The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/ 5/2010

Eating our way through 'Snowmageddon'

By Ann Posegate

Wx (Weather) and the City

*** Latest accumulation map, storm timeline and FAQs ***

* Winter Storm Warning Friday morning through Saturday evening *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *
* Stores deluged with customers | Will the storm make history? *

While area grocery stores try to keep up with demand, some items are more popular than others. Photo by CWG's Ann Posegate.

Now that Snowmageddon is here, the question remains: What do we all eat while stuck indoors over the next three days?

While some area residents have flocked to grocery stores to stand in line for yet a third time this week, others are relying on leftovers or dusty cans of non-perishables in the back shelves of their pantries -- that is, if there are any left after this season's storms.

Meanwhile, those who are hoping for area restaurants to stay open on Saturday may have a hard time finding one. Home-bound residents, such as the elderly and disabled, may have an especially tough time this weekend -- a good reminder for all of us to lend a hand during this storm.

Keep reading for some tasty Snowmageddon recipes. And see previous stories in Ann Posegate's "Wx and the City" series.

Capital Weather Gang readers have also been thinking about food over the past week. Consider a few of their comments:

... Is anyone doing some snow-related cooking? I found a recipe for apple-parsnip soup that I am going to let the crock pot have at in a few hours (MKoehl, Jan. 30)

Left my house to walk to the store at 8:15 (no, NOT to get TP and milk, but ingredients for a snowy meal :) ... I am making Ginger, Apple and Carrot soup ... with cheese crisps.(Snowlover2, Jan. 30)

For the 12/19 snow storm I waited to go to the store, thinking I'd out wait the crowds ... it was closed early due to the storm ... I had to spend the day without chocolate. (Snowlover2, Feb. 4)

GROCERY STORES: Around here (Upper MoCo), it is controlled chaos, but the aisles are clogged with extra stock of .... you guessed it, TP & Bread. (dprats21, Feb. 4)

Now, I'm not the greatest cook. But I do enjoy cooking -- and eating -- during winter weather. You may be happy to know that this habit is not just for psychological comfort: Cold temperatures make us more hungry, since our bodies use more energy to stay warm. Take the South Pole, for example. Staff and scientists there consume 3,000 to 6,000 calories each day during winter just to maintain their body weight (most still end up losing 10 to 15 pounds by the end of the season).

Being stuck indoors this weekend does not mean we must under-eat, overeat or eat unhealthily. Here are a few hearty recipes to fall back on. In addition, check out Cooking for the Snowpocalypse -- tips from the All We Can Eat blog after our first two-digit storm earlier this season.

-- Kid-friendly Beef Chili, Vegetarian Chili
-- Kid-friendly Outrageous Oatmeal Cookies, Salted Oatmeal Cookies
-- Minestrone soup
-- Leek and Potato Soup

Find more ideas with Food & Dining's Recipe Finder.

What will you eat this weekend? Feel free to share your recipes, grocery shopping stories and recommendations for restaurants likely to stay open over the weekend, by commenting below.

By Ann Posegate  | February 5, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Posegate, Snowmageddon, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Crippling snowstorm imminent
Next: Snow underway: Some could see 2 feet or more

Comments

We're starting off with some fresh bratwurst and other sausages. Stove cooked, but will still be good!

Posted by: rightsaid | February 5, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Tonight we start out with pizza...salad...and ice cream....Then when our movie party begins we dive into chocolate and popcorn. Tomorrow it is chicken noodle soup.

Posted by: jcmcgrath1969 | February 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I use the Whole Foods recipe page on their website frequently- lots of healthy, delicious, and interesting recipes there. The site is set up in a way that it's easy to navigate and find the type of recipe you are looking for (not just by food, but by vegetarian, low salt, low fat, one pot meal etc.) The nutritional info is included, a feature I really like.The recipes seem well tested, and always turn out right for me. I am sure they would be easy for the novice cook. You can also send your grocery list for the recipe to your cell phone, which I find convenient.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I tend to make chili when the weather gets cold and snowy so will probably make that. Also, am looking forward to having grilled cheese and tomato soup this weekend as I finally remembered to pick up the soup when I did my shopping last week.

Posted by: DublinTraveler | February 5, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

We're all about comfort food this weekend -- baked chicken with mashed potatoes and stuffing tonight; tomorrow night I'm making meat loaf.

Posted by: workingmomva | February 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope we don't get to the topic "WHO to eat?"

Posted by: ihuman | February 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Grilled cheese made with really good cheese. It has gotten me through all of the other snow storms this winter.

Posted by: HenrichA | February 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Great ideas so far (how did I forget about grilled cheese?). Keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

We're making black beans and rice here. I'm starting with dried beans since, well, where do I have to go today? So those are soaking. Also, defrosting some bread dough that was in the freezer. My inlaws are staying with us this weekend, so I expect to just go through most of what's in my freezer and pantry.

Posted by: heatherhazel | February 5, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I live about four blocks from the Quarry House Tavern... so it'll be a 12-minute trudge to scotch, wings, and tater tots all weekend long.

Posted by: random-adam | February 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

For breakfast sausage gravy and biscuits. For lunch grilled cheese and soup.
For dinner - running on the treadmill.

Posted by: JW211 | February 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm planning to go out to the nearest Chinese restaurant at noon and stock up (at lunch prices!) for the weekend.

Posted by: postreader41 | February 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Toilet Paper I can understand; stocking eggs, milk and bread I can barely do so.

Is the entire Metro-DC area planning to survive on French Toast?

There is the optimistic hope that the empty shelves in the grocery store for canned beans and ground beef suggests some decent chili for the Super Bowl.

Count me baffled as to why folks stock in anticipation of a winter storm the fixings for french toast.

Posted by: bcastner | February 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I got to the store early yesterday, so I'm prepared for lots of good home cooking....tomato sauce, lasagna, split pea soup, chicken tortellini soup, etc. But my kids (and husband) mostly are looking forward to the Snow Cream. Basically it's just 1 cup milk or evaporated milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or other extract) and CLEAN fresh snow. Check out this website if you want to know more: http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~smann/IceCream/Snow/sandy.txt

Posted by: DinaMae | February 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

It's going to be 70 here in Phoenix this weekend.

Posted by: mharris3 | February 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Grilled cheese, french onion soup, meatloaf, homemade mac and cheese- all on the menu here.

Plus brownies of course :-)

Posted by: kallieh | February 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Pancakes, bacon, and eggs for breakfast.

Baked chicken for supper. Plenty of snacks on hand as well.

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Matzoh ball soup & potato kugel tonight, banana bread, twice-baked potatoes, roasted chicken tomorrow, possibly mint hot chocolate and homemade peppermint patties.

Mmmm

Posted by: Post43 | February 5, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Here's a list of restaurants and bars inside the beltway that have vowed to stay open during Snowmageddon. If you go out, remember to bundle up and walk instead of driving (which will be treacherous).

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Does CWG also provide estimates of weight accumulation? What should we use? Inches (of waistline)? Pounds?

Gotta go. I have a Costco tub of Nutella to open.

Posted by: MikeinDC2 | February 5, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I like to cook homemade bread and cookies during these storms. Grilled cheese are great. I am making a potato salad (Colombian potato salad) that has carrots, cilantro, grilled tomato and onion. It's really good on saltines.

I like to cook stuff in the oven when it is cold outside, so I actually bought a turkey!! I can't believe I bought a turkey for a snowstorm. I wish I bought more cheese.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Home made chicken pot pie and cheesecake with some hot chococlate on the side. Yum!

Posted by: lmr2 | February 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I made three gallons of vegetable soup last weekend and am still eating it! Then I'll make sweet potato and leek soup.

Posted by: dottie_b | February 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that some grocery stores are out of stuff? Maybe somebody should call that "Splendid Table" show. It's on NPR on Saturdays. People call in and give a list of ingredients and the lady ( a gourmet apparently) will come up with a recipe on the spot.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah- One last thing and then I will stop posting all the time. I also rented 2 Julia Child tapes from the library yesterday.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@celestun: How about posting that recipe for Columbian potato salad? Pretty please? That sounds like the most exciting recipe for potato salad I've ever heard!

Posted by: --sg | February 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

panic panic panic we're all going to die

Posted by: member5 | February 5, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Ahem. My menu:

Friday Supper: Roast chicken with Craisin stuffing, broccoli with lemon pepper.

Saturday Supper: Triple Dare meatloaf (hamburger, veal, pork mix) with mashed Yukon gold potatoes and gravy & green beans.

Superbowl Supper: Homemade chili and cornbread.

Various baked goods: Brownies, valentine sugar cookies, yellow cupcakes.

All the above are GLUTEN FREE!

Posted by: --sg | February 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This is the first time I've been grateful that my husband tends to over-shop for groceries.
Our freezer's full, and we have plenty of pasta, soup, and hot chocolate mix on hand. Oh, and plenty of indoor work to do on the house. Bring it on!

Posted by: EinDC | February 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Crock pot chili (the meal of the weekend, seems), made with actual BEEF instead of the usual turkey since the grocery store was out.

pancakes for breakfast.

brownies.

chips and salsa.

also, for the super bowl, cheesy football, the most delicious cheese ball ever. served with Ritz, of course.

Posted by: dinergirl1 | February 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@ MikeinDC2-
Hilarious!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

My favorite food in a (or after a, in this case) snowstorm story:

My (now) husband and I lived in Richmond during the storm of '96. On I think the fourth day after the storm, the grocery store behind our apartment finally opened. the shelves were empty. we had water crackers with caviar and drank Guinness. Cuz that's what they had. :-)

Posted by: dinergirl1 | February 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of full freezers, here's a tip in case the power goes out: fill a few liter bottles with water and put them in the freezer. If the power goes out, put one or two of the bottles at a time in the refrigerator to keep it cool. Of course, we'll also have plenty of snow and freezing temperatures outside, so coolers will work for frozen items.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, you can find it online. You just type in Columbian potato salad. They have a vinagrette dressing that they use that was way too vinagery for me. I used Miracle Whip instead.

But in general, you first decide do you want a lot of potatoes or are you willing to try the other vegetables mixed in?

OK Here goes:
4 potatoes
2 carrots
1 tomato
1/4 onion
Miracle Whip or Mayonaise w/ one teaspoon of vinegar mixed in
Salt
Pepper
Cilantro (unless you don't like the taste)

-Boil the potatoes and carrots until soft, but not mushy.
-Drain and let them cool off.
-Put one tomato and one piece of onion (like 1/8 to 1/4 piece of onion) on a super hot pan or griddle. Don't add oil, just char it.
-Peel and seed the tomato after you roast it.(I don't always do this step, but I guess you are supposed to)
-Chop the tomato and onion.
Slice and chop the potato and carrot (potato salad size or a little smaller)
-Clean the cilantro by rinsing it like 5 times in a bowl of water. Try to use just the leaves. (Not thick stems).

Put it in a bowl, add the miracle whip or vinagrette. If you use miracle whip, you usually add salt and pepper. Mix it up and eat it.

This recipe would make a small amount.

I am not Colombian so I don't really know how this supposed to taste, but I know that in Mexico they serve a similiar potato salad with carrots and peas.

At first I thought the carrots wouldn't be good, but they are.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I swear I could subsist on hard Stilton cheese, water crackers, and shiraz. A simple but filling diet!

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm from LA so snowstorms don't just freak me out, they make me nostalgic for home. As I do during each storm, I'll be making the famous Hamptons Cafe Turkey Chili. This was a famous casual lunch spot in the heart of Hollywood, frequented by celebrities and studio executives, co-owned by Paul Newman. Known for its wild burger combos and its chili. Here's the recipe: it's lower fat, very LA and delicious.

Posted by: LaLynnie | February 5, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Chili, homemade rye bread (not necessarily at the same meal), maybe something from the freezer to roast. I just found a snickerdoodle recipe, so may be making those too. I'm going to need extra energy to shovel the white stuff. :')

Posted by: magicdomino | February 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@celestun, thank you so much! I appreciate getting your take on it, rather than online; your modifications matter. I'm going to try it after Snowmageddon.

Posted by: --sg | February 5, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@dinergirl1, re: your 12:37pm post - That is incredibly romantic!

Posted by: --sg | February 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

LOL at the person who is cooking a turkey. Love it!

Okay, here's our plan:

Breakfast: pancakes and bacon, coffee with Baileys Irish Creme

Lunch: grilled cheese, tomato soup, hot chocolate

Dinner: Paula Deen's "Courage Chili" recipe, sweet cornbread, red wine

Snacks: sour patch kids, gigantic Hershey bars, Cool Ranch Doritos, wasabi almonds, sunflower seeds.

Activities: reading Agatha Christie novels, watching old episodes of Andy Griffith, petting kitties, putting more wood on the fireplace, watching Jayne Miller interview people on WBAL outside of a liquor store like she did during the December storm.

Yay! Blizzards!

Posted by: chocokitty27 | February 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll be making Coconut Bread and Salted Mini Caramel Cupcakes as sweet treats. Also on the docket? Lemon and Leek chickpeas. I figure if I'm gonna be stuck, I might as well be full.

Posted by: MasonPatriot1 | February 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Beef barley soup in my crockpot. Nom nom nom.

Posted by: gmg22 | February 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

MasonPatriot1
Will you post the coconut bread recipe?

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"Donner, Party of two"...

I usually keep the freezer stocked and only shop on the weekend. Got enough food to last a week. And the Safeway is a 3 minute walk.

Posted by: wiredog | February 5, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

My volunteer event and the date I've been prepping for all week have both been canceled, so I have no choice: I'm going to tackle the tamale recipe I've never had time for until now.

Posted by: csdiego | February 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm having a can of sardines, some Ramen noodles and the last bit of wilted lettuce that was at the bottom of the produce bin.

That's all that was left after the storm crows came through.

Oh well.

Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

We've just enjoyed cheddar-ale soup that my son made (and brought over when we talked him into waiting it out here rather than at the apartment), along with home-made whole wheat soda bread. Plans are for major cooking, including some non-breadmachine bread, and turning a bag of marked-down pears into pear-ginger preserves. (Two of us like to cook, the third just enjoys most of the results.)

Posted by: fsd50 | February 5, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Steady snow here in Reston, VA. The treated roads are still wet, the untreated roads have a covering of slush. Trees and cars are coated with snow.

Posted by: sirkanosugrad | February 5, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@WorfsBabyMama - Looking at the lines and the empty shelves in the grocery store, I was afraid that would happen to some people. I hope you have enough to get by for the next 2-3 days, and that a store or restaurant stays open in your area. Best of luck.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Any idea on how we can actually help the elderly during this storm? I live on Cap Hill and would be willing to help cook for some of my elderly neighbors, but don't know how to contact them.

My wife makes a variety of wonderful soups, and we are willing to share.

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 5, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey MasonPatriot1---can you post the recipe for Lemon & Leek Garbanzo's--Google failed to come up with a recipe! Thanks!

Posted by: bartokmd | February 5, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Ann, but I was really being silly. I'm an avid weather watcher, so I got a feeling earlier this week that I should have a few extra provisions. I am from Florida and know all about "sheltering in place." Plenty of food, water, and candles over here just in case.

I hope everyone is in a safe, warm place tonight. Don't forget to check on your neighbours, bring your pets in and use this opportunity to enjoy some good quality family time and RELAX!

Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@WorfsBabyMama - Phew! How does this storm compare to "sheltering in place" for a Florida hurricane? Would be interesting to hear a comparison.

@yetanotherpassword - Good question. I haven't seen anything official as far as helping the elderly during the storm (other than those whom you know). You might try contacting any elderly apartments or nursing homes nearby to ask if they could use assistance.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

What about a steamy plate of arroz y habichuelas y carne guisada with fried ripped plantains, a piña colada with lots of rum, and for dessert a warm dish of flan with lots of caramel and s shot of brandy...

Posted by: aediazdeleon | February 5, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Beef barley soup here, too, and I just put some oatmeal scones in the oven to go with.

The freezer is full -- and if the power goes out, I'll fish out the cooler and stick it out on the balcony. :)

Posted by: lynnec | February 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Organic chocolate cake just came out of the oven! Soon, it will be topped with homemade organic chocolate icing. We'll enjoy the cake after a dinner of homemade soup, either veggie or black bean along with homemade bread.

Posted by: shadwell1 | February 5, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I doubt most of us are burning anywhere near the calories due to the cold, unless you spend a lot of time outdoors by choice, or you are of those who are less fortunate.

It's kind of sad, thinking that the people who need food the most due to the cold, are the one's who have the least...

Posted by: Rizay | February 5, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Menu for the Snowmeggedon weekend:
Fri - Cassoulet
Sat - Mousakka
Sun - No beans chilli and red beans and rice in honor of the Saints for the SB.
Anything after that will be leftovers or maybe a nice blackbean soup

Posted by: regineaubergine | February 5, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

White bean and cabbage soup tomorrow. Lots of oatmeal with clove and cinnamon for breakfasts.
Puttanesca sauce tonight.
Celery root with buttermilk soup the other evening when it snowed and carrot and ginger soup last weekend.

Posted by: Fabrisse | February 5, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@Rizay - I hear ya. Hopefully those of us who have to shovel will burn some of it off! I've also been wondering how the homeless shelters are handling the weekend, especially with staff having to commute in all of this. I certainly feel lucky to have a stocked kitchen this weekend.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

This weekend's three-day (possibly four-day) menu:

Steak stewed in ale, served with Stilton mashed potatoes

Taco soup, served with green chile cornbread

Potato soup

And for the Super Bowl: Taco Junk (low-fat taco dip), served with tortilla chips, and potato skins

I also have three bottles of wine (two reds and a Riesling), two six-packs of Newcastle, a six-pack of Carlsberg Elephant, and a six-pack of Woodchuck.

Posted by: mensan98th | February 5, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

well, being a Louisiana ex-pat looking forward to my first Super Bowl party that I've ever really cared about, the plan was to do a lot of cooking this weekend anyway. Today we finished the duck and andouille sausage gumbo, tomorrow we're cooking the crawfish etouffée, Sunday morning I'll bake the bread for the muffuletta sandwiches. Pretty sure I bought up the remainder of the Abita beer in town and will also be mixing up sazercas for the game. Who cares if no one who was supposed to be coming for the party can make it. More for me! This is like an elongated hurricane party.

Posted by: boudin | February 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

We started off tonight with my husband's world-famous chicken and andouille jambalaya. Tomorrow we move on to the chili and cornbread portion of the weekend. Alas, our Super Bowl guests canceled on us, but we are still planning on making pigs in a blanket and eating leftover chili.

Posted by: tiphanie23 | February 5, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Boudin - Your menu makes me want to brave the storm to come to your house for the Superbowl! :)

We've got chili with all the fixings and the real staples - cake, cookies, ice cream, candy. And vodka.

Posted by: LadyMac | February 5, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

As native Minnesotans, we are lovin' it. Hope our power stays on....it just blinked three times (we are in Anne Arundel County near Hanover). We made some homemade pizza for tonight, tomorrow it will be soups, breads, cookies, chips, and real popcorn with butter. We have cold cuts, macadamia nut cookies, and great wine and cheese. For the Super Bowl (pre-planned before the storm) we will have pulled pork sandwiches (slow cooked for 8 hours) cole slaw, beans and maybe cupcakes. Stay warm, keep a flashlight handy.

Posted by: a_media_hawk | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I made ziti tonight, and my husband's making caramelized plantains for dessert. Tomorrow we're trying a jerk chicken recipe, yucca, and fried plantains. We'll also have either beef stew or pot roast...haven't decided what cut of meat to thaw. We also have buttermilk and blueberries to make either pancakes or waffles and makings for Egg McMuffins.

I have plenty of cookie makings, although I also have a ton of cookies from previous baking days. We're thinking of breaking out the pasta machine we haven't used since we got married.

Maybe I'll also get through a little more of the Culinary Institute of America text we got for Christmas. I may not be able to take time off to go to culinary school, but maybe I can pull a Julie & Julia with it.

Posted by: Kechara | February 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's menu: Kale, It. sausage and tomato polenta. If power holds, gonna do a classic Quiche Lorraine, for leftovers, emergency rations. Sunday, pork tenderloin with pomegranate sauce.

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 5, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the families which suppplied those varied and tempting accounts of meals.
Please do not forget the birds around the house--one came near my back door earlier and did not seem frightened of human approach---and every neighbourhood has a stray cat which is also a resident and should be provided for.....if it is any consolation, read Spiegel online in English for news of German storms which have blocked roads and train lines in that well organized nation----good luck!

Posted by: red21 | February 5, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see much in the way of birds and cats in the December storm, but I did find a dog that got lost. Fortunately he had a tag on his collar. Poor guy was frozen, though...my husband and friend had to put him in the tub to warm him up while I found his people.

Posted by: Kechara | February 6, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

"Kid-friendly Outrageous Oatmeal Cookies"

Is there a cookie that's not kid friendly?

Hope the poor people get "HOPE" in the winter storm, cuz they aren't getting comfort food and such.

Posted by: accentmark | February 6, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

I made a semi-elaborate bread and three kinds of soup.

1. Split pea soup, made with stock from a smoked chicken because I didn't have any ham. Carmelizing the veggies before adding them to the simmering peas made it very tasty.

2. Cream of Baby Broccoli, made with baby broc I stuck in the freezer because it was about to go bad. Just enough for one serving.

3. Creamed Turkey Stew, made with Xmas leftovers. The original recipe had a lot of white sauce and only a litte meat so I changed it.

The kitchen is warm, the apartment smells heavenly, and I used up many odds and ends that might have otherwise gone bad.

I tried to go shopping Thursday lunchtime but there was a 20 min line for parking. Thursday evening was better but still carts were going directly from customer to customer.

There was plenty of milk (did the store lay in an extra supply? Go them!) but 99% of the yogurt was gone. Ditt for soda and chips which I imagine is an effect of the Superbowl.

Posted by: fitday19550 | February 6, 2010 5:48 AM | Report abuse

Bean and ham soup. I even remembered to soak the beans last night.

Posted by: pdmarquardt | February 6, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Ah nostalgia... I miss the DC area reaction to snow. I'm currently out in the Dakotas and we're used to snow, but interstates and country roads close regularly for drifting because it's so flat here. Until the snow and/or wind stops, there's no way to know where the roads are, let alone keep them plowed. We missed this storm, however, but I'm still cooking this weekend. After a quick grocery run, I'll do bison and red wine shepherd's pie (from Feb. Bon Appetit) for tonight and either meatball subs or shrimp and andouille gumbo for tomorrow. For lunches, I have either homemade tomato or beef vegetable soup, with makings for grilled cheese sandwiches. I think I'll make a batch of Senate-style navy bean soup with ham. Is everyone aware that Honeybaked Ham stores sell bones(very meaty) for soup?
Bon appetit, everyone!

Posted by: momof4md | February 6, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

@ momof4md~

Great minds think Bon Appetit...
I'm making the front-page beef short ribs grilled cheese today. Stuck inside Snowmageddon today (and probably for a good while) so cooking will keep me sane...hopefully.
Would love to know how the shepherd's pie turns out...it looks incredible.

Posted by: Annetastic | February 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Saturday breakfast was an omelet with Irish bacon and Dubliner cheese. Needed hot and rich food to start clearing my 100' uphill driveway so I can get to the street that won't get plowed to til like Monday. Maybe. Where's my axe? Heeeere's JOHNNY!

Posted by: CCCinNaptown | February 6, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Enchiladas- cream cheese, salsa verde onions cumin, oregano, coriander, Cinnamon, canned tomatoes. Wrapped in tortillas and cover with canned enchilada sauce. A little warmth after shoveling your sidewalks or making a snowman.

Posted by: Brooklander | February 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

There is only one meal fr a weather like this: "cheese fondue"!
Got it for lunch was delicious, thank you !

Posted by: chguy | February 6, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

We made sure to stock up on peppermint schnapps :-) I roasted a chicken last night, and today's menu included oatmeal w/raisins, pear and pecans for breakfast, hot chicken sandwiches w/mashed sweet potatoes and gravy paired with brussel sprout soup (from new Soup cookbook publ by Dorling Kindersley, excellent find). I love having to come up with creative solutions, although I'm sad that I didn't buy more onions....

Posted by: highfibre | February 6, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Nursery food for me, due to major dental work Thursday. Yogurt, soup, scrambled eggs...sigh. However, I plan to investigate all manner of spiked beverages after shoveling.

Posted by: geerue | February 6, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

We have a houseguest -- unintended, but my housemate's girlfriend can't get out -- but fortunately lots of food so enough for 3. Last night was chicken pot pie and broccoli, and leftover chocolate cake. Tonight is pork chops, baked sweet potatos and homemade apple pie for dessert. And plenty of wine, beer and even a little bottle of cognac

Posted by: annegf | February 6, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so many ideas! Thanks for posting. A lot of warm comfort food being eaten around D.C. right now...

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Oatmeal w/ craisins, brown sugar & apples for breakfast.
Homemade chicken & dumplings for dinner.
Tomorrow..taco salad w/ extra salad veggies.
Hubby and daughter are planning a cookie bake-off tomorrow, which should be interesting. I'm pretty sure that means oatmeal
and some version of choc chip.

I can't help but think of those suffering in Haiti when I read about all the food we are planning to have here.

Posted by: popclub | February 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I decided to use the Bon Appetit bison shepherd's pie tonight as a stew, with baby carrots, mushrooms and caramelized baby onions. I'm serving it with mashed russet potatoes mixed with parsnip puree, roasted garlic, parsley and green onions - and it's much healthier without the cream and butter. I made enough for several meals, so will do the shepherd's pie on Monday. The bison base came out very well. I used a whole can of crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, 2c. low-sodium beef broth instead of chicken and I added a bit of beef demi-glace, so it's different from the recipe. I also used 1/2 c. flour to brown the meat, since the comments on the website said the gravy was a bit thin.

Posted by: momof4md | February 6, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse