Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 08/27/2009

Forecast: Warm/Dry Today; Cool/Wet Tomorrow

By Josh Larson

Danny's effect on weekend uncertain but likely small

* Where's Danny? Hurricane Tracking Center | Year of Science *
* New! Get CWG's Express Forecast by E-mail: Sign Me Up *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny & warm. 85-90. | Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Scattered storms. Upper 60s. | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy & cooler. Showers/storms abound. Upper 70s. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The weather over the coming five days may be a bit unsettled. Though we're warm and dry today (at least during the majority of the daylight hours), tomorrow will be much cooler with frequent showers and thunderstorms. A stalled out front keeps the threat of showers and storms around for much of the weekend while Tropical Storm Danny will probably stay far enough to the east to spare us from major impacts. But it still bears watching.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Thursday): We'll see mostly sunny skies for much of the day today, with a light northeasterly breeze of 5-10 mph at times. It will be another warm one, with many areas seeing temperatures in the upper 80s to near 90. By evening, clouds increase, and scattered showers and thunderstorms may develop (probably not until around 5 p.m. or later). Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: We'll see mostly cloudy skies tonight with scattered areas of showers and thunderstorms throughout the course of the evening and overnight period. Overnight lows will drop to the upper 60s in most spots. Confidence: Medium-High

Thundercast:
Probability: 30-40%
Coverage: Scattered

Keep reading to see what effects TS Danny may have on our weekend weather...

Tomorrow (Friday): In sharp contrast to Thursday's mostly sunny and warm conditions, an onshore flow (easterly winds near 10 mph) setting up on Friday will set the stage for mostly cloudy to overcast skies and much cooler afternoon highs in the upper 70s. Periods of showers, and perhaps a few thunderstorms, can be expected throughout the day. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Overcast skies with scattered showers, along with a few rumbles of thunder here and there, will make Friday night an ideal one to stay in and rent a movie. Temperatures will drop only modestly, down to the upper 60s. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Here's what we do know about Saturday: we'll have a strong tropical storm or perhaps weak hurricane Danny churning off the mid-Atlantic coast. What we don't know is how close this tropical cyclone will be to our region. If it stays further out to sea (80% chance), we're likely to have a partly cloudy day with scattered showers and thunderstorms due to the presence of a stalled out front. If Danny takes a more inland track (20% chance), we'll have overcast skies and the potential for heavy showers and gusty winds. High temperatures regardless should range from 75-80. Scattered showers may linger at night, with lows near 70. Confidence: Low

By Sunday Danny will probably be racing off to the north and east. However, a stalled front will still be in our vicinity, giving us the chance of showers and storms, particularly in the afternoon. Highs should be around 80. Confidence: Low-Medium

The outlook for Monday is for some morning clouds and showers possible, with drier conditions probably for the second half of the day. Highs again will be within a few degrees of 80, with overnight lows in the low to mid-60s. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Josh Larson  | August 27, 2009; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Quite Warm and Still Quiet
Next: Feeling the Power of Hurricane-Force Winds

Comments

Okay, so I have been waiting all summer for fall weather and it looks like Monday we may see some, right? Then please explain to me why I have to fly to Tampa on Monday morning, arriving home late Wednesday night?!?! Where is the justice?

Posted by: authorofpoetry | August 27, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on the weather for Rehoboth for Sunday and Monday? Thinking about a last minute trip.

Posted by: rockville4 | August 27, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@rockville4

Danny should be well north of our latitude by Sunday, and will probably have minimal impacts on the beaches anyways (other than to roughen surf). There will, however, be the chance (40% or so) of showers and storms due to a nearby front. Otherwise, should be partly sunny.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | August 27, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The weekend looks messy, but due more to an upper-air system moving in from the NW than to Danny. Danny should be north of us late Saturday.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | August 27, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

SwellInfo is calling for clean head high surf on Saturday. Surf was fun last weekend. Got some pics up at Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitcase/sets/72157622136053076

Posted by: wiredog | August 27, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Head high surf should keep everyone except for surfers on the beach. Do not go in the water please. Stupid and macho gets you killed unless you have experience and know how to deal with rip currents etc. Dive through a wave and before you know it you are you way to the Azores or Ireland.

6ft waves or even 4 to5 footers can put you in a wheelchair for live or six feet under.

Back a few years ago a dove through a wave and pop out and found myself 60 yards off the beach and going out fast. Swam parallel to the beach and got out f the rip and rode the waves back in. South Bethany Beach Patrol came up to as I lied there
on my back in water and asked Are you Okay? Little late guys huh! She wasnt that hot that you couldn't have at least called from shore when I was out there and asked if I needed help.

Beach patrols will be undermanned!

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | August 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company