The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 01/15/2010

Arctic air sunrise at the Tidal Basin

By Kevin Ambrose

* Thawing out; Sunday rain: Full Forecast | What makes a blizzard? *

jeffersonsunrise_1_9_10_std.jpg
Sunrise Saturday morning at the Tidal Basin.

I made a trip to the Tidal Basin early on Saturday morning to shoot the sunrise, a day after the latest clipper storm system dropped an inch or two of snow on the area and Arctic air began flooding into our region. The Tidal Basin was covered with ice and snow, small snow drifts about 6" deep were scattered on the hillsides.

I set up my tripod on the edge of the Tidal Basin trail, facing the Jefferson Memorial, and photographed from dawn until sunrise. It's mornings like these where you realize there really is a lot of time between dawn and sunrise. My toes became quite cold as I stood there waiting for sunrise as the ice-cold wind blew across the open landscape.

Keep reading for more photos from my sunrise photo shoot.

jeffersondawn_1_10_10_std.jpg
The Jefferson Memorial at dawn.

Ultimately, the sunrise colors Saturday morning were not too impressive. Arctic air in our region is often characterized by dry and clear weather, which does not give the best sunrise colors. Fortunately, there was just enough cloud cover on the eastern horizon to give some color and definition to the sky, and the snow and ice on the Tidal Basin provided for a unique setting that is rarely seen in Washington.

tidalbasinsunrise_1_9_10_std.jpg
A wide view of the Tidal Basin ice shortly after sunrise.

By Kevin Ambrose  | January 15, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: The thaw continues, then Sunday rain
Next: CWG turns 2! Some feedback for us weather folks?

Comments

This is why I will always think my home town is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Posted by: greyK | January 15, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, the colors may not have been neon-level intense, but against the snow the pale colors are quite beautiful and appropriate.

For the cold toes, may I recommend Timberland wool or Smartwool socks? I sail in them during winter.

Posted by: --sg | January 15, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Kevin,
Once again you have captured the beauty of Washington against its weather background. Beautiful pictures

Posted by: Smparry | January 16, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the comments. I'll try the wool socks next time.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 17, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse