The new Washington
Posted at 1:25 PM ET, 01/23/2010

Flash Flood Watch Sunday afternoon & night

By Jason Samenow

* Reprieve from rain today, showers develop tomorrow: Full Forecast *

From the National Weather Service:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF MARYLAND...VIRGINIA AND NORTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA.

* FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY MORNING

rain-pot-jan2409.gif
Rainfall potential for Sunday and Monday. Purple shade indicates at least 2". Image courtesy National Weather Service Hydrometeorological Prediction Center.

* A COLD FRONT WILL APPROACH THE AREA SUNDAY AFTERNOON. RAINFALL AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 1" PER HOUR WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. FLASH FLOOD GUIDANCE IS LOW - AS LITTLE AS 1" IN AN HOUR OF RAIN COULD CAUSE CREEKS AND STREAMS TO GO OUT OF THEIR BANKS.

* RAINFALL TOTALS APPROACHING 2" WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.

Emphasis added in bold text

By Jason Samenow  | January 23, 2010; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  Floods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: A brief reprieve from the rain
Next: Forecast: Heavy rains and gusty winds tonight

Comments

Too bad it's not snow.

Posted by: bdeco | January 23, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I second that.

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 23, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

If interested, I shot a short video today of the aftermath of the recent mixed-precip event. Our road is already muddy in spots so I imagine it will be pretty nasty Monday morning. Good thing I didn't bother washing the cars I guess.

Current temp: 32.2

Posted by: spgass1 | January 23, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Updated rainfall potential map seems to diminish the precipitation somewhat...to aoa 1.25 inches...still 10-15 inches of potential snow foregone.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 23, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Bombo, what does aoa stand for?

I was driving and listening to wtop's ron riley and he was calling for 2.5 to 3 inches! It's feast or famine around here. No rain for a while then 2" in a 24 hr period.

Posted by: jojo2008 | January 23, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

aoa = at or about

Posted by: pjdunn1 | January 23, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, the rain will hold off while I am out looking at houses, but I doubt it. I will have to trudge through the rain like i did last Sunday again....

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | January 23, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FusilliJerry1

-------------------------------------------

It's a good opportunity to see if the roof or basement leaks! :)

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 24, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse