The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:40 PM ET, 01/30/2010

Impressive snow to gradually diminish

By Dan Stillman

Accumulations around 4-7" common

* Winter Storm Warning for entire metro area | Accumulation so far *
* Winter Weather Advisory well N&W (see map) *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* The storm on Twitter (#dcsnow) *
* News, traffic & storm impacts: Local home page | Report snow totals*

Snow accumulates in D.C. this afternoon. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

The back edge of what was moderate to sometimes heavy snow is now exiting to the east. A trailing area of lighter snow will continue to hang around during the early evening, but most accumulation should be over with from around 7 p.m. onward.

As of late afternoon, accumulations across the immediate metro area were generally around 4-7", and that includes points north of D.C. where pre-storm forecasts had been in the dusting to around 3" range. The biggest winners have been to the south, including reports of around 8'" in parts of St. Mary's and Stafford counties as well as around Fredericksburg. Further south, around a foot of snow has fallen in the Richmond area.

Stay tuned for one more update later this evening. What about tomorrow and into early next week? See the forecast here.

Comment below with your thoughts and storm reports. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Dan Stillman  | January 30, 2010; 5:40 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Updates, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Powdery snow piles up, ends this evening
Next: Sizeable snowstorm departing D.C. area

Comments

Do you think schools will be open on Monday?

Posted by: celestun100 | January 30, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

^it will depend on thaw/refreeze and ability of plows..

50/50 shot being closed

100% delayed

Posted by: panthersny | January 30, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I just got back from a photo shoot and measured the snow on the hood of my truck. We have almost 6" of snow here in Oakton, VA. It's still snowing lightly now.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 30, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Just over 5 inches (measured) out here in Lake Linganore. The snow is steady, but not as heavy.

Posted by: JSTF | January 30, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I see people are sqawking at various weather forecasters for under-predicting the accumulations. I don't know why because those same people drive the same way whether there's one inch or ten inches. Bottom Line: the ones who complain about the accumulations are the ones to be wary of!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: suntan | January 30, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Very light snow at 17 degrees with gusty winds. Snow accumulation of 5.5 inches.
If I recall correctly, back at the beginning of the winter CWG made a general forecast of a snowier season than normal. I'm sure someone can quickly access the actual posting if they care to & post the link for exact wording.
Given what has happened with the last 2 storms, perhaps for Feb forecasts might factor that overall trend into the percentages?
It is bitter out there. Don't go out unless you have to.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 30, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Columbia Heights West...estimated 6 inches. There could be 2-3 hours of light snow or flurries.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 30, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

9.75 measured in Spotsy, and added to CWG storm total tracker

Posted by: panthersny | January 30, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

@ JerryFloyd1
"As for Jason's sojourn on the beach, there will be more snows and I'd imagine he's kicking back and enjoying the balmy breezes. Slogging around in six inches of fluffy snow and 17 degree temps is for us transplanted Floridians and a few other diehards."
- So funny! In my case, truer words haven't been spoken! (today at least). I have been out three times (walking, not driving :)
I was just telling a neighbor how lucky I was I decided not to go to a beach wedding back home (S. Florida) this weekend because I got to enjoy this weather instead. He looked at me like I had just eaten my own head.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 30, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

As for forecast accuracy, somewhere in the Amazon basin a very winded butterfly is cackling between gasps for breath.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | January 30, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Just plowed. Somewhere near 5-6 inches in Ijamsville. It was bitterly cold, as JTSF from Lake Liganore noted. Very pretty snow this afternoon. Now we need a bit of sun am, to promote blacktop melting.

Posted by: drc231 | January 30, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

6.25 inches in Brookland, NE DC

Posted by: ShawnDC | January 30, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Just about a mile west of AAFB, here in Camp Springs, I measured about 6.2 inches on the picnic table on my deck. Real fluffy and powdery, the kind of snow I experienced up in Minnesota. It's still coming down lightly, but does not seem to be accumulating.

Posted by: johnnierat | January 30, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Snow has blown and drifted so much out here that we didn't get an accurate measurement, but we're putting it between 5 and 6 inches in New Baltimore. Still some flakes coming down ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 30, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Snowfall rate has tapered off and flakes look small in Silver Spring. (really as of an hour ago)

Posted by: Murre | January 30, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, you guys called it before anyone else and it's been a blast following the storm with you all. Still lightly coming down in Falls Church w/about 5" on my patio. Looking forward to the next one! Maybe late next week???

Posted by: Bworl | January 30, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Joe Bastardi of Accuweather was predicting 4-8 inches in DC with temps in the teens 5 days ago. One of the most rigorous meteorologists. Admittedly he waffled a bit on his prediction on Wed/Thurs, but Friday afternoon he was again hammering away that 4-8 inches was on the way whilst the NWS and local forecasters were barely saying an inch.

Posted by: aveimperator | January 30, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a decent band about to come through D.C. Upper energy still swinging through could add a bit to totals.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 30, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

If you look at the NWS Enhanced Mosaic Radar, there seems to be some soundings coming back from WVA moving north to northeast. Is this more snow or an illusion?

Posted by: ntrlsol | January 30, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Looking at Weather Channel radar this morning around 10:30, I noticed a slight but definitive shift of precipitation more toward the northeast, as opposed to the west-east drift that most weather services had been predicting. I think It was about 11:30 AM that the winter weather advisory changed to a winter storm warning.

My sense is that the bubble of cold high pressure air didn't budge and that the low pressure system basically wrapped around it as it moved east - thus the slight shift to the NE.

I would be interested to know what the Weather Gang thinks about my admittedly neophyte analysis.

By the way, you guys do a great job - your real time blog is better and more flexible in regard to changing conditions than any information (other than current time radar) that the Weather Channel provides.

Posted by: MillPond2 | January 30, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing pretty in Manassas...about 6 inches+ in the wide open areas.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 30, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

The "Daily Greg's" final report for the CWG on the "ShockStorm 2010" -

Note: A tribute to Kim Martucci included.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | January 30, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Snow has picked up again from a near full stop about an hour ago. Steps that were swept off then are all covered over again.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 30, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

said it would come north . we seem to keep being where we need to be for descent snow totals and for banding. Whenever a tropical system stikes are areas coast we have good winters for snow above average. last summer a system hit the areas coast. Although it technically was not named. That system certainly had the characteristics on radar and its overall effects were of tropical storm force. The last time that type of system struck our areas coast was 2003.That year was our last good winter storm. Overall we average a descent snowstorm every 5-6 years, we're in year 7 now. We were overdue and then there was DEC 18. And now there is today. I felt this winter was going to be good and its always amazing to watch the overall progresion of these systems. Especially in winters like this.

Posted by: jmc732msstate | January 30, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@ntrlsol, Yeah, I'm also wondering about that snow in WV, southwestern Va, and NE Tennessee? Is it lake effect wrap around snow that the mountains will comb? It shows up clearly on both NWS Mosaic and the static Intellicast radar.

@snowlover2, I only went for two walks today, coz' I know I'm gonna' be out in it tomorrow. We're gonna' have another good shot maybe late next week and I'm hoping for at least a 30" DCA snow season.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 30, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

ntrlsol, JerryFloyd1,
i saw that "disturbance" over wva coming our way too! what to make of that?!?! looks like one last bonus shot for someone.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 30, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Snow is picking back up in G'town. I wonder if that moisture to our SW will curve around at just the right arc to give us snow all night long. We've got about 6.5" of snow at Volta Park. By the way, CWG Team - the site has been playing havoc with my browser for the past couple storms, taking forever to load, etc. Just in case you collect data on that sort of thing.

Posted by: fleeciewool | January 30, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

The biggest winner? Could you please speak unambiguously?

Posted by: henry6 | January 30, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Fairly successful sledding outing in Columbia, I'd say wear at 5 or so inches.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 30, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Once the GOES-R satellites begin launching in 2015, meteorologists will have over 20 times MORE information than present-day computer models provide. CWG...you guys ROCK! We love the commentary and the play-by-play analysis as the weather unfolds.
Onto the next storm!

Posted by: mwelsh | January 30, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

i dont think its stopped once here all day, though its let up once or twice, its still snowing at a nice rate here in madison va. pushing close to 5 1/2 inches

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | January 30, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your snow reports!
Can you believe how steadily cold we've stayed--in the teens! ALL DAY

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 30, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Just as impressive is that we have had steady snow all day!!

Posted by: snowlover | January 30, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

It's been just over 10 hours since the first few flurries began flying in Laytonsville. At 3:30pm we had 4.5 inches, and now just a smidge over 6 inches. Snow still falling, but not as heavy as when all of those heavy bands set up from Leesburg to just East of us. Looks like more bands coming in later, too. WOW. I was sure I was going to be a spectator to this event. My preschooler is so glad I was wrong.

Posted by: dprats21 | January 30, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Just walked through downtown Silver Spring for dinner. Measured 5, 5.5, and 6 inches in various locations, so I'll go with 5.5 here, and it's still snowing!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | January 30, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Big kudos to CWG for getting this one right! You upped the snow totals before a lot of other media outlets. I discovered you by accident, and now I am officially a devotee.

About six inches down here in Woodbridge - not to mention 16 bone-chilling degrees - and we've still got moderate snow coming down.

Posted by: teezee210 | January 30, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

CWG generally does a good job, so I'm not going to rant at you guys, but I am COMPLETELY DISGUSTED with TV forecasters who keep saying that the storm is "winding" down", "exiting the region", and that the precip will "come to an end soon". It is NOT winding down. Since 5 PM (and it is now going on 9 PM), the southern end of the precip shield over north central VA has gone NOWHERE. It just keeps reforming ovee the same area, over and over again. At this rate, it won't be out of here until (maybe) well past midnight. (I'm in Vienna, BTW, near Kevin in Oakton)

This is the third major snowstorm in a row, this winter, that the exact same thing happened on the S end of the precip shield, and the THIRD storm in a row that the TV people said it was "ending" and then kept up for several more hours.

To put it mildly, I am disgusted. I know this is a difficult area to forecast from, but these guys have GOT to learn to start looking at the damn radar loops before thay make these statements. I've lived in this area since the 1960's (and worked for NOAA/NWS myself), and I've never seen such absent-mindedness.

Again, I'm not carping on you CWG guys...you do a good job. But this buisness of the TV people calling an end to the precip when it is NOT ending has got to stop. I'm at the point where it's just not worth even trying to listen to them anymore.....I do better judging it myself.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 30, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

suntan...the problem is not complaining about TV forecasters under-predicting the totals, but that they simply don't look at the radar loops before they say that the precip is winding down.....see my previous post just above. There is little excuse for that kind of absent-mindedness.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 30, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax County Schools were already closed Monday for teacher workday.

Posted by: BDVienna | January 30, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I was about to post a final snow total of 6.25" in Oakton, but I just noticed we have a nice snow burst going now with large flakes flying. I'll measure one more time tonight.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 30, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

There's still more to come, Kevin. There's still a batch to the west....we're probably going to have this stuff around till at least midnight.....maybe later (see my earlier posts)

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 30, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse