The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 10/30/2009

Going over Great Falls in a kayak

By Kevin Ambrose

* A mild Halloween. Showers? Full Forecast | CWG's photo contest *

great_falls_kayak_title_web_std.jpg
A man goes over Great Falls in a kayak. This is one of five photos in a sequence.

Last Saturday, I went to Great Falls to photograph the fall foliage in a setting of clouds and rain. See my post Autumn Rain at Great Falls. As I arrived, I noticed a guy in a kayak above one of the larger waterfalls, getting ready to take the plunge. I quickly unpacked my camera and photographed the sequence as he took his kayak over the waterfall. I later asked a Great Falls park ranger about kayaking Great Falls and he said the only rules are where you must enter and exit the river. He said it's a fairly common occurrence.

Keep reading to see the entire photo sequence...

great_falls_kayak0_std.jpg
Checking out the falls.

great_falls_kayak1_std.jpg
Making the decision to take a plunge.

great_falls_kayak2_web_std.jpg
I don't kayak waterfalls, but if I did, this is how I would want to look going down the falls.

great_falls_kayak3_std.jpg
Hitting the bottom of the falls.

great_falls_kayak4_std.jpg
Exiting the waterfall, a successful plunge.

By Kevin Ambrose  | October 30, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Grey skies & a few Halloween showers
Next: PM Update: Cloudy and cool. Halloween showers?

Comments

Great photos! What an adrenaline rush...

Posted by: wrytous | October 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

courtesy of the "much needed rain crowd", lets see that guy do that without rain

Posted by: asimo | October 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Very cool series of photos. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: McLeanVA | October 30, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Please note that kayaking Great Falls is for expert kayakers. The Falls are Class V+ and even very experienced kayakers have died attempting the falls.

Posted by: jay4811 | November 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse