The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:20 PM ET, 07/10/2009

PM Update: Lovely End to Nice Work-Week Weather

By Ian Livingston

Warmer on Saturday, some storminess late?

* D.C. A Summer Sweet Spot, So Far | El Niño = Less Hurricanes? *

We squeezed out one more very nice day today even though humidity levels have begun to tick back up slightly. Numerous afternoon cumulus clouds drifting by overhead have been the only real weather story, as highs once again rise to the lower 80s across much of the area. If you can skip out of work early, it's going to be another lovely afternoon and evening with clouds likely decreasing again.

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: After evening temperatures fall through the 70s, we should see partly cloudy conditions persist through most of the night. With a bit more humidity, temperatures will be a little warmer than recent. Lows mainly in the low-to-mid 60s.

Tomorrow (Saturday): Skies will be partly sunny much of the day, though scattered showers or storms may become an issue by late afternoon. The below-average temperature regime of recent departs and we warm back to near-or-above average highs in the mid-to-upper 80s. Right now, it looks like most activity will hold off till evening or overnight, when a line of storms may pass through.

See Camden Walker's full forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

El Niño is Born: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced that El Niño has officially arrived and it is expected to continue through the winter. Major impacts through September should focus on regions near the central and west-central Pacific Ocean. The United States does not typically see the worst of El Niño till fall and winter. Mentioned previously, many believe El Niño lessens the severity of the Atlantic Hurricane Season and Matt Rogers noted earlier this week that a developing El Niño often means a relatively cool and wet summer around here, as we have seen so far.

By Ian Livingston  | July 10, 2009; 3:20 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. - A Sweet Spot for This Summer's Weather
Next: Forecast: Stickier Saturday with Storms at Night

Comments

Once again I have no weather issues for tonight's big dance, but am hoping that any lightning tomorrow holds off until after 8 PM by which time I should be at or near the Spanish Ballroom in Glen Echo Park.

The big El Nino question in this corner is how it's gonna affect the coming winter's snow chances. Recent El Nino's have tended to be "busts" in that category, with 1997/98 being the absolute "pits" [nothing but wind-driven rain all winter, though we had a couple of good thunderstorms during the generally lightning-free winter months]. Total snowfall that winter was a tenth of an inch, and that was around Dec. 3, 1997.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Bombo:
Be very careful! I had 33.20 inches during 97-98 and areas close to me had over 100 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | July 10, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Based on the above comments, are you telling me that we won't have much of snow this coming winter just because we have a relatively cool summer? Please please don't tell me that... don't crush my winter dreams...

(and I was THERE during the 1997 El Nino in Southern California-- I was in seventh grade--for almost everyday, I had to bring an umbrella or a raincoat as I trotted through the rain to show up for my classes. Being a teenager was more difficult when you had wet hair stuck on your face and shoes making sloshing noises.)

Posted by: SanDieganLostinDC | July 10, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

There's not much reason to think this would be like the 97/98 nino. Early thoughts on winter around here from various sources seem fairly positive, though they often are too much so.. ;)

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 10, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Let's not rain (or snow) on the winter parade just yet .... just enjoy the incredibly comfortable and beautiful summer we've been having thus far!

Posted by: weathergrrl | July 10, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Ian, the mood over at easterns seems to be VERY positive right now. Positive in July, I'm very skeptical lol.

Posted by: RWJ1990 | July 11, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

A cool video for you BIG weather lovers out there: Train vs. Tornado.

Posted by: EFroh | July 11, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

RWJ1990, I think many are banking on it being a weakish el-nino which can be 'money' around here if you're a snow lover. I'm always skeptical with these early long-range calls, or even long-range calls at the start of winter. A lot of it's guessing in my opinion. Even a perfect setup fails to produce from time to time. At least we'll have something to watch for though.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 11, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse