The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 02/26/2010

Forecast: Wild winds, scattered snow showers

By Camden Walker

Gusts near & over 50 mph today; weekend just breezy

* Wind Advisory through today (map) | Weather Wall *
* Winter Weather Advisory for northern/eastern suburbs *
* Power outage maps: Dominion | Pepco | BGE | SMECO *
* New: CWG Snowmageddon T-shirts | Your relationship with snow? *
* Bob Ryan's last day at 4 | Share snow damage pics | Local home page *

Today's Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day's weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

1Whipping winds, scattered snowflakes and frigid wind chills. Not much good about the outside today.

Get tomorrow's 'Digit' on Twitter tonight

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: VERY windy. Scattered snow showers. Mid-to-upper 30s. | Tonight: Weakening winds, still gusty. Upper 20s to near 30. | Tomorrow: Intermittent sun. Breezy. Mid-40s. | Sunday: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low-to-mid 40s. | A Look Ahead | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Gusty, dangerous winds continue to blast the area today before waning for the weekend, though it will remain breezy. Batten down the hatches & bundle up. Power outages are possible, unfortunately, as those winds could take down trees and power poles where the ground has been loosened by snow melt. Otherwise, after some snow showers today, we're dry into early next week with below-average temperatures. What's this about another storm threat by midweek?

Today (Friday): It's worth keeping an eye on radar today to track the progress of any snow showers rotating toward the area from the north. Any heavier snow showers, should they occur, have the potential to briefly whiten the ground. Accumulating snow of 1-3" is possible from Anne Arundel County to Baltimore. But severe winds remain the bigger story for most of the metro region, sustained from the west/northwest at 20-35 mph and gusting as high as around 50-60 mph. (Not a good day to drive a high-profile vehicle!) With mostly cloudy skies, wind-chilled highs in the mid-to-upper 30s feel more like the teens & 20s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Winds weaken considerably but still gust to near 30 mph. Lows won't be too too cold, in the upper 20s to near 30. But the same winds that keep temperatures from falling, by keeping the atmosphere well mixed, will make it feel like the teens to near 20. Really bundle up out there. Skies stay mostly cloudy through evening with some clearing possible after midnight. Confidence: Medium-High

Are rumors of another storm true? Keep reading for the not-as-windy forecast into early next week...

Tomorrow (Saturday): Breezes come down to around 10-20 mph from the west/northwest. And intermittent sun should help highs reach the mid-40s. Not perfect, but a much better day than today. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Partly cloudy and still a bit of a breeze. Lows in the upper 20s to low 30s. Confidence: Medium-High

Sunday: Another breezy day with winds around 10-20 mph from the northwest. Skies should range from partly sunny to mostly cloudy as highs remain below average, in the low-to-mid 40s. By the way, are you enjoying the increasingly longer days? Sunday's sun waits until 6 p.m. to set. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

That breeze just won't go away Sunday night. So, once again, temperatures won't drop terribly far -- lows in the upper 20s to mid-30s. Confidence: Medium-High

Look for a fair amount of sun Monday before clouds possibly increase again for Tuesday. There doesn't seem to any major warm-up in store, with highs both days in the 40s. Confidence: Medium

Another week, another storm -- a system out of the Gulf of Mexico may try to come up the coast and affect us during the late Tuesday-Wednesday period or thereabout. We'll keep ya posted.

By Camden Walker  | February 26, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Winds rage tonight and tomorrow
Next: Winds batter region, increasing snows north & east

Comments

Tuesday - Wednesday storm? Woo hoo!
I'll get my snow dancing shoes all shined up.

Posted by: Bainbridge | February 26, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm a snow lover, but this time, I'm crossing my fingers that things stay clear. I've got a flight out of town on Thursday morning.

Posted by: runnergirl03 | February 26, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the storm has weakened a bit and is steady now at 984 http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_pres.html

The dry slot has wrapped all the way around and there is WAA from the north here helping with the snow showers. Meanwhile up in NH they had CAA from the south (from Cape Cod). That doesn't happen very often (see Gray-Portland discussion)

Posted by: eric654 | February 26, 2010 6:05 AM | Report abuse

What are WAA and CAA?

Posted by: AdmiralX | February 26, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

@AdmiralX: Warm Air Aloft and Cold Air Aloft.

Posted by: Murre | February 26, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Still 4-5 days out, but looks like the 12Z GFS takes next week's storm out to sea well south of us. It also brings in warmer temps for the end of the week next week.

Plenty of time for changes obviously.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 26, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

*sigh*
watching the storm dance just to our north - I feel like the neighbors are having a big party, I can hear the music, but I'm not invited

Posted by: Restondad2 | February 26, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Walter, what a delight to see your new work.
I spoke to a friend in the Catskills last night, they had two feet that had fallen by yesterday evening and it was continuing to fall. He has a plow so this is a money maker for him.

Posted by: tbva | February 26, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Are we going to have to wait till May for a day with 100% sunshine and calm winds??

It doesn't even have to be warm, just no more wind!

Posted by: HenryFPotter | February 26, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

HenryFPotter - I hear ya, I know. It is really blowing out there today. Quite a noisy wind gust just happened here in downtown..wow.. we've already had a gust to 44 mph. And the sun isn't up yet!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 26, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

thanks tbva, you see it in person?

here's the link for Snowde Miller:

i'm hoping for clouds and cool temps now....snowde hates sun... and i hear maybe more raw materials next week, huh?! can't get too excited about that yet...but i am thinking about it.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 26, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

ide like to apply to be the capital weather gangs youngest user

im 12

Posted by: snowlover31 | February 26, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Based on my unofficial weather predictor, it may snow. I have scheduled my son's birthday party four times since mid-December and have been snowed out three times. The fourth date is next Saturday (the 6th).

CWG, my favorite weather people, will the snow next week be enough to impact the weekend?

Posted by: readerl | February 26, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

very windy here in Olney, Maryland and little tiny snowflakes at 7:40 (like one-two millimeter in diameter)

Posted by: celestun100 | February 26, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Snowing and blowing hard here in Baltimore.

Posted by: weatherwatcher1 | February 26, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

yeah...the wind is kind of pointless (unless of course accompanied by snow).

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 26, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

@readerl

There is the potential for snow (or snow and rain) mid-week--that's about all we can say. Too soon to say if it would have weekend impacts.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 26, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Just had a 52 mph wind gust here in Fairfax. My glass balcony doors, which face west, are shaking violently this morning.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 26, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

@AdmiralX: Warm Air Aloft and Cold Air Aloft.

Posted by: Murre | February 26, 2010 6:17 AM
Close, but no cigar. It's Warm Air Advection (the transport of warm air into an area by horizontal winds) and Cold Air Advection (the transport of cold air into a region by horizontal winds).

Posted by: NoVaSnow | February 26, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Warm Air Advection is the right term although it can be at the surface, aloft or both. In our case we have some WAA aloft now coming from the Atlantic via New England, NY, and PA (it took the long way around). I guess simultaneously we have some CAA from the west.

Our initial big dump of snow back on Feb 6 was WAA aloft straight from the Gulf. Typically CAA here is dry because our colder air has to cross the mountains. With the WAA from the gulf it is way above the mountains

Posted by: eric654 | February 26, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@rwalker66. I hear you. 55 mph gust recorded at Martinsburg/Shepherdstown and did my windows feel it! It was a bit horrifying, actually. I'm not overjoyed by the switch in wind direction from WNW to straight W, as it's now hitting a more vulnerable side of my house.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | February 26, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

US 15 in Frederick, MD area closed to buses and unloaded trucks. Couple of overturned trucks already.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Very heavy snow squall right now in Columbia. What a great storm...I disagree with those who say this was a bust. Just because one doesn't get a foot snow in the backyard doesn't make it a bust. This storm is every bit as strong as predicted, and not surprisingly, today's weather is much worse than yesterday's. We just had to be patient enough to wait for it.

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Just had a 62 mph wind gust here in Fairfax. It's getting worse! I was just outside and I was getting blown all around like I was in a hurricane. A bad hair day for sure!

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 26, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Funny things to wake up to #37: Fiance yelling as power goes out while she's in the shower.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 26, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the 1 Ranking. I have never enjoyed cold wind very much.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I have a flight out of BWI next wednesday evening. Uh oh.... This snow lover might be hoping it doesn't pan out this time.

Posted by: nolagirl67 | February 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Sunshine alert in Bethesda! What is that bright ball in the sky??

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 26, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope that if March comes in like a lion, but we get the reward of it leaving like a Lamb as I am hoping hook up the trailer and head to Assateague for spring break. I've had enough winter....

Posted by: soyboy99 | February 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I have a new routine (started during Snowmageddon)--checking the weather via the latest CWG post. You guys do a great job, thanks!

Posted by: ebtimmer | February 26, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I'll join forces with those who dislike wind.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 26, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The wind makes for great white noise to fall asleep to! I love wind...Wishing for snow next week!!!

Posted by: sigmagrrl | February 26, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Wind makes great white noise???

Wow, don't agree with that at all. The windows rattling, shingles flapping, etc kept me up all night.

Nothing rhythmic at all about the wind, so I can't see the white noise connection.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 26, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I dislike wind...except when it's snowing...ONLY exception.

Posted by: parksndc | February 26, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with sigmagrrl that it is a nice sound for sleeping. My husband would agree with ThinkSpring though...all the noise freaks him out. I will say that I strongly dislike being outside in it. Regarding next week, hopefully it will either snow, or be warm and sunny....hate cold rain and so does my basement.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 26, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

snowlover31 - Welcome! Glad to have you as a reader. And yes you may win that category!

ThinkSpring & parksndc - yes this wind is getting out of hand & not pleasant ;) We've hit 50mph wind gust downtown!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@ ThinkSpring: I live in a hi-rise, in a corner apartment. When it blows, it sort of sounds like it's blowing into a tunnel...it doesn't rattle my windows.

Posted by: sigmagrrl | February 26, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Wind! Wind! Come on, we can hit 70 mph!

Posted by: mhardy1 | February 26, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

If your house was here when Hurricane Isabel hit, and survived that, this will be nothing.

Posted by: mhardy1 | February 26, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I really don't dig the winds much either but if they can make the power go out at work I can go home.

**does her make-the-power-go-out-at-work-so-I-can-go-home dance**

Cause once we lose power at work our phones go out, no phones, no power = me cozy at home with the gatos!!

Posted by: wadejg | February 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

New GFS looks like a snowstorm next week.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 26, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I didn't sleep a wink last night. The wind kept making these whirring sounds occassionally. Obviously something in the attic.

I can't wait for this wind to go away. I love rain, snow and I can even take a 2 ft of snow as long as it melts. But, wind is one thing I can't take, as long as I live in this home.

Posted by: RoseVA | February 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@RoseVA. The wind kept me up all night too! My house is 40' tall and situated at the top of a 900' ridge in the northern Shenandoah Valley. So you can imagine how anxious I get in wind storms.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | February 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse