The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:30 PM ET, 12/18/2009

Major to historic snowstorm starts this evening

By Ian Livingston

Accumulations of 12-18" and higher possible

* Winter Storm Warning tonight to 6 a.m. Sun. | Live chat transcript *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail forecast to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Tips for traveling in the snow | Snowy Saturday happy hour *
* During storm: Submit photos | Tweet reports to #eastcoaststorm *

Jump to: Accumulation Map & Timeline | Impact Forecasts | Storm FAQ

Our next update will be at 10:45 or 11 p.m. Significant adjustments to accumulation forecast may be coming.

6:15 p.m. update: The snow is making steady progress northward. At 6 p.m., Charlottesville, Va. reported moderate snow and 28 degrees. Also, we bumped up totals slightly in the accumulation map below. That will be our final pre-storm adjustment. Readers to the south, comment below when you start seeing your first flakes...

As snow makes its approach from the south, confidence is growing that this powerful storm will eventually find itself ranked among the greats. In fact, December (and perhaps other) snowstorm records, may be about to fall throughout the area. Louis Uccellini, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Centers for Environmental Prediction and a 'godfather' of snowstorm analysis, spoke to CWG this morning and said, "chances are steadily increasing for this to be a historic snowstorm."

In Virginia, which could see some of the highest totals, a state of emergency has been declared, with the governor's office urging people to "prepare to be on their own for up to 72 hours." The window is quickly closing before snow arrives. The District also issued a snow emergency that begins at 7 a.m. Saturday. All vehicles must be removed from the city's snow routes or they will be ticketed and towed.

ACCUMULATION MAP AND TIMELINE

6 PM FRI to 12 AM SAT
Snow develops from south to north. Upper 20s to low 30s.
12 AM to 7 AM SAT
Accumulating snow with increasing winds. Mid-20s to near 30.
7 AM to 7 PM SAT
Snow continues, moderate to heavy at times. Windy. Mid-20s to near 30.
7 PM SAT to 7 AM SUN
Snow tapers from southwest to northeast. 20s.

IMPACT FORECASTS

SchoolCast (Mon.)

STORM FAQ

How confident are you in your forecast?There's every indication that very significant accumulation is in the cards for the entire metro area. In fact, it now seems more likely that totals toward the higher end of those predicted are a real possibility. Confidence is thus quite high for a storm of this magnitude. Questions remain as to exactly where the heaviest snow bands will set up, whether this storm will reach historic proportions, and just how long it will take to dig out!

Have more questions? Check out more storm FAQs. Just found us? We're here 24/7/365 -- rain, snow or shine. Visit us at washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang.

By Ian Livingston  | December 18, 2009; 6:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Storm may be historic, record-breaking
Next: The snow is here: Some could see two feet of it!

Comments

Yikes!

Posted by: mcaicedo | December 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

So does this look to head out to sea, or continue up past NYC?

Posted by: smperk | December 18, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Oy yoy yoy!!!

Posted by: Akabang | December 18, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

what are the odds that there will be no school at all this week (we get thurs and fri off anyways)?

Posted by: samdman95 | December 18, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is.....

FINALLY!

Posted by: wecndo | December 18, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I bid welcome to the Great Snowstorm of 2009.

Posted by: JTF- | December 18, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So, when I wake up tomorrow morning inside the Beltway in NoVa, I should expect to see how much on the snow already?

The snowpocalypse is upon us.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 18, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The GFS now has us at 15-20+ inches of snow as well! This is going to be awesome

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blasmaic | December 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blasmaic | December 18, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm getting excited.

My favorite DC storm was February '79. I awoke and felt the eerie hush. It was very cold and immense drifts closed us in. The streets belonged to the people for a while. What fun.

Posted by: jkegg | December 18, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Are cities like Crofton, Bowie, Odenton inside or just outside your projected heavies band of 14-22 inches? Thanks!

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm getting worried that the storm is being oversold. Will fortune favor us nonetheless?

Posted by: ah___ | December 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

god help us all

Posted by: Axel2 | December 18, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope everyone has made alternate arrangements for their weekends. play it safe!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for these updates today, gang. You made a new fan today. I live across the street from a Giant and it's been manic all day. I tend to shop daily so the only change I made was to do 3 days worth of shopping. And I really DID need TP so stop looking at me that way.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | December 18, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@smperk

The storm should continue from NYC into southern New England, but it will not impact those areas as much.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

What chance that the higher totals will creep west? hoping for more in leesburg!

Posted by: mandarb77 | December 18, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

WOW ive been watching for this potential development for 2 weeks now and to see it unfold and finally really come to life is crazy.Im sooo glad i got to be home for this. Winter and these storms have really drove me into this field of study. AND JTF i bid to not only this Historic storm that is nearly at our footsteps but to possibly the greatest winter for this area in a long time. BRACE YOURSELF EVERYONE HERE IT COMES ..

Posted by: jmc732msstate | December 18, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I went by our Giant in Germantown, every single parking space was full at 5:00 PM today. The panic has started already! I must admit it is pretty amusing how this area completely freaks out when a storm hits! Watching the idiot sheeple who run scared from one thing to another just like their liberal masters want them to is a hoot!

Quickly buy milk and toliet paper! Abandon your cars before it is to late!

Posted by: Pilot1 | December 18, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

in terms of snow accumulation total predictions, this storm reminds me a lot of PDII from feb '03. called for about the same the day before with gradual increasesin accumulation throuhgout the day. then the next day it just kept on going up. i could be wrong, but this seems very very similar

Posted by: danuva | December 18, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Doug Hill is now saying 14-20 common in most areas and localized higher amounts! Man, I can't wait...........bring it!!!

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

As others mentioned, the Giant on Duke street while crowded is dealing very well. Plenty of stuff on shelves and the clerks are moving at lightning speed.

I was in and out in less than half an hour.

Posted by: kallieh | December 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

NWS Sterling just upped the accumulations to 1 to 2 feet!

Posted by: HillcrestDC | December 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I have to second Pilot1's reaction -- I work at Fort Belvoir, and I had to RE-ROUTE on my normal commute across post to the Telegraph Road gate due to an UNBELIEVABLE amount of extra traffic streaming into the commissary on North Post. To use the term "FULL-BLOWN PANIC" in capital letters is not hyperbole -- they were TRIPLE-parked in the commissary parking lot and running to and from the front doors of the building. Again, just unbelievable. The cars were also stacked four and five deep at the post gas stations. C'mon, folks -- it'll be "challenging" for a day or two, but it's not the end of the world!!

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | December 18, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

why does the radar show snow?

Posted by: samdman95 | December 18, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

VA State of mind-- I work at Belvoir too. Took 41 min just to get off post. Re-routed to Kingman gate via Commissary. Never again. You'd think the end was coming. Never seen anything like it on Belvoir. Found out my parent's phone is out in Bristow (they had phone this AM). Bad timing with this storm. Hope we can get Verizon out there before 2010 after this storm hits to check it out!

Posted by: southbridgemom | December 18, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

There's snow in the air, it's falling, but it's too dry at this time to reach the ground.

Posted by: Murre | December 18, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

To give you an idea of how bad this is...Delta and United have canceled all flights tomorrow and are pulling their planes out of DCA and IAD. Much like they do in a hurricane.

My folks are in Gordonsville off 15 and 64, and it is already snowing steadily there.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@sandman - It is virga, snow that evaporates before it hits the ground. The atmosphere will eventually become saturated enough so that the snow reaches the ground.

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Man, if you all the rain from that storm that just pounded us all day in coastal Carolina hits the cold air over DC, you may as well plan for a ten-day weekend.

Posted by: shorebird70 | December 18, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

ksrgatorfn1-

Woah. Really? I don't doubt you, but a source for that would be really cool!

Posted by: mason08 | December 18, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Watch the dewpoint. As the snow is falling into the dry air and evaporating, it will eventually saturate the air (bringing the dewpoint up).At what point it will start to snow outside your window is beyond my expertise but the dewpoint is 18 now and it will rise into the 20's before we see the snow.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 18, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Mason08, Channel 4 is the one who said they were doing that. They have someone live at DCA.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

What server is failing (I saw the tweet)?

Posted by: Murre | December 18, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

To clarify from Ch 4, Apparently Delta is pulling out of DCA, and United is pulling out of IAD...but that is all they have for now.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Mayor Fenty has officially declared a snow emergency, so keep track of where you park if you don't want to get towed. :-)

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

wusa9 has confirmed United has canceled all flights out of iad,dca,and bwi tomorrow.

Posted by: SPS1 | December 18, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I still have a blurry memory of the '96 snowstorm, back when I was 5 years old. I remember arriving home in Virginia after the 2003 storm and seeing the deep accumulation in my front yard. But somehow, this storm seems more exciting than both of those. There's so much energy on CapitalWeather that, even if you hate snow (I happen to love it), you have to be a little bit excited at this point. Well, maybe.
In times like this, I have to remind myself that snow isn't the most important thing. But it will be a lot of fun to make repeated trips outside with the yardstick tomorrow and see all of this settle down.
I think we're all aware that this is a very special event. I get excited about 4 inches in DC these days; but 12 inches? 16? 20? It's a whole different world. I'm a little numb to the excitement at this point, but once the snow does begin to fall, I'm really not sure what will happen. Will I go crazy and just run around the house? Will I spend all the time reading Capital Weather reports? I just hope that I'll make the most of the event. It could be a decade or longer before a storm like this returns.
So enjoy it, everyone. Really enjoy it. Snow isn't the most important thing in the world, but this will truly be an experience.
Oh--my guess is 15-18 inches for McLean, Virginia. About the same for DC. We'll see if my optimism holds up.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 18, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

This radar is just chock full of precip going waaaay off to our southwest.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Why do people always say people in DC freak out because of snow? Maybe in Virginia, definitely, but not in DC or MD. When I lived in New Jersey they dealt with it the same way. Same with New York. In Germantown "nobody is rushing to Giant" it's like a regular Friday. I'm even still going out with guys tonite. Everything will be shut down Sat but the only people used to 2 feet of snow live in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Posted by: one4all | December 18, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

It's insane out there. The parking lot at Giant is a mess and Old Georgetown Road is crazy. I heard on WTOP that traffic is bumper to bumper on 95 south from the beltway to Fredericksburg!

Posted by: PeterBethesda | December 18, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 34.5 with overcast skies.

Here is a great website for information on previous major winter events in the area from as far back as 1772:

Posted by: Yellowboy | December 18, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Wonkette has a mention of this blog and the incredible snow that is going to destroy DC. It made me chuckle.

Posted by: Murre | December 18, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Pilot1 what in the world does being liberal have to do with buying supplies before a snowstorm? Please, keep your political views out of this

Posted by: mrevell83 | December 18, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

For disabled relatives, friends, neighbors-- please readers, check on them now. (thank you)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Any report from anyone of snow in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area?? Looks like Nexrad is indicating snow there - approaching Southern Prince William...??

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

i have a question for the cwg. the rqadar is mopving fast. will we get snow from what is shown on the radar now then when the low is near us it will create more sow?

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

The Whole Foods near Potomac Avenue Metro was insane at 4:30 p.m. I picked up fewer than 15 items, got into the express lane, and got out at 5:15--that's normally a 20-minute trip if I dally. Oh, and I totally stole a parking space from someone else (thanks for the Christmas karma, Santa). The parking garage was overfull and people were circling like vultures. Heaven help the unprepared.

Posted by: mensan98th | December 18, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@snowlover3

Yes-- More snow will develop as the low nears the region and we should even get a little "wrap-around" once it passes. Having said that, the heaviest snows will be overnight and through probably around mid afternoon tomorrow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok everybody, let's each get out a bucket of water and saturate that air all right? :-)

Posted by: kygurl94 | December 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

2 inches on the ground in Crozet after only 2.5 hours of snowfall. I just made my run for beer, BBQ and chips, and will hunker down for the duration.

Posted by: wahoojosh | December 18, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

so when will it stop?
earlier then thought

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I have chocolate, a book, a space blanket and a weather radio that can be hand cranked. I am all set. I just want the roads cleared, metro operating the Smithsonian Museums open on Monday. Kids can have the day off of school though (just say out of the Museums).

Posted by: epjd | December 18, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Harris teeter in West end Alex a chaotic mess.
Im Hunkering down, with a good book, some good food, and some nice music

Posted by: pvogel88 | December 18, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Fredericksburg has snow falling as of 6:30.
Lite dusting already on the deck!!!!! Kids are dancing outside as I type.:)

Posted by: kambplutz | December 18, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Settled in for the night, and got a call from my brother who is taking his mother in law to the hospital. I may need to head over to his house in about two hours to watch the children. Then I hope to head home. Last thing I want is to drive in the dark once roads get slick. Hoping the snow starts later rather than sooner...

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Query. This is an honest question and not political. Apparently, the US delegation to Copenhagen is returning earlier than planned to avoid the worst of the storm, rather than leaving on Saturday. Wouldn't leaving earlier put them here during the worst of it? Would it not make more sense to leave later since this will be out by Sunday?

Posted by: epjd | December 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

kambplutz - you've verified Nexrad. Looks like Northern Prince William and Southern Fairfax is next..

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

epjd,

I get what you are asking and I think they left already. I would assume that the issue might be transport once they land? The roads are going to be a mess.

Posted by: SPS1 | December 18, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

In Old Town, Alexandria. Nothing here yet. Will report in as I see the flakes start to fall. For that matter, I'm on twitter at http://twitter.com/joelhousman

Posted by: joelhousman | December 18, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Just poked the head outside in Manassas/Bull Run area. nothing yet. Debating one quick run to the store for some crackers...hoping the mad dash might have dropped off enough to make it worthwhile...

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Spotsy. Just started 25 mins ago. car, roof, grass solid cover, driveway just started being covered

Posted by: panthersny | December 18, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Same here in the City of Manassas, no snow yet. It's 32 here.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Started snowing in NW Spotsy about 6:15, now moderate snow, about 1/2" temp 32 & falling.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 18, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I love your "Forecast Confidence" graphic. I wish I could stick those on some of the stories my newspaper prints -- "Correctness Confidence": low to medium.

Posted by: nonotme | December 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

It began snowing here in N. Stafford about 1/2 hour ago. Now, moderate snow is now falling.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | December 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Come baby come baby baby come come, you know you gotta gimme lovin' and you gotta gimme some...

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Went out around noon today in Ashburn/Sterling to run some last errands before we get socked in for the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Target wasn't too awful busy; Total Wine was doing a brisk business ;-)

Everyone please stay safe this weekend!

Posted by: natsncats | December 18, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Camden-CapitalWeatherGang. I hope that snow-lovers enjoy this storm, but it's worth remembering that for sick or disabled people, or people who have the bad luck to suffer heart attacks or other medical emergencies over the next 24-36 hours, this storm will be anything but "fun." Ditto for those who lose their power.

Posted by: lydgate | December 18, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Light snow here (Blue Ridge Mtns east of Front Royal, elev 1850) since about 7p. Accumulation: trace
Temp: 23.4F

Got dry firewood ready. Going to continue with emergency preparations, filling up tub, getting hand-crank radio out, etc.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 18, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Flakes started here in Lake Ridge.. Next stop.. Fairfax.. Let the fun begin!!

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

@epjd, love the irony - Copenhagen delegation on global warming can't get home due to a snowstorm

reminds of the global warming protest on capitol hill that took place during last March's snowstorm

Posted by: TGT11 | December 18, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

cwg what are the chances of power outages

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

So I meant the Harris Teeter at Potomac Avenue Metro, not the Whole Foods--because there isn't a WF in the area. Sigh. Please meet my friends Mr. Sam Adams and Mr. Ommegang, the latter of whom brought his friends The Three Philosophers.

Posted by: mensan98th | December 18, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

can someone tell me a realistic time this might start in Takoma park , MD??????

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Just starting to see a few small flakes come down here in the City of Manassas

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I think what a lot of folks are failing to take into consideration w/ regard to the rush rush rush on the roads to get places before the storm hits is that with Christmas next week, a lot of shopping was going to be done this weekend. With the amount of snow predicted, tomorrow is out as a shopping day for most people and Sunday may be as well.

Also, for anyone having to mail packages out of town, tonight may be the last chance to ensure they get there before Christmas (w/o having to pay extra in shipping).

That's what had me rushing around today. I'm now done with my Christmas shopping for out-of-towners and only have my wife left to buy for. That'll get done next Wednesday (procrastination is my strong suit).

Enjoy the white stuff, folks, it's going to be a great weekend!

Posted by: SamFelis | December 18, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Why do Channel 9 & other TV stations keep predicting forties and RAIN for Thursday???--It could RUIN our White Christmas--not to mention the flooding due as rain melts all the snow!!!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | December 18, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Howdy pardners, scared of snow huh!

Posted by: houston123 | December 18, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Weather channel - up to 2 feet in DC!!

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Just hit 1" in NW Spotsy., 31 with moderate snow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 18, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Flakes falling in Manassas/Bull Run. Time to make my last run for stuff, then hunker down.

And houston123, I don't think we're scared, but excited.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

It's just starting to snow here in St. Marys County. We're snugged in and ready -- plow is on the tractor!

Posted by: Nana7 | December 18, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Started snowing in Dumfries about 7:15. I'd call it 'moderate flurries' now. I'm trying to push hubby out the door to get our daughter from her Girl Scout meeting (which ends at 8:30). Wish me luck -- with the reports above, it could be a real bear getting back down our hill. We just got a call saying our new frig would be delivered tomorrow between 11:30am and 3:30 pm. Yeah, on a sleigh maybe... Let the games begin!

Posted by: southbridgemom | December 18, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

8 PM light snow falling in Dumfries, VA. Slight dusting on car roofs. Temp 31.

Posted by: fall_line | December 18, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I just hope you guys are not hyping this storm on a slow weather week, like the other guys at ACCUWeather who talked about this storm for over week.

Posted by: BlizzardMD | December 18, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyone calling for just 1" or 2"? There seems to be near unanimity amongs the experts that this will be a major snowstorm. Kinda reminds me of the Patriots beating the Giants in the Superbowl a few years back. Or USC beating Texas for the national championship.

Posted by: jojo2008 | December 18, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Fredericksburg and southern Stafford now have heavy snow

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

We're NW of Charlottesville near the Albemarle/Greene border and have 3+" on the ground now, been snowing since about 5, so getting about 1"/hr. At that rate we should hit 24" by sundown tomorrow. Roads are terrible around here (I did fine in my 4wd FJ Cruiser), but all the major roads are parking lots already.

Posted by: carrerascott | December 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

What snow? It was 74 here today and we had our office Christmas party out on the plaza here in lovely San Diego.

But I remember several great storms back there....like the President's Day mess in 2003, was it? I forget, joyfully....

Posted by: Bluefish2012 | December 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Snow into the LoCo bootheel near South Riding. Here we go...

Posted by: DullesARC | December 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Light snow here in Manassas. Started about 20 minutes ago.

Posted by: SkinsDiesel | December 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Knowing that we would get snow starting tonight, this has been the longest day. I think I have peeked outside ten times in the last hour and at radar too.

Hopefully starts soon!

Posted by: jaybird926 | December 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Finally getting a light snow here in the Rippon area of Woodbridge.

Posted by: caryn74 | December 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Snow started in Centreville VA in the last 15 minutes.

Posted by: cville4 | December 18, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Light snow flurries in Fairfax City. Yay!

Posted by: JW21 | December 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

light snow in Herndon

Posted by: packyderm2 | December 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

flakes in Oakton..

Posted by: SPS1 | December 18, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Beginning to get a few flakes on the west side of Alexandria!

Posted by: kschoen | December 18, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Steady light snow in Lake Ridge.. Light dusting.. Should pick up soon with the heavy stuff coming straight up 95 from Stafford..

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Tiny light flakes have begun falling in Merrifield, east of Fairfax City.

Posted by: --sg | December 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

29.8 deg here now now in Waterford, still hasn't started.

Posted by: Narrows | December 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

A few flakes in Clarendon

Posted by: mrevell83 | December 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

juuuust barely starting in falls church!

can't see it out the window yet, but i went outside and felt little tiny flakes landing on me.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

A few light flakes have started here in McLean.

Posted by: dcawx | December 18, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Obviously nothing yet here in Columbia, but you woudn't know it by the traffic, jeesh!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Flurries have begun here in Glover Park DC.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

the storm has slowed to a crawl. accualtions are going to be enormous, i expect models to shift storm a little west putting counties just west of i95 in the jackpot zone. is the right cwg?

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Very light snow just starting in Del Ray.

Posted by: esmith22015 | December 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Vienna

Posted by: Vienna8425 | December 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a mile from UVa and we have more than 5". Barely made it home from train station. I'm going to up my prediction to 20" for C'ville.

Snuggled in and enjoying the view.

Woo hoo!

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 18, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Mitchrapp just went outside and is feeling tiny little flakes in Worldgate Herndon.

Posted by: kygurl94 | December 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Light flurries in NW Centreville (Sully Station). They look so innocent--it's gonna have to pick up to get more than an inch or two :-)

Posted by: jkuchen | December 18, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

steady, light snow in fairfax. starting to coat the grass and deck.

Posted by: Jordana20 | December 18, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Light snow just began at 8:35 in Mount Vernon.

Posted by: griffin1108 | December 18, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Bluefish,
You picked the wrong crowd to brag about your San Diego weather. Most folks on this board appreciate a dynamic atmosphere. California is nice and all, but the weather is so boring.

Posted by: GD1975 | December 18, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

First few spitting flurries at Court House in Arlington.

Posted by: WDCRob | December 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Light steady snow just starting in Shirlington.

Posted by: jochpo | December 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Snow is now falling heavily in N. Stafford......roads are becoming covered.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | December 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

@GD1975, I'd rather have San Diego weather, I was hoping Al Gore was right

Posted by: TGT11 | December 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

8:40: Montgomery College on Georgia Ave. Still nothing. Excitement is killing me.

Posted by: ishq | December 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

CWG i think the 18-24 needs to shift west

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Just came in from outside in Herndon, Va. I remember posting yesterday around this same time with the predictions of snow. I posted 17 inches for Herndon. With the size of the flakes being the smallest and finest I've ever seen, I do believe we are going to be buried out here. Please send one of those Saint Bernard dogs to us tomorrow with the whiskey tied around his/her neck please, along with an ipod and a laptop if the dog can handle all that :}

Posted by: MITCHRAPP | December 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Just looked out my window and a dusting is on the cars in the parking lot here in Alexandria by the Harris Teeter.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | December 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@Whowver was asking about panic:

Because DC *can't* handle a lot of snow, and gets paralyzed sometimes for days when it snows this much.

At least with this storm there's a reason to stock up a bit, unlike when it's 1" of wintry mix.

And in case you're wondering, I picked up 10 gallons of milk and a bunch of extra rounds, so don't be looking to me, you hear?

Posted by: ah___ | December 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm still at work on Capitol Hill, no sign of flurries yet!

Posted by: AmberGale | December 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Light flurries in Dupont at 8:40.

Posted by: todd27 | December 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

First flakes at 8:30pm in Crystal City.

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | December 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

da** man, ah__, that (your) post was funnier than mine.

Posted by: MITCHRAPP | December 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Now getting light-to-moderate snow in Crystal City at 8:50.

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | December 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Light flurries started within the past 5 minutes in Bloomingdale. 32.5/39% humidity - which seems odd to me, but I'll take it.

Posted by: checkypantz | December 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

The "light dandruff" has just started in Waterford. Can't wait for the real deal to start in earnest.

Posted by: Narrows | December 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

NWS Blacksburg talking about the storm slowing down. Thinking we are going to really get socked by this storm.

Posted by: dcawx | December 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in Old Town Alexandria. Been falling for 10-15 minutes.

Posted by: joelhousman | December 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

ah____

A few extra rounds: are you prepping for a snow fall or a zombie outbreak?

Posted by: ckcharm | December 18, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

It is really starting to come down here in the City of Manassas, fine flakes and sticking to all surfaces.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Snow just barely starting now in Bethesda.

Posted by: PeterBethesda | December 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Although we expect flakes to start almost immediately, the beautiful, throbbing heart of downtown Springfield remains pristine! ~ As I was writing that a good quarter inch of stuff just fell out of the sky and covered the cars.

Let's say 26", maybe more!

Posted by: muawiyah | December 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

NWS is bumping overnight accumulations to 4 to 8 inches across the area.

Posted by: dcawx | December 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Light snow falling in Herndon

Posted by: jchalla | December 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Light snow now falling in Clarendon neighborhood of Arlington

Posted by: mrevell83 | December 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Nothing yet in Silver Spring, but sounds like any minute now . . .

Posted by: rscottking | December 18, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Brief flurries at the Arlington/McLean line a few minute ago. Off again now.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 18, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

It just started snowing in Potomac near Great Falls...

Posted by: someonelikeyou | December 18, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

rscottking
right there with u man

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Dusting on cars in Shirlington...right on schedule (8:40) :-)

Posted by: vaguypost | December 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

After just 25 minutes in NW Centreville, we already have a solid dusting on the sidewalks, the asphalt, and the neighbors' cars that are not fortunate enough to be in a garage. Weekends like this one are why we insisted on a garage when we moved! I swore after '03 that I wouldn't dig out my car from 2+ feet ever again....

Posted by: jkuchen | December 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Darnestown checking in with our first flakes at 8:43. Talk to all you Camden's Crazies much later tonight. HUZZAH!

Posted by: megster671 | December 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Very light flurries in downtown Silver Spring... game on!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | December 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

LMAO CKCHARM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing like a little left for dead!

Posted by: MITCHRAPP | December 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

First flakes in Kensington, MD just north of the District, at 9 pm

Posted by: h0db | December 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

@dcawx

Could you post where you received the suggestion from Blacksburg that the storm is slowing down? I'm curious myself

Posted by: caulaincourt | December 18, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Darnestown, MD, that is. It's crossed the Potomac!

Posted by: megster671 | December 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in Huntington. Gonna be a long night.

Posted by: raleighr | December 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Herndon - sidewalks are covered by snow dust. Asphalt pavements are getting whiter.

Posted by: jchalla | December 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Just starting in Shady Side, MD at 9:05PM. Beautiful...

Posted by: rollingphone | December 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Or some Dead Space. Right Mitchrapp??

JKuchen, glad that my car is in a garage too; however, I just hope that I can get out of it b/c it's under the condo building! Lovin' the snow regardless.

Any predictions for my Chantilly company's catered holiday lunch on Monday?

Posted by: kygurl94 | December 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria Light snow that started around 8:40 pm has now almost stopped. Barely flurrying now. The brief band we had was enought to get the roads and sidwalks wet, which is great considering is ~ 31 degrees out. Will post again when it strengthens.

Posted by: joelhousman | December 18, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

5 inches on the pavement and 7 inches in the yard at Crozet. This is awesome!

Posted by: wahoojosh | December 18, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

OMG, apparently the NAM is going HUGE in this last crucial run. People on Easternwx forums are talkin' over 2 feet now.

Posted by: PeterBethesda | December 18, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

TWC just posted snow totals for Albemarle, VA at 8:55, stating C'ville has 2.2" ROTFL - they need to walk outside - downtown C'ville has more than 2x that and it's snowing heavier than I can remember back to our big DC storm of '79.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 18, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

0z NAM continues to pump out insane numbers for raw precip. That it's still holding, and even expanding in that idea is something...

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

NWS just upped accumulations for tonight by 4-8 inches. Calling for 15-25 in Bethesda.

Posted by: PeterBethesda | December 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Thomas Circle at 14th and Mass Ave. NW. It went from flurries to light to moderate to heavy in about a cigarette (5 minutes) Cars coated. Thank god i stocked up on beer. Shall I have another?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | December 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Flurries in North Bethesda. We needed wiper fluid, and the Safeway at CT & Knowles had no TP, and a lone gallon of milk. Husband says it was "a madhouse".

Posted by: Fab5Mama | December 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

snow falling steadily in alexandria - light dusting on the ground - beautiful!

Posted by: anitaks618 | December 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

just measured 1 1/2" here in spotsy

Posted by: panthersny | December 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

The comment from Blacksburg was mentioned on another weather site I was looking at. To be correct Blacksburg is saying that the low will slow down Saturday morning.

Posted by: dcawx | December 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria I spoke too soon. It's now picked up again and, I dare say, is snowing a bit harder than earlier. I would call it a very strong, light snow. Perhaps even "normal" Snow if it gets much harder.

Don't you love subjective metrics?

Posted by: joelhousman | December 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

"It's crossed the Potomac!" megster671

That's a Puke education for ya.

Posted by: TheMot | December 18, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Ian: I've been watching the 0z NAM as it has been coming out as well. I'm amazed at the consistency of the ridiculous precipitation amounts.

32.3, down from 33.8 with light snow here in Sterling.

Posted by: Sterlingva | December 18, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

00z NAM = Wow.

Posted by: Holt1 | December 18, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Panthersny,

I heard on WFLS, the Spotsy Sheriff Department is closing all major roads in the County. Have you heard the same?

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I think I saw a snowflake here in DC but it might have been the neighbor who smokes outside his window! I donno!

Posted by: joejack65 | December 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

according to 0Z nam were getting THUNDERSNOW ,,, WOW!!!!

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

can someone post a link to the 00Z NAM?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | December 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

1.75" in NW Spotys., moderate snow, 30.3

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 18, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who said it is snowing in downtown Silver Spring. I live less than 1/2 mile away and there is nothing here. NOTHING!

Posted by: eor11 | December 18, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

QPF over 2.5 for most all of central MD. with ratios of 15:1. that is over 30 inches

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I live in Downtown Silver Spring, no snow here yet, idk who said that

Posted by: ianswank | December 18, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@eor11... I said it, and it's true... tiny flakes falling right across from wayne ave garage. Looking forward to getting those heavier bands up this way!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | December 18, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

it just started snowing flurries in here takoma park

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

@ snowlover3: According to Jason, ratio should be closer to 10:1 due to Atlantic-moisture-laden snow (I asked that question earlier today).

Temperature continues to fall in Sterling, now below freezing, light snow.

Posted by: Sterlingva | December 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in Tenleytown

Posted by: mjwies11 | December 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

BTW heres the nam total QPF ... WOW^^^^

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The ground is lightly covered already in Reston. Gorgeous small flakes are coming down steadily. Safe travels to all.

Posted by: Restonmom | December 18, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

SkywalkerSS is right -- ever-so-light snow falling, visible under streetlights 'bout six blocks east of downtown Silver Spring.

Posted by: random-adam | December 18, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Just took the dog out for her last walk on dry pavement here in North Bethesda by the Harris Teeter. Snow began falling at about 9:18. Beautiful light flakes. Can't wait to see her frolick in the snow tomorrow morning!

Posted by: snickering | December 18, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Despite the heat I'm packing (watch out you milk and TP-wanting zombies), there's snow in Wesley Heights.

Posted by: ah___ | December 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

NWS just upped our overnight prediction to 5" - 9".

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | December 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Seeing the first light snow out here in Ashburn.

I'm all stocked up on supplies, don't have to go anywhere this weekend. Why do I feel so nervous about this storm?!

Posted by: natsncats | December 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Judging by all the oohs and aahs and "I'm raiding the supermarket" comments people in Northen Virginia sure do get excited when snow falls. The Potomac River really is the cultural border between the North and the South.

Posted by: TheMarylander | December 18, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Ok Skywalker, there are now some tiny fluries on Dale Ave.

Posted by: eor11 | December 18, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

joel,
"subjective metrics" - great name for a band, no?

i would still call it "light" snow in falls church. just barely starting to stick to surfaces. my street was pre-treated, so nothing there yet.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the new Art building at Montgomery College on Georgia Ave. (Silver Spring) and nothing yet. Still waiting for ANYTHING... oh the anticipation...

Posted by: ishq | December 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocalypse has made its way to northern Loudoun! First flakes starting to fall in Lovettsville...

Posted by: map408 | December 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Tiny flurries spotted in Calverton.

Posted by: ana_b | December 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Light snow is now falling in Columbia Heights in DC. Temps are falling fast, too.

Posted by: otavio | December 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Started here in Silver Spring/Forest Glen

Posted by: rscottking | December 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Three orange rotating balls of fire in the SW sky here in Falls Church; horizon a murmuring sherbet.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

starts early, ends early, less than 6 inches, i make my flight sunday morning

Posted by: bayrood | December 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Really starting to come down in Clarendon, just beginning to cover roads

Posted by: mrevell83 | December 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

coming down lightly at this point in Bowie...

Posted by: ddawkkins | December 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

We're gonna need a bigger boat....

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

CWG, other "weather guys" (and gals),

this is the point in a snow storm when i usually start to hear all the meteorology guys report that something's wrong with "storm track" or the latest NAM or EURO or some other series of letters is "backing off" or something. now, i'm hearing the models are "insane" and numbers are "HUGE", prediction are "upped", "historic storm"

is this really going to be THAT storm where everything works out perfectly!?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Monkeys in the back yard dividing into teams for solstice cricket match.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

light snow has begun in downtown Silver Spring (near Giant/Metro)!!!

Posted by: bmp246 | December 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Streetlight-visible flurries near Four Corners in Silver Spring.

Posted by: arc410 | December 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

We have half an inch here in the City of Manassas. The flakes are steady and still very fine.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

And we have lift off ladies and gents...

Posted by: ishq | December 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1

Awesome posts!

Posted by: mensan98th | December 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Brian - very funny (and scary in a good way coming from you)

Posted by: novajeffc | December 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Just starting to flurry in Odenton, MD.

Posted by: add1212 | December 18, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Steady snow starting to stick in Adams Morgan, DC. 9:35 pm.

Posted by: krosseel | December 18, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow nice "deteriorating" conditions in G'town over the past hour - snow started around 8:45 and the streets are already covered, NE winds picking up pretty good already.

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 18, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Been snowing steadily in Gaithersburg for last 20 minutes or so. Plenty of Belgian beer on hand. Life is good.

Posted by: h8paperdoll | December 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

redskinsfan01,
does that map indicate 25" for here (@10:1 ratio)?

can you believe our last (and next) few days: cerrato out and historic snow!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I am home and settled in for the night. Thankfully just beat the snow. Sidewalks, courtyard and balcony coated here in Alexandria. Snow is falling at a picturesque clip.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 18, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey yall- what happens if we all lose our internet???

Posted by: k3llyR | December 18, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

At this point, there's not much that can go "wrong" with this one. Even an abrupt right turn would likely leave in excess of 6 inches across much of the area. It looks like we're in it this time, so take notes. You won't be able to whine about "always missing the big one" for a while after this.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

FAIR OAKS, VA - When I got out of Avatar @ 9:20 we were at 1/2" of powder on the roads.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | December 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

30 min in NE DC went from the first flurries to the streets being covered. Bring it on!

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | December 18, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the first storms in a long time, that in literally every single forecast, the snow total was up! And CWG predictions are fairly conservative compared to most 15-25 predictions that i have heard!

Posted by: samdman95 | December 18, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1

I'll have what she's/he's having...

Posted by: SPS1 | December 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

How was that movie velocity?

Posted by: PoorTeacher | December 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

My prediction no schools next week, kids don't have to go back till next year.

Posted by: jchalla | December 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey yall- what happens if we all lose our internet???

___________

Anarchy...

Posted by: bmp246 | December 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

k3lly, conference call, whats your #?

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I must say, at this early hour, that snowpocalypse is much better than hurricane porn...

Posted by: tidalwave1 | December 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

So much for MD people not freaking out....

ABC 7's Julie Parker reports "chaos" at a Giant Food in Rockville, with crowds extending from the parking lot to the bread aisles. Some stores have waits for shopping carts.

Julie also reports a Lowe's in Gaithersburg has run out of snow shovels, and had only two snowblowers left as of noon. She also visited a Home Depot in Rockville and Kmart in Gaithersburg that were out of snow shovels.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm in awe of this event.. epic.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

From where I sit in Adams Morgan/18th Street in DC, the 'exciting' part of town, the taxis are disappearing and the restaurants are emptying. Everyone going home and about half an inch of snow on the car rooftops.

Posted by: krosseel | December 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Got my whiskey. Got my guitar. Got my frozen dinners. This will not be a problem.

Posted by: noybizz | December 18, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Underway in Columbia.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Started snowing just before 8:45 where I am, SW corner of Route 1 and the Beltway. An hour later, ground not covered yet but it's sure to come soon. Nice coating out on the recycling deck in the back.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | December 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Carols drifting across from Jerry's trenches. Fires are burning openly and we're lighting three cigarettes at once. Lieutenant shouting some reprimands from down past the emplacement but a few of us have started singing back; Mackie is looking for some biscuits to throw across to them.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | December 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

to everybody complaining about us D.C, people "freaking out" and being "wimps". This could be in the top 5 storms in the last 140 YEARS! this is EPIC!

Posted by: samdman95 | December 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

28 degrees now in Waterford and its totally snowing. Sticking on the deck. Flakes small but very steady.

Posted by: Narrows | December 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Not going to sleep until I see something really start here in Silver Spring. Hopefully me, my St. Bernard, and my English Mastiff can go for a romp around 1 a.m.

Posted by: eor11 | December 18, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Sure am glad I have 10 gallons of homebrew almost done fermenting in the basement! We may run out of milk, but we're set for beer for the rest of the year. Bring it on!

Posted by: brewer1 | December 18, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Wild, it's been snowing for over 20 min in Gaithersburg, but it just started snowing lightly in Laytonsville about 5 minutes ago. Temp. 28.7F

Posted by: dprats21 | December 18, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Silver Spring is in the house tonight. Sticking already here... sidewalk getting covered!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | December 18, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm up in Havre de Grace, MD and can't tell from other local sites if our snow accumulation totals are going up or down...each site is different! Will we get the brunt of this storm, like DC and Baltimore, or are we going to miss "epic" status?

Posted by: tracythewriter | December 18, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

snow started an hour ago here in springfield. we now have a few inches of snow on the ground.

Posted by: cfusion | December 18, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from a run to Target on 28 in manassas. Very steady snow falling, and the roads are covered. Saw many plows out, but not enough to actually lay blades to road yet, which means driving is sketchy at best. In the hour I was in the store, the parking lot went from clear to covered, and I had to clear both front and back windows.

If you head out, drive safe.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else suprised that accuweather only predicts 8.2 inches of snow? normally they go crazy over this stuff

Posted by: samdman95 | December 18, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Annapolis.

Posted by: DMTerp02 | December 18, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Way O-T, but Brewer1, what you making? I've had a Smoked porter conditioning since Nov. to be ready for Christmas

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Alright people. Heading home for the weekend now. have a wonderful and safe weekend.

Posted by: ishq | December 18, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

walter-in-fallschurch

Its very Possible but im lowering it to about 18

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

OMGOMGOMGgetitoffofmeee!!!

Seriously, tho, it's been going for about an hour here in Alexandria. Light coating on the ground. I expect it to start in earnest around midnight. Bring it on.

Posted by: truyle | December 18, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Just read on the blog header that next update will be at 10:45 or 11, may be significant accumulation adjustments. Up, down, east, west? Any crumbs you can throw us? Thx.

Posted by: krosseel | December 18, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing in Olney!!!
Hurray!

I am surprised that Accuweather is not going crazy- I think it is becuase this is a narrow band, maybe?

Posted by: celestun100 | December 18, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Our next update will be around 10:45 or 11 pm. We may need to make some significant adjustments to accumulation map.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Sue Palka on 5 says 5-6 inches already on the ground in Albemarle near Charlottesville.

Just salted the front steps and sidewalk. Now where did I put my yardstick....?

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

brewer1 - I just bottled my oatmeal mocha stout - gotta wait a few more weeks. doh!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | December 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Jason-CWG, looking forward to the update. This is amazing!

Posted by: krosseel | December 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jackwatson1968 | December 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Coming down steadily on the Silver Spring/ Takoma Park border. Boys are outside playing football, I'm inside enjoying a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. We're only a couple of blocks from the Giant, so I'll go for whatever is left tomorrow. We're good on milk and TP, so I won't need to be picky.

Posted by: p-man | December 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cfusion | December 18, 2009 9:58 PM

FYI, this guy is lying. I live in Springfield, and we have a dusting.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | December 18, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

This is a shout out to Melissa ---- Stinkerflat1 is Greg (AKA - RAINMAN GREG)! We were out to night and just got your message!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 18, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

oh wow....12-24" now predicted on 5 for the Metro with even more bullseyed right over northern P-willy to Loudon.

YIKES!

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 18, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok, assuming this is going to happen, and assuming everyone ran to the store; what did folks plan to eat this weekend? What did we buy (besides milk, TP, etc.)?

I am planning pot roast, got a rib roast and the fixings for curried chicken. Anyone else have a snowed in comfort food plan?

Posted by: eor11 | December 18, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Snowing at a good clip in North Bethesda/Rockville area. Can see Rockville Pike is still moving at a decent pace - maybe not as much traffic as I would expect on a Friday night, but not deserted either. Sure it will be different soon.

Posted by: salf | December 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Snowing now in Annapolis, MD....Been snowing for 20 minutes....Let the games begin!

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | December 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Weather Underground says we have "SNOW FREEZING FOG". What the heck is freezing fog?

Posted by: k3llyR | December 18, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

wow we may be in for a very long night and day its rediculious , like vinnys face LOL

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

2.25" in NW Spotys., mod snow 29. Great day 2day caught a 31lb rockfish at 301 Bridge & snow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

just drove up the street from neighbor's house in Vienna and with only 1/3" of snow on the street, the driving is still horrible

Posted by: rocotten | December 18, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

We're making some baked ziti here in these parts. Or as the DH says, "I have nog, I have mallomars, bring on the blizzard." He homebrewed some eggnog this year starting 11/1, and is braver than I in drinking it.

Posted by: Fab5Mama | December 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Went by the new Wal Mart at Manassas Mall around 6:30 this evening. There was a wait for carts, lines at the check out lanes were 7 deep and shelves were emptying quickly. Everyone seemed in a good mood. Got my food, drinks and TP...gas for the vehicles so I am ready for the white stuff to pile up. Hopefully, the Federal Government will make a wise decision and give employees Monday off and let the road crews work on the roads.

Posted by: RWRose | December 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

So it begins! Snow started here in Ellicott City just around 10pm. Starting to stick to parked cars at this point. Nothing on the roads or grass yet.

Posted by: Finn1917 | December 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Tell Sue we're approaching 8" in here in Charlottesville.

I have never, ever, seen it snow this hard, this long, in my life.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 18, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

We're starting to get very small flakes here in East Baltimore! Woohoo!

Posted by: bachaney | December 18, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@eor11

Got an eye of round roast and some Yukon Gold potatoes for tomorrow (I make some mean mashed potatoes, if I say so myself). We're leaving for Florida Sunday, so it's a one-day comfort food event for us.

Posted by: mensan98th | December 18, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Pancakes and bacon just now, with some burgers under the broiler waiting for lunch. Safeway is four blocks away, so I'll lace up the boots and walk over tomorrow to see what remains after it's calmed down a bit. Maybe chicken parmesan for dinner...

And in between, plenty of bourbon and Wii. :)

Posted by: random-adam | December 18, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Jason--

Didn't I tell you to "never forecast a record" in forecasting class at UVa?

I hereby rescind that rule.

Pat Michaels
Cato Institute
George Mason University

Posted by: pmichaels1 | December 18, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Been snowing at a very good clip in Lake Ridge - winter wonderland.. Reminds me of the snows we used to get in the 90's..

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

eor11...

I bought some beef and raided the red wine section of Total Wine...add some garlic..bayleaf..yum...

Can't wait to see the new totals..

Posted by: SPS1 | December 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

That's something coming from you, Dr. Michaels! Something for the meteo books!

Posted by: krosseel | December 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

drinking scotch, eating tandoori chicken, watching snow fall and christmas lights on trees, life is not bad.

Posted by: jchalla | December 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

eor11: I have tomato soup/grilled cheese, curried vegetable rice, and maybe a beefy mac & cheese planned if we're still here on Monday. My baking plans include mini pumpkin cheesecakes and christmas-tree cutout sugar cookies with green icing and red sugar sprinkles.

Posted by: --sg | December 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@ irish031...If you're talking about the Giant at Montrose Crossing, the customers there are pretty dumb. The Harris Teeter less than 1/2 mile away on Old Georgetown has had hardly any crowding at all. I was in there twice, once at 4 and once at 8 and only had one person on line in front of me at the register both times.

Posted by: snickering | December 18, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

just got back in from playing in the snow (!!!) with my daughter. there's a good 3/8" on the streets (which were pre-treated - ha!).

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Snow has finally started in downtown Frederick! Not sticking yet, but I'm sure it won't take long. I was getting worried about when the snow was going to start, since the dew point seemed to be going down, which worked against snow, I thought. But the temperature's also been dropping steadily in the last hour or so.

Posted by: dettiot | December 18, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I have a pizza from Lost Dog, and plan on making blueberry pancakes tomorrow. I also have the makings for Chicken/mushroom/wild rice soup and rolls. More importantly, I am well stocked with wine and chocolate. This is more so that I won't be pried away from my window and, of course, CWG. I am a block from Whole Foods in case a dire need for TP (The rough Whole Foods kind) arises. I might need to sand down some wood or something.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, welcome our new powdery white overlords.

Posted by: Burgundy | December 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

i'm totally making soup and bread. And maybe biscotti!

Posted by: bachaney | December 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@ snickering: I love the Harris Teeter... always get in and out of there fast...

I had earlier posted that traffic was flowing on Rockville Pike. It's now crawling, with folks driving with their flashers on. It's definitely looking snow covered from this perspective.

Posted by: salf | December 18, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

VDOT now saying parts of VA will hit 3 feet.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 18, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I think what the CWG has here regarding major snow adjustments means that there will be MORE SNOW....NOT LESS!!! Models are showing 3ft in D.C.!!!!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 18, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Snickering,

I'm not sure of the location, I just lifted that from the WJLA website.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Where's the snowcam?

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | December 18, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Wife made chili (lots of meat, lots of spice), and had a bottle of white ready. Opening bottle #2 outside and simultaneously watching TV & looking out the window (starting to feel like Marty Feldman).

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 18, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Not much sleep tonight.. oh well, how often do we get this... def worth it!

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

ground and cars are covered in a dusting in downtown Silver Spring...Forecast is up to 16-24+ now, YEAH!!

Posted by: bmp246 | December 18, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Going to slow cook the beef stew all day tomorrow as the snow piles up...

Posted by: bdeco | December 18, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a lot of response to the food question, and that is good. I made ziti last night, have breakfast food in the fridge,and will pit my mashed potatos up against anyone!

Thought about the eye round, but the Giant here in Silver Spring had the rib roast at 1/2 off.

Making the schnapps run tomorrow on foot.

Posted by: eor11 | December 18, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Irish031...it's probably that one. I was over there around 3 and I saw a TV truck by the store. I HATE Giant...it's HT for me all the way!

Posted by: snickering | December 18, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh so so good watching the snow fall.... just returned from Ruths Steakhouse. Full with wine and food and watching the epic snowfall amount roll in!!!

Posted by: battsman | December 18, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

We have a light dusting in Columbia and I have 6 bagels from the Bagel Bin ready to be heated up for breakfast. Yum! Hubby is laughing at me for staying up for the update; he says that the total won't change no matter what the update says!

Posted by: KelsiN | December 18, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Started snowing STEADILY in Springfield/Kingstowne area around 9 p.m. -- Mrs. VAStateOfMind and I were out finishing the last of the Christmas shopping for Sons #1 & #2, and found the driving going from dicey to downright ICY. Now, we're native Pennsylvanians and used to driving in this, especially the critical first inch or two that seems slippery-est, but I think the travel is going to become downright impossible tomorrow. Think I'm going to follow jchalla's lead and enjoy myself a scotch while watching the flakes fly outside the front window in front of the Christmas lights hung there. Life is indeed good (that is, until I need to shovel all this tomorrow...)

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | December 18, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Just measured in front of my house in Charlottesville: 9" on pavement, 12" on grassy areas. Look out DC area!

Posted by: shmoozer | December 18, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

We are just having the usual soup and grilled sandwiches, with a bunch of snacks.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Butternut squash risotto with shrimp for saturday, greek style lamb and root veggies for sunday. Oh, and the snow is 1.5 inches in New Balmer ... it's been snowing since about 8 p.m. Roads are snowy but not horrible yet. But we're ready to batten down the hatches ........

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 18, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

when did it start in charlotsville

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 18, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll vouch for SkywalkerSS; (s)he was right about the timing of the snow in Silver Spring. I first spotted and felt it at 8:57p near 410 and Colesville. At night, you really have to be outside to time the first flakes. You feel it before you see it. But it's pretty steady now.

My vacation just started so I hope my power doesn't go out. There are a lot of EPL games I want to watch.

Posted by: prokaryote | December 18, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

8 INCHES ON THE GROUND AT 10PM. 27 DEGREES WITH HEAVY SNOW CONTINUING

Posted by: AugustaJim | December 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought it wasn't snowing in Germantown because when I looked out the window I didn't see any flakes. Then I looked at the ground. WHOA. Covered already.

Chocolate in stock and Shopper's down the block.

Posted by: epjd | December 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

@eor11

Potatoes boiled soft, stick of butter, half and half or heavy whipping cream, salt and pepper to taste. Blend in stand mixer until smooth.

Posted by: mensan98th | December 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Snickering,

HT is a nice store. I was at the local Giant at 7:30 this morning before the crowd hit, it was not bad at all. Of course later was a different story.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Snowlover3: flurries started in C'ville at 4 pm (a little earlier than predicted)

Posted by: shmoozer | December 18, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, and have a home-brewed pumpkin ale lined up. Have plenty of comfort food on hand as well as diet coke and desserts. And most of the xmas shopping is done, and I have holiday movies on DVD.

Unfortunately, my husband, who is a midwestern native who moved here in 2004 and has never seen a real snowstorm in DC, is out of town, and is missing this. I have told him stories of 1996 and 2003, and he didn't believe me! I guess he'll believe me now, if he ever gets home.

Posted by: bnh123 | December 18, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is the CWG snowfall map already updated? The 16-24' bull's eye has widened and moved clearly to the west!

Posted by: --sg | December 18, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

This storm is dangerous and will likely be a deadly one.

Please keep that in mind all.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 18, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

", not '. I'm clearly dreaming. ;-)

Posted by: --sg | December 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

flight tomorrow from BWI at 1300 is officially canceled.

Posted by: segatony | December 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

It's been snowing in Centreville VA now for a little over 2 hours. Light to moderate snow; total of less than an inch. Temp at between 27 & 28 degrees. And it's windy. Folks, if you feel the urge to take a walk outside to commune with glorious mother nature please layer up against some serious COLD.

Posted by: cville4 | December 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Ideas to shovel the snow tomorrow: My daughter need to get some civic hours for her class, shoveling the snow looks like a great idea. My son needs money for video games, $5/hr for snow shoveling sounds like a good idea.

Any other ideas?

Posted by: jchalla | December 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

1045, About 3/4 inch at the McLean/Arlington line.

Other random note: stopped at gas station/c-store for something. Said they had run out of gas at about 6:00.

Snowpocolypse, indeed.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 18, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | December 18, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Snickering, I was at the Montrose Crossing Giant at about 7:45 this morning after realizing I was going to run out of dog food if I didn't pick it up on the way to work. They had two full checkouts open. That's why I had (tried to) stock up at HT the night before.

Pork tenderloin tonight, arroz con pollo for tomorrow, white chili on Sunday with some baking in between.

Posted by: Louise9 | December 18, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Mansanth98:
No roasted garlic? No blue ribbon.

Posted by: eor11 | December 18, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Update from Adams Morgan/DC: Light snow falling, cars and grass getting covered but no substantial accumulation, streets and sidewalks still bare. Above freezing but very raw.

Posted by: krosseel | December 18, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Heavy line of precip coming up 95 - looks like it's just over Quantico.

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 18, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The new accumulations map is up (or did I miss it earlier)! the Wash/Balt region is completely covered by the dk blue 16 - 24"...Yea!!!

Posted by: KelsiN | December 18, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

@krosseel

Thanks for the report. Roads are covered in Friendship Heights...probably about 0.5".

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

NEW POST IS UP!

Posted by: KelsiN | December 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Louise9,

That's why I hate Giant. Never enough checkouts open, and half of the ones they have are self-service. It's all about cutting costs for them. HT provides customer service!

Posted by: snickering | December 18, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

omg! 16" is the LOW prediction! holy freakin' moly!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Snow is coming down at a pretty good clip in Laurel--at 198 off exit 33 on I-95. I first noticed about 45 minutes ago. It's already covering sidewalks and parked cars.

Posted by: NeoSamurai | December 18, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

jchalla,

I would suggest dog walking? Also, and this would be gratis, if you have elderly shut-ins nearby...check on them:)

Posted by: SPS1 | December 18, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

very very fine light snow in n. arlington right now. 3/4 inch at most.

Posted by: LouLewis | December 18, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Watching traffic slow to a crawl on the Beltway from my house in Forest Glen.

Posted by: OMGPonies | December 18, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

4" in NW Spotsy. mod-heavy snow, 28.5.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 18, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Bustin' out the JW blue in Arlington, watching the plows go by. Snow is like a heavy mist.

Posted by: why1201 | December 18, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Re: DC Snow Panics, Driving, etc.

I've lived here about 40 years, driven here for about 30 years, so I've seen my share of snows--in fact, the GW B'day storm of 1979 turned a brief visit to my girlfriend's house to meet her parents into a 4 day intensive introduction to the family. We got married about a year later (no shotguns...).

The problem is DC is usually close to the rain/snow line and even when it snows, it's usually got a high liquid water content. I've driven in Buffalo and Chicago snows and traction is not anything like the problem it is here, with a high water content in the snow. We also can go years without much snow, and then get a Nor'easter like the current storm that buries us. We aren't Buffalo, aren't equipped with snow removal like such places, and driver lose their snow mojo. It still amazes me to see people abandon their cars on major roads like you see here.

Making Brunswick stew and buttermilk biscuits tomorrow, with some Sierra Nevada porter on the side.

Posted by: h0db | December 18, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

5.25" NW Spotys., 27.8, mod-heavy snow.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 19, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Adams Morgan/DC update: moderate snow with 1 to 2 inches of accumulation now on non-road surfaces; snow also accumulating on traveled roads. Temperature still just above freezing.

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Could someone help a brother out and explain what 00z NAM means, please?

Posted by: SamFelis | December 19, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse