Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 10/22/2009

Forecast: Warm & dry, then cooler with showers

By Josh Larson

Weekend to start off wet

* Current temps, clouds, & more: Weather Wall *
* For climate activists, '350' is a call to action | Earthquake weather *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny & warm. 74-79. | Tonight: Increasing clouds. 50-55. Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy. Afternoon showers. Mid-60s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

For another day, mild and mostly sunny weather spoils us before before clouds and the chance for showers mar conditions on Friday and Saturday. But this disruption to our pleasant weather should be short-lived, as weather on Sunday and Monday should feature plenty of sun and seasonable 60s.

Today (Thursday): Simply magnificent. We'll see another mostly sunny day with warm temperatures. Highs should reach the mid-to-upper 70s and this could be our last taste of the 70s for a while. Breezes will be from the southwest at 5-10 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear skies during the evening will give way to increasing clouds overnight, with temperatures eventually dropping to the low-to-mid 50s in most spots. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend into early next week...

Tomorrow (Friday): Though we're likely to see some sun during the first part of the day Friday, an approaching cold front means that clouds will increase as the day wears on, and showers (60% chance) are possible by mid-afternoon. Mostly because of the clouds, though, it won't be as warm as today, with highs only reaching the mid-60s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Expect cloudy skies and occasional showers Friday night with overnight lows close to 60 in most spots. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

I'm sorry to say that the forecast for Saturday includes a plethora of clouds and a 70% chance for showers. It probably won't rain all day, but significant dry stretches and sunshine don't seem promising. Highs should reach the upper 60s with a light southeast breeze. Showers could (30% chance) linger into the overnight hours, with modestly cooler overnight lows in the upper 40s to low 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunshine should return in full on Sunday, albeit with more fall-like temperatures. I'm thinking low-to-mid 60s for highs with chilly overnight readings ranging from about 40-45. Confidence: Medium-High

The outlook for Monday is for a blend of clouds and sun (likely more of the latter as the day wears on) with highs in the low-to-mid 60s. Showers are possible during the late afternoon or evening hours, with overnight lows near 50. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Josh Larson  | October 22, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Warm today, warmer tomorrow
Next: CWG's annual photo contest

Comments

Saturday sounds like a tough call. You guys are saying showers, while Veronica Johnson of NBC4 showed a graphic yesterday afternoon of "heavy rain."


Posted by: jaybird926 | October 22, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering what the weather factors were that contributed to the quality of our Fall foliage? What should we expect this year? My drive in to work today was beautiful! The trees that are turning seemed very vibrant. Or was that just the view through my rose colored glasses? :)I apologize in advance if this has already been covered!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | October 22, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2

Here's a recent article on the science behind fall colors. A couple other articles of interest here and here. We'll probably do a fall foliage update here on CWG soon.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | October 22, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks! Very interesting reading!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | October 22, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Cloudiness, mostly altocumulus/cirrocumulus/cirrus seems to be holding our temperatures down. It's 66 now & will never get to 75 as advertised. Could be bad news as it's supposed to cool down tomorrow.

Rain field over Midwest is fixing to pass N and W of us as usual. We might only get a few heavy showers with the frontal passage, most likely tomorrow night or Saturday.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | October 22, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

As long as those showers cause Sat. am soccer games to be cancelled I am cool with it. Speaking of cool, how about those cloud formations today? Looked like a patchwork quilt at times.

Posted by: mchristinaw | October 22, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Why do meteorologists - especially TV mets - always say "hours," as in "the evening hours" and "the overnight hours"? Even Josh uses this convention:

"Showers could (30% chance) linger into the overnight hours, with modestly cooler overnight lows in the upper 40s to low 50s."

It strikes me as very redundant, almost like the TV nets who insist on reading the current temperatures in Bowie, Landover, College Park, Gaithersburg, Vienna, McLean, etc etc etc, when they're all no more than 5 deg. off from each other.

Why not just say "overnight" and "early morning" and "afternoon." We know they all have "hours" in them.

Posted by: ennepe68 | October 22, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company