The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/ 7/2010

Forecast: More snow?... Are you kidding?

By Brian Jackson

Midweek storm may bring accumulating snow or mix

* Detailed look at next snow threat: SLCB | A mess to be reckoned with *
* NWS snow totals (WaPo map) | Report snow to CWG (see reports) *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

6Snow lovers wake up to find it wasn't just a dream. But cabin fever sets in for those who can't get out.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny and chilly. Upper 20s to near 30. | Tonight: A few clouds. Near 10 to mid-teens. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Near 30 or low 30s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The monster snow has snarled travel and Super Bowl parties alike, but at least we'll have some sun as we dig out and take baby steps back toward normal. Despite the brighter skies, a chilly air mass takes command for the next several days, and it may be cold enough to give us another round of snow or a wintry mix Tuesday into Wednesday.

Clouds: Latest mid-Atlantic infrared satellite loop, courtesy Unisys. Click here to expand. Refresh page to update. See more maps on our Weather Wall

Today (Sunday): A slushy layer at the bottom of all that snow likely turned to ice overnight, so take care when walking or shoveling. Despite partly sunny skies, this massive snowpack and breezes from the northwest around 10 mph keep highs in the upper 20s to near 30. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Another chilly night with a few clouds, light winds from the northwest and lows dipping from near 10 to the mid-teens (suburbs to city). Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast into next week, which includes our next wintry threat....

Snow buries benches yesterday on the National Mall. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Tomorrow (Monday): Mostly sunny skies should greet those who make an attempt to get to work on Monday. Temperatures still struggle to climb much past freezing. Expect highs near 30 or in the low 30s and winds from the northwest around 10 mph. A few scattered clouds may begin to work in toward evening. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: We'll see partly cloudy skies turning mostly cloudy overnight as our next system begins its approach from the southwest. Temperatures will again be on the cold side, dipping into the teens to near 20. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Mostly cloudy skies Tuesday with highs in the low-to-mid 30s and the potential for light snow or mixed precipitation in the afternoon and/or evening. The chance of steadier, heavier snow or mixed precipitation increases Tuesday night into Wednesday, with winds likely to become blustery by late Wednesday. Accumulations of snow or snow/sleet on the order of several inches are not out of the question, but details are sketchy right now. See the Snow Lover's Crystal Ball for more on this threat. Confidence: Low

By Brian Jackson  | February 7, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Midweek storm has snowy potential
Next: Watch out for those ice dams!

Comments

First!

Posted by: HaymarketDV | February 7, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Good morning and great coverage Capital Weather Gang! Here is my final report on the Blizzard of 2010 (or whatever you want to call it.

Ready for more SNOW!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 7, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

If we stay all snow for the next event, both the NAM & GFS are hinting towards 12"+ for the DC area are they not?

Posted by: snowlover | February 7, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

From the guy in the bullseye "great."/

shaking head, shrugging shoulders, palms facing up.

Posted by: DullesARC | February 7, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

74 inches on the year here in Loudoun now - smell that one Buffalo/Cleveland/Duluth! With El Nino still producing, I would not rule out hitting 100 inches by the time all is said and done around April 3 or so. You heard it here first - 100 inches. (and probably 5 inches all next year :))

Posted by: DullesARC | February 7, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Before I start shoveling again, I want to say thanks to the whole team at CWG!

You all are the best source for local weather. I especially appreciate how you lay out the thinking behind your forecasts.

Posted by: waltraud82 | February 7, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

If the snow isn't off the car by Tuesday, then it'll all be ice on Wednesday.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 7, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Go Caps..this town has been crushed by snow...everyone can come together at noon today....at Verizon Center or at home...GO CAPS!

Posted by: SA-Town | February 7, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I think that this storm has proven that DC has to change it's official reporting station from National Airport. I saw a graphic last night that had a very large area of 20-30 inches of snow, including National Airport, but National was still reporting only 17.8. I think that New York City measures it's snow by taking several measurements at different locations in Central Park. They then take the average of all of the measurements. I don't see why DC can't use the same system, and we can have an accurate estimate of the snowfall, instead of National's ridiculous numbers.

Posted by: rginsburg | February 7, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

@rginsburg, as noted last night, couldn't agree more. DCA shouldn't be the official snow reporting station for here. It's time to change this!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 7, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Just another grateful supporter of the Gang. CWG has provided a real home for a community of weather enthusiasts, and your forecasts and beautiful pictures- and the Snow Lovers Crystal Ball- are really appreciated. It would have been nice if the national press- and the President- had given CWG and its blog community credit for "Snowpocalypse" and "Snowmageddon." CWG is my main reason for using washingtonpost.com, and I am so glad you guys are here for us!

Posted by: ChevyChase3 | February 7, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

It was so nice to wake up and see...no more snow had fallen since I shoveled last yesterday at 6p. We have had two plow passes on our street in Falls Church...leaving a 5X5X8 chunk at the driveway apron. Please don't do the cubic feet math for me...it will be one shovel at a time with the small metal shovel.

Posted by: tbva | February 7, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Seriously. To whom do we bother at the NWS?

Posted by: DontWannaMyPostID | February 7, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been noted but IAD has definitely surpassed their all-time snowfall record. The 60.0 inches there is about two inches more than 1995-96.

BWI is getting close or may have surpassed their all-time seasonal record and we know DCA is very close to their comparatively puny all-time record.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 7, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Adding in my $.02 on how great the CWG is. Excellent job keeping us informed and educated!

Posted by: EricCarr | February 7, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Just got our power back a couple hours ago here in Olney. It went out about 24 hours ago (I had just put the coffee up but had not hit the switch when it went down). As much as I love snowstorms, I have to say you get a different perspective when you are closed in with a child who is cold and bored and you cannot provide a warm meal. We played endless games during the day while eating chips and salsa and PB&Js. We used the treadmill with our own foot power. When it got dark, we warmed our hands over candles, and huddled together under a blanket until we went to bed. Woke up in the wee hours to a numbing cold. Woke up later to still numbing cold but this time clock radio was blinking. Hours later, the heat is still struggling to get past 61 but it is the sweetest feeling.

So I guess I will continue to do snowdances but with a healthier appreciation for what might happen---and for the fact that there are many out there who have it so much worse.

Posted by: lilymama | February 7, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I have been following the CWG (formerly CAPx) for about 6 years now, and as always they did a fantastic job keeping us informed throughout this storm! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: snowlover | February 7, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

This may be heresy to some folks, but we lose power often enough around here that if you have a children, buy a small honda generator, ask an electrician to hook up a bypass switch and then run it once a year to make sure it works.

I see so many smart people around here who have built multi million dollar homes, but their lives fall to pieces if they lose power, something that they could guard against for about $1,000, which is the equivalent of 2 car payments or a year of cell phone bills.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 7, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

To the CWG:

New to the site as of last week. Thank you, thank you, thank you for such fantastic forecasting/coverage of the storm. Reading what was going on in various areas from fellow bloggers added to the feeling of camaraderie during the storm.

I am looking forward to a long, educational, enjoyable relationship with the CWG and all weather junkies here.

Posted by: pmknp | February 7, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

@lilymama, glad you got your power back and are keeping a perspective.

Again, kudos to CWG for making this remarkable space available. A (very) few comments posted on the chat line are slushy, but overall CWG sets the standard for comparable internet spaces.

Finally, for Ronnie, our Washington Post delivery person for the 32 years I've lived in Glover Park: if you're reading this, we know you'd be delivering the paper if you could get through these snow-clogged streets. So not to worry.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 7, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

CWG - I can't see the local snow total reports on the map. Think I read others complaining about this... Please look into this. Cheers!

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 7, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

@ombudsman1---this is only the 2nd time we've lost power in the 9 years I've lived here. The last time was during Hurricane Isabel. So buying a generator never occurred to me. If this outage had persisted beyond this AM, we'd have dug out and gone to either friends or to a hotel.

Posted by: lilymama | February 7, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I love this site, and want to add my Thanks! for a job well done to the comments above. I've been following this site for years now (since the Capx days) and never cease to be impressed with the thoughtful and well done work here. I have endured quite a bit of good natured ribbing from friends and family about my weather geekiness and addiction to this site. But when this storm started brewing this week, I got quite a few emails requesting this link. I think you have probably won many new fans the past few days :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@lilymama Glad to read you have power again... we are only about 5 miles up the road from Olney, but on a different circuit so we only lost power for a few hours. I have to agree that once you lose power the fun of a snowstorm evaporates. So glad to hear power is back for you and your family. Here's to hoping everyone without power gets it restored today! Good luck.

Posted by: dprats21 | February 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the nice words all. We're aware of the problem with the snowfall reporting map and are working on it.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I am seriously considering buying a snow blower...and I live in a townhouse community. Bet I could make some nice change at the rate we are going...LOL.

In the meantime...my unofficial official number is 25". I might not see my deck until the 4th of July. (It is on the north side of the TH...out of the sun...)

Kudos to CWG for the forecast and updates. I tell everyone and anyone to turn to you all when stormy weather (regardless of time of year) is on the horizon, because rarely do you all have a "bust". Plus, it is a lot more fun to interact with ya'll and the other regulars than just watching the same old same old on tv. (Will Bombo miss a dance? Will Walter be able to sculpt another massive insect?)

Off to try and dig out my car. If only to have that off the list...because once I dig it out, there is no way I can actually drive it anywhere with the roads being what they are. LOL.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 7, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

More snow Tuesday night could be devastating. Roofs are stressed. Eventually all of this will melt, risking flooding.

Roofs have already collapsed in more than one building. Ambulances were stuck trying to get to people that needed help. So for everyone that criticized me - explain how this is different from a tropical system in terms of danger?

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 7, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Southside -

It's not. It was a winter hurricane. Anyone who argued with you is dead wrong. This was devastating, deadly, and crippling. And yet, some are cheering for more. I honestly don't understand that mindset.

I'm begging of the Tues. storm, please, please miss us. We need a week at least to return to any sense of normalcy without anymore snow.

Where are normal temps??????? We should be in the mid-40's by now.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 7, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2

Me too. In fact, my bookmark is still set to www.capitalweather.com, which redirects to this site.

Posted by: bdeco | February 7, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

If the kids are out all week, I'll have to cancel my summer vacation. I won't have enough vacation time left.
My neighbor is upset because when her work closes, she simply doesn't get paid. Her husband was laid off and they need the money.
I don't get those who say that the snow 'adds calm to their schedule.' I spent ALL day shoveling yesterday in addition to much of Friday night. And, I am still not done. I have not broke through the plow mountain. I think I have 4 hours of work ahead of me.
In any case, I can appreciate a spectacular weather event as much as anyone. And hoping for it to happen/not happen of course does not affect things. But, I can clearly see why people who are affected badly get annoyed with those who wish for more on top of what we already have.

Posted by: 1Reader | February 7, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring:

Having lived, in Florida, through numerous hurricanes of varying intensity from barely 1s to Cat. 3s and 4s, this storm was nothing - again, nothing - like a hurricane. Don't even try to make the comparison.

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 7, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Add my kudos to the CWG!! The information provided helps a great deal to the nether regions of Southern Maryland where we often feel neglected. Living 1/2 mile from the bay makes for interesting at best and violent at worse weather conditions not seen in other places in the DC metro area. THANKS CWG!

Posted by: joann20657 | February 7, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Agree with both perspectives. Hurricane has powerful, damaging winds, much higher than a blizzard. A blizzard, for us, leaves a lot less "damage" and a lot more "mess". Long term impact is less, not billions in insurance claims. But when you lose power during hurricane season, you usually dont freeze to death.

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 7, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@ThinkSpring, you got what you wanted for the past 6 winters. Let us snow lover enjoy this once in a century winter. you can enjoy the next 5 winters, but this is the winter of the snow lover

Posted by: samdman95 | February 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Some of the chatter on Eastern US WX says the latest model runs could give us even 6-12." Others say this will be more of an impact east of here.

Do you expect to complete another analysis soon? I presume it may be another 12 hours before the models mean something meaningful

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 7, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Will the fed close Monday? That's the critical question. For someone with power still working, that is.

Posted by: watchingweather | February 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Really interesting site. Wound up measuring 24 inches in my backyard in Newington. Any updates on fed closing tomorrow?

Posted by: spot599 | February 7, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I can't see the Feds being open if Metro rail is only underground service and bus routes are only running on emergency routes.

Posted by: tbva | February 7, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The model "reasonable range" right now looks to be about 5-10" to me for Tue night's event, but we are keeping a bigger range due to the uncertainty with this system. This is more complicated, because we are dealing with two lows and an energy transfer to the coast. This storm could actually cause more trouble for the Northeast cities (NYC, Boston) this time.

Posted by: MattRogers | February 7, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Measured 26-28" last night, we'll call it 27" (could have compacted some, I measured at 8).

Kudos to CWG for the great job covering the storm. I, for one, have been glued to the site since last week.

Posted by: Sterlingva | February 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I think the deep re-freeze tonight (low of 15!) might create some more issues with ice on the roads that will make clearing by Monday morning more of a challenge.

Who knows, late start Monday for Fed?

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

SouthsideFFX, ThinkSpring,

i guess we appreciate your being the "adult" voice of reason here, reminding us that snow isn't all fun and games. so, in that spirit, lets evaluate yesterday's storm for its "hardship quotient".

this was just about the biggest snowstorm this area has ever had. for a proper comparison, you'd have to compare it to maybe hurricane andrew hitting florida. or less appropos, but something locals may remember, the remnants of hurricane isabel coming through here. i daresay (without any actual facts or stats....) the feb '10 storm caused less damage than andrew or isabel. i'd be curious to see stats of electrical outages, deaths, and property damage for isabel vs the feb '10 snow storm.

sure, there was a case of fire engine not being able to reach a house, and so it burned down....absolutely tragic.... i'd be willing to bet there were LESS traffic accidents, assaults, robberies, deaths and crimes in general than on a "normal" day - mostly because we were all "hunkered down". in this sense, it's irresponsible to "root for" normal weather....

also, i bet more people helped out neighbors and strangers than on a "normal" day.

i fear the day, when all this melts sufficiently, when everyone takes to the streets in full force and we can get back to our normal amount of traffic deaths....

;-)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 7, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I dont think people talking about a delayed start for the Fed monday have any idea how bad things are out there. I live on a rather major 2 lane road in Rockville. It is always cleared fast. It has never been un-drivable thru the whole storm, but is a packed sheet of ice now and I seldom see a plow pass. Side streets? maybe Wed Thursday?

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 7, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"CWG rocks" My son wants a Tshirt! You guys make it easier to understand what's coming and how much we need to do to get ready. Thank you so much!

We gave up on measuring...we know we got a lot.
From work most that I know were "snow related' injuries...people need to use more common sense. We saw a lot of people out in cars without 4 wheel drive. Tssk. Tssk.
Have shoveled others out...made multiple grocery runs (before the storm) for those that could not, and headed to the nearest shelter this afternoon to drop off some things. Meals on wheels later this week...and I do have a family with responsibilities and a job that does not get cancelled. For the people that are poo pooing the snow lovers...what have you done to help?

SWester2010~ I was in Hurricane Hugo...I'll take this any day! I did not have to sit in a bathtub and see part of the roof fly away.

Off to check neighbors and start digging out the igloo...looks like we had enough for an extra room!

Posted by: motherrunner | February 7, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Power came back on after about 29 hours without. I was going stir crazy not being able to access the site. Or tell everyone I told you so that laughed when I bought the battery powered radio (with hand crank) and space blankets. We kept the food cold on the back deck.

As for more snow -- just got this to say "No mas." Bring on summer.

Posted by: epjd | February 7, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

People who are asking about the Feds... it was posted in last nights comments that they OPM plans to make an announcement by kickoff today.

Posted by: megamuphen | February 7, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

@CWG- Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all that you do!! I'm a new found fan and enjoyed the coverage all wonderful weekend! Have been singing your praises to family members and friends, too! :-)

@SWester2010- I agree completely with you!! I lived for 4 years on the Gulf Coast of MS (so glad I moved before Katrina and didn't get there til after Camille!), and have also lived through every major natural disaster minus a tsunami.

Family and I talked about it-- what were the best/worst and why of natural disasters/events. The shear devestation and magnitude of a hurricane is unparalleled to anything-- other than maybe a major ice storm. Ice storms without power are so cripling that we felt those deserved special recognition.

1-week or so of clean up and residuals isn't much when you compare it to other storms/events.

Now- with respect to all here- the area and its resources also do factor in to the impact and perception.

Still... I'll gladly take this storm over any hurricane, earthquake, sand storm, etc. Let's be grateful we got snow instead of 3" of ice-- had it gone the route of an ice storm in theory.

May all find a moment to enjoy the beauty of their lives.

Posted by: aquarnnr | February 7, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Should I be worried about an 8PM Tuesday flight into BWI? How about a 70 mile drive home from BWI at 9PM?

Missed this last one, suicidal if have to miss another!

Posted by: dustygroundhog | February 7, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hear, hear SWester2010, motherrunner, samdman95 and walter-in-fallschurch!

I have weathered many hurricanes and typhoons (Hurricane Andrew and a typhoon in the 70's being catastrophic) and I don't think yesterdays storm is a fair comparison, not even close.

I am sure the residents of NOLA would agree.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 7, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

We live in Rockville and normally our streets are plowed quickly...we haven't seen a plow and we have downed cable/telephone wires dotting the streets...as a contractor for the government, I cannot really see how they would be open tomorrow, or even Tuesday. We'll see though...

Posted by: authorofpoetry | February 7, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I can understand why many are ready for spring. The shoveling is crappy. The impact to future plans is annoying. The inability to do what we normally take for granted is distressing. I don't doubt that there are financial hardships involved and serious situations that are created because of this. All that said, whether we hope for more snow or hope for spring, we are gonna get what we get. It is what it is. Personally, I think it can be a good thing to be forced to handle difficulties and be thrown out of our element for a while. It keeps us thinking and makes us better for the future. In no way shape or form am I looking forward shoveling another half foot of snow come Tuesday. But if Mother Nature brings it, I will gaze and admire at the beauty of a freshly fallen snow maybe take a little walk...then start shoveling and planning what to do with 3 young kids...

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 7, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Any ideas on what it's going to feel like next winter, when for the whole season we get a total of 5" of mushy mix?

And by the way - if skiing is your thing, this is probably the best year on the mid-atlantic mountains (whitetail, liberty, etc) that you'll probably see for another decade! Can't wait to hit the slopes this week...

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 7, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

A few days after the 1979 blizzard (which was a dry snow), we had freezing rain. Oy, vey, that really did it!

I know some people dread the thought of more snow but given snow or mixed precip that would ice down the snow we now have, I'd rather see plain snow.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

My Fairfax-County street has been well-plowed and sanded by the contractor for our HOA . . . and it's still too treacherous for a normal car, with huge icy lakes forming at corners. I can't imagine the fed gov't opening tomorrow.

Posted by: InVA1 | February 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to break out the XC skis in a few but will use caution and turn around if/when I see tree branches down all over the place. Huntington Avenue has down branches everywhere, luckily nearly everyone fell where cars and roofs aren't. Car looks to be still stuck in the row of the parking lot that didn't get plowed yet. I parked in that row because there is a wider median (i.e. more places to put snow). Oh well, I lucked out power-wise so no complaints. I don't need my car for a while anyway.

I agree with those who said this storm, while damaging, was no hurricane. Even a weak hurricane (Bob in 1991 that crept up on everyone by surprise because the Russia stuff was happening the same day) drops tons of more trees, branches, and utility poles. Now I know more may still fall under the weight of the snow but at least winds won't be helping that happen very much for a day or two.

Re: Dominion needing to cut lines, I left my heat on in the bedroom while I went out for a few hours just in case that scenario played out and I'd at least start with a warmer room. I may do the same today. Filed under taking advantage of power when you have it.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | February 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I don't understand from reading all the other posts-

I live in Alexandria, on a residential street near Duke and 395. I've seen snow plows do the road outside my apartment building at least 20 times since Friday.

Why are they concentrating so much effort to clear my not-so-important road and not getting to some equally important and perhaps even bigger roads in other areas?

Posted by: watchingweather | February 7, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all you do, Captial Weather Gang. And now, I get to break out the Yaktrax I got for Christmas. Love it.

Posted by: phanieb | February 7, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good morning all. Piping in from Rockville Town Center here. First of all to CWG, you all ROCK!!!!! Big time, I have been glued to this site since I discovered it two weeks ago. 2ndly, Kudos to my Washington Post paper delivery guy (think name is Chris) I was pleasantly surprised to wake up and see not only today's paper but yesterday's paper waiting for me this morning :)

3rd. I echo alot of the sentiments posted re: enough is enough. My sister has been without power since Friday, they can't even get out of their driveway, she's got 3 kids and a husband who is a Dr. that is snowed in and can't get to his patients (yes they have a Denali but they haven't seen a plow!!! Also, if I don't work, I don't get paid so, getting to work for me is critical. Anyhoo. Enough kvetching. Thanks again CWG for all your hard work!!!

Posted by: dibabe | February 7, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Any comments on road conditions? Namely, main roads in Gaithersburg, Germantown, Rockville area? Am I crazy to go to someone's house tonight for Super Bowl since we lost our cable?

Posted by: derrickd | February 7, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

After having no power for most of the day yesterday and last night, the constant shoveling, and watching trees fall in the area...I love the snow...but I'm over this winter...this is getting to be a little too much!!! ANOTHER storm on Tues? arg..then Friday I assume as well? YIKES!

Posted by: parksndc | February 7, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I took a drive this morning here in Leesburg. A great drive and the roads were in pretty good shape all things considered.

Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 7, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I enjoy weather events in general - and snow in particular, so I'm not exactly impartial.

But having lived through both I think this storm is right around the same kind of impact as Hurricane Isabel passing through Maryland.

In fact, I think if we get significant warming flooding in the same areas will be an issue. Especially with more precip coming mid-week and next weekend - regardless of what form that precip takes.

Posted by: Vingold | February 7, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The 12Z GFS gives 1.25 QPF to DC, 1.5 to Baltimore, and maybe more than that to Philly. At a 10:1 snow ratio, that's more than a foot of fresh powder, and those ratios may be higher.

Posted by: HillcrestDC | February 7, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Capital Weather rocks!! I tell family and neighbors and coworkers and cyberfriends about this site.

Posted by: Murre | February 7, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, megamuphen, for the update on OPMs plans.

Posted by: watchingweather | February 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to add my thanks and congratulations to CWG for some truly awesome, honest forecasting/reporting. You guys got a well-deserved mention on dcrtv.com, as well as I'm sure in other places.

Also Chuck Bell on NBC4 deserves some credit for being a brave fellow snow lover and taking grief on the air from his co-anchors this morning for hoping for a record-setting winter.

SouthsideFFX, ThinkSpring, seriously - why are you even on this blog? All you do is complain to the hundreds of people here who are simply, happy. You must be real thrills to have at a party with all your gloom and doom, the-sky-is-falling attitudes. I'd love to know what you do to HELP these dire situations you constantly gripe over. Or is complaining all you've got?

Had a great potluck wth some neighbors last night after a day of collective shoveling... nursing sore muscles today. But can't wait to shovel more on Wed morning!!!

Posted by: DaveB2 | February 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I just took the pooch on a 3 hour walk around the White House, up to Dupont Circle, Meridian Hill and back to Logan Circle. 14th street still has a few inches of compacted snow and ice on about 90% of the portions I saw.

All the other roads are in awful shape or impassable. During my walk, I witnessed two fender benders and several cars get stuck - even on larger secondary roads like 13th and 16th Streets and P. St. NW.

There's NO WAY feds open up tomorrow.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 7, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

@phanieb- ooooh- yaktrax! Tell me how you like them. I got some LL Bean snow sneakers that are GREAT for my snowy hikes, but they don't go to my knees- which I need in this weather :) I do have some Merril snowboots which are knee high, light and good for long hikes in the snow, but their tread doesn't grip as much as I'd like for icy sidewalks.

I like the idea of yaktrax put on my regular walking boots. However, I did hear they were inconvenient for going in and out of doors (shopping on King Street, for example) as you slide on indoor surfaces.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Arlington County Schools- closed tomorrow.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 7, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the kudos everyone. And thanks for sticking with us during the storm!

Re: comments about power outages. For those who lost power, what were some of the other strategies you used to keep yourselves warm/food edible/kids occupied? I was thinking of all of you as temperatures dipped last night. Unfortunately, no relief from the cold in sight.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 7, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Aside from fewer lanes than normal and the occasional crazy person, the major roads/highways are in dencent shape. Getting to work today took about 80 minutes for a normal 45-50 minute commute. Still wouldn't recommend going out though, really, where are you going to go?

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"All you do is complain to the hundreds of people here who are simply, happy." DaveB2

I'll remember this next winter when you and everyone else on here are complaining that we aren't getting 30 inches of snow.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 7, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I think some of you are overreacting a little. I'm not trying to dampen anyone's fun - but the fact is, I am very concerned about me and my neighbors if we get more snow. This area isn't equipped to handle this. And I wasn't comparing this to Hurricane Andrew or Hurricane Katrina - two of the worst hurricanes ever. But Isaballe is a good comparison.

And I don't need to prove to you what I have done to help my neighbors. We have a great neighborhood, and we all help each other out all the time, not just during a snow storm.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 7, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@derrickd- City of Rockville crews plow 24/7 355/Hungerford Drive looks driveable, it's the side roads that may still be a problem. If you don't have 4WD and good snow tires/chains I wouldn't risk it :(

Posted by: dibabe | February 7, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

A few comments. The Feb 6-7 storm in Boston was both a hurricane (wind gusts to 89 or 90 at BOS) and a huge snowstorm (27.2 at BOS, more in Cambridge, where I lived. Houses were wrecked, blown off their foundations, reduced to matchsticks, along the coast.

This one cost me 20 feet of brand-new gutter, which just came crashing down.

This one also has convinced me that snowfall records are, well, slushy. How on earth can you get a precise number? I measured everywhere from 19 to about 25 around my house. There were from 0 to 1.5 inches on the ground already. So, what did I get? I'm saying 21.5, but AU, only a couple miles from here, reported 27.5. I bet say 12th and F Sts NW didn't get more than 15 or 16. So what did DC get? IAD's report has gone from 32.1 to 28.4; what do you think that process entailed? SO let's not obsess about precise numbers (although I confess I do; was this one #3 or # 4, for example?); let's just say it was a big one.

And for those of you who think DCA wouldn't have got a lot in the Knickerbocker storm, don't; 28 inches was measured downtown, up to 33 elsewhere within the District's borders. That was the real thing, and remember also there was a way smaller urban heat island back then.

Cool video of Leesburg!

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 7, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

And I forgot to add my kudos to CWG; great job, great site.

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 7, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

MoCo public schools just announced that they are closed Monday and Tuesday. Administrative offices and all facilities are also closed and activities are also cancelled for Monday.

Posted by: soleil2000 | February 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's right--there IS ice under all the snow this morning. In addition, SouthsideFFX and ThinkSpring are right in that there is a degree of hardship in dealing with all this accumulation, and that another foot of snow from the next storm will likely make things rough for a lot of people this week.

I have to deal with a couple of dances scheduled tomorrow and Tuesday nights. The Tuesday night dance at Clarendon Ballroom presents a particular issue--they don't like to cancel due to the weather. Tomorrow, much will depend on what Metro and the Feds decide.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 7, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Feds need to stay closed tomorrow to give the crews one more day to work on the roads. On the other hand to think that everybody will stay home is naive. I think Tuesday will still be a commuting nightmare, and with another storm coming, all bets are off for the rest of the week.

Posted by: labs4m3 | February 7, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax County Schools are closed tomorrow too.

Also, thanks CWG for the excellent coverage! You've been my go-to weather site for awhile now, and your coverage of this storm is the reason why I keep coming back. Between your meteorologists and the commentators on this board, I've learned so much more about this storm and weather in general than from any other source. Bravo and keep up the good work.

Posted by: Melewen | February 7, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to second all the kudos to CWG. I started looking at this blog a few days before the December blizzard and have been hooked since. I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to science so the fact that I can actually understand almost all of what the CWG moderators write about the weather runs or whatever they're called is testament to their clarity and the helpfulness of this blog. I've totally impressed my colleagues with my new-found ability to accurately predict school closings (I'm a teacher) thanks to CWG! I've clued them into this blog so unfortunately I'm no longer the only person who gets the closing calls correct. Anyway, just my 2 cents!

Oh, before I go...thanks goes out to my WaPo delivery person. I'm very impressed that I received both today's and yesterday's Post this morning.

Posted by: snickering | February 7, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the volunteer network of weather observers with CoCoRaHS, we now have some eye-popping storm totals to report. Keep in mind that these volunteers use NWS-approved precip gauges, and are trained to ensure accuracy. The data below cover the entire two-day storm event.

Highest Snow Total: 39.0" (3.11" liquid) at New Market, MD. Runner-up was Elkridge, MD with 38.3" snow (3.34" liquid). There was a report of 42" at Jarrettsville, MD but without corresponding snow water equivalent (i.e., melted snow), it was discounted pending further verification.

Highest Liquid Precip Total: 5.08" (24.3" snow) at St. Michaels, MD, with 2.16" on Feb 6, and 2.92 on Feb 7. Fredericksburg, VA was runner-up with 4.53" liquid, but only 16.5" snow.

Elsewhere around the region:
27.9" sn/2.79" liq - White Oak, MD
27.3" sn/2.74" liq - Herndon, VA
27.0" sn/3.30" liq - Winchester, VA
27.0" sn/2.47" liq - Gaithersburg, MD
26.0" sn/2.96" liq - Mount Vernon, VA
25.5" sn/2.90" liq - Takoma Park, MD

It's interesting to note that thanks to temp variances and, in some cases, sleet mixing in, the snow amounts and liquid equivalents varied quite a bit.
But still, all things considered, it was an epic sorm!

Posted by: mtpeaks | February 7, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

One other note to add to the storm totals posted above: The snow-depth totals were only from the two-day storm. They did not include snow already on the ground from previous storms.

Posted by: mtpeaks | February 7, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

This was a bad storm, and cleaning it up has been a pain in the arse, but it was nothing compared to a hurricane. I'm from Florida, moved here in 2005 after going through 2 cat 4 hurricanes within weeks of each other. They are scary monsters.

I'm not sure how many inches we got here in Herndon/Chantilly. I know it took me twice as long to shovel this time (compared to Dec 19). For anyone who has been out on the roads around here: I have a little compact car. Any idea if I will be able to drive it to work tomorrow (I have about an 8 mile "commute")?

Posted by: veronica7 | February 7, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Yet one other note: The CoCoRaHS website did not include any weather observations for the last two days from DC proper, suggesting that DC needs volunteer observers to sign-up. More are also needed elsewhere to further populate the data base.
Please consider volunteering at: cocorahs.org

Posted by: mtpeaks | February 7, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

rginsburg:

Your comment at 7:43 AM was superb.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | February 7, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

So much depends on where you are. In Virginia Square, the side streets are plowed, pretty much down to the pavement. The large buildings have shoveled out sidewalks and car ramps. I saw dump trucks last night hauling away snow from the side streets. We're in better shape now than we were last Sunday when the plows didn't touch our side streets until Sunday afternoon.

But it would still be smart to keep the federal government closed tomorrow. Just because I could get to my job (although with a child, there's no school, so it's irrelevant), I'm perfectly aware that it's not one neighborhood that matters, it's the state of the region. And the refreeze tonight will be awful -- no one should try to drive on that in the dark in the morning.

Posted by: lilyg25 | February 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I understand the people who are complaining about the cheer-leading around the storm.

But consider that the CWG cannot influence the weather. If they did everything in their power to not make the happen, it wouldn't change the totals of snow by 1/10".

So while I understand that you don't like the excitement, it has no impact on whether it happens on not. This storm will cause a hardship for at least a week, provided we don't get even more. But at the end of the day, we can't affect the weather, so the best you can do is be prepared and hope you have an accommodating boss this week.

My shoulders are aching from just using a snowblower on my property for 8 hours yesterday, and I'm not done. I'm going to go out in about an hour and start blowing more snow. I need a weekend to recuperate from the weekend.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 7, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

We lost power Friday evening around 7. With two little girls,(2-1/2 and 4 months) staying in the house without heat or electricity was out of the question. Friday morning, while my wife stayed with the girls, I went out to clear the driveway. I estimate there was 15-20" of snow already on the ground(Manassas) and it was snowing hard enough that standing at the end of the driveway(75' long), the house was barely visible. I managed to clear enough snow to get our truck out, then everyone bundled up and we headed to my Mom and Dad's house(Louisa Co), where they had power and a back up generator.
A normally 1-1/2 hour trip took almost 5 hours. The PWC Parkway was passable, to 4wd vehicles, and once on 95 South, it wasn't much better. Some stretches of 95 were down to the bare pavement, but most of it was covered and in poor shape. More than once we saw vehicles spin out. The most startling aspect of our drive was how many trees were bent over from the weight of the snow and how many had fallen across the roads.

Posted by: GordonFreeman | February 7, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Still no plow in sight in my Dunn Loring neighborho0d - 2+ feet of snow in middle of road with higher drifts. Oh well, at least we didn't lose power and will get a day off tomorrow.

Posted by: Axel2 | February 7, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

mtpeaks
Thanks for the snow totals. Those numbers give people an accurate idea of how amazing this storm was. When National airport reports only 17.8 inches, it seems like it's in a different part of the country that wasn't hit directly by this amazing storm.
Thanks again.

Posted by: rginsburg | February 7, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Winter Storm Watch just posted Tues/Weds.

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The side of me that wants to break every record in the book is praying for more snow on Tuesday. The part of me that loves trees is terrified of how much more damage these pine trees can take before they look bad enough to take down. I live in a neighborhood with 50 year old white pines, cedars, and magnolias, so its not looking too good for them.

Posted by: rocotten | February 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

mtpeaks - We can try to mention this in a future post. Send me an email at weathergang@wpni.com with info about how to sign up, where you need volunteers, details about training, etc.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Hi CWG! I need your advice. I am supposed to drive from Arlington to Wheeling, WV tomorrow morning for a conference. Do you think the roads will be okay for me to get out there safely? I don't have a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Thanks so much for your help!!

Posted by: LizA61 | February 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, LizA61, you need to call the MDOT and WVDOT road conditions phone numbers; they are on the web and very easy to find. They might even have posted the road conditions on their web sites.

I'm guessing the major intertates (270, 70, 68, and so on) will be OK (can you get to them?), and if you can call someone at your destination, then you can figure out what it will be like there. For example, in my NW DC neighborhood there are no parking places and the roads are barely passable.

Goodl luck.