The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 02/ 6/2010

Moderate to sometimes heavy snow rolls on

By Ian Livingston

Fluffier snow leads to another 6"+ in many spots

* Blizzard Warning for D.C. and eastern suburbs (see map) *
* Winter Storm Warning through late Saturday evening (elsewhere) *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* Accumulations so far - Map | NOAA urges safety | Driving tips *
* What to eat during the storm? | CWG on Facebook & Twitter *
* Follow storm on twitter: #Snowpocalypse | E-mail update to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Many of our best storms conclude with a final snow thump when the upper-level energy swings through and interacts with the moisture from the coastal surface low -- this one fits the bill. As temperatures continue to cool aloft and at the surface, the previously moisture-laden snow has transitioned into a fluffier and more powdery one. Accumulations are now ranging from over a foot to around two feet, leading to downed trees and wires which have helped cause numerous power outages.

Heavy wet snow continues to pile up in Cleveland Park this morning. Photo by CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

With the low pressure slow to move out and still pumping moisture back into cold air, another general half-foot of snow should fall with some spots getting more and others perhaps less. It is likely that much of the snow from here out will be moderate until it starts to taper this afternoon, but there will also be embedded heavier bands capable of producing 1-2"+ per hour. One rather large band is currently drifting in from the north and will slowly move southeast through the entire area during the midday into early afternoon.

By Ian Livingston  | February 6, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Snowmageddon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Buried & more coming: another 5-8 inches today
Next: The storm's gone, so let's celebrate

Comments

First?

Thundersnow in Silver Spring around 8:45 AM. Near zero visibility before that. Now, coming down hard. Over 1 inch since 9 AM.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Do you have a time frame for when it's suppose to end? Some places say afternoon, others say for another 10 hours....

Posted by: hereandnow1 | February 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Back in December, I remember thinking: well, enjoy it. It'll be the last time you see this much in DC for ages.

Boy, was I wrong.

What's next, 3 DC hurricanes this summer?

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the totals at the three local airports as of this morning?

If DCA/National is 10 inches below everywhere else, can we start a petition to the NWS to move their reporting station back into the city where it was for the Knickerbocker storm?

Posted by: tsqnova | February 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think we ought to have a moratorium on people who DO NOT LIVE IN DC calling bust on the DC FORECAST simply because they do not see it come true out their own windows.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Blizzard conditions now near the bay bridge, AA county. Our anemometer is iced up, so not sure exactly how fast it is blowing, but the sound ans wave height is like the December storm now.

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Still coming down in Fredericksburg, very windy, as well. 30 degrees.

Posted by: tridentbulldog | February 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

as a snow hater, I usually get encouraged when I see things let up around Charlottesville or Culpeper, but with this storm happy to see things tapering off in Cincinnati, was at KC yesterday

Posted by: TGT11 | February 6, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Ijamsville, Frederick County Plowing update #3

Most impressive storm in my life. Everyone enjoy their super bowl weekend - Very few of us in the northern and northeast suburbs will be at the office on Monday -

Should have stayed awake all night. Completely outgunned with a 24hp 4 wheel drive tractor with a 54 inch blade. I need a bucket, not the blade. Took two hours to clear about 100 yards. We live off the county road. Might see that road with my truck perhaps on Monday, at this rate.

Snow depth, easy 24-27 inches. We'd have 30 on the ground if it stuck between 11-5 yesterday. Drifts are very impressive. It is snowing very hard here, and has, steady, since 6am. The wrap around is in full effect. Time for eggs, bacon and more coffee. Beer will taste very good around 4 today...fingers crossed on the power...

Posted by: drc231 | February 6, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Please make it stop. I'm begging.

Posted by: rumbly45 | February 6, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

2 feet in Ashburn and counting!

Posted by: skbm1 | February 6, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Several hours of sleet/freezing rain last night in So. Charles County at the Potomac has kept our total inches down considerably. Snow has picked up again. The plow got down to bare pavement about an hour ago, but the road is covered again.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 6, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

heavy snowfall now in Clarendon. as a lot of people say, it's hard to measure but my best guess is we're approaching 2 feet. so impressed with the radar still!

Posted by: novajeffc | February 6, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Same here in Georgetown - any attempt to measure accumulation would have a statistical uncertainty that is greater than most snowstorms. I'd say we have between 16 and 22 inches out there now, with moderate to heavy snow coming down.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Almost impossible to get an accurate measurement. I know there can be a sharp cut off from west to east, but I think some totals may be a little high.

Posted by: tjack55 | February 6, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

So what's the tally at National - 7.5"?

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Dominion Virginia Power has an excellent interactive map showing the outages, number of customers affected, and, sometimes, when they expect to get it fixed.

Posted by: dottie_b | February 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

@tsqnova-

DCA 13.1 inches as of 7:00 a.m.
Dulles 20.0 inches as of 6:45 a.m.
BWI 22.0 inches as of 8:30 a.m.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I reported 2 feet in Pimmit Hills a couple of hours ago, based on what's on top of my garbage can and shed. Now having shovelled a bit and taken some soundings, it looks more like 19 inches or so.

Posted by: ornery1 | February 6, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

thanks ann for the totals.

now who on this blog is politically connected and can start a petition to move the official weather site for DC from National to say downtown DC or the Naval Observatory?

Posted by: tsqnova | February 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I had 19" (settling probably makes it like 20-21") around 845 in Cleveland Park. Snowing like mad again.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I am in Columbia, Maryland,and just measured in the middle of our street. We have 21 and a half inches as of 10:00 am. It is still coming down at a fairly good clip.

Posted by: tonyribeiro | February 6, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know the record snowfalls for Maryland and Virginia, or where I could find them? All the news outlets are comparing possible accumulation to the Knickerbocker storm...the totals for areas outside the city must be much higher. I'm just wondering how this storm will really stack up against the records for entire states.

Posted by: ferguson13 | February 6, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

CWG - When do you think you'll be posting a FedCast for Monday?

Posted by: Query123 | February 6, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

As of about 30 minutes ago, I measured an additional 13 inches in Herndon 20170 (on the area I shovelled last night). That brings me to 21" total so far for the storm - the amount on branches and grass is probably at least a couple inches more. Still snowing steadily.

Posted by: fsd50 | February 6, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Well finished the latest shoveling round. Took three different measurements with my yardstick. My highly unofficial average is 26 inches at 10:30am in Ellicott City. Snow is still coming down hard.

Posted by: Finn1917 | February 6, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Lost power twice this morning in Reston, VA....arrgggg. 24" + here...I'm not going back out again...it's too much of an effort at this point.

Posted by: parksndc | February 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

someone said 48 inchs at big meadows once??? anyway 11" here in madison va snow is swirling around like crazy

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Just north of Del Ray - I officially give up trying to measure this stuff. lol. I just went for a walk with a tape measure and saw everything from a few inches to what looked like a few feet in the deeper drifts that I couldn't even walk to. I measured from 10-17 inches within one small area. Let's just say there's a LOT of snow out there. ;) On the down side, lots of fallen branches and a couple trees completely down: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n204/esmith22015/Snowmageddon/IMG_2884.jpg

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Power out in my neighborhood (DC Friendship Heights - between Wisconsin and River and Western)since 6:00 AM, still snowing moderately, at least 22" on ground.

Posted by: dhb2 | February 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Need to clean off your shrubs and small trees? Take a broom and brush gently from the bottom UP, not down. Brushing down may break already weight-stressed limbs. Brushing berry-bearing plants will also expose the berries for the birds.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Well, if National had 13.1 at 7a.m., at this point, they should be starting to close in on all those 16 inchers lined up in the middle part of the top 10. When it's all said and done, this storm should come in at #3 or #4, easily, no?

Posted by: wayuptown | February 6, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

DCA snow measurements have always been out of whack! 13.1? how do you measure snow to the .1"

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

South side of Rockville = 22" with heavy snow. Several evergreen tree limbs down. Looks good for breaking my all-time record of 24" in '96!

Posted by: DOG3521 | February 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

**HOUSE NUMBERS NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OFF**

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@waterfrontproperty: Great advice, thank you!

Posted by: --sg | February 6, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

It is still coming down heavy here in the City of Manassas. I cleaned off 6" this morning from the walk, after clearing it at midnight. Another 1.5" has fallen in the last 1.5 hours. For a total of about 17" so far, though, it did not start to stick in ernest until 4PM yesterday. The roads are packed snow and ice, and the wind is moving pretty good.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Here on the eastern edge of Leesburg - the reports of 25" are about right, and its coming down as hard as ever right now. Power went out seven times last evening for very brief periods, like 1 minute, but went out for good sometime overnight. Concerned about how many outages there are and when Dominion will get power back on in our neighborhood. Also concerned about the evergreens - all are drooping over almost touching the ground. What a monster.

Posted by: TerpInTime | February 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@Finn1917: love your handle. We Finn's should be able to handle this, no?

Posted by: tridentbulldog | February 6, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Just shoveled the driveway. 20 inches in Vienna as of 10 am. A few drifts in the back yard are nearly 3 feet. Hot cocoa...

Posted by: BidsKids | February 6, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Very light wind and 14" of snow in Colubmia Heights as of about 930am. This is such an odd storm; tiny flakes such that whenever I look outside it hardly looks like it is snowing at all. Still, I am pretty sure the 14" of snow came from somewhere...

Posted by: whovous | February 6, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Repeat for --sg: The robins you are seeing are likely from Canada. They are berry feeders, so as long as there are berry bushes or juniper trees nearby, they shouldn't starve. I've had several in my neighborhood all winter.

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Just measured 18" on the Snow Collection Platform of Science in Dunn Loring (22027), though I think that's somewhat short since snow has started blowing around and off said platform. Still coming down steadily!

Posted by: kedzie | February 6, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

we never once had big flakes i guess thats why we only have 11" oh! sleet had to have played with are totals

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

There's an awful lot of snow on my roof. Are houses in danger here? Especially older houses that are not made of brick? That's my No. 1 worry.

Posted by: mhardy1 | February 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm so jealous of you Washingtonians! I grew up in Buffalo and lived for days like this! I remember one particular storm (lake effect, of course) where we literally had nearly 40" of snow in about 18 hours. It came on a weekend and by Monday the city was cleaned up and the schools were open. Good luck with that in DC!

Posted by: cmlars | February 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Snowmageddon is the official name!

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ferguson13 | February 6, 2010 10:26 AM

From NWS/Sterling...

DC/Baltimore record snowfalls - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Historic_Events/snohist.htm

Virginia historic winter weather extremes - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/Historic_Events/va-winters.htm

Maryland historic winter weather extremes - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Historic_Events/md-winter.html

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | February 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted here and elsewhere - the records for DC and Baltimore:

Here are the top 10 snowstorms on record for Washington, D.C.:

1. January 27-28, 1922 ... 28 inches
2. February 11-13, 1899 ... 20.5 inches
3. February 18-19, 1979 ... 18.7 inches
4. January 6-8, 1996 ... 17.1 inches
5. February 15-18, 2003 ... 16.7 inches
6. February 11-12, 1983 ...16.6 inches
7. December 19-20, 2009 ... 16.4 inches (Snowpocalypse)
8. February 15-16, 1958 ... 14.4 inches
9. February 7, 1936 ... 14.4 inches
10. February 16-18, 1900 ... 14.3 inches

Here are the top 10 snowstorms on record for Baltimore MD:

1 28.2 inches Feb 15-18 2003
2 26.5 inches Jan 27-29 1922
3 22.8 inches Feb 11 1983
4 22.5 inches Jan 7-8 1996
5 22.0 inches Mar 29-30 1942
6 21.4 inches Feb 11-14 1899
7 21.0 inches Dec 19 2009 (Snowpocalypse)
8 20.0 inches Feb 18-19 1979
9 16.0 inches Mar 15-18 1892
10 15.5 inches Feb 5 1958

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Woof. Uncle, already. Currently snowing heavily with avg. of 19.5 inches in Laytonsville, MD. Lots of drifting. Driveway snowbank over 5 feet tall and more to go. Haven't made it all the way to the road since last night around midnight... over a foot of new snow on that area of the driveway.

IF YOU HAVE ELECTRIC HEAT, DIG OUT YOUR HEAT PUMPS (Air conditioner unit on outside of house)

Posted by: dprats21 | February 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I believe everthing will be shut down on Monday. Schools will be closed until Wednesday, with liberal leave until Tuesday for the Fed Government.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

22.5" in Bethesda. Moderate snow falling.

Posted by: YanksRule1 | February 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Copious snow with small flakes falling in Adams Morgan, we are approaching 20" here.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

As of 10:20 am in Silver Spring (Hillandale area), about 19-22". Generally 19" on warmer surfaces from yestreday. Around 21" on grassy areas and places that had existing snows. Total snow depth of 25-26".

Posted by: crazer | February 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

A blizzard has a strict definition. So is this a really a Blizzard or a severe snowstorm?

Posted by: mmad2 | February 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Loud CRAAAACCCKKKKK! heard throughout the neighborhood. It was part of the tree next to my house. Missed the house and there were no power lines nearby. Luck was with us. Now at 22" @ Arlington/East Falls Church.

Thinking I need to change my screen name to BikingMostoftheTime. Did ride yesterday morning but don't think I'll be on the bike for a few days.

Posted by: AlwaysBiking | February 6, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I admit, I thought bust when I looked out the window this morning because I just didn't see 10-15" from when I went to bed to when I woke up, but the snow has compacted much more than the last storm and it didn't start accumulating on the pavement surfaces for a number of hours. Having said that, we have at least 18" on our driveway out hear near Wolf Trap and the grassy areas all have between 2 and 3 feet, though some of that is due to the blowing and previous snowfall.

It is REALLY coming down right now.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Somewhere in the 24-27 range here in Darnestown so far, hard to say. Now measuring with a tape measure. Snow has really picked up again. DCA measurement is completely out of touch and way too low...

Posted by: megster671 | February 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Here is the scene at 17th and R right now: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vxsarin/4335061034/

Posted by: PaulFrederiksen | February 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

One more...

Washington area historic winter weather extremes - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/Historic_Events/DC-Winters.htm

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | February 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

How much snow are we looking to get on Tuesday/Wednesday???

Posted by: kylef1 | February 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

It is absolutely pouring down snow right now, this is just nuts! Tried to walk out to my car to clean it off a bit, couldn't get through the drifts that were over my knee.

Added some photos to my Snowmageddon set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vcheeseman/sets/72157623361199912/

Posted by: ana_b | February 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

DCA at 14.4 .. running a good 5"+ behind a good part of NW DC it seems. I will say DCA was running above freezing for a good while as things were accumulating well at or below freezing with some elevation, but that's a rough location for snow (or using a ruler correctly) for sure.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

No real way of measuring here in downtown Frederick, but it definitely looks like more snow than we saw in December.

The flakes at 7am were fine and small, like glitter. When I got up for good at 9am, the flakes were a bit bigger, but still coming down moderate-to-heavy. Now that the wind's picked up, there's a lot of swirling and blowing. Visibility has definitely dropped significantly.

Just finished my breakfast of cheese biscuits and hash browns. Looking forward to a day of watching the snow!

Posted by: dettiot | February 6, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The Dupont Hotel is making a snow bar (literally- sculpting a bar out of snow) on the sidewalk, where they will sell hot mulled wine, spirits, beer, etc.. There is supposed to be a mass snowball fight in Dupont Circle at 2, which is right in front of the hotel. People are gathering to play. If metro was running, I'd be there :( Off to take a walk. Please send out the dogs if you don't hear back.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 6, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

this is quite a bit of snow. Why is my sump pump going? Isn't supposed to be frozen?
Going out to dig out my heat pump.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

West Springfield is up to 17" as of 9:00am
(haven't been out recently)

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that there are 2 listings for Crofton on the NWS accumulation list - one is NNE and one is S. They differ quite a bit - how do I find out the exact locations for these measurements. I think I am closer to the higher measurement!

Posted by: nolagirl67 | February 6, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Nearly 2ft here in Chevy Chase in upper NW DC snowing at 1-2 inch per hour now.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Did I actually really say yesterday I was worried because the snow wasn't sticking and it was too warm??

CWG and others, thanks for setting us near-naysayers straight.

Ventured out this morning. Easily 18-20" in Woodbridge, and still coming down hard. This snow weighs a ton--a real b**ch to shovel. Someone in my neighborhood who drives a sedan was actually trying to dig out this morning and get somewhere. If you aren't a doctor, nurse, first responder or snowplow operator, PLEASE STAY OFF THE ROADS.

Just glad the power is on and the internet is up.

Posted by: teezee210 | February 6, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

There's somewhere in the neighborhood of 14-16" on the ground on the Hill, and a bit more on surfaces off the ground (chairs in the backyard have at least two feet piled up), about what we got for the December storm. It definitely slowed down overnight, though (since 2:30, when I went to sleep, anyway).

It's starting to get hectic again with that big yellow band swinging around over the District, though - the snow is drier, fluffier, and blowier now, so I'm willing to bet mega-accumulations are on the way for the next few hours. I'm beginning to rethink the plans for going to the Mall snowball fight, depending on how long this lasts. Also, it's so much cozier watching the snow through my window. :-)

Posted by: k1avg | February 6, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

22.5 inches in McLean and seriously coming down. I wouldn't be surprised if we get close to 30 by the time this is over with. Shoveling is becoming a nightmare - my snowbanks are well over five and a half feet high.

Posted by: HokieTerp | February 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

WTOP reporting roof collapses: a hanger Dulles Airport, warehouse in California MD, and at a DC home (no serious injuries). If you can do it safely, try to remove snow from your roof. 250 gallons of water is one ton.

Posted by: BaracksTeleprompter | February 6, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The 1327Z surface chart (on the weather wall) shows 988 Mb for both the surface low on the coast and the one west of the mountains. Is the western low forecast to fill while the coastal low strengthens, as usually happens?

Am I correct in assuming that having two strong lows is increasing the area getting heavy snow? How about the amount of snow?

Posted by: weatherjack | February 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Downtown Annapolis, 19" at 11am Saturday.

Posted by: annapyr | February 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD - When it comes to shoveling - it isn't the snow falling from the sky that necessarily does you in - it's the snow blowing around and falling from the trees. Up to 4" has re-accumulated since I shoveled at 9am.

Posted by: Vingold | February 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

HPC storm overview with a lot of snowfall reports from the entire storm. LOTS of 20+ inch readings in Maryland:

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

It is really, really coming down in North Arlington. Simply cannot get a depth reading - far too much drifting and blowing snow. But I have NEVER seen white out conditions in this area. I'm looking at them now. While we got less than expected out of the Friday total accumulation, I think today's accumulation may exceed its billing.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | February 6, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Where is the petition to rid National of its official snowfall tallying status? I guess the rest of the world will just think we got 13.1 inches from this storm...no biggie!

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Plow has made a pass in my street in Falls Church...left a 5 ft high chunk at the end of the driveway....

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Back deck measurement: 16 inches on the chair closest to the house; 23 inches in the middle of the deck. The former is probably too close to the house to be accurate, while the latter includes maybe 2 or 3 inches of pre-storm snow. I'll go with 18-20 inches as of 11 am. Southeastern Silver Spring.

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Guessing we're pushing 20" near Eisenhower Metro. Coming down at a fairly good clip, and I don't think that heavy band has even reached us yet.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 6, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Im a newbie and know Im looking ahead... but I was wondering if anyone knows what Tuesday/Wednesday is looking like. What, if any, accumulation could we expect? Or is it to early to tell?

Posted by: kylef1 | February 6, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

BadMommy1

I know what you mean about trying to measure.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Centreville VA.
Snowmageddon has engulfed most of the compact cars in our parking lot. The snow has been coming down with barely any lull since before dawn. Visibility way down with blowing snow.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@query123 - We'll update it tomorrow after all is said and done, unless we hear any updates until then.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

18" as of 10:30AM in St Margarets(between Annapolis and the Bay Bridge), but tough to measure because of the wind moving it around.

Still very windy with heavy snow falling, near whiteout. Snow/wind now coming from the North/Northwest.

Several sailboats on Mill Creek are listing noticably due to the weight of the snow. Heavy accumulation on the tree limbs but still have power. I bought a new generator Thursday, so I expect the power to stay on. Had I not bought the generator...

Posted by: deusxmach | February 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Centreville/Clifton, VA: We got 10 to 12 inches of snow down between 10:00 last night and 11:00 this morning, measured in several spots. I also measured several spots in the yard and we have 23 inches on the ground, but that includes a little snow left over from earlier in the week. So, putting all my measurements together, my best guess is 21 inches of snow so far from this storm. And it's still coming down hard!

Posted by: misskaren1 | February 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Just measured 20.5 inches of snow on my deck here in the Camp Springs area. Snow still falling at a moderate clip. Temperature at 29F with a light wind out of the NE, but occasional gusts. The scenary is absolutely breathtaking!! Appears we are still in for at least another 5-6 hours of light to moderate snow.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@paul frederiksen -- where on 17th and r is that? it looks like you're deep in the woods with all those trees! i don't see any buildings.

Posted by: tsqnova | February 6, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

19" and heavy snow in South Springfield

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 6, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I had to throw snowballs at my DirecTV dish to shake off the snow....signal restored! Woohoo!!

Posted by: GMorg11 | February 6, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Just a hunch, but I wonder if the official measurements at BWI & IAD are taken by men, while the DCA is measured by a woman? Because... well, men & women seem to perceive # of inches differently (*cough cough*)

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

19 inches plus in 22207 (north Arlington--near Chain Bridge). Power out for two hours this early morning. It looks like it will take at least two days to get the roads clear. Four Capitol domes? Pretty please???

Posted by: Paladin7b | February 6, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

DCA at 14.4 inches at 1100?????? Unbelievable!! This site as an official weather site for the NWS absolutely has to be moved to a more suitable location to give a more accurate assessment of its area of coverage. That measurement does not come close to providing accurate information for the record, it's misleading.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

27" in Vienna and we are currently seeing some of the heaviest snow of the day. Best. Winter. Ever.

Posted by: barn | February 6, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

21", 13th and K Streets SE in DC, about 10 minutes ago. This was measured from street level (as in where I dug out below the sidewalk/curb to get to the asphalt) to the top of the undisturbed snow. The snow is coming down at a nice clip. It's like the December storm snow, not the wet, heavy stuff last night.

Posted by: mensan98th | February 6, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

i don't know what is going on at DCA. there must be a snow-hater in charge of the measurements there. it's always significantly and consistently lower than the rest of the metro area.

petition to move the official tally to the naval observatory, anyone, anyone?

Posted by: tsqnova | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

From DDOT: Residents are reminded to phone 311 to report any downed trees...Residents are reminded to not approach or touch downed lines and to report any incidents immediately. Call 911 for any live wires or Pepco's emergency number at 1-877-PEPCO-62 (1-877-737-2662).

Also, please continuing sharing your tips for homeowners (sump pumps, clearing rooftops and branches, etc.). From my window in NW DC, this wet snow is looking very heavy on rooftops and trees.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Especially for a snow loving meteorologist, there's nothing more exciting and enjoyable (except for grand kids) than the experience of a historic snowstorm.

Not far behind is the opportunity to analyze, diagnose, and investigate the science aspects of the how's this all came to be and, especially, why this storm, unlike many more, was confidentially predictable at least 5 days in advance.

No doubt this storm will be the subjects of many graduate student theses and professional journal articles. Several of the most prominent meteorologists, including the current Director of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP, earned their credentials on investigations of the President Day's snowstorm of 1979.

I hope to provide a lay person's version of a post analysis for CWG in the near future (which will be the basis of a chapter in the book I'm currently writing)

WHOOEEE !!

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Ok, here's my report for Falls Church:

Went outside to shovel at about 10 AM and the snow is ridiculously heavy. Cleaned off our stairs and maybe 4 to 5 feet of our sidewalk and then gave up. It's too heavy and snowing to hard to continue. Measured about 4 to 5 different spots and it averaged out to 20 inches. Of course there was about 2 inches or so of snow already on the ground from the last storm, and there has been some blowing and drifting, but the snow has also compacted a bit. I think 20 inches is a good estimate. Of course, that was an hour ago and since then it has been snowing almost as hard as it has been at any point during this storm!

Posted by: UpstateSnow | February 6, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So, DCA says they only got 1.3 inches between 7 and 11? That's humorous.

Posted by: wayuptown | February 6, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Just saw an Oriole on my outside patio!!! Neighbors are shoveling and snow-blowing my driveway and walkways. Snow is above their knees.

Posted by: pmknp | February 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@ Steve T - Can you also teach DCA how to use a ruler?

Posted by: parksndc | February 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The DCA measurement is a pretty accurate representation of what i found on my front walk. A lot of snow, but less than the December storm. That was several hours ago and i've gotten another couple of inches since then...

Posted by: stantonpark | February 6, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

i'm from Rockville, which reported 24.5" an hour ago. too bad i'm in college, in UPSTATE NEW YORK, looking at grass!

Posted by: macronbase | February 6, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'll try to answer the sump pump question from earlier: The ground is soaked from all the moisture we've had and that probably is what is seeping toward your sump pump.

Now could someone answer my heating question: Does gas heat stay on if you lose power? I know our a/c goes out when we lose power in the summer.

Posted by: DCinVA | February 6, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

~ 11.5 inches of stuff with moderate snow in C-ville.

Posted by: cleombrota | February 6, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Just went out adventuring around Derwood. The main streets were recently paved so they are actually in good shape (relatively speaking). We trudged through an open field behind our house and had consistent measurements of 25-26", and it did not appear to be influenced by drifting. The drifts were upwards of 30". Still haven't put that yard stick in and watched it completely disappear yet... but there's still time!

Posted by: mo26 | February 6, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

There has been a truck with a plow attachment trying to do something about my apartment parking lot. It failed. It looks like right now it's trying reeeeaaally hard just to escape and give up, but keeps getting stuck.

Posted by: megamuphen | February 6, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

To DC in VA-

Your furnace won't work. The fan needs elect. to circulate the heat. And some, like mine, have an electronic ignition.

Posted by: pmknp | February 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have any idea on the process involved in getting the official measurement station for DC changed? I mean, there's got to be someone on this message board with an idea. Come on, DCA isn't even in DC!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I've been here for four of the ten all time DC storms. This will be number five.

It is still coming down like mad here in the City of Manassas.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

22" in north bethesda and snowing HARD!

Posted by: tychocand | February 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

we must be at the most intense snow rates right now. I'm used to seeing this only when skiing out west.

Posted by: novajeffc | February 6, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

11:30a update: 21.75" in eastern Warren Co. This exceeds the 21" I measured from the 12/19 snowstorm. Currently 23.4 degrees F and snowing.

Someone posted earlier to shovel around exterior heat pump units. That's good advice.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Current conditions in Burke: 29.8 with heavy wind-blown snow.

It has snowed about 21 inches so far. If you also count the old snow, then we have around 27 inches so far.

KEEP THE SNOW COMING!

Posted by: Yellowboy | February 6, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Question (hopefully not too dumb), but anyone in Arlington know anything about the fleet of snow-ferrying dump trucks?

Since last night, I have watched dozens go up Wilson Blvd into Arlington and then come back full of snow, heading off of Wilson onto 110.

I assume it's getting dumped in the Potomac, but where from? It just seems like such an inefficient snow removal method.

Posted by: annarky | February 6, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the jealous ones over at Gawker and Consumerist are mocking us...

Posted by: Fab5Mama | February 6, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@tippicanoe - I'll just ignore that comment. :)

DCA's reading is often not representative of the rest of the city, as we've all noticed. It's the lowest spot around and right on the Potomac, so it's often a bit warmer. Everywhere I look in NW DC has more than DCA is reporting. Though, accumulations are difficult for all of us to measure with this storm due to how wet and compact it is, and the drifting ... some drifts are feet higher than others!

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

19" in North Springfield @ about 10:30am. I see a nap in my future.

Posted by: CassieLucy | February 6, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I will sign to move the measurement station. Agree that it is misleading and shouldn't accuracy make a difference when it comes to severe weather?

Great coverage and comments CWG and followers!

Posted by: DCcola | February 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Centreville/Clifton area.

Just came from shoveling for the 6th time! Measured 24 inches on the ground and it is snowing now as hard as I've seen it all storm long. A Jeep Wrangler tried to brave the neighborhood roads. Just got stuck as it was plowing snow with not enough clearance.

Going to be a good month for chiropractors.

Posted by: CliftonJohn | February 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand how DCA says they only got 1" in the past four hours. I must've gotten about 6" in the past four hours here in Herndon, VA.

This snow is stickin to the brick front of the townhomes in my subdivision- makin them white and red bricky looking. Looks cool. Snowpocalypse didn't do that...

Posted by: markinva2 | February 6, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yup, snowing very hard in Centreville, that band is really moving through. Easily 20 inches out there since it started in earnest last night. Can't see how it's not that much. My back table is glass, and while an imperfect measure, it's reliable enough - looks like a big wedding cake out there. All in all, just a lot of darn snow. An absurd amount, really.

So, I've been here for '79, '83, '96, '03, '09 (well, okay, I was in South America, but still...my car was here!), and now '10. Dang.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@always biking.

I hear what you're saying. But when I was at Rosslyn Starbucks this AM one of the guys there was out and about on his bike. And last night about 7 I saw two 4H busses one behind the other. The first had no passengers. The other had one passenger, and a bike on the rack in front of the bus. Who would have guessed?

Posted by: marathoner | February 6, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just spent an inordinate amount of time digging out. Easily approaching 30 inches in columbia and still coming down heavy.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just had a very strong wind blow my back door open here in Alex/Ft. Belvoir. I wouldn't know how to measure what we have on the ground with the drifts and wind factor, just suffice to say there's a lot of snow out there !

Posted by: letitsnow | February 6, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@annarky

They were clearing the bus bays in front of Rosslyn metro this morning. They were putting the snow into dump trucks so I think that may be what you saw.

Posted by: marathoner | February 6, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

24+ inches here in Eldersburg. Still moderate to heavy snow. Can we get to 29 inches and break the record for #1 at BWI?

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

sorry to do this to you CWG but tuesday night and wednesday ... looking like some potential. just bat me down if we shouldn't be focused on that yet.

Posted by: novajeffc | February 6, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

And haven't seen or heard plows for quite a long time. Guess they abandoned all hope of keeping it up. Or, shoot, who knows how many gas stations are even open nearby.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Just did some shoveling (in N. Arlington down the hill from Marymount) and measured 20" on the driveway about 25 feet away from the house. Depth seemed pretty uniform.

Snow is wet and quite heavy and it's hard to find a place to put it. Take it slow and do some stretching before you start digging.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 6, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Continuing to use a known consistently biased outlier as the official measurement for a large area is bogus.

Although airports seem to be common choices for 'offical' measurement sites (and there are probably reasons for that), nevertheless the NWS has a lot of data on near-simultaneous multiple sites within a geographic region like DC; it would be rather straightforward to analyze these data for multiple storms of different types going back several years, and either (a) determine the sites that are most representative of the broader region, &/or (b) develop an index based on measures at multiple (say, 2-4) reliably representative sites to obtain a sort of maximum likelihood (or rather, max representative) measure for the region.

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 6, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

That's a pretty deep low still winding up just off the coast...this thing may not be ending real soon?

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 6, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

By far the hardest snow of the storm now coming down in Ballston / Virginia Square - complete whiteout

Posted by: ironmanjt | February 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

CWG --
Were these newly-forming heavy bands coming down from Baltimore anticipated? Do the development of these bands indicate that the snow will be hanging around longer than originally forecasted?

24" in Oakton, VA

Posted by: paige_va | February 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Still coming down very heavy in Arlington near Bailey's XRoads. Not sure about total accumulation, but must be 16" plus.

Posted by: indy474 | February 6, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I've missed it, but is there a reason why the snow can't be measured at the same (or nearby) spot of the famed Knickerbocker storm?

Posted by: sgc4 | February 6, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the heat pump advice - we did dig ours out at about 7:30 this AM. It's not coming on though! Thankfully, our auxillary heat is working, but wondering if anyone has any advice on getting it started? We cleared the area around it as well. Thanks!

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Snow did not affect only America but also Europe. The heat has affected Australia. Does what happens. be a sign that I messed it.
auto second hand

Posted by: padurar2009 | February 6, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I would guess we are approaching 18-19 in lower Huntington. When we ventured out around 9:30 I measured 15.75 in our yard and it's been coming down HARD since then.

Notice the trees behind me? They aren't broken yet but clearly are not supposed to be sagging to the ground. Luckily that's a park/open area.

Posted by: kallieh | February 6, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

23" inches in Berwyn Heights.

Posted by: BH99 | February 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

paige, yes, these bands were expected, remember, we were forecasting another general 6 inches for today. Once this band currently through baltimore and howard counties moves through, we should start to see a general decrease in intensity but snow will still fly into the evening hours.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

20" in Annandale/Merrifield at about 11:30am. Just tried to save our 8' arborvitae trees, which looked a lot more like dwarf palms. They had quite a bit of ice on them in addition to lots of heavy, wet snow, so i wonder if there was some sleet mixed-in last night. Snow still coming down hard.

Posted by: TheBorg | February 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Approaching 20" in Balllston/Arlington. Snowing as hard as ever.

Posted by: jaydreb1 | February 6, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Took a measurement near the house here in Bethesda. It measured 24". Looks like it could even be deeper further away from the house. It looks wonderful. Hopefully the power does not go out!

Posted by: bbinbtown | February 6, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see that crazy "Thundersnow" last night? Lightning flashes that lit up the entire sky in bright green and pink!

I had a branch fall on my car, but lucky for me there was a foot of snow there to cushion the blow.

Craziest weather I have ever seen.

Posted by: mcasady | February 6, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

snow lovers complaining about DCA should remember Logan Airport often way understates Boston's totals as it sits at sea level and is also surrounded by water

could see a National Mall NWS station like they have in Central Park, but really doubt downtown sees much more than DCA

Posted by: TGT11 | February 6, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

23" on my back porch, that's 4.5" since 7am.

Posted by: Fab5Mama | February 6, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax City/GMU: Finished clearing another 17.5 inches from the driveway and sidewalks at 11 AM...that brings us to just over 24" in 24 hours. There's about 16" on the road. Moderate to heavy snowfall, coming down about 1.5"-2" an hour.

Thanks to whoever posted the suggestion to clear the fire hydrant. I hadn't thought of that and have added it to my routine.

Posted by: figgy_va | February 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Almost 30" in Purcellville, VA as measured in four spots in a sheltered back yard. My front door is blocked by a 5' drift. Still coming down quite hard with a steady wind.

Posted by: technomuse | February 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Piling up much faster than they can shovel it away near Eisenhower Metro. Gotta be approaching 20".

The DCA counts seem too low. Might it be a function of greater wind near the river?

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Okay, at noon in Georgetown we've got...heavy snow. 29F. Shoveled last night around midnight and we had about 8" of snow on the ground; at 10 this morning there was no sign of where I'd been with the shovel. We had white-out conditions for several hours overnight.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I measured 24 inches in Montgomery Village ( I live in the East Village section) and we have lost 3-4 large tree limbs in our back yard. Still have power, although cable/internet was out for several hours this morning. I tried to shovel our driveway this morning, worked for 45 minutes and didn't get very far. Will try again later. Time to relax with a mug of tea, a good book and a fire in the fireplace.

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date! All my best to those essential folks who need to be out there in this weather. We have moderate snow here for the last 30 minutes or so. This blog is the best!
Stay safe everyone!

Posted by: soleil2000 | February 6, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The midday guidance still favors the idea of snow-ending around here between 7 and 10pm. However, the snow later this afternoon should taper off considerably to just light snow as Ian notes in his forecast. And on the Tue-Wed storm question, the system still threatens the area with frozen precipitation especially Tue night into Wed morning. Too early for details, but it still looks to be of the weaker/faster variety at this point.

Posted by: MattRogers | February 6, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Back online at a friend's place after power went out this 7 a.m. morning at my house in upper NW. Dan Stillman, CWG's Lead Meteorologist, also lost power. Working on our next update probably to go up around 2 p.m. Epic snowstorm for this region. I'm at a loss for words.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

good news out to the west, we're now as close as Parkersburg, WV for the back edge, big improvement from Kansas City

looks like things are starting to break up west of the mountains

Posted by: TGT11 | February 6, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@kathyb39

Regarding your heat pump. My husband says to check the fuses, circuit breaker and make sure the thermostat is not set to emergency heat.

Posted by: dskinner1 | February 6, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@CWG -- padurar2009 comment at 11:58 AM looks likely to be malicious spam-link.

Coming down hard here in Riverdale Park, MD. I haven't been back outside since 9am, when I measured 19.5 as I shoveled a path to the chicken coop -- new snow, I had shoveled it after the last snow, too.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 6, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Here near Annandale, I shoveled a path to the bird feeder this morning, and measured 18" in an area what was bare grass, and 25" in an area that still had about 2" of snow from the last storm. I figure part of the difference is because the initial snowfall didn't turn to slush there.

Pace yourself when shoveling this stuff. I got more winded shoveling a 30' path than I did shoveling the driveway after the Dec 17th storm.

Posted by: magicdomino | February 6, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Accuweather Professional (Joe Bastardi) is calling for 4-8 inches again Tuesday into Wednesday; blizzard further northeast. Joe has nailed every storm this winter except for one over a week in advance. An impressive record and an impressive winter! BWI is now up to 23.9 inches... #3 on the record list. Can we get to #1 with a couple of heavy bands?!!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Took the girlfriend and dog out for a walk and quick photo session and came out with a few photos that give some reference to the depth of snow out here in Ballston.

Its worth to note that the photo of them was taken in the middle of a field, and is quite possibly the most open piece of real estate in the local area. The depth there is a few inches more than the areas through the city streets, presumably because of the buildings blocking some of the snowfall. I just wish I had a yardstick.

Visibility in Ballston dropping again and likely less than 1/4 mile at 150 ft AGL.

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | February 6, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, Jason, glad that you and Dan were able to find accommodations to keep CWG running. Yeoman's work in the face of such an onslaught!

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

In Capitol Hill NE, I measure about 20 inches of snow and it's still coming down hard. Lots of tree limbs down, and the streets have not been plowed very much. I saw a car stuck in the snow at an interesection on Constitution.

Posted by: WeatherWick | February 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

From the Kingsview Village area of Germantown (Clopper & Great Seneca Hghwy). Measured snow depth at 28.4". Visibility under 1/4 mile in heavy snow. If you live in a garden style multi-family building, please take a moment to clear the snow from the "back door" or anytother fire exit. In case of emergency, you will need to make sure that your fire exit can be opened and not blocked by a snow drift.

Posted by: GTownKingsview | February 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

This storm ALREADY HAS A WIKIPEDIA PAGE!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Storm is officially causing catastrophic pine tree damage...especially to the old large trees. Every couple minutes I hear a new crack.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

accuweather also saying could be some rain in DC Tues-Wed storm, but very clearly believe that will be a big NYC/Boston event, not more than a few inches down here

Posted by: TGT11 | February 6, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Haven't gone out to measure yet in Forest Glen...too busy watching people get stuck on 495 where it crosses over Georgia Avenue.

Currently, a tractor-trailer is going no where, before that someone spent about an hour trying to free their car.

Posted by: OMGPonies | February 6, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Still coming down like crazy in Dupont: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vxsarin/4334492869/

The snow is really hard, and I'm able to walk on top of it.

Posted by: PaulFrederiksen | February 6, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Broken tree branches all over my complex, one just missed my bedroom window by a couple feet. Going to shovel what's fallen since 10:30 last night.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | February 6, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

spgass1 - Great photos, thanks. Wow, visibility looks really low out there.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Philadelphia is getting hammered right now. Since their airport always has totals that rival the surrounding areas, as it should be, they will kill us in totals even if our metro area winds up with more, which it is. I just saw it on TWC. DCA 13.1"! OUTRAGE!!! Please CWG, talk to your friends at NWS and tell them the outrage it causes.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@TGT11

That's true...I should have noted that I'm in Eldersburg, MD which is about an hour north of DC. However, I have a feeling it will be plenty of cold in DC Tuesday/Wednesday with this much snow on the ground. Just not sure the heavier precip will get that much south of I70. Not that anyone in DC wants more snow after this!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if this storm will achieve "perfect snowstorm" status as per the 18-19 Dec criteria? Yes, the temps were above freezing at the beginning, but surely this is more "perfect" than that one?

Posted by: cleombrota | February 6, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Continued heavy blowing snow.
Measurement an hour ago in the one untouched section of parking pavement was 16 inches. That seems low. I estimate 19 or 20 is closer to the actual number. Much, much tougher digging conditions than Dec storm. Plows have made a few passes past our house, so there is only about a foot of snow in the road compared to 2+ everywhere else.
Amazing. Incredible. Awesome. WoW.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

51 degrees and mostly cloudy here, it's really freezing out, I can't believe the weather we're having! /snark

It is actually kinda cold down here, but I can't complain because I don't have 30 inches of snow trapping me in my dorm.

Anybody have any reports from Lake Ridge? 12.5 inches is just not true (picture my head/face moving like Sam Alito when I say that) from the NWS. They've gotta easily have 20 now.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@dlo

even if it is a mix or rain it will be bad. All the storm drains will be blocked. It might be better for us if it is an all snow event.

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 6, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I live within a 10 minute walk of DCA, and we have way more snow than they are reporting, though not as much as some of you. I would guess about 18 inches at this point. DCA's measuring station must almost on the water or something.

Posted by: acoberst1 | February 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

It is still snowing at a good clip here in the City of Manassas. It is also very windy. Of course a plow truck just came back through, which will cause a lot of people to moun having just dug their cars out.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@notdlo1975

I wouldn't worry about rain there man. Maybe more sleet than snow, but it should be too cold for rain Tuesday night; and it may stay north of you in Northern VA...we'll see. NWS needs to do something about DCA reporting. Ridiculous!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@JoeThePhotographer - Wow, glad your dog didn't sink in that field! Great perspective of just how high the snow is.

@PaulFrederiksen - I can't believe that's R St. I'm not too far away. Ok, that convinces me that I need to go outside now!

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

20" in St Margaret's at 12:15, so it is still falling at 1" per hour here since the last 18" measurement at 10:30 AM.

Still windy with near whiteout conditions with visibility less than 1/4 mile down the creek toward Chesapeake Bay.

Posted by: deusxmach | February 6, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

A large tree has fallen our townhouse parking lot in Arlington. Fortunately, it didn't land on anything. Other big trees are bending ominously.

Posted by: jaydreb1 | February 6, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@OMGPonies:

"I understand why trucks might be on the road, but I can't understand why so many cars out here"

Natural selection at work.

ps. i'm right up the road from you in Kensington and it's coming down in buckets right now. We are at 25" surpassing Dec 19 storm easily. Given how wet much of this storm has been, our precip totals (liquid water equivalent) blows Dec 19 out of the water and may be the record as a precipitation event.

Posted by: h0db | February 6, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Lighter snow coming down in Ashburn. Not nearly as heavy as an hour ago. End in sight???

Posted by: skbm1 | February 6, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

24 inches in Manassas and snowing steady. Leaned out the window with a shovel to scrape some off the roof...hope to get it off before it freezes hard. Beautiful trees, not much wind here.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Almost 26 inches here in upper NW DC near Chevy Chase and still moderate to heavy snow. Looks like we will be around 30 inches for the District when all is said and done.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 6, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

just finished round 2 of shoveling, took 3 measurements on the back deck which is protected from most of the blowing and drifting by 2 sides of the house. Average was 24". It is coming down in excess of 2" hour with visibility down to less than 1/8 mile. we are in woodbridge, 1/4 mile from the Potomac River.

Posted by: drmammal | February 6, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

From skeptic to believer: When I woke up this morning in North Arlington, it didn't look too-too bad. Probably 16" at 8:00 am. But the snow has been much harder since then and we're certainly past twenty by now. And as if it matters anyway. Having just shoveled, it is MUCH harder than December's storm. Not even close.

To heck with the folks at DCA. Here's how I know this is a bad storm. We live on one of the steepest hills in Arlington and the kids have already packed it in for a break. And it's only 12:46 pm! When the kids give up, you know it's bad! :)

Posted by: photomat | February 6, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so at 8:30 in NE Montgomery, there was 22" dumped on us overnight, with about another 2-3" since that time.

Easily 24" of snow. Easy.

Pine branches all over my private road, I spent about 30 minutes cutting them up with a chainsaw.

My poor snowblower has overheated. I'm let it cool down and I'll be back at the snow in a bit.

This is unbelievable. Just unbelievable. In terms of the effect of this snow, this is the worst since '96

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 6, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Up in NYC, there apparently is no snow at all and won't be. Earlier this week they were supposed to get a good 12"+ and even yesterday they were saying 3-6". What caused the storm to peter out north of Philly?

Posted by: droopyd | February 6, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow nice band of heavy snow setting up right now in G'town - four inches of new snow since 10 this morning.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

For all those talking about DCA mis-measuring, the number itself is probably correct. It is in-line with other measurements around South Arlington /Alexandria.

Also, from about midnight till when I went to bed around 3am, the snow had changed over to a mix of sleet/snow in old town.

Posted by: OldTownVA1 | February 6, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Flakes have gotten smaller and finer again, and the wind has died down mostly in downtown Frederick. The drifts aren't too bad, but it's impressive to see so much snow in one place.

Hope everyone is holding out okay!

Posted by: dettiot | February 6, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

DCA uo to 15.4 as of 12 noon, so that brings that anemic place up to 42.7 for the year. Only 3.3 shy of tying the all-time record.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

just topped the 30 inch mark in the Montpelier section of Laurel. incredibly difficult snow to shovel. Btw, the Canadian model really explodes this next storm off of the coast, something that the GFS is trending towards. It may occur just far enough north to spare us the worst, but the model trend is troubling.

Posted by: foul_throw | February 6, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Topper just showed the back of the radar and said storm would be ending soon...but you guys are still on with the wrap around snow from the earlier post?

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Just chatted w/my neighbor who was home for the Dec 19 storm, and who was good enough to take care of my cats for 2 days since my sister couldn't make it over. (Thank goodness I left her a set of keys at the last minute - dumb luck, that.) She said this is way, way worse than what we had that weekend. I've seen a few neighbors make an attempt to shovel, but I think I'm just going to wait until it dies down a little later.

Still don't know where we're going to put it all. there is a huge island in the middle of my cul de sac. Guess it will become a mountain by tomorrow.

At least the sun will be out and blinding us all tomorrow while we continue to dig. "the future's so bright, gotta wear shades."

Posted by: bobosnow | February 6, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

And that's 30 in SE Loudoun...

Posted by: DullesARC | February 6, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Relatives in Bethesda have measured 29" in backyard. Most of Mont. Co. is without power, so that means unless you've got radiators (or a fireplace and a boatload of split hardwood) you'll have no heat when this bitter cold air comes in behind the storm.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

a couple things:

wow wow wow.... omg.... it's unbelievably beautiful! but nothing "gossamer" about it: 22 in-your-face inches here.

CWG, (or other expert-types...)
where were measurements being taken for the 1922 and 1899 storms?

the varied measurements we've had reported for this storm make me think "washington" (or any region's) snowfall should really be a composite of say 5 places around the city.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

dskinner1 -thank you to you and your husband for the advice! We did check the thermostat, but hadn't checked the fuses. Checked & they are OK. Looks like we have to wait for the repair man....thank goodness the auxillary is kicking in!
Stay warm, everyone.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Fleeciewool, what do you mean by radiators? Is it feasible to get those going with no electricity? I realize its gas heat but the gas is ignited / controlled via electric thermostat...

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 6, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Hope everyone is remaining safe. Lots of folks without power.
walter-in-fallschurch, I believe measurements for those two storms were taken at 24&M sts NW, in DC.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

finally lost power in the sticks near leesburg
being at the end of a dirt road with only 20 houses means I probably wont be first to get back on

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 6, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@JoeThePhotographer, I think I want to hire you to photograph my dogs. Beautiful pics.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 6, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

whew, sense of relief (j/k) WUSA reporter at Tysons mentions Macy's opens at 1pm and Bloomingdale's at 2pm; thanks for caring for your employees well-being

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | February 6, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

19.5 inches here in Brookland, NE DC, and still coming down.

Posted by: kosumosu | February 6, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Here in the Village of River Hill in Columbia, we have 32.5 inches as of 1 pm. It's almost impossible to walk anywhere since the snow is so deep.

Howard County says they hope all roads will be plowed by Monday or Tuesday night. Based on previous snowstorms, I anticipate it won't be until Tuesday until they get to our cul-de-sac. No one in our neighborhood will be going anywhere unless they hire a private snow plow. Maybe we can all get together to have a neighborhood Super Bowl party tomorrow night.

Posted by: beach57 | February 6, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"600+ gallon propane for generator and heat, at something like 5 gallons per hour it might actually be a close thing!"

5 gallons per *hour*? I have a 25K watt propane generator and it's more like 2 gallons per hour. You must have a 50K watt generator.

I just cleared out all the snow around it so it won't overheat if we need it.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 6, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the northern and western suburbs are in the light stuff now...don't see anymore heavy bands heading into the area.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The news is reporting that the mayor of DC expects businesses to be up and running on Monday morning. Is this a reasonable expectation? For comparison purposes, when did the snow stop falling with the December storm?

Posted by: ali33cal | February 6, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

At least 6 inches in Silver Spring since I shoveled at 9 AM. Also, the wind is whipping around a lot of the snow.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

just got back from a long walk around east baltimore. saw lots of plows, but there is no pavement showing because there appears to be a layer of solid ice under the snow pack. A lot of the drifts where the plows have come through are so solid you can stand on top of them. looks like we're going to be snowed in for a few days. I think we're pushing 30 inches here in east baltimore.

pictures from the walk:

Posted by: bachaney | February 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Still have power in Forest Glen

Posted by: OMGPonies | February 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The secret for clearing snow-covered power lines: squirrels.

One just ran across one of my power lines and cleared it of snow. Thank you, Mr. Squirrel.

Posted by: stuckman | February 6, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

No idea exaclty how much we have here. That said, the accumulation total on the picnic table exceeded the amount accumulated on the rail of the deck, so, we haven't been slighted. I woould love to hear of a toal in the Odenton area, I am guessing 25"+

Posted by: snowlover | February 6, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Kjm1971 - lots of older houses have heat systems that don't require electricity to operate. For example, mine runs off gas, which is ignited by a pilot light in the furnace, and it heats water which then gets sent to radiators throughout the house.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

19-20" in the courtyard here near Eisenhower Metro. Really piled up the last few hours, and it's still going pretty strong.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

ali33cal, DC is doing a much better job removing snow during this storm, than December. And this storm will end several hours earlier than December's storm (both ended Saturday night). Perhaps Monday afternoon is reasonable to expect semi-normal operations for major business/government operations?

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Snow level in the courtyard of my condo on Wisconsin Ave just south of Mass Ave is 20" at 1 pm. It didn't start accumulating until it had been snowing for awhile yesterday.

Posted by: bh-dc | February 6, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

There hasn't been a plow along the Glover Park side streets since yesterday afternoon. I live along bus route. I don't see how they can get these streets clear enough by Monday a.m. There isn't anyplace to put the snow. This is as bad as 1979.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Is it true that most of Montgomery County is without power?!

Posted by: finnigar | February 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Kjm1971 - and as to the thermostats, yes, you're right, those use electricity. Even the old ones employ a low-voltage circuit. But in the event of a power outage it is still possible to run your furnace manually as long as you don't use a forced-air system.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we've made the London papers with this one:

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey where's FIREDUDE he must be too embarrassed to come back...he was saying this was a bust last night...wow was he wrong

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 6, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I am very impressed downtown DC folks reporting 20+ inches... and a few spots reporting over 30 inches. I hope all skeptics out there have been converted to realizing this storm was/is as we forecast. The power outages are most unfortunate though. I worry about trees even in downtown DC here. eesh.
JerryFloyd1, I think you're right that there is nowhere else the snow can go when removing it!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

30.5" on the ground in Silver Spring, 26" of it is from this storm.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

BWI at 26.5 inches as of 11:59 am. With additional accumulations since then, this is now the 2nd biggest recorded storm for Baltimore.

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 6, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Has the shepherd checked in? I was wondering if he was ok or if all his ewes were birthing at the same time.

Posted by: tbva | February 6, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

25" in upper NW DC, although drifting makes it difficult to measure. 28" on the ground. Surpasses 12/19 and the Blizzard of 1996 in both total snowfall and snowstorm intensity. Some of the conditions last night around midnight were insane. This morning, heavy snow has continued, without the wind. I did hear some thunder around 9 am. Snow now the lightest it has been in 25 hours. Did not mix with sleet to any appreciable extent.

Posted by: catatonia | February 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

snowedin85 - and do you remember the people who were calling for a "changeover to rain" at 10 last night? The thing is, their comments are preserved for posterity, so they'd better change their handles if they ever want to post again.

Don't think I've said it yet, but congratulations and much respect to the CWG for yet another example of blue-ribbon meteorology. Going out to shovel now; will report back with final totals later on.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Snow rate tapering off in North Arlington -- and the wind picking up. I'd say we're "light" to "moderate" now, where an hour ago was definitely "heavy" to "OMG." I'd say that we've wracked up at least another 2 or 3 inches during the morning.

Quite impressive. We've quit trying to dig until it stops. The snow from Friday was incredibly heavy; last night's snow was much more fluffy. But the blowing snow just makes it completely futile to shovel anymore.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | February 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@finnigar, PEPCO says 18,000 customers in Montgomery County are without power. I live in the Allegheny Power service area, and power is still on here.

Posted by: ZF-MD | February 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Silver Spring: a one minute electricity loss just now.

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

FYI: 250 gallons of water 3 inches deep covers an area of about 11 feet by 12 feet.

So, if you have an 11 foot by 12 foot flat area on your roof, you've got 1 ton of water on your roof.

Posted by: RandC | February 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Topper SHut is going to interview the National aiport observcer now

Posted by: johnnyd2 | February 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Despite what our two airports say, looks like this storm dumped a lot more snow than the December storm, I know it did for me in Vienna.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Camden and others, those of us that live along streets with flat-roofed apt. buildings and trees that still have lots of snow on the branches, and a lot of that snow will be blowing/falling into the street. And of course cars are buried in snow. So this will be a big dig.

One big difference between this and the 1979, 1983, and 1996 is so much wet snow. Those earlier snows were drier (although the snow has been drier for the past 12 hours or so). And there is way more snow where I live than in the December storm. The DCA measurement is beyond ridiculous. I think most of us are now in the two-feet (or more) range.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

24" in my part of Adams morning, still a steady snow with small flakes. The snow is adhering to tree branches and other surfaces with a vengeance, just hope that there will be a relatively even melting rather than a deluge later this week.

Posted by: krosseel | February 6, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks fleeciewool, and shovel carefully!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Snow just starting to back off from all morning's furious inch + per hour pace. Sky has become noticeably brighter.
Neighborhood pine trees look like folded umbrellas under the wet snow load. The slush that accumulated during storm beginning has frozen like a glue to the trees & serves as a perfect platform for monster snow accumulation. Not good. I hope we don't lose our power again like we did last night.
We have worn ourselves out just trying to keep the front steps & sidewalk clear. I won't even talk about the fire hydrant extraction session except to say it was painful.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

It looks like 21 inches so far in Woodstock, VA and it's still snowing.

Posted by: runningpoet | February 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your observations, all! And doing the math on converting snow to water--sounds heavy indeed.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

With BWI getting very close to 28 inches and a few heavy bands still left to come through, this storm should top the all time list. Very impressive! I can't believe DC will be functional by Monday...or even Tuesday. Metro will not be unburied by then; which should mean the FED will close on Monday.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 6, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Measured over 2 feet here in Lake Ridge. Snow still coming down, but less intense. What an amazing storm!!

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Regarding finding somewhere to put the snow...

I remember New York City's special snow trucks: dump trucks with a heated bed and a snow blower up front. The snow blower grabbed the snow and blew it into the heated bed where it melted. When the truck was full of water, the truck drove down to the docks and dumped the snowmelt into the Hudson or East River.

Sounds like DC, Alexandria, and other riverside communities could use them.

Bob Guenther

Posted by: rlguenther | February 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

looks like a decent band is forming in northern MD about to slide down to the SE right down I-270, what do you guys think?

Posted by: mo26 | February 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

let see i think we are geting the 2-3 inch a hour snow here in madison va

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Springfield back deck: 24 inches and still snowing, although not as hard now as it did the past couple of hours. Time to go shovel some more. And more. And more.

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

just heard a loud thud, turned out to be tons of snow falling off a big tree limb onto the ground

Posted by: TGT11 | February 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

26" just west of Tysons...also heard a thud. Turned out to be a tree in my front yard. yikes.

Posted by: Annetastic | February 6, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, a new post is up.

Posted by: Murre | February 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

23 inches in Derwood at 1:45 pm -- snow still coming down. Lots of drifting. Am about to graduate from measuring snow with a quilting ruler to a yardstick.

We had 17.5" in the December storm.

Posted by: rlwasserman | February 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@mo26: I think that band must be working its way through Frederick now, as the flakes have gotten bigger and the snow is coming down much harder than it was just twenty-thirty minutes ago.

Posted by: dettiot | February 6, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

My snow clothes are dried out. Time to get back out there...

No rest for the weary. I will sleep well tonight.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

23" at 3:30 just north of Lorton on top of a hill away from structurs and trees. May have lost a litte due to wind.

Posted by: ASColletti | February 6, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse