Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 11/ 9/2009

Forecast: Still spectacular with sunny 70s

By Jason Samenow

Ida's remnants pose midweek rain risk

* Enter our photo contest | Our winter outlook *
* Clouds, webcam & more: Weather Wall | Join us on Facebook*
* Follow Ida: Hurricane Tracking Center *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny. 71-75. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 44-49. | Tomorrow: Increasing clouds, chance of rain late. 64-68. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Last week this time, we were pleading for some sunshine and I'd say we were heard. We'll have one more day of glorious warm sunshine before the clouds begin to increase and cooler temperatures trickle in. The toughest part of this week's forecast is the Tuesday night and Wednesday period when what's left of Ida may team up with a weak front to give us some appreciable rain. On the other hand, a lot of the rain may stay south, resulting in a cooler but dry midweek period followed by a possible warming trend for the weekend.

Today (Monday): If you have a flexible work schedule and can take a day off today, go for it. Just like yesterday, we'll have beautiful sunshine, with temperatures climbing into the low-to-mid 70s. Winds will be a non-factor, out of the south around 5 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: Light flow from the south and some cloud cover will make for a mild night. Lows will range from the mid-to-upper 40s in the cooler suburbs to the low 50s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the work week...

Tomorrow (Tuesday): The day will start off quite nicely, with mild temperatures and partial sunshine. But during the afternoon, clouds increase with a 20% chance of showers by evening. Afternoon highs will be well above average, reaching the mid-to-upper 60s. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Here's when the forecast gets tricky. Depending on the track of Ida's remnants, we may experience periods of heavy rain if the track is far enough north or just partly cloudy skies if the track is well south. So I'll call for 30% chance of steady/heavy rain, a 30% chance of showers (with the heaviest action to the south), and a 40% chance of mainly dry conditions. Lows will likely be 45-50 irrespective of the rain scenario. Confidence: Low-Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Rain may linger Veterans Day (Wednesday) as Ida's remnants gradually pull off to the east. Or gradual clearing may occur in the morning, with some sunshine emerging. I'm leaning towards a more pessimistic, wet scenario but stay tuned. Highs should be in the 50s with a gusty wind from the north. Any lingering rain should end Wednesday night, with lows 38-44 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Low

Sunshine will likely return in full force Thursday and Friday with moderating temperatures. Seasonable highs of 55-60 on Thursday will probably warm to 60-65 Friday. Overnights lows should be in the mid-30s (suburbs) to low 40s (downtown). Confidence: Medium-High

Prospects for the weekend look great, with partly to mostly sunny skies both days and highs generally in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | November 9, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Beautiful, bright days ahead...
Next: Weakening Ida closes in on Gulf Coast

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company