The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:15 AM ET, 12/26/2009

Forecast: Drying out, relatively mild

By Jason Samenow

Turning colder Sunday night and next week

* Flood Warnings and Coastal Flood Advisory (map) *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

5Bad: the morning rain. Good: drying out in the p.m. and mild.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: A.M rain, then gradual clearing, mild. 47-53. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 31-36. | Tomorrow: Partly to mostly sunny. 45-49. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Once we get rid of the rain this morning, the weekend will shape up pretty nicely. We're looking at warmer temperatures than we've seen in 10 days or so, with decreasing cloud cover. However, colder air will spill into the region late Sunday accompanied by a chance of snow showers. This cold air will stick around early next week and probably beyond.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): Some rain is likely (60% chance) during the early and middle morning hours. By late morning, we should start drying out. Nonetheless, it will remain mostly cloudy in the afternoon, with areas of fog slow to burn off. High temperatures will hold steady in the upper 40s and low 50s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Partly cloudy skies overnight with lows ranging from near 30 in the cooler suburbs (watch out for refreezing) to the mid-30s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): We'll have another pretty mild day before cold air re-asserts itself. Under partly to mostly sunny skies, highs will climb into the mid-to-upper 40s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: A cold front will swing through the region, bringing a chance of snow showers and flurries late at night. Little or no accumulation is expected, with low temps in the upper 20s and low 30s. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

After the chance of some lingering snow flurries Monday morning, expect partly sunny and colder conditions Monday and Tuesday. Highs both days will be in the upper 30s to around 40 and overnight lows in the 20s. Confidence: Medium-High

We'll have to keep an eye out for the possibility of a coastal storm that could bring a chance of snow or rain around New Years.

By Jason Samenow  | December 26, 2009; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Soggy through Christmas night
Next: SkinsCast: Dry and on the chilly side

Comments

I have refrained from worrying aloud here about my boat. All through Snowpocalypse, all though this deluge, all through the cold, I have trusted that my little boat is bobbing along just fine in her slip at the dock. I haven't been able to go see her; my apartment complex did not plow much, so today is the first day I got my car out. I will go see her tomorrow since I'd rather not work on her in the rain. But now that it's so close, I'm becoming more and more worried - especially with a north wind kicking up to blow her against the side of the dock.

Posted by: --sg | December 26, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The Backyard Snow Flood of 2009:

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

2.0 inches of rain in my S. arlington home. And, it's still raining. This is on top of the unmelted snow that was out there.

Posted by: jojo2008 | December 26, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Looks like another storm looming for New Years Eve into 2010! Fairly significant combination of frigid temps and moisture for another doozy..keep your fingers crossed snowlovers!

Posted by: GMorg11 | December 26, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention ....click the ANIMATE box on the PSU site linked above to watch the loop for the upcoming week.

Posted by: GMorg11 | December 26, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Models have again been remarkably consistent on the pattern idea around New Years. It's looking more likely there will be another significant east coast low somewhere around there. Details still need to be worked out, but there is a lot of potential.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

This has already been the snowiest (24.2")and wettest (6.6")December since I started records in 1979.

Posted by: DOG3521 | December 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes.....I can hear it now: New Years "El Bombo" Blast 2010!!!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 26, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ian-CapitalWeatherGang,

While there are some similarities between last weeks storm and the storm projected by the models for some time late next week, aren't there some significant differences also? To my untrained eye there are two major differences that stand out. 1- The projected low off the east coast is not going to be near as strong as the low that bombed off the coast last week and 2- the supply of cold air is not going to be as significant as last week. Is it true that the ultimate path this next storm is going to take is even more crucial for a snow or snow/mix/rain event than the last one? Last week the storm path could have wobbled east or west a little more and we still would have gotten a pretty good snow storm where as this next one could move just a little east and we could be dealing with a messy mixture or a little west and we could be looking at light snow accumulations (or none).

Oh, for the record. I hope my observations are completely wrong and we get a ton of snow!
Thanks

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 26, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

That should have read " could move just a little WEST and we could be dealing with a messy mixture or a little EAST and we could be looking at light snow accumulations (or none).

Sorry

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

On the New Years storm:

At this point, the cold air that was there for Snowpocalypse doesn't appear to be there for this one.
What does everyone else think?

Posted by: bodyiq | December 26, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@pjdunn1

At this very early stage, it does appear that an all-snow scenario may not be as sure of a bet as we had with the last storm. But usually in late December/early January, the right track will have no problem giving you all snow. The early returns are quite consistent for a snowy track. And some of the large-scale teleconnection patterns looks favorable for a wintry event as well. Still some time to watch things before getting too excited.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm leaving Thurs. for Tech-UT bowl game in Atlanta & returning Sat. Would prefer 4 any snow 2 hold off until next Sun., always bites 2 b out of town when it snows. Seems like everytime I go out of area in winter it snows here. Go Hokies & Steelers.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 26, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Go Vols!!! UT is my grad school. My bachelor's degree is from UW-Eau Claire.

The next storm is forecast to be considerably WEAKER than that of Dec. 19, but will be on or close to the "Knickerbocker" track. The amount and strength of cold air in place will be another question. There are lots of dances and parties New Years Eve.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | December 26, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What's the potential with the new years storm; 3"-6"?

Posted by: snowlover | December 26, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

^^^ it maybe more than that but first u have to figure out the track

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 26, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

The lead on the front page should say "warmer, drier" NOT "warmer, dryer"

Although that reminds me, I have laundry to do.

Posted by: chunche | December 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 26, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I think there is theoretically enough cold air around for snow, but track will be crucial as usual. RIGHT NOW it may not look quite as favorable, partly because we seem to be missing a high pressure in the optimal spot to keep feeding in the cold air. But as Dan alluded to, this time of year you don't necessarily need it, but I'd rather see it. Last week's storm was not a sure thing at this range either and many of the models waffled around before locking in toward the end. I did mention significant east coast storm without getting into precip type because it is a little uncertain whether we see snow or rain or both. There are sort of two camps right now... one with perhaps two smaller lows and another with a larger more powerful system. I do think it is likely there will be a storm of some sort though.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 26, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for the snow while I watch the former Peach Bowl.

VaTechBob & Bombo47jea, I can't lose. I went to Tech undergrad and UTK for grad school! That said, gotta pull for my Hokies and a snowstorm.

Posted by: kygurl94 | December 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Same boat here...this snow love is hoping for another blast (snowboard is callin), but flying out of DCA to the Chicken Bowl on NYEve. Go Hokies!

Posted by: vaguypost | December 26, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

We just got rid of this last snow today. It's finally safe to get back on the roads again. No more, I say. And I'll be doing an anti-snow dance for the whole week.

Enough is enough already.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 26, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring, I am with you! Unfortunately, winter is just beginning, so we have at least two months before things begin to improve.

I will be happy if we can dry out a bit. The ground is so saturated that we could stand to be without any precip for several weeks. However, the pattern is not looking that way.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | December 26, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Back in DC, the walkways are clear. Huzzah! ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 27, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I'll say it again:

Warmer, drier weekend, not "dryer"!

Good grief