The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:30 AM ET, 12/19/2009

Powerful, historic snowstorm pasting metro region

By Jason Samenow

Crippling accumulations of 16-24"+ likely

* Winter Storm Warning | Blizzard Warning east of I-95 (map) *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail forecast to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Travel tips | Snow day happy hour | Live chat transcript *
* Submit snow photos | Tweet storm reports to #eastcoaststorm *
* Share your snow videos | NWS snowfall reports *
* The latest storm news, traffic, and cancellation info *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

4Snow lovers revel in storm, but dangerous driving conditions.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Heavy snow and wind. 25-30. | Tonight: Snow tapers off, windy. 20-25. | Tomorrow: Morning flurries, breezy, and cold. 30-35. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

STORM OVERVIEW

20091219_5202t.jpg
Snow covering Glover Park at 2 a.m. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston. Click to enlarge.

Snow and winds have increased overnight blanketing the metro region with 4-8" of snow. Before long, we will be buried by several times that amount making this a record breaking December storm. Double digit accumulations have already been reported to our south in central Virginia. This is a dangerous, severe storm with the worst still to come.

meso-snow.gif
Graphic by NOAA's Storm Prediction Center.

Snowfall rates will average around 1" per hour today, with higher rates at times and the possibility of thundersnow.

NOAA's Storm Prediction Center issued a Special Statement, highlighting the likelihood of very heavy snowfall rates:

BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW WITH RATES OF 1-2 IN/HR WILL PERSIST MAINLY FROM EASTERN WV ACROSS NORTHERN VA AND MD ... DE ... SOUTHEASTERN PA AND SOUTHERN NJ. THE LONGEST DURATION OF HEAVY SNOW RATES IS LIKELY TO BE OVER ERN WV...NRN VA...AND MUCH OF MD.

Winds will increase to near 20 mph with higher gusts, causing some blowing snow and the possibility of blizzard conditions, especially east of the District where winds may reach or exceed 30 mph. The snow will likely not start tapering off until after 7 p.m. tonight and may not completely end until early Sunday morning. Do not travel unless absolutely necessary.

IMPACT FORECASTS

SchoolCast (Mon.)

By Jason Samenow  | December 19, 2009; 7:30 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The snow is here: Some could see two feet of it!
Next: Alert: Blizzard Warning for immediate metro area

Comments

I just took our dog outside, and although I did not measure, I'd estimate there's almost a foot of snow out there. The wind is creating bigger drifts as well.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | December 19, 2009 5:34 AM | Report abuse

@CWG am I correctly reading the latest GFS and NAM, where they are showing an additional 20, and 25 inches possible?

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Very windy and I would estimate at least 8 inches already here in Mount Vernon. It's mind-boggling to think this is going to continue through tonight.

Posted by: dixiechick1 | December 19, 2009 5:46 AM | Report abuse

i went outside to look at the snow, by the time i came back in the wind and snow had covered up my footprints

Posted by: fashionputitallonme | December 19, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

At 5:45 am in Adams-Morgan DC I just measured 4" of powdery snow on our concrete parking area. Light snow is falling steadily. The temperature is 28F.

Posted by: jkegg | December 19, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm currently at work in Kearneysville, WV. We have 6-8" on the ground. It is 0556 Saturday morning.

Posted by: pymts | December 19, 2009 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Just to a long walk (video to come) here in the 'burg. I measured 7 inches of snow and rates of close to 1" per hour with winds of 15-20 mph. The 'burg plows are doing a pretty good job keeping up thus far.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 19, 2009 5:56 AM | Report abuse

8.5" to 9" in the front yard here in Centreville.

Posted by: saltydog75 | December 19, 2009 5:59 AM | Report abuse

Do we think Metro will be running above ground at all this morning?

Posted by: snowy12 | December 19, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

@snowlover

Yes...that's what the models are indicating -- although at this point-- probably a little less than that if you subtract out the 6z-12z period, which is about over.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

4.5 inches near the Silver Spring/Takoma Park border at 6 am. There is probably more; I leaned over the sidewalk from the front steps with a yardstick rather than really suit up and walk around. I didn't want to spoil the photography too much. The falling of the small flakes continues.

Posted by: Murre | December 19, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

looks to be 5-6 inches in shirlington village. still drinking my coffee and staring out the window. i will muster up the courage and go out to measure shortly. very windy outside.

Posted by: shirlingtonvillage | December 19, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Feeling kind of of silly, CWG, for blasting AccuWeather for sounding the snow alarm early this week?

Posted by: McPanse | December 19, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Transplanted Md'er checking in from just across the state line in Hanover, PA here. Still rely on CWG for the most reliable snow info. A couple inches on the ground right now where I am.

I know I'm a little outside your focus area, but is 16-24+ still consistent for where I am, which is what your latest map shows?

Posted by: FeartheNoodle | December 19, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

can we PLEASE just love/hate the snow today and not bring up Accuweather just once. sorry but its nonstop and the snow is here. ENJOY!!

Posted by: shirlingtonvillage | December 19, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard like conditions here in Fluvanna County (just to the east of Charlottesville, VA). We've got 14" so far with drifts above 2 feet at 6am on Saturday. Strong, gusty winds here too.

Posted by: palmyra | December 19, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

@McPanse

This has been discussed quite a bit in comments from previous posts... AccuWeather got it right, but in my mind, it was on the early side to sound the alarm. Even one of their own meteorologists was backpeddling on Tues/Wed before it became clear this was the real deal. We were mentioning the potential for snow on Monday too -- but weren't headlining it.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 6:22 AM | Report abuse

CWG, you might want to just re-post that answer every 15 minutes to avoid being asked again. I appreciate your patience.

Oh yeah, it's still snowing outside.

Posted by: shirlingtonvillage | December 19, 2009 6:25 AM | Report abuse

@FeartheNoodle

Yes--I'd still put you all in that category, but probably towards the lower end.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

4.5 inches here in Laytonsville (Mont.Co.) at 6:15am. Road crews have already been working out here, which is unusual this early in a storm.

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Here in Chaptico, Maryland (St. Marys County) we have 9", with a lot of drifting. One of the men is going to start plowing out to the county road, and we'll be at it all day to stay ahead of the accumulation. Thank heavens for mulled cider!!

Posted by: Nana7 | December 19, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I just took my dog out and there are about 4-6 in Old Town, but I swear it seemed as if the snow had stopped for a little bit. Roads have been plowed but not great.

Here's hoping the sidewalks get plowed sooner rather than later.

Posted by: hereandnow1 | December 19, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

it feels good to finally get more snow than all the cities (philly, new york, boston)

Posted by: samdman95 | December 19, 2009 6:38 AM | Report abuse

About 6" in Van Ness when I took the dog out a half hour ago. Snow coming down pretty fast, nice small flakes. Called my parents in Ohio and they're jealous, for now...Will walk out to Conn. Ave to see what's going on in a little bit.

Posted by: peej_08 | December 19, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

CWG - When can we expect the the heaviest snow, how long will it last, and what will the snow rates be (i.e. 1" per hour, etc.) Thx! Having a blast with this storm!!

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Ben, the Flamingo's going to come in at $6 million.

Posted by: blasmaic | December 19, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Just woke up to find 7.5" in Columbia. .38" liquid. A 20:1 ratio will really help amplify the totals.

Posted by: MaltyCharacter | December 19, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

6" in Falls Church.

Posted by: robperez1 | December 19, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

@snowlover

Just added some text to this post with the information you're asking about. Refresh your page.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Mitchrapp just measured - we have between 9-11" in Herndon (Worldgate). The snow is really fine.

Posted by: kygurl94 | December 19, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Somebody please talk me off the ledge. It is NOT snowing here in Adams Morgan right now and TWC seems to be saying it wont snow until noon with rain and sleet possible before noon. Was this in any of the models???? Can we possibly reach the higher predictions if it stops snowing and rain/sleets until noon???? Say it's not so - please!!!

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I swear to something, if I get snookered in yet again by a potential DC snow event only to have my heart broken ... grrrrrrr.

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: blasmaic | December 19, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

@Murphy39 - I'm only about a mile away and we're getting the hard, small, snow coming down fast. Check again, it may have picked up...

Posted by: peej_08 | December 19, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Is someone able to confirm or deny that it is not going to snow at all for the next 5 hours, and that instead it is going to rain or sleet until noon? The "future" radar on TWC seems pretty unequivocal.

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

@murphy39

It's snowing moderately in NW DC near Friendship Heights. I find it hard to believe (based on radar and other observations) it is not snowing at least lightly in Adams Morgan. There is not going to be rain...a few pockets of sleet are possible mainly east of I-95.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Just under 8" in FFX City/GMU on my back deck. It's still coming down consistently. Secondary roads are being plowed, but the tertiary roads are fairly impassable.

Posted by: figgy_va | December 19, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Mike Siedel (Weather Channel) said that his camera truck guy drove from NoVa (Dulles-area) to Tenleytown at 2am. Normally a 45 min drive, it took him around 3 hours!!

Posted by: kygurl94 | December 19, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason! Look, I want to remain positive, but I kinda had visions of waking up to a massive snowstorm, not a flurry or two rolling past my window every couple of minutes. And what the devil is all this dreaded pink TWC is showing for DC over the next few hours??? i want blue, nothing but dark blue.

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

It has let up considerably outside here near National Harbor. The radar shows quite a few gaps to the south and the end of precipitation in NC. Some mixing in southern MD. Earlier I checked and there were some impressive barometric measurments off the coast of NC of 991 mb.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 19, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Is the storm going to stall over us?

Posted by: samdman95 | December 19, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

It is indeed snowly lightly and steadily in Adams Morgan/DC.....

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Special Correspondent Greg here for CWG. Here is raw video of the SuperStorm of 2009 from Leesburg, Virginia taken between 4:30am-5:30am this morning when we had between 6-7" of snow on the ground.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 19, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Man, this SUCKS. I think this should cover all snow wishes for the remainder of winter. Can we move ahead with spring now?

Posted by: rumbly45 | December 19, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

From eyeballing the railing of the balcony right outside my window, it looks like we've got at least eight inches here in Lake Ridge. Fat flakes continue to fall steadily.

Homemade cookies and hot cocoa for everyone!

Posted by: meta2 | December 19, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

7:20AM, 12/19/09, It's still coming down at a good rate here in the City of Manassas. I've got a reading from 6" to 8" on the porch. Once I venture further out into the yard, I'll take another reading. It's very windy.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

About 4 inches on the ground here in Baltimore!

Posted by: bachaney | December 19, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

This is one of the only snowstorms I've experienced that has its own sound, kind of like a hurricane or something. Stayed up till 2:00 am and then couldn't get to sleep because the house was taking a battering from the wind. I don't think "historic" is too dramatic at all...

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 19, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

"Crippling accumulations?" Come on. I have a neighbor who is crippled -- you should come over and see what that word really means.

You guys are worse than Joe Bastardi. A hurricane poses a "double-barreled threat."

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | December 19, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Does the chance remain for thundersnow?

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

10 inches in Souther Loudoun in the bootheel. On our way to 20.

Posted by: DullesARC | December 19, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

So is the idea that it wont snow much until noon, but then it will snow so much after noon that we get up into the high teens/low 20s for accum totals? Or are those historic totals being dialed back??

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

7" on the deck and deck railing as of 6:50 in Vienna (22182).

Posted by: jlh7739 | December 19, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

lotta snow here in bethesda but the flakes are very small

Posted by: samdman95 | December 19, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Greg, for your latest video.

Posted by: Murre | December 19, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Breezy and light/moderate snow with fat flakes here in Tantallon/Ft Washington with 7" on the tailgate of the pickup.

Posted by: ftwash | December 19, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Tony Perkins just said that while the radar appears to show clearing at the VA/NC border, it will be filled in as the low continues to develope.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

@murphy39

We are not dialing back anything accumulation-wise. It is snowing everywhere and will continue all day.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

"Or are those historic totals being dialed back??"

They haven't dialed the totals back yet, but I am betting they will.

The storm looks to me like it is winding up fairly rapidly and the consistent, moderate to heavy snow shield is in the process of moving past DC Metro.

Relying on snow bands we may or may not see for some huge amount of accumulation sometime later today just sounds like the "second part" of DC storms that rarely materialize.

I'd bet the bulk of serious accumulation has past and the area will wind up with just a few more inches than we have now. Still going to be an 6-12 snowstorm which is pretty big, but I seriously doubt "historic" will apply here.

Posted by: bkkwarlock | December 19, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Approx 10 inches on my deck in Lake Ridge.. Keep it coming!!

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 19, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

9"-10" in Herndon. Right now it's only flurries. I'm starting to worry a little. Hope it's just a dry pocket, still bothers the hel* out of me when I see the forecaster from the weather channel down in Roanoke with flakes bigger than oprah's hair raining down hellfire and flurries here?!

Posted by: MITCHRAPP | December 19, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Five inches in northeast Baltimore so far.

Posted by: Michael323 | December 19, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

8.5 inches so far here in Bethesda! i have 2 questions! What are the chances that there is no school Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday? and what storm would you say this is comparable to because ive heard alot of references to the blizzard of '96? Thanks!

Posted by: samdman95 | December 19, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

*this should be epic!*

Posted by: samdman95 | December 19, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

What do people think about power outgage likelihood? I'm hopeful that we can avoid this due to lack of sleet / ice. Any info / opinions on this?

Posted by: kjm1971 | December 19, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Husband outside shoveling (Chevy Chase DC) and he measured nearly 9 inches. Still coming down!

Posted by: Smparry | December 19, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Just went across the street to my workplace to put up closed signs, and I'm glad that I went early! Just in the half-hour I was there, the snow stated coming down heavier with bigger flakes.

We've got just about five inches on the ground in downtown Frederick.

Posted by: dettiot | December 19, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Suffice to say, I'm with you warlock.

Posted by: murphy39 | December 19, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Lake Ridge - with an expanding band of heavy snow encompasing again most of Prince William moving north..

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=zoom&num=6&delay=15&scale=0.125&noclutter=0&ID=LWX&type=N0R&lat=38.85194397&lon=-77.03749847&label=Ronald Reagan Washington National, DC&showstorms=0&map.x=413&map.y=255.5¢erx=302¢ery=14&lightning=0&smooth0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 19, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Just for the record here in Arlington, I measured (and shoveled) 8" at about 6 and now just measured slightly more than 9".

Posted by: Losercuda | December 19, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

The past few radar frames show an incredible intensification of the storm. Here comes the good stuff!!! Ohh my!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 19, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Snowing moderately heavy near National Harbor.
Hatteras NC barometric pressure 989.5 mb. Low is really strengthening and I hope it will continue to pump heavy snow into the area. Woo hoo!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 19, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Chances are pretty good that Xmas break will begin early for the kids area wide. I imagine the schools will begin cancelling by early afternoon on Sunday. There will be no way the schools will be prepared to open for Monday. The custodians were told yesterday they would get double time for Sunday to shovel and salt, but with 20 inches, they won't get it all done. Time will tell though.

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | December 19, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Laytonsville, MD- 6 inches as of 8am. Thermometer is at 23F. About 1.5 inches in the last 2 hours.

Here's to the road crews, they are working their tails off. Even so, it's all slush right now. Word to the wise, slush = very slow driving as it is really easy to lose control in slush. Snow pack driving is actually easier as you know the surface you are on. With slush, you never know when you are going to hit an especially deep puddle of slush and that can be just enough to spin you out...not that I ever learned this lesson the hard way ;-). Turtle day, slow and steady wins the race!

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

@warlock and murphy

Let me put it this way, I am quite confident you both are wrong. The low is still southeast of Hatteras, moving slowly, and intensifying. There is very heavy snow due south of us.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Enjoying some coffee and mimosas here in Vienna...7 inches and falling hard.

Posted by: KRob33 | December 19, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

7 to 7.25 inches in Shirlington as of 8am. Beautiful and very quite outside. More people walking than cars driving. Glad I live near the smart people...

Posted by: shirlingtonvillage | December 19, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Light snow has turned to moderate once again in Adams Morgan in the past few minutes.

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Snowfall rate has very much picked up here in Centreville VA in the last hour. I have not ventured out into the gusty winds to measure, but it looks as if we have 6 inches on the ground. Yeah, it's snowing hard now. Visibility is starting to get rough with blowing snow mixed in with new accumulations.

For those going outside to get crazy in all this beautiful powder, be careful about frostbite.

Posted by: cville4 | December 19, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Check the bouys offshore.

Low of 987.7 several hours ago, slowly rising as the storm moves away from the bouy.

This bouy is also fairly close to the storm, and currently falling in pressure:

All nearby reports:

Posted by: RandC | December 19, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

1) Although the drifting makes it hard to tell, seems like about 6-7" in Wesley Heights DC

2) Could you permalink at the top the page with the record snowfalls for DC (you posted yesterday, from NOAA)?

Posted by: ah___ | December 19, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have current condition input for the "Blizzard Warning" area? Curious.

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

9" in Fairfax City and the intensity has really picked up in the last 30 minutes or so. Wind is kicking up too. If the heaviest snow is truly yet to come, this will be one for the books.

Posted by: jburksva | December 19, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Best view of banding approaching is from Norfolk radar; http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=AKQ&type=N0R

DC radar can't see since beam too high at range for this precip

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD. 7.5" at 7:30am.

The radar sure looks pretty amazing, especially when you look at the whole storm. Wow.

Posted by: r3hsad | December 19, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Storm of the Century; Storm of the Decade; ShoppingStopper 2009; Snowbama Storm -- what are we naming the story?

Posted by: KRob33 | December 19, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Plenty of snow at Logan Circle. Main roads are half way cleared, but when you live in the city you don't need to drive. Plan to walk over to whole foods to get some food and walk back with it on my sled. Hope everyone stocked up. Sit back and enjoy this beautiful display by mother nature. Happy Holidays!!

Posted by: local200 | December 19, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I am in central Anne Arundel county, and although we are in the Blizzard warning, we are not getting blizzard like conditions yet. Moderate snow and moderate wind, but I am assuming this warning is for later when that low intensifies and moves up the coast. I will online all day and will post regularly. I haven't measured in a couple of hours but we are at or around 9"

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

8:45AM, here in the City of Manassas, the snow is coming down sideways hard and fast. snow drifts make it hard to get a good measurement.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

This is weird -- Just heard a plane taking off, headed north from DCA. Wow.

Posted by: ah___ | December 19, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

So, Where on earth are all these people on the interstates going today?! There were way, way too many people out driving around on my way in to work today. For the most part, the major interstates are still snow-covered. The innerloop had some bare patches that were nice but they were limited to about a 3-mile stretch around RT. 50. I saw 3 people spin out, and about a half-dozen already off the road. Also, if you HAVE to go out today, for the love of everything holy, CLEAN OFF YOUR CAR!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

8:30 AM - About 11 inches in Dumfries.

Posted by: fall_line | December 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

DC radar can't see since beam too high at range for this precip

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria - 8:42 am I haven't been out to measure the snow (going out in just a bit) but it's snowing as hard as I've seen it snow. I went to bed around 2:00 am and it was moderate to heavy. I would say this is heavy to very heavy.

Posted by: joelhousman | December 19, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Also, a solid 6 inches cleaned off the car in Columbia at 6:45

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

@dprats21: Blizzard warning area:

Near Cape St. Clair, MD - Steady sustained winds 20-25mph about 10 feet above ground level (our anemometer is usually a little low due to effects of the house, but we have 40+ miles of no interference to the NE). Deck wind-cleared to completely clear of snow except where sheltered. Grass wind-cleared to about 1/2 to 1 inch of snow, except where sheltered. Drifts over 3 feet. That's what I see looking out the window, have not actually been outside.

Posted by: RandC | December 19, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

6.5 inches (measured using the imperfect tape measure on the car hood method) at 8:30 at McLean/Arlington line. Still snowing. It looks like they plowed my road during the night (not that its usable now).

Miracle: My WaPo was there. Covered by snow, such that I could only catch a glimpse of one corner of the wrapper, but it was there. Thanks, paper guy!

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 19, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Snowlover: Thanks! You were one of the folks I was wondering about. I think you are right, looks like some bands headed our way.

ah__: Channel 4 just talked to someone at the airports authority, and they sound like their crews have been keeping up with the snowfall. We will see for how long.

Krob33: Ch4 just called it the "Snow-bama 2009", so I guess we have a trial balloon! Ah, they have a naming contest going...

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Just went out with a ruler in DC on 19th Street, just north of Florida Ave, next to the Hilton. I measured 6 inches on the sidewalk, and almost 8 inches on top of the mulch near the trees.

Posted by: todd27 | December 19, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Seems like folks are out shopping..?.!.. The latest is that Potomac Mills is opened (10am) and Tysons is opened (noon).

Retailers are desperate .. Its Super Super Saturday!!

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 19, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@dprats21 - Where are you located? Snow total so far?

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

RandC: thanks, hold on to your hat!

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

please tell me tysons corner center and some of the other larger malls have closed and not asked retailers and their employees to come out in this...

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | December 19, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible that the Weather Channel has backed off of their accumulation totals? I swear mine were higher an hour ago @ weather.com.

@Jason-CapitalWeatherGang I hope that you are right about the dry slot. It is making me nervous.

Posted by: edwardappleby | December 19, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Pnflkc, I know the Annapolis mall has closed, not sure about any others.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria Just snapped 2 pictures with my iPhone. I wish my FlipUltra HD was here already otherwise I'd post video (it's on it way here from Amazon). I've posted the pictures here: http://www.joelhousman.com/blog/2009/12/19/old-town-alexandria-857-am.html

Posted by: joelhousman | December 19, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Channel 7 said we probably "half way" through the storm...

Posted by: Losercuda | December 19, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Snowing hard and sideways here in Manassas. Front stoop check produced a measurement of 7", but I know that isn't the actual snowfall. (Not dressed yet to head out further).

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 19, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hard to tell but looks like about 8" in parts of Arlington.

Posted by: washpost18 | December 19, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Pnflkc3 - so far the malls I know that are open include Tysons noon) and Potomac Mills (10am).. Insane..

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 19, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Snowlover: Laytonsville (NE of Gaithersburg) we have about 6.25 in so far, winds pretty calm. We were at 4.5 at 6am.

Snow started here about an hour later than many places right around us last night. Literally, there was this u-shaped hole (on the radar and with posted observations around us) where it was snowing a couple of miles south, east, and northwest of us well before it started here.

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

x-mas shoppers need to realize you still have five days left; do not go out today

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | December 19, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Snow baby, snow, here in Manassas! Anybody else got problems talking the dogs into doing their business in the snow? Its been a long time since my JRTs have had to walk ear high in the snow and they are reticent to follow the call of mother nature. May have to shovel out a special place in the yard just for them...

Posted by: manassasmissy | December 19, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Watching Ch4 and chuckling at this transplanted Moscovite Vladmir who swears he is going to make it to Florida in his Lexus today. LOL.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 19, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Got $5 that our man, Vladmir, was some sort of YouTube joke.

Posted by: Losercuda | December 19, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

They just posted a blizzard warning for Fairfax County!!!

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 19, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Total snowfall so far at house in Spotsylvania is now at 13"

Posted by: panthersny | December 19, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Good snow clip hear at 9:15, I would say it is snowing at clip of about 1.5" an hour right now.

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

tysons corner is open (just called mall); abc7 reports tysons galleria to open at noon

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | December 19, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

ksfgatorfn1: Saw the same report. We had a good chuckle out of it to. "I know how to drive in snow, but the car doesn't." (Paraphrased) ROFL!!

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

WE ARE UNDER A BLIZZARD WARNING!!!!!!

Really hoping for no school Mon and Tue!

Posted by: icecubedowntoilet | December 19, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

We are under a BLIZZARD WARNING!!!

Please no school Mon or Tue!

Posted by: icecubedowntoilet | December 19, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for posting twice, clearly I am too excited!

Posted by: icecubedowntoilet | December 19, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard Warnings now include the Metro area and areas inland north

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard warning for Montgomery County

Posted by: salf | December 19, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

19 inches in Crozet - west of Charlottesville at the foot of the Blue Ridge

Posted by: wahoojosh | December 19, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

My roommates decided to be nice and offer to watch friends' kids while they went to a party in VA last night. Apparently, both the parents and the host totally ignored the weather reports. I get to spend the weekend trapped inside with 2 extra toddlers. So much for my nice quiet weekend.

Posted by: epjd | December 19, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Oh, for the love of....

Dead link

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The snow flakes have just gotten bigger here in Silver Spring.

Posted by: Murre | December 19, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

In addition to Fairfax, Blizzard warning includes much of the DC area (i.e., Prince William, Stafford, Montgomery, PG, etc.). Loudon and points West are not included.

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 19, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard warning has been extended to the west of I95.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 19, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Nexrad radar links guys, they rock! Right after my last post, not 5 minutes later, it started pouring snow harder than even 2-4 a.m. this morning!! My mother-in-law just emailed wifey(kygurl94) and she lives in Vienna(motherinlaw-not wife :}) and is reporting 9" as of 8:15 am. We're in Herndon, I have an "old fashioned 1970,s" yardstick-ruler (wood), like the rulers I used (or was being hit with) getting my Catholic Education and am measuring consistent 10" inches. I keep walking all over the place sticking my "ruler" in the ground getting measurements to make sure they are all consistent. Also, as I was typing this post, my wifey's "weatherbug" just chirped making me jump to see that we are under a Blizzard Warming IN HERNDON!!!! Can you believe that shi..um stuff?!!!! Awesome, and who was saying this storm is over??? It's not over in Herndon, Va. If it's over at your house, I'm sorry but we are pumped!!

Posted by: MITCHRAPP | December 19, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I asked this last night, but I guess everyone had gone to bed already...what does 00z and NAM mean in some of the posts?

Trying to motivate to shovel the driveway. 8" x 3 vs. 24" at once....decisions, decisions.

Posted by: SamFelis | December 19, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

This is almost unbelievable! - In the greatest way possible.

Can anyone recall when it was that we had our last blizzard warning?

Posted by: wecndo | December 19, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

8.5" in Waterford, VA so far. 21.3 degrees, still accumulating rapidly.

Posted by: Narrows | December 19, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@epjd, you are owed a GIANT favor. We feel your pain over here.

Posted by: Murre | December 19, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Just over 4" on my front steps in University Park, and coming down steadily. On my way out to shovel before the high winds, just as soon as I finish my coffee.

Posted by: NML_dc | December 19, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

In trips out to clear and walk the dog, am noticing a distinct increase in number and intensity of wind gusts, here in Arlington.

Posted by: vaguypost | December 19, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. I see the doubters are out this morning, right on time it would seem. Tons of good snow stories out there, I'm getting ready to roam about Arlington in search of coffee and pictures, will let you know if I find anything good. It is really coming down hard out here, and can't wait for the coastal low to really get cranking and bring us the heavier bands. I can still hear some planes take off from DCA, good work by the airport authority to keep some things moving.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

i love vladimir!!!!!!!! TEAM VLADIMIR!

Posted by: fashionputitallonme | December 19, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I have a heated Precipitation Collector. Storm total as of 9:30 AM 12/19/2009 is 0.44 inches.

Posted by: OverTheRiver | December 19, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I just saw the Sahilis on Channel 5 pretending they are snow-plow drivers taking a break at the Dunkin Donuts.

She was wearing a full-length fake mink coat and he was sporting two fake Rolexes.

Posted by: Losercuda | December 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

About 7" on the ground in Silver Spring/Forest Glen and coming down at a pretty good clip.

Posted by: rscottking | December 19, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

SamFelis: Same here... thinking really light snow, 2 times... once this afternoon and then Sun morning. Maybe if it reaches a foot before 1pm, I'll get the first shoveling out of the way.

Can you all believe a Blizzard Warning for the majority of the DC suburbs? Wow.

Well now I am leaning to "Holiday Blizzard'09"

Posted by: dprats21 | December 19, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Any updates/knowledge on metro or amtrak status?

Posted by: Tara71 | December 19, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

snowing hard in falls church. 8" so far!

you know, i expected to wake up to something like this, but then have the "model guys" start talking about problems.... instead, BLIZZARD WARNING!

it's sooo pretty out there. going sledding later...hot chocolate...fire...aaaahhhh....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 19, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Just took the dog out for a walk. She's a pug and was buried up to her muzzle! There's about 9.5" on the grass and 6.5" on the pavement in Fairfax City!

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 19, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

My friend in Titusville Fla called to complain...they are cold...it's 38 degrees.
Plenty of snow in Falls Church, baking cookkies for energy before starting any snow shoveling. Gotta have that sugar energy

Posted by: tbva | December 19, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

20" and counting in Charlottesville. We seem to be at the south end of the bands but it just keeps coming. My snow yardstick is starting to look a bit overwhelmed.

Played in the yard/street for an hour with my 3-year-old, then discovered she was wearing a snowsuit w/out any socks (her big brother helped her get dressed). Quick hot bath - all better.

Am now enjoying the view and coffee w/Kahlua

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 19, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

9 inches between cars in Manassas. I shoveled. Got the first 9 inches up. Now lets see how much more I have to shovel later.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | December 19, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

maybe a weather expert could help me

I'm a snowhater and see an encouraging gap opening up between Charlottesville and Roanoke, any chance this thing pushed out of here sooner than expected?

Posted by: TGT11 | December 19, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Just shoveled, 6" on the sidewalk at 9:50am in University Park.

Posted by: NML_dc | December 19, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

i have almost 10 inches where i live near reisterstown.

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 19, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful swirling eddies of moderate powder falling in my yard in Adams Morgan/DC; snow at about an inch an hour and seems to be getting heavier. Shoveling was easy so far, but steps and sidewalk are already white a a few minutes later.

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

11.5 inches here in Lake Ridge. Heavy snow, gusty winds...I fully support the extension of the blizzard warning. Drifts here are about 19-20".

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | December 19, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

8 inches and counting at Meridian Hill Park!

Posted by: aapike86 | December 19, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

11" on my deck, northern exposure with no tree cover at 10:25 in Kensington, MD, 2 miles north of I-495. Heavy snow averaging 1" per hour accumulation since 7:30 am.

Posted by: h0db | December 19, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember the snow storm in the past where folks abandoned their cars in the droves? It was a long time ago. TV seems to be reporting this is happening now.

Posted by: tbva | December 19, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how it's possible, but snow continues & is getting heavier. NWS seems to suggest snow will let up after noon (short-term forecast). Bands seems to be pulsing to the east and north of us, so we may have had our fun for the day.

Time to build the fort!

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 19, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Been glancing outside for the past half hour or so, between flipping pancakes and talking to parents, and I tell you it's snowing harder every time I look...

Eyeballing it I would say it's at least 8 inches, here in the West End of Alexandria City, but I'd wouldn't be suprised if it's closer to a foot. Will be making a Harris Teeter run later (on foot) and I need to buy a ruler along with food!

Posted by: MKoehl | December 19, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

tbva-in DC? Certainly happened in the famed Blizzard of '78 in Massachusetts. In that case there wasn't much warning. This time? You're an idiot if you have to abandon your car.

Posted by: ah___ | December 19, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@tbva, the TV might be referring to the Blizzard of 1978. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States_blizzard_of_1978) It was mostly a New England event, but due to public distrust of weather forecasts, many people were stranded in their cars on Route 128 outside of Boston.

Posted by: dettiot | December 19, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I got my drivers license in Massachusetts the morning of the Blizzard of '78. That was the most disruptive, disasterous snow storm I will ever see.

Posted by: Losercuda | December 19, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think the snow has slowed down here in NE Montgomery County.

My wife's comment is... I don't see how we'll get the snow forecast unless it picks up significantly.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | December 19, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I lived in CT during the Blizzard of '78. I remember my dad dropping me in the snow and then pretending he could find me because my head was the only thing that was sticking out.
On another note, I just heard 2 planes take off from DCA about 5 minutes apart. Because of all of the cloud cover, it seems louder than normal.

Posted by: phanieb | December 19, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I was born in Boston. The abandoned car storm was here in No Va sometime. We had a biggie in the mid sixties here in Va...I was a kid and the only way we could get to play in the snow was to roll on the top...a technique I remembered from the Boston days!

Posted by: tbva | December 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

tbva: You were asking about the snow storm when folks abandoned their cars in droves. It was in the early 1980s, like 1983. We lived in Falls Church, right off of Route 50. The federal government made everyone go to work and then they sent them home at 10 am, which created an incredible mess. Three days later, I saw a guy in a sweat suit trying to dig his BMW out of a snow drift in the Route 50 median strip -- with a tennis racket.

Posted by: tbva

Posted by: doug703 | December 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm on Broad Creek in Annapolis, we have 8-9 inches as far as I can tell. Haven't been out yet. The wind has now dropped and the snowflakes are much larger, coming straight down.

Speaking of idiots getting their cars stuck... some bonehead just got stuck in our cul de sac, which happens to be the top of my driveway. Before I could go out to help he just locked the car and walked off! Sure hope he went for help or we're TRAPPED!!!

Posted by: CCCinNaptown | December 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Doug...that may have been it.

Posted by: tbva | December 19, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

At 11am- measured a little over 9 inches in our front yard in the Huntington Area of Alexandria. Cat thought it was fun until she fell off our porch into it. Then it was just funny for me.

Posted by: kallieh | December 19, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Just spent about an hour and a half trying to get a head start on the shoveling. About 9 1/2 inches now in McLean. Snowing well over an inch an hour now. I'd expect to be at 12 inches no later than 2.

Posted by: HokieTerp | December 19, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

11" in falls church and coming down like gangbusters!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Just took a hike to the Harris Teeter (Barracks Rd). AWESOME! Snow now at 23" on yardstick so I'm going to round up to 2 feet.

Radar makes it look like we're done and the window outside would agree. Anyone at CWG want to make a prediction for us?

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 19, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MikeLicht | December 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

14" in McLean, VA.

Posted by: elizestrada | December 19, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Another 1/2' in 20 minutes and snowing really hard in McLean Va. Total is 14 1/2"

Posted by: elizestrada | December 19, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

12" in Falls Church, just cleared the driveway but I think we will be doing it again...soon.

Posted by: tbva | December 19, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing hard in Naptown. My yard varied from 6 to 12", excluding the deeper drifty areas.

The bonehead who got stuck in my cul de sac came back with a floor jack and tire chains! He's been at it since 11 AM. Got the chains on about 10 minutes ago and got his car moved about, oh, 10 feet.

My wife and I offered to help shovel/push/whatever, but no, he's going to handle it himself. A great snow storm memory for us...

Posted by: CCCinNaptown | December 19, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse