The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 09/ 3/2009

Yet Another Sign TWC Has Jumped the Shark

By Dan Stillman

* Full Holiday Forecast | Beach Forecast | Outside Now? Weather Wall *
* Obama Should Give Climate Speech | Response to Rebuttal *

Weather Channel Launches New Site: TheWeatherChannelMusic.com ... song collections include "PM Edition Country Classics" and "PM Edition Evening Romance" (no joke).

By Dan Stillman  | September 3, 2009; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Humor, Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Value of a Weather Forecast
Next: PM Update: Near-Perfect Conditions Continue

Comments

Before you get too smarmy about this brand monetization deal, how about disclosing how many of the Gangstas have quit their day jobs from the sub-sweatshop salaries the WaPo provides in exchange for gving up brand ownership and creative control? (CapitalClimate did so from Internet revenue on Feb. 9, 1999, although obviously not from blogging.) When your Weather Gangsta Rap CD reaches number 1 in jazz compilations and number 60 in music overall at Amazon, please be sure to let us know.
In the interest of full disclosure, CapitalClimate has a microscopic stake in the new venture through ownership of stock in GE, parent of NBC Universal, which is a joint owner of The Weather Channel.

Posted by: CapitalClimate | September 3, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

nice. I can't remember the last time I actually watched the weather channel to get weather. Its always a weather story about hurricane chasers or people who sneeze when the barometric pressure drops or something. I only end up watching the weather loop adjunct channel they have.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | September 3, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Is this the background music? I have a friend who leaves The Weather Channel on as background noise, but I don't think she does it for the music.

Meanwhile, I've been looking for DVDs of the TWC series about trashing major cities with really, really bad weather (Dallas with a F5 tornado, Hong Kong with a typhoon, London with flooding). Granted, it helps to remember the name of the series, but last time that I remembered, I couldn't find it anywhere. If TWC wants to make some money, why don't they make more of their series available on DVD?

Posted by: magicdomino | September 3, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

HA! I LOVE it!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | September 3, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

========

"It Could Happen Tomorrow"

Posted by: kevinwparker | September 3, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sad. They sold the channel and now they're desperate to "evolve" when all they're good at and all people want them to do is present the weather with some insight.

Posted by: csh1 | September 3, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse