The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:15 PM ET, 07/23/2009

PM Update: Storms Soaking Some Spots

By Ian Livingston

Near-average temperatures Friday; isolated storm late?

* Outside Now? Radar, Temps & More: Weather Wall | Lightning Map *
* NatCast | It's Not the Heat | Cool Summer ... Not Everywhere *

More July heat and humidity has led to scattered showers and storms that bubbled up this afternoon. They should continue to be hit-or-miss through evening, but with lots of moisture available in the air, locally heavy rain is possible as well as dangerous lightning. Otherwise, highs that rose to the mid-80s will drop back (at least temporarily) a good 10 degrees or so where rain falls, while elsewhere slowly drifting back into the 70s by around sunset.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Amid the mugginess, scattered showers and thunderstorms -- some with very heavy rain -- continue into the evening before dwindling. There may be an additional isolated shower after midnight, but not many places will see one. Lows settle in the 65-70 range most spots.

Tomorrow (Friday): We should witness more in the way of sunshine to end the work week and less in the way of rain chances. Still, there's a chance of isolated showers and storms in the afternoon and evening. Highs look to range from the mid-80s to near 90. A west wind should bring down the humidity levels a bit.

See Camden Walker's full forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Tropics: All is still fairly quiet in the tropics. A system just offshore is on track to run into Long Island and New England later today, so it's unlikely it will develop too much, and it only has minimal tropical characteristics as is. It should produce pretty satellite images the rest of the day, as well as heavy rain and perhaps some flash flooding where it comes ashore.

By Ian Livingston  | July 23, 2009; 6:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's Not the Heat...
Next: NatCast: Diminishing Storm Chances

Comments

hmmph, not a drop of rain here in Beltsville.

Posted by: ana_b | July 23, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Why is Accuweather reporting no precipitation for D.C. from 2pm to 3pm today? I work about 4 blocks from Reagan National and it poured for a good 45 minutes here.

I demand accuracy when measuring rainfall amounts!

Posted by: shoveit | July 23, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

If the reported totals were from National Airport then it's because they did not get measurable rain past a trace. Areas just north did see a fair amount more.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Storms forming all around me in NW Montgomery. .94 inches so far. First measurable rain in three weeks.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 23, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Good rain and lightning in Glover Park now. Airport still getting missed..

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it but it is actually raining!

Again!

Posted by: Murre | July 23, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Will the current line of storms hit DCA or just north here in Chinatown?

Posted by: dcbat | July 23, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

WOW. Annandale. No wind. No rain. "Only" horrendously loud crashing thunder and bright lightning.

Oops, here comes the rain...

Posted by: jhbyer | July 23, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope that line of storms on the radar over western Fauquier hangs together and makes its way to Loudoun...we can't buy a drop of rain around here!

Posted by: natsncats | July 23, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

DCA up to .50 on the day as of a few minutes ago -- .76 on the month. 'Driest ever' chances now looking slim based on radar.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

High and dry! Beautiful clear blue sky and low humidity here in the Valley. 69 degrees and falling, no AC needed tonight!

Posted by: AugustaJim | July 23, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Drove through a very heavy downpour about 45 minutes ago between Markham and Linden. 15/16" of rain in my bucket.
64.2F currently

Posted by: spgass1 | July 23, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

.76" here from the storm that passed through Chinatown about 8pm...looks like we might get another 1/2 to an inch of rain with the next line in about an hour...already see lightning off to the west...those storms that passed through the District really seemed to intensify as they moved east of town...vivid lightning display for the past 45 minutes east and south of Chinatown

Posted by: dcbat | July 23, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

finally seeing some rain here in Ashburn! Whoops it's probably not going to last too long.

a repost of follow up from the previous thread:
**********************************************

spgass1 - thanx for clearing up for me. I've been too buried in meetings to explain myself well. My experience has been out of these 100 "60% chance rain" days I've been seen rain in only 20-30 of them. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Now, 20% chance shower? Forget about it!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | July 23, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else have rainfall totals from around the District?

Posted by: dcbat | July 23, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Finally got our rain in Beltsville, impressive looking line out there on radar, I think we'll get wet at least one more time tonight.

Posted by: ana_b | July 23, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone for another round?

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

7 rounds is enough! but, ugh, another one entering the Beltway. will soak downtown in 20 minutes... blah! :( so much for going out. I give up! haha

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Got a super-soaker going on right now in Lake Ridge, plus enough thunder and lightning that I'm running my laptop on battery power.

Posted by: meta2 | July 23, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

bring on another round. the last one just missed me in rosslyn (no rain at least), so i think i'll get wet this time. going out for some more svr wx photos

Posted by: Peter_L_inmclean | July 23, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Rain just starting up in Takoma Park again. Thunder has been rumbling for the past 10 minutes.

Posted by: Murre | July 23, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

First thunderclap of the night just happened in Columbia. I hope it stays together to keep me entertained.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 23, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Today's monsoons made a good dent in Capitol Hill's July drought!

And my car needed the bath.

Posted by: DagnyT | July 23, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

West Springfield- rainfall as of 10:40pm ET = 0.71"

Nice! My faith in rain is restored.

Posted by: bikerjohn | July 23, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Here's what's been happening...

First: 2-3 PM...a few scattered raindrops, then took the bus to Ballston & found evidence of puddles from heavy rainfall...must have been locally heavy in places.

8 PM: Thunderstorm with brief period of heavy rain wets driveways and sidewalks. No wind, but something knocked out my power for a minute or two & cut out my phone in mid-conversation.

10-11 PM: Another round of thunderstorms, with quite a bit of rain, then passing through. Fox5 says it's a cold front.

This should green up the lawns a bit, but may lead to more mosquito breeding...can't believe that AugustaJim is getting nothing...maybe that's why he keeps calling for more...unfortunately it's hitting US in town, and not impacting the Valley.

Not sure if I'm going to the dance tomorrow evening, as the Friday night Balboa dances @ Chevy Chase are being rather sparsely attended...may wait & see if Metro is reporting any huge disruptions before I commit, now that I get their online real-time service reports...Weekend looks to be at least half-good, but rather too humid...

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 23, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse