The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 8:14 PM ET, 06/ 9/2009

Storms End After Sweeping Through Region

By Jason Samenow

Large hail and damaging winds reported

* Watches and Warnings Have Expired *
* Outside Right Now? See Radar & More: Weather Wall | Full Forecast *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Storms Cut Power to Thousands and Down White House Tree *

IMG_0101.jpg
Storm clouds gather over Dupont Circle earlier this evening. By CWG's Ian Livingston via I-phone.

storm-reports-june09-09.jpg
Storm reports over the region from NOAA's Storm Prediction Center. Reports of large hail are in green and damaging wind in blue.

Phew. The storms have now passed safely to our southeast after pummeling much of the metro region with torrential rain, thunder, vivid lightning, pockets of hail (mostly pea-sized), and strong winds. We should see a break from rain and storms for the next several hours, although a few storms can't be ruled out later on tonight (but just a 30% chance). Temperatures will settle in the 60s.

Some of our Twitter followers posted some dramatic photos of the storms.

*@pong photographed the scene from atop the roof patio of the Car Barn in Georgetown
*@itsabeta says: "Check out them hail stones!"
*@maureenpetron captured the view from her delayed plane at National Airport.
*@lizbart shares the view from K and Vermont.

Also, check out this cool video of the storm raking Falls Church, Va. posted on You Tube by frequent CWG commenter stinkerflat1.

What was your storm experience? Let us know in the comment area. And feel free to link to your photos and videos...

By Jason Samenow  | June 9, 2009; 8:14 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Severe Thunderstorms Begin Departing Region
Next: NatCast: Storms a Threat Once Again

Comments

Much like a storm last week, this is displaying some awesome cloud-to-cloud lightning in the distance.

Posted by: aaronsinger | June 9, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: idiparker | June 9, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey, were there mammatus clouds over Aspen Hill (et al) today? Right before the rain started, I saw something that looked like the picture you posted last week. Very low in the sky.

They weren't quite as...ahem...voluptuous as they could have been, but they looked like mammatus clouds.

Or was I just hoping I saw something cool and it really wasn't anything at all?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | June 9, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

This line of storms was very impressive as I watched them approach from my window. In fact, I could actually see a large area of dust being whipped up about a mile or two away... thought it might be a tornado developing but was probably just a microburst. Lasted a good 20 seconds, though.

And the commute home after the storms was much better than I was expecting!

Posted by: JTF- | June 9, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else lose power? I was out for about 4 hours so I wandered over to Merriweather to watch the Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction concert. It got pretty chilly with the breeze. Also had some small hail before I got home, pea-sized. There wasn't any falling on my car whilst sitting on the beltway though, thankfully.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | June 10, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse