The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 09/ 1/2009

PM Update: September's Awesome Start

By Ian Livingston

Nice weather to continue through the week

* Obama Needs Climate Speech | Making Augusts Not Quite as Hot *
* New! Get CWG's Express Forecast by E-mail: Sign Me Up *

Following the coolest morning start in several months, today has proven to be pretty amazing on the whole as highs rise to the mid-and-upper 70s. Just a few fair-weather cumulus clouds have developed during the afternoon as a ridge of high pressure and a northeast flow keep us cool, mainly clear and largely humidity free. Awesome weather continues into evening, so get out and enjoy this first day of September.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Conditions should be pretty similar to last night, maybe a little cooler overall. Temperatures near 70 around sunset will drop to lows ranging from the upper 40s in the coolest locations to the upper 50s downtown.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Like tonight will be similar to last night, tomorrow will be similar to today. Partly to mostly sunny skies will help cool morning temperatures rise to highs in the upper 70s or near 80. Light northeast winds continue.

See Matt Rogers' full forecast through the beginning of next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Tropics: Hurricane Jimena remains a Category 4 storm as it treks ever closer to the Baja California coast. Landfall will occur tomorrow and though the storm will weaken a bit, it is expected to still be a major hurricane at landfall. In the Atlantic, Invest 94L continues to struggle but is better organized than yesterday and may become a tropical depression or storm shortly. Any strengthening in the short term should be slow given a somewhat unfavorable environment. Guidance continues to show this may be a threat to the U.S. early next week.

By Ian Livingston  | September 1, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Needs to Give a Climate Speech - ASAP
Next: UnitedCast: Refreshingly Cool, No Rain

Comments

I hate the cold!!

Posted by: bastings | September 1, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Erika is official as of 5p. No major strengthening forecast by NHC. Some early signs it pulls a recurve like we saw with Bill and Danny.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 1, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for my soccer game tonight to play in this gorgeous weather. Last weeks game was a sweatfest. I can't believe I'm bringing a long-sleeve undershirt for a game on Sept. 1st!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 1, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

@bastings, what are you whining about? Just wait three or four months when it can get as low as 15F around here.

Now for something to REALLY whine about...why is Metro CLOSING Crystal City & National Airport stations for track work on the BIG BIG Labor Day weekend??? I HAD my choice of TWO big events in the Crystal City area Saturday night...a swing dance at the Crystal City McGinty's and a football party for the Tennessee-Western Ky. game at the Crystal City Baileys' sports bar...guess I'll just stay home since some bonehead with Metro can't guarantee me the transportation options to Crystal City I deserve...sometimes I get to wondering who the heck does these "track-maintenance" scheduling gigs for Metro anyway!!! They have already been closing off this section of Blue/Yellow Line track on weeknights for a FULL MONTH anyway... What a shame, when the weather on Labor Day weekend figures to be so nice...

Posted by: Bombo47jea | September 1, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

One further note...Jimena has weakened to a Category Three...could be down to a Two when it makes landfall...

Posted by: Bombo47jea | September 1, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Bombo47Jea: This is super cold to me, I enjoy 90+*F weather the best. I live here, and winters are way too harsh.

Posted by: bastings | September 2, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse