The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 02/ 8/2010

S'now joke: Another major storm coming

By Ian Livingston

Blizzard conditions and significant accumulation possible

* Winter Storm Warning Tues.-Wed. for most of metro area (map) *
* Making history? | Today's Q&A | Snowmageddon's incredible output *
* Watch out for ice dams | Measuring Snowmageddon's depth *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

There is still way too much snow outside to know what to do with and it is now increasingly likely we will be adding a big pile on top. The National Weather Service has now issued Winter Storm Warnings for tomorrow and Wednesday. As if that was not enough, this looks like quite the windy event, with blizzard conditions possible. Highs near freezing today and similar expected tomorrow will ensure that our snow base at the beginning of the event remains quite deep.

Through tonight: We see mostly clear skies early becoming cloudier as the night wears on. Temperatures fall to near 10 in the coldest spots to the mid-or-upper teens in the warmest.

CWG team snowfall forecast for Tues.-Wed. as of 3:30 p.m. Confidence: Medium.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): The day starts mostly cloudy before snow begins to arrive during midday and afternoon. Snow will pick up in intensity as we head into evening with the heaviest expected late at night and a possible lull prior to sunrise. Some mix with sleet is possible from around D.C. and to the south. Winds increase late at night, with gusts near and past 35 mph -- blizzard conditions are possible by morning. Highs should reach the upper 20s to lower 30s with lows in the low-or-mid 20s.

Wednesday: There may be a lull in the snow, or just some lighter stuff during the very early morning, but a second dose of moderate or heavy snow is possible as the storm pulls off to the east and the upper-level energy swings through. Highs probably rise to the upper 20s most spots. Strong northeasterly winds continue to be a concern through much of the day.

See Jason Samenow's forecast through the rest of the week and weekend.

What do you think about all this snow? Love it? Tired of it? Let us know, or start a different conversation, with a comment below. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Ian Livingston  | February 8, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Next storm puts snowfall record in reach
Next: New storm polls: Tell us how much and name it...

Comments

Tomorrow's storm code name SNOWPPLESAUCE. It's great with pancakes.

Posted by: tailwagger | February 8, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Usually I'm a snow fan entirely because we don't get this much of it. Put a fork in me, I'm done.

Posted by: georgieporgie1 | February 8, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

First to say uggh

Posted by: SkinsForever22044 | February 8, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

second

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 8, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

NWS is calling for 10-20" But CWG is 5-10" Why the disparity?

Posted by: schrute | February 8, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Why I prefer the 5-10, the NWS is now calling for 10-20. Will you now be changing yours?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | February 8, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Can you provide a time estimate of the storm's arrival on Tuesday? Have a confirmed and still-showing-as-on-time flight out of Dulles at 3:15 pm and we're hoping for the best.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 8, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS INSANE

Posted by: allisondt | February 8, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Wrong version of map was included in rush to publish because of warning issuance. Correction inbound.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so tomorrow we have another storm (I'm trying to remember what daffodils look like) -- but now I hear there's going to be *another* one this weekend? I'd like to get out and get some food, but I'm not sure anything's open or that the roads are passable (I'm in Bethesda). Will we really have to wait until April?

After tomorrow, what's the scoop?

Posted by: -ftb- | February 8, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

CWG, I noticed that the Winter Storm Warning that you have listed is not for the metro area. Your Winter Storm Warning is for 6-12 inches in the far western counties. The Winter Storm Warning for our area is calling for 10-20 inches. I think there may have been a typo.

Posted by: rginsburg | February 8, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I have a funny feeling you are going to be increasing your totals before this time tomorrow.....

Posted by: snowlover | February 8, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The NWS forecasts 10-20 inches for the DC Metro. Why the discrepancy between your forecast and the NWS?

Posted by: dmorack | February 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

They'll be posting a new map soon it was a mistake

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

So, what changed so drastically over the lsat eight hours or so? I posted in the old comments thread that I saw (from the models) where the 0.5" precip forecast came from, and now it's 4x that?!

Posted by: leesweet | February 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I need to drive to New York on Saturday, should I start booking train tickets instead?

Posted by: deag | February 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

CWG,

This forecast is for north western part of DC metro area also? I was worried about losing power at work, which means I would have to go in and do emergency stuff. I barely slept. I don't want to deal with sleepless nights again.

The roads are a mess still. My community has plowed, but the roads are so narrow here, only one car can pass thro the himalayas we have now.

28 was a mess last night, waxpool road into Ashburn was bad. We so don't need anymore snow.

Posted by: RoseVA | February 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry. This "storm" will blow on right past us.

My prediction:

It will move quickly, striking a glancing blow before it hammers the folks up north.

But if we do get 10", then I expect to see stories next week in the Post blaming climate change and how "big snows" will be our future.

Somehow, someway, Congress has to take the fall for the shoveling we're doing.

Posted by: smoke111 | February 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

According to Government Executive's FedBlog:

"Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry (who apparently has an aching back from digging out his corner house) says he'll make the call about the federal government's operating status in the DC area after a 6pm conference call with state, local, county and regional governments this evening. Stay tuned for updates."

Posted by: snowfan83 | February 8, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

We think the National Weather Service forecast is a little aggressive with accumulations at this point. It's not to say 10-20" isn't possible, but a lot of factors would have to come together for that to happen. We'll revise our outlook upwards (or downwards) as necessary in future updates.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Here's part of the fun headed this way:

That looks absolutely gnarly.

Posted by: k1avg | February 8, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

So if they're saying 10-20 inches, that means DCA will get 11 inches, and the rest of the area south of Baltimore will get 13-17. Yeeks.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Jason - Can you explain why you think it is aggressive? I really hope it is as my roof can't take anymore snow and the contractors are delayed getting here to clean it off.

Posted by: hereandnow1 | February 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

SON OF SNOWMAGGEDON!

Posted by: brandonesque | February 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@Juan, don't be silly. We'll all get 20 and DCA will get 3. ;)

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 8, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This is a toss up. I hope the Montgomery County Circuit Court is closed tomorrow. But, I also don't want to lose power again.

Posted by: epjd | February 8, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I am one of thousands of homeowners in DC with flat roofs. I'm a little worried. Frankly, the advice to "clear the roof if it is safe to do so" (as stated in today's 2PM chat) is kind of worthless. Under what circumstances is it ever safe for a homeowner to climb up a 20' ladder to access a roof covered in 10 to 20 inches of hardened snow? It's never safe to do so. It's a job for professionals with professional tools and professional insurance policies.

This isn't a CWG issue, but I wish someone would give direct and useful advice for homeowners in this situation. Should we be hiring someone at all costs? Should we just be monitoring for signs of stress (like creaks or leaks)? Should we trust the odds (tens of thousands of homes, only a handful will collapse)?

Posted by: SpiralStairs | February 8, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the strong winds will help blow the snow off our roofs?

Posted by: k9frizb | February 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

i know it sounds nuts, but i'm still actually kind of cool with all this snow. at least it's exciting!

granted, i may be teaching well into July and my car is still snowed under and we already lost power once, but...

after the past 5 practically snowless winters, i am kind of loving this. call me crazy!

Posted by: dinergirl1 | February 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

@hereandnow1

A couple main reasons why we think NWS may be overdoing it 1) some potential for sleet in DC S&E, 2)potential for dry slot in DC and S&W b/c coastal storm forms/deepens too far north.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

my favorite comment: "son of snowmaggedon"

I love the snow. I know it is a horrible pain for a lot of people but I enjoy the break from the ordinary life.

Posted by: KilBodyFreeMind | February 8, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Can we call this one the Snonami? No matter how much snow falls it is definitely "making waves" throughout the region.

Posted by: mlolson00 | February 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

So the map with that 8-16" band that's just barely kissing the northern corner of DC is the corrected one, right?

Next models don't come out until around 10pm tonight, right?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I think instead of everyone being so focused on the snowfall amounts, we need a better handle on 1) how windy is it going to get. 2) Will it be a blizzard.. .. Many "blizzards" drop a foot or less of snow in the Midwest, but are far more crippling. Considering we already have 2 feet on the ground, and trees are weak from snow, this potential forecast could be crippling, even with "only" 5 to 10 inches.

Posted by: realclear | February 8, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Why do I have this scary feeling that DCPS will open up schools tomorrow? I think Fenty was trying to go for a record & is going to make students and teachers pay for it tomorrow.

Posted by: mmurphy6 | February 8, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@CWG: Is the storm still trending south?

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 8, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Given what we've already been through, isn't it a tad irresponsible for NWS to be throwing numbers out like that?

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 8, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Exactly how is this a break from "ordinary life"?

Shoveling, running around trying to protect your personal property, ensuring you have enough supplies to shelter in place for days, travel is impossible or unsafe, etc?

Many see this as an incredibly stressful period.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 8, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Please no more snow or sleet. My street is barely passable. I had to leave my car where I parked it Saturday because there is no space to park on my street and nowhere to put the snow that I shoveled off the car. Couldn't go to work to due to no Metro or bus service. Plus, I have trouble with my knees so the sleet and ice are havoc to walk on.

I am officially sick of snow. Where's our 70 degree weather?

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 8, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

mchristinaw? Assuming the NWS forecast is based on good faith and science... I think it would be irresponsible for them to not be warning us of the impending snowstorm.

Or are you saying that the NWS is intentionally overstating the forecast- and if so, on what basis? The computer models support the forecast.

Posted by: markinva2 | February 8, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Uncle!

;)

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 8, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

WRC is being more conservative than NWS. The numbers have been changing all day and may change again between now and the time the storm arrives. The wind could be as much an issue if this storm turns into a bomb.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

It's not irresponsible for NWS to throw around numbers like that if they think that's what is going to happen, and clearly they do think the potential is there. Keep in mind that our forecast has a band of 8-16 inches from MoCo on up to Baltimore, so that encompasses a lot of the 10-20 inch range. We're just more skeptical than NWS is right now when it comes to amounts in DC, due to some of the factors Jason alluded to in a previous comment. As he said, we'll revise as needed based on new info.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

markinva2, seems to me CWG is not quite onboard with NWS accumulation predictions...
see their comment at 3:43.

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 8, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

On Friday night at about 9pm I went out to do a little shoveling to get ahead of it. The wind was starting to pick up and the pine trees in my neighbors yard were creaking. I woke up to no power and trees down. It took two days to get the trees removed from the street and power lines. So, I am not so worried about more snow (though I don't have it in me to shovel any more), but I am worried about the wind and more falling trees!

Posted by: erbele | February 8, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring, you asked,
"Exactly how is this a break from "ordinary life"?"

-whole families "stuck" home together.
-sledding with kids (w/hot choc. after).
-snow forts.
-happy hours with neighbors.
-watching a movie at 3:00.
-sleepovers.
-laughing at the befuddled dog.
-the quiet.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@markinva2 That was my question.. what changed in 6-8 hours? This AM's CH4 and 7 showed the 5-8 inches, and we had about the same from CWG. Now it's over twice that from NWS? I'd like to see where it shows that sort of precip.

Last storm (Friday), we didn't get any snow on the ground until after what, 9PM? Now, the ground is cold, and already snow-covered in many places (roads, I mean). Tomorrow afternoon's commute (for anyone that is moving) with new snow will be a mess, so we need accurate numbers. Eh, maybe not. Five or 15, we're still in trouble.

This week is pretty much wiped.

Posted by: leesweet | February 8, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

BTW, WRC's estimates include a period of freezing rain in D.C. Tues. night. Freezing rain would be really ugly!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

OK this is a single, extrovert's nightmare, I need some freaking company other than my cats. I'm going to work tomorrow come hell or high water (or snow) ;-)

CWG, any indications of when this pattern might break down and we'll get back to a dryer pattern with temps that will allow some melting?

Posted by: ana_b | February 8, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The NWS discussion says: "By 12z Wednesday, coastal low begins to bomb out east of the Delmarva while deep upper low attains negative tilt as it sweeps across County warning forecast area. The combo of these two processes initiates strong cold air advection. The added effects of the dynamic and advective cooling would support steepened lapse rates, which will enhance accumulate amts and wipe out any dry slot."

So you disagree with them re: the dry slot?

Posted by: lizj24 | February 8, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Well if you look at the computer models and the storm track... 50 miles or so separates the 4" range from the 12" range.

A slight shift south and the totals do double... at the edge of blizzards there are sharp accumulation cutoffs.

Posted by: markinva2 | February 8, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm a snow lover, too, not ashamed to admit it. Sorry if it causes some hardship, but you know, it's a hardship being born and it all goes downhill from there. I'm not a danger junky -- I'm a wimp when it comes to fast cars and motorcycles, e.g. -- but I do love big weather. My back aches from shoveling, but I managed to get out and buy a bottle of ibuprofen and spare flashlight batteries, so I am ready. Bring it on!

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 8, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe when I head out to Denver next week for some skiing I'll be wondering, "where's all the snow?"

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 8, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a stupid question: How 'granular' are the NWS forecasts? If Loudoun/Chantilly gets a 10-20" forecast, how far away do you have to me until those numbers change?

I've always wondered whether NWS is better or worse in their 'local' forecasts numbers than the banded accumulation maps you see on the Ch 4/7/etc. broadcasts.

Posted by: leesweet | February 8, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring, how dare you! Think of all the hardship sunshine and temperatures in the 80s can cause. This weather is a blessing.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

No snow in Gloucester, Massachusetts for a couple of months or so. You guys are stealing ALL of it! South Boston and the Cape are getting some from this new storm, but I dunno if we're gonna up here.

Seriously, I moved up from Reston this past Summer, but I never dreamed of the weather you guys are getting down there. Best of luck to all! Hey! All you peeps with 4-Wheel drive get a shopping list from the stranded neighbors, especially the old folks and get em some grub to live on just like we used to back in Oakton, ya hear? Where the plows don't travel, volunteers must. Be well, all!

Posted by: JamesChristian | February 8, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Weather.com forecasting 12+ for DC and Balto...

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 8, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

SpiralStairs, Alexandria has posted some guidance about roof collapses on their web site:

Posted by: lizj24 | February 8, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Talk about a ridiculous winter! Just check this story out...

Hey Vancouver... y'all need snow? We got your snow right here. We won't be sorry to see it go. How do you want it? By truck, bus, plane, train, dogsled?

Posted by: teezee210 | February 8, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind the NWS Winter Storm Warning covers DC, Baltimore, Hagerstown, Charles Town, and Leesburg. That's a large area over which to forecast 10-20 inches.

The upper end of that range is more likely in points North and East of the DC metro area, toward Baltimore and Annapolis. The lower end of that range is probably a better forecast for the DC metro area.

Personally, as a meteorologist, I think the CWG forecast is a little conservative. The models have come into some agreement in recent runs and I think a forecast of 8-12" for the DC area can be justified. Still, 5-10" isn't a bad forecast at all. There's more uncertainty with this storm than the previous one.

I'd put the western cities (Leesburg, Hagerstown, and Charles Town) at 5-10". Baltimore, Annapolis and points NE of there can expect 12-18" at this point in time. Why the NWS won't break the warnings up in this manner, I don't know.

Posted by: Steve-wxtalkwordpresscom | February 8, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

So Steve you're saying that weather.com's forecast for at least a foot in DC is too aggressive?

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 8, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Exactly how is this a break from "ordinary life"?"

Where I live, lots of places are open and thriving (movie theater, bars, restaurants, even many exercise/yoga studios)--the employees are either local or have been put up in hotels. Everyone seems to have just decided to roll with it and have fun. And it's pretty! I know that's a matter of perspective, but to many people, it's beautiful.

Personally, I don't have a car, and I don't own this place (landlord responsible for snow removal), so I've got nothing to dig. I'm not the only one in this "no shovel" situation, too.

Posted by: freckleface | February 8, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@Steve So, it's one range for that large an area? Wow... Guess we need to keep coming here. :)

Posted by: leesweet | February 8, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

NWS likely will refine their amounts in their location-based forecasts as the event gets closer to reflect the different totals between, say, Baltimore and DC.

This storm does have more uncertainty to it than the last one, and I encourage you all to stay tuned here as we issue more updates this evening refining the forecast.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freckleface | February 8, 2010 4:27 PM

-----
Thanks for proving my point.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Howard County in the cross hairs again

Posted by: Finn1917 | February 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Snow-mas? or Sno' Mas?

Posted by: T-Rain | February 8, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@Steve-wxtalkwordpresscom

NWS actually does break up the forecast amount in the warning. If you click on a location on the warning graphic, http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/
you get different snow totals for each area. Current warning for Baltimore is 10-20", Luray is 6-12", and Woodbridge is 7-14". It's a bit more work than just reading the blanket statement, but the detail is there.

Posted by: drmammal | February 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

CWG--I am not afraid to admit I am a snow ADDICT!! I live about 2 mins south of Quantico Marie Base and was wondering if we are out for this storm?!?! I can not find the maps that everyone is referring to (or do not understand the ones I found) I am a NEWB sorry for the ignorance...

Posted by: akamrspris | February 8, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like, as far as DC is concerned, there is some agreement that totals of 8-12" are a fairly safe bet.

What is crazy about this is that such a storm, should it dump a foot on DC, would only be the third largest storm we've had this year. In "normal" winters, this would be called the storm of the decade. Now, we're just thankful it isn't more.

Sounds like Baltimore is going to get absolutely hammered.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 8, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Love the snow!! Am fortuate to live in a town that clears the streets during, as well as quickly after, a storm. Travel within our small town is easy - as long as you do not need to go down county (Montgomery), you are in good shape. I love to watch the snow fall, love to walk in the snow, don't mind sharing shoveling responsibilities with my husband and 3 kids, and am happy to putter around the house rather than running to various school and sporting events. It is a break from the everyday madness, and it is beautiful!!!

Posted by: crbeliveau | February 8, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

WRC just adjusted their forecast but pulling freezing rain out of the immediate D.C. and making it all snow, except for areas to the south. Right now they're going with 8-12" and saying more is possible.

So this means most of us will may see double digit figures and DCA snow will come in 3.2 inches.

I can't agree with CWG's feeling that DCA is a valid place for official Washington, D.C. metro snow totals to be taken. Future researchers and historians and will be relying on bogus data in terms of area-wide snow totals. What a sham (and shame)!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about what strategies (if any) are to be pursued by road crews between now and tomorrow afternoon. Any experts here?

:: Presumably the regional arteries -- by which I mean the interstates and most or all of the other limited-access -- are essentially free of snow in some or all of the travel lanes and can be pre-treated. Yes?

:: Are we going to be in a situation where plows will not be sent down streets that would ordinarily see attention in a 6"-10" storm because those streets are currently in such poor condition that attention won't help/that equipment will be at risk of getting stuck?

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 8, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on Fed status tomorrow? Liberal leave likely?

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Well I hope this is not an offensive comment, but allow me to thank the higher powers that allowed me to finally move out of DC and thus I have avoided what would have been sheer torture. Currently it's 60 degrees and sunny here in San Diego! Join us!

Posted by: libs4palin1 | February 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@fleeciewool

Yes, I would say starting a forecast at 12" is too aggressive at this point.

@drmammal

Yes, using the point forecasts can yield better information about storm totals for specific areas. However, many NWS offices will break up watches/warnings by counties if they predict different accumulations across their CWA. I don't think it would be too difficult to make one forecast for say, Fairfax, Arlington, PG, Montgomery, Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's counties, along with DC. And then create forecasts for the western counties and the Baltimore area.

Posted by: Steve-wxtalkwordpresscom | February 8, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD - It is amazing that when I talk to people on the street about the snow tomorrow they're response is usually "yeah, but they're only calling for like a foot or so".

We've reached the point where 12" of snow no longer phases us. This winter has changed our opinion about snow for a generation.

Posted by: Vingold | February 8, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Guys,

Latest GFS calls for 1.25-1.5 inches of precip that's 12-15 depending on normal snow ratios of 10:1. I'm beginning to think that NWS's 10-20 is not a far stretch we may be in for another big one

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 8, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I noticed there's a link to report offensive comments on this blog. Does that also apply to the forecasts for more snow?

Posted by: truyle | February 8, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@MosesCleveland--

NBC4 just spoke to the DOT reps for VA and MD and they are going to do as many of the residential streets as they can before the next round starts, but they will go back to the main arteries once the accumulation starts to build. So, my guess is that if you don't see a plow in your neighborhood before it starts snowing tomorrow, you won't see one until Thursday or Friday at the earliest. We have not seen one here, but have enough 4WDs to cover all errands, food runs, Dr. appointments, and other issues that have come up on the block.

Posted by: drmammal | February 8, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Walter-in-falls-church:

You wrote:

ThinkSpring, you asked,
"Exactly how is this a break from "ordinary life"?"

-whole families "stuck" home together.
-sledding with kids (w/hot choc. after).
-snow forts.
-happy hours with neighbors.
-watching a movie at 3:00.
-sleepovers.
-laughing at the befuddled dog.
-the quiet.

Well, I appreciate your thoughts, but some of us do not have such forgiving employers. My spouse had to go to work today, avoiding downed trees and power lines along the way. My children's preschool and back up care were closed, so I had to stay home and explain to bosses and business contacts that yes, they were in the office, but I needed to stay home. Ignore the commotion in the background why I try to hold conference calls, etc. Sorry, but I am tired how this town falls apart for literally days with just some snow.

Posted by: ArlingtonWeather | February 8, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

So I hear this new storm is coming in two parts. One part Tuesday night and then Wednesday late morning/early afternoon. Any clarification?

Posted by: ajw827 | February 8, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

SouthsideFFX-
IIRC, didn't you say you have a snowblower?

If so... quit your whining about snow clearance.

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Glorious.

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 8, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Arlingtonweather, you call this winter "just some snow"? We have gotten more snow this winter than most "snow" cities.... even by a good margin.

as a point of reference, chicago gets 38 inches of snow in an average year. Dulles has about 60" so far this year, chicago has had about 29", or around half.

This is a lot of snow so far this winter. It's not the case of Washingtonians freaking out about a couple of inches.

Posted by: markinva2 | February 8, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Topper on Channel 9 just called for 1 to 2 feet. Called it dangerous. Told people to rush their errands tonight..

Posted by: realclear | February 8, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Um, I don't have a snowblower, and clearing the snow isn't what bothers me. It is the possibility of the roof of my house or my shed collapsing under all this snow. Not to mention the inability to get to the office to do work that doesn't stop just because of the snow, the danger of trying to get out for simple supplies, the danger my neighbors are facing in trying to care for their kids.

Sorry, there I go, whining again. Go back to watching your condo maintenance folks dig you out.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

CWG - thank you. You are now my go-to for weather info.

My dog and all her pup friends are having a blast. God answered their prayers - their peops are home and they have gobs of snow to roll around in.

Sympathies to all for whom the snow is a hindrance or hazard. I live on Capitol Hill and am having a blast with it.

And it is spectacularly beautiful!

Take care, all.

Posted by: DagnyT | February 8, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Spwned!

Posted by: old_man_winter | February 8, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markinva2 | February 8, 2010 5:06 PM

---------
Agreed. We just aren't equipped to handle this, because it would be wasteful to make the investment it would take to equip us for it. This is completely unprecedented. A lot of people are acting like this is what they remember growing up around here or something. It isn't - this is completely out of the ordinary. More out of the ordinary than any heat wave we have had in at least the last five years, despite all the "whining" we hear about those in the summer.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Fox 5 News, as well as Topper on 9, said 1-2 feet. Do they even have any idea?

Posted by: ajw827 | February 8, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

“Nature has no mercy at all. Nature says, "I'm going to snow. If you have on a bikini and no snowshoes, that's tough. I am going to snow anyway." ~ Maya Angelou

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 8, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@freckleface, I'm also a "no-shoveler"; I used my umbrella to clear the snow around the nearby fire hydrant.

But I have trooped around in the snow and ice (because my inconsiderate neighbors on Calvert St. in Glover Park are oblivious to D.C. regulations re: shoveling sidewalks), dodging dog doo doo because the pet's owners can't be bothered to clean up after the animal, etc., etc.

But, c'est la niege. I'd like to see us break the all-time 54.4" record and then if it doesn't snow another flake this season, that's fine. The yucky heat and humidity will be here before we know it.

For the folks who are enduring power outages, coping with ice dams and flat roofs they can't get up to shovel, a trial, I realize. But come thunderstorm season there will be other weather-related problems. I guess one person's snow is another person's aversion.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Should be ok. I've got enough rice and beans to last me through the weekend. And it's probably for the best that I'll be snowbound!

Posted by: Juan-John1 | February 8, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

CWG, I REALLY hope you're not just being conservative with the 5''-10''...I think I can take that. 1'-2' just sounds terribly daunting right now...I hope everyone else is wrong!

Posted by: parksndc | February 8, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Does any professional met know which technique was used to measure the official Washington snow depth in 1899? How do we know they didn't just plunge a yardstick into the deepest drift?

Posted by: Hoyas4Ever | February 8, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

MAKE----IT---STOP!

THE 12Z MODELS TRENDED A BIT SOUTH
OF THEIR PREVIOUS TRACKS...WHICH INCREASED THE LIKELIHOOD FOR
HEAVY SNOW TO FORM FURTHER SOUTH IN AREAS HARD HIT BY THE PAST
WEEKEND SNOWSTORM ON TUESDAY. STRONG WINDS AND FAIRLY HIGH SNOW
TO WATER RATIOS...PARTICULARLY IN THE LAST 12 HOUR PERIOD...POINT
TO THE POSSIBILITY OF BLIZZARD OR NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 8, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 5:17 PM
-----------
This might be true for you, but I guarantee there will be plenty of commenters on this blog complaining about how winter just isn't how it used to be when they grew up if we have three or four storms miss us later this month. Should we call that "whining?"

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

DCPS is closed tomorrow. Anyone know if the Feds are out too?

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 8, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I loved this snow this weekend but I really don't want any more. I work from home but my work requires me to drive all over Northern Virginia. I don't have an SUV, truck or 4WD. I'm running out of things to do here at home and don't want to use up leave or go without pay for this. Additionally, I don't even want to leave the apartment for errands as I don't want to be stuck without a parking spot in my apartment complex or end up having to park under the trees that are bending and breaking under the weight.

Just because I don't own a house and my apartment complex has plowing arranged doesn't make it any easier on me!

Posted by: brown3ml | February 8, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

To quote Stephen Colbert of the "Colbert Report": NOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: MillPond2 | February 8, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Being a sour-faced killjoy won't save a single life or back.

I prefer not to get torqued about things I can't control, such as the weather.

Posted by: snowvert | February 8, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Washingtonians. This is a taste, I mean just a mild taste, of a Chicago winter. The kind of winter that our President and I know well. In fact, snows around Valentine's Day are often notoriously the heaviest of the season. So, welcome to OUR kind of Winter. Enjoy your snow days.

Posted by: garydorst | February 8, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

@Kim in Manassas - where's that text from?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 8, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

You can put me on the list of people who've had quite enough, not that Mother Nature is considering our poll results. I did a brief search for Coleman fuel today but didn't find any--after my brief experience with no power on Friday, and friends and family out for days, I am concerned about power outages more than lifting another foot of snow.
Overall, this is a public safety emergency, and I can't find it fun.
The folks who are relishing the good things about the snow, well, I'm happy you're happy, but it does strike me that you could play games with your kids and talk to your neighbors without snow, couldn't you?

Posted by: RightField | February 8, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

SouthsideFFX, you said,
"I guarantee there will be plenty of commenters on this blog complaining about how winter just isn't how it used to be when they grew up if we have three or four storms miss us later this month."

well, they'd be right, in a way - this winter is BETTER than whatever winter they're remembering....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 8, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Doug Hill just said 12-16" is a definite possibility for the District, FFX, MoCo, etc.
He was right on the money with the last one, calling 30" at Dulles.

Posted by: howellb1 | February 8, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

@SouthsideFFX, well, based on the forecast into next Monday, just posted on WRC, we could be looking at a (yet another) President's Day) or maybe a Mardi Gras "second line" snow?

I recall our mayor saying the city would be cleared by the beginning of the work week? Well I live in that city and like so many other people who post here, we've yet to see a snowplow. And this on a bus route!

I vividly another mayor whose administration botched D.C. snow removal after the 1987 double-barreled Super Bowl storms. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Giant was crazy!! Walked up there for milk and the produce section was gone!! No wonder if the newscasters are calling for 1-2 feet.

I think MOCO is doing a great job of clearing out after this storm.

By the way, this was not "just some snow" and sometimes business as usual has to wait.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 8, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

OK, I vote for either Alexander Snowvechkin (it's the third storm, thus a hat trick) or Snowmygosh.

Posted by: SideDishy | February 8, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

cwg- can you help a sister out with a fedcast and a metro update?

Posted by: watchingweather | February 8, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@garydorst

Chicago Average Snowfall from Fall through Spring (1971-2000): 38.0 inches
Least amount of snowfall: 9.8 inches (1920-1921 season)
Greatest amount of snowfall: 89.7 inches (1978-1979 season)

"Our big weekend storm surged Reagan National Airport's seasonal total to 45" with the balance of February and March yet to go." http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/02/making_history_snowfall_record.html

A mild taste? We've surpassed your average this year... And isn't IAD reporting even more?

Posted by: brown3ml | February 8, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I could be wrong, but I thought last week CWG said this would be just the 3rd season in 30 years with two 10"+ storms. What's the record for years with three 10"+ storms?

Posted by: ml2152 | February 8, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

S'no More!
S'no Mas!

I'm glad my wife made it back to town today - she can shovel the 10-20 measly inches we get tomorrow night, I'm done.

Posted by: bandfriend | February 8, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Here's a useful link for DC residents. It's a map that tracks the District's snow removal efforts. So, if you're like me, you can see where the city's plows have been working, instead of on your street. I'm praying that the plows hit the 2400th block of Lawrence Street NE before the snow starts tomorrow; otherwise I'm thinking it will be Thursday or Friday before we can drive somewhere. http://snowmap.dc.gov/snowavl.asp

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 8, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Bring on more snow, I only got 13" in Spotsy. from the last storm. 15" more inches would be great. I'm retired, so the more snow the better. Next yr at this time we'll b wondering where all the snow is.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 8, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Clarification: WRC just said that if it snows next Monday, it will only be flurries...

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 8, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@300,

My sister sent it to me...I believe it was part of the discussion from the East Coast Wx boards, where she frequents when not hanging out here. I would have to double check.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 8, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

QUOTE:

Posted by: garydorst | February 8, 2010 5:27 PM
-------------

That's extremely stupid and pompous. I lived in Chicago for years, and they never get repeated 2-foot snows. More snow than DC, of course. Massive, constant snows? Nope. Plenty of wind, though.

Posted by: Langway4Eva | February 8, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"Snow means snow!"

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 8, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

CWG: Great ongoing coverage! Was wondering what leads you to the 5-10 estimate when most of your tv colleagues (Doug, Bob, Topper) are more in the 10-15 range? Do you see something different?

Posted by: jdtdc | February 8, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

My husband and I have a flight from BWI to New Orleans on Thursday. I don't care if I have to drive to take the train, I am going home for mardi gras! I haven't missed one my entire life and no amount of snow will stop me.

Posted by: kmill67 | February 8, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

=

Whatever... I had my walk and driveway dug out on Saturday. Didn't do me any good, because the plows weren't by until Sunday morning. Prior to that, nothing under ~8" of clearance was getting by, and I only have 6.5".

If you're that worried about your roof, stop posting on the internet, and do something about it.

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I received this in an email from GEICO, but the info is generic and extremely useful.

Protect your windshield after Mother Nature's frosting

* The cardinal rule for de-icing your windows? Hot water is a no-no, unless you like that shattered glass look.
* To begin, start your car and turn on the front and rear defrosters to help soften the ice and snow. It will also help warm up your car while you work.
* When you're ready to begin scraping the ice, opt for a plastic ice scraper. Plastic scrapers are less likely to damage or scratch the surface of the glass.
* Your wipers weren't made for heavy lifting. Use them only after you've completely cleared off the snow and ice from your windshield.
* Make sure your car has plenty of windshield washer fluid before you get out on the slush, salt and sand covered roads.

How to take your car from snow-packed to road-worthy

* First things first...you want the snow off your car but you probably want to save the paint. Opt for brushes designed for auto snow removal and leave the shovel in the shed.
* Whatever you do - don't forget the roof! Take a top-down approach: First, clear the roof. Then work your way down to the hood and trunk.
* Don't forget to brush off your mirrors, head and tail lights and license plates.
* Carbon monoxide is no laughing matter, so check your tailpipe to be sure it's free of snow whenever your car is running.
* When you are ready to hit the road, shovel around your wheels and under the front and rear bumpers to clear away any snow. And above all, please be careful out there.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

@garydorst - per the NOAA (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/winter/chi_snow_statistics.php), Chicago averages 38 inches of snow per winter. The greatest snowfall for an entire winter season for Chicago is 89.7 inches. The greatest total for the entire month of February is 27.8 inches (from 1896). In terms of snowfall, the year we are having is clearly not a joke by Chicago standards and certainly not a "mild taste". Of course when it comes to temperature, you are entirely correct. We very rarely see the kind of cold that you do.

Posted by: Finn1917 | February 8, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

WTF...seriously? I'm nowhere near you guys and I'm already tired of reading/hearing about your snow. Am I even gonna have a home to come back to in May? Will I have to use sonar to find it under the glaciers?

I agree with those who are saying that this stopped being fun 20 inches ago. The Dec 19 storm stopped being fun for me after the 2nd (of 3) day of shoveling. I can imagine that this storm stopped being fun after the power went out, buildings started collapsing, or at least the incessant shoveling...and now this next round is just icing on the cake from hell.

I feel really bad for you guys, this has to be the worst winter 99% of you have ever seen. I'm just very glad and lucky I chose to go to college in the freakin' tropics (comparatively speaking, that is...56 here today going down to 30 tonight).

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 8, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, but I am tired how this town falls apart for literally days with just some snow."

Hey, arlingtonweather, go back and read your post. No offense, but YOU are the one who is "falling apart".

Suck. It. UUUUUUP.

Posted by: TerrenceEvansDC | February 8, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garydorst | February 8, 2010 5:27 PM

Ummm... false. Chicago does not average three double-digit snowfalls in a Winter. They average about 40" each Winter and even Reagan's extend-an-inch measuring device has seen more than that already.

Now, if you want to head to the other side of Lake Michigan where lake-effect snow occurs, then we can start talking about comparisons to average Winters.

I grew up in the Midwest on the Great Lakes and only some of the most intense lake-effect snow events rival what DC will experience in this stretch from last Friday through Wednesday night.

Posted by: Steve-wxtalkwordpresscom | February 8, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@garydorst

Chicago may get more snow than DC, but how often do they get 20-30 inches at one time?

Posted by: bdeco | February 8, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Alright folks, let's not let frustrations with the relentless winter get channeled into name-calling and fights between winter lovers and haters, snow weenies and snow wimps. There is a real possibility of a major snowstorm for DC and especially points NE from this event, and we should all be taking it seriously, regardless of whether or not we like snow.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Most power lines don't collapse on under the weight of snow. The power goes out because people don't keep their trees trimmed back from the power lines. When those limbs load up, they collapse on the lines. There should be a fine to the tree's owner for that.

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I just realized that we may have brought this discussion on ourselves by asking for opinions about all the snow. That's fine to do, but please do try to hold back from criticizing others for their points of view. Thanks all!

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

In the words of Jackie Moon, "Everybody love everybody!"

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 8, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Good man, Andrew.

This really is amazing. Not to annoy anyone, but a winter like this is realistically never going to happen again in any of our lifetimes. Think about it.

Posted by: wecndo | February 8, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if a roof has a moderate slope, how much snowfall accumulation constitutes a hazard? I know there are mitigating factors like whether the gutters are filled with ice, but in general, how many inches of snow can a roof hold with structural damage ensuing? It's not like most of us can drag our extension ladders out into the almost 30" of snow sitting on the grass and climb up there to remove the snow.

Posted by: elizestrada | February 8, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

For something constructive, how about a forecast on when we can expect the roads to be covered tomorrow? In December, the roads turned to crap after an hour or two. Last week, it was warmer and we didn't see anything sticking for many hours.

So, tomorrow, will snow hide the ice 'potholes' before afternoon rush hour? With many roads with inches of holes, that's a major issue.

Posted by: leesweet | February 8, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

That's the problem, Andrew. A significant portion of the population around here fails to take winter seriously, and then complains about it when it comes. It's almost like expecting the sun not to rise and then complaining about the sunburn when it does.

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I spent the day shoveling, and my shoulders and back are killing me, not to mention my wrists, elbows, and knees.

I would love to see another 12-18.

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 8, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Thank you CWG for your even-tempered, calm, cool, professionalism throughout. Wow , I love weather and snow, and the prospect of even more snow is exciting for me! I am sorry and wish the best to those of you who are tired and stressed by this experience, completely understandable. I went to school in Vermont, so am used to several severe storms back-to-back. I read somewhere a weather phenomenon that patterns repeat themselves until a system changes. We are in a rare, low probability, high impact pattern that will eventually change and we'll be back to normal. I suppose I like that we are experiencing a rare event for this area - I find that exciting, unusual and those outliers are what is exciting about life for me.

Posted by: Surgadibumi | February 8, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, ennepe68, you've been working hard. Are you being sarcastic regarding wanting more snow?? :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 8, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garydorst | February 8, 2010 5:27 PM
Share This: E-Mail | Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This

Horse manure. Chicago's median annual snowfall is a tad under 34 inches. http://home.att.net/~chicago_climo/chisnow.gif We're at 45 inches already, with another 8 to 12 inches on the way. Granted, the Windy City's winters are no doubt colder (and windier) than this one, but to say that what we're experiencing is a "mild taste" of a Chicago winter ignores the fact that we've already exceeded that city's median snowfall by about 1/3, and there's plenty more (including whatever we get in the second half of February and March) on the way.

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

DC Public Schools cancelled tomorrow, btw

Posted by: Bious | February 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 8, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I prefer to call this new storm:

MULTIPLE SNOWGASM!

Posted by: MadSkipper | February 8, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

So ummm....where do I put this new snow exactly? I'm 6'3 and the pile from my driveway is around 8-9' as it is. I'm not sure I can hurl 10" that high without throwing out my back. Perhaps Vancouver can just trade us a Winter Olympics?

Posted by: TheMot | February 8, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

This is way more snow than we ever got as kids in the Detroit area!! Hooray for snow!

Posted by: celestun100 | February 8, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

To whatever god or gods I may have offended to deserve this; let me know what I did and I'll stop. Thanks.

Posted by: presto668 | February 8, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anything that we do or don't do has anything to do with how much it snows. I like the quote from Maya Angelou above. Loving or hating the snow makes no difference.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 8, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

elizestrada-

Virginia Residential code's maximum rafter spans are set at 20 pounds/ft^2 live load. A cubic foot fresh snow weight between 7 to 10 pounds.

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

try driving a tractor-trailer in this stuff, pulling two trailers at a time. last night was the pits on I270 on the way up to hagerstown. next time you sit down to eat a meal at your fav restaurant, think about how many people it takes just to get that plate on the table.

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 8, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for those comments, Andrew. Whether we love or hate the snow, we sure can't control it.

Love the blog! Any word on the next update?

Posted by: paperball | February 8, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

@celestun100

A contrarian view - "A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."

Carl Reiner

Posted by: djm-01 | February 8, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

CWG- Best guess: Thursday morning flight (10 a.m.) from National. Does it take off? Should I shorten my trip by a day if I can change my flight until Friday?

Thanks! I'm addicted to this site and my fiancee wonders if I love it more than her. (I don't.)

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | February 8, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@elizestrada
@mason08

IRC 2003 (I know we're using 2006 now but I don't have the new book) says 25 lbs/sq foot for Fairfax and 30 lbs lbs/sq foot for Loudoun. Local standards trump IRC and VA. I'm guessing that VA Code is lower for places like VA Beach but up in NOVA they adhere to the higher.

Posted by: matt555 | February 8, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

P.S.: Snoverkill seems appropriate, but I really like Snowzilla.

Posted by: paperball | February 8, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 8, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

New fedcast? plz

Posted by: Alexandria2009 | February 8, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

largest chicago snowstorm since 1886, when records were first recorded, was 23 inches in 1967. Dulles got 32 last week and a coupls spots got 40 inches. Obama is a Chicagoan and called it "snowmageddon" despite saying it was rediculous that schools closed last winter for ice. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/winter/chi_sno_hist.php

Posted by: samdman95 | February 8, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Andrew...love the model posts and forecast talk, etc...outside of that, it's just noise.

Posted by: parksndc | February 8, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"The out-of-towners are the only ones complaining - anyone who grew up here has had an unquenchable love of snow from a young age."

So true, fleeciewool!

What I'd give to hear Uncle Grease once again say "Fairfax County: cuh-LOSED."

Posted by: TerrenceEvansDC | February 8, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to give a shout out to the unknown hero who was driving down our street in Kensington, MD yesterday in a bobcat mini-dozer with a bucket just as we started hacking at the 4-to-5 foot ice wall the plows had left at the end of our hundred-foot driveway. It had taken us most of the day to clear the driveway of 25" of heavy snow up to that point. In about 30 seconds, he made it disappear, saving us at least 30 minutes of back-breaking hand hacking & shoveling. I tried to tip him but he just drove away, waving.

Weeks like this make durable memories for kids--mine are college-age now, but still vividly remember the 1996 storm when we lost power for four days and lived and slept in the only room with a fireplace, reading to each other and playing games.

Posted by: h0db | February 8, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

The best name I've heard so far for this storm is Snowverkill. So let it be written...

Posted by: CourthouseGuy | February 8, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

re: Fedcast, my experience yesterday was that the recording at 202 606-1900 was timely, while the web site was several hours behind. I just called the number and got a busy signal -- they may be changing the recording, as I understand that a decision was to be made after 6:00 pm.

Posted by: krosseel | February 8, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

The problem with those pounds per square feet number is they don't give you much of an indication of when you should worry and take some kind of action. I'm not going to risk falling on my head unless I ABSOLUTELY have to - going onto a roof in snow is pretty dangerous. Put so is having the roof come down on your family.

I thought I saw a stat someplace about number of inches (or feet) you could have without worrying to much, but I can't seem to find it again for the life of me.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 8, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Time to throw Jonah overboard.

Also, while "Snoverkill" is okay, I'd like to nominate the variant "Snoverload." Its connotations seem more appropriate (weight/amount instead of death).

Thanks to CWG for keeping us up-to-date!

Posted by: Atticus256 | February 8, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

All the arguing about Chicago, but I would point out that Cleveland *averages* 60 inches of snow per year. Forbes rated it the worst winter weather city out of the top 50 by population (Boston and NYC took second and third).

That said, I never saw a series of snowfalls this bad in 14 years in Cleveland. The snow there starts around Thanksgiving and is mostly steady until February when the lake finally freezes over, with the occasional clipper moving through. You can end up with a couple feet on the ground, but it comes gradually enough that the road crews can keep up. (Also, they have an infinite supply of road salt up there.)

Posted by: browns42 | February 8, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

WTOP just said that the Feds will announce at 7pm

Posted by: sally121 | February 8, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Can we share with each of the local networks that we are done with the idiot on the street interviews and that we all know that people are going to the grocery store and shovels are hard to find? The formula is so tired.

We could use more specific updates about what hospitals and shut-in care agencies need drivers with 4wd. Also could use more frequent and relevant interviews with executives from power companies, local government officials talking about the map/strategy they will deploy snow removal equipment, and what the budget implications are of all of this.

Posted by: DCcola | February 8, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I like Snoverload! It sounds like my back feels!
TerrenceEvansDC - I just became a fan of the Greaseman on Facebook a couple of days ago: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/greaseman?ref=mf

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 8, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@cwg - my wife was planning to drive up to wilmington, DE on Thursday Afternoon. Do you think it'd be in her best interest to leave tomorrow before the storm, or roads should be fine thursday afternoon, or take a train (do you think it'll run thursday?)

Posted by: timeagle | February 8, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Other windshield defrosting tips..

*put both visors down-- about 30-45 degree angle.

*use windshield wiper fluid (pour directly if you can from spare bottle, so you don't deplete the resevoir) to help melt/thaw the amount of accumulation on windshield.

On the PW school front.. I walked to a MS/ES today and there was a bobcat like machine working on the entrance of the parking lot. Looked like there had been some previous plowing, but there was nothing but a sea of white.... Bobcat critter was also making super high mountains and appeared to run out of space to put all of that white stuff (no surprise).

Be safe and enjoy all.... again... be safe please!

Posted by: aquarnnr | February 8, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

@matt555

Makes sense that we'd have a higher standard than them. We get more snow. My roof's structure is ~50 years old (24" centers, no simpson ties) with a 30 degree slope. I've crawled around my attic, and everything looks good. I'm not too worried.

@ SouthsideFFX
The numbers tell you exactly when you need to worry. You just need to do some math. This assumes that the building was built to code.

~8 #/cu. ft * 3 ft = 24 #/sq. ft.

Posted by: mason08 | February 8, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

snoverdose!

Posted by: samdman95 | February 8, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I liked Snonami- but Snoverkill does seem to fit the bill.

Posted by: mds613 | February 8, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I lived in Boston for a winter and a half. The air is incredibly dry in the winter and the winds are harsh... not fun! I didn't see this much snow up there. Despite all the snow, the temps and wind remain bearable compared to what I experienced up there! All winter I would wear two pairs of pants as I had no car and had to commute by bus and subway which meant waiting for long periods in the cold. I'd definitely take this winter over that!

Posted by: brown3ml | February 8, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Snonami is my favorite... heard it on the radio today

Posted by: timeagle | February 8, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

My neighbors and I have considered the roof issue. First, none of us are equipped to do much about it. Second, most of the townhouses seem to have some type of icicles forming off the corners of the end units, or off the gutters of almost every unit, some more than others. I get them off the edges of my dormers particularly. And there will some off my back roof/gutter tomorrow again I'm sure, as it warmed up nicely today, facing due south, but the runoff will create them again. I have gutter covers and I have no idea if that is a help or hindrance in this situation.

I can't conceive of most homes here of a certain age not having some icicle issues, etc., unless they were total custom with all the latest building upgrades. And the front of my house faces due north, no direct sun, so it's always a wreck during winter precipitation.

Growing up in Fairfax, my parents' house survived all the big snowstorms, it was built in 1968, a Levitt & Sons special, no brick, just siding (and originally, really crappy asbestos siding at that) - and I don't remember it being any different. In fact, I'd say my townhouse is probably better built than theirs, but who knows? I've been into my attic twice, and while it "appears" okay, I really don't know. When I had my roof replaced 6 years ago, the roofer checked out the boards and didn't feel they warranted replacing. Not that new boards would necessarily perform better w/an overload of snow, I realize that.

We're all just keeping our fingers crossed. The front walkway along our townhouses looks like the Great Wall of China.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 8, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

What is the **ll is going on? Where is Al Gore with his global warming. Did he go back into his cave like the groundhog?

Posted by: shortguy | February 8, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Snoverwhelmed seems appropriate for this storm.

Posted by: juice1 | February 8, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I believe we should wait until this storm gives us double digits before we give it a title. Otherwise it's just "addendum".
Baltimore may get a foot, while DCA measures 4 inches.
Lots of black ice in our parking lot. I can hear the sound of cars spinning their wheels somewhere out there.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 8, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

The roads are going to be ..Snowbese.. after the next one.

Posted by: howellb1 | February 8, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone at the WaPo have inside info on whether the Metrobuses or Metrorail outside stations will be open? Alexandria Dashbus? Had to use a vacation day and really hope to get back to work tomorrow.

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 8, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

@Brown..

I totally agree with your summation of Boston winters vs. DC ones. I spent 2 years in Boston after 3 in upstate NY.

While the snow of NY was obnoxious at times (no joke Sept- May one year); the brutally cold temps that ate to one's core of Boston were absolutely hideous! I remember my eyes watering and barely being able to see because of the winds.

That and they kept the snow on the ground til when? b/c it could never melt...

Good times indeed! :-)

Posted by: aquarnnr | February 8, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I think all these names are getting better now that we're had so much practice :-P

Love Snoverload. Love Snoverwhelmed, too. Let's just hope we don't use up all the names this winter.

Posted by: paperball | February 8, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

And sorry, missed Snoverdose - lol.

Posted by: paperball | February 8, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a timeline?
How much in MD suburbs @ 5PM, 7PM, 9PM?? Have some traveling to do and need to know when I have to head out of there.

Thanks!

Posted by: joecct77 | February 8, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

One of my colleagues just got back from the Super Bowl today. Lost a few trees, cover of the hot tub collapsed, and the tub is wrecked, neighborhood (Centreville, south of 29) has not been plowed.

She said only one lane of Rte 28 North going from Centreville to Dulles was really in good shape. 28 South from Dulles to her house was somewhat better, but really thick with heavy slush.

Hoo boy.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 8, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm having a hard time understanding the point of the angry rants about "snow perverts" etc. Surely the people that post that sort of thing don't actually believe that enjoying snow MAKES it happen?

You're not THAT irrational, are you?

Whether we like it or not, the snow is here. Yes, it is a hardship for many people, but pretending to be all stern and somber about it isn't going to make it go away, or prevent more snow from coming. Do what you can to help those who need it but feel free to indulge your enjoyment of the snow if you wish.

Posted by: mcj59 | February 8, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Feds are closed on Tuesday.

Posted by: irish031 | February 8, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be snobese if I don't stop cooking and eating.

Although I've been doing a lot of calorie burning as well, as I've been able to add trudging through snow drifts to my regular exercise routines :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 8, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Federal government is officially closed tomorrow.

Posted by: k1avg | February 8, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with DCcola; Let's hear from local government officials talking about the map/strategy they use to deploy snow removal equipment.
Seems to me one focus should be on those neighborhoods with power outages, so those folks can get to shelters, friends or relatives if they need to.

Posted by: Hoyas4Ever | February 8, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Even if this was a mild Chicago winter, which it clearly isn't, who cares? We don't live in Chicago or Cleveland or Rochester. If we did, we wouldn't complain. Instead, we live in DC--if it was like this every year I'd be gone!

Oh, and how does Chicago handle 95 and 100-degree weather? Not very well, from my recollection.

Posted by: NatsinFC | February 8, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice SMACKDOWN of GaryDorst by all the posters here re: "just a mild taste" of Chicago snows.

So it looks like we had an above average snowfall for chicago with more to come, and DC has SMASHED the all time record for february snow totals for Chicago.

No wonder GaryDorst ran away - post a bunch of unwarranted opinions disguised as "facts" here and you get da smackdown!

Posted by: SJ43560 | February 8, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Federal government announced closed for Tuesday.

Posted by: Paladin7b | February 8, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Federal government announced closed for Tuesday.

Posted by: Paladin7b | February 8, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Pretty much a virtual certainty that if this next storm pans out as forecasted - with the worst of it happening overnight and into early Wednesday morning - OPM may have no choice but to close on Wednesday as well.

Posted by: map408 | February 8, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Are the feds closed Tuesday? :p

Posted by: ValleyCaps | February 8, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, there are three major East-West crossdowntown streets, two of them are SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES (according to the signs every block at least) and all of them are effectively UNPLOWED on Monday evening after two days of perfect weather. M St. goes one way East to West, L St. goes West to East, and K St goes both ways. The Washington Post building is directly between L and M, and they go outside your front door, so I doubt you could have missed the mess. What, I wonder, have Mayor Fenty and his team been doing all day Sunday and Monday? Or Massachusetts Ave? Another SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTE, unplowed with six inches of ice and giant potholes every few feet. Now, the Federal Government is going to return to work on Tuesday, and we will get another 5-10 inches of snow Tuesday night. And the DC Administration, what will they be doing I wonder? Is the Post going to start writing about this, or are you content to just run the photos your readers send in of their dogs with snowy noses? Hello, anyone there?

Posted by: GovFlack | February 8, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

SNOVECHKIN!

Posted by: pentagonbrat | February 8, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

anyone know when Metro announces whether or not to suspend above-ground service tomorrow? Does the Fed Gov't. shutdown have any impact on their decision? I imagine it would if it means less revenue for them.

Posted by: BH99 | February 8, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I would imagine that BLIZZARD warnings will be posted for several counties with this storm including Anne Arundel county. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up at or around the onset of the storm tomorrow.

Posted by: snowlover | February 8, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I vote we call it "Snow-a-palooza!"

Alternatively, Snowragnarok if we're still going with the DoomdoomDOOMYDOOMDOOM theme.

Posted by: fnnygrrl39 | February 8, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Live in Columbia on a "tertiary" road (HoCo words, not mine). I think a new synonym for tertiary is "forgotten". Our street in Kendall Ridge hasn't seen a plow at all!

Posted by: Iteach2 | February 8, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I just want it to go away...enough already. Hubby worked all afternoon and got the snow blower going...yippee. It had been down since an hour into the work in the Dec storm. Last weekend every shovel was by my hand...the machine is a welcome return. I did a yard survey, sinking above my knees, to look at the azaleas...what a disaster. Hope they are more resilient than I am at this point.

Posted by: tbva | February 8, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I am snowxhausted from all this snow, but after reading through all these posts, I decided it was not proactive to further the discussion of why this quantity of snow sucks (I love it in more modest quantities). I instead decided to figure out one positive after this incredibly tiring day...

Snow casual dress code is saving me a ton on dry cleaning.

Posted by: klh84 | February 8, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the Post report power situations in areas served by NOVEC? NOVEC certainly serves a good number of your readers.

Another name for the coming storm: snow-ja vu. (Or, to mix it with German instead of English: Schnee-ja vu.)

Posted by: josefkhen | February 8, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Snoverkill is good. I like Snow-verload too.

How about "Sn-okay Enough Already"

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 8, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

We have been planning a trip to see our son and his family in Florida since before Christmas, and were planning to leave Wednesday. Now with the weather forecast, we are thinking of leaving tomorrow morning about 10:00 and heading south on I-95. I've been looking at the VDOT and 511 sites, but still can't get a good feel for the condition of I-95 between here and Richmond. Has anyone been on I-95 today, and if so, could you please tell me the condition of the interstate? We figure if we could get to a point 50 miles or so south of Richmond by 1:00 or 2:00, we'd be at the line where it becomes all rain, but we just can't get a reliable report about I-95, so please, can anyone tell us for sure? Thanks!

Posted by: octamatilda | February 8, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I've been going at it all week with Chicago friends and family - my favorite stat is that they went from 1981 until 1999 without a double digit snowfall...18 years? They can have their -14 degrees, we'll take the big snows.

Posted by: DullesARC | February 8, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm on call for work tomorrow - I live in Takoma Park and work at an animal clinic in Olney. I know I can get in there in the morning, ahead of the next round of snow, but is there any way to predict the longest I'd be able to stay at the clinic without risking life and limb on the trip home? What kind of a picture of tomorrow afternoon can you draw for what we might expect as the afternoon wears on?

Posted by: wondermojz | February 8, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the next ice age has begun. At some point the weight of the snow will crush the stupidity out of the AGW Scam crowd and they will be for mercy.

But the snows and horror will keep coming.

Posted by: C0rrupt_0_Crats | February 8, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

This is fitting punishment for all those who push the AGW scam. May this be only the beginning of a new ice age.

Posted by: C0rrupt_0_Crats | February 8, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Snowquel. They are rarely as good as the original.

Posted by: murphyb74 | February 8, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

The snow rules you. Bow to the ferocity of nature in its fury. All ye who thought you could control the planet are now being humbled.

Posted by: C0rrupt_0_Crats | February 8, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse