Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 10/13/2009

Forecast: Today Brings Best Weather of Week

By Matt Rogers

Cool and wet wreck late Wed. into weekend

* Encounter With Deer in D.C. | What Happened to the Hurricanes? *
* Outside Now? Temps, Clouds, Webcam & More: Weather Wall *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny. Comfortable breezes. 67-71. Tonight: Clear early, clouds late. 39-45. | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy. Very cool. 52-56. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The rest of this week does not look nice weather-wise, which means you must get out and enjoy today's dry ad mild conditions. By tomorrow, our local weather goes downhill very quickly as weather systems gang up on the D.C. area. Canadian high pressure to the north will push cool winds upon us, and a series of weather disturbances tracking from the south will push clouds and ultimately moisture into our area. It is an unfortunate situation that could penetrate deep into the weekend.

Today (Tuesday): We should see more sunshine than we saw on Columbus Day with only some scattered clouds at times. Highs should range from the upper 60s to low 70s. Winds should be coming from the northwest at 10-15 and could be a bit gusty at times. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Mostly clear skies this evening and for much of the overnight period may give way to a little cloud cover toward dawn. Temperatures will turn colder with lows in the upper 30s in the far-out suburbs to the middle 40s in town. Winds will shift and start arriving from the northeast. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): For right now, tomorrow does not look wet - just cloudy and cool. A brisk wind from the northeast or east will require some additional layering when venturing outside. Highs should only be in the low-to-mid 50s throughout the area. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Cloudy and cool weather will prevail, with a 40% chance of rain moving into the region. Look for lows in the mid-to-upper 40s with continued cool winds from the east and north. Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday should remain cool and cloudy with a 40% chance of rain at times. Brisk winds from the north and east will keep temperatures suppressed from the upper 40s to mid-50s around the area. Thursday night temperatures should back down into the mid-40s. Rain chances increase to 60%. Confidence: Low-Medium

Friday should be very cool and dreary right with rain likely (70% chance), while temperatures struggle again to crack the 50 degree-mark. Cool winds from the north and east will persist. That rain could be heavy at times and may continue into Friday night with even some gusty winds possible. Lows will be in the 40s. Confidence: Low

The weekend is not looking too nice at this early stage with more clouds and showers on Saturday and even a few lingering ones possible on Sunday as well. Highs should be in the 50s with lows in the 40s or maybe the upper 30s farther north and west away from the city. The best chance to see sunshine may come on Sunday afternoon, but that's iffy. Confidence: Low

A peek at early next week shows the opportunity for both drier and warmer weather along with more sunshine. Highs should work their way back to the 70s again to offer some grade A days. Confidence: Low

By Matt Rogers  | October 13, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An Encounter with Deer in Washington, D.C.
Next: October Offers Fall's Finest (Usually)

Comments

Ah jeez, nothing like footy in the cold.

Please realize that we internet soccer cranks will be looking for a 'USACast" for tomorrow night's soccer game at RFK.


Thanks for the knowledge.

Posted by: JkR- | October 13, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Looks as though the much-needed rain crowd once more is about to OVERDO things with this upcoming 4- to 5-day raw, wet and probably windy spell. It trashes the ENTIRE weekend and, at worst, high winds could take down all our leaves while they are still green. This is the WORST kind of weather possible for this time of year!!! Frankly I'd prefer sixties or seventies with occasional showers.

As of now, only one dance is affected, at Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights on Friday night, but Gottaswing has announced a FREE swing dance on the GMU campus Saturday evening. This nasty weather will impact that dance. It would be better if this crud didn't continue over the WHOLE WEEKEND.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | October 13, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Looking like a stretch of several days with temps nearly 20 degrees below normal.

Horrible, just horrible.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | October 13, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your link to Weather Bonk. I've noticed that it has lost all of its in-town reporting locations and now only has NWS and Weather Channel sites across the region. Any idea of why the cutback?

Posted by: lhaller | October 13, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

it is sleeting here in NW DC, near tenleytown.

Posted by: kneelconqueso | October 14, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company