The new Washington

* Federal government closed Thursday: Federal Eye *
* NWS snow totals | Report totals to CWG | View submitted totals *
* Snowiest winter ever | Today's Q&A | NWS: Stay off the roads *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E | SMECO *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Radar has finally cleared out and the storm is essentially over, except for continued gusty winds and blowing snow. All warnings have been dropped for the metro area. We'll be back in the morning with our full forecast into early next week, which will assess the chances for snow on Monday (see Jason Samenow's post from earlier for an initial take on the threat). Until then, let's all go to sleep, shall we?

By Dan Stillman  | February 10, 2010; 11:00 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It won't stop: Snow, wind still pounding region
Next: Snoverwhelming: Tracking another snow chance

Comments

FIRST!

Posted by: ironmanjt | February 10, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Good night and thank you!

Posted by: artandcarly | February 10, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

What's your FedCast for Friday?

Posted by: sandygbandy | February 10, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CWG!!! You deserve a good nights rest. Sleep well knowing you're doing an awesome service for many, many people!!!

Posted by: dibabe | February 10, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Snoverkill--out.

Posted by: melinweb | February 10, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I just hope there isn't a ..."for now" addendum on the end of that headline... LOL.

Get some sleep CWG. You all have earned it!

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 10, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

After dealing with years of mostly dull weather around D.C., the Capital Weather Gang really strutted their stuff! Thanks!

Posted by: ricschwartz | February 10, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Sleep well CWG!! Great work.

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 10, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a day huh? Hopefully not to be repeated any time soon...

CWG, a huge thanks once again. I watched the posts here all day long from work, time and workload permitting, and the coverage was amazing.

Posted by: natsncats | February 10, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see you all on here - but get some sleep too. Still most places of work will be shutdown on Friday. OPM would likely do at least a 2 hour delay with unscheduled leave on Friday, is my prediction. And at least 50% chance of full closure. Not sure how that makes you feel, depending on how much cabin fever you have!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CWG! Your reliable info had a very positive effect on the region's ability to cope with extreme weather -- when to stay in, when to go out, and what to expect. No doubt you saved folks money, time and maybe their well being!

Posted by: cosmo12 | February 10, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Night all!

Sweet dreams! I have a feeling mine will feature snow :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 10, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Camden (and everyone) -- your local police, fire and EMS will be on the job no matter what the conditions. We may doze, but never close. Call us if you need us!

Posted by: natsncats | February 10, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Congrats for getting through that, everyone! You deserve a nice, warm sunny week or seven (after the snow melts, of course).

It's my turn to listen to the panic over snow, it's just completely different from what you guys just went through. Rain changing to snow with a few inches possible by Friday evening. They're already talking about school closings possible on Friday.

CBS 5 here in Mobile is showing videos of what it will look like if it snows here in Mobile, and telling people what to expect and how to react. "Now this is what it will look like when the snow starts, pay careful attention to the roads and see how they're not snow covered, so don't panic, okay?"

It's stinkin' hilarious.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 10, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CWG and all the great posters for helping me stay on top of these epic storms!!

Posted by: JDK4 | February 10, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Nice job CWG. Kudos all around. Stay safe everyone.

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | February 10, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Great work by CWG. This is an excellent resource and a (mostly) civil forum for discussion.

But why do I get the sinking feeling that this isn't the last time this winter I'll be religiously reloading the site for updates on impending snow...after all, it's only February 10th!

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 10, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

CWG made the Drudge Report! Love it or hate it, but they're going to see a huge jump in traffic.

I love snow, or at least I thought I loved snow. At this point, thinking about Monday's storm just makes me tired. I'm guessing the chances of seeing grass again is March at the earliest?

Posted by: nlcaldwell | February 10, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I also want to say congrats to the Capitol Weather Gang. Although there were some blips in the forecast, by and large, they nailed this one. This is a historic season and these guys have been here for every minute of it. And they monitor the blog very well to make sure people don't trash it. You earn every dollar paid to you and I am very thankful for all that you do.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | February 10, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

See you all Monday. lol

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Random question....at WISP in Deep Creek MD with a wife who broke her leg in two places. Need to get her back to DC sooner rather than later -when you you guys think the roads will be passable enough to get home safely and have it not take 13 hours?!?

Thanks!!

Posted by: brianwork | February 10, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't even know how much snow we got here in AdMo but it was a blizzard for sure. Thank god it's over. I used to be a snow lover. Now I'm kinda rethinking that. Unfortunately, unlike the federal govt, I gotta go to work tomorrow. What's that old cliche everyone jokes about their parents telling them about having to trudge through snow uphill to get to work?

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | February 10, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Another vote of thanks for the excellent coverage... now for the digging out!

Posted by: haggis | February 10, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

CWG - you guys did a fantastic job all round. Have a well deserved good night lads.

Posted by: IvantheTerrible | February 10, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for doing a great job on this over the past 10 days or so!

A question: I'm thinking of driving out to Whitetail or Liberty first thing in the morning to ski. If any of you weather gangers are still reading--What do you think the roads will be like heading from here out that way from the District?

Great work, thanks again.

Posted by: willm2 | February 11, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments! Have a great night and we'll see ya tomorrow, when the outdoors will still look like nothing I've personally ever seen before.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | February 11, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, CWG, for the great coverage! Closed out here in N. Arlington w/12.5" for Snoverkill.

Of course, historically the snowiest months in the DC area are Jan - Mar. We're not even 1/2 way through that period yet. Just sayin'...

Posted by: wx_bob | February 11, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

oh no, nlcaldwell - don't plant that idea in my head. I hope we see grass/ground again before March! ;)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 11, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, the title of this post also applies to the Capitals' winning streak. But I would like to take this opportunity to add my sincere thanks to the CWG for their hard work and constant updates over the past several days. This site is a great source of information and it's been fun reading all the posts lately.

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 11, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Temps in downtown DC now up 10 degrees from 10 hours ago, when the snowfall began slowing. Readings around 29 degrees in lower NW.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 11, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Agreed.. great coverage by CWG. What I really appreciate is the timely updates on what ever's going on.. a truly real time weather resource. Great job. My only suggestion in the comments section would be to put the most recent comments first, or split them up into pages of 25 comments, to save from constant scrolling on those busy days. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned.. of that 55" of snow in DC this winter, 38" has fallen in the past 12 days (and 55" in Baltimore!). That's a lot of snow in a short span even for a northern city that is used to snow, never mind a city like Washington. So if it takes a while to get through this, there's a legitimate reason.. this is a staggering amount of snow for this part of the world.

Posted by: snowbiz | February 11, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

one more voice of awe and admiration. you guys have been fantastic. many thanks.

oh, and btw? no more snow please :)

Posted by: miglefitz | February 11, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

willm2, you might want to consider VA resorts (Bryce, Massanutten, or Wintergreen). 511virginia.org has road conditions. Seems Maryland/PA was hit much harder.

Or you could check MD conditions before heading out.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 11, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I'll be happy as long as the Metro is working above-ground on Saturday.

Thanks so much to the CWG for all their amazing work over the last couple of weeks. You've absolutely been my go-to for weather news.

Posted by: spyderjerusalem | February 11, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

CWG-sleep well tonight, you deserve it. Great job as usual. Thanks!

Posted by: mcaicedo | February 11, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Wind has now shifted totally to due west from due east this AM. Probably cause of rising temps.

Posted by: dhb2 | February 11, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Bringing up the rear...thanks guys - you're weather rockstars!

Posted by: davis_renee | February 11, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

This has been the place to be for the past six days on the net. Great forecasting, and (mostly) intelligent reader participation with descriptive local reporting.

Able to enjoy the blizzard vicariously here. Thanks, all. (And make sure your editors read this thread!)

Posted by: FormerSubscriber | February 11, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

The Feds should close down on Friday, because there is a MAJOR lack in parking spaces everywhere. Knowing bureaucrats though, I wouldn't doubt a bonehead move on their behalf.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 11, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse

@dhb2, I have experienced the same exact thing here in Reston, VA. At dusk, it was 20 Deg. F. out, with a wind chill alternating between single digits, and sub-zero. Now however, it is roughly 28 Deg. F., with a wind chill in the mid-teens.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 11, 2010 3:01 AM | Report abuse

@Camden, lol NO WAY. I want the chance to dye some yard snow green for St. Paddy's! I don't care to see the grass until Easter.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 11, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

@Dan, I remember back in 1993 & 1996, when we had snow lying around like this for weeks on end. As a matter of fact, we didn't have contractor plows back then, only VDOT, and we had to hike to the grocery store and back with a sled for the groceries. People were actually cross-country skiing down Reston Pkwy., as it stayed covered with unplowed snow for at least a solid week after the storm ended. Those were the days :-D

Also, I remember the ice coating we received in 1993 in addition to the snow, and my neighbor went sliding down the hill between our homes. She grabbed a tree in the woods to finally stop, and what do you know, a moment later the mailman ended up going sailing by her LOL. She yelled "Grab a tree!", and he managed to save himself before going too far hahah.

Anyways, despite what some snowbelt dwellers think, our "Big" storms actually turn out to be far worse than theirs. They might receive a considerably greater amount of average Winter season snowfall, but when we get walloped in D.C., we get hit HARD (Just ask my friends and family from Finland, NY, and NE). As a matter of fact, just compare our current season to much of Alaska's average snowfall accumulation levels, and we have already surpassed the "Medium" snowfall cities (ie, Fairbanks, AK, & Anchorage, AK). Not only that, but we surpassed them with only two months of snowfall, as opposed to their average seven month Winter seasons.

Btw, thanks CWG for keeping up the good work :-) I like having some resident Meteorologists around whom we can converse with on a regular basis.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 11, 2010 3:17 AM | Report abuse

@WillM2, I'm going skiing as well, but I think I'm going to try Massanutten this year. The roads to Massanutten are more or less highways, whereas Whitetail is really out there, and Liberty has some extremely small roadways (Also, as some have said, PA was hit harder in this latest storm. Also, I don't find their roadways very appealing even in the best of weather). It's all your personal choice though. For Massanutten, check out this site for VA Road Conditions:

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 11, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Edit: Don't forget the Wintergreen Ski Resort as well, it's in the frontal range of the Blue Ridge, down near Charlottesville. I've never been there personally, but it seems like a good bet.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 11, 2010 3:23 AM | Report abuse

I suppose I need to post here because commenting is not enabled on the Storm Reporting page. I think the CWG has given great up-to-the-minute coverage of the recent snowstorms and many of your posts have been informative and helpful. Therefore, take this as constructive criticism with a grain of salt: the Storm Reporting map is a useless waste of space.

When I zoomed in, instead of getting precise views of where each "though bubble" recorded various inches, each bubble just magnified until it was a pixillated mess.

I didn't click on the map because I wanted to see a larger version of what I already saw. I click on an "interactive" map because I expect it to tell me more. This map looks like something my 5 year old cousin could make -- and with about as much insight.

Posted by: alexisearly | February 11, 2010 3:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to sleep, if only our neighbors at 6215 Greenbelt Rd didn't think that snow creates a global exception to noise nuisance laws. Heavy loaders and urban assault vehicles to clear a parking for businesses that don't open til 9a,??!!

Posted by: bigolpoofter | February 11, 2010 3:55 AM | Report abuse

"This map looks like something my 5 year old cousin could make -- and with about as much insight."

That's constructive? You must be a barrel of laughs to learn from.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 11, 2010 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Jason.....I know you have thumbed through hundreds of comments, and probably don't remember it, but thanks for the official response to my inquiry last evening on why those insane snow bands just wouldn't quit over Fairfax/Loudon countues last night....and the fact that the models simply didn't pick it up. I have considerable weather traning/experience, but am not exactly a meterologist. We've had cases of constant fill-in/never-ending, wraparound snow bands from most of the storms this season (including the three big ones), but the ones last night were just insane. The closest I've ever seen to something like that, before last night, was probably the Blizzard of '96. there were indications that the low was becoming vertically-stacked and becoming closed or cut-off, with little or no push to it (and even some W/SW drift). That, of course, would have been a true disaster for our region....thank God that didn't happen.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | February 11, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

You guys are the greatest! Kudos!! If I see grass in March, I may have to (ulp) mow it..

Posted by: jws3 | February 11, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse