The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 08/25/2009

Storm Sequence from Friday, August 21, 2009

By Kevin Ambrose

* Heat Building: Full Forecast | Hurricane Tracking Center *

604_web.jpg
A storm moves into Tysons Corner, Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:22 p.m.

I feel fortunate that I work in a 10th floor office building in Tysons Corner when it comes to viewing storms. Last Friday, I had a very good view of the line of storms that swept across the area from west to east.

Keep reading for a photo sequence of that line of storms, shot from my office window. Also included is the associated radar loop for that day.

WUNIDS_composite_archive.gif
The radar loop from Aug. 21, 2009.

566_web.jpg
Storm clouds move towards Tysons Corner at 1:37 p.m.

586_web.jpg
Another view of the approaching clouds at 1:42 p.m.

592_web.jpg
The storm begins to move into the area at 2:18 p.m.

604_web.jpg
The storm is almost overhead at 2:21 p.m.

618_web.jpg
Rain begins to fall at 2:22 p.m.

626_web.jpg
Heavy rain and wind at 2:23 p.m.

639_web.jpg
The storm moved quickly and is over at 2:32 p.m.

Later that evening, I drove to the Netherlands Carillon to photograph the storms over Washington. I captured a nice gust front moving overhead towards D.C. and a photo with lightning illuminating the clouds. Surprisingly, there was not much lightning with the storms during the early evening. As many of us remember, however, the real lightning show came later, about 4:30 a.m., but I'm not crazy enough to get up at that hour to photograph storms.

gustfront_web.jpg
A gust front with an approaching line of storms moves towards D.C. The fading light of sunset manages to keep the sky on the eastern horizon blue while the clouds overhead and to the west were very black.

stormphoto4_web.jpg
Lightning illuminates the clouds over Washington as the storm moves east of the city.

By Kevin Ambrose  | August 25, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Dry Today, But Heat & Humidity Building
Next: Hot, Humid, Hazy Williamsburg

Comments

Too bad you have to work in Tyson's Hellhole. I think "dystopian" is about right.

Posted by: Tess6 | August 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

As always, a great set of shots Kevin...especially the last one.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | August 25, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Kim, I appreciate the comment. Regarding the Tysons' comment, it's only the traffic in Tysons I hate.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | August 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I used to work on the top floor of a seven-story building in southern Illinois with a solid bank of windows on the north side. I can tell you that there's nothing that compares with watching a Tornado Alley thunderstorm come rolling in.

Posted by: kevinwparker | August 25, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice work as usual, Kevin.

That storm system produced some of the most fantastic clouds I've ever seen. I was out and about around 7:15 that evening and bemoaned that fact that I didn't have my camera with me. Amazing backlit clouds.

Posted by: dinermail | August 25, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful photos, Kevin! The clouds I saw around 7:00pm last Friday, in Fairfax, were dark and menacing. The shots you took at that time show much more majesty in the storm.

Posted by: --sg | August 25, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse