The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 06/30/2009

PM Update: Spotty Showers, Otherwise Fair

By Ian Livingston

Scattered PM showers/thundershowers Wednesday

* The Superiority of Dew Point | VORTEX2 Gets Useful Data *

Outside a few scattered showers, and increased afternoon cloudiness, today ended up being fairly pleasant for a time of year when we are often baking in high heat and humidity. Highs climbed up into the low-and-mid 80s most spots before being tempered a bit by increased cloudiness and/or rain. A few additional showers are possible headed into evening, but they should be relatively isolated from here out.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Isolated showers or thundershowers will come to an end around sunset with the loss of daytime heating. Skies should be partly to mostly clear the rest of the night with lows in the mid-60s for the suburbs and upper 60s downtown.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): If you were OK with today you'll probably like tomorrow -- it should see a near repeat. After starting mostly sunny skies will trend cloudier as the day progresses. During the afternoon and evening there's a risk of showers and thundershowers again, probably a bit more widespread than today. Highs should head for the low 80s most spots.

See Jason Samenow's full forecast through the Fourth of July weekend
And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

NWS Radars: The National Weather Service (NWS) is seeking input on proposed next generation radar displays. Check out the continental U.S. image to play around with the various features, and don't forget to drop the NWS a note on what you like or what could be improved.

By Ian Livingston  | June 30, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dictating the Superiority of Dew Point
Next: Forecast: Chance of Showers, Thunder Today

Comments

Is it me or does it take foreverrr for the new NWS radar displays to load? I have high speed and all but it takes a while for everything to load on the map.

Posted by: RWJ1990 | June 30, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

RWJ1990, it took a long time for me too and then I had some other issues. I decided not to make my own comment on it hree because of those difficulties. ;) I assume they will work out any bugs.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Storms just to my south are providing some beautiful skies here in Columbia. Wish my apt didn't have a giant tree right in front of it...

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 30, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Well good because I thought it was my computer. After everything finally loaded after about 20 mins. Some things still did not work right. Overall I do like the set up that they do have. With some adjustments, it will be nice to use!

Posted by: RWJ1990 | June 30, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Rain and some thunder being heard above the CD, here on the edge of Takokma Park.

Posted by: Murre | June 30, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

deluge here in arlington. started around 8, seemed to stop briefly around 8:15 or so. about 5 minutes ago i heard pound, pound, pound and asked my husband, "is it raining again?" now there is no doubt; i can't even see out my apt. window.

Posted by: dinermail | June 30, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Thundershower dumped on me just as I was going to the dance. I DO NOT like this because it got my feet wet & that's simply not good for dancing...you become "lead-footed" on the dance floor with wet feet...sure wish that AugustaJim and the other rain fans could find a way to turn this over-producing rain-machine off!!!

What NWS needs to consider now is "NEXRAD-Plus", a melding of the NEXRAD Doppler radars with all the private Doppler radars owned by the TV stations, and the military weather radars. We will have a much better view inside individual storms when all the Doppler radars available are simulcasting their views of the individual storm cells from various angles. In addition, is there any way to get VORTEX2 mobile Doppler radars into an area such as Metro D.C. in advance of an event such as the approach of Hurricane Isabel? It might be useful and cost effective to utilize these mobile radar units in areas due for hurricane or other major storm strikes during the offseason.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 1, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse