The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 07/31/2009

Strong to Severe Storms Pounding Parts of Area

By Capital Weather Gang

* Alert: Tree Down on I-66 in Arlington, Lanes Blocked *
* Full Forecast | Outside Now? Radar, Temps and More: Weather Wall *

A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for the metro area until 9 p.m. An area of showers and storms has moved in from the west, some of which may be strong to severe with large hail, damaging winds to 65 mph and dangerous lightning. There's also a slight tornado chance. While the entire area is at risk for showers and storms this afternoon, the best chances for high rain totals and severe weather are from the District northward.

A tornado warning had been issued for Western Carroll County and East Central Frederick Co. in North Central Md. from 2:15 to 2:45 p.m. where wind damage (multiple reports of roof/home damage and large trees taken down) was reported along with a confirmed gust to 74 mph.

The shower and storm threat could be out of here by early evening.

Monitor severe warnings issued by the National Weather Service and radar on our Severe Weather Tracking Station below. Also, comment below with conditions where you are. And see our full forecast into early next week.

Severe Weather Tracking Station
Warning Text: DC | MD | VA * New: Lightning Map
Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger.
LWX Warnings
Warnings: Severe alerts from National Weather Service. Updates w/o refresh (most browsers). Hint: Alert on map? Click matching label in key for details.

By Capital Weather Gang  | July 31, 2009; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alert: Tree Down on I-66 in Arlington
Next: PM Update: Storms Depart, Quiet Night Ahead

Comments

Watch those frontrunning isolated/sct cells (mainly north of DC with a few others trying to pop) for any possible spinning activity.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Strongest activity currently over southern Montgomery County... No severe reports yet. Some more storms developing to south ahead of the main line, and the main line itself need to be watched. Most of the action will occur over the next couple hours.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The first batch seems to be heading north of us. The second solid line of storms should hit us in 2 or 3 hours. It is moving down from Front Royal/Winchester/Berryville, and it seems to be clear behind that line.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | July 31, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Main line could have some big wind, been increasing... new warnings out cover a larger area.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Just got dumped on by the first line that blew up ahead of the main line of storms. Not a lot of thunder (well loud thunder the windows are pretty well insulated in my office) but we did get a lot of rain in a short period of time. Sun is peeking out again.

Posted by: ana_b | July 31, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Bow echo about to come right though columbia...

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Bah, whole lot o' nuthin'

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

An hour ago there was some thunder and a brief burst of rain. Now some light rain has started up. I'm sure there's more to come.

Posted by: Murre | July 31, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Very strong winds and torrential rains in Friendship Heights... brief power outage.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Very heavy rain, strong winds, but no thunder or lightning here in Lake Ridge. However, about half an hour ago I had two wrens that were frantically trying to get into my house through a closed window...I'm not taking that as a good sign.

Posted by: meta2 | July 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

My outside office got flooded. Oh well, gave me an excuse to knock off for the day.

Posted by: epjd | July 31, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I love reading the capital weather gang blog. It makes life around here SO interesting. Thank, God...

Posted by: zen99 | July 31, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Bombo47jea,

Your prediction was right!
I think.

I don't know where those places are, but the storm moved into Gaithersburg at the hour you predicted!

That's cool.
How do you do that?

Posted by: zen99 | July 31, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Bah, whole lot o' nuthin'

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | July 31, 2009 2:59 PM

Brian,
That's VERY funny.
And honest.
One can never be too honest when reporting the weather, right? Because let's face it, there's a high probability we may be wrong.
You just never really know what the weather is gonna do.

Posted by: zen99 | July 31, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Murre - want to let us where you were? :-)

Here in half mile from Dulles Airport, gusts of wind, heavy rain but not too bad. about half hour or 0.5 in in my estimation. Now all clear sun is out.

Posted by: LoudounGeek | July 31, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: meta2 | July 31, 2009 3:33 PM
===========

Whoa. That sounds spooky. Just like Hitchcock.

Posted by: zen99 | July 31, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The Hitchcock connection had crossed my mind as well.

Posted by: meta2 | July 31, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@LoudounGeek, I was near the Silver Spring-Takoma Park boundary. I did have some rain after I posted but it wasn't very much.

Posted by: Murre | July 31, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Yet another 'DC split' today...I really must stop reading these 'cry wolf' blogs, because I end up being so disappointed with the outcome!

Another really disappointing month for rainfall at National Airport. Let's hope August doesn't continue the trend.

Can anyone recommend something that cures anxiety about our lack of rain?!?

Posted by: TominMichiganPark | July 31, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse