The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 01/22/2010

Update: Sleet N & W may slide south

By Jason Samenow

Just wet roads in immediate metro region

* Saturday sun, Sunday rain: Full Forecast into next week *
* Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall | Traffic | Get There *

Another batch of mixed precipitation has developed over the region as an upper level disturbance pivots through the region. Over much of the immediate metro area (inside the beltway), the precipitation is in the form of rain. As you head north and west outside the beltway, the rain mixes with and gradually changes to sleet. Some snow has also been reported around Frederick county in Maryland.

Through mid-afternoon, light precipitation will continue. The precipitation type forecast remains challenging, but where it's sleeting now precipitation may mix with or change to snow. Places getting rain may experience a changeover to sleet (with just a slight chance of some snow mixing in) before the precipitation tapers off. With temperatures holding in the mid-to-upper 30s in the immediate metro region, only wet roads are expected (with just a 30% chance of a coating of sleet or snow, mainly on grassy areas). North and west of the beltway, a light slushy accumulation of sleet and a little snow is possible with amounts increasing the further north and west you go.

See our full forecast through the weekend into next week.

*** Winter Weather Center ***
Closings/Delays | Traffic | Metro | Flights | Amtrak | OPM | Roads: DC/MD/VA
Radar: Latest regional radar shows move-
ment of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.
Temperatures: Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.
View/Submit Photos | Ultimate Overview of Current Conditions: Weather Wall

By Jason Samenow  | January 22, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Wintry mix ending in the afternoon
Next: PM Update: Drying out, but not for long

Comments

The Sterling radar makes it look like you guys are going to wash away or something, it looks like almost solid red from Stafford to Rockville. What's going on up there? Is that all extremely heavy rain or is the radar just detecting sleet and making it look worse than it is?

BTW -- It's going to be 70 degrees and sunny down here today. =P

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 22, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm not in the heaviest band but it looks like some heavier stuff is headed south in my direction. Already nasty.

Posted by: spgass1 | January 22, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Last couple of frames on the radar loop seem to show the upper level disturbance weakening. As predicted, looks like it may be outta here early this afternoon.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 22, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

It is sleeting here near Fair Oaks Mall. I am not sure why they dropped the advisory in Fairfax.

Posted by: barbnc | January 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Sleet in tysons. nothing accumulating of course

Posted by: jimfergusonj | January 22, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@barbnc

The Winter Weather Advisory was never in effect for Fairfax County, as surface temps there are expected to stay too warm for any frozen precip to cause much trouble.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | January 22, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Rain/sleet/snow grossness falling in McLean as of right before noon. I hate this kind of winter storm more than anything. At least we have a nice day tomorrow to look forward to after all this clears out?

Posted by: HokieTerp | January 22, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Manassas VA - Had a burst of monster snowflakes here in PW county, and just like that it's over. Currently fine "wintry mix" coming. down.....ewwwwww.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 22, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

it's been sleeting for an hour, now it has turned to snow. The precip is sticking on the grass, cars and deck, haven't been down to the road yet .... temp holding at 33.

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Noontime update: Precip lull right now with foggy conditions. Low diurnal range so far today: Lo 27.9, Hi 29.8

Posted by: spgass1 | January 22, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Lol, so I leave my house in Reston, with no rain at 7:30AM. I run into rain near Dranesville, then it's wet in Sterling (At the DMV), but not raining. I spend forever there, only to find out that I need to hit up another place for written documentation (To renew my license), and as I walk and drive between places, I go from completely dry conditions, to being inundated in rain, to being pelted with sleet (All within an hour). Then I run into a downpour just down the street from my home (While at a business), but when I finally make it back to the house this afternoon, it's all dry just as it started out when I left there this morning lol.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | January 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Here in Olney there wasn't much precipitation at all.

Posted by: celestun100 | January 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Manassas VA - Sun trying to break out, with light to moderate sleet/rain.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | January 22, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Mix of everything this morning in Darnestown, ground was getting white. Sleeting and snowing pretty hard when I left for work, but it stopped abruptly just west of Olney. Sun is peeking out now where I work in Columbia.

Posted by: curtmccormick | January 22, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse