The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 02/25/2010

Have you had a (snow) change of heart?

By Ann Posegate

Wx and the City

* Powerful winds, skimpy snow: CWG's Full Forecast *
* High Wind Watch tonight thru Fri. p.m. (map) | NWS snow totals *
* New: CWG Snowmageddon T-shirts | Bob Ryan leaving 4 *

Snow. Some of us love it; some of us hate it; all of us have had to live with a lot of it this winter. Judging from recent Capital Weather Gang comments, many snow lovers have adopted a "say it's ain't snow" attitude, while some have become apathetic ("I snow don't care"). Others' opinions haven't changed much (there's snow budging them), while a few former snow-haters have even converted to an "it's not snow bad after all" type of attitude.

Relationships can be tough, but we're here to help. Feel free to vent or share your status by leaving a comment below. And see previous stories in Ann Posegate's "Wx (Weather) and the City" series.

By Ann Posegate  | February 25, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Posegate, Wx and the City
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High Wind Watch tonight through Friday afternoon
Next: PM Update: Winds rage tonight and tomorrow

Comments

I love weather...be it rain, snow, sleet, hail, burning heat, fridged cold, fog, freezing rain, frightening thunderstorms, or a picture perfect sunny warm day. That is one of the reasons I love living here. We have it all...in moderation. And therein lies the key...in moderation. I loved that we set the record and that I was here for that. But we are, at this point, pushing the moderation part. That said, I would still be elated with another foot snow as I would a 75 degree sunny day.

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 25, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

78 days (when the rentals open in Ocean Pines) to beach season in Ocean City.

78 days and I'm laying on the sand.

Posted by: wiredog | February 25, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I dont mind the snow...it's the people tasked with making decisions because of the snow that are the problem.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 25, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I had several changes of heart this winter. And I never thought I'd say I did.

I loved snow until the Dec 19 Snowpocalypse, then I hated it. Then I came back to Mobile, AL and missed the back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back blizzardpaloozas, which made me long for the snow. Then, it snowed here in Mobile (less than half an inch) a few weeks ago and everything closed for the day. First time it snowed here in Mobile in 14 years, actually. After that, I was good for the winter. I don't hate snow or love it anymore -- I'm content. Even though I missed most of the historic winter in DC, I witnessed history down here on the Gulf Coast (it hadn't snowed here since Dec 18 1996)

Here are some pics from the historic (not so much to you guys, now :P ) snow in Mobile:

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 25, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

re: Bob Ryan leaving 4

I have never been the biggest Bob Ryan fan although I do credit him for bringing respectability to the position here in DC and he certainly brought an analytical approach to it which I appreciated. It was just something about his delivery that has bothered me for years. Fairly or not, it may go back years ago to a virtual guarantee that school would be cancelled due to snow...and wasn't. That said, I wish him well and sincerely hope that he does not replace Doug Hill.

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 25, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ryan is not going to replace Doug Hill. The deal is for Bob Ryan to do the 11pm news and Hill will do the 5 & 6.

Posted by: MKadyman | February 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I am learning to love snow because I will soon move to New Hampshire where I'd better love it. What I would like to see is news and weather people who teach us how to cope. Instead of showing us good looking people standing in various parts of the metro area to say "its snowing here" why not have people from Buffalo or Minnesota or Alaska telling us how to cope with the stuff? For example, folks in Syracuse put flags on their car antennas so they can see each other approaching over the snow mounds. Folks in Michigan throw snow from high mounds onto plowed streets where it melts in minutes rather than in weeks. We need this kind of advice!

Posted by: Beitern | February 25, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

My back and shoulders ache from shoveling. My kids really need to be in school. But I'm still disappointed that this storm is dumping snow to the north of us and we're getting squadoosh.

On the other hand, I'll admit that blue skies and sunshine makes a pretty decent consolation prize.

Posted by: ElJocko | February 25, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@Ann Posegate - "Snow. Some of us love it; some of us hate it; all of us have had to live with a lot of it this winter."

All of us masochistic snow-loving Washingtonians ADORE your use of the present perfect tense - it gives us hope that this winter may not be over yet!

Posted by: kolya02 | February 25, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Never a big fan, and soooo over it. To paraphrase some boxer from years ago: Snow mas! Snow mas!

Posted by: thingsfallapart | February 25, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@Beitern

Wouldn't "throwing snow from high mounds onto plowed streets where it melts in minutes rather than in weeks" just cause more piles on the streets, taking longer to melt? Or am I missiing something here?

I'm visualizing the parting spaces in my parking lot, where snow was piled high after the storms (because no one parked in those spots prior to) where the snow is taking a really long time to melt...

Posted by: MKoehl | February 25, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I love snow - but I only love snow in DC. I used to live in Rochester NY. Now that is too much snow. Here we only have a big storm every couple years and its lots of fun because almost everything closes. In Rochester - NOTHING closes and you have to go out in it.

Posted by: nolagirl67 | February 25, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It seems snow helps with my seasonal affective disorder by making the ground more reflective and everything seem brighter. Of course, I am now working in a basement office with no windows...

Posted by: staticvars | February 25, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

of course i still want fresh snow.

the eskimo word for the snow we already have in piles around here translates roughly as "sticky sugar". at these temperatures it's very cohesive! i'm just sayin'...stay tuned...

...now, IF ONLY we'd get a deep freeze tonight....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

soooo windy already

Posted by: madisondc | February 25, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

@nolagirl, Amen.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 25, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I still embrace the winter and snow because the transition period around here is no picnic. Thoughts of spring in March will often be met with resistance from Mother Nature. I think I feel colder in March on a near 50-degree windy day with mud puddles everywhere than I do in January on a 30 degree snow day.

Posted by: apeirond | February 25, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

My answer:

T-23 days til the vernal equinox. :)

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 25, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I discovered the Captial Weather Gang website earlier this year. I have enjoyed reading the posts, especially as the big snow storms approached. Being from Southern California, I really love the novelty of the snow. However, that novelty faded about 20 inches of snow ago, and my love of snow along with it. Truth be told Mr. Snow, right now, I'm just not that into you.

Posted by: fmrsocal | February 25, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The only bad snow is slush and sleet.

It's like saying you hate ice cream. The only difference this year is that we've had a lot of ice cream. But I could still go for another scoop.

Posted by: ah___ | February 25, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Eh, give me an 85-degree day any time over another 24" winter storm snowfall. I can run in warm and even hot weather. Pretty difficult to run much with 1 and 2 feet of snow on all the trails and bridges. And impossible to bike in this stuff.

Posted by: 123home123 | February 25, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Great poll and just to get a perspective, the NWS has lowered Philly's snow estimates and some of the natives are going nuts:

(Of course, they've been known to boo Santa Claus in Philly)

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 25, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

kolya02 - No need to call it 'til it's over.

ah__ - I agree. As much as I can say I've had enough ice cream this winter, one more small scoop wouldn't be so bad, just to top it off.

123home123 - I was just thinking about the biking issue this morning. Much more difficult (and dangerous) with huge snow piles and icy streets.

nolagirl67 and Brian - I actually like snow better in places that know how to deal with it, since there are usually more opportunities for snow sports/activities without having to drive a long distance. This winter reminded me that I have to buy a pair of snowshoes and a real sled (a cardboard box is just not the same) so I can enjoy D.C. snowfall more ... I haven't needed them the past few years!

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 25, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

This winter in DC has been the best winter of my life. I love it and am still waiting for storm #4. We still have a chance with this crazy winter!

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 25, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I do love the snow. However, as the parent of a high school freshman, I want my child to get an education this year. Even my daughter doesn't want any more school snow days!

Posted by: jennygenser1 | February 25, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Few stray flurries here in Columbia, wind is howling. We were...this...close...to another blizzard. Would've only taken about two inches of snow for a whiteout to be occuring right now. Terrific forecast CWG. Even though it's not our turn for the bull's eye, this is still a very impressive storm to follow.

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 25, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. The way I like to deal with snow is viewing the snow on the summit of Mauna Kea from the harbor in Hilo.

After 4 years in Michigan (college) and 24 years in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York (work), I learned to deal with snow. Never learned to like it.

After a stroke two years ago that partially paralyzed my right arm and made walking tricky, I really don't like snow. I have to depend on my neighbors to shovel any significant accumulation. I've taken a couple of falls this winter from slippery spots on my wheelchair ramp.

Posted by: rlguenther | February 25, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Looked out the back window this morning and saw a hill full of beautiful yellow blooming acconites, a witch hazel tree in full bloom, daffodil stems out of the ground about 6", and about five plump robins hopping around.

Posted by: steske | February 25, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in central Florida, but got to spend one childhood winter in Massachusetts, with blizzards, minus 20 F temps, etc. After I went back to Florida, I vowed to go north as soon as I could. My first full winter in D.C. was great, lots of snow, but this winter has been truly fantastic!

Despite the slipping and sliding and other irksome moments, this has been the best few months, weather-wise, since that long-ago winter in Ayer (near Lowell).

For a nearly once-in-a-lifetime experience, this winter has been fantastic and CWG and many posters here have enhanced the experience. So I'm definitely not filing for a snow divorce.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 25, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I love snow - I know there science behind it but seeing the city transform when its covered in snow lends a sense of magic to the whole thing.
Growing up in Seattle we never got much snow during the winter and (like here) its rare occurence caused all to freak out and most to enjoy it.
Living in Eastern Europe gave me a few real winters - and didn't tarnish my love of winter weather one bit.
Like amaranthpa I love all weather - with the exception of humidity. I just can't get exited about sweat.
So if Phil was right, I'm looking forward to these last few weeks of winter. After that I'll be ready to sit in the sun and work on my tan.

Posted by: Bainbridge | February 25, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

This winter has been awesome. I still love snow. It's magically beautiful and blaketing and provides a rare interlude from the dark, gardenless winter. Cold rain, windy hail storms, and the sullen, murky, volatile, humid heat of summer I could stand a separation from.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 25, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

My new friends here will either be surprised or not believe me, but I voted for 'married to it.'

Always loved it, always will. But like the spouse who gains 60 pounds after the wedding, I just like a bit less of it than we've had this winter.

Posted by: mhardy1 | February 25, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I answered "it's complicated." Snow can definitely be a pain in the butt, but at the same time a big part of me just can't stop rooting for it.

One thing for sure is that this winter enhanced my interest in the weather. I know I'm not alone; I've run into random people recently talking about CWG and Foot's Forecast.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 25, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

@ann-CWG
Cyclists had to wait even longer than car drivers since very few of the area's bike/run trails were plowed this month. They only just became usable this week with the warmer rainfall and temps in the 40s. It's difficult to bike on the road with all of the sand, salt and slush on them. But after tomorrow, it sounds like we should have more spring-like weather for at least the next week. At long last.

Posted by: 123home123 | February 25, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I love snow, but I love seasonal change as well. When I lived in New England I would usually start longing for spring by mid February. Here it's been different since we never get much snow, but this winter I have found myself falling back into the old pattern. Once the dual blizzards were over I was ready for greenery and warmth. I would not turn down another big snowstorm or two if it came our way though.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 25, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

mhardy1,
indeed...a totally surprising answer from you.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 25, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

i have made a new sculpture. need to "trim" bits of it off and take pics. i'll post them here later this evening.

before/while viewing it, hum the olympic theme...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 25, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Not only am I still happily married to SNOW, but I am also currently celebrating my 25th Anniversary with it this Winter season!

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 25, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, I love snow/cold so much that I'm actually planning on finishing up my College courses in Alaska (Most likely Fairbanks, AK). However, I also agree with you 100% about the seasons, and it's one of the main reasons why I hope to garner enough money in the future so that I can have a place to live both in AK, and still here.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 25, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

rlguenther, Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the snow. The way the city dealt with it (or didn't) probably wasn't helpful to those with limited mobility or health concerns.

Walter, I'm curious about the slushy/icy consistency of the snow over the past few days ... is snow easier to work with after it starts to melt, or when it is fresh?

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 25, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

well, ann, since you asked....todays snow which was "old" (melted and refrozen many times). it was like giant giant granules of sugar, and wet and sticky.

since it was so wet it will really freeze up well tonight. it will probably keep it's shape pretty wll as it melts because of it's high moisture content....(and hopefully, the cloudy weather).

on the other hand, the giant giant granules are like working with "big pixels" or low resolution or something - can't do really fine detail because the "grain" is so big...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 25, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

ann,
the main factors in whether it's "packing snow" are temperature, temperature and temperature.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 25, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I have whined about this here before, but: I have almost always been able to sail a bit on the Potomac in winters past. New Year's, MLK, Prez Day - at least one was sunny with a gentle breeze, but not so much this year. I love the snow but have hated the cold temps and high winds that have come with it, and kept me off the water. And shoveling off my boat was the worst. So I guess for me, it's complicated.

Posted by: --sg | February 25, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@rlguenther: There is nothing worse than the stark awareness of the loss of one's independence, and the vulnerability, that comes from being so much at the mercy of the weather. I wish you were my neighbor; I'd make sure that you got plenty of smiles as well as a well-shoveled driveway and ramp.

Posted by: --sg | February 25, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@Walter, you sound like a true-to-life Snowologist!

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 25, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

10 Thumbs Up for comment by Beitern, above, on February 25, 2010 1:18 PM, about media helping us learn how to cope with snow, vs. be terrorized by it.

Posted by: prq98 | February 26, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

My friends think I should move to Maine and stay there forever-- I got excited about the TINY snowflakes today and they thought I was nuts. They were so snOVER it-- but not me.
Of course, my friends will attest that the only reason I still love the snow because I missed all major snowstorms/pocalypse/mageddon-- I was either stuck at the airport thousand miles away or on the other side of USA.
I think I only witnessed the Feb. 2-3 blizzard aka snowver/snowverkill(?)...
But dude, you have to admit it was an amazing winter ever!!! I love it, and I hope next winter can step it up!!!

Posted by: SanDieganLostinDC | February 26, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse