The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 8:45 AM ET, 11/13/2009

Forecast: Occasional showers & wind linger

By Camden Walker

Battering of the beaches continues; weekend sun?

* NWS watches, warnings, advisories | Photo contest (deadline: today) *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | Traffic *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Raw with occasional showers, windy. Near 50. | Tonight: Chance of showers. Upper 40s. | Tomorrow: 30-40% chance of a.m. light rain/drizzle. Upper 50s to low 60s. | Sunday: Becoming partly to mostly sunny. Mid-60s to near 70. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

I'm sorry to report: Today will bring more cloudy skies, wind, and some rain -- though less than the last two days. Meanwhile, coastal flood warnings remain in effect all along the mid-Atlantic coast, where rain and wind gusts to near and over 50 mph batter the beaches for yet another day. Relief comes for everyone during the day Saturday as the storm finally drifts away, and taking the rain and wind with it. By Sunday?.. sun!

Radar: Latest regional radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Friday): Our dreary weather continues with overcast skies, occasional showers, and winds from the north/northeast gusting to near 30 mph. For the third day in a row, temperatures don't do much of anything, remaining near 50. Another 0.25" or so of rain is possible through the course of the day -- but it will be less persistent and widespread than yesterday. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Showers may continue into the evening (50% chance), but eventually may fizzle into a drizzle overnight or toward morning. Lows in the upper 40s as winds diminish to 10 to 15 mph. Confidence: Medium

When. Will. This. End?! Keep reading for our next chance of sunshine...

Tomorrow (Saturday): Still overcast in the morning with a 30-40% chance of light rain or drizzle. Finally, skies may begin to brighten a bit in the afternoon, Maybe even a late-day peek of sun, but no guarantee (one can hope!). Upper 50s to low 60s for highs should feel decent, especially with breezes decreasing to around 10 mph or less. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Mostly cloudy but no rain gear needed for your evening out. Low temperatures will dip into the upper 40s. With light winds and a lot of moisture still around, areas of fog may develop overnight. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday: Some areas of fog or low clouds may linger into the morning. But eventually, skies turn partly to mostly sunny and highs reach the mid-60s to near 70. Plan to get out and enjoy. Sun yourself! Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Parlty to mostly clear Sunday night with lows in the low 50s downtown, mid-to-upper 40s in the suburbs. Confidence: Medium-High

Partly to mostly sunny Monday & Tuesday with highs in the low-to-mid 60s Monday and upper 50s to low 60s Tuesday. Confidence: Medium

By Camden Walker  | November 13, 2009; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Our raw and rainy story goes on
Next: Powerful Nor'easter pastes SE Va. & local beaches

Comments

Those echoes aren't particularly impressive right now. Streets in DC (downtown) are totally dry. That 70 degree Sunday is so close I can taste it...

Posted by: DullesARC | November 13, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

It was partly sunny this morning, I think today will be mostly cloudy with a slight chance

Posted by: BritBobinHerndon | November 13, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Not a good surf day in OC:

Posted by: wiredog | November 13, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

It could be worse, right? yes, 70 on Sunday is a nice thing to look forward to! :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | November 13, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Typical weather patterns for this area, just like the past 9 months. My records show an average of 4.5 days a week of rain or heavy clouds since March 1st. I'm moving to Seattle for some decent weather at this point...

Posted by: j0nx | November 13, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Occasional showers? It's raining cats and dogs out here. I thought this weather was moving out of the area? It looks to me like its doubling back over the area and stalling out. There should be consequences for incorrect weather reports...

Posted by: j0nx | November 13, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Only in weather reporting can everyone do such a terrible job and not get fired for it. I've never understood that.

Posted by: j0nx | November 13, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@j0nx

Who said anything about the weather "moving out of the area" -- our forecast clearly indicates showers through tonight.

And what we're getting is occasional showers. We had several hours of no rain, now it's raining, and it probably won't rain continuously all afternoon.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Here I am, hoping to have gone out for lunch, stuck with my frozen meal, because I wishcasted, went along with "occasional showers" and didn't bring an umbrella. Oh well.

Unlike j0nx, I'll recognize that forecasting has a certain inherent failure rate and refrain from calling for heads on pikes. It's a lot harder than, say, getting "its" and "it's" correct, and some people still screw that up.

Posted by: stevis23 | November 13, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

These aren't showers. This is torrential rain. It's been raining worse here than it has during any point in this storm. It's obvious to me that the storm has doubled back and stalled and that you guys got it wrong AGAIN. I don't even know why I bother reading a forecast anymore as I am better at it based on the barometer of my watch and my own intuition. I am not singling out you in particular, just all weather people in general who constantly forecast incorrectly and still get to keep their jobs.

Posted by: j0nx | November 13, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what weather maps you are looking at but this storm has not stalled. If you look at a regional radar, it has started to move off the coast.

I don't think you really have a leg to stand on here claiming that the forecast was wrong. They called for showers and showers we got. It is possible to get torrential rain during a shower. This is not a huge swatch of rain that is staying put all day.

Why don't you lighten up a bit?

Posted by: ana_b | November 13, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

It was quite dry earlier this morning around Baileys Crossroads.

For the past two hours or so an area of rain, light to moderate, has been moving from ENE to WSW across the area. Precipitation has now slackened and we may be quite dry the rest of the day.

Had the temperature been favorable, this would have amounted to about three to six inches of SNOW on top of at least a fifteen-inch base! It's just too bad we can't seem to get a storm like this when conditions are favorable for snow formation. Looks as though we're in for yet another raw, windy & wet El Nino winter, just like 1997/98.

Fortunately no dances have been impacted though a couple of other evening commitments were. The biggest impact on me has involved my routine daily errands, including a trip to the library yesterday. I have a dance tonight but it could be overrun by young college-age dancers...not so great for a sixties-something guy like me.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | November 13, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Always fun to hear about the NoVa dance scene, El Bombo :) Adds to the personality of the site.

Got caught in a strong shower at lunch near Dupont Circle -- despite that, I don't think it was more than .25 inch. I agree with Jason -- don't see anything clearly wrong with today's forecast. Now if more rain ruins my commute home tonight, well then . . .

Jamie Y (aka the Weather Checker)

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | November 13, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey j0nx -- no one is forcing you to visit this site for your weather forecast. I guarantee you there are many more for your location. Further, last I checked you did not pay a dime for the CWG forecast. If you want a perfect forecast for your specific location, pony up the cash and I'm sure they will be happy to oblige.

Regards,
K

Posted by: Registration1982 | November 13, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Well then I must have been the only one that got over 2 hours worth of pretty heavy rain from 10:30 to 1:00 or so. I was watching the radar and it was clear that the storm was looping back around to the DC area during that time period and it now appears to be resuming its original track away. Other than the fact that the heaviest rain of the storm occurred during the time when the forecast said we were supposed to only receive showers here and there then yeah the forecast was correct... Lighten up? What are you talking about anyway? They got the forecast wrong in a world where failure is rewarded. I have every right in the world to be annoyed that weather forecasters have the only profession in the world where it's OK to be wrong 90% of the time and still receive a paycheck. Pardon me.

Posted by: j0nx | November 13, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I could be wrong, but I don't think the CapWx guys are doing this as a full time job, and in fact, might possibly do this as volunteers.

Either way, you might want to lighten up because a) it's weather, by it's nature it's going to be changeable, b) as pointed out earlier, you didn't pay for this and c) it's Friday!

Posted by: ana_b | November 13, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Dry cleaners also make mistakes and never admit it either...

Posted by: steske | November 13, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Some bizarre comments on the blog here lately. Don't get me wrong, weather forecasts are often incorrect, including some here at CWG. Today's was not one of them. The forecast was for occasional showers. There were a few showers around in the morning. Then a nice dose of steady rain for a couple hours midday. And now some showers still lingering to the north and west. Maybe we'll get a few more showers or some drizzle through evening and tonight and into tomorrow. Occasional showers was the forecast, and occasional showers is what we got. Some of those showers happened to be heavy. That's the way weather works sometimes.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | November 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse