The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 PM ET, 12/16/2009

Alert: Weekend snow threat growing

By Jason Samenow

The latest model runs are converging on a snowy scenario for the weekend. A revised Snow Lover's Crystal Ball, with updated accumulation possibilities, along with our latest full forecast into next week will be posted early in the morning, Significant accumulations are a possibility...but this is not a done deal. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, the forecast for the remainder of the work week remains, in a word, cold.

By Jason Samenow  | December 16, 2009; 11:00 PM ET
Categories:  Alerts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Bundle-up weather is back
Next: Forecast: Cold is here, weekend snow threatens

Comments

Well, I don't ever remember being first to comment on something here, but -- I'm becoming cautiously optimistic about SOME snow around here between Friday and Sunday. I'm not fussy, I'll settle for an inch or two and some cold weather to hang through Christmas to keep it white...

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | December 16, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I plan to check out some model runs and the weather board before turning in for the night. TV mets are still hedging their bets.

To last until Christmas we need about 4-8 inches. One inch will melt away after a day or two on sunny slopes.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | December 16, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I want it to snow, I'll do whatever it takes to make the snow gods happy with me.

Of course, Murphy loves to follow me around, so it'll snow the day after I leave to go back to Alabama. =/

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | December 17, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

See, if AccuWeather hypes enough snow events, they're bound to get 1 or 2 right!

Posted by: JTF- | December 17, 2009 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow! The NWS has definitely jumped onto the snow train. Here's their weekend forecast for DC:

"Friday Night: Snow likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Northeast wind between 3 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday: Snow. High near 32. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Saturday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%."

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 17, 2009 3:48 AM | Report abuse

While the 0z gfs and nam look great giving us 12+", the 06z nam seems to only show 3-6" of snow. There's less data that goes into the 06z run, so let's hope it trends back to the NW in later runs!

Posted by: snowlover | December 17, 2009 4:00 AM | Report abuse

I am pleased - would not be at all shocked if this blows up into a 10-15 inch storm for some in the area. Gear up for a storm to remember!!!!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 17, 2009 4:13 AM | Report abuse

@snowlover i can't believe i'm actually saying this. I love snow more than most, but... I prefer the 06z solution for less snow this weekend. Why? It holds out promise of snow for NEXT weekend (Christmas). Personally, I would much rather have LESS snow this weekend as the storm pushes east and SNOW (vs. rain) next weekend for Christmas Eve/Day & Boxing Day.

Regards,