The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 9:30 AM ET, 07/ 6/2009

Forecast: Another Cooler Than Average Week

By Jason Samenow

Nice Monday to kick things off...

* Outside Right Now? See Radar, Temps & More: Weather Wall *
* June Recap: Another Wet Month *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. 83-86. | Tonight: Mostly clear. 60-66. | Tomorrow: Partly sunny, p.m. shower? 83-86. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Customary summertime heat and humidity continues to elude the metro region, but I'm hearing few complaints. The week begins with a couple of very nice days before cold fronts bring back periodic chances of showers and storms primarily late Tuesday, late Wednesday into Thursday, and late Saturday into Sunday. These fronts will keep the hot, sticky air to our south and west, and it now looks as though we'll make it through the first 13 days of July without a 90-degree day (after only logging 2 during June).

Today (Monday): After yesterday's cool and cloudy day in the 70s, we're rewarded with some sunshine. That will help boost high temperatures into the mid-80s. A light wind from the north will refresh and keep the humidity relatively low with dew points in the upper 50s. Confidence: High

Tonight: Mostly clear and pleasant. Lows will dip to around 60 in the cooler suburbs, with mid-60s downtown. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend....

Tomorrow (Tuesday): For much of the day, we'll have a good deal of sunshine. But during the afternoon, we'll start to see some high clouds feed in as a cold front to the northwest pushes southeastward. Highs will reach the mid-80s, with a light wind from the west. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: An isolated shower or thunderstorm is possible (20% chance) during the evening (particularly north of D.C.). Otherwise, it will be partly cloudy, with lows 59-65 (suburbs-city) Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Most of Wednesday will be partly sunny and pleasant with highs 82-86. However, late in the afternoon or during the evening, another cold front could (30% chance) set off a few showers and thundershowers. Any shower activity should then dissipate later at night, with lows 60-65 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

Wednesday night's cold front may stall in our vicinity Thursday, increasing cloud cover and the chances for showers and thunderstorms (30% chance) during the day and into the evening. Highs may only be in the 70s to near 80. Some rain may linger into Thursday night, with lows in the 60s. Confidence: Medium

Weak high pressure probably builds back into the region for Friday. So sunshine is a good bet, along with warm temperatures and comfortable humidity. Highs will likely be in the low-to-mid 80s. Mostly clear and pleasant Friday night, with lows 59-64 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

Saturday looks mainly nice, with partly sunny skies and temperatures reaching for the mid-80s. Towards evening and overnight, another cold front heads for the region, giving us another shot at showers and thunderstorms, with temperatures dropping towards the 60s. Confidence: Medium

Showers may linger into part of Sunday, before gradual clearing commences. Highs will probably again be in the low-to-mid 80s. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Jason Samenow  | July 6, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Showers May Stay Mainly South
Next: June Recap: Another Wet Month

Comments

The precipitation pattern this year seems very similar to last year with a very wet spring followed by the typical browning of July and August. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be that a 30% chance of thunderstorms in late April through early June is not the same as a 30% chance in late June through August. I think 30% is kind of a BS number that is chosen and more often than not in the spring the number should be closer to 50%.

Posted by: rocotten | July 6, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I'll complain - I miss summer! I have to put up with winter around here to get a few short months of hot weather and it's just not happening. I think I need to go west. :)

Posted by: rumbly45 | July 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope you're not serious rumbly -- it's not like this isn't summer. It's just pleasant summer instead of insanely unpleasant.

It looks like prediction of 26 90 degree days is going to be way high. We're going to be halfway through july with only 3 all year, so 6 weeks to pick up another 20 or so? That will be miserable if it happens.

Posted by: ah___ | July 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

For once we're getting a Northwoods-style summer...cool spells without the stifling dampness which actually makes the hot weather more bearable. It's probably due to a few volcanoes plus our Maunder-style sunspot minimum, though the global-warming crowd may be surprised to learn that good old H2O and not CO2 may be the primary culprit in THAT area. [You also have to get the water WAY UP in the atmosphere at the noctilucent-cloud level.]

The rain is also drying up some. I think we have enough ground water now to last till September.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@ ah___

If rumbly isn't serious, I am. I hate winter with a passion and suffer through it just to get a few months of heat and humidity. I love to feel the heat. Trust me, the day I retire, I'm moving someplace where there are no winters.

Here's to hoping for a turnaround and a change in the pattern soon before we run out of summer months.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | July 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring--I happen to like winter, but certainly respect differing opinions. I'm just amazed that anyone likes it as hot as DC gets in the (typical) summer with all the humidity to boot.

Different strokes adn all that I guess.

Posted by: ah___ | July 6, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse