The new Washington

Vote for storm name, Twitter hashtag & snow total

By Andrew Freedman

* Winter Storm Warning Friday morning through Saturday evening *
* Odds of 2 double-digit snows in one season? | Snowy photos *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail forecast to a friend *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Despite the jinxing potential, last night we asked for suggestions on a storm name and twitter hashtags, and we received more than 300 suggestions both from comments and from you on Twitter. We've gone through them, and culled a few that were popular and some that we personally liked.

"Snowmageddon" was quite popular for a storm name, and it would also make a good hashtag. "The Great Superbowl Superstorm of 2010" is also popular. I was heartened that reader "SnowTony" altered my Kaiser Soze suggestion to "Kaiser Snowze," and it then garnered several endorsements.

Other noteworthy suggestions included: "#snowbowl", "#snowbliteration," "#CATASTRASNOW," and "#herewegoagain."

Continue reading for more of your thoughts and your chance to vote for names and tags, and how much snow you think will fall.

Creativity points go to reader "manatt" for ""The Great 2010 Less Than 2, 2 to 6, 6 to 12, 12+, Check Back Tomorrow Snowcastrophe," and Rcupps for "SnowmygodimnotshovelinganymoreofthiswhitecrapimmovingtoFLA." Unfortunately, that's too long for a storm name or a hashtag, but it is funny.

Some more thoughts from the tweeters out there:

@TheDoctor08 Alex Snowvechkin. Greatest snowstorm evar!!!!!1!!!11

@bmurray: Scheduled to be snowbliterated in 24 hours

@platinumforests In keeping with the "Snowpocalypse" theme, I say we name this weekend's barn buster 'Snowmageddon'

@quinalty Is this wknd going 2 B #Snowmageddon, #snOMG, #SnowF***Yourself, #KeyserSnowze, or #SnoWTF? Dunno, but it is #snomuch 4 me.

We can't promise we'll adopt the hashtag poll winner, since twitter hashtags tend to have a life of their own, but we'll do our best to do so. Thanks!

By Andrew Freedman  | February 4, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Freedman, Snowmageddon, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Double-digit snows twice in one season: a rarity
Next: Snowmageddon: Snowstorm likely to be historic

Comments

It's a weird feeling to be offering up names for a storm.

Having grown up in Florida, I am so used to storms being named before they even form! I remember when I was younger and used to read the lists of names for upcoming years, and wondering which storms would be the big ones and which names we'd never ever get to (like way down the list, around T).

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 4, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to make the following observation: the fact that this storm was modeled and predicted about a week out is simply amazing. Imagine explaining that capability to someone in, say, the 1800s. Blows the mind.

Anyway, come on Snowpocalypse 2!

Posted by: k9frizb | February 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Snowly Crap!

Posted by: the_local | February 4, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

snone of the above.

SNOBAMA or Olympia Snowe.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | February 4, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm no meteo geek, but I thought the models were predicting this TWO weeks out???? If so, that's even more amazing.

Posted by: eventual_eventer | February 4, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess "Snowpocalypse 2: Electric Boogaloo" is the best one. Which means that next Tuesday will be "Snowpocalypse 3: The Search for Tom Kierein."

Posted by: bs2004 | February 4, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

snork @ bs2004

"Snowpocalypse 2: The Sequel"
"Snowpocalypse 2: Son of Snowpocalypse"
"Snowpocalypse 2:Son of the Mother of all Snowpocalypses"

Posted by: wiredog | February 4, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm partial to "The Big Game Snow" as I'm pretty sure calling it the Super Snow will have an NFL lawyer contacting CWG and issuing a cease and desist order.

Posted by: SamFelis | February 4, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but #snowgasm has already been chosen by The People and no silly vote here is going to change it.

Posted by: CortJstr | February 4, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocalypse II: Revenge of the Fallen

Posted by: justine82 | February 4, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The Snow Shovel Manufacturers' Bailout of 2010

Snowpocalypse II: The Snobliteration
Snowpocalypse II: This Time, It's Personal

Posted by: PaLun | February 4, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I calling it the...

SNOWPERBOWL WEEKEND STORM!!!!!

Posted by: santanaf | February 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Spawn of Snowpocolypse"

Posted by: TCintheCity | February 4, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

A non-humorous question: How are "precipitation" totals determined in the winter? Does a specific amount of snow automatically equal a specific amount of precipitation or is the snow melted to determine the precipitation amount to allow for differences between light fluffy stuff and heavy wet snow?

Posted by: ramgut | February 4, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Whatever it is, keep it SHORT. Long names hinder postings and re-tweets. I have no trouble using #dcsnow or #snOMG forever.

Posted by: ArlingtonSnowGal | February 4, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

snowgasm '10: You're gonna need a new pair of snow pants!

While I like the idea of snOMGasm, its too awkward to say. Also, whatever the name is, I vote that we suffix it with 'oh ten' a la Steven Colbert's 'Skate Expectations' Olympics series.

Posted by: timdgoff | February 4, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I thought I altered it to Keyser Snowze first, but in any case, even if people vote for Snowpacalypse and Snowmageddon, when referencing storms in the past we always use a word that actually describes the storm so people know what we're talking about... like the President's Day storm, etc. So this storm will be known as the Superbowl Storm whether people like it or not! :)

Posted by: cja- | February 4, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"Snowpolcalypse 2 Feet Again"

Posted by: prokaryote | February 4, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"Super Bowl" is two words, not one. Could we at least spell it correctly? You don't refer to the "Probowl" or the "Rosebowl" or the "Meinekecarcarebowl," so I don't understand why people have so much trouble with "Super Bowl."

Posted by: 1995hoo | February 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

There's a big Caps game on this weekend too and we're not referring to hockey, are we? I hate football, and I hate the network's advertising policies. Keep snow and sports separate--like church and state.

Posted by: chunche | February 4, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

As i've said a few times, while i personally love the alliteration of #snogasm & chuckle at it, in attempts to be family friendly, it pushes it a little too far. Just like Gilbert, I want to do it for the kids and be a good role model.

Posted by: Jamie Jones | February 4, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"The Big Capitol Dump"

Posted by: GD1975 | February 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

bs2004

I like your style, but let's take it a step further:

Snowpocalypse 2: Cumulus Boogaloo

Posted by: bskid | February 4, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Better change your Fedcast! OPM has made it official: Unscheduled Leave for Friday.

Posted by: ginniemae | February 4, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The Exploding Super Snowva

Posted by: Etch | February 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I like the name you are using in your headline "twitter hashtag" -- very current.

Posted by: jjhIII | February 4, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_local | February 4, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I like....Oblizzarrated! But I am a bit biased :)

Posted by: snowlover | February 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Not impressed with any of the five. We need write-in candidates. Manatt's and Rcupp's are HILARIOUS! Don't box in creativity!

Posted by: tinkerbelle | February 4, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

CrystalKnocked?

Posted by: Disambiguation | February 4, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

How about the hyper-alarmist:

There'snoTomorrow

#theresnotomorrow

Posted by: ianschuler | February 4, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The Super-Size McFlurry

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The Great Stormulus

Posted by: RdRunnerxx | February 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocalypse 2: The Revenge!!

Posted by: TheBorg | February 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree tinkerbelle, there were FAR more creative and funny choices last night.

Posted by: chunche | February 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

A friend gave me this one:

SNOMFG

Posted by: buckeye96 | February 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Snowden Lay Dying in Back"

Posted by: robertdestloup | February 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

sNOOOOOOOO!!!!

Posted by: smmui05 | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Snovechkin and Snowf***yourself totally win in my book... But that's just me...

Posted by: BaltimoreBerserk | February 4, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Anne Arundel county, MD schools just annoced 2 hour early dismissal for tomorrow.

Posted by: add1212 | February 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

How about SuperSnowVa?

Posted by: Paladin7b | February 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocalpse 2 feet again and ooblizzerated were nice

DEJE VU DUMP 10 edition

Posted by: jmc732msstate | February 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

DC must pay homage to the greatest athlete this city has seen in 2 generations! Snovechkin Rules! Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

My favorite storm name is still "White Sabbath" from one of the other discussion threads. Most of the rest are rehashes from December.

Posted by: gmbo | February 4, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Super Snow MMX.

Posted by: NigelTufnel1 | February 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Come on people... #snowmageddon is too long of a name on Twitter. #snOMG is short and just as impactful! Let's go snOMG!!!

Posted by: psubuzz | February 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Snowy Hell...enough already!!!!!

Posted by: patisok | February 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I really think it will be associated with the super bowl, so Super Snow is the way to go.

Posted by: watchingweather | February 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

SnoWhat we snowshovled our snowalks during the Snopocalypse...

Posted by: bandfriend | February 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS GONNA BE KA-RAZEEEEEE!!!!

Posted by: DaLord | February 4, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

too obvious?...Snoway.

Posted by: dhb2 | February 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

How about the "Barbra Streisand - Donna Summer Enough is Enough!" snowstorm? Even comes with its own theme song.

Posted by: DCNative59 | February 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocolypse 2.0: The Blizzard of Doom

Posted by: rubytuesday | February 4, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

While I love the Snovechkin name (and I think this storm could lay us low like the namesake can), I'm afraid it's a bit too narrowcasted.

How about Snowapalooza? The #snOMG! tag is great, btw...

Posted by: technomuse | February 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't see my choice for the name of the storm listed in the poll. I vote for, "Guaranteed To Make Certain People Whine About How They Do A Much Better Job Of Plowing In Chicago." If you liked it there in the winter, you're welcome to go back, and the sooner the better. If you're going to live here, we don't do big snowstorms often enough to do them well. Deal with it.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | February 4, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

There was a new CWG Update posted at 3:30pm - it disappeared by 3:40, so if you blinked you missed it. They were raising their map totals (third attempt at a map so far today), playing catch-up to the NWS. Loved the CWG probalistic forecast in earlier comments - chance of 40"? "less than one percent" - haha! Got it covered.

Posted by: manatt | February 4, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Snowtosynthesis

Frost-Bait

Snow WAY OUT!!!

Posted by: WeatherMachine | February 4, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

You know, if newspapers want to continue to be relevant, then they need to disregard the capabilities of technology to reduce everything to 140 characters of banality.

If all the Washington Post can offer is a facility for producing Twitter names, it's time for it to die.

I find the whole SMS/Twitter universe to be an insult to anyone with an IQ over 100.

Guess I won't be reading this blog any more.

Posted by: deemery | February 4, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

SNOW DAT???

Posted by: kmill67 | February 4, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

#snoverit or #snoverload?

Posted by: MasonPatriot1 | February 4, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"LET'S GO CAPS! I live in Baltimore, have 2 wheel drive and tickets to both Caps games... Right now Snowf***yourself is winning by a WIIIIIIIIIIDE margin!"

I'm ready to walk the two to three miles to the Metro on Sunday morning if needed, assuming the trains are running, but I kind of half-hope the Opponents Who Must Not Be Named are unable to fly in so that the game gets postponed to Monday night. I'm a bit concerned about travel home from tomorrow night's game, but I certainly plan to be there either way!

As far as "Snowf***yourself" goes, perhaps the Rolling Stones can then record the storm's official theme song, "Snow Snow." Look up their song "Star Star" if you don't get the reference.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: 1995hoo | February 4, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocalypse II: Revenge of the Fallen

Teehee

Posted by: stearlgirl | February 4, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

yes i want to be say i was there for the winter of snowpocalypse and snowmaggeden!

Posted by: dummypants | February 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Kaiser Snowze! Seriously folks, can't you see how derivative Snowmageddon is of Snowpocalypse? Think outside the box, people! Oh and The Superbowl Snowstorm? Really? Come ON people!

Posted by: freckleface | February 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should remember that the original Super Bowl Super Storm was in late January 1987, when we were buried beneath a 20-inch snowfall while DC mayor Marion Berry enjoyed a 6-day vacation attending the game in sunny Pasadena. Since it's all happening again, maybe this one should be the Groundhog Week Re-blizzard?

Posted by: seismic-2 | February 4, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Since "DMV storm of MMX over Super Bowl XLIV weekend" is too long, how 'bout "Super Snowl Weekend Storm"?
Then if the Colts win: The Colts '44 Storm of 2010
If the Saints win: The Saints Preserve Us storm of 2010.
One final suggestion:
"The 10-20 incher of 2010".

Posted by: NickDastardly | February 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

SnOvechkin the Great 8(teen) Inches of White Fury Unleashed

Posted by: tsbrul1 | February 4, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax just closed schools for tomorrow. :-)

Posted by: readerl | February 4, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

A Serious Snow

Posted by: calhern | February 4, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Snobiden

Posted by: calhern | February 4, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Inches

Posted by: calhern | February 4, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Snowthyself

Posted by: calhern | February 4, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Snozilla

Posted by: ksamvienna | February 4, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Snowdos

Posted by: ksamvienna | February 4, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Just call it normal Nebraska Weather. None of that is out of the normal out here.

Posted by: OldCoot1 | February 4, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember the Blizzard of '66. It was huge! Washington closed down for a week. People became stranded on the Beltway and actually died of exposure.
The heavy snow blew into massive drifts, and us kids made tunnels, connecting to igloos. And six-lane highways were slowly dug out to two lanes, with cars on the side saddled five feet above the ground.
Though I didn't see it mentioned, my vote for the incoming storm--pending verification--is the Blizzard of 2010.

Posted by: mtpeaks | February 4, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Another "Shovel-Ready Project".

Posted by: navajosnow | February 4, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

An accumulation situation hit capital of nation.

Posted by: caraschenkel | February 4, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Gotta add ovie to the name.

Snopocalypse II: Snovechkin's Revenge

Tagline: "This time not even the penguins are safe."

LET'S GO CAPS

Posted by: bullshooter | February 4, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

No Norse scholars among this group? Surely this storm is part of Fimbulvetr, the prelude to Ragnarök.

Posted by: ViennaMike | February 4, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Global Storming

Posted by: shanmu | February 4, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Snowpocolypse: The Yellow Snow Strikes Back

Posted by: jg10 | February 4, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

SnoBama
SnoBama
SnoBama
I am waiting with my food and wine.
Come and get us!

Posted by: joliedaisy24 | February 4, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I think you guys should make your next questions/votes be about the best games to play & other things to do when cooped up by the storm (when not watching the Super Bowl) and the worst things about the storm. Not to mention: Did you really need all that food you stood in line to buy at the grocery store on Thursday?

Posted by: canzo | February 4, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

The Big '10 Snow
(pronounced: "The Big One!-- Oh, Snow!")

Posted by: jfnbl | February 5, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

@joliedaisy24 - maybe SnowBombA ?

Posted by: msienkiewicz | February 5, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Snowmageddon, Snowpocalypse (in all of its forms) and snOMG have been trending on Twitter for a long time, at least since the December storm and likely before, in other regions. You can think Twitter is stupid all you want, but it's fun (and it's also gotten me jobs, but that's nothing anyone who will dismiss it wants to hear.) In the context of the Washington Post's coverage and of this storm in particular, though, this "we're voting on a hashtag that other people have already used" fails beyond any of that because it's just not original. It can't just apply to this storm because it's been used before.

Please, as an influential news outlet, at least try to be original. I'm a lifelong Post reader who still gets a paper copy delivered every day. But I'm also a journalist and for the first time? Disappointed. At LEAST throw a DC in there. I just don't get it. So lazy.

Posted by: laurieanne | February 5, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

@Snomageddon was already popular on Twitter before this blog entry was posted. How dare WP writers believe that they have influence over the Twitterverse!

Posted by: bigolpoofter | February 5, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Get your pre-snow food at Eastern Market today! Become our fan on Facebook

Posted by: kevinkova | February 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Obviously this snow storm is God's judgment on D.C. -- Pat Robertson

Posted by: djmolter | February 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey, CW Gang! When you asked this morning what we should name the impending storm via Twitter, I replied #Snowmageddon. You started using it within an hour. Was I the coiner of the tag name?

Twitter - @platinumforests

Just checking if I have bragging rights to my parents. ;)

Posted by: platinumforests | February 5, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse