The new Washington

* Winter Storm Watch Tues.-Wed. for most of metro area (map) *
* Watch out for ice dams |Measuring Snowmageddon's depth *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

snowmageddon2-gfs.gif
This morning's 12z Global Forecasting System model simulating snow over the region Wednesday morning and very strong winds (depicted by the closely packed lines of equal pressure or isobars in black).

The new data we're analyzing portrays a rather ominous picture for the region, beginning tomorrow afternoon. Two areas of low pressure, one from the north and one from the south, will likely merge off the mid-Atlantic coast developing into a very powerful storm Tuesday night and Wednesday. Though this storm will not have the same amount of moisture as Snowmageddon, models suggest a deeper storm (i.e. more intense meteorologically) which will pose a significant risk of high winds and additional power outages.

The probability of potentially dangerous conditions is highest north and east of the beltway and especially as you head towards Baltimore and Philadelphia. However, even our southern suburbs may experience periods of heavy snow and wind.

FREQUENT QUESTIONS

When will the snow start? Between mid-day and mid-afternoon tomorrow.

When it will end? Probably around late afternoon Wednesday -- later north and east.

How much?: Our best bet is 5-10" in the metro region, but 8-14" as you head north and east towards Baltimore. South and southwest of the Fairfax County, 3-6" is most likely.

Could it be more or less? Yes. Double digit totals (10" or more) remain a possibility throughout the metro region (25% chance). By the same token, if the coastal storm forms too far north, lighter amounts from 1-5" or so might do it.

How bad will the winds be? By very late Tuesday night and into Wednesday, sustained winds may reach 25-35 mph, with higher gusts. Assuming there is falling snow, this could create blizzard conditions.

By Jason Samenow  | February 8, 2010; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  Alerts, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The incredible output of Snowmageddon
Next: Next storm puts snowfall record in reach

Comments

First?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

NWS has an update:

WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW. THERE IS
A GOOD LIKELIHOOD OF SNOW IN EXCESS OF 10 INCHES.

* TIMING...MID TO LATE AFTERNOON TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES NEAR FREEZING AT THE ONSET TUESDAY
AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S TUESDAY
NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

* WINDS...LIGHT SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS TUESDAY BECOMING NORTH-
NORTHWESTERLY 15 TO 25 MPH WEDNESDAY

Posted by: lll1424 | February 8, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe this. Downtown roads still are complete crap - and I'm sure the suburbs aren't any better.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't bode well for work tomorrow. Can't see anything less than a 2hr late arrival due to commute problems, only to likely have another early dismissal....

Posted by: ironmanjt | February 8, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Ice Age 2010

Posted by: allisondt | February 8, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the Charlottesville and western regions are probably too far south to see any major accumulations from this?

Posted by: weatherface | February 8, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/12/images/gfs_p60_060l.gif gfs gives us up to 18 inches of snow with a 12:1 ratio

Posted by: samdman95 | February 8, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If this pans out, I think DCA may see it's snowiest winter ever by Thursday morning!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

nononononononononoooooooooooooo.....

i can't imagine how things are in the suburbs right now. i am fortunate enough to live in downtown bethesda so getting to work was not too much of an issue for me this morning (except for the infrequent trains). i want to fly south for the rest of the winter.

Posted by: nativetexan2 | February 8, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

AS much as I am a snow fan, I think I am starting to hate snow.....lol.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 8, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

unbelievable.. When will we have a Fedcast? :)

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 8, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

All snow? No mixing anticipated?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 8, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Based on this new data could anyone help me out by hazarding a guess as to whether BWI will be closed by 3PM Tuesday and what roads may be like late afternoon Tuesday between Baltimore and Hagerstown? Or, in fewer words, how soon is it likely to start in that area and how quickly will it get bad?

Love to get back to see Son (or daughter) of Snowmageddon, but not to see it from a bench at BWI!

Thanks for the great reporting and posting. It let us live Snowmageddon vicariously.

Posted by: dustygroundhog | February 8, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

What are the early predictions for the SchoolCast and FedCast tomorrow? I imagine the federal government will likely open, unless Metro service isn't restored yet. Thoughts?

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 8, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

This is crazy, but at least i got the t-shirt to remember it all :-)

Shovel On.

Posted by: matthewsnyder | February 8, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Nooooooo! *sob*

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 8, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

@jrodfoo

Ditto about the fedcast.

Is metro running above ground now?

Posted by: saiti34 | February 8, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Is that why it's still a "watch" and not a "warning" yet? When is the next set of models due in (which, one assumes, would give y'all a better picture of where the system will form)?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 8, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

For IAD Dulles. The 12Z NAM prints out 1.7in of Liquid. The 12Z GFS right around 1.4in of liquid. This is WEST of DC. 10 to 1 ratio thats 10 to 17 inches of snow @Dulles at the extreme. WEST of DC. Is anyone else seeing this?

Posted by: pseaby | February 8, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! Bring it.

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 8, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I am in shock...

Posted by: letitsnow | February 8, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

CWG,

Perhaps "snowmaggedon" should refer to the entire winter rather than to just one event...

Posted by: Steve_in_Cypress | February 8, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, where are the snow perverts now?? No "yays" or "OMG I'm so excited"s! Just worries about how debilitating all of this is to the region.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 8, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@Edward:

Outside of DCPS, I think the SchoolCast sits at 3.99 apples for the rest of the week for all major school districts in the area.

After '96 and '03, schools closed for 1-2 weeks. I don't see how this'll be any different with temps barely reaching above freezing for the next week and a foot of snow tomorrow.

Posted by: jpl1019 | February 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

yay! OMG i'm SOOO excited!

this "pervert" would love more snow!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 wrote, "If there's a positive, maybe this has killed off some of the Peter Pan complex inside of the snow perverts. It's not cute anymore now that you see the power outages, extreme danger to senior citizens, business losses, traffic deaths, etc."

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 8, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: if we get 12-16 inches or more snow, they are going to need to mobilize the Nat. Guard and a lot more military construction equipment to get things dug out.

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@saiti34

Metro is not running above ground yet. You can check http://wmata.com/ for updates. Bus service is also still veeerrrry limited.

Posted by: megamuphen | February 8, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The Baileys Crossroads firehouse situation is an issue in my area of Arlington. In addition I can't get to Ballston to transact business until Metrobus service picks up. Won't be getting to tonight's dance at Chevy Chase Ballroom due to Metro issues--no service to Pentagon from D.C.--it's either over the bridge or through the above-ground corridor around Arlington Cemetery. Trains are also 30 minutes apart.

Tomorrow's storm could affect my efforts to get to Ballston or to the Clarendon Ballroom [which doesn't like snow/ice cancellations. Last week there was a dance, but the attendance was low.]

Still haven't seen the Washington Post since Friday's paper.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 8, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Getting some reports that businesses with flat top roofs are closing/remaining closed so that crews can clear off heavy snowpack.
If you spend hours digging out to get to some specific place today, call ahead to make sure they are open!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 8, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pseaby | February 8, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I am such a snow pervert. This is the winter I dreamed of as a child. I remember 93, 96, 03 for the snow and 94 for the ice, this is really what I wanted when I was a school kid growing up around here.

Posted by: rocotten | February 8, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John

It's a watch because it's not expected to snow within the next 24 hours. Warnings may be issued around 3 p.m., I think.

Posted by: Rangwx1 | February 8, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

actually Mr. Q (correct me if I'm wrong CWG), while we are getting this kind of snowfall a ridge of high pressure over Greenland is bringing record warmth over that whole area. The ice caps are continuing at an alarming rate. Studies have shown that the polar bear could be gone before the century is over. Moose populations are declining rapidly in Minnesota and northern Michigan- all these studies point to a direct correlation to climate change as the culprit. Climate change shouldn't be a liberal issue. I'm sad that it is- it's affecting all of us. Sorry to go political on this post but this annoys me...

Posted by: BH99 | February 8, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

mr.q,
given our history, i appreciate the snow sculpture compliment from you earlier more than most...

you said,
"There is another positive. We don't have to suffer the constant barrage of catastrophic, man made, global warming posts either."

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

hey guys,

I think we may have to worry about some mixing with this storm. Not "worry" in the sense that it will keep totals down but "worry" in the sense that mixing could cause catastrophic roof and tree downing and subsequent power failures.

This winter is nuts

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

My subdivision has yet to see a single plow from this past storm. This is going to suck.

Posted by: gimmegreen | February 8, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

..ice caps are continuing to melt that is...

Posted by: BH99 | February 8, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Are we having fun yet?

Posted by: meta2 | February 8, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

So question: tomorrow early evening driving north up 81 from Roanoke to Staunton--a good idea or not?

I know Staunton/Augusta county is just outside the watch zone--is there any chance it could shift south?

Posted by: weatherface | February 8, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If we do in fact get a bunch more snow, grocery stores are not going to be able to get their big semi trucks in to restock the shelves. That is going to be bad news!

Posted by: allisondt | February 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

December was great, January sucked, and February has brought the snow back with a vengeance. I'd love to see more snow, as long as I can still hop on my flight to Vegas Thursday AM! Metro is still digging out equipment; can't imagine above ground trains running by tomorrow. Wouldn't that force OPM's hand? What a winter! Another 6-12 inches tomorrow followed by 10-15 days of high temps not getting out of the 30s. Wow!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 8, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Roads are still pretty bad here in Alexandria. Big trucks and SUVs with 4WD are doing alright, but small cars don't seem to be doing so well. It's going to be pretty nasty when this new storm rolls in, and NWS seems to have bumped our forecast up to 8"+.

Er, WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!...?

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 8, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

More is better.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 8, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@Rangwx1: Didn't the warning from this past weekend's storm go out a good 36 hours or so before the actual event? (I may be wrong, dunno.)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 8, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Snowpocalypse Now"

"If I say this hill is safe to ski, this hill is safe to ski!"

Posted by: wiredog | February 8, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I wrote, "We don't have to suffer the constant barrage of catastrophic, man made, global warming posts either."

My statement is not subjective. It is factually true. The last CWG column/post/article/whatever that was tagged "climate change" was January 20th. Yea!

Even though I wrote such a tiny sentence which I thought was simple to understand, other people manage to read/hear something entirely different than what I wrote.

BH99 responded with a full paragraph ranging from ice caps to moose to Greenland and to Michigan and Minnesota.

walter-in-fallschurch wrote, "ha! that's funny because i was just lamenting about how snow always brings out the "see, it's cold and snowing here at my house - so there can't be global warming" crowd....

How do you take my short factual statement and twist it into something entirely different?

Walter, your comment is not true. Please link to the comments where people wrote, as you put it, "see, it's cold and snowing here at my house - so there can't be global warming". I am curious to read this "crowd"('s) comments.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 8, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I should get to whole foods now and beat the urban hipsters at their own game.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Soooo lets just close down everything until spring.

Posted by: JTF- | February 8, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@megamuphen Thanks for the info.

I've been trying to clarify my understanding of what "above ground service suspended" actually means. Originally, I thought that this meant that metro ran along normal routes but just wouldn't stop at stations that are above ground (ala Arlington cemetery).

Now I'm under the impression that there aren't any trains coming to Pentagon City from the district (although metro is running just between Crystal City to Pentagon). Is this correct?

For someone who doesn't have a car, what options do I have for getting from the Pentagon City area back to the district (home)? I'm starting to feel like I'm trapped in the Commonwealth! I'm not sure what I'm going to do if Federal government starts again tomorrow and the metro still isn't working.

Posted by: saiti34 | February 8, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John

It may have. If it was, I'm guessing they bent their rules for a couple of reasons: 1. to impress upon the public how serious that system was, and, 2. as a result of their relatively high confidence with their forecast.

This forecast seems a bit trickier, though certainly things are trending towards a more serious event.

Posted by: Rangwx1 | February 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

it looks like the liquid equivalent in the c'ville area is in the .50 to .75 range and they are calling for snow...anyone have an answer as to why no WWA or WSW for our area? any thoughts appreciated.

Posted by: crozet | February 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@Rangwx1: Thanks. Makes sense.

I'm debating whether to make a run for the little shopping mart up the road from me now, or wait until tonight. My parking lot was just plowed about an hour ago.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 8, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I would like to humbly offer a Storm Name to follow Snowpocalypse and Snowmageddon.

Perhaps we could call the coming event Tues. pm "Snoverkill" ? What say you CWGers?

Posted by: outofsync | February 8, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

For God's sake, can we PLEASE leave political discussions out of CWG comment threads? One winter/storm doesn't indicate anything about global warming and climate change anymore than a few weeks of unusually high heat in the summer does. So knock it off, and please stick to discussions about the storm/forecast itself. There are plenty of other places where you can go and engage in a lively discussion about climate change.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't like being called anything with the term pervert standing alone, Kev29- but snowvert? I could be described as a snowvert :)

As far as the weather- que sera, sera- so I choose to look for the positive.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Kev29's comments. I'm sick of the snow (and the snow lovers wishing for another foot of it) and am hoping for a week or more of 45 degree, sunny days to melt most of it.

Posted by: misterbeauregard | February 8, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29

Why would we "snow perverts" be posting? We're all out PLAYING IN THE SNOW!

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

crozet...my only guess would be that it's still on the outer edge of the significant (4"+) accumulation forecast from the NAM and GFS. If DC and points N and E are in the .8-1.5 liquid equivalent range then a slight change in storm track would still likely bring at least 4" whereas that change could mean 2" in Chalottesville. But wouldn't be surprised if you get the WSW down there too...

Posted by: BH99 | February 8, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd vote for Snoverkill.

@saiti34, there is limited service on bus lines today so you might be able to get a bus back to DC. If full service isn't restored to Metro tomorrow, OPM will not really have a choice but to close again.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | February 8, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Outofsync, Snoverkill, I like it!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually a little surprised that the media (not necessarily CWG) is not warning people more about the potential hazards related to the next storm. If we get 10 inches on top of what we have, we could be facing some unprecedented problems. The region's infrastructure is already extremely stressed. I agree with a past comment that the region's officials should consider activating the National Guard if it looks like we will get heavy accumulations. We need to make sure people have necessary shelter, food and supplies.

I feel for the CWG at this point. Trying to determine travel/airport functionality and fedcast with any degree of certainty must be very difficult. We don't really have a historic reference to look at for guidance.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 8, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@ BH99...thanks for the info.

Posted by: crozet | February 8, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Snoverkill is great! Any more after this week, we can just add a Roman Numeral after it. :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Things in NE DC not looking too great. Took a little walk around the Union station area at lunch and even some of the major thoroughfares need work. For example, Mass Ave is 2 lanes and the road part is packed ice/slush that is gradually being broken up by the sun and cars driving over it. Looking at the surrounding residential side streets they are much worse. I would say that 25% of parked cars have been dug out. The rest are large mounds of snow/ice that haven't been touched by the owners. The government may be closed, but the federal buildings have nicely swept sidewalks with salt aplenty. Kudos to them.

Posted by: jojo2008 | February 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@saiti34, AFAIK "underground service only" means that the trains only run as far as the last station (on any given line) before the line comes up to the surface. It's the train tracks (and the 3rd rail) which are the issue, not the stations. See the detailed discussion of Metro's needs and clearing practices in comments for either the last, or last but one, CWG post.

Posted by: fsd50 | February 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | February 8, 2010 12:25 PM

-----------------------------------

Finally somebody gets it. The"ooh it's snowing" idiots really drive you up the wall.

Posted by: TheMarylander | February 8, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I quite agree with ultrapop101. Take the fight somewhere else, so the rest of us can enjoy the discussion and get info.

@CWG Any thoughts on whether the feds will open back up tomorrow?

If things are still rough in Alexandria, I can't imagine what it's like out in the suburbs and exurbs.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I nominate Snowzilla.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

CWG - what say you for the Naptown area?

I vote for Snoverkill as well. Thanks.

Posted by: CCCinNaptown | February 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I think my new tag on Twitter will be #Snoverkill for the foreseeable future.

And I love the T-shirt. Good thinking.

I am just glad I am hearing snow and ice slide off my roof, albeit in small chunks. I am going to shovel my back deck a bit more before tomorrow...I have no desire to have to pay for a new one because the old one couldn't take the weight of the snow...

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 8, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I like Snoverkill!
This would have been big even where I grew up (Wayne Co, NY) - only thing missing for most of us here is the wind and resultant story-high drifts.

Snow is pretty, meteorology (esp of storms) is fascinating, and I'll be happy to see spring. In the meantime, we deal with it, and try to help, or at least not get in the way of, people who have more urgent responsibilities or needs than we do individually.

Posted by: fsd50 | February 8, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I am a snow lover, but I am scared about tomorrow. I vote for Snoverkill as well!

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 8, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@saiti34, would the Yellow Line be an option for you?

Posted by: Christopher Dean Hopkins | February 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@ChickenLady SNOWZILLA was my suggestion in the name-game for the last storm - let's make it stick this time!

Posted by: ironmanjt | February 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I love snow but now I'm ready for a bit of a break. My landlord still hasn't shoveled any kind of pathway to the garbage cans making people trudge through 2' of snow to take out their trash. This new storm means that there will be more snow for my landlord not to shovel. There are still people in the neighborhood who haven't yet shoveled their sidewalks, or if they have they shovel exactly up to their property line and not more, leaving large patches of snow on sidewalks.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | February 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@saiti34, ah, nevermind, forgot the Yellow used a bridge to cross over into the District.

Posted by: Christopher Dean Hopkins | February 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@Christopher Dean Hopkins

The Yellow Line goes over a bridge into the district, not below the river.

Posted by: mcleve | February 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If you're in the Pentagon City and trying to get back to DC, basically you're looking at a cab ride. The Blue Line goes above ground at Arlington Cemetary, and the Yellow Line goes above ground on the bridge over the Potomac.

I vote for Snoverkill, too! I'm getting a little sick of all this.

Posted by: acoberst1 | February 8, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Snoverkill's good, but why not Snowfecta?

Posted by: annarky | February 8, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest euro is another big hit for DC/NOVA/Balt. This is starting to look interesting again....

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 8, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

FYI, for those curious about the FedCast--it looks like Federal News Radio has a live interview with John Berry at 3:00pm.

Posted by: julize | February 8, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@saiti34 if you're in pentagon city, the best you can do for a cheaper cab ride is take a cab to rosslyn metro if buses aren't running (which they probably aren't). you can catch orange or blue from there into the city w/o dealing with messiness on downtown streets and bridges because things are still really messy.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | February 8, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

My boss always likes to say there is an interesting proverb, he says it's Chinese. Translated, it means "May you live in interesting times." It is meant as a curse.

Posted by: ValleyCaps | February 8, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I love Snoverkill!

Whatever it gets named, it's bound to be better than the Weather Channel's "Winter Powerhouse" -- can't imagine what moron thought of that name.

Anyway, my condolences to all of you having to cope with it: no matter what cute names we give it, snow still sucks big time.

Posted by: 7900rmc | February 8, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Could Pat Robertson be right and God is punishing Washington for the enfranchisement of homosexuals in the US military? Pat, are you out there, shoveling? There seems to be mounds of snow-jobbey stuff outside your church / citadel. Johnnie McCain will come by to help you build a nice snowman. But don't put a male organ on it, OK, Patsy? Shoulder to the shovel, Pat, and don't let any male passersy pinch your buns, OK?

Posted by: MickNamVet | February 8, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Snow perverts cannot be rehabbed; thankfully I'm not one of "them." At times I have been accused of exhibiting tendencies bordering on Snowphoria, but I found a help group and am making progress.

Posted by: Cat11endofdays | February 8, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

HAAAAAAA nice, MickNamVet

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

With Snowpocalypse and Snowmageddon over and done with, how about calling this new storm "SNOWABUNGA"!

Posted by: pgoco | February 8, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

the roads here in vienna are good. I have a front-wheel drive, with very good tires, so getting around wasn't a problem starting sunday morning early. some neighborhoods haven't been touched yet.

more snow will be a hassle, but we will get through it, what choice do we have?

i don't mind it, and I've got 3 young kids, and parents and grandparents who do can't drive. (stroke and old age).

just be smart people.

Posted by: torrey151 | February 8, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

For bethesda's latest go to Bethesda Actually.com. Scroll down for snow pictures. See:
www.bethesdaactually.com

Posted by: leftmidfield | February 8, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't mean to cause panic, but:

Holy

Crap

Check this out:

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The roads in Vienna are good? What part of Vienna are you talking about, and what do you mean by "good"? Please don't encourage anymore non SUV or non AWD owners . Yes 2WD vehicles can be used, but only by experienced drivers, which NOVA has a dearth of.

Posted by: voltron88x | February 8, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Bend over, here it comes again.

Posted by: Sitka1 | February 8, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I like Snoverkill. It makes me think of the Men at Work song, "Overkill." Maybe we could make up some new lyrics for it.

I can't get to sleep
I fret about accumulation
It's piling up too deep
I think about the complications
Day after day, it reappears
Night after night, [something that rhymes with appears - anyone?]
Flakes appear and melt away
At least it's pretty in the light
Though there's little variation
It nullifies the night
It's Snoverkill

Posted by: ZF-MD | February 8, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I still feel for neighborhoods that are still buried. But in my neighborhood in Silver Spring, county has been really hard at work clearing the roads since Saturday night. They have been using the Caterpillar compact loaders (normally used to clear parking lots) to move and pile up all the snow from streets and in front of everyone's houses. I wish I hadn't bothered yesterday digging my car out, those little things have essentially been digging cars out in a matter of minutes. I really was surprised by this, and give huge round of applause to the county and all those hard at work.

Posted by: crazer | February 8, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hello, I am WorfsBabyMama and I am a snowvert.

Despite the most back-breaking digging out ever, I am still totally and fully committed to snow.

I do not wish ill on anybody and for those who are without power, struggling to get to work or cooped up with small children in the house, I hope things get better for you. But to be quite honest, I am really hoping for mega snow I really want to see just how insane it can get.

My neighbourhood looks like a disaster area. It's almost like a joke. I keep thinking Ashton Kutcher is going to pop out of a snow bank and say, "You've been punked!"

Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 8, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@ZF-MD

Night after night there aren't enough beers?

increasing my fears?

freezing our rears?

bringing on tears?

Posted by: megamuphen | February 8, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The following is a picture of what I was talking about being used to clear the roads and essentially dig cars out.

Posted by: crazer | February 8, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@ 300_sq_ft - HAHA, that's like saying "No Offense but" before you offend someone...that chart made my heart jump into my throat...can't be right.

Posted by: parksndc | February 8, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

ZF-MD and megamuphen - I like "there aren't enough beers". It's a catchy little tune! Never thought I'd have Men at Work stuck in my head.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 8, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@ parksndc

I know, it's absolutely crazy. It seems like the models are all lining up to give us another crazy storm. Accuweather forums are lit up like they were this weekend.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

looks like this could be another huge storm for dc....wow.

Posted by: lll1424 | February 8, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@crazer

Similar to your link, they had these working in Bethesda, larger and with tires instead of belts. Looked like yellow monster trucks. Surreal to see them downtown.

Posted by: Cat11endofdays | February 8, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Just ventured out to restock for the next week or so. Drove from Ashburn to Sterling. It's bad, real bad out there. You can see the infrastructue is about to pop.

Lady in line behind me at store hasn't had power since Friday.

Folks, I can't stress enough how dangerous another "blizzard" will be. Homes and buildings will collapse. People will get injured or die.

But, go ahead, keep cheering for snow. Would you root for hurricanes too?

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@thinkspring

have you seen "the hurt locker?" might give you some idea of how a person can 'want' something that has negative consequences for others.

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 8, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring - You do have a good point. This has the potential to be very destructive if it all comes together.

However, it doesn't change the fact that the weather will do what it wants to, regardless of how we root for or against it.

Obviously no one here wants someone to die in a structural collapse or other accident caused by the weather.

I think those rooting for snow (myself included) are thrilled about living through a once-in-a-life-time event. Chances are, they are just as vulnerable to the ill-effects of weather as those who are rooting for the storm to pass.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

my vote's for snowverkill.

Posted by: Section406 | February 8, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Snoverkill is the best name yet!

I'm in Bethesda and we had a snowplow visit this morning only to get stuck (we're on a hill) so that was entertaining to watch. Massachusetts Avenue is still a mess, but it's better off than River Road, which has two narrow lanes and a huge mound of snow in the middle. I don't see how schools can open this week, and it's going to be difficult for most of us in suburbia to get to work.

By the way, if you're able to, go for a hike in the woods. It's incredible.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | February 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Great, just great! As if we've haven't done enough shoveling already.

Posted by: eabgarnet | February 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, Snowmageddon cost me a long weekend with my grandsons, but I am still an unrepentant snovert. I went to Grand Junction, CO instead to welcome a new grandson there, and ended up driving through lots of snow both ways. I love the snow, I love driving in it, and no, I don't ski. However, this may not be a good time to talk to my daughter about my strange fascination with snow...

Posted by: readingj | February 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

mr. q., you said,
"Please link to the comments where people wrote, as you put it, "see, it's cold and snowing here at my house - so there can't be global warming". I am curious to read this "crowd"('s) comments."

well, ok, here are a few:

I have an irate caller for Mr. Gore on line 3.

Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 7, 2010 4:53 PM

******************************
and
********************************

Saw this headline on a "Climategate" web site: "Thirty inches of Global Warming heading to DC"

Posted by: dcmowbray1 | February 7, 2010 3:39 PM

***************************
and
****************************
Global Warming? Laugh out loud.

Posted by: HolyMoley | February 7, 2010 4:26 PM

*****************************
and
*****************************

"Good article here on why it's been so cold this winter."

I thought it was due to global warming - I'm sorry, I meant climate change.

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:22 PM

****************************
and
****************************

how is that man made global warming doing for ya?

maybe algore already solved it by pretending to plant trees.

Posted by: infantry11b4faus | February 6, 2010 4:58 PM

********************************
and
***************************

how is that globel [sic] warming working out for d.c. they need to invite al gore down for a snow cone.

Posted by: badz34 | February 7, 2010 1:41 PM
*****************

and so on....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Snoverkill was coined on Thursday by maggot or maggots. CWG ignored it and other good suggestions then. Whatev!

I'm worried about the scary winds and all--I've had power this whole time but it may not last...

Posted by: chunche | February 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Worfsbabymama, if that is how you feel, you need help. This is a serious situation -- this isn't a joke.

Saying "bring it on" in this case would be like wishing for a Cat 3 or higher hurricane to hit this region. That's nuts.

Here's hoping the first responders, medical professionals, and others who HAVE to get to work will be safe.

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@ ThinkSpring - Dangerous, yes. Sky falling? no. This is life, we take it and deal with it as best we can...we're not the only place on the planet in the hisotry of mankind to deal with this. Let's get back to talking weather forecasting, please.

Posted by: parksndc | February 8, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone even thought of how these snow storms are affecting homeless people?

Posted by: tyfromGA | February 8, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

OMG,

NWS just updated to winter storm warning for 10-20 inches in NOVA/DC!

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 8, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

tyfromGA, have you though about how oppressive heat, or torrential downpours affect the homeless?

Anyone have updates from the 18z models?

Posted by: DaveB2 | February 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear God.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

DaveB2, you're right but you don't usually see people cheering on oppressive heat or torrential downpours.

Posted by: gimmegreen | February 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

okay, I'll admit, I'm a snowlover. But I just had to help shovel out my block in East Baltimore. By hand. Yeah, we had a pickup truck to put the snow into, but that's still waaaay too much shoveling. And I have a flat roof that I'm starting to worry about. eek.

scenes from digging out the street:

Posted by: bachaney | February 8, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey DaveB2, I'll continue to root for temperatures in the low 80s, bright sunshine, and moderate rain every 5-7 days to keep crops fed and grass green. I'll continue to root for it no mater how many people are killed by that weather or how much property damage results.

Seriously, grow up dude.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I like snow and all. But this is just rediculous. Enough already! One storm with about an inch per year is enough for me. Life is paused for about half a day, we look at how pretty it is, and it goes away. But this is just un-real, and mighty dangerous for many reasons (slip and slide, car crashes, people not having access to heat, medical care, food, building collapses....not to mention a huge economic blow).

Posted by: thetan | February 8, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

As of this writing I have yet to see a plow while roaming the streets!

Where the District faltered "Mother Nature" is picking up the slack - and SHE is tired - Connecticut Avenue and Columbia Road are both a mess.

If we had to evacuate at this time the District is in trouble - my vote this election is "ABF"

Posted by: Chris543 | February 8, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think this is all the fault of the people who bought all of the Priuses and goofy lightbulbs. Apparently it's a lot easier to counteract global warming than we were lead to believe.

I predict that if everyone who reads this buys a less fuel efficient vehicle and starts keeping all of their lights on that we will see an end to this snowy weather within the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Posted by: sarcasmo | February 8, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

What is taking OPM so long to do the right thing and close the fed gov't again. The last thing we need is the feds out on the frozen-over roads in the morning just to turn around and leave early tomorrow to beat the next storm. Get a clue, guys!

Posted by: jdcinarlington | February 8, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I wrote, "Please link to the comments where people wrote, as you put it, "see, it's cold and snowing here at my house - so there can't be global warming".

Walter, your reply doesn't list a single comment where someone stated "see, it's cold and snowing here at my house - so there can't be global warming". Not one. You are interpreting those comments to mean that. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It is impossible to say based upon those comments. Personally, I think it is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig stretch. And speaking from first hand knowledge, I know for a fact that you can misinterpret what people mean because you have done it to me! Take my comment above for example. I meant precisely what I wrote. I meant "Thank God we don't have to suffer through all of those man made global warming posts!" I meant precisely what I wrote! Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't argue that one winter disproves man made global warming. That would be silly. I argue that this winter goes against what the proponents of man made global warming said would happen. They claimed that winters would be milder due to global warming. And this winter is anything but mild.

Even if one was nice and overlooked the fact that those comments you quoted don't say what you claimed they did, that isn't what I would call a "crowd".

Going back, as you did, to February 6th, there have been 12 posts. 12 posts! And that doesn't include this one. In those 12 posts, there have been 969 comments.

And you found 6 whole comments. That's an average of one comment for every two posts/columns.

Out of 969 comments, not including this group (which would put it well over 1,000), spanning 3 days and 12 posts/columns, you found 6 comments mocking either Al Gore, global warming, or both. 6 comments out of 969 comments is less than 0.7%

And you call that a "crowd"?

Good God man. What would you call 10 comments (or 1%)? A mob?

On a side note, you aren't very tolerant of dissenting opinions, are you? Not a big believer in freedom of speech either, are you?

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 8, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

mr. q.,
do you REALLY think it's a stretch to say those comments i quoted were using the snowstorm to discredit global warming theory?!?! really?

seems pretty clear to me they were snarky, mocking, they-thought-clever remarks basically saying "it's cold here...so global warming is a hoax." i mean seriously, what's the point of saying

"how is that man made global warming doing for ya? maybe algore already solved it by pretending to plant trees."

during a near-blizzard if not to, yes IMPLY that global warming is false?

if we can't even agree on that, then there's nowhere for us to go... (as i suspect is the case).

your analysis of my use of the word "crowd" illustrates that obfuscation must be your goal: i DID NOT say there was a "crowd" of comments, but that those comments come from the global-warming-is-a-hoax "crowd"..... get it? sheesh...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

mr. q.,
and, this from the latest thread:

"What is the **ll is going on? Where is Al Gore with his global warming. Did he go back into his cave like the groundhog?"

Posted by: shortguy | February 8, 2010 6:45 PM

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

again, from the latest thread, as if to illustrate my point...look at this "clever" riposte:

"Looks like the next ice age has begun. At some point the weight of the snow will crush the stupidity out of the AGW Scam crowd and they will be for mercy.

But the snows and horror will keep coming.

Posted by: C0rrupt_0_Crats | February 8, 2010 9:38 PM
**********************

probably meant to say "they will be BEGGING for mercy"

anyway, this same "clever" person posted two more "clever" comments which i, yes, INTERPRETED to mean he denies AGW and uses the local cold weather as evidence of that.... not much of a stretch, really.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 9, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I shoveled a flat part of my roof yesterday, bottom part was hard packed ice from at least two falls ago. People judging weight by height of snow could be in for a cave-in. The next snow could be the flake that broke the back.

Think WP should post comments newest first.

I vote for the Snovechkin suggestion. This will be a hat trick on ice.

Posted by: phlypp | February 9, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

mr. q.,
more idiotic comments which i INTERPRET as IMPLYING that because it's cold and snowing locally that global warming is a hoax:

**************************
OK, we get it, Al Gore was wrong.

Please stop snowing!

Posted by: JBMSC | February 9, 2010 11:21 AM
*****************************
and
****************************

i love how God make's fool's of the so-called wise! with all that global tree huggin cr ap that al gore and his minion's in the white house are pushing. only to have record snow fall's and temp's below freezing. you gotta love God's sense of humor with these loon's in d.c. we all knew it was a hoax they were perpetrating on us. and now God is just having fun with those idiot's!!

Posted by: aaarocket27 | February 9, 2010 11:24 AM
**********************

comments from that crowd are not hard to find....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 9, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I suspect this will be a complete and utter waste of my time, but since I started the dialogue when I complimented your ice sculpture, I will try one more time.

You framed your argument like this. You said -
"that's funny because i was just lamenting about how snow always brings out the "see, it's cold and snowing here at my house - so there can't be global warming" crowd...."

I don't know if you consciously framed your argument that way, or if you inadvertently framed it that way, and it really doesn't matter. You are painting everyone who disagrees with the theory of catastrophic man made global warming as being the kind of person who thinks that since it is "cold and snowing here at my house" ... "there can't be global warming". Those are your own words.

Then, whenever anyone posts anything even remotely close to critical or mocking of AGW, you interpret their comments and then proclaim, based upon your interpretation, that their underlying thought process is precisely as you claimed. i.e. that they think since it is cold and snowing at their house, that there can't be global warming.

What about people like me? I think the hypothesis of catastrophic man made climate change is entirely wrong. I think that many of the people promoting it commit fraud in the name of saving Mother Gaia (sp?). I think that some who are committing the fraud do so knowingly and profit from the fraud. But I do NOT think that since one winter is extremely cold and snowy that it disproves AGW. That would be silly. But that is exactly how you attempt to paint everyone who posts anything critical of the fraud. You assign to them a thought process specifically designed to marginalize them.

If I post something mocking of Al Gore, are you going to try to paint me like everyone else? Wait. We already know the answer. You did. And you should know that I don't believe what you claim I believe. So are you seriously misinformed or disingenuous?

What about other people who may have never believed in AGW and just enjoying the moment and mocking Al Gore and those of you who do believe in AGW?

Why do you assume that all of the critical comments are new skeptical converts?

What you are doing is wrong. Very wrong. Both from a critical thought/logic point of view and morally.

Granted, some people may have changed their minds due to this winter. I won't argue that. But you can't single out every single critical comment like you did and make a convincing case that those people believed in AGW (prior to this winter) and then changed their mind solely because of this winter. How many of the comments that you have listed can you argue that that appears to be the case? Four? Maybe five? Even then you would be guessing. Out of how many comments so far? Over 1,500?

You can have the last word. I'm done. If you don't understand my point, then further communication is pointless.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 9, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I wrote, "... If I post something mocking of Al Gore, are you going to try to paint me like everyone else? Wait. We already know the answer. You did. ..."

That is not correct. I can't remember the last time I mocked Al Gore (hmmm... long overdue. ;)). I only commented in response to Kev29's list of positives from the snow storm, that we also do not have to suffer the catastrophic man made global warming columns/posts. That was it. I wasn't even mocking AGW or Al Gore. I was simply pointing out what I perceive as another benefit of the snow storm.

Sorry for the additional post, but I felt I had to correct myself and set the record straight.

Now you may have the last word.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 9, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

mr.q.,
i was merely pointing out a "problem" with snow storms. idiots like this keep posting:

****************************
"We need to sacrifice Al Gore to the gods for the sin of believing in gorebull warming. Then the snow will stop."

Posted by: rgould22
****************************

i did not say that YOU believe cold/snow locally disprove AGW, but that for a LOT of idiots, it does. see?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 10, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse