Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 9:00 AM ET, 05/28/2009

Forecast: Continued Unsettled Today, Tomorrow

By Josh Larson

But weekend offers improvement...

* Obama's Hurricane Week | Later: Tornadoes, Cars, & Controversy *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy; p.m. thundershowers. Near 80. | Tonight: Cloudy and showery. Mid-60s. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny; scattered thundershowers. Near 80. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

In stark contrast to what has been the pattern the vast majority of the spring long thus far, conditions will actually improve as we head into the weekend rather than the other way around. Though the next 48 hours will remain rather unsettled, with mostly cloudy skies (albeit milder temperatures than the past two days') and periods of showers and thunderstorms, these conditions will be replaced with mainly dry and pleasant conditions for Saturday and Sunday, with temperatures just about where they "should" be for this time of year. Enjoy!

Today (Thursday): As you wake up, we'll still be socked in with foggy and damp conditions and a couple showers here and there. As the day wears on, and the flow becomes more southerly, temperatures will rise to warmer levels -- near 80 -- despite the continued mostly cloudy skies. Showers and thunderstorms will likely redevelop during the late afternoon and evening hours. Rainfall amounts will "average" around 0.25-0.5", but as we saw Tuesday, much heavier amounts can fall in localized storms. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Overcast skies will prevail tonight with almost all locations seeing rounds of showers and thunderstorms. Temperatures will remain on the mild side -- in the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the improving weekend forecast...

Tomorrow (Friday): Though we'll see mostly cloudy skies on Friday and perhaps some early morning showers, there should definitely be some peeks of sun, especially during the late morning and early afternoon hours. Afternoon highs will again be near 80 to perhaps the low 80s in some spots. By the mid-to-late afternoon hours, scattered showers and thunderstorms may re-develop (40% chance west of D.C. to 60% east of D.C.), some of which may be gusty in nature. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Mostly cloudy skies and scattered thundershowers may linger into the evening hours for parts of the area (mainly east of D.C.). While drier air will probably be starting to filter into the region, an umbrella would be well-advised. Overnight lows will drop to the low 60s. Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

As weak high pressure builds back over the area at the surface on Saturday you can plan on partly to mostly sunny skies. However, an afternoon thundershower cannot be entirely ruled out as an upper level wave in the atmosphere ripples through the region. Afternoon highs will rise to the low 80s. Any afternoon or early evening cloud cover will rapidly clear on Saturday night with overnight lows dropping to the low 60s downtown with 50s in the cooler suburbs. Confidence: Medium

Abundant sunshine and dry conditions should prevail on Sunday with humidity at below-normal levels for this time of year -- i.e., a non issue. Afternoon highs will reach the upper 70s to near 80. Seems like a peach of a day to me! Clear and comfortably cool Sunday night, with near-ideal sleeping weather temperatures (at least in my mind) in the mid to upper 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

We'll continue our three-day streak of mostly sunny skies on back-to-work Monday with dry conditions expected once again. But there are indications temperatures may begin a warming trend: high temperatures will likely be warmer -- in the low-to-mid 80s -- with considerably milder overnight lows in the mid 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

By Josh Larson  | May 28, 2009; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Temperatures Slow to Rebound
Next: Confusion on What to Do If Car Meets Tornado

Comments

Feels like summer again. Maybe we're finally done with day time highs in the 60s for a while...

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | May 28, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Why am I having so much trouble breathing?

Oh, hello dew point.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | May 28, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Next highs below 70: Around the time of the autumnal equinox if weather is sunny. We can still get 60's and even 50's during the summer if the sky remains cloudy all day north of a polar frontal boundary.

That batch of rotating cloudiness off the North Carolina coast is now OFFICIALY Tropical Depression #1 and could become "Ana" in six to twelve hours. Hurricane season is early this year.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 28, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: libing0755 | May 30, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company