The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 01/ 4/2010

Ann is off to Antarctica

By Ann Posegate

* The cold keeps coming: Full Forecast | Static cling season *

Over the next several weeks, I will be creating a series of posts about some of the most important science in the world ... the science of Antarctica. From Jan. 5-12, I will be reporting live from the world's coldest, driest and windiest continent. Six other journalists and I have been selected by the National Science Foundation to investigate weather, climate and environmental science research going on there and communicate this information through photos, videos, content and commentary. Over the coming week, we'll be visiting the coastal McMurdo Station, the geographic South Pole, the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the Dry Valleys (the itinerary is subject to change based on weather conditions).

ann-arctica1.jpg

Please feel free to post comments and inquiries in response to my posts. I look forward to communicating with you about Antarctic science!

By Ann Posegate  | January 4, 2010; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Winter: The season of static cling
Next: PM Update: A few flurries and still cold

Comments

That sounds really exciting! I hope you have a safe and exciting trip. I also hope that you'll be able to sleep at night, given the length of the nights there at this time.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | January 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

it feels like antarctica here - although i'm sure it's actually much colder there. have fun!

Posted by: madisondc | January 4, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Man, some people have all the luck (and fun)!

Good luck! and am looking forward to all of your posts and (hopefully) write-up after it is all over.

Interesting fact: Antarctica is a desert. It receives on average less than 8" of rain (snow) a year.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | January 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Sounds awesome!

Posted by: nlcaldwell | January 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I love that they have to explain that people must wear closed-toe shoes. Is someone going to Antartica in some open-toed pumps or flip-flops?

Posted by: ah___ | January 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Is that you in the picture?

What a hottie!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | January 4, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@madisonDC -

Believe it or not you are not too far off. Remember, Antarctica is the SOUTH pole, which means right now they are in the heart of their warm season.

Assuming Ann is going to McMurdo Staion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMurdo_Station), it may not be all that cold there really! http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/AYXX0010?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_business

Of course, McMurdo is located I believe on the peninsula - were she to venture into the interior at all, it would be considerably colder.

Posted by: jahutch | January 4, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Of course, I apparently can't read. The geographic South Pole, which Ann will also be visiting, will be MUCH colder.

Posted by: jahutch | January 4, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

That is so fabulous! I have always wanted to go to Antarctica, but I don't really have the necessary skills for research. Guess I'll have to save up for one of those fancy cruises.

Can't wait to read about it!

Posted by: dinergirl1 | January 4, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Ann, congratulations on your selection for this trip! Have a great time, and stay safe and warm. I'm looking forward to your Antarctic posts; I myself have always been an Arctic dreamer, but am fascinated by the conditions at the other pole.

Posted by: --sg | January 4, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Have a safe trip.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | January 5, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Ooo! Sounds like fun! Cold fun, but...

Posted by: MKoehl | January 5, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse