The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:30 AM ET, 02/ 6/2010

Buried & more coming: another 5-8 inches today

By Jason Samenow

Snowmageddon to keep pummeling metro region

* Blizzard Warning for D.C. and eastern suburbs (see map) *
* Winter Storm Warning through late Saturday evening (elsewhere) *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Accumulations so far - Map | NOAA urges safety | Driving tips *
* What to eat during the storm? | CWG on Facebook & Twitter *
* Follow storm on twitter: #Snowpocalypse | E-mail update to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Snow ending late, windy. Total accumulations 16-26". High near 30. | Tonight: Gradual clearing, breezy and cold. 10-16. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Near 30. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

Snow piles up in Cleveland Park in the District overnight. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Generally 12 to 18 inches of snow has fallen across the metro region (with a few spots over 20") and we still have the final 1/3 of Snowmageddon to go. Steady, wind-driven snow will continue into the afternoon, boosting snow tallies to historic levels. The snow is likely to finally taper in the mid-to-late afternoon, with only lingering flurries by dark. Day time accumulation should range from 5-8 inches (locally higher where heavy bands set up, mainly north of town), with the lightest amounts south of the beltway. Total storm accumulations will likely fall in our predicted range of 16-26 inches throughout the region, though a few areas (e.g. upper Montgomery and Loudoun counties) could total 30" or so.

Gusty winds from the north will cause blowing and drifting snow -- that is, blizzard conditions. Winds will generally be sustained at around 20 mph (to 25-35 mph east of town) with gusts of 30-40 mph (45 mph east of town). The combination of wind and snow will continue to bring the risk of power outages.

Tonight, Tomorrow, and Monday: Skies will gradually clear overnight. With the deep fresh snow cover, temperatures will tumble into the mid teens downtown to around 10 in the colder suburbs. Wind chills will be near zero. Sunday and Monday will be dry with afternoon highs near 30 Sunday and 32-36 Monday, and lows Monday morning from 7-17 (suburbs-city).

Tuesday and Wednesday: Clouds increase Tuesday with another chance of snow or mixed precipitation in the afternoon lasting into Wednesday morning. Highs will be near 35 Tuesday, and near 30 Wednesday, with lows in the 20s Tuesday night. We'll have more details on this next possible wave of winter weather in updates later today and/or tomorrow.

By Jason Samenow  | February 6, 2010; 5:30 AM ET
Categories:  Snowmageddon, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heavy snow and wind plastering metro region
Next: Moderate to sometimes heavy snow rolls on

Comments

We are close to 18 inches up here in NW DC near Chevy Chase Village off Conn Ave. The snow is moderate to heavy again.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

First! And awesome.......8 more inches sounds great to me. we have 18 inches here in Largo.

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

18.5" in Bethesda and still coming down!

Posted by: YanksRule1 | February 6, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow, already 20 inches in Baltimore and 24 inches in Columbia, according to the NWS accumulation totals. Amazing.

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it DC residents but it looks like Baltimore is where the banding is setting up and the are getting blasted. I've seen places like Ellicott City, Columbia, and downtown Baltimore report 18-24 inches already. Baltimore is going to get very close to their record of 26.8 and may reach 30.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like inflated numbers just like the real estate bubble. I don't think this storm is going to be breaking any major records. Happy Shoveling!

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | February 6, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Epic snow storm was an epic failure in NOVA.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | February 6, 2010 5:40 AM | Report abuse

I think place in NW DC will get 24 inches when this is done.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Adams Morgan area has already met CWG's forecast low-end of 16" -- I just finished shoveling the heavy snow. Precip has picked up again after a brief hiatus, but there is hardly any wind. Lucky us with more on the way....

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 5:46 AM | Report abuse

Not a failure in Leesburg! 2 feet plus and snowing heavily.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 6, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Morning gloegg, anyone?

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, CWG! Hope that you at least have some strong coffee!

North Arlington doesn't appear to have gotten more than we got in the December storm. It's extremely difficult to measure, because the snow has blown around so much. I think that a foot has fallen during the night, though, based on the height of the snow against the car and the bushes. It could look like more on the back side of the house, the north side.

Power is in and out. Hoping to keep the heat, lights and the wifi on!

Posted by: BadMommy1 | February 6, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

From my eyeballin' I'd say we have at least as much as the December 19th storm so far where I am in Laurel. I'm thankful that we still have power, internet and cable!

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

ajmupit: Baltimore and some places near the DC/MD line are up to par with inches of snow. I'm in Largo and we have tons of snow (18 inches) on the ground.....I wouldn't consider this storm a bust...at all. It's not even done yet. How can you say its a bust when places like Bethesda has 18+ inches....? And the wind is kicking butt out there.

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 5:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Adrian Higgins will be in popular demand....all my azaleas and other bushes are leaning over with the weight of the snow....yikes. Coffee brewing

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 5:59 AM | Report abuse

I remain nonplussed here in Georgetown.

Yes it's a serious snowfall, but I think less than the December snow and WAY less than the '96 blizzard.

Still, the branches of the maple tree in front of my house, which normally rattle against the 2nd story front windows, are bowed so heavily that they're resting on my 1st story stoop.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | February 6, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

No power in Gaithersburg. Very cold in my house right now. Over 68,000 customers in Montgomery County are without power.

Posted by: pstauff | February 6, 2010 6:13 AM | Report abuse

I thank my lucky stars that our house and neighborhood remain with power (Adams Morgan). Knock on wood and good luck to those without power....

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Power is back! Yahoooo. I feel for everyone who is without it this morning. Good luck!!!

We only have about 15 inches(Laytonsville), but that is from one measurement as I just cannot suit up again to go back out...yet.

Thundersnow: Well, last night at about midnight and at 2:15am this morning I saw lightning. No sound. Eeerie. Just a lone flash from up high. Yes, I was up... wondering what we were going to do if, as the Pepco recording stated, we wouldn't have power until "February 8th". Here's to Pepco for restoring it so quickly.

Power flickering... shoot....

Posted by: dprats21 | February 6, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Just measured 20 inches in bethesda. When this is all over i predict ill get 26. In the december storm i had 22 inches.

Posted by: samdman95 | February 6, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

We only have about 15 inches(Laytonsville), but that is from one measurement as I just cannot suit up again to go out...yet.

Power flickering... shoot....

Posted by: dprats21 | February 6, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

On Capitol Hill I'd say we are in the 15-18" range. A heavier snow compared to mid-December. Trees quite weighed down, more fallen branches and limbs.

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | February 6, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: 15"-16" on our back porch roof, still coming down. Happy to wake up and still have power, no indication that we lost it at any point.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 6, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Here in Largo, 19.5 inches. Based on live reports on NBC4....College Park/Capitol Heights and Bowie are are getting hit HARD. I heard Bethesda got a nice chunk as well......and we aren't done quite yet..

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting the feeling that while we got a mid-December level of snow (with still more to come) here in Northern Virginia, the heavier snow did end up North of DC. This appears to be consistent with how storms have ended up a little North of where the models have predicted this winter - does that sound accurate?

Posted by: UpstateSnow | February 6, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Good morning CWG!
Heavy snow in Centreville VA. Temp readings of 29 on one thermometer & 30 on the other. Gusty winds, but not so much those big gusts that clawed at the windows overnight. 2.5 inches of fresh snow measured on sidewalk shoveled clear last night just before 3:00AM. The subdivision has had a plow pass thru a few times, but there are huge berms of snow everywhere...I would consider our local roads to be hopeless to anything but high clearance 4X4s.
Do we have a snow measurement for DCA this morning?
Has the sweet spot for mega accumulations shifted a little north from original estimates?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

if this was last saturday, we would crush all totals--that said i am fairly confident i will surpass 24" here in Odenton.

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

In Old Town, I'd say we have about a foot of snow or so. It is a lot lighter now to the point it doesn't even look like it is doing anything. However, I fear a lot of dead trees this year and really tired of the taller house next to me shedding its snow onto my roof.

Posted by: hereandnow1 | February 6, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

question...will there be a cut off in the snow?????

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Fairfax County (Alexandria-South)- lost power from about midnight until 0400. My eyeball estimate is 14 inches of new snow.

Posted by: bdeco | February 6, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

20 inches just s of leesburg, snowing hard right now

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 6, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Watching WUSA9 - showed Live Doppler clip with a really heavy snow band just NE of DC and moving S/SE - hope that makes it's way down to Falls Church!

Posted by: UpstateSnow | February 6, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

23.5 inches in Cloverly at 0645. That 14 inches in the last 8 hrs and it's snowing as hard now as earlier. 30 would seem in range. Unbelievable snow. Never seen anything like this.

Posted by: MDDem2 | February 6, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

There's a beautiful purple veil of light hanging over my back yard -- pre-dawn light plus reflections of the snow. Just beautiful!

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

18.5" in Silver Spring

Posted by: captmrwill | February 6, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Crofton MD - 24" (New Snow) at 6:30AM and all I can say is congrats to CWG on the forecast. The accumulations map will probably be very close to actual totals - given an inch or two either way on the ranges.

My wishcasting early in the week was for another December 19th storm, then as the week went on I was hoping for up to 24" and as it rolled in on Friday I was thinking 30"-36" was not out of the question.

And not all snow is not created equally.

The stuff that is out there now is wet and heavy - not the fun dry stuff we've had lately.

If you're measuring by mass and not inches - this is way more snow than we've seen in a while. Maybe ever.

And the wind isn't making things fun either.

The teenagers in the neighborhood went out at about midnight to mess around in the snow on the golf course like they usually do and they came back to my house wet and miserable.

"Not fun at all" in their words.

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Ok, took a couple of more measurements. Sorry, but my first report was from a low spot.
Due to the drifting nature of the snow, I have to make an educated guess. It looks like I am in the 17-19" range (Laytonsville, MD).
I cannot put great confidence in this since last night (Midnight-ish) shoveled about 12" of snow, and this morning there was another 12" on top of that. The NWS storm total radar shows us within the 2FOOT range. WoW.

Posted by: dprats21 | February 6, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

16" in South Springfield.

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 6, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

An update from last night...early this morning.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 6, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

At Columbia MD, near intersection of Rt29 and Rt32: I haven't been outside yet to measure (I will later, and return & report), but just visually comparing to the photos I took from December 19th storm, this looks to be a bit more than the 23" we had then. Guestimate 24"-26". Wow.

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 6, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

@FIREDRAGON47: NBC4 just said that there's 13" at DCA. Big difference compared to suburbs!!

Posted by: mnwillett1 | February 6, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Been staring sleeplessly out my window for hours, and now the snow has picked up intensely again in Rosslyn. Torrents of huge flakes.

Posted by: annarky | February 6, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Just got back in from taking the dog out for a walk. In my part of Annandale, we definitely have more than the December storm already with 19 inches. The drifting is amazing!

Posted by: VAOrangeFish | February 6, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

An hour ago I looked out back and was surprised to see that Walter-in-Falls-Church had made four chair snow-sculptures overnight. Then I rubbed my eyes and realized that there was so much snow on top of these chairs that they looked like his snow sculptures. Visibility was poor and the snow was still falling. Soon I will attempt to shovel it.

I have a feeling that my office is going to be closed on Monday.

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

DCA is now at 40.4 for the season; second highest total ever and only about 6 inches from an all time record. Dulles is over 50 inches for the winter.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

South Reston (20191): 17 inches @ 7:00am.

Posted by: EricCarr | February 6, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

morning report from east baltimore. we already have more snow on the ground than we had for the whole december storm, and we measured that at 18 inches.

dec 19 vs this morning comparison photo:

my husband shoveled at 2am, and now it looks like it's never been touched. and it's still coming down strong.

Posted by: bachaney | February 6, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

19.5" in Kensington, MD. The weight of the snow is far greater than in December. Hedges and wires are all sagging intensely.

Posted by: Fab5Mama | February 6, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Last cuppa Joe then out to shovel.

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Just checked the OPM website. Status for today, Sat. Feb. 6: Federal agencies in the Washington, DC, area are OPEN; employees are expected to report for work on time.

Posted by: mnwillett1 | February 6, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I for one am quite disapointed with this storm. A mere 72 inches, and the roof on the cabin has only partially collapsed. The wolves coming down from the mountains don't seem particularly hungry, and their incessant howling is keeping me awake. Sadly, just another DC dusting.

Posted by: h0db | February 6, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Tippicanoe, I'm just up the road, I'm pretty confident we're well over what we got in December. I haven't walked outside yet but I'm fairly sertain we're over 2 feet.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Hard to tell how much snow we have in Lake Ridge because of all the drifting, but what's on my porch overhang looks pretty even and that appears to be just over a foot.

Posted by: meta2 | February 6, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I just shoveled out a track along my block of 29th St. in Georgetown and randomly took measurements in what looked to be the average accumulations.

8" tops as of 7am.

Easy shovelling too. My little universe isn't getting smacked nearly as badly as the rest of you.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | February 6, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Snow very light with small flakes -- perhaps only temporarily -- here in Adams Morgan. New accumulation is 17" is most places. Roads seemingly impassable on my road, which has an incline.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

In Rockville, 17 inches on my front porch @ 7:30 a.m., and snow still coming down steadily. I am wondering how I will get to my shed to get my snow shovel.

Posted by: dc121 | February 6, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

JAMALNASIR_2000,

Are you serious? I don't know where you live but this storm rocked Fairfax City

FIREDUDE,

Strangely quiet eh? :)

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking outside and there's 20" on the railings of the deck. Think about that for a moment.

In the dark, I couldn't see what's what.

I'm delaying going out to blow the snow because I'm enjoying the beauty of it. But I realize that by 8, I must start blowing as I'm bored just sitting around.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 6, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

We live in the the River Hill neighborhood of Columbia. As of 7 am, we have 25 inches!! During the night, we had periods of snow falling at 3" per hour. Heard a loud clap of thunder around 4:45 am.

It's unbelievably beautiful this morning. Fortunately, the power did not go out last night.

Posted by: beach57 | February 6, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Measured a number of spots and on average I'd say about 16 inches in Lake Ridge. Snowing at a decent clip.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Near 19th and Florida NW, I see trees down in the neighbor's backyard. Haven't ventured out yet, but from my windows, it appears to be more than the December storm.

Posted by: todd27 | February 6, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how much we have but i would gues between 19-21" here. With another 5-8 i am hoping for 30"

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Lake Ridge has about 16-17 inches and snowing at a decent clip.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

North Arlington looks to be about 15". Not as bad as the December snow and not in the same universe as the Blizzard of '96.

Posted by: photomat | February 6, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Reminder: if you have a nearby fire hydrant, pls clear the snow from around it. (I posted this last night but it's worth repeating as the snow continues to accumulate). Don't count on the dogs to find it for you. ; ))

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I've been stuck at work since yesterday; anyone know if there were power outages last night in the Ashburn VA area? Worried about my cat who's home alone :-(

Posted by: natsncats | February 6, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Armed with a shovel, broom, camera, and a tape measure, I'm about to go trapsing around Columbia to see whats what!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

A band of heavy snow setting up here in Lake Ridge with huge snow flakes. This should help bump up the totals even further.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Ijamsville, Frederick County, MD

Plowed at midnight (tractor). An interesting experience, honestly, somewhat scary, little visability, howling wind and stinging snow.

Looks like 12-15 inches, plus, in the hours since. Hard to tell with the drifting. Now the wraparound effect and it is snowing hard.

Easily over 24 inches by the end. Spotter reports out of Howard County are amazing.
Thunder snow in the 2003 and 83 storms drove it well over 2 feet when I lived there. Elkridge, on the border b/w Howard and Baltimore always gets hit very hard, perhaps because of the convergence with the river and hills. Saw the spotter had 30 inches, which I believe, having been there for one of these before.

Stay safe -

Great job CWG,

Posted by: drc231 | February 6, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnneinSand | February 6, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Just back from driving a few folks to & from FO Hospital (BTW - if you have a real 4WD, your help IS needed), and my $.02 is that NoVa snow totals are very "spotty". Central FFaX Cnty (Foxmill, Miller Heights, up to Dulles) have areas w/VERY heavy totals & blowing snow, some up to fender height. Along I 66, not so bad - in some spots between W. Ox, 7100, & past the parkway I'd guess only approx 1 foot or so...
Previous poster is correct - FFaX CITY got hammered - Main St/Robinson Rd/Woodson HS must be 24"+ by now.

Time for some hot chocolate...

JS

Posted by: Jayess | February 6, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

@CWG -should i expect anothr 4-6 from now until this evening?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Just looked at the radar and it looks like there will be a gap in the snow as the southern line looks just south of Loudoun County but another decent big band of precipitation well to the west. CWG, do my eyes deceive me?

Posted by: skbm1 | February 6, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Falls Church report: First shoveling today...10" overnight. It was on top of what clean after my 1:30pm shoveling. It is already a snow management problem...where to put it all? It's very heavy snow....drat. Gonna have another cuppa before I continue. Not that I have one but, only the most stout of snow blowers would work in this stuff. Could I use the Zamboni?? I wonder.

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Looks like we are pushing 20+ inches so far in downtown Frederick, with the forecast it would seem we would top out at about 25-28+, pretty much on target per the earlier forecasts. I think the bigger issue that a lot of folks forget, especially those in towns is drifting, I can already see that blowing snow could be a big deal and have a bigger impact than the snow totals. I'm glad I got a snow blower yesterday (used on Craigslist....I even got a decent price believe it or not! Have fund, I don't like snow much myself, but at least it was on the weekend.

Posted by: soyboy99 | February 6, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Current conditions in Bethesda look like the total accumulation in December's storm. We're organizing a 'cabin fever' party in the condo for a community dinner this evening.

Posted by: mfein2 | February 6, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I haven't gotten my Post delivery yet! :)

Posted by: prokaryote | February 6, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Falls Church, should have read before I posted, so sorry. 10" fell after my last shoveling to clean the driveway at 10:30pm last night.

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: soyboy99 | February 6, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Based on the combination of anecdotal CWG and unofficial NWS, it looks like the top accumulation band (so far) roughly follows a sort of arc from Elkridge through Columbia to Mt. Airy. Will BWI end up with the highest airport total?

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 6, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD

unofficial snow is 18in, probably more. drifting in excess of 2ft. Snowfall rates last nite after midnite were stunning, like nothing Ive seen even growing up in New England

Posted by: thedude3 | February 6, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

20.5" of snow in Silver Spring from this storm bringing total snow amounts outside to over 2 feet.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 6, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Swept around 5-6 inches off the front step last night; now, there's gotta be at least a foot of snow that replaced it. Consequently, looks like Fort Myer Heights in Arlington has gotten somewhere around 15-16 inches (guesstimating at the lower end). Well done, CWG!

Posted by: Juan-John | February 6, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Prokaryote.... I can only hope I can reach the part of the driveway where it might be :)

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Temp in Glover Park down to 28.6 degrees; first time it's been below 30 degrees in this storm.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I took several measurements here in Leesburg and I would say that we have 23 inches of snow as of 8:00am. Lots of blowing and drifting of snow as well as a very fine and heavy dry snow falling.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 6, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Fairfax City/GMU: I'm still trying to get up the guts to go outside and start clearing again. The areas where I cleared 7.5" last night have nearly disappeared. I figure we have another 10" right now, but I'll measure when I actually get out there. Snow plows were getting stuck in front of my street all night trying to clear the cut-throughs.

It's strange that they haven't even started dropping sand/salt. Every past storm, there would be a bunch of stuff on the road by now. I'm thinking that they're low on supply, so I'm interested in what other people are noticing.

Posted by: figgy_va | February 6, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

sorry Glover Park temp at 29.8. coldest so far.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

My postmaster called me just as I finished digging out my car. No postal service in the Clifton area today. It must be bad.

Posted by: dadofmeg | February 6, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

...the Elkridge-Columbia-Mt. Airy heavy band, of course, being in addition to the high numbers seen in Loudoun/across to upper Montgomery.

Interesting to see that in North Arlington, folks are saying that this looks a little less significant than the 12/19 storm. Down here in South Arlington, it looks a little worse, with more to come. The not-really-Bailey's unofficial report was over 16" at 4 a.m.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 6, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

From the 3:30am update on the NWS Forecast Discussion:

"I'D HEARD ON TV LAST EVE TALK OF HITTING THE NUMBERS OF THE FAMED DC KNICKERBOCKER STORM - BUT THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. ON THE OTHER HAND BOTH DC AND BALT BROKE DAILY SNOWFALL RECORDS FRI...BOTH RECORDS OVER 110 YRS
OLD...SO THIS CAN STILL BE CALLED A RECORD BRKG STORM."

Posted by: Juan-John | February 6, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

18 inches so far in Baltimore, 21214.

Posted by: Michael323 | February 6, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

18 inches so far in Baltimore, 21214.

Posted by: Michael323 | February 6, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Crofton MD - I shoveled 3 times yesterday/last night. Because of drifting the shoveled and non-shoveled areas are nearly indistinguishable. Maybe only a 2" difference.

A plow hasn't come through since about 8pm last night.

We'll be digging out for a while.

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Accurate weather forecasting saves lives.
Think of how many people would have gone ahead with Friday night outings without the very explicit warnings that were posted. Think of how many more rescues emergency responders would have had to handle.

It seems that the often maligned weather forecasters hit a home run on this one.

Heavy, fine textured snow continues in Centreville VA. After I muster up with strong coffee I'll try my best to get an accurate total measurement. Tough to do with the drifting.

Folks, if you're tempted to take a walk on the road (sidewalks will be impassable) try to resist the urge. Visibility is poor. Snow removal drivers have been on the job for a long time now, and they are tired. Don't be the final element in a horrible accident. Stay off the roads....be safe
If you have cabin fever, go outside & start shoveling. You're going to have to do it anyway, & now is better than later when the snow sets like cement.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Southern Maryland seems to have gotten much less snow than everyone else. I doubt we have more than about 7 inches here in White Plains/Waldorf area. I woke up in the night and it was raining/sleeting.

Posted by: js2225 | February 6, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Buried under 22+ inches here in Eldersburg, MD. Still snowing moderately with heavy banding and thundersnow last night! What a storm. Still a chance to break the records! Reportedly, Elkridge MD is up to 30 inches!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

It's coming down very hard here in the City of Manassas. We picked up at least 5" from the last time I shoveled which was about midnight. I say we have as much if not more snow than we had from the Dec storm, and are not yet done.

Once I get outside,I'll be able to take a better measurement.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

WJLA-7 news anchors this AM can melt this snow quickly. Alison Starling and some other new pleasant on the eyes, Pamela Brown. Viewership should be heavy.

Posted by: KRob33 | February 6, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

In Ellicott City, we appear to have quite a bit more snow than what the December 19th event left. Maybe it's all the drifting, but it's hard to imagine that we have much less than 24 inches out there.

Posted by: Finn1917 | February 6, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Almost twenty inches near downtown Silver Spring and snowing hard. Lost power for 4 hours overnight - thanks Pepco for bringing it back.

Posted by: autumnsbest | February 6, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

45" drifts here. No clue how much we got given the winds. Near the bay bridge, aa county.

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I took a walk up the road and there is exactly 18" on the road surface in Oakton, VA. What I noticed about this snow is that it's very dense, it was much more difficult to walk through than with the storm back in December. That will translate into a tough job for the plow crews and huge snow piles lasting into the spring. And the snow continues to fall hard.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

16-17 inches in Springfield. There is some drifting. Still snowing.

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 6, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

@ figgy_va
I can't help you. In the neighborhoods of Annandale, we are lucky to ever see a plow. My neighbors and I stood dumbfounded shortly after the December storm when a plow went around our circle. It was the first time in the 7 years I had lived here that I saw a plow on my street.

28 degrees here. Have not been out to measure this morning but I would say, judging by what I had shoveled clean last night that we have about 8 inches overnight. That would be consistent with the 17 total of the other Annandale poster. Still snowing at a fairly good clip. Very pretty. Record or not, this is really cool.

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 6, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

At 8:42 AM 1.76" of precipitation in Kingstowne, Virginia since Friday morning.

Posted by: OverTheRiver | February 6, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Haven't ventured outside to measure yet, but I can tell you simply by eyeballing it that this is more than what we got in the December storm here in Logan Circle. And if we're talking about another 5-6" before this thing finally leaves (moderate snow continues to fall consistently) it will crush the totals of the December storm.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 6, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Behind National Harbor/Oxon Hill:
Anywhere from 13 to 19" in various spots in my yard and driveway. Most measurements were between 16 and 18". I will take the average of those two numbers and say 17" as of 8 AM.
Birds are going crazy at my feeders.
Light to moderate snow at the moment.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 6, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Judging by the radar, we've got hours of moderate to heavy snow left. Is there any way this storm doesn't break all the records? At least in the Baltimore area.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone here in Morgan County, WV, or have any information about what it's like there? We have a cabin south of Berkeley Springs and I'm wondering I should be panicked about its status. It's reasonably sturdy, but it's still a cabin (with an area of near-flat roof).

Posted by: SpiralStairs | February 6, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Snowing hard again in downtown Silver Spring! Will go out and try to measure soon.

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | February 6, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

storm total in woodbridge so far 20" as measured in 3 places on the back deck. Temperature hoding at 29. Snow is coming down really hard now.

Posted by: drmammal | February 6, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

20 inches in Walkersville north of Frederick. Coming down at about 1 inch an hour based on how much has accumated since shoveling.

Posted by: ferguson13 | February 6, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

We currently have about 11-12in here in the city of Fredericksburg and temp is holding steady at 30 degrees. The snow and wind has started in earnest. It appears the snow is falling at a rate of .75in an hour.

Posted by: tridentbulldog | February 6, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Same here, Kevin (also in Oakton). Just got back from shoveling, and it was far more difficult than yesterday evening and overnight - very densely packed. And we have multiple trees, or piece of tress, down. If you stand outside, you can hear the cracking of trees pretty frequently.

Posted by: DellC | February 6, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

We really have to stop measuring at Reagan! We are never going to beat the knickerbocker or even the 1899 storm bacuse reagan gets 8-10 less inches than NW

Posted by: samdman95 | February 6, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Approximately 75,000 people without power in NOVA according to Dom.com

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drmammal | February 6, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Reading CWG religiously...

Thank you so much CWG for your forecasts, your responses to questions great and tedious, your patience with some of the kooky comments, and your endurance through this big storm.

Like others, I hope you have a nice strong cup of coffee (and perhaps something stronger later) to survive the storm and the most tedious comments.

Posted by: ArlingtonSnowGal | February 6, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

The snow doesn't seem to be coming down too thick for the moment (probably just waiting on the next band), but the wind is roaring at times.

I think we've probably got somewhere approaching a foot and a half, but I haven't gone out to measure this morning.

Pretty much every big tree either came down or was broken in half last night here. Crazy.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 6, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

We are at 23" of new snow here in Great Falls, VA, (plus about 2" that were already on the ground from earlier in the week). About 9" fell between midnight (last shovel) and 7:30 AM. We have some small limbs down, but no major damage. Extremely grateful to have power, it has flickered a couple of times but staying on.

Just want to say a big THANKS to CWG and all the posters on the blog. You all have been great throughout all of this.

Posted by: CAlovesVA | February 6, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

@ jamalnasir_2000 - Epic failure? Inflated numbers? Prove it tough guy.

Posted by: parksndc | February 6, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

WJLA reports a partial or full roof collapse -- apparently a private hangar? -- at IAD.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 6, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Husband on 3rd round of plowing ... 13 inches fell overnight, to add to our rough measurement of 12 inches last night.

Posted by: llmv | February 6, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

We are at 18" in NE DC - matching the total of the Dec. 19 storm - 20018

Posted by: artandcarly | February 6, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

16" measured in Central Arlington at 9 am, with moderate snow

Posted by: tleckey15 | February 6, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is...WOW!

Posted by: keithrjackson | February 6, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

15 inches on Edsall Road between Van Dorn and 395.

Posted by: Molechaser | February 6, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

24" in Rockville. Shoveling isn't too bad but very difficult to walk through the snow.

Posted by: dc121 | February 6, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Merrifield, VA: 18 inches, maybe? I'm not going out to measure it. An enormous old pine tree came down sometime last night, incredibly falling exactly between two of the buildings in the complex where I live. It was very close on either side.

Also, there is a flock of a dozen or so ROBINS sitting in the branches of the huge old elm tree outside my bedroom window. I thougtht I'd heard them earlier in the week, but couldn't manage to see one. Now I'm afraid they'll freeze to death, and I don't know where they can get food.

Posted by: --sg | February 6, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

16" here near Dumfries. Was snowing very heavily about an hour ago, then it tapered off a bit, and is picking up more heavily again.

We ended up with 21" in December, I don't know if we will top that inch-wise, but this seems to be a denser, heavier snow.

Posted by: fall_line | February 6, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to second what so many others are saying -- the CWG has really added to my enjoyment of this storm! I've been following them since before they were Posties, and I hope they realize what a huge part they played in this for so many people. Great work!

Hey WaPo - give them all a raise! (And no, this is not their mothers.)

Posted by: RockStar | February 6, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all! Apparently the blog is still suffering from it's snowmaggden, so be patient if you have issues. Snow still looks strong, and the wind continues. Day light brings some comfort, but not much relief to the region... Yet

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

NWS just updated prediction for today from 4-8 to 6-10

Posted by: samdman95 | February 6, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

All I can say is WOW! I can't tell how many inches fell in West Laurel because of the drifting, which is WAY more than the December storm! My back deck appears to be covered 2 feet, and the effect of the weight of the snow on trees and bushes is sobering. I'm thankful my power is still on. The birds and squirrels are out and about looking for food. I'll try to get out to my feeders later.

Posted by: ppitts2 | February 6, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm in Pimmitt Hills, tucked in between Falls Church and Tysons. There's a solid two feet here on top of the trash can, shed, etc. Anyone else in area get that?

Posted by: ornery1 | February 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"Unless this storm is *very* localized, I'm not buying reports of only 8-10" inplaces like Arlington and Georgetown."

Agreed. Before anyone reports to amounts, I would recommend you go out and measure. I was going to report "about 8-10"" in Alexandria. Then I measured and it was 14.5 inches

Posted by: SJ43560 | February 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

ANYONE GOT THE MEASURING FOR SILVER SPRING/TAKOMA PARK????????

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | February 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

In Gaithersburg - Eyeballing this morning, we have more so far than we got in December. A few small trees and our bushes are all sagging. We shoveled the driveway at 11pm after we got home from the Caps game. Driving home was kinda like driving on the beach at the Outer Banks! Still have power, but just talked with a friend in Olney whose power just went out.

Posted by: megster671 | February 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I know you all have been waiting for me...so with out any further delay - 25.5 in SE Loudoun...holy snow!

Posted by: DullesARC | February 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

20 + inches in Lake Ridge and counting. Snowing moderately to heavy.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SJ43560 | February 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

About 16"-18" inches in Ballston/Arlington. Snowing moderately.

Posted by: jaydreb1 | February 6, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

13-14" here near the Bay Bridge, AA county, away from where the winds are drifting it (went for a bit of a hike to get to sheltered areas).

45" drifts.

We've got one 3' drift with 1' deep wind channels in it, vertical sides, 1 foot deep, flat bottom, about 1 foot wide each. Several of them, crisscrossing. Covers an area a good 10-15' wide by at least 30-40 feet long.

Very icy snow pellets coming down whipped by fairly strong winds, feels like you are in a sandblaster if you face it. No where near as windy as the December storm, not sure it really qualifies as blizzard here.

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Just north of Del Ray - we're definitely on the lower end of accumulation here. It's impossible to get an accurate measurement with all the drifting but I'd guess we have somewhere around a foot of snow. Maybe more, maybe less. It looks like much less than what we got in December (17 inches). It's still coming down though...

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 6, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Shoveled my Columbia, Md driveway to bare pavement last night at 10pm. This morning I have 18" consistently across it. AND - I don't think it snowed that hard before I went to bed at 11:30 or after I got up at 7am. So...most of those 18" fell in 7 hours!

I'd put the total definitely over 20. Maybe 22 - 24 right now?

Posted by: billbasey2 | February 6, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

About 14" in Falls Church. Seems like we're getting a lot less than most places.

Posted by: robperez1 | February 6, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Murre, you said,
"...I looked out back and was surprised to see that Walter-in-Falls-Church had made four chair snow-sculptures overnight. Then I rubbed my eyes and realized that there was so much snow on top of these chairs that they looked like his snow sculptures...."

tbva, you said,
"If Walter runs out of snow for his artistic endeavors he can get plenty more at my house only...I won't deliver :)
Last cuppa Joe then out to shovel."

thanks for thinking of me guys. i have a buddy who lives in PA (where they NORMALLY get more snow than we do) who threatens to drop off a truckload of snow in my yard.... never happened though...

~17 beautiful inches here in falls church. this is WAY more snow than the december 19th storm. it is SO much heavier.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

18" in mt pleasant/adams morgan, and a lot of branches down

Posted by: winterlover1 | February 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

In terms of accumulations, you are right, it's so tough to measure. In front of my apartment building, there is at most 8 to 12 inches on the road, but that is because it's protected on all 4 sides more or less by buildings. After taking a walk around the area, getting outside of the protected areas brought depths twice this deep, and drifts 2 to 3 feet in height. It's going to be tough to figure out exactly what feel where. But i'm pretty confident that if you only measure 12 and people a mile away measure 20, that you got alot more, it's just not in your yard.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

McLean is coming in between 21-26 inches so far depending on where the wind has blow the snow. We are running out of places to put the shoveled snow. I think some of my snow piles will still be there in July. Thankfully we have not had issues with the power since late last night.

Posted by: HokieTerp | February 6, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsfan01 - I walked in from digging the car out a few minutes ago and measured 23.5" in Forest Glen.

Posted by: meganf | February 6, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

9:00a update: 19.5" in eastern Warren Co.

22.8F and snow coming down.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

9:00a update: 19.5" in eastern Warren Co.

22.8F and snow coming down.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Good morning Walter....are you crafting a plan for sculpture? I have my own rough Tower of Pisa from piling my snow

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

PEPCO is absolutely overwhelmed -- over 89,000 customers without power, and they are no longer providing estimates for power restoration (last night, some estimates were for Tuesday morning or later!)

In Potomac, MD, over 75% of the customers are without power.

If you live in Montgomery county and you still have power when this storm is over, you got lucky...

Posted by: stuckman | February 6, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

CWG - In Reston, VA (near Hunters Woods shopping center) my neighbors and I measured 24 inches in multiple locations (we measured 30 in one spot)...but I'm scratching my head b/c NWS scaled down their forecast and is saying only 18-26 inches in total accumulation...so...why the scale down?...and with more to come!?!?

Posted by: parksndc | February 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

20 inches here in upper NW DC near Chevy Chase. Heavy snow again.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

23" in Sterling. HOA plows stopped around midnight, will have a very hard time getting through now. I expect the gov to be closed on Monday, possibly Tuesday as well. Nobody is going anywhere for days.

Posted by: GovITguy | February 6, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: 16+ inches on the porch roof, fine snow still coming down. Just lost power, checking in before the UPS on the computer gives out.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 6, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Measured 19.5" at 9am, in Riverdale Park. I'm beat, just from shoveling to the 2 coops and the shed -- took me an hour, 3 shovels-full deep every step. I don't even want to think about the sidewalk and driveway......

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 6, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from a 2mile hike through MacGill's Common / Kings Contrivance area of Columbia MD, took several dozen measurements, some in the open and some in wind-protected areas showing much less evidence of drifting.

Bottom line: non-drifting protected areas =24.5", but consistently 23"-27" with a few minima ~21.

In areas showing marked drifting, minima ~18", maxima well over 3ft, guessing 42" in numerous places.

As Kevin-CWG & others have noted, this snow is MUCH heavier, denser than the December storm. The mass of water must already be appproaching 1.5x what we got in December.

I will post photos to the Snowpocalypse & Snowmageddon FB sites later.

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 6, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

18" close to the Vienna Metro at 8:30am. It's muchMUCH heavier snow than the December storm, and will be around for awhile. Even though it's heavy snow, it also drifted overnight in the winds, which is making shoveling even more fun.

Posted by: waltraud82 | February 6, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

In Thomas Circle, right at 14th and Mass Ave NW, I measured 10 different locations, on all sides, away from trees. The average of all together - 18.5! Snow intensity has just picked up again. Awesome storm!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

In North Arlington, near Westover, we have about 16-18 inches in the street, and that's at the top of a hill where the wind has blown a lot of snow off cars. And it looks like another inch or so since I shoveled the driveway at 8am.

Posted by: 27champs | February 6, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Wesley Heights/AU: 20 inches at 9am. Higher with drifts in places. I haven't measure the thickness of the snow on the walls of the house.

Posted by: ah___ | February 6, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@CWG how much can we expect 10 miles from this point say 19 miles for BWI at 10:00 am?4-6"?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Georgetwoner - Do you live very close to the river? That's the only thing I can think of that would explain the huge difference between your totals and the rest of us in the city. I'm just 20 blocks from Georgetown and easily have over 18 inches!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

tbva,
good morning yourself...

i'm in a state of semi-panic wondering how i can best use all this wonderful snow. like i mentioned earlier, this is a lot more than the dec 19th snow - in terms of mass, density, and compressed volume.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

17.5 inches near Wheaton, MD. Moderate snow. Wind est. NE@10. Anemometer is frozen. Barometer an impressively low 29.56 in.

Posted by: landlaw | February 6, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

21" in Arlington near East Falls Church. A few neighbors and I starting to dig one-shovel wide paths on the sidewalks but it is slow-going. Take your time and rest often.

Posted by: AlwaysBiking | February 6, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

about 24 in bethesda, md and still coming on the grass area. in different places there are different measures. snow accumulation ranges from 18 to 24 in my backyard. i dont even wanna look at the driveway. yikes!

Posted by: jjsoccer1125 | February 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

It appears as this storm is performing as expected for most with a few surprises and a few disappointments. I think the general 20-30 inches range will be common by the time snow winds down this evening. It has been snowing for nearly 24 hours her in NW DC with at least another 6 inches of snow for most people by dark.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

22 inches on my deck in Silver Spring/Olney (Layhill/Norbeck)

Posted by: tusekine | February 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Incidentally, the sheer mass of water volume contained within this dense snow will make for some great canoeing & kayaking in the coming weeks. :-)

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 6, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm not making this up. Srsly. As a matter of fact, I posted those results because I'm so suprised that there's not much going on here overnight while everyone else is getting inundated.

We're getting light fluffy snow now at 9:45am and coming down last December-class.

What wasn't a major beeyatch two hours ago now is.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | February 6, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Lusby checking in with 8" of mixed sleet and snow. Sleeted for hours last night. We have thankfully managed to keep power! I am so looking forward to spring.

Posted by: joann20657 | February 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Just walked down to Rosslyn. 16 inches in the open areas. CVS, Cosi, Starbucks, McDonalds all open. Lots of kids walking across Key Bridge on their way to Metro and the BB game downtown.

Posted by: marathoner | February 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Sat. morning...

A tree down across Grosvenor Lane just west of the overpass is blocking through access between Rockville Pike and Cheshire Lane (near Wildwood Shopping Center).

Sandra in Rockville

Posted by: populationtrends | February 6, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

walking around the yard in the woods near leesburg

protected areas 24-26
under the trees in the yard 22-24
still snowing like crazy

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all! I'd say easily another foot has fallen overnight on top of my 8" when I went to bed...which officially puts my neighborhood over whjere we were in December...and it is still falling heavily.

WTOP just reported a roof collapse of a house in DC...no injuries....but it sounds like the weight is starting to take it's toll.

Everyone be careful as you go out to shovel...this is heavy snow, and takes a lot more effort than what we had 2 months ago...listen to your body and if it starts letting you know something is wrong, drop the shovel and go inside.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Near Old Georgetown and Democracy Blvd.

The Giant is open, but power is out, so you can't buy anything that's refrigerated/frozen.

CVS and Starbucks seem to be closed at Wildwood.

The good news: It's not that cold out. Worth a walk. Work off those carbs before you put them on.

Sandra again

Posted by: populationtrends | February 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@--sg: Don't worry, those are Quebec and Ontario robins. They shouldn't freeze to death. They are berry eaters so there may be a berry bush or juniper tree near your house.

@Walter-in-Falls-Church, I'm eagerly awaiting your next creation.

8 am snow report from southeastern Silver spring. These surfaces were pretty much cleared last night by 9:30 pm.
Front porch 4 inches
First step 6 inches
Second step 8 inches
Third step 9 inches
Fourth step 10 inches
Sidewalk 10.5 inches

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

@ JJones-CapitalWeatherGang, this snowfall is extremely hard to measure. My neighbors think I'm a crazy person as I dart from area to area sticking my ruler in and out trying to maintain my balance. The snow is very wet and heavy. Best I can come up with is 12 inches- I'm near King Street metro. Seems to match with the 13.5 Reagan totals. Fees like less snow that the 12/19 storm so far, but the weight of the snow must pack it all down. I'm going to take a more extensive walk in a bit.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@Georgetwoner

I dunno - your measurements sound suspicious. Were they taken BEFORE or AFTER the bourbon?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Looks like 16" so far in Woodstock, VA and still snowing.

Posted by: runningpoet | February 6, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

New post is up. Please begin commenting there.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I have to believe 10 miles soth of BWI and looking out my windows I haver 18"+ but that said this storm has an entirely differnt feel than th 21"+ Decembrt19th storm! I am hoping that this will be top 5 at all airports!!!! But I am hopeful that will happen at DC!

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I think for snowstorm lovers most of DC has been very lucky with this storm. We are in heaviest snow bulls eye along with Baltimore and Philly who are also seeing impressive totals and most of are did not mix and did not see any dry slot. We could have gotten really ripped off people but think most with end up around 2 ft of snow with some close to 30 inches. I would not surprise to see some areas near 3 ft in DC suburbs Baltimore, Delware and Philly suburbs. I am glad this storm has been more widespread than thought because it makes it that much more memorable.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

We are in the River Hill neighborhood of Columbia (near Rt. 29 & 32). At 10 am, we have 29 inches! Still getting moderate snow. NWS predicts we will get an additional 7-11 inches before it ends. We may end up with 3 feet by the time it's over.

The snow is up to the bottom of our window sills. I sprinkled bird seed on top of the snow right outside the windows. Our cat now has a front-row seat to a dozens of hungry birds.

Posted by: beach57 | February 6, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Ijamsville, Frederick County Plowing update #3

Most impressive storm in my life. Everyone enjoy their super bowl weekend - Very few of us in the northern and northeast suburbs will be at the office on Monday -

Should have stayed awake all night. Completely outgunned with a 24hp 4 wheel drive tractor with a 54 inch blade. I need a bucket, not the blade. Took two hours to clear about 100 yards. We live off the county road. Might see that road with my truck perhaps on Monday, at this rate.

Snow depth, easy 24-27 inches. We'd have 30 on the ground if it stuck between 11-5 yesterday. Drifts are very impressive. It is snowing very hard here, and has, steady, since 6am. The wrap around is in full effect. Time for eggs, bacon and more coffee. Beer will taste very good around 4 today...fingers crossed on the power...

Posted by: drc231 | February 6, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Here's a better power outage map from Dominion Virignia Power. It's interactive - you can see just where the outages are, how many customers are affected, and when they think they'll get it fixed.

Posted by: dottie_b | February 6, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

short video of snow removal in Virginia Square (Arlington) last night...

Posted by: jase700 | February 6, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@Murre: Thank you! :-) There are berry bushes around here but they're buried under so much snow I can't imagine how the birds will find them. Makes me wish I'd hung a feeder on my balcony - kind of late for me to think of that now.

Posted by: --sg | February 6, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

How much should I expect from hereon out?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Bowie, very near Central/301 - looks like 20" in the middle of the back yard, based on the tape I put on the bird feeder yesterday. Looks like a reasonably level spot. 16" on my car's trunk, 26" in the snowbank on the northeast side of the car. Still coming down hard

Posted by: jace2 | February 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD - I just walked around and shoveled a bit.

Snow is thick, heavy, wet on the bottom and drifting.

Measurements are 20" to 24" consistently on non-plowed/un-treated surfaces that had no snow at the beginning of the storm - so all new snow.

Accumulations on the roads is about 4" to 6" less. I haven't seen a plow in over 12 hours and now I'm wondering if the regular plow (pick-up with a plow) can even make it down the street.

Keep in mind we had some snow still left over from Wednesday - so depths of 28"+ are now common in areas where we had prior snow.

I shoveled down to bare pavement/sidewalk and after 10 minutes it was all covered again - so its coming down at a pretty good clip.

Some trees are down due to snow. Wind is picking up and gusting pretty strong.

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

20" in Tenleytown/Friendship Heights area, seems to track well with some of the other obs in this thread.

Posted by: Rockette | February 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

There's a new post up!

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Why do you guys never include an outage map for Allegheny Power? All of upper Montgomery County, Frederick County, and all of West Virginia is served by Allegheny.

Posted by: MKadyman | February 6, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

This is awewme - can we expect another 10"

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

well, the board seems borked, but fwiw... 22 inches in Kensington, MD (tying Dec 19 storm here) and coming down at 1" per hour.

Posted by: h0db | February 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Come on, DC, MD and VA,

Stay inside and keep warm. If you want real snow, come to Nebraska.

Posted by: skador | February 6, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

At least 25" in Wheaton/Silver Spring Line....near Dennis and Ga

Posted by: cooldavej | February 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Still coming down like crazy in Dupont: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vxsarin/4334492869/

The snow is really hard, and I'm able to walk on top of it.

Posted by: PaulFrederiksen | February 6, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

GasBag Gore reportedly stuck in a snow drift holding onto his Nobel Prize Trophy !!!

Posted by: thgirbla | February 6, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

These are the photos from Alexandria. We are across the street from the Eisenhower station. We measured about 15 inches 30 minutes ago but not sure how accurate it is. http://bit.ly/9lifbM

Posted by: sfeuer | February 6, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

20" in beautiful downtown Downsville, MD.-6 miles south of beautiful downtown Hagerstown, which I hear has 24 ".

Posted by: therev1 | February 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD

3 ours of shoveling and not finised

still dumping here

visibility about a quarter mile

not a plow in sight

must be closing in on 20+ inches

time for a beer!:)

anyone have an accurate snow total for Crofton?

Posted by: thedude3 | February 6, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

You have been consistently wrong about the temperature in the DC vincinity, for weeks now. Before, during, and after this last storm the temperature hardly ever dipped under 30, if at all. The blizard that you forecasted practically did not materialize, as the snow continued to fall wet and heavy, for the most part. Slush everywhere again today. Now, 10:00 PM, it is just a few degrees under 30, when we you said we would be in deep freeze all day. Again, you are forecasting a "snow storm" with temperatures way above freezing. Get your "storms" right please...

Posted by: RegisUrgel | February 7, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

After 60 years living in Northern Virginia, we've finally set a record never to be forgotten. Keep coming snow and deepen and clean-up the Potomac River.

Posted by: washpost39 | February 11, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse