The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:06 AM ET, 06/ 9/2009

Early Morning Severe Storms Rocking Area

By Jason Samenow

* Get There: Severe T-Storms Cause Road Flooding, Downed Trees *

An intense line of storms is roaring through the metro area. These storms have dangerous lightning, VERY loud thunder, torrential rain and strong, gusty winds. Some hail is possible as well. The storms should be through Fairfax County by 6:20 a.m., the District by 6:40, and eastern Montgomery and Prince George's county by 7:00 a.m. The storms will impact the eastern suburbs (Anne Arundel, Charles, and Calvert counties) between 7 and 8 a.m.

From the National Weather Service:

HAIL TO THE SIZE OF PENNIES AND WIND GUSTS TO 60 MPH CAN BE EXPECTED IN THE WARNED AREA. STAY INDOORS AND AWAY FROM WINDOWS UNTIL THE STORM HAS PASSED.

By Jason Samenow  | June 9, 2009; 6:06 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: ElectionCast: Storms May Soak Va. Voters
Next: Forecast: Some Summer and Some Thunder

Comments

Just woke up to lots of loud thunder, some lightning...but so far no rain here in Lake Ridge.

Posted by: meta2 | June 9, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Thunder was so loud it shook our house in NW DC. Vivid lightning. Quite a storm.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Good grief, you aren't kidding when you say loud thunder... Just about jumped out of my skin a few times here in Bethesda.

Posted by: JedinBethesda | June 9, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Largest "early morning" storm I've seen in a long, long time... Briefly lost power here in Arlington, but clearly I was already up as the storm made sure of that @ 5:30.... grrr

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Almost constant lightning in Beltsville and the thunder is very loud. Not as much rain as I might have expected.

Posted by: ana_b | June 9, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

What are our chances of seeing some more storms this afternoon?

Posted by: wecndo | June 9, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

I'll take waking up to a storm like that over an alarm clock any day. I agree with previous commenters about the intensity of the thunder. The only storm I remember with thunder as loud was the June 26, 2006 storm -- also an off-hours storm. That one woke me up 1:30 a.m. with some of the fiercest thunder and lightning I've ever seen. The lightning was so frequent I had an almost constant view of the trees ripping in the wind in Glover Park. It also was the first shot in what would lead to some serious DC flooding. More importantly, it's what led me to Capital Weather on the old indie site.

Posted by: ParkerGP | June 9, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

What makes lightning louder? Are the clouds lower to the ground or does it have to do with the amount of energy released?

Posted by: k9frizb | June 9, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

JedinBethesda. I live there, too. I have NEVER heard thunder that loud and I even have my AC unit running right next to the bed, which usually dulls a lot of sounds. Can't imagine how loud it was outside. WOW. I love thunderstorms.

And, to follow up on k9fizb, what made it soooooo loud, Cap Gang?

Posted by: Sec131 | June 9, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

@wecndo

Yes-- more storms may pop this afternoon, I'd say 50-60% chance, per our full forecast.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

A good backgrounder on thunder can be found here. It offers some info on different thunder clap volumes. It has to do with the distance away you are from the storm as well as the length of the lightning discharge.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Whew! That must've been one of the loudest lightening storms I've ever heard in my life!! One of the thunder was so loud it scared the bejeezus out of me and caused the alarm on some cars in my neighborhood to go off in Chevy Chase. My poor dog was attached to my hip the whole time, lol. Wow, it was really an amazing storm. I even saw one person at 6am walking to the metro in the height of this storm, I thought this person was crazy!!

Posted by: skins82 | June 9, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Extremely loud, prolonged thunderstorms rocked us out of bed at 5:40 a.m. ... had to rescue an outside umbrella and it was like standing in a warm waterfall. We got .25 of an inch out of it ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | June 9, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Well that was fun this morning. The fire alarm went off in our building in NW just after the first thunderclap--obviously, there was no fire...quite a comical morning.

Posted by: ajbouche | June 9, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Both my cats were under the bed, and I was sorely tempted to join them. That was one seriously loud storm.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 9, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

ParkerGP, I agree that I'll take waking up to a storm like that to waking up to an alarm clock any day!

I want to know who set the storm so early though. I wasn't due to wake up for at least another hour and a half.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | June 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Omigosh, so that's what that vivid dream/nightmare I had early this morning was all about! It sounded like it was all taking place on the roof of my apartment building (just a few blocks west of the WH) and the whole building shook several times. I just incorporated the whole thing into my dream.

Posted by: LongTimeRez | June 9, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse