The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 12/22/2009

PM Update: Chilly today, chillier tomorrow

By Ian Livingston

Cold and dry through Thursday; Stormy Christmas?

* Evolution of a monster snowstorm | How did the storm happen? *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *

Variable clouds and a west wind helped lead to another chilly day across the area, but not terribly cold considering snowpack. Highs that have risen mainly into the upper 30s and lower 40s are allowing for more melting and we'll be seeing another refreeze again tonight. Air that is a bit chillier and drier will filter in tonight and stick around through Thursday before the Christmas storm begins to make itself known.

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through Tonight: Clouds should continue to clear as the night progresses while high pressure builds in. Temperatures should respond to drier air arriving by dropping a bit more than recent. Look for readings bottoming out between the mid-teens and the lower 20s.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Lots of sunshine is on tap for Wednesday, but it's going to be a cold one regardless. Temperatures probably have difficulty rising above freezing in some spots as highs rise to the low-and-mid 30s. Winds will be light from the north and northwest.

See Matt Rogers' full forecast for information on the Christmas storm. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Science Lessons from the Blizzard of '09: Former USA Today weather page editor Jack Williams blogs about how the Snowpocalypse presents a great case study for learning more about storms and weather. Jack features material from the Capital Weather Gang among a number of other resources that provide useful educational material.

By Ian Livingston  | December 22, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The evolution of a monster D.C. area snowstorm
Next: Forecast: Calm and cold before Christmas storm

Comments

News just reported that last weekend's storm cost East Coast retailers $2 billion, that's "billion" with a "b".

Incredibly destructive and costly, just as I posted it would be before and during the storm.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 22, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Notice that the snow bunnies have gone back into hiding. Had there been a hint of snow there would have been a hundred posts by now.

32.5 in Montgomery. I have lost almost half of my snow pack.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 22, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, I may be starting to come around to ThinkSpring's way of thinking... I think I've had enough snow for awhile.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 22, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@ThinkSpring I think you are confusing sales not made with money that someone lost. If a snowstorm keeps me and everyone else from buying crap at the mall, that's hardly "destructive and costly."

Posted by: dmarshall3 | December 22, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I won't be sad if we don't get any fresh snow for a couple of weeks. I am enjoying it while it is here.

Posted by: Murre | December 22, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

My two cents worth: I think most of the snow will be melted by the end of the weekend or early next week. Mid 40s and rain on Saturday? That should help.

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | December 22, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Three days on, I'm still looking at the MOUNTAINS of snow in our cul-de-sac and in various places in our backyard (thanks to fort-building pre-teens) and I am in AWE that we received this much snow. This storm made up for my curmudgeonly criticism of Washington winters in recent years, and THEN some. I, for one, will not be looking forward to shoveling more than a couple inches at a time in the next couple of months (and winters)!

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | December 22, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

boy, by the time i get my sculptures made, all the snow fans are gone... anyway, check it out:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 22, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

There's a few of us still hanging around. Nice work! Your neighbors must get excited just to see what you're going to do.

Posted by: spgass1 | December 22, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

@ walter-in-fallschurch-

We're here!!! Just not commenting. WONDERFUL snow sculpture- love the subject! Thanks for sharing! I always look forward to seeing your work!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | December 22, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Gorgeous work, walter-in-fallschurch!

Posted by: --sg | December 22, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The snow elves totally rock.

Posted by: manassasmissy | December 22, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

thanks guys! there's a chance i might make more out of this snow - if it doesn't get all washed away in the rain - i still have a ton left...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 22, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Walter, that's a marvelous work of art.

Posted by: Murre | December 22, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Fabulous Walter, thanks for posting those elves!

Posted by: ubimea | December 22, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

walter-in-fallschurch -- thanks for sharing your pics, you sir are an artist!

Posted by: natsncats | December 22, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@ThinkSpring

I'm sorry... What was destroyed?

Your whining is pitiful.

Posted by: mason08 | December 22, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring -

What, precisely, is your point. You hate snow, you've been abundantly clear about that. I and many others love it. Your constant negagtivity isn't going to change that. Why do you care what others like weather wise? We snow lovers don't control the weather you know. Even if you succeeded in convincing us to hate snow it would still happen.

I don't get this attitude I get from non-snow people. Its like they get pissed I am enjoying it - as if its my fault it snowed or something. Very strange indeed. Sorry if I choose to enjoy the beauty of mother nature rather than think the sky is falling because my routine is disrupted (God forbid!)

Posted by: jahutch | December 22, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

@walter

Awesome sculpture. Do you mind if we download one of the pics and work it into a blog post?

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 23, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

@walter: You rock!

Posted by: ChickenLady | December 23, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

CWG,
i would love it if you did. i wouldn't mind if you gave the link to the others either. thanks!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 23, 2009 5:31 AM | Report abuse

@Walter
Fantastic!! Just fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: dprats21 | December 23, 2009 6:07 AM | Report abuse