The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 12/18/2009

Near or over a foot of snow realistic for some spots

By Dan Stillman

* Winter Storm Warning tonight to 6 a.m. Sun. | Live chat at 1 p.m.! *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail forecast to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Tips for traveling in the snow | Snowy Saturday happy hour *
* During storm: Submit photos | Tweet reports to #eastcoaststorm *

Jump to: Accumulation Map & Timeline | Impact Forecasts | Storm FAQ

True, this is just about the time with some D.C. area snowstorms that the computer models suddenly throw a curveball, some forecasters start to backpedal from their original accumulation predictions, and chaos ensues. Not so this time, at least not as of this morning's latest data, which continues to suggest a major winter storm is on track to wallop the metro area.

Something interesting to keep an eye on -- or really, ear out for -- during this storm is thunder. Yes, I said thunder. Thundersnow is rare, but not uncommon when it comes to powerful winter storms like this one, which can generate the strong vertical motions in the atmosphere needed to create lightning. The most likely time for thundersnow would be during the most intense part of the storm, which shapes up to be Saturday morning into afternoon.

ACCUMULATION MAP AND TIMELINE

Accumulation map updated as of 11:45 a.m.

7 PM FRI to 1 AM SAT
Snow develops from south to north. Upper 20s to low 30s.
1 AM to 7 AM SAT
Accumulating snow with increasing winds. Mid-to-upper 20s.
7 AM to 10 PM SAT
Snow continues, moderate to heavy at times, with heavy accumulations possible. Windy. Mid-20s to near 30.
10 PM SAT to 6 AM SUN
Snow tapers from southwest to northeast. 20s.
6 AM to 12 PM SUN
Breezy with a chance of snow showers. Little or no additional accumulation expected. Low-to-mid 30s.

IMPACT FORECASTS

SchoolCast (Mon.)

STORM FAQ

How confident are you in your forecast? Thanks to fairly consistent agreement among the computer models we use to guide our forecasts, confidence in at least about 6 inches of snow is higher than for most storms. Confidence is also increasing that parts of the metro area will see amounts approaching or surpassing a foot.

Have more questions? We might have answers. Click here for more FAQs.

By Dan Stillman  | December 18, 2009; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: You're invited: Saturday happy hour in the snow
Next: Storm may be historic, record-breaking

Comments

How much is this looking like the Storm of February 1983? That one was accompanied by thundersnows as well, but IIRC, it was more cyclogenesis from a Hatteras low.

Posted by: ennepe68 | December 18, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 18, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see this because I was getting a little nervous about seeing rain in a lot of places I thought would be all snow.

Posted by: JW21 | December 18, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Feb 83 is a fairly good match with the pattern and setup, some features slightly different. Louis
Uccellini has apparently mentioned it as an analog event.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Do you anticipate an updated accumulation map as we get closer to the actual event? Sounds like the models continue to want to push the accumulation totals northward. I notice the winter storm warning for this area only seems to deal with accumulations through 6pm tomorrow night, but acknowledges more after that point.

Posted by: MDDem2 | December 18, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Am I insane for thinking about switching my 6am Sunday out of BWI to flying out of PIT early tomorrow AM. Why PIT: BWI, DCA, IAD, and PHL are all completely booked, overbooked, superduper overbooked. I imagine that they'll be even be doubling up in first class.

Posted by: the_local | December 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The schoolcast should reflect 3 apples... My guess is that if we get a foot plus schools are closed most of next week (considering the christmas holiday...)

Posted by: markinva | December 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Time to wax up the saucer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo58oWW09qQ

Posted by: johnnyd2 | December 18, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | December 18, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty confident this will be the largest snowstorm on record for DEC in DC. How much it goes above is my question.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

All the Christmas presents are bought. Cards mailed The Safeway is 100 yards from my apartment. I'm ready.

Since we've no place to go:
Let it snow!
Let it snow!
Let it snow1

Posted by: wiredog | December 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeVA

I think they brought out Zombie Gordon Barnes to draw that map.

*fingers crossed*

Posted by: LouLewis | December 18, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hereandnow1 | December 18, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"The 9NEWS NOW Weather team is expecting perhaps our biggest snow in almost 7 years and maybe one of the top 5 snowstorms in DC history."

Do different news stations generally use the same software to develop their models?
If so, why are each stations' forecasts so wildly different from one another?

Posted by: andrew23 | December 18, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@hereandnow1

We had 6" on March 1, 2009... It melted away fast though.

@the_local

Pittsburgh would probably be the best bet of the airports you mention. Airports will be rough along I-95.

@MDDem2

We just posted new accumulation map. Upped amounts a little.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

looks like Topper is being bold, good for him.

Posted by: markinva | December 18, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ wiredog. Did you think that the people who have to work in that Safeway probably don't live 100 yards away? Page and Shenandoah county schools just announced they are closing early TODAY. So buckle in, this ain't gonna be pretty (after the first 24 hours anyway).

Posted by: ValleyCaps | December 18, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Really Jonesing for the next forecast discussion. I suspect there's still some debate what to say and how to say it...

"Zombie Gordon Barnes" is freaking hilarious!

Posted by: curtmccormick | December 18, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@ValleyCaps.
Some do. Many have 4wd. Heck, I worked at the McLean Safeway, which was walking distance from home, when I was in high school many years ago.

It gonna be gorgeous. I'm going to be out with my camera tomorrow.

Posted by: wiredog | December 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Storm center has a bit of an "eye" going just south of the FL panhandle.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What are the possibilities of a power outage? If one does occur, how long would it take to restore power? This is my first snowstorm. I'm used to hurricanes, being from New Orleans.

Posted by: suitelady_508 | December 18, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@suitelady_508

There may be a few power outages, but shouldn't be widespread. We'll have some gusty winds, and heavy snow may stress some power lines, but this is nothing like a hurricane.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Question: what are the chances of buses running from downtown to NYC tomorrow afternoon?

Posted by: skaterman2297 | December 18, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

snow!!!

Posted by: madisondc | December 18, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@ValleyCaps- Most places that need to be staffed like grocery stores, medical clinics and vets have a roster of emergency personnel. People who either live walking distance or have 4WD. Those who don't have rosters have very large vehicles to go out and get people. Rarely will grocery stores be completely closed. They may only have 3 or 4 people working total but they will be open.

I used to work for a Vet and the owner had a Hummer. He'd come and get us, even though the clinic itself was only open for dire emergencies, to make sure the pets in boarding were taken care of.
One time we lost power for so long that those of us who had power were all taking pets to our houses and setting up in rooms with blankets galore to keep the pets warm and calm.

My current office has a bare bones roster in case of emergency of one person per department that can always come in. And we're a government agency.

Posted by: kallieh | December 18, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The updated winter storm warning for the area calls for 10-20 inches of snow!

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 18, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"When was the last time we actually had anything more than a few inches of snow? Three years ago? Last year we had one or two days of three inches or snow, no snow the year before...so 06?"

I live just south of the Beltway in Alexandria Fairfax. Since April 06, when I moved here, I don't think there has been enough snow to cover the ground more than once. Not even last March di this happen; I ran a half marathon in Annapolis and drove back before the .75 inches started falling.

I hope this storm actually hits so I can cross country ski at Hains Point or even the Towpath on Sunday.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | December 18, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"So can we officially say that attempting to drive from DC to Richmond tomorrow afternoon would be a suicide mission?"

I won't call it that but I wouldn't make that drive. Even Amtrak may be pushing it. That drive, quite frankly, is a nightmare even on a clear, dry, 75 degree day.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | December 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi Jeff from Huntington! You're in my neck of the woods and must have witnessed or pathetic showing on Dec. 5. Our area always trends warmer temps for some reason thus our getting rain vs. snow. Hoping this storm stays could enough and wet enough over us to give us a decent showing.

Posted by: kallieh | December 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow lots of typos- sorry about that. *wishes for edit button*

Posted by: kallieh | December 18, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

When we had lots of snow the Presidents Day storm in 2003 Fairfax County school were closed for the entire week....I agree no school next week if we get this much.

Posted by: photojenn | December 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Gearing up for immediate web-reports of the weather doom starting as the first flake falls... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nttjw6dtybk

Rainman Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 18, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Watched the temperature in Abingdon, Va drop from 39.5 to 37.9 in about 10 minutes.

Posted by: JW21 | December 18, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm very interested in the timing of all this as I have a 6 am flight scheduled out of IAD tomorrow (I've called about 5 times to book today but everything is already full). Anways, anyone want to hazard a guess as to how much snow we'll have by 6 am? Dulles should be able to handle a few inches, right?

Posted by: mtropp | December 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

J from H - you can say that again! And skaterman, I'd take the train if I needed to get to NY tomorrow...

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Leave it to Delta to remain the ONLY major US carrier who hasn't issue a travel advisory yet, thus making and travel changes you make susceptible to fees.

Posted by: the_local | December 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Jason Samenow wrote, "We don't headline low probability, low confidence events here."

Posted by: Mr_Q | December 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Please! I hope and pray that the snow holds off long enough for this good-for-nothing Congress to simply get the hell out of town!

Please grant me this one wish Lord!

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | December 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Metrorail (above ground) between Vienna and Ballston will suffer delays and/or shutdown tomorrow afternoon?

Posted by: grendel126 | December 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Will driving from New York to DC on sunday be out of the question? Will Amtrak be able to get me from New York to DC on Sunday? Will metro be able to get me down to silver spring from union station? or am I stuck in New York till after the weekend?

Posted by: emb123 | December 18, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Luckily we've had enough wet snow and wind earlier this month to bring down some of the weak trees (or maybe it just weakened them more??). This snow will be dry and won't stick to stuff.

Posted by: eric654 | December 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Here we go! The tree rats are going crazy today, running around and getting in their play time before holing up for a day or so.

I sure hope the upward trends in the amounts stay true.

FWIW, I think here in the City of Manassas, we'll get 12-15".

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

grendel126,

I think the above ground metro closes with 8 inches or more on the ground

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

kallieh, Hi back! I remember Dec 5. Another half marathon for me. Snow was sticking in Carderock, probably 1-2 inches by the time the race ended. I get back to Old Town just after noon, slush and rain. Zippo else. Cameron Run's not that big enough of a body of water to warm things that much, heck not even the Potomac is. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for this one.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | December 18, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of interesting weather, as long as nobody gets hurt. But this one has the potential to be a real concern, more for the folks on the east side of the Blue Ridge. I'll be happy if it'll stay around 8-10 here in the Valley. But have you guys been around DC for a snow this size? Not to mention the cold weather coming in behind it just before Christmas and all of the potentially ruined holiday plans? Come back here on Tuesday and say this was a pleasant experience...

Posted by: ValleyCaps | December 18, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Valleycaps,

I've been here for most of the large storms over the last 38 years. This is shaping up to be another 96-97 winter. I think we'll all be fine, and the fact it is hitting on the weekend is a bonus, no rush hours to contend with.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The blizzard of 96 hit on a Saturday as well didn't it?

Posted by: JW21 | December 18, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'll admit to loving snow to look at and while it's falling but the after effects from a storm like this are and will be awful.

Partially cleared side and back roads will lead to days of slalom driving until it melts (which may not for several days). Walking in parking lots, on sidewalks, etc. will be treacherous for days. The parking in my apartment complex which is at a premium in good times will be horrific (leading to lots of walking on those dangerous sidewalks). I'd be happier if it were going to warm up right after the storm but days of cold are going to make this storm a headache well past Monday.

Posted by: ana_b | December 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow....Out here in Crofton, I am very close to being in the 10-18"+ swath!

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The totals seem to keep going up for the DC area. It seems that 18 inches is within the realm of possibility now.

Posted by: ModerateVoter | December 18, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

rainman greg,
are you "down with" this one? we getting all snow? or are you gonna do your pessimist (realist) thing and say "changing to rain" or "dryslotting" or something?

can we call you "snowman greg" for a few days?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

'96 storm was Saturday night thru Monday am; 2003 was Saturday-Monday, March '93 was Saturday; Feb 1983 storm was a friday; and Feb '79 was Sunday-Monday. Go figure.
-rob

Posted by: DOG3521 | December 18, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I noticed the map just went up from 7-14 to 8-16 in. .....awesome!!

Posted by: rockotodd | December 18, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

This is INCREDIBLE. Check out this forecast for the ski areas in the mid-atlantic and southern Apps.

Posted by: johnnyd2 | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

All the teachers in the area are checking your site- Please update the school cast!!! Snow Day! Snow Day! Snow Day!

Posted by: artteach | December 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Note the (hurricane) eye-like structure in the low over the Gulf!!! Wow.

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Note the (hurricane) eye-like structure in the low over the Gulf!!! Wow http://bit.ly/4NY24H

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@CWG - I have a 45 mile commute from Tyson's Cornter to Crofton, MD, when do you expect the flakes to start flying? I want to get off the beltway before traffic gets crazy....well more crazy than it usually is!

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If what is forecast actually happens, I'd say based on nearly four decades of DC weather experience that anyone trying to leave town had better be gone by midnight tonight.

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

NWS now saying Charlottesville to get 1 - 2 feet. They don't even bother with inches. I'm positively giddy.

We live at the bottom of a hill and have already stocked up on milk, bread & TP. Looking forward to making pancakes tomorrow a.m., watching the snow, shoveling the driveway 4 or 5 times, and having snowball fights with the kids. Just thinking about it is exciting....

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 18, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

CWG... Earlier today you had a chart showing a 10% chance for 21"+.

Are some of the crazier snowfall totals completely off the table now? Or still just pretty unlikely?

Posted by: WDCRob | December 18, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a little dry slot set in W. Carolina - mostly east of the mountains.

Not good for total snow fall potential. I hope it doesn't persist as it moves north

Posted by: johnnyd2 | December 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

WDCRob, not off the table at all; just unlikely to be widespread. But I personally think there will be isolated spots that may see up to 2 feet.

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Josh: That image sure is pretty.... pretty scary !! :-)

Just got home. Grocery stores are starting to get crazy (Lots of TP and bread on the checkouts). Folks are driving poorly. Plows seem to be fitted on most of the big trucks barreling down back roads.

I sure did smell the snow in the air, though. (Probably all in my head, but I'll take it)

Posted by: dprats21 | December 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

cvilleman..

it's a bummer this isn't hitting while school's in session. it'd be interesting to see if uva actually canceled classes if this were to hit then. they never do.

Posted by: danuva | December 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, hinting at "weekend storms" tend to be the most significant for DC is correct. But I do certainly hope people are taking this storm very seriously. For once some of the DC precautionary mania is warranted!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@markinva

Re: SchoolCast ... played it a little conservative on SchoolCast since the storm should be effectively over by Sunday morning. Just in case some jurisdiction out there really has their act together and does an incredible clean-up job on Sunday, then ya never know, and didn't want kids to think it's a 100% guarantee for no school Monday. In reality, if the higher snow totals come to fruition, then it's unlikely any school system in the metro area will be open on Monday.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

A quick break from my hiatus from the comments to pass along some info to CWG staff if they're interested.

My brother works for UPS in Louisville in their air ops management. UPS has their own meteorological team. Anyway, their prediction for Dulles is:

Snow beginning around 11pm, continuing thru 1am Sunday. Total accumulations, 9-13 inches.

Just passing along what he told me a few minutes ago.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@danuva

I believe they did shut down one day when I was there. 85, 86, 87? It's all kind of a blur, but I do remember all the talk about how it almost never happened.

Nothing prettier than The Lawn with snow.

Posted by: LouLewis | December 18, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice cirrostratus halo this morning. This storm is shaping up to be a big one.

Eastern U.S. weather board is closed to guest access.

Gottaswing may be updating their dance information later today.

Big question here is whether we get the thundersnow.

One negative: TV mets are predicting 40 to 45 degrees and a MUCH-UNNEEDED cold, raw rain for Christmas Eve. The last thing I need for Christmas is a bunch of raw, cruddy rain eating away at my White Christmas!

The last December I can remember like this is 1968, with two huge snowstorms just before Christmas ... IN EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN! There was thundersnow in at least the first of those storms. At the height of the storm the snow fell as pellets, rather than flakes...GRAUPEL...!!! While shoveling our corner-lot sidewalks, I noticed that the deep snow reflected light of a slightly bluish hue...and was reminded of Paul Bunyan, always a great folk hero in the North Woods of Wisconsin and Minnesota...and the Winter of the Blue Snow.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | December 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

walter_in_falls church: You can officially call me "Snowman Greg" for this storm. What I am worried about is the dreaded dry slot so if that happens you may need to call me "Dry Slot Greg!"

Love the eye in this storm! Crazy!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 18, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Any guesses from the experts on how intense this snow will be overnight into tomorrow morning? How many inches will be on the ground tomorrow morning when we wake up?

Posted by: maxhat4 | December 18, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Tonights IAD to GIG flight cancelled. Departure was for 10pm. It was incoming from SFO (1pm depart, 9pm arrival) and that has been cancelled too. I thought I was in the clear!

Posted by: gr1231 | December 18, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

How come the comments are refreshing?

Posted by: snowlover | December 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

CWG--

Great coverage thus far. Thank you. Just wondering what type of traffic your blog is getting. You cannot access accuweather.com; I'm guessing because of site traffic.

Posted by: ArlingtonWeather | December 18, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Moved here from Cleveland, Ohio in 2008. This is what we would call "normal" up there ;)

Posted by: btd_ | December 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I remember the snow coming down like sugar rather than like flakes during the heart of the 2003 storm...I believe temps were in the low 20s during most of that event - we should be seeing huge flakes out of this one with the higher water content - literally snowballs falling from the sky.

Posted by: DullesARC | December 18, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

University of Maryland (inc. commencement and final exams) is already canceled tomorrow.

Posted by: edwardappleby | December 18, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Fredericksburg and we already have about an INCH of snow on the street. From my office window I can barely see across the street, its coming down slanted now. I think I'm going to leave early before I can't make it out.

Posted by: RMahoney01 | December 18, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This must be that 'global warming' that Obama is spouting hot air about.

Obama, shut up.

Posted by: tarded2much | December 18, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@RMahoney01 - are you in Fredericksburg, VA? And have an inch of snow? Are you for real? Nothing on radar down there but virga and no surface stations reporting anything yet.

Posted by: johnnyd2 | December 18, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

it's not snowing in fredericksburg

Posted by: danuva | December 18, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

tarded2much -

HA HA! That's an original comment. I don't think anyone has ever thought of that before. Global warming can't be happening because it's snowing!! That is some brilliant insight right there...

Posted by: mcj59 | December 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

tarded2much: Completely uncalled for and unrelated to anything in this thread. Save the global warming/political talk for the appropriate posts. Thanks.

Anyway...friends/family are saying that stores are completely wiped. My aunt in New Jersey said there was nobody at the store when she went this morning (not even for the 'snow staples,' but to get things to make cookies), and when she left, the parking lot was packed and there were people literally running to the entrance to get what was left of the snow staples (bread, milk, eggs, other stuff that'll go bad if one's power goes out).

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | December 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@RMahoney01 - harhar de har. Just checked web cameras down there. No snow.

Reporting false weather reports on CW is a federal offense, ya know.

Posted by: johnnyd2 | December 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

It is snowing in blacksburg though...

Posted by: markinva | December 18, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

So how likely is it that the power will go out in upper MoCo? Cause that would really bite . . .

Posted by: Post43 | December 18, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Post 43: You know it doesn't take more than a stiff breeze (Or a really big squirrel) up here, and voila, no power... ;-)
Really, I think, and I am no expert, that the most likely reason for losing power in this storm will be due to an auto accident taking out a utility pole.

I am so with you on this concern, though. Love snow, hate power outages.

Posted by: dprats21 | December 18, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Is the storm moving too fast? Will we see less now?

Posted by: Ginnie_Cricket | December 18, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeVA---in these temps, losing power in the refrigerator is not a problem! Just put stuff on the back porch :)

Posted by: lilymama | December 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@lilymama

But how will I bake cookies?? Oh, and keep warm??

Posted by: Post43 | December 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, look at the Roanoke and Blacksburg traffic cams... it's getting closer!!!

Go to Richmond, VA and pan over on the map. you can walk up I-81 and see where the snow line is...pretty cool!

Posted by: dprats21 | December 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Does Metro shut down just during snowfall? Will they be back up Sunday and Monday? How will this storm affect the Redskins game Monday night in terms of travel?

Posted by: ianswank | December 18, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

nothing here in Vienna yet.

Posted by: KRob33 | December 18, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse