The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 8:50 PM ET, 02/ 2/2010

Moderate/heavy snow sweeping over region

By Jason Samenow

* Winter Storm Warning metro area late afternoon & tonight *
* Winter Weather Advisory far southern suburbs (map) *
* Prospects for late-week snow: SLCB | Georgetown snow photos *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic and storm impacts: Local home page *

Snow has overspread the entire region with accumulations ranging from a coating (in town and to the northeast) to just over an inch (southwest of the beltway). Temperatures have dropped sufficiently close to freezing that snow is starting to stick to most surfaces. Moderate to occasionally heavy bands of snow have developed between Route 29 and I-95 from Charlottesville, Va. to Baltimore, Md. These bands will continue advancing to the northeast, pasting the region with about two to three inches of snow between now and midnight. After midnight, we expect the snow to gradually decrease in intensity before ending between 2 and 4 a.m. from southwest to northeast. Total accumulations of 3-4 inches are likely, with some spots (coinciding with the heaviest bands) seeing as much as 5 or 6 inches.

UPDATED: SchoolCast
FedCast capitol-black.jpgcapitol-black.jpgcapitol-gray.jpgcapitol-gray.jpg

How much snow do you have where you live? Leave a comment...

*** Winter Weather Center ***
Closings/Delays | Traffic | Metro | Flights | Amtrak | OPM | Roads: DC/MD/VA
Radar: Latest regional radar shows move-
ment of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.
Temperatures: Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.
View/Submit Photos | Ultimate Overview of Current Conditions: Weather Wall

See Matt Rogers' full forecast through the weekend. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Jason Samenow  | February 2, 2010; 8:50 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow advances through the area this evening
Next: Forecast: Weather takes a break until Friday

Comments

First! About an inch and a half here in the City of Manassas.

Posted by: irish031 | February 2, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

hi guys,
(reposted from end of previous thread....)
i can say for sure i've never been finishing one sculpture as the next snow was starting - as was the case here around 5:00.

global warming is definitely a threat to the arctic grasshopper...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Walter, great job! Love the grasshopper.

Also love the updated fedcast! ;) Snowing moderately here in downtown Silver Spring. Sidewalks are mostly covered, streets look slushy. Radar looks impressive... more on the way.

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | February 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I stuck my head outside and thought the snow was mixing with rain / sleet here in Alexandria. Now I see the radar map confirms this.

Posted by: mmurphy70 | February 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

0z NAM doesn't show as much precip (http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/images/nam_p12_012l.gif). Is that ok since the storm has already started?

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 2, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

radar says the same here downtown, but it's all snow. Really heavy too. Standing in Thomas Circle looking west you can't even see the lights at Scott Circle!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 2, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

There's over 2 inches here in NW DC-the snow plow trucks are already out on my streets-and it's coming down quite heavily.

Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

@mmurphy70

I think the radar is wrong actually, and I highly doubt there is any mixing at this point in the metro area. I was just in Arlington and there was no sign of any mixing and DCA (Reagan) has not reported mixing.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Yes some mixing with the snow is possible tonight since the atmosphere is not as cold as during the last storm. Still we expect accumulations in our 2-4" range for the metro area. See our detailed forecast for more info!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Looking like at least 1.5" of fluffy snow on the ground in Lovettsville so far, and still coming down rapidly.

Posted by: map408 | February 2, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

***SHAME ON THE DULLES GREENWAY***
The snow is great but I have to be very critical of the Private Ownership of the Dulles Greenway who time and time again do a poor job of clearing the snow with contract plowers. Between Ashburn and Leesburg the roads were totally covered and dangerous and all I saw were two small contract plows sitting on the side of the road. The toll costs are close to $5.00 one way. At the price I will push snow by hand. SHAME ON THE SULLES GREENWAY AND TO THE POLITICIANS WHO TURN A BLIND EYE TO THEIR LACKLUSTER SERVICE TO THE PAYING PUBLIC!!!!

Let it snow!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 2, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

mmurphy70 - either way, it's awfully white. :)

32 degrees, definetly a coating on everything including pavement.

Someone in my apt complex just got into his car and drove off... all I gotta say is that I hope he's got a good reason to get where he's going...

Posted by: MKoehl | February 2, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy this Arctic weather while you can...I will be laughing in April or sooner.
I am sick sick sick of my weekends being RUINED.
This type of winter will not be back for several years...I miss the wimping winters of DC past!

Posted by: seasejs | February 2, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

snowing at a good clip here in bethesda. my prediction is 4-5 inches throughout the metro area with 3.2 inches at reagan

Posted by: samdman95 | February 2, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I predict here in NW DC there will be over 4"-closer to 6" before it's all over.

Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 2, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all for the responses. I can definitely say there's been a mix here, and we're not accumulating as much as other nearby spots. Still hoping for as much snow as we can get!

Posted by: mmurphy70 | February 2, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Greetings from college application land! Moderate / heavy snow and 35.0 degrees in Sterling (my thermometer may be running high... it does that in the winter).

The current picture doesn't look overly promising for us to the west, but things are different for DC: check out what's south of you! Think the WSW may not have been necessary for Loudoun, but from the look of things will verify for DC.

@ Walter: I always look forward to your work; looks great! Keep it up!

Posted by: Sterlingva | February 2, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful, puffy snowflakes falling straight down in S. Arlington. No wind or anything. This kind of snow brings back some great memories of winter's past.

Posted by: jojo2008 | February 2, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

This winter we have had the larger storms on the weekend. It seems that is the way it works here, even in summer. A few years ago, it seemed it rained every weekend for weeks on end.

I know I'll enjoy the warm weather more after this type of winter.

Posted by: irish031 | February 2, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Snowing fast & furious here in southwestern Howard Co. I would guess we have about 2 inches on the ground. I am going out on a limb and not packing lunches for the kids..hope it's not a jinx!

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 2, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what is going on with the current DC area radar loop you have posted above? There's a rainbow of colors indicating that maybe warm air is streaming in? Are those false readings?
Steady moderate snow continues in Centreville VA. No change in temp hovering between 32/33. Accumulation of just under an inch so far.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 2, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Radar clearly is trying to get a feel for every inch of air from here to the clouds, so it can sometimes be less than accurate. I'm confident that most if not all of the area is seeing snow.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

NWS update:

Although snow has had a hard time accumulating in the metropolitan areas this evening as ground temperatures have been above freezing...good frontogenetical forcing will yield periods of heavy snow bands across the area. Will have a hard time reaching widespread warning criteria of 5 inches across the metropolitan areas with such low snow ratios but will let winter headlines continue with the aforementioned heavy banding setup and the potential for embedded 5 inches.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow, does the NWS write in english?

Posted by: SWester | February 2, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I just got home to Oakton, VA and the side roads are snow covered with a few slushy spots. It looks like we have over an inch of new snow on the ground. The snow is falling at a moderate clip, not quite heavy yet.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

3.5" in eastern Warren Co. 26.6 and snowing.

Concerning the mix, I think there was a bit of light rain mixing with the snow earlier here around 6:00p... but it has been all snow since. I think the Intellicast radar usually does a pretty good job overall with color coding precip.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 2, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

It started in Germantown at 4 PM (all snow, no mix) and is about 2-1/2" so far, accumulating steadily. I expect we'll reach 5" easily.

Posted by: AlanSmithee1 | February 2, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Latest headline from Henry Margusity (AccuWeather) says:
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:06 PM
We Could be Facing Back- to-Back BIG DADDYS!
Henry says, "STORM LATE THIS WEEK WILL GIVE MANY OVER 6 INCHES OF SNOW WITH PHILLY, BALTIMORE AND DC IN BIG SNOW ZONE. SECOND STORM NEXT WEEK COULD HIT THE SAME AREAS AGAIN WITH MORE HEAVY SNOW...".
He's projected 6+ inches for us this weekend, and again Monday/Tuesday. I know he tends to hype but holy moly!

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 2, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

SWester - I know what you mean... I saw an earlier posting from them specifically with this weekend's storm, and it talked about it becoming a "stemwinder" - that had me scurrying to the dictionary, to find that they meant it would be a powerful storm. Supposed to be a turn-of-the-century word.

Posted by: MKoehl | February 2, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Walter In Falls Church-
love the Arctic insect :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 2, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

heavy sleet here in cville

Posted by: danuva | February 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@MKoehl, I saw that too. If the storm verifies, I'm pushing to call it the "stemwinder" storm of 2010!

Still have moderate snow here in downtown Silver Spring. From my window it looks like 1.5 to maybe 2 inches, but hard to tell. Roads are slushy but not white. Radar still looks promising!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | February 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@kathyb39

I've been trying very hard not to buy into the 30"-40" hype for the storm this weekend.

But if we only get 6" this weekend - I'm gonna be disappointed - big time.

Actually, after all the build up, anything less than 18" this weekend will be a disappointment.

Posted by: Vingold | February 2, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Walter-in-Falls-Church, your grasshopper is stunning!

Posted by: Murre | February 2, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

about 2 inches of snow in bethesda, md. i would say around of inch is old snow though...more to come cwg?

Posted by: jjsoccer1125 | February 2, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@SWester

In the NWS's defense, that message is not aimed at a public audience. Thought I do find your comment quite funny nonetheless :)

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

How great is it (for snow lovers at least), that after years of so many under-performing storms, we don't find ourselves waiting hours on end wondering if the snow is ever going to stick!

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

this winter is truly extraordinary. All the snow events kept on getting more likely and intense leading up to the event, and not a single "bust". It is the opposite of the usual dc winter

Posted by: samdman95 | February 2, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

It is fabulous Dan, fabulous!

Posted by: voltron88x | February 2, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The 00 NAM run, which is the first NAM run go out far enough into the future, is on board with the GREAT SUPER BOWL STORM OF 2010. It has DC with over a foot of snow by 8 AM Saturday. The one caveat is that the rain/snow lines does come awfully close.

Posted by: bdeco | February 2, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Glad you enjoyed it. It was (only partly!) in jest.

Posted by: SWester | February 2, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Heavy precipitation echos on radar are approaching DC from the south. This should be interesting within the next hour or so.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

CHOOCHOO, the Snow train keeps on rolling through!!! (Lol, that's brought to you by my Husky). I just went out walking/running with her, and I couldn't see where I was going, because the flakes were coming down at a heavy rate, and flying into my eyes (She just pulled me the whole way). Some neighbor's two dogs came running out (One is a Husky as well), and all three of them had a blast in the snow. It's coming down fast over here in Reston, VA, as by the time I came back from the walk, our footprints/pawprints were already covered in fresh snow again.

I LOVE this pattern so far, and I can only pray that this weekend we are hit with another whopper. If this patterns holds though at least February, I'll be able to exist through the Summer with a grin on my face (In remembering the great Winter we had).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 2, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

After so many lean winters of little snow, it was bound to equal out. Next up is the summer heat streak. I believe it's been a couple of years since we have had a run of triple digits in the summer.

Having lived in this area since the early 70's I recall summers where we had a few days of trip digit heat.

Posted by: irish031 | February 2, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the ant is deep in his hill with plenty of food. Poor grasshopper.

Posted by: prokaryote | February 2, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Snowing to beat the band in Darnestown now. Two inches and climbing. Plus, Caps win 11th in a row; this is winter the way I dreamed it! Can't wait until this weekend; this set-up is even more obvious than Dec. 19th when I wondered if it was too early in the season. It's like winning the Cup; we get Mulligans for future winters after this week..enjoy!

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 2, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

about 1.5 in max in potomac, md right off the river

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 2, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Just drove along Ritchie Hwy here in Anne Arundel County between Severna Park and Arnold and there was one lane that was slushy and completely snow covered at times. All the side roads, and neighborhoods were snow covered. The wetness of this snow is evident by the wet sound it makes when you drive over it. I prefer the crunch sound of the dry stuff we had on Saturday, but hey I'll take whatever we can get! Currently 32F with moderate snowfall, about 3/4" so far I would say, but I haven't measured yet.

Posted by: arnoldkh | February 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Huge flakes are now falling in Oakton. It's accumulating fast.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Heavy snow; big flakes. No change in temp between 32/33. Accumulation thus far about 1.5 inches.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 2, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Honest question: when does (snow) panic set in around here for wkend.. Tomorrow? Thursday? Friday.. Everything I see points to a potentially crippling storm? As CWG will note, a lot can change. But this could really be the "big" one... Is it possible we could get as much as Dec. 19 (on top of what we already have)?

Posted by: realclear | February 2, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

1 inch on Capitol Hill SE.

Posted by: jamessheehan | February 2, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Just went outside to measure...actually 2.0" here so far. That's why you measure things and don't just eyeball them.

Posted by: arnoldkh | February 2, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a couple inches here in Arlington and still coming down steadily. Side road is covered (and slick, based on watching the cars on it). I'm guessing we'll end up with about 3" here. I hope the main roads are decent tomorrow morning, but I'll hop on my bike a bit early to avoid some traffic regardless. Would be lovely if there was a work-from-home option. Maybe it's getting time for a pugsley!

Posted by: debiguity | February 2, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

33 degrees and dropping in Glover Park with whipped cream draped over tree limbs, car roofs, etc. The surest sign things are getting bad: the D-2 bus has stopped running, at least on the hilly streets where I live.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 2, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

realclear: we'll it's looking to start friday. so I would say that unless there are big changes tonight or tomorrow in the day, the TV mets will start barking big at 11pm tomorrow night. Come Thursday evening, they are in full "STORM MAX COVERAGE 2010". Just my view on it.

Posted by: jpl1019 | February 2, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Lake Ridge. Roads covered completely - however main "treated" roads are a bit snow covered but not too bad.. yet..

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 2, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

FYI - 'I-29' is an interstate that connects KC to Omaha thru the Dakotas to the Canadian border.

US 'Route 29' is the road that connects Gainesville to Charlottesville/Roanoke.

Dumba*s...

Posted by: pkahle | February 2, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@pkahle - you're an idiot.

Posted by: mickb1 | February 2, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

A bit over an inch here in Annapolis, MD....My road is finally snow covered with maybe another 3 hours left until the snow stops. Wondering if AA County Schools will be closed tomorrow. Glad I packed my kids lunch for tomorrow!

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | February 2, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Some nice banding

Posted by: jmc732msstate | February 2, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Fixed the I-29 issue (changed to Rt. 29). Let's stop the name calling... that's grounds for having comments deleted. Thanks.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

CWG: my husband may be driving round trip to Manheim,PA (near Lancaster) on Friday. Any sense of a timeline for snow around here? Thank you for all your hard work!

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 2, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

It's started snowing again in Charlottesville, but the last two hours of sleet has probably cut down on chances of getting 3-6 inches... :(

Posted by: cleombrota | February 2, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Still going good in Darnestown. Off to sleep, can't wait to walk the dog in the silence before sunrise. Love it or hate it - these days are special.

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 2, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Finally - the FIRST "DC Snow" of the season - big wet flakes pasting to everything. You can get a nice idea of snow rates from the visibility - I'd say we're down to a quarter mile in Georgetown. Close to 2". Radar looks good for at least a few more hours of moderate snow - no end by midnight.

Posted by: manatt | February 2, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Just shy of 4 inches on my deck in Crozet...still coming down.

Posted by: crozet | February 2, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

The banding on radar looks to target DC and the nearby suburbs for the next couple of hours. Heavy snow continues to fall in Oakton.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Snow is on the light side in NW - accumulation is mostly untreated surfaces and grassy areas. We'll need a drop off on the temps and a quickening of the snowfall pace to get the roads covered. We had some preliminary road coverage starting around 8 pm but the roads actually look better now than two hours ago. Bring on the banding, wherever it is...

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 2, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Here in eastern Manassas it seems that the temp is slightly above freezing, though I have no thermometer. I still hear dripping sounds off the roof and the snow still seems slushy. Are temps dropping to secure the heaviest precipitation as snow or are we riding the borderline all night?

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 2, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Are you guys kidding me with the Schoolcast? It should be 3.5 apples for the entire metro area, except 0 apples for DCPS.

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | February 2, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm banking on at least a 2 hour delay. Staying up late so I can watch my NY Rangers play on the west coast. I'm pretty confident schools will be closed tomorrow.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 2, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Lady on FOX-5 weather " don't believe all the rumors" I would love to call her and say it's not a rumor when a MET blogs about what a certain model run put's out in terms of potential snowfall for the weekend. Whether she want's to flat out say or not, she's downplaying this weekend!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | February 2, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds that the U. of Maryland-College Park will be closed tomorrow?

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 2, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Continued heavy snow with temps just between 32/33. I've got 2 inches...snow is the super sticky type that outlines every tree branch. It'll be a great photography morning tomorrow with the sun busting out.
Please don't go out tonight unless you have to; roads are slushy & visibility impaired.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 2, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Approx. 2 inches in Columbi and coming down strong.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

manassasmissy: I have 32 degrees at my house which is not too far to your north. Your house is probably just warm enough to melt the snow. If the snow is plastered to your trees, it's freezing outside. If it's dripping and melting off your trees, it's above freezing. I think the temps will hold steady or slightly fall.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Just made it safely home form DC, only to get the Jeep stuck in the driveway after 2 deer jumped in front of me. DH had to get out of bed to get the Jeep out. Needless to say, HE wasn't happy. Oh yeah, 3.5 inches already, and it shows no sign of letting up. Dunno why they haven't already called schools in Fauquier .... they've been out 2 days already for much less!

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 2, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

OK first of all...LOVE the sculptures Walter! Now I have seen everything. I was out on my balcony shooting photos. I turned around to see my 13 yr old cat playing in the snow! It's a first! I'm LOVING this winter. It helps that I can work from home:)

Posted by: SPS1 | February 2, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Snow is artfully and gracefully clingingin fluffy, lacey clumps to my trees like none of the previous winter's storms...here in east Manassas. Thanks for the info Kevin!

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 2, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Herndon - only around 2 inches, and right now going with either mix, or very wet snow. Flakes/clumps are huge, and judging by the dripping sound, it's still above (or close to - depending on the contribution from a poorly insulated attic) freezing here. Unfortunately my thermometer resides elsewhere...

Posted by: fsd50 | February 2, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

4.25" in eastern Warren. May be winding down...

Posted by: spgass1 | February 2, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

31F in Ashburn and the snow is still coming down at a fairly good clip. I haven't measured, but my guesstimate is maybe 2.5" so far.

The trees look especially gorgeous tonight!

Posted by: natsncats | February 2, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Other than the brief name-calling spat, thanks for keeping it civil on the boards tonight. I've seen othe washingtonpost.com boards and this is actually pretty tame :)

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

@Dan -- lol, I concur with you on some of the other boards!

Posted by: natsncats | February 2, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

11:30 pm - Took a ruler and measured a little over 3.5 inches of snow on the ground in N. Silver Spring (Layhill/Bel Pre). Coming down heavily. Saw a fender bender down the road.

Will be interesting to see what the Feds do tomorrow. My guess based on what I see out there is that they close. But then again, with the two other storms on the horizon, they may decide to stay open.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 2, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Right outside Woodley Park and I am measuring a good 4 inches....but in some parts it is even higher

I am curious how the Feds will get everyone to work safely.

I think they will shut down tomorrow

Posted by: Bious | February 2, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Hanz1: I don't think Feds will close - but will grant liberal leave for sure. As long as Metro runs, Feds will be open, but if any Metro bus routes are re-routed due to weather, Feds grant LL.

Posted by: --sg | February 2, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Not sure of the total amount here in my neck of Manassas (Sudley/Sudley Manor), but there is a plow working on my Cul du Sac...and he's scooping up quite a bit. (I think he just plowed my car in!) Plus, it is still snowing quite hard outside.

My folks in Charlottesville were told a rep from VDOT says they have been told to expect 22" this weekend. YIKES!

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 2, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

This storm definitely seems to be over-performing here in Bethesda. Haven't measured it, but there's at least 3 inches on the ground already. It's also incredibly slippery...

Posted by: nlcaldwell | February 2, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

By the way, on a side note...the fastest way to my house is up a hilly street...which when climbing in my car around 9 pm ended up leaving several cars stranded behind me. I almost had to stop and turn around myself and take the long way home. That does not bode well for the morning commute on my end....

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 2, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

so when do you think The Hill will get over their fear of "the boss" and realize we are not prepared like Chi-Town (which I love! my Mom is from there) and understand this area is not always prepared for inclement weather (I will admit I am a wuss being from Richmond.)

It's about time for a snow day.. :)

Posted by: sara5209 | February 2, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

The snow is so gorgeous I turned on my spotlights to admire it. Why are the flakes so sparkly?

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 2, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I just measured 4.25" on my car hood. Everything else was already snow-covered from the last storm. It's snowing quite heavy right now, perhaps the hardest it has come down all night.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Awesome grass hopper, Walter.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 2, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Snowfall totals in the city appear to range widely.. In downtown and inner city, it seems like A LOT of it is melting.. Maybe 1 to 2 inches, and roads are wet. But in Upper Northwest, there is easily 3 to 5 inches and roads are a mess.. Can't help but to think the set up this weekend could be similar??

Posted by: realclear | February 2, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow downtown DC at the Convention Center..a WINTER WONDERLAND. I am thinking that this is going to surpass my 3" estimate for downtown accumulation!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I've decided the government is going to be open. NWS is reporting that the snows will end by 2 am instead of later as initially announced. Gives the snowplows enough time to clear the main roads.

Posted by: Hanz1 | February 3, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Awesome snow here in Friendship Heights (NW DC). Coming down hard and really beautiful.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 3, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

The Feds' status shows OPEN for today, Wednesday. Does anyone know if they might change it by morning? I don't work for the gov't but our company goes by them so here's hoping!

Posted by: GrassHouse | February 3, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

What are the odds that UMCP will be closed tomorrow?

Posted by: spankyman111 | February 3, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Fed Status I've seen change between 4am-5am. They may be waiting for the snow to stop (around 3am)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 3, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Grasshouse: My bet is that Feds will be open but will grant liberal leave. Gov't stays open as long as Metro runs.

Posted by: --sg | February 3, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

spankyman111 - closure could be iffy, but two hour delay isn't out of the question.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 3, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Camden: OPM makes the Fed call around 4am.

Posted by: --sg | February 3, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Still coming down quite strong in Woodley Park

Posted by: Bious | February 3, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Looking out my windows now in Glover Park, the snow flakes ARE THICK, HUGE AND POURING OUT OF THE SKY! I see around 4 1/2 inches on the car roofs-if this rate of snowfall continues for some hours, there will be around 7-8 inches here-it is REALLY coming down thick!

Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 3, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Fed followers: Let me give a shout-out to Ed O'Keefe at The Federal Eye blog, a great place to watch for talk of Fed weather-related closures, http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/

Sign up for The Eye's government closure alerts by text message, and you might even receive notice of closures before OPM posts them.

Posted by: --sg | February 3, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@spankyman111, this snow is so wet and temperatures are so close to freezing that they could probably throw a box of Morton salt on Lot 1 at UMCP and melt the entire thing. And as Lot 1 goes, so goes College Park. Good luck, though, esp. if you have an exam tomorrow a.m.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 3, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I think folk need to apologize for earlier questioning the need for a winter storm warning. I think some areas with a bit of elevation immediately in, or near, the District, could top 6 inches with this storm.

Posted by: realclear | February 3, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Snow coming down at a good clip in Fairfax City. 30.2 degrees and 4 inches accumulated on the sidewalk. It stuck quite rapidly at beginning of the storm even it was about 33 degrees in my backyard.

Posted by: dudster89 | February 3, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

The tree branches outside my windows are so laden with snow, I can no longer see the street, or the street lights-just a thicket of snow covered branches-it's very beautiful, and okay for tonight-but you know I want it gone by tomorrow a.m.-did I hear right? Is there yet ANOTHER winter storm headed our way? I gotta get outta town!

Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 3, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

The final measurement of the night in Oakton, VA -- 5.0" on my car hood. The snow is now moderate, not heavy.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 3, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

It's still coming down moderately heavy here in Glover Park-over 5" thus far-the snow is very icy-and cars on the road do not seem to be having much difficulty-I've seen 3 cars go up a small hill here without any difficulty-the snow is very icy and wet.

Posted by: Spring_Rain | February 3, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Between 5" and 6" with the snow nearly over in Georgetown. Cool thing about the wet snow - if you're under a tree, the sidewalk or ground is bare. Accumulation also very dependent on the surface being measured. Noticed even dark sidewalks that may retain a little more heat from the daylight were slower to accumulate than lighter surfaces.

Posted by: manatt | February 3, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

3.5" at DC Convention Center. Melting already a little, as snow stops--temperature is hovering around 33F.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 3, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

@cwg - I'm a webmaster for a large community in Loudoun County, I wanted to post statistics about the snow totals for our county this year and the past few years, do you know where I can get those statistics?

Posted by: ThinkGreen | February 3, 2010 4:58 AM | Report abuse

@ThinkGreen , if you get this, shoot us an email at our weathergang address. I should be able to help you out.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 3, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

5 inches of snow in Vienna this am. Kids in Fairfax Cty are going to have to start making up school due to snow days, and with a big storm on tap for the weekend, next Monday is starting to loom as a snow day as well.

Posted by: BidsKids | February 3, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse