The new Washington

Forecast: Wonderful Weather for the Work Week

By Jason Samenow

Shower chance Tues & Fri nights; weekend uncertain

* Outside Now? Temps, Clouds Webcam & More: Weather Wall *
* Reasons to Love Fall | Later: Climate 'Hockey Stick' Controversy *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Loads of sunshine. 72-75. | Tonight: Clear and cool. 41-50. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. 73-77. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

For fans of fall, it's stretches like these that make the season special. The next two days will be just like the last two with sunny 70s. Assuming we can get a front out of here early in the day, Wednesday will follow suit, even if a bit breezy. It cools down a little to end the work week, but I imagine few will complain as the sun keeps shining. The jury is out whether complaints will be voiced about the weekend...

Today (Monday): Look up, and you'll see mostly blue today. After a cool start (light jacket advised), temperatures head back up to into the low-to-mid 70s. We'll have less wind than yesterday, with a breeze from the west at 5-10 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: If you're keeping your windows open tonight, throw an extra blanket on. It will be chilly. Under clear skies, low will be range from 40-45 in the cooler suburbs to around 50 downtown. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the work week

20091003_4491.jpg
Some early fall foliage in Georgetown yesterday. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston

Tomorrow (Tuesday): What more is there to say? Tomorrow, it's still sunny and it's still in the low-mid 70s. Winds will remain light, out of the south around 5-10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Clouds will gradually increase as a cold front moves into the area. After midnight, there's a 20-30% chance of showers. With the blanketing effect of the clouds, lows won't be as cool -- getting down to 55-60. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

20091003_4460.jpg
A fair weather cumulus cloud amidst the blue skies yesterday in Georgetown. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Wednesday may start off cloudy and a shower is possible before the front clears the region in the morning. But it may be a day a lot like this past Saturday, when the front pushes through dry with emerging sunshine and a steady breeze. Highs should be in the mid-70s. Clear and cool Wednesday night, with lows 42-50 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

Beautiful fall weather re-establishes itself Thursday and Friday. Both days will have partly to mostly sunny skies, with highs near 70. Overnight lows will range from the low 40s in the cooler suburbs to the upper 40s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

The next cold front arrives Friday night, when a chance of showers returns with temperatures in the 50s. On Saturday, the front may stall out close enough to keep clouds and showers in the forecast, or it may push far enough south for the sun to re-emerge. Highs will probably be in the 60s to the low 70s, depending on the amount of sun. Confidence: Low-Medium

On Sunday, we'll keep the chance of rain in the forecast, with the front still possibly in our vicinity, and the possibility of low pressure forming along it. Highs should be in the 60s. Confidence: Low

By Jason Samenow  | October 5, 2009; 8:55 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: All the Sun You Can Handle
Next: Another Slapshot in Climate 'Hockey Stick' Faceoff

Comments

FANTASTIC sailing yesterday! There's nothing like October wind.

Off to Oklahoma City today, for the whole week. Please save those Nice Days for me, and get rid of those rain chances for next weekend: I'll be home in time for the US Sailboat show in Annapolis over the holiday.

Posted by: --sg | October 5, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Great weather. Thanks.

I've had some terrible allergies for the past 2-3 weeks. My nostrils are clogged at night and I wake up with a sore throat since I'm breathing almost exclusively through my mouth. And, we're not having those days where cars are covered in pollen.

I looked at pollen.com and they say we are at low to medium with the primary culprits being ragweed, chenopods, sagebrush and sage in our area. I am loathe to take any over the counter meds for this, but i did break down and had a benadryl 2 nights ago. Anybody out there suffering like me?

Posted by: jojo2008 | October 5, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

JoJO - I have a 20-month old son who is constantly rubbing his left eye. It is bloodshot and seems to really bother him. We don't suspect it is pinkeye but we are pretty certain it is an allergy. I never really attributed serious allergies to the fall season but I guess I was wrong.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | October 5, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey - what is the chatter about a "snow" event on the model runs (Euro) next week. Kim Martucci of WUSA has been blogging about it this morning and I am shocked nobody here has mentioned it.

Also - the winter forecast from Accuweather came out today. Cold and snowy here per Henry "Big Daddy" M!

RAINMAN GREG - back after a long summer hibernation.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | October 5, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@stinkerflat1

The models (including the GFS shown by Martucci) were horrible last year in the 6-10 day range simulating coastal storms, and snow here is extremely rare in October (don't have the stats here, but don't think it's ever snowed in the first half of the month, a maybe just a few times in the second half, with little accumulation). Flakes well north and west of here in elevated areas is a little more common, so those would be the favored areas if anything developed -- which is highly questionable.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | October 5, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I am having a great lunch in this amazing weather, fantastic fall air. Anyone else able to get out and enjoy? Have the tourists flocked for one last post-season resurgence on The Mall? report the latest!! :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | October 5, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Camden,

We were hanging out Sunday in the Penn Quarter and there were a lot of tour buses fairly full cruising down E Street.

DC is a hot destination, the weather is great, seems there is more tourists than usual for October, but that's just a guess. I can say we have had more visitors this year, by far.

Posted by: jaybird926 | October 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Jojo: I made a small contribution to allergy sufferers by uprooting some ragweed last Friday.

Rainman Greg: I haven't given up on my prediction for October snow.

Posted by: spgass1 | October 5, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

JoJo, I tend to have allergy issues in the spring and fall with three possible culprits (1) ragweed, etc. (2) mold and (3) fall blooming elms. As for (3), the indigenous "September elm" does not grow east of the Tennessee Valley, but the imported Chinese elm also blooms in the fall. There are a lot of Chinese elms in my neighborhood. Many native elms have been killed by the Dutch elm disease and other pathogens.

Mold is likely the main culprit except for those sensitive to ragweed.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | October 5, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks spgass and bombo.

I guess I'm allergic to ragweed. Wouldn't mold show up in pollen.com? Or are we talking mold that's in moist basements and such?

Posted by: jojo2008 | October 5, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse