The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:10 PM ET, 06/ 9/2009

Intense Line of Storms Rips Through Region

By Ian Livingston

Large hail and damaging winds reported

* Severe T-Storm Warnings for Much of Metro Area (See Map Below) *
* Flash Flood Watch till 11 PM | Severe T-Storm Watch till 9 PM *
* Full Forecast | Outside Right Now? See Radar & More: Weather Wall *
* Check out live power outage maps for Virginia and D.C. *

The intense line of thunderstorms moving through the immediate metro area from northwest to southeast, between approximately 4:30 and 6:30 p.m., has a history of producing hail near 0.75 inches in diameter (nickel size) and larger, and damaging winds to near 70 mph. A big concern, with so much rain recently, is localized flash flooding -- don't try to drive through high water. The potential for severe weather should persist through sunset where the line has not yet moved through, as the energy to fuel storms won't be lacking thanks to today's humidity and highs in the mid-to-upper 80s.

By Ian Livingston  | June 9, 2009; 5:10 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reader Mail: Use of the Dewpoint Should Die
Next: Severe Thunderstorms Begin Departing Region

Comments

Great, another commute impacted.

I'm openly wishing for a drought now. Just kidding.

But an extended dry period wouldn't bother me in the least.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | June 9, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

What is that loop in the metro area in the radar? Don't tell me it is base reflectivity..

Posted by: chetupadhyay | June 9, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

chetupadhyay

It appears to be base. Whats wrong with it??

Posted by: clintonportis17 | June 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Tornado warning in NE Maryland.

Posted by: Murre | June 9, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Getting very dark, very quickly here on the PG/MoCo border. Those storms look like they are closing in fast. Be safe everyone.

Posted by: ana_b | June 9, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone care to predict what time those storms will hit Wolf Trap?

I have tickets to tonight's Pink Martini concert. Good thing I got pavillion tickets.

Posted by: TonyFo | June 9, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@TonyFo

Storms should pass through Wolf Trap in the next hour

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Today's storms have included risk of hail. Do you know whether the storms later in the week are expected to be as severe? (I have to decide whether to leave my car in an open lot for a few days or in a parking garage -- I dealt with bad hail damage on a previous car and don't want to repeat the experience.) Thanks.

Posted by: Janine1 | June 9, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Here it comes in Merrifield! The winds are gusting up and the sky in the NW is very dark.

Posted by: --sg | June 9, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Any hail reports out there?

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Street lights just came on in downtown Bethesda due to darkness.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | June 9, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

About ten minutes ago, we had high wiind microbursts here in Bethesda (on the MD/DC line), and now we have sheets of rain, thunder, and lightning. It makes me extremely glad I'm indoors.

If I can impose on the CapitalWeatherGang, does anyone have a sense of when the storms will end? I'm supposed to pick up a friend from the bus stop in Capitol Hill around 10:15, 10:30ish, and I'm wondering what conditions are going ot be like....

Posted by: JedinBethesda | June 9, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Will the storms have moved past Merriweather Post Pavilion by 7:30 tonight?

Posted by: nmoses | June 9, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@Janine

Thursday's storms could also be strong

@Jed

These storms are racing by. Mostly light and spotty precip behind these storms.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

@nmoses: Yes.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Posted by: JedinBethesda | June 9, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

moving through University Park MD as I type-thunder, lightning and lots of rain!

Posted by: jhwpro | June 9, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Got stuck at work here in Aspen Hill. Storm started right when I was about to leave for work, and I didn't feel like driving through hail AGAIN.

Except I never saw any hail. The lights flickered a few times, but no hail. Now I'm just waiting for it to get a little further south so I can drive into DC without catching up to it.

Still raining a bit here, but wind really died down. Good luck DC!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | June 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

The radar animation on the home page is 22 minutes old. Is that the best you can do? (5:01 pm data at 5:23 pm)

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | June 9, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Amazing dark cloud, with a straight edge at the front, over Union Station & Capitol Hill.

Posted by: Janine1 | June 9, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@Barack's....

Hamweather fail? Current radar is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/index.html?hpid=weather-sidecar

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@Janine1, Got the same cloud sent to us via the twitter to @DCWeatherAlerts (re-tweeted it for those interested).

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap! Just saw the biggest cloud to ground lightning strike I've ever seen. It was sustained for a good 3-4 seconds.

And there's a lot of lightning here in general.

Posted by: JedinBethesda | June 9, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

@BaracksTeleprompter

Radar just updated.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Late-afternoon/early evening thunderstorms....definitely the start to another summer in D.C. This amazing to watch from indoors, but be safe if you have to travel - only do so if necessary. They'll be clearing out quickly, so you might want to wait if you have to drive.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The lightning is intense, I need to head out to be somewhere at six but I think I'm going to wait a few minutes to see if the lightning lets up any.

Posted by: ana_b | June 9, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Dark and very swirly clouds here in Manassas. Strong gusts and a few big drops coming down. Is there any rotation in this area? Looks like those kind of clouds...

Posted by: manassasmissy | June 9, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Saw clouds with lots of rotation over Dupont about 15 mins ago. Very cool! Surprised there's no hail.

Posted by: dcwarren | June 9, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Minimal rain so far here in Lake Ridge, but lots of rumbles of thunder and some pretty interesting circular winds that are doing a number on the trees out back. Guess I'm going to have to wait to phone in the pizza...

Posted by: meta2 | June 9, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

We had about three minutes of dime sized hail in NW Montgomery. Not enough to do any damage. Lots of lightning and heavy rain. Rainfall totals will follow.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 9, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Dime sized hail here in east Manassas...

Posted by: manassasmissy | June 9, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA western Fairfax county - commuting home from Manassas was NO FUN at all today. Spectacular storm clouds & lots of northwesterly lightning fun to watch, but dangerous wind blasts suddenly began blowing dust/debris across road before cloudburst & terrible visibility at 5:22. Driving rain, scary wind & closing lightning/thunder for about 15 minutes. No hail. Winds are calm with light rain now but there is still of lot of lightning/thunder...not quite far enough away for a walk around just yet. Be safe out there !

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | June 9, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 61.5 with frequent lightning.

WOW! There was so much hail! It was the first time I saw that much. It was an amazing experience. I took a few pictures of it. I also took pictures of the sinister clouds in the sky before it started to rain and hail. They looked swirly and scary. It was very exciting!

Posted by: Yellowboy | June 9, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Hardly any rain fell here in Manassas, just the hail and now that's gone. Lots of lightning/thunder remains.

Posted by: manassasmissy | June 9, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The line of storms is mostly through Glover Park. It seemed to quickly weaken or split around me just before arriving since the rain never really maxed out and the winds faded as the storm passed over. But the lightening was particularly intense, so anyone to the southeast, please stay safe. The winds in the gust front were pretty impressive though and brought down a few large limbs in the park right off 37th St. No hail, but I'll post some pics to CWG's weather photos section of the amazing gust front clouds as they came through. It's been a while since I've seen clounds boil like that. Already looking forward to Thursday!

Posted by: ParkerGP | June 9, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Hail that fell, courtesy of Kim Martucci via Twitter....

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA - It is still very dark with lots of dangerous lightning here. The rain is just sprinkles....looks like we got close to another inch. Thunder & lightning just won't let up, and it is very much cooler!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | June 9, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Got very dark around 5:30 in Del Ray/Alexandria, some nice lightning and one brief wind gust, but other than some rain for awhile, storm here didn't seem that bad. Certainly no hail.

Posted by: aaronsinger | June 9, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Even though radar shows the severe part of the storm long gone I think that something might be trying to develop on the back end. Still getting lightning and loud thunder in NW Montgomery even though the rain has stopped. Total rain is .37 inches.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 9, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

@baracks

I think for time there our radar vendor's server was overloaded due to the high traffic, which is why the radar wasn't updating punctually. We've let them know so they can look into the problem and avoid in the future.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | June 9, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse