The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:50 PM ET, 12/18/2009

The snow is here: Some could see two feet of it!

By Dan Stillman

Stay put... roads already becoming hazardous

* Winter Storm Warning | Blizzard Warning east of I-95 (map) *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail forecast to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* Travel tips | Snowy Saturday happy hour | Live chat transcript *
* Submit snow photos | Tweet storm reports to #eastcoaststorm *

Predicted snow accumulation by the time the storm tapers off Saturday evening.

The stars have aligned about as perfectly as they can for D.C. area snow lovers. No rain/snow line, probably little to no sleet, and no last-second wobble in the storm track.

Snow is falling, already accumulating and making roads treacherous, and confidence is high that it will fall fast and furious through much or most of tomorrow. Some parts of the metro area will very likely pick up close to or even more than two feet of snow before all is said and done. This storm will almost certainly break local December snow records, and could very well rank with some of the biggest area snowstorms of all time.

Stay warm -- highs tomorrow will probably be stuck in the 20s, with gusty winds blowing snow around and keeping wind chills in the teens. Stay safe. And get ready to shovel. Oh, and school on Monday? I don't think so.

Please let us know with a comment below what's doing in your backyard.

By Dan Stillman  | December 18, 2009; 10:50 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Major to historic snowstorm starts this evening
Next: Powerful, historic snowstorm pasting metro region

Comments

2 feet here we come!

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | December 18, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Everyone enjoy these next 2 days...and take lots of photos.

Posted by: cville4 | December 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

First, second, third... who cares! It's snowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: KelsiN | December 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

iiii'm soooooo exciiiiiittedddd!!

Posted by: AmberGale | December 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I love snow but not sure I love how my 9 mo. pregnant wife keeps looking at the forecast and asking "so, if I had to go to the hospital on Saturday could we get there?"

Posted by: Rileymrtn | December 18, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Olney, ground is covered. I have mixed feelings. I am a snow lover, but was supposed to fly out of BWI on Sunday at noon.

Posted by: celestun100 | December 18, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

NOAA Loudoun forecast says 18-21". Consistent with CWG of 16-24+. What are the chances of that 24+ in Loudoun/Waterford?

Posted by: Narrows | December 18, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

1st flake fell ~ 9:40PM in south Columbia, MD (Walking dog around Lake Elkhorn in Owen Brown). Within 10 min there was light coat on iced over lake.

Posted by: paulhershberg | December 18, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, it will be something if the projections hold.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Hearing that some folks have almost a foot of snow around Charlottesville, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear a total close to 3 feet.

Blizzard Warning for St Mary, Calvert, Charles, Anne Arundel and Prince Georges county in the morning. Just in on Fox 5

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | December 18, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

hi i live in bethesda maryland.
snow started here at around 9:15. it has been pretty light so far but started sticking right away. i would say we have about 1 to 2 centimeters of snow on the ground. the roads are covered.
a couple of questions.....
for montgomery count public schools what would u say about have school on monday, tuesday and wednesday?
also will our area get at least 2 feet of snow?
thanks

Posted by: jjsoccer1125 | December 18, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

omg! 16" is the LOW prediction! holy freakin' moly!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, at long last, the snowstorm that some of us have been waiting for. I hope we don't lose power...

Posted by: celestun100 | December 18, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

This will be amazing. I have a huge research paper due monday and I would love to have that due date pushed back!! ;)

Posted by: PeterBethesda | December 18, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Snow has been accumulating for almost two hours in Alexandria. Noise in the neighborhood is starting to get muffled. Butterflies for prospects of a two-foot storm!

Posted by: mmurphy70 | December 18, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

PG, Anne Arundel, St. Mary's, etc. to go under blizzard warning in morning.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | December 18, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Does the fact that the storm started early mean that there will be higher accumulation or that it will just end sooner?

Posted by: celestun100 | December 18, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

So out of question - how quickly do the airports get cleaned up around here? My dad is supposed to fly in to DCA Monday night. I'm thinking since the snow is supposed to end Sunday AM, Monday night should be good, esp since the flight originates from Houston.

Thoughts?

Posted by: jahutch | December 18, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

As a sign of how cold it is/ has been, cement is covering faster than grass at the McLean/Arlington line.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 18, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Totally ready to be snowed in!
Looking forward to the building of the "snow fort" with my five year old boy.
Sledding too!

Posted by: bodyiq | December 18, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

About an inch so far in Lorton (South Fairfax County). Wet and heavy :D Last time this happened, I was out of school for a week! ('96).

Posted by: hugesfan | December 18, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

jahutch, by Monday night, I have to belive the airports will be back to at least minimal delays. Once this storm begins to wind down they'll be doing everyhing they can possibly do to minimize losses.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Rileymrt - As much as your wife may not want to hear it, if she goes into labor Saturday she might do better to stay home. It'll be safer than trying to make it to the hospital!

Posted by: KelsiN | December 18, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I've been having trouble finding a name for this storm. "Der Unglaubliche Schneesturm" (the unbelievable snowstorm) is a good German name, but I think "Epic Snowstorm of 2009" also works pretty well, given that I've seen at least one person describe it as epic.

Two points that I'd like to make, besides the fact that I'm really, really excited about the coming weather. First, Accuweather has a rather conservative take on the storm, at 6-12 inches. In fact, their "Weather Alarm" only predicts 8.3. Not to get the whole Accuweather debate started again, but I just thought people might be interested to see them going the modest route.

Second: as someone already pointed out, out-of-towners really can't fault DC people for panicking a little about this storm. We're not talking about a dusting now; we're not even talking about 10 inches, which is a good-sized snowstorm almost anywhere in the country. We're talking about 12-24 inches. People in DC have every reason to go and get bread and milk, as I don't know if we'll be able to drive the next three days. So don't give us flak for rushing to the Giant and Safeway, folks from Wisconson, New England and so on. Admit it: this is a big storm.

Approaching .75 inches in McLean, VA.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 18, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

the name should be the "Epic December 2footer"

Posted by: samdman95 | December 18, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

How will the roads be on Monday? My husband is flying back into town Monday afternoon, and I am supposed to pick him up at Dulles. It's about a 35 minute drive in good weather. I am not a confident driver in snow (out of practice, for one thing).

Posted by: bnh123 | December 18, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Just got home. Drove from Ballston to Shirlington area and it was a struggle!!! Roads varied from wet to slushy to a sheet of ice. There was a major accident on the onramp to 395 at Washington blvd and I took Arlington ridge rd. at about 5mph and slid all the way down the hill. 395 was fairly clear, King st was fine but as soon as I pulled off King St. into my neighborhood there was a PILE of cars at the bottom of the road. They couldn't get up the hill to their respective homes. We pusherd a few and barely made it ourselves. My development was a sheet of white even with lots of traffic recently through it.

STAY HOME! Roads are terrible. Most of them seem to have been pre-treated so the first layer that fell melted and froze and now there is ice on top. I was all over the road.

Posted by: AnneinSand | December 18, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Originally had a flight getting into BWI at 4:30pm Saturday and knowing full well it would be cancelled (it has been) I took advantage of United's "travel waiver" policy and re-booked a new flight free of cost that gets in at 10:30pm Sunday. I'm really hoping it's not cancelled too. I'm fine with some delays, but I hope that by mid-day Sunday the area airports will be open. Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

KBurchfiel,
in naming the storm, you've got to have the "december" factor in there. i mean, it's not even winter yet!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 18, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, honeys, the first flakes fell on your region so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o long ago....

Posted by: greener_pastures | December 18, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Adams Morgan: first flakes at 8:45, maybe a third of ab inch on fixtures, nothing on roads or sidewalks.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | December 18, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Just over an inch here in the City of Manassas.

Posted by: irish031 | December 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Annein, You're echoing my sentiments right on. Unfortunately I've got to go into work tomorrow, being deemed "essential personnel", to produce the daily snow map of all things. Coming from upstate NY, I'd consider myself an expert in driving through heavy snow and still I'm very nervous about heading in tomorrow morning, and even more nervous about getting home.
If you plan on heading out for any reason other than ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL reasons tomorrow, do yourself a favor and forget it. Travel will be nigh impossible for a large portion of the day tomorrow.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

first flakes in Havre de Grace. So pretty!!

Posted by: tracythewriter | December 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Healthy inch on the ground in s. Arlington. Yippeeeeee!!!!!!

Posted by: topherbecker | December 18, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

It's a "December to Remember," indeed.

Posted by: punyandy | December 18, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

lull here in arlington

Posted by: LouLewis | December 18, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Have 10 inches in Charlottesville already. Looking at possibility of more than 2 feet. Still coming down hard.

Posted by: msl1570 | December 18, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

My only suggestion at this point is some kitty litter in the trunk. It won't help in the deep stuff tomorrow but it would have been wonderfully helpful traction for some of the folks trying to get up the hill tonight. Might help some tomorrow if your wheels are just spinning. But its going to be a total show tomorrow. Take the bus.

Posted by: AnneinSand | December 18, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

About an inch in Herndon... I remember 28" about 13 years ago in Feb, but that was over 2 snowfalls. Cannot remember in my 25+ years here ever getting 2 feet in about 18 hours.

Posted by: daddy00 | December 18, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

To all the folks who are trying to re-book flights until Sunday or Monday assuming that the airports will be open:

Having the airports re-open is about half the battle. All the major carriers are going to be going through massive re-positioning for many days after the storm has passed. They will have planes, crews, and cabin crews all over the United States and getting them back into place after a storm this huge will take many days.

And, when you account for the massive "holiday-level" amount of passengers who are going to have to be re-booked (at lease 2 days worth) then it is just a massive mess.

Having a ticket and a scheduled flight and an open airport on Monday or Tuesday guarantees nothing.

Good luck...

Posted by: Losercuda | December 18, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have any predictions about whether the Federal Government will shut down on Monday?

Posted by: klusby | December 18, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Rileymrt: start reading the internet so you know what to expect and how to cut the chord. I wouldn't risk the roads. You're better off calling the hospital and getting talked through it

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 18, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

First flakes at the Harry Nice Bridge (Rt. 301 into VA) between 7:30-7:45. Sorry so late reporting... been watching "Criminal Minds" on A&E.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 18, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

It's okay to travel if you're walking! :)

If they're silly enough to open the theaters in Silver Spring, I'll be silly enough to go walk to them. If not, then I'll try going to the Giant since they were open shortly after the President's Day weekend storm... I remember all the people seeing me walk back with Giant bags ecstatic that Giant was open but asking me twice just in case.

Posted by: prokaryote | December 18, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the 11 o'clock news and listened to several nervous shop owners try to stay positive about this weekend's Christmas shopping...ain't happening!

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 18, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

There's not a lot of snow on the road yet, but MD 144, aka Patrick Street in Frederick, is right outside my windows, and people are driving much too fast I think. Sure hope people start slowing down!

Posted by: dettiot | December 18, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

already had my first snowball fight. I cannot even describe how excited I am. Do I need to build a snow fort tomorrow? I think yes.

Posted by: kudzu13 | December 18, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Rileymrt -- sort of echoing what weathergrrl just said about staying off the roads, but please call 911 if you need to. I'm a 911 dispatcher and we all get training for giving childbirth instructions over the phone. Best of luck to you both, and I hope the baby decides to wait for a few days!

Posted by: natsncats | December 18, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Four legged children keep going in and out the doggie door. Wouldn't be so bad if they could dry themselves off.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | December 18, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Rileymr & weathergrrl: stick to the internet and don't cut the cord! The cord should never be cut except in emergencies until it is done pulsing and turns whitish. Hubby and I delivered our now 2.5 year old with no problems!

Posted by: KelsiN | December 18, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I've lived here since fall 1998 and this is the first time I can recall the projected totals going UP -- and significantly -- as the bulk of the storm approached.

Posted by: mirrorball | December 18, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I have an idea, lets call this storm "Climate Change". I think its very fitting considering POTUS flew home early from another blizzard, to beat this blizzard, from a conference on Global Warming, LMAO

Posted by: MurphyBush | December 18, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Big issues on Walter Reed Dr and Four Mile Run in Shirlington, Arlington. Had to close the road to plow/salt. Traffic going WAY TOO FAST. Saw several cars spin out and go into medians while walking the pooch. Almost pulled up a lawn chair, grabbed a beer and watched the idiots.

Dog had a grand ol time though. It's his first real snow!

Posted by: vaguypost | December 18, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

@anneinsand, I think the weight in the trunk trick only works with a RWD.

Over an inch now at the McLean/Arlington Line.

@ Josh: By Sunday, the airports should be fine in terms of use. Whether the plane/crew/pilots are there and you can get to BWI is another question. (I'm a pilot, so I know airports. Airlines are their own breed of problem.) Fly Safe.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | December 18, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

11 inches and deepening in Crozet (west of Charlottesville at the foot of the Blue Ridge)

Posted by: wahoojosh | December 18, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

So...I live off 16th St in NW DC. My wife is getting off work tomorrow morning between 10 and 12. Hopefully on the early side of that range. We live two miles from the hospital (where she works). How much of a nightmare will that drive be? What should she do? Call a cab? Walk? Try to drive?

Posted by: TheTim | December 18, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

For the kitty litter, I mean to slice open and spread on the ground to get some traction! It's really rough out there. My plan for tomorrow is to build a fire, roast a chicken and watch christmas movies while I drink wine and watch the snow.

Posted by: AnneinSand | December 18, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Mirrorball, we moved here the same time and I can't remember the amount expected increasing either. This would probably close DC schools on Monday if we weren't closed anyway.

Posted by: p-man | December 18, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I am so excited I can hardly contain it. I cannot believe we're even talking about a snow like this...one to two feet sounds like numbness, could it ever happen? Snowing here in Manassas and looking awesome so far. Don't think I'll sleep tonight.

Posted by: manassasmissy | December 18, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Getting very nervous about my plans for Monday. When I spoke to my friend about watching the weather, he said he would believe it when he saw it (native of Baltimore). Hmmmph. Next time, maybe he will listen.

Posted by: epjd | December 18, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh and the roads in Manassas are not so great already. Small cars slipping around. Stay off the roads.

Posted by: manassasmissy | December 18, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey, thanks much for the insider information! I'm hopefully optimistic that since the flight originates in Denver I *may* be okay, but I know that it's not nearly that simple. I'm just really happy I changed my flight before it got cancelled and am not on standby as probably tens thousands of people will be this weekend.

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

natscats and weathergrrl- thanks. I'm hoping he likes it where he is and stays put until the plows and sun combine to make it easier. We'll just enjoy the fire and the food from our cancelled party. I've got all the guys in the neighborhood lined up to pull a sled to the hospital.

Posted by: Rileymrtn | December 18, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

@TheTim

Driving will be very tough going tomorrow morning unless you have 4-wheel drive.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Check out dominion's power outage map! Starting to get some color showing up, interesting to see how it looks tomorrow morning.

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 18, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

We have our first foot of snow in Charlottesville. The flakes have abated for now, but not bad for the first 8 hours of the storm....

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | December 18, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing liberal leave Monday for the government. What will a two-hour delay do? Either you can get in or you can't.

Wesley Heights--about an inch at 11:30.

Posted by: ah___ | December 18, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful, steady snow in Potomac.

Posted by: someonelikeyou | December 18, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Jason - that's my worry. We have an Audi with all wheel drive, but I'm expecting the lesser roads (going east/west) to be a mess. Early in the forecasts I was hoping that because she's off before noon she might be able to make it without issue, but that's looking less likely.

Thanks for the great coverage.

Posted by: TheTim | December 18, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

That's why I suggested calling hospital to talk through it. Cord has to go sometime. And the afterbirth too. Dispatchers can talk people thru it as well. They're trained to do it. Hopefully they won't be busy with storm-related stuff. I wish riley et al much luck. If baby is born during this .... chinese would say much luck will follow this person thru life ...

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 18, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Re: DC Snow Panics, Driving, etc.

I've lived here about 40 years, driven here for about 30 years, so I've seen my share of snows--in fact, the GW B'day storm of 1979 turned a brief visit to my girlfriend's house to meet her parents into a 4 day intensive introduction to the family. We got married about a year later (no shotguns...).

The problem is DC is usually close to the rain/snow line and even when it snows, it's usually got a high liquid water content. I've driven in Buffalo and Chicago snows and traction is not anything like the problem it is here, with a high water content in the snow. We also can go years without much snow, and then get a Nor'easter like the current storm that buries us. We aren't Buffalo, aren't equipped with snow removal like such places, and driver lose their snow mojo. It still amazes me to see people abandon their cars on major roads like you see here.

Making Brunswick stew and buttermilk biscuits tomorrow, with some Sierra Nevada porter on the side.

Posted by: h0db | December 18, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I have seen a picture from Charlottesville and it is amazing to already have 10-12" on the ground! wow.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | December 18, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Midnight, Dumfries, VA -- 3 inches.

Posted by: fall_line | December 18, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

so is that showing more precip in the storm. therefore higher totals. i personally think totals will be closer to 30

Posted by: snowlover3 | December 19, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

h0db, great comment on the snow. I grew up in northern Indiana. The snow is all lake effect snow, which can be wet but we always had the plows to deal .... plus the Midwest is FLAT, unlike the foothills of the Piedmont, as the NWS used to refer to the outer regions of DC ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 19, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

MurphyBush,
right now i'm too happy about the snow to have a global warming discussion, except to say that, yes, today, in wash d.c and vicinity, temperatures are below normal. 2000-2009 was the warmest decade since we started measuring.

speaking of measuring: 1-1/2" in falls church. looks beautiful already.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 19, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

@weathergrrl, you can bet that all the 911 centers around the area will be slammed with storm-related calls and incidents. It's actually fun to be in the middle of all of it, working together with the police, fire and EMS personnel to get the job done. Makes the 12-hour shifts go by very fast!

That said, I'm glad my squad is off this weekend. I've been in the biz for 25 years, so I think a little break is due ;-)

Saturday I'll be making some Tuscan bean soup, with a little shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano on top, and I've got some nice crusty Italian bread to go along with it. May do some cookie baking as well.

Posted by: natsncats | December 19, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Also, this is a lot of snow, if we get 12 inches, that would cause school closings in most places outside of upstate New York. Wisconsin, Michigan would close schools for 12 inches. You just have to be able to clear the roads and that takes awhile. We have more ice here.
I think our winters here are not as cold for such long periods of time, so we )re not as prepared for the cold. (Mittens, hats, jackets, etc)

Posted by: celestun100 | December 19, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Here is my first snow report via YouTube - The Daily Greg:

AKA: Rainman Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 19, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

We now have a little over two inches here in the City of Manassas.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I am wondering how to disable a jeep...my 20-year-old wants to drive from Reston to Annandale tomorrow for date....does not seem get the idea the roads will be un-drivable..even with 4-wheel drive. :)

Posted by: photojenn | December 19, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard any estimates of how much we'll get overnight? I keep seeing totals for the whole storm, and that the heaviest snow will start tomorrow morning or afternoon, but I haven't seen anything about how much might be on the ground tomorrow morning.

Posted by: gmbo | December 19, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Lake Ridge for about an hour or so.. At least a good 3 inches +. Heavy band appears to be stalling over most of Prince William and a bit into Southern Fairfax - at least for now..

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 19, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

noaa.gov says that there will be 4-8 inches overnight (that is for Olney, md)

Posted by: celestun100 | December 19, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

photojennn: used to be a bobby pin could spin the distrib cap to fix/disable vehicle. Nowadays all them parts migh not be just parts. When you coming out to Pearmund with the newbie?

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 19, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I am in Burke and I am not impressed by the quantity so far. Tiny flakes for 2 hours, and although bigger now, these aren't 8 inch flakes. I threw snowballs with kids earlier tonight and it was alot of work to form a tight ball. I would guess the snow fall amounts will be on the low end. People have driven easily on the roads, and there is no icing.

I have been through one blizzard in my life. It was in Iowa in 1998. Those were big snowflakes. Sorry CWG but this ain't that.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | December 19, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

SJMPARMAN,

It's midnight give it a few hours and, at the very least, wait until tomorrow morning through afternoon!

Posted by: snowedin85 | December 19, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Re: naming this storm. How about "The Zero Hero"? Something to signify the nice exclamation point we're getting to the end of a decade.

Interesting how we haven't come up with a shorthand yet:

Posted by: why1201 | December 19, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Heading to bed with about a half inch here in Columbia. Next report will be from work, if I can make it...

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Aren't the smaller flakes just because it is colder? I associate those big fluffy flakes with 32 degree snows, but when it is in the 20's the snow flakes are smaller. At least that is the idea I had growing up in Michigan.

Posted by: celestun100 | December 19, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Have A flight leaving DCA sun at 3pm. Can reschedule now for mond am at 9am. Smart move? Keep thinking snow will be over by Sund afternoon but there still could be backups. But then no guarantees for Mond either...Thoughts appreciated

Posted by: sgc4 | December 19, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

good luck, Brian and thank-you for this site. So much fun to talk about the snow!!

Posted by: celestun100 | December 19, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

To: Rileymrt and wife: If you're really due now, you might want to consult with doc about a plan. . .can you stay with a friend closer to the hospital? Borrow 4 wheel drive? Invite a midwife over for cocoa, cookies, and contractions? Seriously, I think I would consult wi ob/gyn for suggestions. And you might want to be thinking about an appropriate middle name or something—Neige for a girl? All best wishes . . .

Posted by: offhandmanor | December 19, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

sgc4 I am in the same situation as you are, I have a noon flight out of BWI on Sunday. According to some earlier comments, it sounds like it may take awhile for things to get cleared.

Posted by: celestun100 | December 19, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok, how am I supposed to sleep knowing we go under a blizzard warning at 6:00 am!?! I am sure this is one of 2-3 times at most that the county I live in has been under a blizzard warning! Freaking awesome!!!!!

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

@SJMPARMAN:

CWG Forecasters: "The snow will start falling around 10PM."
SJMPARMAN: "It's midnight, and the snow has only been falling for TWO HOURS. What kind of bullcrap is this?"

CWG: "The snow will be mushy at first because of warmth drawn up from the Gulf of Mexico."
SJMPARMAN: "Making snowballs is too hard in this weather. Though I suppose I could build arm strength by getting a shovel to dig out the sand lodged inside me..."

CWG: "People should take caution and watch out for icing."
SJMPARMAN: "Who gives a #@*$ about safety: I don't see ice beneath the snow blanketing my street, so there's no ice."

CWG: "This is not a blizzard."
SJMPARMAN: "Uh, I think I KNOW what a blizzard looks like, and, uh, this ain't a blizzard."

CWG: "Iowa sucks."
SJMPARMAN: "Agreed. So it makes sense that that's where I'm from."

Posted by: spankyman111 | December 19, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

I just think this whole thing is being overrated. We were supposed to get 5-8 tonight based on the impressive outflow from the low. That ended up being more dispersed considerably. We will be lucky to get 4 inches tonight.

I also am skeptical of the hugger deal. Storms tend to go when there is an opportunity to go. I see that happening before it gets far up the east coast. For tonight in DC I predict 2-3 inches. Maximum I see over DC is 5-6 inches. And I mean that in terms of overall.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | December 19, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

OY! i can't believe i am going to MISS this! i am currently in NYC...

two questions: any idea what we are gonna see here in NY? Also, my husband and i are taking the train back to DC sunday night...should we be worried?

i am having fun here, but i so want to be there for this crazy storm!

Posted by: dinergirl1 | December 19, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

AHAHAH SJMPARMAN I hope you come back and post an apology when you are dead wrong.

Posted by: amorris525 | December 19, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I was supposed to be on a flight out of National at 9:15 Saturday morning which was then pushed back to 7:45 am earlier tonight. What are the chances this flight is actually going to take off? And if it isn't canceled, does anyone have suggestions on how to get from Foggy Bottom to the airport early tomorrow morning?

Posted by: ColonelSounders | December 19, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

SJMPARMAN -- give it some time. The heaviest snow isn't supposed to be until morning anyway.

Posted by: mirrorball | December 19, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

You're snowed in, Colonel.

Posted by: fleeciewool | December 19, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm assuming some major wrap around (I'm sure that's not the correct term) activity, as it appears that the precip is already ending at the VA/NC border?

Posted by: DMTerp02 | December 19, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

stinkerflat1, thanks so much for the video! Hugely entertaining but also quite informative. (What's your day job out of curiosity? -- you seem made for TV, in a good way.) Keep those videos coming. I will live vicariously through them since I am stuck in Colorado until Sunday at the earliest...

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard waring out here in Crofton! What's the probability that we will actually meet blizzard criteria out here? I am assuming the wind criteria will be the toughest component to achieve?

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh Spankyman, you are SOOOOOOOO freaking funny, NOT.

CWG Forecasters: "The snow will start falling around 10PM."

I suppose that the snow is light and not amassing on the streets, trees and yards is of NO significance to you.

I wish it was mushy. Actually, this snow is very dry. It did not form into balls like most snow does. It required repeated patting, unlike the last storm.

CWG: "People should take caution and watch out for icing."

There is ABSOLUTELY no ice right now. It is pure powder in Burke, like walking on sand. Of course, you have been blogging all day, and because you are a blogger, you know it all. But for those of us who believe it is important not just to blog but to actually walk away from the computer, taste the reality of a weather experience, walk on the snow, smell the conditions, hear the sounds, oh well, we don't know nothing.

Iowa doesn't suck. I lived there a year, and family lived there for many years. Unfortunately, I had to go there for my sister's funeral in 1998. No one anticipated but God took her from us. God had me go up with a frail parent, who couldn't have walked in snow if she tried. But Mom loved her only daughter and did the impossible.

I was the man who had to walk outside, smell the blizzard and decide if she could make it home under those conditions. I got damn lucky. Although 26 inches of snow fell in Iowa we got a break before departure. Mom made it, and it remains among many outstanding efforts my Mom dd because she loved her kids. So, really, bite me.

CWG: "This is not a blizzard."

CWG: "Iowa sucks."
SJMPARMAN: "Agreed. So it makes sense that that's where I'm from."

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | December 19, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria - 12:43 am: It's now snowing very hard, large flakes, here in Old Town. I posted some pictures on my website here: http://www.joelhousman.com/blog/2009/12/19/old-town-alexandria-1249-am.html

Posted by: joelhousman | December 19, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Spankyman: that's not a good way to make friends.

Sure, we're not pounded with snow just yet, but given that Charlottesville already has about a foot on the ground, we'll probably be in the thick of that soon enough.

Today's German word of the day is Geduld (patience). To use it in a sentence: "SJMPARMAN braucht Geduld; der Schnee kommt bald." (SJMPARMAN needs patience; the snow will come soon.)

Just heard a plow! I think someone in my neighborhood has one fitted on their pickup truck. It's kind of nice that they're helping out the street, though I'm sure I despised it is a kid. (Back from college since last Saturday, so I'm not complaining!)

0:51 observations (hey, I'm like the weather radio now!): snow (duh); medium-sized flakes coming down fairly quickly. 2 inches of snow on the ground. McLean, VA 22101.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 19, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, looks like some dry air in NC and already areas of little to no precipitation down there. Wonder if this is one of those storms where the second part never materializes? As is, the snow shield coming through VA will probably leave the DC area with around 10-12 inches. I have my doubts it will be much more than that though. I'd guess this thing wraps up around noon Saturday at the latest with about a foot of accumulation.

Posted by: bkkwarlock | December 19, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

SJMPARMAN-

I've got 4" on my patio table already in Rose Hill.

Posted by: mason08 | December 19, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

So we should have followed our urge and not go to the holiday party that we did tonight. Thought we left in plenty of time, had to leave our car on the way back.

Yeah.... not so fun.

But we did (barely) make it home.

Posted by: kallieh | December 19, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Meaning: the roads are bad. Side roads very bad, main roads barely cleared at all. We got stuck because we couldn't get enough traction up a hill.

Sorry for the double post, not sure what happened.

Posted by: kallieh | December 19, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't think 5-8" is unreasonable for tonight. Just in the last hour or so the flakes have gotten way bigger and its coming down like crazy in Clarendon (Arlington), with 2"+ on the ground already

Posted by: mrevell83 | December 19, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Snow seems to be dry/fluffy, are 10:1 ratios still good or will it be higher? Any risk of sleet mixing in in western Anne Arundel county?

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

1 a.m. Saturday in S. Arlington (near Cinema and Drafthouse). Coming down hard now--a few inches on the ground. Started at 9 p.m.

Posted by: chunche | December 19, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

SJMPARMAN: what do you mean, it's "not amassing on the streets, trees and yards"? The grass outside my house is white, the trees have snow on them, and the road also has snow on it, though it was recently plowed. I'm curious as to where you live now.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 19, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Bloomingdale, DC @1am: 2.1", 28.4 F. RI Ave has a small amount of visible pavement. North Cap has none.

Posted by: checkypantz | December 19, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

KBurchfiel-
I was wondering the same thing about the "not amassing" comment. There must be elves up on my roof tossing white confetti into the yard.

Posted by: mason08 | December 19, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Weather channel is still calling for upwards of two feet and snow all day today(Saturday).

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know were I can go to monitor official airport totals throughout the day to determine if we are getting close to breaking records?

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Remember the alligator who loaded up on beer during the last big snowstorm and the lobster? Whatever happened to them? Are they still around? Actually the lobster ended up eaten by the alligator, so we knew where *she* ended up.

Outside my home in Beltsville about an inch, but precip looks more like freezing rain than snow right now. Everything is covered uniformly, grass, concrete sidewalks, asphalt.

Posted by: MikeinDC2 | December 19, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Just measured 4 inches in Fairfax. Comin down heavy. :)

Posted by: LPitch5 | December 19, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

NWS now calling for 6"-10" overnight here in Manassas, been snowing since around 9 and we already have 3"-4" with big flakes coming down fast.

Posted by: patmanbnl | December 19, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

**Josh - day job is working with attorneys on their electronic discovery needs. My "not so hidden" passion was radio and weather back in the day. Worked at WAVA when it was a Top 40 Stations for a spell in the early 1990's as well. Somehow I landed in the real business world but miss the media...so...The Daily Greg was created.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | December 19, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

About 2.5" in Herndon. Larger flakes coming down now.

Posted by: packyderm2 | December 19, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I *should* go to sleep--but I feel like I did as a kid--will school close? Can we sled tomorrow? Hot choc!

Posted by: chunche | December 19, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

MikeinDC,

Ya, I remember the gator. Maybe he went South?

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

i am curious... is there are a chance that the second low doesn't form and all we get is what's now left in Virginia and North Carolina. That would probably be about a 8 to 10 inches, but wouldn't even begin to approach 2 feet? Anyone know??

Posted by: realclear | December 19, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Took my mom 6 hours to drive from Richmond to Beltsville. I think she's certifiable but I'm glad she made it safely.

Posted by: ana_b | December 19, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

ALL YOUR SNOW ARE BELONG TO DC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg (some cartoon humor)

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 19, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Just drove from Herndon to Ballston via Toll Road and I-66. Little to no road treatment on the way with at least two dozen vehicles that were struggling to make it up hills and a half dozen that had slid into ditches. Definitely dont recommend driving anywhere tonight -- those major thoroughfares are probably a reflection of the BEST conditions out there.

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | December 19, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

How confident is everyone that we will see heavy snow through this evening? Based on current radar echos, I am a bit concerned that the heaviest could be over well before then. Thanks!

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

realclear, that is what I am thinking. I see a lot of dry air in NC and nothing filling in down there. I suspect this snow shield is what we are going to get. Id guess around 12 inches and all accumulation ending around noon Sat.

Posted by: bkkwarlock | December 19, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

If you're a night owl...go take a walk now....the snow flakes scatter all light many times over creating a very illuminated nighttime....it's like the sun is going down out there at 1AM. -- Columbia, MD

Posted by: paulhershberg | December 19, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Does CWG or do you (fellow) crazy snowlovers out there have advice on when to shovel all this stuff? Do I wait for it to end or should I go out sometime tomorrow to get the first 12" out of the way?

Posted by: mmurphy70 | December 19, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Snowing / Sleeting / Freezing rain here in Greensboro. ~8 inches snow on the ground.
We haven't had that much in many many years.

DC to get 2ft of snow?
Gotta love that climate change!!

hahahhahahahaha....

Posted by: porchfan | December 19, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

4-5 inches currently on my deck in Oxon Hill/Fort Washington area and coming down heavy

Posted by: TechLawyerInPG | December 19, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow, lots of people up tonight! Roommates and I finished our little shindig - the one who drove got home safely, the other two are within walking distance - and I just got updated on all the posts.

Okay, not really sure I'm reading the 00z(?) right, and a little afraid to ask - does it mean we're in line for 2.5 FEET of snow?

Here in the West End of Alexandria... moderate/heavy snow, maybe 2-3 inches on the ground?

I just might keep the shades open tonight so I can wake up in the morning and watch the snow, from the warmth of my down comforter. :)

Will take a walk to the Harris Teeter tomorrow to get ingredients for lentil soup, maybe something else... probably do some baking too, if I can negotiate kitchen time with the other roommate that cooks.

Posted by: MKoehl | December 19, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I disagree, maybe its wishful thinking but I think its slowed down quite a bit and its going to curl around, leaving DC in the precip through tomorrow evening

Posted by: mrevell83 | December 19, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

hoping not to go into labor this weekend!

Posted by: TechLawyerInPG | December 19, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

@mmurphy - From a guy that grew up in the northwestern Jersey and had to shovel both mine and my elderly neighbors' driveway, the optimal method is to allow no more than 6 inches accumulate. Any more than that and it gets very back-breaking. If you have a curved plastic shovel you should be in good shape ... you can just push the snow instead of scooping and lifting. The snow is powdery enough to not cause much of an issue.

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | December 19, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

porchfan -- This IS climate change....global warming enduced climate change will bring extremes in climate.....AND THIS IS ONE OF THEM...

I saw it rained approx 18 inches north of Miami last night as a thunderstorm sat on top of N. Miami for hours....probability of extremes like these will go up with climate change....it ain't all some linear "why doesn't it feel warmer out"

Posted by: paulhershberg | December 19, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

camped out at Regan National with a few hardy souls. Hope to get out at 7 am. Plane and crew are here, and planes are still taking off. if the plane is here, it should be able to get out, but most arrivals are showing as cancelled.

Posted by: SeattleRob | December 19, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Really picked up here in Silver Spring.... blowing a bit too. I want to go to bed but can't tear myself away from the window / the radar!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | December 19, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

I feel I should be hitting the sack too, but then I remember - for what? I am certainly not getting up early tomorrow, and it's so nice to gaze out the window and watch the snow falling at night.

Posted by: salf | December 19, 2009 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Is a secondary low really supposed to form, or is the current low supposed to strengthen as it comes up the coast?

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDevil1 | December 19, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Up late along with all the rest of you night-owls; watching the progress of this storm, it looks like maybe 2" to 3" so far out here in Ashburn. The condo complex where I live has been very proactive tonight -- a bobcat and a pickup truck with a plow have been making the rounds of the parking lots.

Posted by: natsncats | December 19, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Just hitting the 2-inch mark right now in Winchester. When I called NWS for my spotter report at 11:30, it was 1.25. Wonder if its further east than predicted?

Posted by: ValleyCaps | December 19, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

This storm is starting to get serious! At 12:57 this morning, I had about 2 inches of snow on the ground; at 1:42 a.m., that had moved up to 3.375 (3 and 3/8). That means a very robust snowfall rate of 1.8 inches an hour. Assuming we get at least 1 inch an hour until 7, there will already be 8 inches of snow on the ground in McLean, VA--and there will still be all day for accumulations to pile up!

I'm really not that experienced in meteorology, bkkwarlock and realclear, but if the NAM, Capitalweather and the NWS all seem confident that that low will form, I wouldn't worry too much. And if you do decide to get some sleep tonight, CapWX will likely fill you in (kind of a pun there) on how the low is doing.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 19, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Just a bit over 4" now in the City of Manassas. It's still coming down at a good clip.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Around 3-4 inches out there in Potomac. Just shoveled. Definitely worth it. Still hopeful to get out of IAD Sunday afternoon, but who knows. Forecast looks good so far. Will check back in the morning.

--Jamie Y (aka Weather Checker)

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | December 19, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

6 inches in NW DC - Tenleytown - 205am

Posted by: ctdavid1 | December 19, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Hi Jason and Gang! Had to walk/jog about 3 out of the five miles home in springfield due to two trucks that were stuck trying to go up icy hills. Exciting winter already! keep up the good work. James T.

Posted by: jtt3e | December 19, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Conservatively, 3.75" in B-dale DC. Well over 1.5/hr rate at the moment.

Posted by: checkypantz | December 19, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Good evening night crew! Can you believe this is my first real time in comments all day? Too much tweeting/facebooking/planning to get in. Great snow the last hour or so here in Arlington, really starting to pile up. And this is before it even gets going... A thing of beauty we have going on here.

Great pressure drops currently occuring off the NC coast, our low is really getting ready to explode here shortly. Anything else of note to report? Be sure to leave snow reports here in the comments for the time being, including location, time, and measurement. Also, any guesses on recent snowfall rates would be great as well.

Now, i'm off to figure out how to get my snowcam to take pictures automatically overnight.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Just finished a trip from Baltimore to Bethesda. I-95 was slow but okay; plenty of traffic so lanes were reasonably clear. The Beltway, however, was an altogether different story. Abandoned cars, no clear lanes, sputtering motorists, out of control minivans, etc. It was actually not too bad, but it was obvious there were quite a few who don't know how to drive in snow.

3+ inches thus far in Bethesda.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | December 19, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Bedtime report in mtns east of Front Royal:

5-6" accumulation, 20.8F

What started off as very fine snow that you couldn't see from insid, is getting just a bit heavier. I feel like I'm fairly well prepared.

Lots of comments tonight... some probably due to the historic event, also WaPo turned on the firehose with a prominent link to CWG. Welcome newcomers!

Posted by: spgass1 | December 19, 2009 2:10 AM | Report abuse

ctdavid1, are you sure? 6"?! If so, very impressive. Then again, I'm hearing that in isolated locations nearly 3"/hr rates of snowfall -- almost unheard of, *especially* for this area -- are occurring. Did you actually measure 6" or was that an eyeballing? (Don't mean to doubt you.) I'm stuck in Colorado, so I can't visually see what's going on...

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

So, you are still confident that we will see totals up to two feet? Lots of naysayers on here now.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

I left 18th & Penn NW at just after noon today to drive to Roanoke to pick up my daughter from college. Clear sailing on I-81 on the way down to about milepost 212 -- then the snow started. DC to Roanoke to Manassas, round trip, should have taken about 7 hours max, but took me 11 hours today. The roads in Roanoke were horrible. 81 was no picnic either -- we saw three flipped cars and untold numbers of others that had spun out. The good news is that I got my winter driving chops back quicker than I thought I would. I grew up in northern Indiana too but have been gone for about 30 years.

Posted by: lynnec | December 19, 2009 2:17 AM | Report abuse

at 2:22 on Dec 19, no, i'm not worried about the forecast right now. Folks concerned about it verifying should look no further than Charlottesville which is already under 15+ inches of snow. We aren't anywhere near the "heavy stuff" yet and are already seeing decent totals and good banding. Now, if i can just find a script to automate this webcam...

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Just took my dog outside in Old Town Alexandria. Snow was coming down real good. We have about 4 inches. My golden was having a blast romping around...

Posted by: tidalwave1 | December 19, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Adams Morgan/DC update, 2:25 am -- About 4 inches on most surfaces, 2-3 inches on roads, with snow falling at a moderate to heavy clip. The few cars out are having a really hard time getting around.

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks JJ.

Posted by: irish031 | December 19, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Just got in....Has to be at least 7-8 inches in North Stafford already.

Posted by: tjack55 | December 19, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Please check out my storm photos as I add them! This is all coming from McLean, right near the Fairfax-Arlington border.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 19, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

Columbia Heights, DC update. I just went out and measured about 4 inches on the ground. A little less on the roads. The snow is really coming down now here. Barometric pressure is now falling, too.

Posted by: otavio | December 19, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

@otavio

Looks like our part of DC is getting the storm in the same way/rate. Doesn't look too inviting from here on Ontario Rd!

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 2:34 AM | Report abuse

5" on front stoop in Fairfax City. Would probably measure more if I went out into the yard.

Posted by: dudster89 | December 19, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

A little over 4" and counting in Glover Park. Last band was nice, snow is very fluffy so far. The low looks great, Atlantic moisture just getting involved.. it should be coming to a near halt (slow north movement) over the coming period.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Almost 4 inches in Annapolis and coming down with a vengeance right now...

Posted by: DMTerp02 | December 19, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

6" on the grass here in Herndon, around 5" on the road.

Posted by: jpvs7n | December 19, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for all the posts; this should be my last one for the night. Went outside at 2:32 a.m. to measure snow, and found that the snow is still coming down at well over an inch an hour! Now 4.75 inches on the trusty old deck. 3 and 3/8ths were there at 1:42, meaning the snow has been falling at 1.5 inches an hour. I also happened to hear two planes taking off from Reagan.

Right now, I think the 5-9'' overnight forecast from the NWS was a little low. If we continue to get snow at this rate until 7, we'll be over 10 inches before the sun's even up. Do you realize how wild that is? At first, I was a little unsure of how these 16-24 inch forecasts would do, but now, I can easily see 20 inches happening.

I just know that a lot of families, whether poor, homeless, sick or suffering in some other way, are going to be hit hard by the storm. I feel a little guilty in my excitement for the snow; for me, a teenager over at my parent's house, I have no reason not to want snow. That's not the case for a lot of families, and I know this storm is going to be very tough for anyone who doesn't have a house right now. (Some shelters won't allow teenage youth in if they're not with a family.) It really makes you appreciate the tireless effort that charities like the Salvation Army, Martha's Table and the Capital Area Food Bank put in to helping those in DC who don't have the privilege of watching the snow from inside a cozy, warm house. May God bless those who will be out in the elements, and those who are out there helping them along the way. I know I still need to do my part.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 19, 2009 2:53 AM | Report abuse

@kburchfiel

What a great attitude to have! There's no guilt in enjoying the storm, but your holiday spirit says a lot about you, too. All things in perspective, eh?

Posted by: krosseel | December 19, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

3:00am in Bloomingdale: 5.0" 1000mB (down from 1006 at 2:00). Some fantastic icicles forming on the streetlights.

Posted by: checkypantz | December 19, 2009 3:05 AM | Report abuse

KBurchfiel, amen to what you just said. You bring up such a great point, in that the vast majority of us on this site are incredibly excited about this snow/storm, but there are many people in our community -- those who are much less lucky than we are, and likely suffering far more than we could understand -- who are significantly negatively affected by this storm and who will suffer from it. Thanks for saying that.

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 3:05 AM | Report abuse

North Georgetown now has a solid 4" on pavement - 6" if you measure in the grass. So it didn't start until after 8pm - but the ground was covered by 9:30, which I believe isn't that far off from my 5 to 7 pm guess (and perhaps a little closer than the CWG wiseguy who saw no problems until after 11pm - that didn't pan out so well for the cars stuck trying to get up the hill on Wisconsin Avenue by that time!) Easily running an inch+ an hour now. Cheers!

Posted by: manatt | December 19, 2009 3:06 AM | Report abuse

@krosseel,

I agree. I just came in from doing some nighttime snow photography. It's still coming down. I should be in bed by now, but this is too fun to watch! Oh, well.

I'm now looking at how much the low is intensifying off the NC coast. We'll see!

Posted by: otavio | December 19, 2009 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Germantown, Father Hurley exit (or just south of Weatherbug HQ)

0244 - 3.5 inches on sidewalk.

or,

0244 04010KT 0800 SN VV001 QNH2982INS

Posted by: wxsquid | December 19, 2009 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Update 1hr later:

Germantown/Exit 16

0344 - 5 in

or

0344 02013G24KT 0800 SN VV001 M04/M05 QNH2980INS

Posted by: wxsquid | December 19, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Webcam, automated pictures, every 5 minutes. Money in the bank. Will make a time-lapsed video once this is all done.

Now sleep for a few. Hold down the fort night owls, don't let the skeptics get you down. And if you feel unsure, really, look at the totals down in Richmond right now. Crazy rates dropping north of the city down there.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

It just took me 12 hours to drive from Blacksburg, VA (for Commencement Ceremonies) to McLean, VA. Blizzard conditions the entire time and VERY slow going on all roads, including 66 East Bound. Counted more than 75 accidents along the way. Glad I did not decide to stop in Harrisonburg and resume the drive tomorrow, looks like it is only going to get worse from here on out.

Posted by: HokieTerp | December 19, 2009 4:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey JJones :) I see why there are BZ.W'S(blizzard warnings) posted for Prince Georges/Anne Arundal Cond points S and E..... the recent radar is showing extremely heavy snow to the east of Quantico and south of Annapolis corridor (~4AM)

PS (well, at least ya got your SNOW ICON :)

Posted by: paulhershberg | December 19, 2009 4:10 AM | Report abuse

In terms of driving conditions, my boyfriend just drove his Tundra from Arundel Mills to Bowie (around 3am) and said there were overturned cars everywhere. I guess that's no surprise.

Posted by: wasteoftime2 | December 19, 2009 4:22 AM | Report abuse

4:15 in B-dale: 5.75", 1000 mB (pressure constant, about .6" per hour).

Posted by: checkypantz | December 19, 2009 4:24 AM | Report abuse

Prince William,
Trying to stay ahead of it. Better to shovel 6" evry few hours than 1-2+ feet all at once! No matter this (63) old lady is feeling it and will probably be home on Monday with -liberal leave- from my employer.

Posted by: Changeling461 | December 19, 2009 4:25 AM | Report abuse

82 degrees in Queensland Australia, some issues with Mossies and blue bottle jelly fish,but all in all quite pleasant.
From memory...bend from the knee,not the back when shoveling snow......cheers....and Merry Christmas

Posted by: aussiebones | December 19, 2009 4:40 AM | Report abuse

Germantown / Exit 16

0445 - 6 inches

Posted by: wxsquid | December 19, 2009 4:50 AM | Report abuse

Don't assume the interstates are clear. I just arrived back in Frederick from downtown DC via 270. It was a slow and steady 55 miles in 2.5 hours w/ many cars stuck along the way and some very icy conditions north of Germantown, through Urbana, and coming down into the Monocacy Valley south of Frederick. It was snowing like a banshee in some spots, and there was easily 6-8 inches in the driveway when I got home out near Gambrill Mountain. Be careful out there, assuming you actually need to go anywhere at all.

Posted by: gumbrinus | December 19, 2009 4:58 AM | Report abuse

The radar loop was briefly showing rain rather than snow. I can see by looking outside that this was just an error, but it raises the question in my mind, how does the radar differentiate between snow and rain?

Posted by: robperez1 | December 19, 2009 5:00 AM | Report abuse

@robperez1, great question -- and one I'd be happy to elaborate on further at some time when it's not so late, but radar uses algorithms to "determine" precipitation type, and it can vary depending on radar scheme. Think of it as only an estimation, at best. It can be snowing when radar "says" it's sleet or even rain, and vice versa. I noticed that brief flip, for lack of better words, over to rain -- *according to radar -- and it was probably just a bug in the tools/computer/algorithm that was computing the precipitation type. Does that help at all?

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 5:25 AM | Report abuse

5.5"in Odenton - 5:20am

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 5:26 AM | Report abuse

@CWG - are 16-24" totals still believed to be common place with higher totals possible? Especially out here in Odenton/Crofton":}

Posted by: snowlover | December 19, 2009 5:29 AM | Report abuse

Good morning everyone and CWG -

Delightfully reporting 8 inches in Fairfax Station (southern FFX County) as of 5:55 AM.

It's been a while since I've posted, hello to Jason (and crew) plus all the "veteran" CWG viewers/posters. What a pleasant way to end my semester...good thing I came back from school Thursday night (Long Island). This is absolutely historic! =)

Posted by: HomantheSnowman | December 19, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

this is a disaster for retailers.

Posted by: dem4evr | December 19, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Just so folks know...there is new a post up. Let's end this comment thread here and move on over here.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 19, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Ah, I'm jealous. I lived in Silver Spring for 35 years and always liked the big snow storms. Now I'm in Lexington, KY - a very nice and vibrant community but we only have about an inch of snow. Everything else yesterday was rain.

Posted by: Cookerhiker1 | December 19, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

4 wheel drives, call your local hospital, see if they need help with essential personnel

Posted by: dem4evr | December 19, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

This storm is big enough to make even this ole "Maine-ah" sit up and take notice! Let's just hope we don't have a repeat of the disaster of 1996 when people were stranded for days.

Posted by: novatom1 | December 19, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm embarrassed by the Post's coverage of this storm, and ashamed to admit that I had to go to the Times' website for a professional wrap on weather-related news. Their story points out that Saturday is usually one of the busiest shopping day of the holiday season; and that the storm has national political implications because of the healthcare debate. Just because the snow is falling everywhere in shovelfuls, doesn't mean the reporting has to be piled so deep it doesn't tell a story.

Posted by: RossPhx | December 19, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Hi Washingtonians! Want you to know that your safety and security is of the utmost importance to all of us in the hinterlands. Do us all a favor and stay home for the next couple of weeks. Most of you have enough annual and sick leave accumulated to deal with it and the country will be a lot better off if you just stay home.

p.s. this especially applies to all the people in Congress.

Posted by: magellan1 | December 19, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Josh - looking forward to your elaboration.

Posted by: robperez1 | December 19, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

What a great holiday gift!! Snow for the holidays!! Not to many around can remember when that happened last. The city looks like a scene out of a Charles Dickens movie with all of the snow on the victorian houses. Just beautiful!!

Posted by: local200 | December 19, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Looks like DC is really getting some snow - Impressive! Here in Singapore - 85f and overcast - the pool is a little chilly from the earlier thunderstorm. Enjoy the winter wonderland!

Posted by: Parawell | December 19, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Hello snow bunnies! I just got back from a food run. Whole Foods in Idyllwood Plaza is closed so they all may be closed. We went to the Giant Food instead. Route 7 between Tysons Corner and Broad Street is extremely slow going, and people are starting to spin out. Take it slow and let's be careful out there.

Posted by: TVDIVA | December 19, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

About 10-11 inches so far in Arlington.

Folks better go out and shovel their cars and walks now -- and again in a couple of hours and again after that.

If they wait, it is all going to turn to ice and will be impossible to clear until Tuesday or Wednesday probably.

Posted by: ooyah32 | December 19, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Dangerous roads do not stop people from shopping.I work at Fair Oaks mall and there customers who have been out on the roads with their kids to shop.If you do not need to be out stay put at home

Posted by: leatherstorefo | December 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Logan Circle Whole Foods is open for those who need to get some food in the hood.

Posted by: local200 | December 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

MAN! WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS HERE IN NW DC, IN GLOVER PARK-I CAN'T SEE THE TREES ANYMORE PAST MY WINDOW-JUST A WHITE SHEET OUT THERE NOW!

GO AWAY SNOW-I WANT OUTTA HERE!

Posted by: arrabbiato | December 19, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This is the one place on the entire site where I have found anything posted less than an hour old, and it's buried. On the Twitter, the latest post is two hours old.
Get the comments up to the minute and accessible. Two hours ago doesn't do any good in a snowstorm -- unless the Post just wants everyone to watch TV instead of looking online at washpost.

Posted by: kls1 | December 19, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

12.5" in McLean.

Posted by: elizestrada | December 19, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

re: above Wait I see current comments are on weathergang tweet and old ones on drgridlock. My bad. How do you know which tweet is which?

Posted by: kls1 | December 19, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful sunny day here in Sarasota. About 68 or so. We'll be mixing our gin and tonics at 5 and will be in the spa by 6. Friends coming over to join us for the spa and bar-b-que after. Grilling salmon tonight. Also grlled corn-on-the-cob, salad, etc. Wine also. Cigars and brandy on the lanai after.

Merry Christmas to all you Northern Virginian's. And to all of you on the other side of the Potomac well, hmmm..., never mind. vBg

Formerly from Fairfax I remain;
Sincerely
RC

Posted by: rickcremer | December 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain why the Kennedy Center hasn't canceled its performances today??? Seriously, everything is at a standstill and there's no way most people can get to the theatre and yet they won't cancel shows.

Clearly the Kennedy Center is more interested in making money than the safety of its staff or patrons.

Posted by: fenwayforever | December 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MikeLicht | December 19, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

12+ inches in Herndon/Reston and it's coming down fast and furious!

Posted by: whoopass | December 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Mt Vernon Square here, adjacent to the new Convention Centre.....we easily have 18" of snow in the courtyard of my apartment building at this moment....and it keeps changing; one moment it's falling gently down,the next its coming down so fast and heavy it makes the view across the courtyard a white blurr....

Posted by: jesabol | December 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. Up here in usually snowbound Rcohester and Buffalo we don't have any. If you need plows give us a call. Pats at Bills tomorrow.Driving 70 miles to Buffalo. No problem. Good luck from the not-so-frozen north.

Posted by: bobtich | December 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

10 inches here in Centreville, The furniture on the back deck is disappearing in the snow! I love it. It’s Saturday, don’t have to work, have food, beer and am watching the news and reading. It don’t get any better – unless the power goes off………

Posted by: mjcc1987 | December 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse