The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 02/12/2010

PM Update: Break in the action continues

By Ian Livingston

Mostly quiet through Sun. before snow chance Mon.

* Monday snow? Detailed look | Watch out for ice dams *
* Snowbound in suburbs | Wind chill factor | Mid-Atlantic snow stats *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

For many, the first -- and last -- work day of the week was pretty pleasant all things considered, assuming you weren't stuck in traffic or on the Metro for longer than a few hours. Our giant snowpack is still slowly melting thanks to chilly but above-freezing temperatures, which topped out between the mid-30s and around 40. Could we see more snow before the holiday weekend is out?

Clouds: Latest mid-Atlantic infrared satellite loop, courtesy Unisys. Click here to expand. Refresh page to update. See more maps on our Weather Wall

Through tonight: Clouds increase during the evening and overnight to mostly cloudy. While I can't rule out a stray flurry or snow shower somewhere, especially south of the area, I don't expect much more than cloudy skies as a storm passes well south of us. Lows should drop to the upper teens in the coldest places to the mid-20s downtown.

Tomorrow (Saturday): Clouds, and potentially a snowflake or two, should be on their way out as the morning progresses as we head toward partly cloudy skies for the afternoon. It should be just a tad cooler tomorrow, with highs mainly in the mid-30s. Northeast winds around 10-15 mph will add a chill to the air.

Snow on President's Day? See Camden Walker's full forecast through early next week. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

By Ian Livingston  | February 12, 2010; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Amazing mid-Atlantic snow statistics
Next: Politician sounds off on D.C. region & snow

Comments

all is quiet in blog land :)

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 12, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It is amazing how steep the drop-off in average comments per article is following a major weather event around here. During the height of the blizzard, we were regularly breaking 300 comments per post, and the posts were coming out every hour or so...

I suppose this is what happens when people have to go back to "work."

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 12, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think it is time to start hyping the next storm! (not that CWG hypes, but generally, some of us commenters do!)

Posted by: celestun100 | February 12, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

What are the models suggesting for Monday-Tuesday at this point?

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 12, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

It's not fun to post a comment unless you're in the running for "First!"

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | February 12, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yep I find reading and commenting on GWG to be especially fun, but not particularly lucrative...so it's back to work and normalcy - until tomorrow, when we all begin to hype PD III...er...I mean Monday's clipper system.

Posted by: curtmccormick | February 12, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

edwardappleby, models still showing a light to moderate event. There has been some trend toward the latter today I think... but the cap right now would still be around 3-6" (not a forecast) it seems.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I have done the math for total snow for winter of 2009-2010 for NW DC so far accourding to NWS totals at American Univeristy/Chevy Chase DC and there has been roughly 75 inches of snow.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

ajmupitt, I've recorded 70.75" myself in NW DC, though half in Glover Park (pre Jan 30 storm) and everything since in Cleveland Park.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Ian~ so it looks like NW DC is more comparable to Dulles than DCA for snow totals this winter. Just shows how NW DC elevation affects snow totals. In just this past storm there was

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@ Ian

Even though you said "cap"...I'm now thinking 3"-6"...wish-casting again I guess.

Posted by: parksndc | February 12, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Just an interesting fact for to share with everyone, the lowest pressure for the Blizzard on Wed was 969mb which is equivalent to a CAT 2 Hurricane. As a comparison, the 1993 Strom had a pressure of 960 MB, which is a CAT 3.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

ajmupitt, I think in a normal year the "hills" of DC get about 3-5" more than DCA. So, if you consider we have had over 350% of the overall seasonal norm the numbers make sense, though it does seem a bit extreme over such a small distance.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

What is regular pressure?

Posted by: celestun100 | February 12, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

parksndc, "cap" might be misleading. There is a possibility of bigger but you'd need several additional things not yet modeled to happen. Consensus *seems* to br growing that this will be larger than the typical clipper around here.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

The standard pressure is around 29.90 to 30.00 or 1010 to 1020 MB

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Where the sun has a direct hit, the melting is going on with a vengeance.

Have had reports that my neighborhood roads are still challenging. But between phone calls to the insurance company and changing out wet towels, I haven't had time to think about leaving the house today. Having the roof cleared of ice and snow tomorrow and all that junk to "mitigate" any further damage. Then we talk permanent repairs at some point. Can't wait.

A friend's neighbor in Fairfax City has had serious water damage in his walls, and others around her are having other various water issues. Those homes aren't more than 7-8 years old, and built by a really reputable company, so everyone is in shock in that neighborhood.

If we get a dusting to a few inches on Monday, honestly, I just need the next few days after to warm up enough. There are areas where the ice built up that I just can't get to by myself and I really need my roof to dry out!

A friend has a 10 foot icicle that has encased a tv cable alongside her house. But the ice dam is so far up, no one can get to it. It's massive. And I've seen stuff like that all over the place walking around this week. Just crazy.

Oh, and my neighbor's parking space became a swimming pool of melt water today when he only dug out enough of his car to back out, leaving two walls of snow on either side. Nice job.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

It seems that lately the "cap" has ended up being the low range of the reality - I remember when the Tuesday storm was supposed to be a dusting.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 12, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Here are some pics from the historic snowfall around here -- first snowfall in Mobile, AL since 1996 (14 years ago). Nothing compared to what y'all had, but it's still pretty historic seeing how long this area has gone without getting snow.

celestun100: Air pressure? Standard air pressure is measured at sea level, and it's 29.92 inches of Mercury (inHg) or 1013.25 millibars (mb)/hectopascals(hPa) (different units of measure but they're equal to each other).

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 12, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ian. Sounds like the trend continues...it's nice to feel positive about winter forecasts for once.

Posted by: parksndc | February 12, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I think CWG has done a great job forecasting strom and snow potential. Your 6-16 was right on for DC. I think CWG and accuweather.com have done the best job all winter. My top three sources for weather infor are NWS, CWG and Accuweather. The weather channel is terrible. HaHA

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I would agree with CWG that 3-6 is best possible range now for Monday. I think this will be like the Jan 30 and Feb 2 storms.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I actually think this will be similar to Feb 2-3 snow not Jan 30. That storm came through area as a clipper and was enhanced when the upper level energy came through and we all ended up with 3-6. I think this looks like a very similar storm.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 12, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeva

Thanks, yes, that is what I wanted to know.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 12, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like my area, NW Spotys, may be in bulls eye 4 Mons storm. Need 6" 2 get 2 60" 4 the winter.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 12, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, now I know why you're posting Cleveland Park, rather than Glover Park, photos. The photo you took last year of the big oak tree on Stoddert Playground at sunset in the snow is one of my all-time favorites, a view I used to see from a window.

This year, the playground and view are MIA because of Stoddert School construction and temporary trailers for the kids. The upside is the sidewalk along 39th St. is shovelled.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 12, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeva

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I lived in Biloxi until last Sept so it's neat to see snow down there! I heard Gulfport, MS just got a little sleet yesterday and flurries today.

Posted by: js2225 | February 12, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeva- thanks for posting photos. :-)

@js225- small world continues- I spent 4 years in Ocean Springs. Greatly miss Mary Mahoney's and Aunt Jenny's.....

Posted by: aquarnnr | February 12, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA - thanks for the photos from Mobile!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"Tomorrow (Saturday): Clouds, and potentially a snowflake or two..."

I better go clear off some space on the deck so I can measure both of them.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 12, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

3 inches sounds like a strong hour or two now, not really an "event"....snow lovers are totally spoiled.

On another note...there is discussion that the hills of D.C. may impact snow by increasing totals a bit; what about the waterfront? I live in SW DC and see the planes takeoff and land across the river at DCA. How does the water impact snow totals? Or are the low totals there all about being at sea level?

Posted by: DCcola | February 12, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeva, Mobile snow made NBC Nightly News. Thanks for the link to the snowMobile pics. Did you take any at Union Depot at Beauregard and Water Sts?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 12, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@aquarnnr

Definitely a small world. I miss the gulf coast like crazy. I was only there for 2 1/2 years but it totally felt like home by the time I left. I took a quick work trip down there last month and got to spend a little time in Ocean Springs but was very disappointed to find Tato Nut temporarily closed. I didn't make it to Mary Mahony's but did have lunch at Lookout 49 in Gulfport (my favorite place on the coast), tried the recently reopened the Chimney's and got a Paul's King Cake, which I unfortunately left in my hotel room.

Posted by: js2225 | February 12, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

There's a little melting, but it's a slow process...a 55-degree "blowtorch" would only replace our snow issue with a flooding issue.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 12, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

What time on Monday is the snow likely to begin?

Posted by: KBoyd1 | February 12, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow... that snow storm in the south is cutting it a little too close for comfort on its march out of here! I'm thinking southern counties may get a little more than a flurry!

Posted by: bornin1775 | February 12, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, yep.. I moved on the last warm weekend we had (the Monday in the 60s!). I miss GP already, but it's nice to have some new surroundings to take photos of. I remember that shot.. I was bummed when they added all the temporary buildings etc, that tree is great!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

bornin1775, on it's current track it still looks to stay south. A potential period of light snow could get fairly close... perhaps the Fredericksburg area. We're very much on the outer edge of any precipitation hopes and north of DC it could be difficult to get even a flurry. It is interesting to see how much this storm trended north the past few days though. It was initially modeled to head due east off the FL coast before picking up any northward movement.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 12, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

part one of the sculpture is done:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 12, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

@Ian-CWG, who wrote, There is a possibility of bigger but you'd need several additional things not yet modeled to happen. Consensus *seems* to be growing that this will be larger than the typical clipper around here.

Oh Ian, you're such a tease. Just keep whispering sweet nothings in my ears, will ya?

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 12, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Walter -- wow! That is one awesome snow shark!

Posted by: natsncats | February 12, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Those snow sculptures are ridiculously amazing. Bravo!

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 13, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse