The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 PM ET, 01/29/2010

Update: Saturday snow chance solidifying

By Jason Samenow

* Winter Weather Advisory tomorrow for D.C. & points south (map) *
* Winter Storm Warning far southern suburbs (map) *
* Outside now? Temps, radar, winds & more: Weather Wall *

Confidence is growing that tomorrow will be a snowy day for much of the metro region. Based on the latest data we're reviewing, the snow totals we provided in the map in our previous post may be a little conservative. For example, we anticipate in the 2-4" band over the metro region, totals will probably be closer to 4" than 2". In fact, in the National Weather Service is now calling for 3-5" of snow in the region covered by the Winter Weather Advisory (see map).

The snow will likely start between 6 and 9 a.m. south of the metro region (from Charlottesville to Fredericksburg, Va.) and from mid-to-late morning in the metro region. Check back tomorrow for in-depth coverage and updates.

By Jason Samenow  | January 29, 2010; 10:45 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Accumulation forecast on the rise
Next: Forecast: Cloudy and cold with powdery snow

Comments

I like the trend....

Posted by: mmurphy70 | January 29, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Yay! 4 inches I can live with. It's not 20 (grumble-grumble), but 4 is nice.

Posted by: ennepe68 | January 29, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Sue Palka is calling for 3-6" in the winter weather advisory areas, and hinting it could go higher. I'm planning on being at Whole Foods at 8 a.m. tomorrow to try to beat the hordes.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | January 29, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Bob Ryan sez 5" for Washington. I like the trend from what we were talking about this morning!

Posted by: dudster89 | January 29, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Doug Hill/WJLA has 2-4 in the metro area

Posted by: jpl1019 | January 29, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

(SNOW!!!!) Be still my heart...

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 29, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Yay!! Maybe more, please?? *snow dance* *snow dance* Loved snowpocalypse-that was a dream come true for a CA girl like me! I didn't grow up in snow, and last winter was such a bust, that every time we get snow now I get so excited! The more snow the better!! I don't have a car or have to shovel (sorry for those of you that do) so have to depend on public transportation, my own two feet, or people my building hires to shovel the snow. Yay for snow as long as I can manage to get out of my building!!

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | January 29, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting a little concerned. This is EXACTLY what happened right before last month's blizzard. Snow forecast totals, initially just a coupe of inches, kept getting bumped up more and more as the low got closer. Already they are calling for a foot or more in southern VA-northern NC. And that may not take into account what happens when this already strong storm system hits the really warm waters of Cape Hatteras and blows up even more, while turning slightly northeast.

I'm not necessarily preciting a massive storm here as bad as in December, but there seem to be some eerie parallels here.....a strong dome of very cold, dry Arctic air at the surface, a LOT of overruning moisture, and a deep low coming towards us, possibly strengthening even more off the coast.

If we DO get a repeat of last month (and, while not certain, I don't think we can rule it out)....well, you heard it here.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 29, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Although not the way I predicted it, my forecast for DC of 5"-8" might not be that far off!!!

Posted by: snowlover | January 29, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

This reminds me of an interview you guys did back in November for Washingtonian. Dan, you predicted mostly weekend snows and one federal day off. You should give yourself a pat on the back.

Posted by: SpeedLimit186000 | January 29, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

"I'm getting a little concerned. "....why? Snow is good.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 30, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, jeepers! Glad I stopped for milk/wine/etc tonite! I already knew it was going to snow b/c our Pinewood Derby is skedded for 9 a.m. ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | January 30, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting concerned about the unanimity of opinion that snow is coming. The models have been shifting back and forth from snow north (us) to snow south etc. Could it shift back tomorrow morning. Remember the DC dreaded snow/freezing rain/rain "line" that always seems to bedevil the forecasters? Is anyone calling for no snow at all for us?

Posted by: jojo2008 | January 30, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

But still only 1-1/2 inches for Montgomery County?

Posted by: celestun100 | January 30, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

jojo2008 I would guess from the radar that DC and south would get some snow. and, obviously it is too cold for rain, so you must mean you think there is a possibility of just cold and dry.

Posted by: celestun100 | January 30, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

People need stop worrying about models now and just look at the radar. Snow is coming, whether you like it or not, and its going to be lots of it.

Posted by: morris4903 | January 30, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I am going to call it a night, but where is the Snow Lover's Crystal Ball?

Posted by: celestun100 | January 30, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I love snow - the more the better! But I'm a little torn... I have two social engagements tomorrow night, one a birthday party for two friends that - I kid you not - was rescheduled from the Snowpocalypse...

You know how women don't get older after they reach 29? Maybe someone upstairs is trying to tell that to my friends... ;P

Posted by: MKoehl | January 30, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

@MKoehl -- I'm torn, too; there's a surprise 40th birthday party on Saturday for my sister in law that I hope doesn't get derailed by the weather!

Posted by: natsncats | January 30, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I just want to make sure that every Washingtonian knows their job tomorrow when that first inch of snow falls. As always, get out your car, drive to the beltway, and promptly abandon it. If possible, do this with at least two cars if not three. Last but not least, abandon your car in the center lane and not in the side lanes.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | January 30, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

i think this could be big bigger than 4 inches big.

Posted by: cjespn | January 30, 2010 2:49 AM | Report abuse

I shoulda bought more stock in toilet paper, milk, and egg companies yesterday

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | January 30, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse

First radar returns are over DC! Now the wait for snow to reach the ground. I'll guess 6".

Posted by: manatt | January 30, 2010 4:05 AM | Report abuse

This "global warming" is rough....

Posted by: paulann1 | January 30, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse