The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 PM ET, 02/ 5/2010

Heavy snow and wind plastering metro region

By Jason Samenow

Power outages increasing

* Blizzard Warning for D.C. and eastern suburbs (see map) *
* Winter Storm Warning through late Saturday evening (elsewhere) *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Dangerous conditions, 12"+ expected overnight | Accumulations so far *
* Can you out-forecast us? Take the "Top the Pros" guessing poll *
* NOAA urges safety | Biggest ever? | Today's Q&A | Driving tips *
* What to eat during the storm? | CWG on Facebook & Twitter *
* Follow storm on twitter: #Snowpocalypse | E-mail update to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

sat-snowmageddon.jpg
Snow falls over Rock Creek Park in the District earlier today. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

(Next update to be between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. Saturday)

High intensity snowfall has been pasting the metro area for hours now and will continue into tomorrow morning. The combination of the heavy, wet snow and wind is causing scattered power outages throughout the metro region. This storm is just over 1/3 of the way through and conditions will continue to deteriorate overnight. Snow will fall at a rate of 1-2" per hour for at least the next 6-8 hours, probably longer. Winds are likely to increase to around 20 mph, with gusts of 30-40 mph. Fortunately, as temperature continue falling, the consistency of the snow will become a little more powdery, so it will not adhere as well to trees and power lines later at night.

Throughout the region, snowfall totals so far are in the 6-12" range. Sleet has been reported primarily in Fredericksburg and points to the south. In the metro region, thunder has accompanied the snow in some cases and some additional thundersnow is possible in the next few hours.

By Jason Samenow  | February 5, 2010; 10:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Snowmageddon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snowstorm blossoming, some sleet south
Next: Buried & more coming: another 5-8 inches today

Comments

Waiting for the wind and blizzards conditions in Adams Morgan....

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I simply cannot believe the rates at which the snow is coming down in baltimore right now. it has got to be more than an inch and hour!

east baltimore snow photos:

Posted by: bachaney | February 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Power is starting to flicker here in Alexandria by Foxchase. The trees outside have all their branches bent down to the ground. Getting ready fro the power to go out at some point tonight.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Easily 9" here of new snow in Thomas Circle - falling so hard I can't see but more than a block in any direction!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOM WOOOOOOOOOOOOM WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Posted by: shamuballeno | February 5, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

We did not see 36" of accumulation in the first 20 minutes and Baltimore did not sink into the Harbor. Obviously this storm is a bust. /snark

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

So with my Chili, which is just about ready, should I have another beer or open a bottle of red?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude, the wind just REALLY picked up...epic! Hard liquor is your buddy tonight.

Posted by: keithrjackson | February 5, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

About 9-10" in Cleveland Park. The trees are heavy with snow. Hoping the power stays on!

Posted by: dcmom | February 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

About 10" in Central Arlington, moderate to heavy snow

Posted by: tleckey15 | February 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Good call Keith - I guess I'll say hello to my good friend Jack. Daniels. Hello Mr. Daniels - have you been outside lately?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for reporting your local conditions everyone! Hang in there. Be safe.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

@FusilliJerry1 That's fairly close to me. Guess I should start getting ready for power outages, too.

Trees are completely white here and bent all the way to the ground.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 5, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

CWG: not that it really matters at this point because we're all getting plastered.... But curious why only DC and eastern burbs getting blizzard warnings when there is heavy snow-strong wind all around?

Posted by: teezee210 | February 5, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Low's on top of me in Wilmington, NC. Temp has risen to 63, and under tornado watch. Daughter in DC under Blizzard warning. All from same system... Crazy weather!

Posted by: nccoast | February 5, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Have done the driveway twice now in Bethesda - based on measurements, snow has been arriving at 2" per hour for at least past 2 hours. Total of 8-9" so far.

Posted by: sparman | February 5, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Within the past 20 minutes the visibility has dropped considerably here in North Bethesda.... I was able to see about 2000 feet from my high rise to the shopping center down the street, and now it's all a blur... and it's not alcohol related!

Posted by: salf | February 5, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Sleet, rain & snow in NW Spotsy. No way I'll c 20", & I'm guessing alot of the area won't c that much. Looks like warm air has moved aloft 4 the time being, which is typical of coastal storms when the temps r border line.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 5, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Just measured 12" in Annandale/Merrifield! And coming down REAL hard.

$40 to have the neighbor kid snoblow the driveway and walks for the weekend? Best. Investment. EVER!

Posted by: TheBorg | February 5, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I typically lose power in the summer during a tropical storm or worse, so this shouldn't be any different.

Looks like the wind is kicking the tops of trees around in the courtyard. Some of the branches have snapped. Good thing I am not parked under any trees for the storm.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Brew with the chili. Just had the first all-hands on deck shoveling exercise with the kids. Closing in on 10-12" here in Leesnurg. And the wind is picking up still.

Posted by: csh1 | February 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

9in exact in Potomac

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 5, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

@ VaTechBob - It wouldn't take much longer for NOVA to reach 20"...you mean mainly the Spots area?

Posted by: parksndc | February 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Snow sticking on trees and power lines. Be careful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vxsarin/4333260149/

Posted by: PaulFrederiksen | February 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Out in New Carrollton. It's snowing in sheets out here -- precipitation I haven't seen the likes of since I was in the eye of Hurricane Fran as it passed over Raleigh in 1996, I think it was. It's literally snowing so hard it looks like torrential rain. Have not gone out and measured, but looks like it's at least nine inches, possibly as much as a foot. Snow's sticking to everything -- evergreens are really catching it, I've seen branches on the ground. Live on a snow emergency route, but the snow it so deep on the road, looks like they're not even plowing yet. Wind's starting to pick up too. No flickering of power, fingers crossed. Where was the thundersnow reported? I'd like to see some of that.

Posted by: AdmiralX | February 5, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, we've got reports of 12" I see... anyone over 15" yet?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

11inches on my Cityline deck in Tenleytown.

Posted by: heltzooor | February 5, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

At this rate I think we'll easily see 20" in Arlington. All snow here

Posted by: mrevell83 | February 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Just took the dogs out for a trot. Very, very windy to the point where the snow-loving pups were frightened and wanted to come right back inside. Snow was coming down in torrents and sideways. Lamp post in the street was also vibrating something fierce. Also noticed icicles forming from its lantern. This was 10-15 minutes ago in the Bel Pre/Layhill area of northern Silver Spring.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

@teezee210

For it to be a blizzard, you need sustained winds of 35 mph. NWS is not calling for winds that strong west of DC, but it's close.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Just a novice here but....(on the radar)it sure looks like that rain is creeping up on the immediate DC area.
Any chance it rains for a short spell?

Posted by: bodyiq | February 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Sheets of snow coming down. Never seen anything quite like it. Visibility is deteriorating quickly in South Arlington. Can no longer see the huge hill (with large condo and apartment complexes) that is just 100 feet away...

Posted by: Beobachter | February 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Also forgot to mention that we have 10-11 inches easily in the Bel Pre/Layhill area.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Town of Herndon -- Taken shovel in hand @ 4:30, 8 & 10 pm (to clear driveway skirt and adjacent drain). * A plow made two passes around 9pm for a wide path in the middle of the road, leaving a thick white coating.

We shook the low branches on the magnolia and spruce tree twice. Hoping that the power line hangs in there!

Posted by: sullivanva1 | February 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Had 8 1/2 inches in Winchester when I measured an hour ago. Wind has shifted, getting some gusts from the east and snow is falling pretty good, if I had to guess probably closer to 10 inches now but I ain't going out to see. Just glad to be home and knocking stuff off the DVR tomorrow...

Posted by: ValleyCaps | February 5, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Here in Fairlington in Arlington, the power went off and on a few times, currently its on, which I am happy about and a little surprised. The snow is pouring down, the real deal, last time I've seen conditions like this was at 8,500 feet on a ski slope - stings the face when gravity is pulling you down the moutain.

Posted by: Surgadibumi | February 5, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

CWG: Does that tornado warning in North Carolina augur well or ill for us folks in the DC Metro Area?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 5, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

A good 8" or so on the ground now in Capitol Hill. This was an hour ago: http://twitpic.com/11ltj4

Most of those tracks on the sidewalk have been covered up by now - luckily I think people have finally figured out that it's time to go indoors and stay there. The snow is getting grainier and it's getting MUCH windier - it's similar to walking around in a sandstorm. Not pleasant. But really pretty from inside!

Posted by: k1avg | February 5, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: Coming down vigorously, looks like at least six inches on our porch roof.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 5, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

AdmiralX,
Wow! I went through Hurricane Fran while at Ft. Bragg, NC. I've been thinking all night how much this experience reminds me of Hurricane Fran! I'm right there with you.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

CWG Team - Now that the Coastal Low is starting to bomb out in NC. How will this affect the precip shield? Will it backfill towards Roanoke, or just sit and spin over DC. Would love to get your thoughts?

Posted by: CMan62 | February 5, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

On their local predictions, NWS now has 15-21" overnight and 6-10" more tomorrow.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 5, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Just checked outside again here in Westover and I'm guessing 2-3 inches since I shoveled an hour ago. Total around 8 or 9 inches.

Posted by: 27champs | February 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

11" on south side of Rockville at 11pm. Blowing snow, visibility ,100yds at times. Saw blue lightning flash a little before 11:00. I think it's going to be hard to get accurate measurements if the wind keeps up!

Posted by: DOG3521 | February 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

lexington steele, mandingo and wesley pipes have all appeared in SOMD tonight. lots of dogfart action

Posted by: shamuballeno | February 5, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

OK...a little humor in the snow...apparently former Sen. Daschle did not heed the warnings to stay indoors tonight, and had to be resuced by a Fox5 crew: http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/senator-tom-daschle-stuck-in-snow-020510

Only in DC.....

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or if its just surrounding lighting but the sky seems to be glowing blue.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 5, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Teezee, to follow up what Jason said, the blizzard warnings are up along the coastal areas, winds will likely be highest there and more likely to reach blizzard conditions due to the lack of friction over the water allowing for the higher speeds

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

We shoveled 10" off the driveway in Bethesda at 1:00PM. Bushes are all plastered to the ground. A little wind but not bad. However the electricity is flickering a bit. Haul out the down sleeping bags!

Posted by: Middle-agedF | February 5, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

2 inches in Bloomington, Indiana. Wish I was there!! Have fun in the snowpocalypse!

Dave aka SnowMonsterDC!

Posted by: dcwarren | February 5, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I think we're getting ripped off here in Old Town ALX. We've got 5" - 6" tops. Of course, the wind is blowing hard off the river, and there may be more accumulation up the hill. The snow has been steady, but I really have not seen any heavy snow at all this evening.

Posted by: carver9 | February 5, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

11 so far s of leesburg

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Good lord. Ryan now has Loudoun County west in a 30-40" range.

18-30 immediate DC area.

That's not possible, is it?

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 5, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Dave in Bloomington, wish you were here, too! When I was at school at IU, summers brought predictable afternoon squalls and winters biting cold. I hope that you get a good snowstorm sometime soon!

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else just see Bob Ryans forecast? He moved the high line further south (into PWilly) and raised the number to 30"-40"!

I am tired just thinking about digging out from under that much!!!

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I am amazed by how spotty conditions are. Old Town only has 5 or 6? Right across the bridge in lower Huntington we have approaching a foot and it's coming down hard. Shoveled the walk about an hour ago and we easily have 1.5 inches at least of new snow.

Also my friend in Del Ray just lost power.

Posted by: kallieh | February 5, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Winds are howling and it is pouring snow here in downtown Silver Spring. Amazing storm!!!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | February 5, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Beddie-bye time for me in Fort Myer Heights (8-9 inches so far, with power lines reeeeally bending now). Should be interesting tomorrow morning. Stay safe, all! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 5, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

10 or more inches up here in Upper NW DC near Chevy Chase.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 5, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Here in Bailey's Crossroads, seeing same thing as AdmiralX and Beobachter. Huge sheets of snow blowing through; never seen anything quite like it.

Posted by: lydgate | February 5, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

@ThinkSpring

NWS has Loudon getting 14 to 20 more overnight and 4 to 8 during the day Saturday. If there really are 10 inches on the ground out there now, then 30" to 40" is aligned with the forecast.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

10" now in Berwyn Heights, MD. Visibility is horrible right now.

Posted by: BH99 | February 5, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

re: Bob Ryan

Don't know about 40" in Loudoun, but 30" seems possible there.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Very windy almost blizzardy conditions here in Fairfax. Amazing storm. One for the ages. About 13 inches on the ground.

Posted by: LPitch5 | February 5, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Lowest pressure I could find was 992 at Morehead City NC right on the souther outerbanks. I believe that is were the center of storm is located. This is an absoulutely an incredible storm.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 5, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

11 pm report: 10 inches of fresh snow on my back porch. I finally ventured out there.

Out the front door just now it's kind of scary, lots of small snowflakes coming down thick. A light wind, guestimate of ~10 mph. Visibility is pretty low, guestimate of 1/4 mile tops looking through the tall trees across the house.

Posted by: Murre | February 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Comments on the dry slotting going on south of Front Royal region?? Interested to learn more about what to look for to know the low is reforming off the coast?

Posted by: dotyt | February 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

12" on the Snow Collection Platform of Science in Dunn Loring (22027). Just shy of 2" an hour now, very impressive!

Posted by: kedzie | February 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Rockville @ 11:30 PM, I measured 7" on a protected patio and 10" on a grassy area. Snow is coming down in buckets.

Posted by: btamil | February 5, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

In the battle of man vs snow... snow has won. I've just finished shoveling my driveway for the 3rd time today. I don't think there will be a 4th before I go to bed, and by the time I get up, I'm going to need to ask my neighbor if I can borrow his snow blower. It sounded like it was sleeting out here in Hamilton, but I'm not sure if that was just the sound of the wind blown snow hitting the hood of my jacket.

Posted by: mcupperman1 | February 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: letitsnow | February 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

@kim,

Did Bob provide a time line with the new numbers? It seems that we are in a middle of a slow down with the snow here in the City of Manassas.

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Wind and snowfall amounts mounting here in Adams Morgan. I had to get up from blogging as I heard a car screeching by, ever slowly, up the slight incline of the road I live on. I thought it was like to smashing into other cars. Tough to go to sleep with all this action going on!

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

10" in Cabin John,MD. The lightning has stopped. My wife is in Europe for business and was scheduked to arrive home today. United doesn't know when she will get home.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | February 5, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Power just cut out for about 30 seconds here in Sterling but is back on now. Let's hope it doesn't cut out for good!

Posted by: kridgely | February 5, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Radar has rain/mix creeping into the District.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 5, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey all, just got back from driving around Vienna/Tysons Corner area in my FJ40...roads are pretty bad, Route 7 and 123 included (haven't got many reports about them here). Mostly just plows out and few other SUV's. Visibility is about 30 yards out here I'd say. Side roads are really building up as the plows just can't keep up. Drove past one abandoned plow in a ditch also.

Posted by: voltron88x | February 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I know it's still early, but I just have to say, I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the CWG (and NWS) forecast to this point. Especially with the forecast of the mixing/all snow line, which has been pretty much exactly where they said it would be, so far. They stood firm in their forecast, even when Pat Michaels challenged them. Good (early) job guys!

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Doug Hill describes the current state (1135p ET) as the top of the fourth inning of this storm. He's holding to 20-30".

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I can't get over this wind. It's whistling between buildings! I would guess-timate we have 7-8 inches near Eisenhower Ave from looking out my window. Looking forward to my morning walk down into Old Town Alex.

However, starting to worry a little that I should have picked up more food at the grocery store... I feel like we might be "stranded" for longer than I originally thought. And, even though I can walk to a grocery store I'm curious as to how their shipments will get in.

Regardless, this is BEAUTIFUL to watch. Everyone stay safe!

Posted by: AlexandriaAnna | February 5, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Went for a walk around Annandale with family. Utterly fabulous! We had 9 inches at about 11:00. But about that time the wind really picked up as did the snow. I estimate it is coming down at about 2 inches an hour currently. Was shoveling driveway and had to come in. Temp is 30. Still a very wet snow.

Posted by: amaranthpa | February 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Power flickering here in Forest Glen.

Posted by: OMGPonies | February 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

here in Beautiful Downtown Petworth, I just measured 10 inches and blowing a gale. Power is fine so far...usually is. Hope it stays that way.
Now on Rye and Seltzer number, oh, three, I think, and enjoying the snow.

Posted by: toes1 | February 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey 300 sq ft--I made my chili on Monday. It tends to propitiate the snow gods.

I agree with you that visibility is darned low, about 1/10 now from my 12th floor window on 11th street.

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I second GD1975's last comments. Great work, CWG!

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

about 11" in Central Arlington, traffic on US Route 50 down to a trickle

Posted by: tleckey15 | February 5, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christ

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@CMan62

I don't think there will be a lot of backfilling towards Roanoke, but more of the precip shield sitting and spinning over DC as the coastal takes over.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

fleeciewool...not necessary

Posted by: voltron88x | February 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

New solution to make sure the snow doesn't build up on the power lines -- throw snowballs at them from afar!

This is unreal. 4-5 shovel attempts this evening -- can't imagine what we'll see early AM. Figure I have to stay up a while for this -- when all is said and done, this will surpass 83 and 96 Blizzards on Long Island as my most memorable snowstorms.

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | February 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

real quick light flicker in McLean

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | February 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Just got a text msg from Fairfax County saying that 1-66 is closed due to snow.

Posted by: SarahinHerndon | February 5, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

ABC 7 just reported that I-66 is closed.

Posted by: barbnc | February 5, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

out near leesburg snowflakes coming fast and furious but fairly small, not the heavy wet stuff

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh....BIG flash of lightning! Not cool!

Posted by: keithrjackson | February 5, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

a couple of light flickers here in SW DC, miserable visibility (I live 5 blocks from the nationals stadium and can't see it at all), and one flash of lightning and thunderboom. The sky is pink (though we have a lot of light pollution here so it's not that rare). I'm stocked up on food, have plenty of blankets and candles, and have no place to be, so am actually kind of looking forward to whatever happens this weekend. I just hope people stay safe.

Posted by: slb2 | February 5, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

power out in portions of the mclean garders area of nw washington that have above ground lines.

Posted by: danog224 | February 5, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I think I just saw a transformer blow, or whatever it's called ... the fireball with the big noise ... my power's still on, though. I guess there's some redundancy built in, but we're a step closer to black-out (Riverdale MD).

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 5, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@krosseel have you looked or been outside in the last 5 hours? I'm in Adams Morgan too and it's quite insane. I'd say we've got close to 6" or more of snow-the sidewalks are blending in with the street. Snow is blowing hard and sideways.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | February 5, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Went out about 90 minutes ago to try and get ahead of things by digging out my car a bit. The wind is not messing around. Easily 8 inches out there then, more by now. Mad props to the buildings and grounds crew at my apt complex, they've been out with the snowblower all evening.

Added some more photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vcheeseman/sets/72157623361199912/

Posted by: ana_b | February 5, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@ Hanz1 Don't read the radar...I already made that mistake...it's relative...so far CWG has been spot on, I'd suggest going with their map for now unless they change it...they tend to be very honest with their forecasts. Btw, Bob Ryan sticking to 20"-30"...I mean, that's quite a safe forecast...I still don't get the doubters...if this L really develops off the Outer Banks there's no doubt we'll continue to get slammed!

Posted by: parksndc | February 5, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Arlington County EMS reports I-66 closed. Traffic cameras show snow covered roadways.

Posted by: djm-01 | February 5, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Sleeting moderately in Charlottesville with a few flakes mixed in. 6-7 inches of stuff on the ground, 1-2 of which is sleet.

I am just beginning to realize that, by being in C-ville, I have missed possibly the greatest snowstorm this area has had in nearly 250 years. And as a college-transplanted Fairfax native and a meteorology enthusiast, man, it hurts.

Posted by: cleombrota | February 5, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Carver9-
I must be up the hill...we've got snow! Can not even tell we cleared our sidewalks at 9p. Tried to measure but it's a tad chilly in jammies...dog even said "row-ray!" and stayed at the door. Don't want you to be left out...swing by in the am with your shovel!

Posted by: motherrunner | February 5, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

12 inches at Broadlands in Ashburn. Falling about 2.5 - 3 inches per hour. Snow falling heavily for past hour and a half.

Posted by: julilili | February 5, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

About 11 inches has fallen in Camp Springs, and presently there appears to be more of a fine mist than anything frozen. It's like the Twilight Zone, in a way. The winds have really picked up from the NE. Visibility varies.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 5, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

@parksndc - Ok!

Didn't think I'd ever see it but it's lightning here right this very second in the Bel Pre/Layhill area.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 5, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

@BruinGirl2001, thanks for the note. I have been outside regularly and there has been a lot of variability in the wind and the precip. We are at about 9" where I am on Ontario Rd, and there is a real buildup of snow on the streets and sidewalk. Agree that this is a real mess. Beautiful, too!

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Lights flickering out by the Silver Spring metro.

Posted by: keithrjackson | February 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

in western rockville we have ~12 right now

Posted by: mocoresider09 | February 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Coming down in blankets in Derwood. The snow is drifting quite a bit, so take these measurements as you will, but I did about a dozen checks with the yard stick around the front of my house and surrounding areas and had no less than 14", with drifts around 17-20. And for fun I checked right up against the light post outside and it was 25". By the time it took me to come in and take off my snowy clothes and type this message, it's probably 26.

Posted by: mo26 | February 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

This storm in incredible! At least 10 inches on the ground now here in Eldersburg. Coming down at a 2" per hour clip now! Wind has really picked up..close to blizzard conditions.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 5, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

@JamieYPotomac, thanks for the snowball on the power lines idea. I've been watching my power line dip over the hours with serious concern. Let me give this a try.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 5, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

And we all thought the Dec. 19th would be the snow of the year, if not the decade. Little did we know...

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

My friends called to check in after walking their dogs around their neighborhood in McLean, VA. Reports seeing a car with a young couple and baby driving around looking for something to eat "because we have a craving for some junk food." Fools. My friends wanted to slap the both of them across their thick heads.

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | February 5, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's going to stay up watching this. Storms like this only come along a few times in a lifetime.

Posted by: ana_b | February 5, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Tonight @11 Sue Palka estimated to 18-24 for the metro area. I believe this is her storm total.

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 5, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

32 degrees still here in northern Prince Georges County (Berwyn Heights)...are temps still expected to drop? They've been steady since about 6pm.

Posted by: BH99 | February 5, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

@irish

Nope, no timeline...just the overall total. Sorry.

and 66 in Arlington totally closed. Amazing.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

but some cars still moving on I-66 both directions...

Posted by: djm-01 | February 5, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

6.5 inches in Columbia, but fairly heavy drifting. Lost the dog for a sec in 12" drift. Old guy a little upset, but recovering well on the couch.

Posted by: bitner | February 5, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

im out of alcohol. i think my best bet is to lie in my front yard and wait for a saint bernard to bring me some rum.

Posted by: dummypants | February 5, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Glad I measured when I did. 10 inches on the ground, but when I went out to measure, the snow had mixed with rain. Flakes are ultra tiny and very dry. Hope the rain part doesn't last too long.

Posted by: AdmiralX | February 5, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

@AlexBike -- just be careful to throw it from a distance -- don't want the power line collapsing near you.

Gonna have some munchies -- I'm thinking I should load up for one more shovel :)

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | February 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

11.5" in Chantilly / South Riding. I think I finished shoveling just in time as there really wasn't much wind while I was outside but now I can hear it from inside the house. 25-30" seems possible given the expected rates overnight.

Posted by: 07mg09 | February 6, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

@kim,

Thanks. weather.com is showing we are only supposed to get two to three more inches by 5AM here in Manassas. Since NBC owns the WC now, they share a lot of weather tools. So, I was surprised Bob's forecast.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

@dummypants....
your name says it all
What were you thinking?????
Although some rum sounds peachy

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 6, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

irish031, I think weather.com has a glitch. Much more expected for Manassas.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Olney, Md. 12 inches at 12 midnight

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm seeing a bit of a lull in Reston. Snowing only very lightly at the moment. We shoveled two hours ago and have only seen about an inch more accumulation.

Posted by: trinks | February 6, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

@300_sq_ft...glad to be of service. Drinking Bourbon myself. Made the shoveling sting just a little less.

Crazy snow!

Posted by: keithrjackson | February 6, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

13" out here by Fair Lakes/Fairfax County Government. Not looking forward to shoveling round 2 in the morning. Maybe start on the meds now?

Posted by: Ginnie_Cricket | February 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Just back from a mile and a half walk through the Military Road/Donaldson Run/Taylor Woods area of North Arlington, both on the neighborhood road, on Military Road and about a half mile through the woods. About 10-14 inches on the ground, depending on where you are. What's falling are tiny little flakes, almost sleet-like, that melt as soon as they hit you, but appear to be adding to the amount on the ground. No way this hits 24", even 20" will be a stretch unless it cools off quickly. Not much below 32F here, if at all.

Posted by: OutsideTheLaw | February 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Reston-7 pm=4", 8:45=6", 9:45=8", 11:45=12.5". Much more fun than the 12/19 storm when wife was 9 mos. pregnant. Now if only a 5 week old could shovel the driveway!

Posted by: Rileymrtn | February 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

At least 12" in Vienna...and the areas that had snow before are exceptionally deep.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Quick walk out to survey the scene in South Arlington. Two downed trees with many more heavily weighted down, one idiot driver, snow instantly reclaims sidewalk after snowblower, and probably around a foot of snow. This is already shaping up to be one epic snowstorm!

Posted by: Beobachter | February 6, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

@irish031

The reliance on weather.com automation at the NBC4 website came up as one reason why Bob Ryan might jump over to ABC7, combine his powers with Doug Hill's and become Captain Planet.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 6, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Wesley Heights: 12" at 11p. 10" at 10p. Still coming down. Or sideways, with the winds really whipping (actually moving some off the roof, which is nice).

A band of merrymakers from I assume AU moved through the neighborhood 30 minutes ago. Hope they don't clog my snowblower tomorrow.

Posted by: ah___ | February 6, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

We are approaching a foot here in upper NW DC near Chevy Chase. Hopefully another 12 inches before the storm ends. There is some extremely heavy snow coming up from the south of DC again in the next hour.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

The snow is really blowing in fairfax city! the townhouses in front of my apartment disappeared for a few seconds in a cloud of white!

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

We've lost power twice now for several minutes in Vienna. About 50 feet of my neighbor's cable TV wire came down in the street so I used a stick (just to be safe) to coil it up under the pole where the plows won't get hold of it. I'm on a snow emergency route, and the town has made at least 4 or 5 passes up and down the street with a pair of plows. Not that I intend to do any driving anytime soon. Snowing like crazy.

Posted by: xathros | February 6, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

dominion says 31,500 people without power

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Thundersnow in Charlottesville on last hourly. Good 2 C! Ship it North!!

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 6, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

@GD1975 and krosseel

Thanks for the nice words. I briefly lost internet for 20 minutes, but fortunately got it back.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Just saw lightning in Falls Church/7-Corners area. I swear I just heard thunder too. It's really coming down with lots of strong gusts.

Posted by: ragnas | February 6, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

CWG~ It appears the end of precipitation shield is near southern VA. Will that eventually start to slow down over DC and start to pivot as the storm bombs out and slows down like we saw in the December storm. I guess we do still have all of the snow that goes out to St. Louis to come East. I'm sure we still have 6 hours of very heavy snow left and another 6-12 hours of the moderate snows.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

why do my snow totals seem so much lower than everyone else's? I'm near the King Street metro- 6 inches on my balcony- now I suppose it could be lesser amounts if snow was blown off although it appears to be in a sheltered location...I haven't gone out and measured on the grass...

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Take a look at Pepco's situation map: http://www.pepco.com/home/emergency/maps/stormcenter/

Already, there are many smaller, localized outages in MoCo that are not scheduled to be repaired until TUESDAY MORNING!

If your power goes out and the incident didn't knock out 100 other customers at the same time, you are screwed...

Posted by: stuckman | February 6, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Just got back in from making the first pass with the blower and helping some neighbors clear where the plows piled snow in front of our driveways. We have 9-10" along the river here in the Tantallon section of Ft Washington. Winds are picking up and light snow mixing with sleet from time to time. Glad I did the drive and walks tonight to get the heavy wet snow cleared before it all freezes solid tonight!

Posted by: ftwash | February 6, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

@JamieYPotomac, yes, I'm throwing snowballs from the relative shelter of my back doorway. The snowfall has really picked up in intensity here. Cleared the topmost power line with snowball attempts #33 and 34 (kinda funny how that works), but I started picking up too much snow on my PJs before I was able to hit the cable TV line.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 6, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Snow is pouring down like a downpour of rain. I'm not sure of how much we've gotten here in downtown Frederick--there's no place good for me to measure, especially now that the wind's kicking up. But I would guesstimate we've got eight inches or so at least.

Viva the snow!

Posted by: dettiot | February 6, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

huh, I guess I did see a transformer blow. I've still got power, but the Pepco map is showing a few customers out just across the tracks and north a block or less. My fingers are crossed I keep power, especially since I can't seem to sleep.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 6, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@SnowLover (and others), don't worry, I'm seeing similar numbers around here in SW DC. Although the wind comes and goes, the actual snowfall is quite light and seems pretty minimal. I saw much heavy drops during the December storm, and I remember going to bed with more snow on the ground.

I'd say we have about 5 inches here, but that might even be generous. Can we really get 15 more overnight and tomorrow? I suppose it's possible.

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

CAN WE GET A COMMENT FROM EXPERTS ON WHERE WE STAND RELATIVE TO EXPECTATIONS?

Is it safe to say this event is underperforming?

Please comment, CWG and other experts. Thanks.

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

The rain/snow line just got shoved back south again. No worries for snow in DC. A very heavy band of snow is now approaching the city from the south.

Posted by: otavio | February 6, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

@ajmupitt

yes...will slow down and should pivot...wouldn't worry about what's not to the southwest

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry to hear of all these power outages. I wish it wasn't coming true like this :-(

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

something like 10 1/2 - 11 inches in Chevy Chase, DC

Posted by: hrs123 | February 6, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

11.5" now in Potomac

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 6, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

kjm1971,

this storm is certainly not underperforming! I don't know where you live but I've got probably 10-12in in fairfax city and the wind has been blowing snow around like crazy! it seems much more powerful than the dec storm

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Heavy wind gusts here in Brookland/Eckington DC. My partly sheltered wind chimes are going crazy. Heavy looking power lines too.

North Cap is being constantly plowed but has several inches of slush/snow. R St NE and NW look impassable.

And with that, it is bedtime.

Posted by: elizqueen | February 6, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

36,000 without power in NOVA now

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

@snowlover2,
A couple possibilities. First, your balcony is probably sheltered and subject to some micro-level wind patterns, which means you might be not measuring levels consistent with your local area. Second, this storm is throwing out some wild accumulation variations, even with localities just a few miles apart. This is a very dynamic storm with wind flying in all sorts of directions locally. Snow totals could vary from one block to the next.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Coming down hard in Occoquan...looks to be between 6 and 8 inches, but it's blowing so it's uneven. We've lost power twice since 9 p.m., and boy it gets cold quickly without it.

Posted by: occoquan1 | February 6, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

SO WE MIGHT NOT GET 20+ INCHS OF SNOW HERE IN MADISON??????

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Easily 10" here of new snow in Thomas Circle - falling so hard I can't see but more than a block in any direction!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Lots of lightning right now in NE DC (near Home Depot).

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | February 6, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Seeing some 50dBZ echoes down Pax River way, heading NNE. Someone's getting walloped once that turns back to snow!

Posted by: HillcrestDC | February 6, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Yup DC is getting buried here around Logan and the Convention Center!
Madison I believe is still in our Capital Weather Gang 16-26" band. 16" is still on-track to happen in Madison.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Here's the total in Oakton, VA as of 11:44 pm, almost 12.5":

Two hours earlier:

Four hours earlier:

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

One foot of snow in Adams Morgan, with the winds howling at the window panes. Still, there's not enough wind to knock the heavy snow from the trees. I could barely knock the snow off branches with a broom.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

@snowedin85:

I couldn't agree more. This is a much better and stronger storm than December. Official reports out of the DC area seem to be 10-12 inches; hours of HEAVY snow still on the way. Up here in Carroll County MD (Eldersburg) we are now approaching a foot. Not sure I have ever seen it snow this hard!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

12" now in Berwyn Heights...

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

@stuckman, Power out for someone near Clopper Lake and the expected restoration is THURSDAY at 1:00am. Ouch.

Posted by: prokaryote | February 6, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

@AlexBike -- Hysterical!

Three flickers of the lights -- power is out a couple of blocks down in Montgomery Square area of Potomac.

Going back out into the wild for a bit. . .

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | February 6, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Darnestown MD reporting in with 14 inches at 12:30. Went to the Caps game BTW, still bitter I felt I had (to save my wife's $300 birthday present). Wild ride home; glad we had a Jeep Cherokee. Thunder snow up here too; expect to lose power tonight as we usually do. What an amazing storm; we are likely to never see the likes of this again.

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 6, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm ready to say, with approximately 10-12 inches of snow on my back porch, if the snow stopped this minute, this was an impressive storm. Thunder, lightning, quality snow - all good.

From now until tomorrow, however, this is a serious situation.

The comments about "underperforming," from a scientific perspective, I understand - and whatever happens, I look forward to the debrief from CWG. But the storms of '83, '96, etc., were very stressful events for this area to get out from under. If this rivals storms in the last 80 years, well, I'd say any metropolitan area in the country would be challenged to deal adequately with this scenario.

30" of snow in 24-36 hours is a lot, period.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Starting to see some higher cloud tops on the incoming snow bands. WOW! This thing is getting stronger!

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the answers, guys! I'm off to bed too- looking forward to seeing what tomorrow will bring...

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

13" now in Dunn Loring (22027). Small hard crystals are falling now, and the wind is really whipping them around!

Posted by: kedzie | February 6, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Why are people already saying this is underperforming? Wasn't this storm supposed to last until tomorrow?

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

This low pressure center should turn out to be most impressive - you are seeing it strengthen right before our eyes!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Still getting ripped off in Georgetown, too.

There can't be more than 5" on my garden table.

But I have never seen tree branches hanging this low under the weight of the smow.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | February 6, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

What link should we be looking at to observe the strengthening of the low pressure?

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 6, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Monday Schoolcast?

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | February 6, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

11.5 inches in Upper Marlboro, MD.

Posted by: dskinner1 | February 6, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

That back edge of the storm is already passing Charlottesville and rapidly approaching Northern Virginia. I hope it starts filling in soon.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

@heatherdc1980

School on Monday? Fuhgeddaboutit

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm still predicting a Monday late start, possible cancellation full day. If the crews get Saturday night and all of Sunday to clear, I think it's possible to get things back to speed by Monday.

The turnaround time during the December storm was pretty impressive for DC, IMO.

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

@Hanz1,
Just look at a good eastern US radar on loop.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Just came in from shoveling...I live just north of Annpolis (by about 2 or 3 miles) and have almost a foot of snow on my deck...Not nearly that amount on the sidewalk...Must have been because of the pavement been so much warmer the last couple of days. CWG...You guys rock! Have spent the day reading all the comments and your updates. As a teacher...I give you all an A+ thus far!

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | February 6, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

The neighbors car is about to officially vanish under the snow. My shoveling efforts are back under white.

My best guess is that I am closing in on a foot now.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 6, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

heatherdc1980: I'd put money on nothing being open Monday except for governments/courts.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

fedcast for Monday......4 capital domes? :)

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 6, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Large tree down at the corner of 11th and S St. NW is partially blocking 11th street. Lots of tree limbs littering the sidewalks all around Logan/Shaw.

Posted by: Entrada | February 6, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Garden Tables are not a good place to measure snow, even if they don't have holes. You will always get a much lower number. If you don't have a yard don't worry, you have more than 5 inches around your building.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh please say that the government will be closed on Monday :)

Posted by: aeturpin | February 6, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

This is awful. Over a ft in western loudoun with power flickering. Sorry, but this storm has no redeeming qualities!

Come on spring.

Posted by: rumbly45 | February 6, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

@snowlover2 I think your porch might be sheltered. I'm at Post Carlyle (three-four blocks away from King St Metro) and when I took the dog across the street to play in the park it was really deep an hour ago. didn't have my ruler but it had to have been up closer to 10 inches or so. Somebody built an awesome snowman in our courtyard but the wind gusts has it starting to lean over...

Posted by: tidalwave1 | February 6, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

@cam,

Thanks. I figured something must have been up for such low numbers.

Power went out for about a second here. I went out for another round with the shavel, and there is a bit of slight mixing in with the snow here in the City of Manassas. The wind is whipping around and it is difficult to figure out what is falling and what is just being blown around.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I think I see the low pressure formation now. Looks like the eye of a hurricane and its headed straight in our general direction.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 6, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Finally back to snow in Charlottesville, and 11.5" measured throughout the day.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | February 6, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

re: measurements in OT Alexandria - "up the hill" as it were (1200 block) I am getting a solid 8.5" @ 10:30pm - average of 6 measurements. A few inches more since then but no way I am going back out there tonight.

BTW - how many of us are in OT Alexandria?

Posted by: SJ43560 | February 6, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Just got back from walking the dog and it was sleeting/raining/snowing. I am in Fairfax Station. We had about 13" as of 12:15 AM. Will it keep sleeting here or change back to snow?

Posted by: thisisit1231 | February 6, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Sleet/freezing rain here (Harry Nice Bridge) for past several hours... only about 5" of snow.

For those of you who want to take some of the stress off of your shrubs and smaller trees - take a broom and brush the limbs UP, not down. You'll be less likely to break any limbs

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 6, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

What's up with the weather channel's report out of BWI as of about 11PM? Only 6 inches? No way that is possible!http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/severe-weather/articles/winter-powerhouse-news-developments_2010-02-05

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Finally hit 32 degrees in Glover Park!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

13" in South Springfield

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 6, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Radar & conditions outside looking wonderful. What a truly amazing storm

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, the important number for record-seekers is DCA, and they're reporting 9 inches right now, which isn't too far behind predictions.

We've got about ten inches on the ground now on the Hill, but the wind is blowing it all over the place, drifting it up against any vertical surface that's in the way. Nobody is going to be able to move their car without a lot of effort.

Posted by: k1avg | February 6, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Camden--how much do you think you have? You're very close to me (I'm at 11th and Mass).

I'm having a heckuva time figuring out how to measure this. If I go onto any hard surface, I can't get much more than 5; but I know that's going to be low because it retained heat that melted the early snow. If I go to grassy areas, I get 6.5 but if I go to my roof and check one of the outdoor tables I tend to use for measurements, I'm at 9.5. Your guess for downtown?

PS: I voted for #3 early on, and 18 for DCA in the most recent poll. I hope you win with 23! I think we narrowly escaped the dreaded sleet--great job on that. May all your forecasts be so good!

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 6, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

If the dryslot reaches dc, does that mean that the pivot is further north and precip expected for the 2nd half misses us north too?

Posted by: gfp76 | February 6, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

13" in Vienna by the Dulles Toll Road....very heavy and wet. What are the snow:water ratios for the storm?

Posted by: hme-vienna | February 6, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

DCA had 8.7 as of 12 midnight; BWI 7.8, both records, no IAD report yet, but it does look like the snow is ending to the SW of here. Or is that just there?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

And just like that, it's over. Wow. Big downer. Time for bed so I can dream about the next one.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | February 6, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

JUST LOOKING FOR A CREDIBLE RESPONSE to the obvious question of whether this storm is meeting expectations.

What gives me concern is the proximity of the snow / sleet line and the local temperature (near 32 F).

Simple question that, surprisingly noone has answered: is this or is this not the storm that we were expecting?

Thanks!!

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Can't get outside my apartment to check...wife is asleep an I don't want to disturb her. Looks like the tables I can see out by the pool deck are covered halfway up their stem...that's likely a foot right there, though it's an exposed enough area we could have drifting. (I'm in Crystal City, and can see DCA right in this viewline when it's not a whiteout.)

Posted by: stevis23 | February 6, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

@pmichaels1

Thanks for the nice words. Will be interesting to see what we wake up to. I gotta get at least a few hours. Will back on around 5:30 or 6 a.m

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Am noticing disparity in area measurements. Looks as if areas north and west of the city are getting far more snow than the District and points south and east.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 6, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

very large snowman being constructed in clarendon - there is one very focused man out there ...

Posted by: novajeffc | February 6, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

DLO1975

This has been a bust for us so far. Only 7" in Columbia. I'm sure totals will go way up once the next bands get here.

Posted by: bitner | February 6, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

1am in Springfield, just a little bit under 12", but there is wind and snow blowing off the roof. Measurement accuracy will degrade from here on out.

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 6, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Over? Surely the radar will fill in again as this bombs off the coast and the 2nd piece of energy moves east.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

@Bitner

Is this you posting from Columbia Chris? Last NWS report out of Columbia was from 6:45PM...4 inches. Surely there's been more than 3 inches since then?

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

@gfp76,
I don't think we are getting that dryslot (in DC). I think this storm is going to pivot right on top of us. The coastal low is deepening right now. That's why NWS keeps bringing up the Knickerbocker storm...

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

what's the best radar site or whatever to track this be-atch?

Thanks!

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

@kjm1971,

if your question were so "obvious," shouldn't someone have bothered to answer it by now?

a suggestion: measure the snowfall wherever you live, then compare that measurement to what was predicted on this website earlier today or yesterday. if that proves to be too difficult or taxing for you, then just continue to complain about how this once-in-a-lifetime weather event is not meeting your expectations.

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 6, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

TRUST ME THEY WILL SAY HOW THE NAILED IT WHAT EVER THE TOTALS ARE. IF I DONT WAKE UP TO 20+ INCHES OF SNOW IT WAS A BUST

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Just made a quick run outside. 13.5" and heavy snow in Fairfax City. That's 5 inches since last shoveling at 930pm, but the wind may be affecting measurements at this point. Think I slightly chipped a bone in joint of my pinky shoveling earlier. Thank goodness for bourbon and that splint I saved from last broken finger!

Posted by: dudster89 | February 6, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Shovelled 6 inches or so around 9pm. Just went outside again and there is another 7 to 8 inches. Damn. I don't want to wake up tomorrow.

Posted by: RoseVA | February 6, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Just went upstairs to check on the weather. It's still snowing. ;)

But as of 1am in my part of Centreville, the wind has calmed and the snow is just coming down, hard and heavy. Cannot believe it.

Curiously, my sister, who lives on the Manassas side of Centreville, emailed me around 9pm to say their snowblower wasn't doing too well with the wet, heavy snow. She is only 3 1/2 miles south of me and the snow quality I have is nothing like she described. I've got the dense, powdery, low moisture stuff.

Amazing what a difference a few miles in any direction can make.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

How many people are planning on trying to stay up through the night to witness this storm first-hand?

Posted by: UpstateSnow | February 6, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

deveinmadisonva: We get it! If the storm doesn't look like this outside your window, it was a bust for you:

Pictured above is the whiteout that should be in Madison, VA apparently

Even though I'm 1000 miles away, I know from many a panicked nights of "OMG IT'S GONNA BE A BUST" that it's usually not and won't be this go around. Calm down. Go to sleep. Wake up refreshed in the morning to shovel your 20"+ of epic failure. Breathe...

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Back to all snow in New Carrollton, and the winds are H O W L I N G just like a hurricane, getting stronger. 11.5 inches so far and snowing hard. Love it. Saw a plow go by about thirty minutes ago, and all that is under snow again. Got about an inch and a half in the past hour.

Posted by: AdmiralX | February 6, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

So far tonight, my apartment building has had two momentary power outages--but since this can happen in my building when the weather is fine, I don't necessarily think it's storm related.

There's a good-sized tree branch broken off the tree across the street from my apartment. Fortunately enough, it didn't take any power lines down with it. Otherwise, Frederick is just hunkering down for the next blast.

Posted by: dettiot | February 6, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Well put, weatherdudeVA.

Posted by: mason08 | February 6, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

MY OPINION IS SUPER IMPORTANT I TYPE IN ALL CAPS PAY ATTENTION TO ME I AM RIGHT THIS STORM IS A FAILURE WHAT FAILURE MEANS DEPENDS ON THE PERSON BUT MY DEFINITION IS MOST IMPORTANT BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND POST CONSTANTLY WHERE ARE MY FRIENDS I HAVE NONE SO I FIX MY AGGRESSIONS ON THIS THREAD OF OTHERWISE EXTREME WEATHER-LOVING PEOPLE WHO DON'T EXAGGERATE OR OVERREACT TO SOMETHING AS ULTIMATELY TRIVIAL AS A SNOWSTORM

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 6, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

uhhh, okay? why are people saying this is a bust. We have over a foot of snow...(13.5) inches out in the Largo with most of it not even close to being done yet. The wind out there is crazy BTW.

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

can someone remove spankymans comments...we are entitled to our opinions but typing in all caps is considered spamming and quite annoying.....

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Upstate Snow - ME!!! Well, not sure how long I'll actually make it, but I am admittedly too jacked up right now to go to bed. Feel the need to be vigilant. It's not like I'll be outside shoveling at 7am trying to get to work.

But I do have to get my bread dough going at some point in the morning. Well, maybe one more glass of wine, and about 20 refresh hits on CWG. That ought to tide me over to the am.

I never bring my laptop to bed, but I may have to tonight. Thank goodness for wireless. In fact, thank goodness for internet. A storm like this without instant communication would not be pleasant.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Spankyman --

I presume you misunderstand me. I'm not complaining about this "once in a lifetime event." I have no desire to go outRside and measure and then analyze the deviation of my observations from the predictions of this website, etc.

Rather, I'm SIMPLY asking all the experts in these comments, and CWG themselves, IS THIS STORM MEETING EXPECTATIONS?

AND THAT QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED.

Look, I have no reason thato think , when we all wake up tomorrow, that we won't be right at expectations, but:

1) I think it's safe to assume we won't be at the top end, or above, right? Eg., we aren't going to see that 2 feet plus are we then? And,

2) Given that, Iaccording to the weather.com radar I'm seeing, there is rain right now in the DC area, I do wonder if we aren't looking at a severely underperforming event.'I'

I don't pretend to be an expert and I hope my relative pessimism is unwarranted. I'd just like to hear a discussion, from the experts, on the issue of whether this event is meeting expectations.

Because, yes, from my lay perspective, I wonder if it is.

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

At 1:15 am, Darnestown reports 16 inches so far. This thing is going bomb out and pivot right over DC, I do believe. 30 inches is now in play - can't believe what I see!

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 6, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

No bust here in Leesburg! Snow 2-3 inches per hour, strong winds, etc!!! If you are down about the storm just go to bed. This is tuly amazing in my neck of the woods. It is like lake effect snows.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 6, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Pretty sure ol' spankyman is just being satirical, mocking Dave in Madison. Madison appears to be a town on the border of the southern (read: lower/lesser) accumulation band. Hence . . .

Posted by: jcanix | February 6, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

ok so then, spankyman, you ARE a tool after all.

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

@kjm

thank you for that nuanced, cogent, reasonable post. if your first two or three posts had been written like that, i never would have had to call you out. i appreciate your perspective and understand where you're coming from.

@III1424

chillaxe, bro.

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 6, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

13" in Oakton - I was skeptical but can easily see reaching 20" (or more), given the conditions. I've shoveled twice so far and will probably keep going out, otherwise the job will be impossible - plus a large tree has already been brought down near us. I hope that's the only one.

Posted by: DellC | February 6, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

looks like the edge of precip is more or less from Fredericksburg to Warrenton right now. I hope it fills in/ or pivots back to the south a bit!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

14" in South Springfield

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 6, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

NWS is reporting 18 inches in Leesburg, big winner as of 120AM EST was Eckhart Mines in Allegheny Co. MD with 20.3 inches of snow.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Sleet out here in Camp Springs. This is depressing. It's hurting the snow totals here, darn it!!!

Posted by: johnnierat | February 6, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

whatever dude, what's the point of "calling out" someone on this blog. kind of humorous.

you want to answer the question I posed? I assume you have the credentials, given your commentary

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 1:30 AM | Report abuse

kjm1971, I think from the "perfect storm" standpoint, this one could have even been a little better (assuming the storm fills in and pivots instead of leaving us high and dry) if only our temps were a little colder at the onset. This led to the hours and hours of snow that only produced 2 measly inches. That was a little bothersome.

I am beginning to think that the pivot is going to be centered over Baltimore more than the DC area, because I see no sign of filling in behind the precipitation shield that is now entering Fauquier County.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

DROP IT, THEY ARE JUST BULLYS

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

===

Both of these are bad assumptions.

The first because it depends on the pivot. The upper end of the predicted amounts are not out of the question IF the costal low stalls and tosses the storm back at us. If it doesn't, we have what we have.

The second because the precip differentiation on the radar has been poor for this storm. There just seems to be so much moisture in the atmosphere that the software is being confused.

The first part of the storm has performed admirably. We'll see what the costal low and cold air from the NW brings.

Posted by: mason08 | February 6, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

14.5" in Dunn Loring (22027) as of 1:30 a.m. and that's it for me for tonight. Can't wait to wake up & see what's fallen overnight!

Posted by: kedzie | February 6, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

@kjm1971

There is no rain in the metro area although there may be some sleet in the eastern suburbs. Radars often improperly represent precipitation type.

The storm is pretty much going according to plan from our perspective. Our forecast was not for two feet plus but for 16-26" and we should hit that.

The one wild card is the dry slot which is working its way north and whether it will reach the metro area before the precipitation starts to pivot back. It's going to be a close call, and totals may be at the lower end of our range if we get dry slotted.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

over 15 inches here in baltimore county. Baltimore area is the place to be when the storm pivots. CWG how long will the pivot take place for?

Posted by: snowlover3 | February 6, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Just took a couple of measurements outside and it is 15-17 inches in bethesda. This is already as much as we received back in December. Curious as to other Bethesda measures and southern montgomery county.

Posted by: bbinbtown | February 6, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Jason, seriously man, get some sleep. This dry slot keeping you up? We appreciate all you've been doing: yeoman's work. Wonder what the measurement is up on Potomac's Gum Tree field . . .

Posted by: jcanix | February 6, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

hi jason...if this dry slot gets over DC in the next hour (or less?), do you think that is pretty much it for the snow entirely? Or do you think there might still be at least a little more? Thanks!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

roughly 12" inches in Glover Park; might be a bit of sleet but mainly snow. took a walk around the hilly neighborhook. like being in Vermont or even the Sierras. haven't seen anything like this since 1979 and if the dry slot doesn't stick around for too long, we should surpass that 1979 18.7" DCA total.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

So assuming DC ends up in the dry slot before the pivot, would that mean the storm is effectively over for us? Or does it just mean there will be some period of time without precipitation?

Posted by: bkkwarlock | February 6, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

@bkkwarlock

Would just be a lull in the precip before it comes back. Looks like the pivot is happening, so DC and points north should keep the snow going. Southern suburbs (esp south of beltway) may see a break.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

looking at the weather channel radar, there is slight hope that the dry spot might be filling in...in the last one or two frames

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Entire block lost power at 10:20 came back on 1:30. Thanks Dominion!
What can you say......epic snowfall rates & big winds. We have some seriously overloaded & stressed trees (especially evergreens)out there. Blowing & drifting will now make accurate measurements impossible in my townhouse community, where we are rapidly running out of room to stack it up.
Although we've been outside a lot, we never saw or heard any t-snow.
Estimate of 14 inches of total snow so far based on measurement of fresh snow just outside door & front steps.
Snow has slowed from last few hours furious pace. Yeah, so like right now we're getting an inch every hour rather than 2.
31 degrees.
I suppose I could make coffee now if I wanted.
Kudos to CWG. This is such a big, bad storm & we all knew about it days in advance.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Here in Franconia we have lower totals, at least from walking about. 12" being generous. The bottom is ICE and the rest is gritty slick messy stuff. Very wet, but very frozen(dense). We are undecided at my house. S/O is saying 22" I think 16, but very hard to clean up. tysm HOA :(

Posted by: Alexandria2009 | February 6, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

The winds are going to get cranking soon so in reality, snow totals are going to be hard to figure in many locations, especially those under the blizzard warning. The storm is shifting energy, that dry slot is already filling in, by the time the vort max blow through here in a few hours every little amount of moisture will be wrung from the atmosphere and sitting as snow across the ground.

Posted by: met1 | February 6, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

so far 9" its still sleeting but the radar shows it being clear this so called dry area is still kicking

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 2:01 AM | Report abuse

Firedragon47, where are you in C'ville that you have Dominion and not NOVEC?

Yes, it has slowed up to a more tolerable pace, but this stuff is so fine, it's hard to see at first. I'm glad it's let up a bit - the accumulation so far is intimidating enough to consider shoveling out of, let along much more.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Lightning and thunder here in Oakton, VA. Amazing!

Posted by: FH59312 | February 6, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, here comes the dry slot. Come on, pivot!

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 6, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

The dreaded dry slot looks to be filling in as the storm intensifies offshore and slows. Hopefully quickly enough where we do not see too much of a lull in a snow in DC. However, all the moderate snows from upper level low in ohio valley need to come east so any lull would only last a few hours at most. Looks like we will be seeing snow for at least the next 12 hours.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

The tension between "I want massive accumulation" and "I want power, especially on Superbowl weekend" is interesting.

Encouraged, nonetheless, by Jason's suggestion that us up in Silver Spring will still see the expected totals...

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

^FIREDRAGON47 home base in Sully Station II off Stone Road.
Staying up all night?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

I just saw three flashes of lighting in Oakton. I never heard the thunder, however. We did lose power briefly earlier tonight.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

what's a good website to monitor all this radar development? thanks

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Starting to pick up again a bit in DC.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 2:10 AM | Report abuse

I have been with the Capital Weather Gang since day one of the old site. After years of kidding and calling for RAIN...it is so nice to see a storm like this happen. It is a little scary however, I have never seen a snow storm in this area like this and the fact that another storm could hit us Tuesday and Wednesday next week and rumors of a fourth storm next weekend...we really could be in serious trouble. The economy in the area will come to a grinding halt!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 6, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Firedragon47, Bobosnow is a bit of a weather vigilante. Not sure what else I can do except periodically check outside, but the thought of going to bed seems, well, reckless and irresponsible on such a night!

I'm not too far from you - in Newgate, right off Braddock/Newton Patent/Awbrey Patent, just on the other side of Stone.

The living room carpet has been steamvac'd and the pasta sauce has been made, so not much else to do but watch the snow fall. Beats watching paint dry. But the cats threw in the towel and are sound asleep.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

In Fauquier Country we have about 16 inches give or take a few. We are getting plastered at this second! That radar doesn't mean anything!!

Posted by: staylorfan06 | February 6, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Perfect forecast fellas, Caps victory, Metro home, and 14-16 inches here in University Park. I have never seen snow accumulate so fast, an I am from Chicago. Clear off car. Shovel walk. Shovel driveway. Rinse, repeat, two more inches. The flakes are small but everywhere. It's not snowing, it's just that the air is snow. Great stuff. Fluffy stuff.

Posted by: BobLHead | February 6, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to go shovel. There's no lack of material out there to work with. And it's 31 degrees.....it's a warm snowstorm.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

I was outside for four hours straight just shoveling and snow blowing away (We didn't get in until a little after 0100 HRS EST). My Mom and I were attacking the driveway, walkway, cars, and we managed to clear it all, only to have it all become recovered multiple times! We decided to let the street sidewalk fend for itself lol. It was fun being out in the snow at night though, we both loved it.

Here is the first photo which I uploaded (Good thing I was suited up, because the wind was whipping wet snow everywhere. I felt like a mountain climber struggling against spindrift):

I have others, but I'll upload & post them all together during the day Saturday/Sunday. Stay tuned!!!

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 2:22 AM | Report abuse

BTW, the last time I measured we had 13 Inches of fresh snow. It was easily coming down at an inch an hour for most of the time I was outside. I would dare say that we have at least 16 Inches now, maybe more.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 2:24 AM | Report abuse

kjm1971 try http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=lwx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

you can zoom out too to get a better overview of the entire mid-Atlantic...precip is definitely pivoting and starting to fill in a bit again inside the Beltway!

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

NWS radar showing signs of pivot and snow not disappearing anymore in southern PW county -- maybe we'll stay in precip in Fairfax. Also some backfill down to the Hook. And Intellicast Metro radar "warning cones" showing signs of precip moving towards NW now instead of NE. My weather station also showing more consistent winds from ENE instead of SE. Hopefully that is good sign for continued precip!

Posted by: dudster89 | February 6, 2010 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Thundersnow in Rosslyn

Posted by: genestad | February 6, 2010 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Just north of Del Ray - Just saw some major lightning + thunder to the northeast. Lots of wind & snow blowing around but, oddly, not much accumulation here - from my window it still looks like 6-7 inches tops. From the sound it makes hitting my window it seems like there might still be some sleet mixed in with the snow.

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 6, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

there was about a foot at 2am in Silver Spring

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

FINALLY, just heard thunder south of Fairfax. Been waiting many years for the chance for thundersnow!

Posted by: dudster89 | February 6, 2010 2:37 AM | Report abuse

my footprints from an hour ago are just about filled in; temps sliding downward in Glover Park. I don't think this storm is over with.

Please if you're outside and you see a fire hydrant, clean the snow from around it. They are getting covered up now.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

NW DC - Georgetown - 13" measured in open area, but wind makes any precise measurement impossible. I think the coastal low looks to deepen a little further north than anticipated - forecast for south and west of DC most likely to be impacted. The next few hours will see if we get the fill in south of DC to keep the heavy snow going - further north towards Baltimore looks more certain for prolonged heavy snow. Even if DC gets into the dry slot, the upper low to the west is tracking south of us and will keep the light to moderate snow into tomorrow. If the coastal low moves slow enough, strengthens, and keeps us in the heavy snow bands, totals of 2 feet+ for DC are still in play - sleet from early today is all snow and with the colder air, liquid to snow ratios should go up from here.

Posted by: manatt | February 6, 2010 2:39 AM | Report abuse

@manatt, 13" in G'town sounds right. I measured 12" in Glover Park about an 80 mins. ago. agree it's difficult to measure. it took me about five times to come up with a figure I thought was about right.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Update: I just went back outside with my other dog, and there's already a solid 2-3 Inches MORE accumulation on the spots we had continuously cleared until roughly an hour ago. This is a beautiful storm, and I'm set to make a freaking Igloo tomorrow lol (I just hope that the power stays on, especially so I can keep logging onto CWG).

Also, one observation, the flakes were extremely wet when I first went out at 2100 HRS EST, but by the time we came in, they were much drier.

Our lights keep flickering, even without a massive amount of wind. My HD is out on the SAT, and now the SD is even bugging somewhat (The dish must be BURIED). What an adventure Snowmageddon truly is ;-)

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Snow bands starting to fill in and wrap around from our west.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 6, 2010 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Leesburg to Baltimore is getting hammered.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 2:49 AM | Report abuse

where is the low centered, Hampton Roads?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1, good reminder for those of us staying up late in this great storm.

Posted by: truyle | February 6, 2010 2:50 AM | Report abuse

man Baltimore has been getting hit hard the last couple of hours!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 2:55 AM | Report abuse

i am just north west of baltimore. i have been getting pounded for 4 staright hours. i have over 18 inches. at least 30mph winds power has flashed. roads have a foot of snow on them

Posted by: snowlover3 | February 6, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Snowfall rate fallen off here to fine steady flakes.
Think I will try to get a few hours of rest.....big question now is will this storm get a huge second wind in the next few hours & give us another foot+ (thus smashing some of these records we've been reading so much about) before it's all over tomorrow PM? Is CWG still on the bandwagon for 16++ at DCA?

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Moderate snow here in upper NW DC near Chevy Chase with about 14 inches measured at 3am. The storm is near northern outerbanks south of virginia beach with 989MB. In comparison the 1993 storm was down to 960 and the 2003 storm was 1011 and the 1996 storm was 980, which this supposed to get down to later this morning. This is a very strong blizzard and it looks like DC got the pivot point just in time to continue snowfall for another 12 hours. The winds are out of NE now which is a good sign because the storm will start pulling in cold air and wrap in moisture from atlantic so the snow ratios will be higher and snow will accumuluate faster.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 3:01 AM | Report abuse

wow snowlover3...think we "only" have 14" here in Berwyn Heights, just NE of DC. Perhaps you'll get 30" before it's all done!!! I'm just hoping to hit 20!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

hey ajmupitt...just curious, are you a meteorologist? Sounds like you know your stuff:)

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 3:06 AM | Report abuse

@amjupitt, thanx for update

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Knob Creek over ice works well.

Posted by: lingering_lead | February 6, 2010 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Riverdale Park's already got its 16". Over the top of my boots :(

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 6, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

I think, just maybe, this thing may have mercifully crapped out...Now if this wind will lay down. Do we have an, "All Clear," for Southern Maryland?

Posted by: SMIB | February 6, 2010 3:31 AM | Report abuse

CWG I am a little concerned - the radar looks as if it is almos over? Is it still going to snow until the afternoon?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone let me know if we are still predicted to get snow for another 12 hours as predicted, or is thing supposed to fizzel out much earlier?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 3:44 AM | Report abuse

@Snowlover - don't fret, radar filling back in from the SW. Still tons of energy out west in Indiana, Illinois to move through!

Posted by: johnnyd2 | February 6, 2010 3:44 AM | Report abuse

Check out the 12hr forecast from the RUC - the low to the west moves in and keeps it snowing into early afternoon

Posted by: johnnyd2 | February 6, 2010 3:49 AM | Report abuse

Indiana? What's it going to do? Catch a bus to Atlanta and come up the coast? Come on haven't we had enough of this? It looks like we're clearing out down here...Loc: Calvert/St. Mary's

Posted by: SMIB | February 6, 2010 3:51 AM | Report abuse

NWS does not think D.C. will break the Knickerbocker Storm at this point but will break the record for National Airport. We do have until around 2pm for additional snow with the pivot as well as energy coming from Kentucky.

Next week we have to look out for more snow or rain/snow which looks to bring us another significant round of measurable snow!!!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 6, 2010 3:53 AM | Report abuse

@SMIB - can't say for St. Mary's exactly, but folks in DC and north and west, chill - untill the next episode. More to come. But after 3inch per hour rates might be boring!

Posted by: johnnyd2 | February 6, 2010 4:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: johnnyd2 | February 6, 2010 4:05 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Johnny...Hey, I don't mean to put a damper on everybody's snow orgy, I'm just more a of a sun screen kinda guy. Weather that wants to kill me makes me edgy...

Posted by: SMIB | February 6, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

@jonnyd2 is is plausible that we could pick another 10"+ here 10 miles southe of BWI before is really starts to taper off?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 4:13 AM | Report abuse

Reston, VA, I am now measuring 18". Given the fact that we had a maximum 1.5" snow base leftover from the previous storm, this conservatively places the current snowfall so far at this locale at 16.5". We are definitely on the way to beating the December 19th storm (Where I measured 19" of total accumulation). I wouldn't be surprised if we hit a solid two feet worth of snowfall by the time all is said and done here (Even at 1" an hour, it is completely within range, and so far I have not witnessed any accumulation rates below such since at least 2100 HRS EST (0200 Z), 05FEB10).

Btw, some of the drifts are easily 2.5 FT deep already, and I saw a few which I believed were close to 3 FT. The piles of shoveled snow are 4 FT. + right now, by the end of snowfall clearing, I estimate they will be upwards of 5 FT. + here.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 4:21 AM | Report abuse

@johnnyd2 do you think it is plausible that we receive 10-12" more inches here 10 miles due south of Baltimore before this thing is over?

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 4:22 AM | Report abuse

I am here looking and monitoring this storm as a snow lover/fan and can't help to ignore the fact that the storm is leaving the area soon. I read about the pivot point but (pardon my ignorance), what do you mean? How will it not just keep going north? did this storm go further north then expected? Are we going to see a stop in the snow? what about this low pressure center CWG posted earlier about?

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 4:23 AM | Report abuse

@Snowlover - definantly

Posted by: johnnyd2 | February 6, 2010 4:24 AM | Report abuse

sorry for the double post........

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 4:24 AM | Report abuse

1424 look at his post at 4:05 plenty of moisture to the west that is headed our way!

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 4:29 AM | Report abuse

Whether or not we see much more heavy snow pivoting in from the low off the east coast is debatable. However, there is hope of some more moderate snow to continue. We may get dry slotted for a time. That also remains to be seen.

Latest from the NWS:
HV TWEAKED THE SNOW TOTALS BACK FURTHER. I'D HEARD ON TV LAST EVE
TALK OF HITTING THE NUMBERS OF THE FAMED DC KNICKERBOCKER STORM -
BUT THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. ON THE OTHER HAND BOTH DC AND
BALT BROKE DAILY SNOWFALL RECORDS FRI...BOTH RECORDS OVER 110 YRS
OLD...SO THIS CAN STILL BE CALLED A RECORD BRKG STORM.

ON RDR THERE'S A VERY DEFINITIVE BACK EDGE SHOWING UP ACROSS
CENTRAL VA. HOWEVER FOR SNOW LOVERS I DON'T THINK THIS MEANS AN
END TO THE SNOW. 850 AND 500 MB ANLYS BOTH SHOW DEEPENING UPR LOW
OVR MID MS VALLEY WL BE TRACKING ACROSS SRN VA TDA. HVIER PCPN MAY
MOVE OUT TO SEA BY MID MRNG HOWEVER APRCHG UPR LOW WL LV MUCH OF
THE CWA IN LGT/MDT SNOWFALL INTO AT LEAST MID AFTN. XPCT PCPN TO
CHG BACK OVER TO SNOW IN ST. MARY'S TOO.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 6, 2010 4:29 AM | Report abuse

oh ..lord. Its only 5 in the morning and the snowfreaks are already geeking...

i got some if you have the money..
Buahahaaaaa

Posted by: heehee | February 6, 2010 4:29 AM | Report abuse

@heehee I pay top dollar -- bring it!

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Just saw lightning here in Laurel, but didn't hear any thunder. The people still fretting about a bust are obviously not seeing out their windows what I'm seeing out of mine. The snow and wind are coming down pretty furiously, and there is already a ton on the ground. (I'm on the 6th floor and I have the flu... I'm not sure going town to measure would be very prudent!)

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 4:44 AM | Report abuse

At 4:45 am, hardly any snow is falling over Adams Morgan. I think I just heard some thunder, however.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 4:49 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, three brown outs in quick succession.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 4:55 AM | Report abuse

@ pjdunn1, I'm counting on the Easterly movement of the system over the open bodies of water, to start drawing more moisture back into the action. Whether this prevents a dry gap, I have no idea, but it might strengthen the tail-end (Let's get a giant Nor'Easter pumping here!).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 5:00 AM | Report abuse

Update:

WUSATV9 News Anchor Howard Bernstein just did a 5am update and expects 6-12 more inches for the DC area. Snow will pick up in intensity at around 7-8am and last a few hours.

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

5am-Snow is moderate here again after light for an hour about 16-18 inches here in upper NW DC near Chevy Chase Village. Some very heavy snow is moving into northern part of DC and Bethesda/Sliverspring area soon from Northeast up toward Baltimore. Heavy snow bands are now moving southwest toward DC and low intensifies and rotates moisture in from ocean.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Update:

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Moderate snow has started here in Adams Morgan again. Was shoveling the relatively heavy snow, accumulations of new snow 16". It seems that our neighborhood in DC has already met CWG's lower end of forecast snow.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 5:08 AM | Report abuse

lol

Weather channel "local on the 8s" just said 40% chance of snow with less than an inch of accumulation today. Silly, silly.

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 5:11 AM | Report abuse

megamuphen....wow. are you serious? shows how accurate that is for you.....

Posted by: lll1424 | February 6, 2010 5:14 AM | Report abuse

I still think places like NW DC will come in around 24 inches by the end of this storm 12 hours from now.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

It's fixed now, the "tonight" forecast was showing up as "today"

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Now I am measuring 19" in Reston, VA, as of 0534 HRS EST. That means a 17.5" conservative measurement, with regard to the base already in place from last Tuesday's snowfall.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 5:36 AM | Report abuse

I am out for now. I will catch my CWG brethren later. Stay safe, and have fun everyone!

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm confused by the storm totals reported as the records. From the weekend storm a few years back (2005?), I measured 32" from that one.

The Knickerbocker storm, as far as I'm concerned has been passed several times in the past 20 years, I shoveled them.

When I got out in about 2 hours to start clearing the snow, I expect to see around 18-20". And if get another 6", then we'll be right at 2" -- hardly a record for my property, but certainly bigger than any of the official records.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 6, 2010 5:49 AM | Report abuse

The Barometer just bottomed out and now it has begun to climb. The end is in sight.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 6, 2010 6:00 AM | Report abuse

I have not measured but we are surely over 12, and if I had to guess, are at about 18"

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Where's that 5:30 to 6:00 AM update Saturday from the Weather Gang? Don't tell me the snow got to the Weather Gang!

Posted by: cmckeonjr | February 6, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

how is that man made global warming doing for ya?

maybe algore already solved it by pretending to plant trees.

Posted by: infantry11b4faus | February 6, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse