The new Washington
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 05/30/2009

Forecast: Cooler, Drier, But Not Completely Clear

By Jason Samenow

* Green Your Routine | Car vs. Tornado: What Should You Do? *
* Friday's Storms Round Out One of Wettest Weeks in Months *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny, 20% chance of p.m. thundershowers. Near 80. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 55-62. | Tomorrow: Partly to mostly sunny. Near 80 | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The air will feel so much fresher this morning compared to yesterday and for at least 95% of the weekend, the weather will be spectacular. But a little cold front approaching the region today puts a wrinkle in the forecast as some thundershowers could develop. Outside of that, enjoy the partial sunshine, low humidity, and pleasant temperatures because the heat and humidity begin to build early next week...

Today (Saturday): We'll wake up to a glorious morning with plentiful sunshine and refreshing temperatures right around 60. Temperatures will warm as the day wears on close to the 80 degree mark, though clouds will increase somewhat during the afternoon. By late afternoon or early evening, some scattered thunderstorms could develop (20% chance) as a cold front edges closer to the region. Winds will blow from the northwest at 10 mph or so. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Any isolated shower activity will dissipate after dark, with partly cloudy skies overnight. It will be great sleeping weather with temperatures dipping down to the mid-50s in the cooler suburbs to the low 60s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): As high pressure builds in following the cold front passage early in the morning, partly to mostly sunny skies will result and temperatures will warm into the upper 70s to around 80. A pleasant breeze from the northwest will blow at 10-20 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: The combination of clear skies and calm winds will result in cool temperatures. The cooler suburbs may go as low as the upper 40s, with mid-to-upper 50s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

A warming trend commences on Monday, with temperatures warming into the low 80s under mostly sunny skies. Pleasant Monday night, but milder, with lows 60-68 (suburbs-city). By Tuesday, the humidity kicks in, as the mercury climbs even higher, all the way into the upper 80s. Late Tuesday, a shower or thunderstorm is possible (25% chance).

By Jason Samenow  | May 30, 2009; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Storm Threat Ends, Drier Air to Move In
Next: Forecast: Showers Clear, Then Fair Weather's Here!

Comments

Bombo:
Refer back to Jason's column from yesterday evening. I have responded to the "tongue lashing" you gave me. Enjoy the reading and then get outside and enjoy the delightful sunshine.

A truly beautiful day after witnessing the third wettest May during the past thirty years at my "Breezy Hill". I have received 6.44" which is still .53" below the total for May of 1990 and 1.93" below the very wet May of 2003,which dumped 8.37" at my place.

Hopefully, the remainder of 2009 will average above normal in the rainfall dept.

Beautiful, clear blue sky at 7 am, but a rather chilly start to the day at 50.7 degrees.

Posted by: AugustaJim | May 30, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

The 8 am RUC continues to suggest some instability and possible showers or thundershowers this afternoon or evening.

Posted by: AugustaJim | May 30, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Augusta-

I pretty much concur with Bombo. We don't need rain. What we desperately need is an extended dry period. There is water standing everywhere. The mosquitoes will love that.

Out here at Dulles, we're now 3 inches ABOVE normal for the year. So, we could almost go an entire month and still be around normal for the year.

That said, looks to be another stalled front hanging up yet AGAIN next week.

Worst spring I can remember.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | May 30, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

How interesting...we are up to our GILLS in water, the mold is running rampant, I'm enduring double-digit long waits at Gallery Place for the Yellow Line "MetroArk" to Huntington on the way home from dances at the Chevy Chase Ballroom, the stalled stationary frontal boundaries south of us are behaving more like the Intertropical Convergence Zone near the Panama Canal...and AugustaJim is still whining about a "three-inch rainfall deficit".

To be fair, a check of the map shows me that maybe the Staunton area and Augusta County are in somewhat of an Appalachian rain shadow. If that's so, they can have the rain, as long as it starts letting up around here.

BTW I'm flunking meteorological spring, marking the second consecutive season I've awarded a failing grade, a rarity for me even in Washington's erratic weather zone. It has just been too raw, too windy and too wet for my tastes. The single dry spell in late April was too hot. The best moments were the early March snowstorm and the weekend while the cherry blossoms were peaking.

In addition, global warming may be playing a role. Some years back Hurricane Gilbert was so intense it boasted two separate eyewalls while approaching Cancun and Cozumel at Category 5. Now, thanks to global warming, we seem to have two separate ITCZ's, one in its normal position near Panama and Costa Rica, the other running through Central Virginia! No wonder, we've been getting so much rain! Too bad Augusta County seems to be in the rain shadow. Wonder if Al Gore will catch on.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | May 30, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

When (and where) can we expect to get total May rainfall numbers for DC? I'd like to know how much we actually got for the whole month.

Posted by: DublinTraveler | May 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo:
YOU'RE ARE A RIOT!!

But your almost incessant long-term "whining" about too much rain grows a little drab occasionally. Now, for the second time in less than 24 hrs. I find myself compelled to offer corrective guidance to you.

To "whine" is to "complain in a childish way". Why would I whine when I am quite happy with the above normal rainfall received during the past month after 30 months of averaged below normal precipitation in my area? I have nothing to complain about, therefore I am not prone to "whining". But, you seem to be obsessed with a mindset that compels you to "whine" frequently, though you are entertaining!!!

Concerning rainfall deficits year to date, since this seems to be a tender subject for you, let's travel 100 miles to my southeast, completely away from local considerations where my judgment or attitude may be biased.

We now find ourselves at Richmond International Airport, where the rainfall year to date is 12.71", compared to a normal of 17.52". My goodness! a 4.81" deficit for the year!! That puts Charlottesville's 3 inch deficit to shame! Richmond must be in a more pronounced
"rain shadow" area than Staunton.

Yes, Reagan National is 1.25" above normal year to date. Many in the Richmond area would be very happy to suffer that surplus.

Oh, by the way, be careful what you ask for. Any widespread area that receives no more rain until mid or late July as you suggested to be desirable last night will surely qualify for drought disaster designation.

Until we chat again, have a Great Weekend El Bombo !!

Posted by: AugustaJim | May 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

DublinTraveler:
Reagan National has received 7.82 inches in May.

This compares to a normal of 3.58, but is rather dry compared to May of 2008 when Reagan received 9.21" !!

Posted by: AugustaJim | May 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Enough whining about this spring, although it has indeed been a little on the wet side. Spring and early summer, last year, in the D.C. area, were FAR worse than what we have had so far this year. We had almost constant severe thunderstorms for three months last year....from late April through late July. Late May through late June, last year, was the worst period for severe weather (as it usually is around here), but, unlike a normal year, the violent storms, last year, just didn't let up until August.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | May 30, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

MMCarhelp:

THANK YOU !!!!!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | May 30, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I am very sad to find two of my most favorite commenters commenting sharply to one another. :-(

Posted by: --sg | May 30, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm relieved to hear I'm not crazy in sensing the rain has been excessive for our area. As for those who dismiss concerned posters as "whiners" I'm baffled at their whining about "whining". My yard has been so soggy, it reminds me of Houston, where I lived before moving here to experience a climate medically recognized as healthier.

When the crawdads move in, I'm moving to New England before the water roaches invade and eat books I bought to replace the ones they ate in Houston.

Posted by: jhbyer | May 30, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

so i go to bed, but first i read your forcast. ok no problem no rain overnight great. well its 4 am and guess what? we are geting slammed by a t-storm. so outside i go to roll my windows up. you guys louse up a forcast at times.

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | May 31, 2009 4:10 AM | Report abuse

I just woke up to thunder and lightning and very heavy rain. We can even go 24 hours without precipitation nowadays....

Posted by: david_in_stafford | May 31, 2009 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Had the same experience about 10 minutes ago in Lake Ridge - I'm online to make sure there aren't any warnings I need to know about.

Posted by: meta2 | May 31, 2009 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Folks, the overnight rain is totally my fault. I left the top down on the Jeep ... my bad.

Posted by: joseph4 | May 31, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Lack of rain forecast is my fault. I had it in the forecast for yesterday evening, but not overnight. Before I went to bed around 11 p.m., I realized there was a good chance of storms early in the morning, but I thought it was covered in Brian's forecast (which I had just reviewed) which was going up at 5 a.m. The storms came in an hour before that. I had no idea so many people would be up at 4 a.m. and would take notice! I should've posted a quick update in hindsight.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | May 31, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse