The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:05 PM ET, 02/10/2010

Storm to depart, takes century-old record along

By Ian Livingston

Second blizzard in days sets seasonal snow record

* Federal government closed Thursday: Federal Eye *
* Snowiest winter ever | Today's Q&A | NWS: Stay off the roads *
* Blizzard Warning until 10 p.m. area-wide (map) | NWS snow totals *
* Making history? | Watch out for ice dams | Top 5 driving hazards *
* Yesterday's Q&A | Snowmageddon's incredible output *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E | SMECO *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Graphic by Washington Post.

It's not often we witness a 100-year-plus record fall. Perhaps it's fitting it went out in such extreme fashion today. As reported here earlier, National Airport's preliminary (2 p.m.) snow total of 54.9" for the 2009-2010 winter thus far puts D.C. above the previous high mark of 54.4" set way back in 1898-1899. Baltimore has also broken its all-time record with this event.

Snow will gradually diminish through early evening as the precipitation shield slowly drifts to the north and east, but strong winds gusting to around 50 mph will continue through the evening causing ground blizzard conditions and drifting snow.

Radar: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation over past three hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Through tonight: Any leftover snow departs this evening and skies clear. Winds remain strong, gusting past 50 mph early and easing just a bit late. Temperatures range from the low-to-upper teens for lows.

Tomorrow (Thursday): Unlike the dig out from Snowmageddon's wet snow, this one will present challenges from drifting. Strong winds continue for much of the day with gusts past 30 mph at times before diminishing late. Sunshine returns with highs probably near or a smidge above freezing in the low-and-mid 30s.

What's the forecast through the weekend? Check it out here. And if you haven't already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Snow drifts bury cars in Cleveland Park around noon today. Photo by author.

By Ian Livingston  | February 10, 2010; 4:05 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's history: Winter 2009-2010 snowiest on record
Next: It won't stop: Snow, wind still pounding region

Comments

Is it just me, or does it look like the snow is now going south again on the radar?

Posted by: sk_99 | February 10, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

first?

Posted by: DCcola | February 10, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Our sympathies from Minnesota to you, because you're not used to this much winter... you actually have more snow so far this winter as of this date than we do here in Minneapolis! Hang in there.

Posted by: WestCountry2 | February 10, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey WestCountry2 - glad to have an MN reader! and thanks for your thoughts. we need them. oof!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

It's remarkable how the storm will not let DC go. Throwing back the orcs at Helm's Deep.

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

It does look like the storm's radar track is spinning counterclockwise and that the storm is just going to keep going and going Ala the Energizer Bunny!

Posted by: drewbird911 | February 10, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

yes, sk_99 - the snow is maintaining a line right at DC!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Snowstoric

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | February 10, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Here in Shady Side, MD it's worse now than it's been all day. Can't see more than 100 feet out my window. The snow is coming down hard and the winds are drifting it in every direction. Just took a power hit. Captain - she can't take much more!!!

Posted by: rollingphone | February 10, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

So it just stopped snowing in the city. .Are we done, or is that band from Maryland going to move back over city?

Posted by: realclear | February 10, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

What's the fedcast looking like for tomorrow? 3.9 domes?

Posted by: mo26 | February 10, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wind still strong here at Fort Myer, but with only flurries. The road by my apartment building hasn't been plowed, but the parking lot of the condo across the street has. They even treated it with some green gunk.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Highest winds of the day in Friendship Heights DC. Snow has blown off of many tall trees,(and piled around my house)

Posted by: dhb2 | February 10, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@mo26

Re: FedCast-- 4 domes-- which is greater than 75% chance of closing. We'll add that in our next and final update of the evening...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe it's Robert E. Lee, camped on the very doorstep of the Union.

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

realclear - should slowly dissipate here in DC - only flurries. Moderate snow should not move back south, no.

dhb2 - same here near Convention Center. Small snowNado just went down the street! yikes

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Yep, clearing up here in Wesley Heights/AU. Still loads of wind, but snow seems to be the blowing stuff not the "falling" stuff.

Posted by: ah___ | February 10, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, didn't see the new post.

People have been asking about Monday/Tuesday. Right now, it doesn't look like much at all, but we'll need to watch it closely as even another few inches could be a problem. The CPC, on the other hand,

I'm not really sure where they're getting that from. Government agencies don't need ratings.

Posted by: Steve-wxtalkwordpresscom | February 10, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

All's calm - with the exception of winds- here in Woodbridge.

Thanks to some *nudge nudge* inspirational posters (motherrunner and a few others) after shoveling out my car (not bad at all!
), I added a few others to my shovel-load.

Felt great... since I wasn't up for running in the wind. Maybe tomorrow.

Plow went through the apts- and down to much black/pavement. :-)

Just a head's up..pls be careful out there on the roads.

Two articles come to mind about major-car pile ups today-- one in PA on 80 and one in VA on 64.

Posted by: aquarnnr | February 10, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

So it turns out 54" is a lot of snow. Good to know.

Posted by: Trulee | February 10, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

FedCast-- 4 domes

----------

I don't get it. What does this mean?

Posted by: NYY1 | February 10, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@Groff, great post!

Bob Ryan mentioned a short time ago that a retired meteorololgist in Germantown, has measured 90 inches of snow this winter. I've read about 84" inches here; any other "snow belt" totals, please share.

Can't wait to read the WeatherWise article about this incredibly snowy D.C./Baltimore/Philly winter and I hope CWG has some input into the article.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I laughed when I first read this post when it said "It's not often we witness a 100-year-plus record fall." I would think not :) Anyway, awesome day, awesome coverage -- never too much snow!

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Groff: Love the North/South metaphor, but let's not get that one started here. GW debate is bad enough.

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | February 10, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

How long for the back up to move north? Carroll and Baltimore Counties must be getting buried.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I love this website. It gives you the info you need in real speak. Thanks for all the updates throughout the day.

Here's the latest in pictures and notes from our neighborhood,Bethesda:

www.BethesdaActually.com

Posted by: leftmidfield | February 10, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Still coming down in Silver Spring. Just got back from an hour long walk in the blizzard. It's fierce out there.

Measured 11" while I was out.

Posted by: OMGPonies | February 10, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Just can't see the Feds being open tomorrow. 4-5 foot drifting? metro is done, prob no aboveground tomorrow. Their parking lots...not good. Presume 30-40% capacity lost to snow piles.

And all of those schools. Who is checking into the roof structures before students can return?

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 10, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

sorry, hopefully this one will be a link:

Posted by: leftmidfield | February 10, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

This band has just parked itself overhead here and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. Another 4-6 inches isn't out of the question if it keeps up like this across Anne Arundell and Howard Counties.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing here in Olney, Md.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

AndrewRockville - scary thought!
Hoyas4Ever - thanks for the drink! Needed it after a round of shoveling.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 10, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

have a very light snow again in Reston...this thing just won't go away...and the winds REALLY are picking up...it's pretty bad out there...I get cold just watching it.

Posted by: parksndc | February 10, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Brian - you're right, we are getting slammed in HoCo! Just shoveled and we have about 2 inches again.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 10, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Snowy Greetings from a Silver Spring, Maryland resident residing in Millersville, PA as a snow bird for the next couple of months. (Florida was too exspensive this year) You'all need to have some enlightened views from outside the Beltway with fresh prespective. Guess what? It's still SNOWING to the north. I am happy to report still snowing here in Millersville, PA, near Lancaster, with blizard like conditions if not a blizard already!

Sincerely,
Walter

Posted by: walterc_10940 | February 10, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"Love the North/South metaphor, but let's not get that one started here. GW debate is bad enough."

Gotcha.

I am constrained to observe, however, that in a flanking maneuver the storm has landed on the Peninsula and is moving on Richmond ...

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@ walterc_10940 I live in Reston, VA but I went to Millersville University to study Meteorology (graduated in Finance though...long story). Enjoy the snow there!!!

Posted by: parksndc | February 10, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I've had a decent time entertaining myself alone in my efficiency for the past 5 days, but I'm just about done now. We've got a 3 day weekend for President's Day coming up this weekend, and I definitely don't see the fed open tomorrow, and maybe not Friday.

I really don't want another 5 days in my 10 x 20 foot with only a cat to talk to. I'm thinking of trying to get a cheap, last minute all inclusive beach trip planned for this weekend. Do you think that's possible?

Posted by: watchingweather | February 10, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Hi, Capital Weather Gang! I've been following you all for weeks now, and I'm hoping you can help me out with my dilemma for the weekend. I'm supposed to drive down to South Carolina on Friday to visit my elderly grandmother (splitting the drive and spending Friday night in Rocky Mount, NC - final destination is south of Myrtle Beach, SC). We're supposed to drive back on Monday, but with the new snow coming, I *really* don't want to get stuck not being able to make it back. I also don't want to do essentially a one-day turnaround - driving back on Sunday instead. Hotel reservations have to be canceled by tomorrow or we are out hundreds. What would you do, knowing what you know now about Monday's storm? Thanks!!

Posted by: plawrimore1 | February 10, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@bodypolitic1 and @groff, just to clarify I was referring to Groff's LOTR post, not the Civil War/War Between the States post, although it was clever. I agree, let's not try to re-fight that war or any other political, etc. wars here.

CWG, the Cleveland Park photo is great. Looks my Glover Park nabe.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Carlyle Neighborhood, Alexandria

I ventured out just before 4pm. Didn't measure but it was still snowing and the wind was (ans still is) fierce. Our building on the one next to us make it even worse by creating a mini wind tunnel. I tried capturing it on video and a few pictures which I have posted on my site.

Posted by: sfeuer | February 10, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Alternating between moderate and heavy snow in Bowie. This band is parked right overhead and not budging!

Posted by: JTF- | February 10, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Isn't unusual for the low to just crawl away like this? It seems that usually they roar up the coast.

Posted by: barbnc | February 10, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Moderate to heavy snow still in Annapolis also. It ain't over yet!

Posted by: annapyr | February 10, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

The "Double Wallop"! What do you think of that for an appellation for this week's dual snowstorms?

Posted by: InArlington20 | February 10, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

just finished shoveling out here in woodbridge. wind is wicked right now. looks like we got 9-10 inches best I can tell on the deck that is sheltered from the wind.

Posted by: drmammal | February 10, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been able to get a still photo or video of one of the "snow-nadoes?" Would love to see it! I have pretty limited sight lines from my place here in Four Corners.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | February 10, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

So, what's the longer term forecast for the rest of February and into March? I note that Farmer's Almanac mentions snow in the mid-Atlantic region at the end of February....

Posted by: droopyd | February 10, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

InArlington, I like someone's earlier comment about calling this winter, the "Triple Double".

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

HA! I think you guys are getting your revenge on me for being in Alabama for all of this.

My college here in Mobile, AL was just put under a WINTER STORM WATCH until 6PM Friday. WTF? Talking to locals, the last time it snowed here was in 1993. That's flippin' insane, but hey, isn't everything this winter?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 10, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@plawrimore1 -- I've driven down to Blufton-Hilton Head South Carolina and back a few times (including a sudden return the day after arriving there). If you can't postpone the trip, I'd say go down on Friday if you can but come back Sunday all in one day. This assumes that you can make it to the interstate on Friday and that it is fairly well cleared. But again, perhaps you can postpone the trip?

Posted by: Murre | February 10, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

It has been snowing like crazy in NW AA county for about 5 hours now at least!!

14" and counting! If get another 4-6 holy Crap!

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hi from Rockville Town Center, seeing some amazing things from my condo window:

1. they are literally trucking the snow out of Town Square, using front end loaders and those huge Waste Management dump trucks.

2. Some very brave, dedicated SUV driver dropping off a new crew member to relieve the most likely exhausted crew that is hauling snow.

3. Some idiot in a dress coat and hat trying to climb over a 3foot drift of snow to get where? As far as I can see nothing is open here.

4. A cross country skier trekking up East Middle Lane.

5. Very high, whipping winds and lots of "angry snow"

Posted by: dibabe | February 10, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Millersville University has a good weather blog at
http://snowball.millersville.edu/~cws/SpecialWeatherDiscussion.html. I have been reading the blog and on along with the Capitalweather blog throughout the day.

Sincerely,
Walter

Posted by: walterc_10940 | February 10, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Millersville University has a good weather blog at

Sincerely,
Walter

Posted by: walterc_10940 | February 10, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey weatherdudeVA - we got about 10-11 inches of snow here in Lake Ridge. Snow stopped couple of hours ago.. but the winds are howl'n..

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 10, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing lightly in downtown Frederick. It seems like we're right on the edge of the northern precip, so as it keeps spiraling around, we stay in the snow.

The wind is sculpting massive drifts even with the protection of buildings here. Drifts along the street are about four to four & a half feet high. There's a drift across the street that looked about six to seven feet, too.

Posted by: dettiot | February 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

57th! Still snowing in Riverdale Park.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

:( How did we get ripped off so much here in Manassas? I have about 5 inches total...NWS says 4.5 for Manassas Park. I thought we would be in the west end of the higher accumulations just outside of Fairfax?

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 10, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The Triple Double it is...Until the next one during March Madness...that would be just right considering we had the Super Bowl storm.

Posted by: DullesARC | February 10, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

*whine*

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 10, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Just came in from shoveling, first time out today. Oh my. Still steady flurries here in Germantown and the wind is killer.

Posted by: nonfrequentflyer | February 10, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Tapered to flurries in North Potomac and now snow moderate to heavy with strong winds.

Posted by: SirBeeda | February 10, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Only 6" in NW Spotsy. 53" on the yr. Wished this L would have been 50 miles farther S.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 10, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Reporting from Rehoboth Beach, rain all last night, turned to snow around 10am.....its been fierce since then. Currently 8 inches on the ground and no let up in sight. Gusts up to 44. Can't see the ocean from the boardwalk....we're gonna need a bigger boat....

Posted by: mustang64 | February 10, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

More precipitation on Monday? It's tough to go more than a few days without snow, after all.

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 10, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

DCA seasonal total up to 55.6" as of 4 p.m., meaning current storm is up to 10.4". Assuming nothing major out at IAD in the next few hours, this will be one of the rare times that DCA beats out IAD.

@weatherdudeVA, snow in Mobile?? Truly rare. Pensacola may also get snow.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Still coming down strong in Forest Glen....enjoyed watching a large flat bed truck getting stuck on the on-ramp to 495!

Posted by: gjjg4dgd | February 10, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, this is a better link for Bethesda Actually. It has some fun shots of today and yesterday.

Posted by: leftmidfield | February 10, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I believe this weather will continue, until Al Gore is offered as a burnt sacrifice to Ma Nature. I could be wrong, but why take a chance?

Posted by: truck9009 | February 10, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm venturing out for a stroll. If I'm not back in 20 minutes, wait longer.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

From Ellicott City...this band that has been sitting over us for the past hour plus is tenacious! Still snowing very heavily here. Looking at regional radar it really does appear as though the low has stalled, or at the very least is moving very slowly. I love snow, but at this point, just stick a fork in me.

Posted by: Brian_in_EC | February 10, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

"this will be one of the rare times that DCA beats out IAD"

it's stopped out here near IAD - I measured 5.5", blowing and drifting old snow more of a problem than new snow

would have felt more like a bust if it weren't for the wind

Posted by: TGT11 | February 10, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

NOT that I wish a power outage on anyone, but I have to say I hate that dark, snow-filled nights here in Greenbelt are a garish salmon pink from light spill.

A cloudy night should not be brighter than a clear, starry one.

Of course, the good thing about light pollution is that it's reversible.

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Went out in Glover Park around 4.15 pm. Pretty clear that we got 11 inches new, I was surprised how consistent the measurements were. The deepest snow I found was 34 inches but clearly that combination of old and new also had some drifts. As I was out taking photos a monster wind gust arrived, turning the world white, howling in the trees and wires, and scaring the bejeezuz out of me.

I made it back inside and nothing came crashing down. This winter is a keeper and CWG rocks. And, by the way, NWS's original "10-20" doesn't look so bad now, does it?

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 10, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

manassasmissy - funny how western PW county got about half of what eastern PW county recieved.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 10, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@Trulee I like your sense of humor.

Posted by: eddiedog2 | February 10, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing here in Eldersburg; as unbelievable as that is. As of 5PM we had about 23 inches. This is honestly getting ridiculous. Radar shows more moderate to heavy bands headed our way. This Low is parked off the coast. The "eye" on satellite is impressive!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@DoubtingDavid, I also measured 11" in Glover Park at about 3 p.m., although it's really hard to get an accurate measurement because of the drifting. I doubt that we'll see the D-2 run here up here 'til ??? Last D-2 run where I live was Fri p.m. rush hour.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@doubtingdavid

The 10-20 initial forecast from NWS was quite good except to the southwest.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Eldersburg - hang in there. Hope you are properly provisioned.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 10, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

There are going to be some bigger totals in this storm than the last storm with that low just sitting and spinning. My daughter in Towson says she has about 20 inches and it is still going.

Posted by: barbnc | February 10, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Still blowing, and I think, snowing in Aspen Hill/Wheaton/Glenmont area. It is hard to see if the snow is coming down or just coming around again. But I think it is still snowing a bit. We appear to be on the borderline of the area where the blizzard warning has been extended to 10pm.

My poor aged beagle wants to go out but then takes one look at the outside and retreats.

Posted by: mrspeel25 | February 10, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Why has southwest cancelled all flight on Thursday out of BWI already? BWI has its runways open already. What the $#*&(#$*&(

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@FIREDRAGON47

We have over 50 inches on the ground here in Eldersburg. LOL! It's hysterical isn't it? It's as if we live in a lake effect area!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

My cats are scared of the wind and have been hiding for the most part for days. I don't know where they are now, and that's saying something given the meager size of my place.

Posted by: watchingweather | February 10, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like this buoy is pretty close to the low right now: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44066

976.4mb

Posted by: RandC | February 10, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Manassas definitely got a lot less than t he rest of the region. I don't think I even got 5 inches on my driveway. I'm guessing more in the 4 inch range but it's hard to say because I shoveled some of it last night before going to bed.

I can definitely tell you that the sun came out in Manassas around 2 or 2:30 and stayed out for 1-2 hours. I was out there clearing the ice at the end of the driveway that the plow "gave" me. A lot of my cleared driveway melted (I can see patches of asphalt beneath it) and the street in front of my house is looking really good. Manassas must have been in the Twilight Zone of the storm or something.

Posted by: typical_guy | February 10, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's a tip: don't try to throw your shovel up into the trees javelin-style trying to dislodge a snow clump.

It might not come back down...

Posted by: jimfergusonj | February 10, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

@dlo1975

how much did you get from the last storm. You gotta have close to 50" sitting on the ground (you check your rafters?)

Send me the Vegas tixs, I can fly out of Dulles :)

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

hey my friend is coming in from BWI Friday evening, do any of you think the runway conditions there will still be too bad by then? And more importantly do y'all think MARC will be running so she can get into downtown?

Posted by: love_hate_snow_relationship | February 10, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

28-30 inches from the last storm; most of which was still on the ground when this started. Not to mention we got 6 inches from a small storm a couple of days before the 28 inch storm! We have to be approaching 24+ inches now. Snowing heavily again.

Dulles? Maybe I will look into flying out of Dulles! Is it really any better? The problem is Southwest, not BWI!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I measured a 45 mph gust about 5:30 PM along the SW DC water front with near zero visibility

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Steve - are will still in store for another 2-3" 10 south of BWI?

Posted by: snowlover | February 10, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@Brian-CapitalWeatherGang

It has been over 30 minutes.Is it time to send out the St. Bernard?

Posted by: djm-01 | February 10, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@love_hate_snow_relationship - Your friend should be able to get into BWI - I would imagine they'd have all runways open by then. Can't speak to MARC status - I don't know much about that system, so don't know how they do with weather... but would hope by Friday they'd be up and running. Check Amtrak, too, as another way for her to get downtown. (am assuming you mean DC downtown, rather than Baltimore...)

Posted by: alc_in_NoVa | February 10, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Its started snowing again here in Sterling. Looks like its shifting south. Whats going on CWG??? I am not complaining one bit about more snow!!

Posted by: justin-N-sterlingVa | February 10, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

...snowing hard here in NW

Posted by: davis_renee | February 10, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

um...the 18Z GFS is starting to show a storm similar to this one for next Monday-Tuesday.

Posted by: bdeco | February 10, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

You've probably heard of the book and/or movie titled The Bucket List, about the things you want to do before you ... kick the bucket.

After taking another stroll outside I've just added an old childhood fantasy, drive a snowplow!

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Wesley Heights/AU: 11", mostly fluffy snow. I'd say it's final tally, but there seem to be some flurries in the area.

Posted by: ah___ | February 10, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

djm, no no, I've just returned. It's still pretty nasty out around here. Some wicked winds and snow over my waist in some areas. My attempt to shovel was soon squashed when i turned around and it looked like I hadn't touched it. I've decided to wait for calmer times.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@love_hate_snow_relationship - i would expect that MARC will be running at least on the penn line friday, but they will be running their "S" schedule, which means a limited schedule.

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 10, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@bdeco, yep, saw that. Looks as wet as today's storm, going to be colder, but not over us anywhere near as long. Definitely need to watch it over the next few days as the models get more consistent on it. Right now I'd say probably about half what we got today, but that will probably change.

Posted by: RandC | February 10, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The Blizzard of Two Ten Twenty Ten, i.e.,
2/10/2010

if you're a real numerologist
02/10/2010

(courtesy of Chris Gordon, WRC)

This from a friend in Florida after I sent her Ian's Cleveland Park cars photo:

"Are those cars? I spent the day at the Florida State Fair. Sausage sandwich, poorman's caramel apple, honey sticks, and a meatball splash. It was a bit cold though. 59 degrees."

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it could snow again early next week. I like snow but that's just crazy.

Posted by: bgaffney491 | February 10, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

What's up with OPM? Conference call was scheduled for 6PM. To me its a question of whether the FED is closed tomorrow and Friday; tomorrow should be a given!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Mung Daal:You take the moon and you take the sun.
Chowder:You take everything that seems like fun.
Truffles:You turn em all up and then your done.
Shnitzel: RAADA RAADA RAADA
ALL:So come on in, feel free to do some looking, Stay awhile cuz somethings always cooking!
-So come on in, feel free to do some looking, Stay awhile cuz somethings always cooking!
YEAH!

-wow, I really need my kids to go back to school soon.

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Bdeco and/or CWG, please say more. I know it is early, but are the models really showing a serious possibility of another major event?

Also, anybody got any updates from Berry's daily conference call?

Posted by: DCcola | February 10, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@notDLO1975

Did you see the pictures from your old stomping ground of Cleveland Park? Can you say BURIED?!

The Monday storm is going to go south; maybe :)

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

CWG - any thoughts on when this might actually move out of here? i'm in AA county and not a weather expert at all, but it seems like the moisture just keeps coming back in.

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 10, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Is it creeping back south? Started snowing again in N. Arlington.

Posted by: guild370 | February 10, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Anyone in Old Town Alexandria who wants to get out, Southside is open for business and packed. Everyone it seems needs to get out of the house.

Praying to the Metro gods that some buses run up Route 1 or the Metro runs above ground tomorrow-I need to go to work!

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

still snowing moderate to heavy in Crofton, MD. Cant shovel until it stops, will it ever stop? Uncle. Although we love it, the kids are in the backyard, with flashlights sitting in an igloo I built for them. 16 ins. unofficially

Posted by: thedude3 | February 10, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@DLO1975

Missed the pictures. I could go for a trip to Alero's. I wonder if the wife will mind the trip into town.

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Paid two young neighbor guys to clear the ice and snow from the gutter that I know is causing the small but constant leak at my front door at this one spot. They did a good job and worth the $$ for me to get that done. I'm fairly sure the water traveled along one particular area of the soffit/overhang.

It's been about 2 hours now, and still a drip, sure hope it stops before it gets too late tonight. If I close my front door, it will pool up along the top of the door and down, and what a mess that will be. But, who knows how much water we're talking about that is trying to drain in that spot - even a small water spill always seems like more on the counter to clean up than there was in the container that spilled in the first place.

Better check w/the insurance company tomorrow also, I guess.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 10, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@DLO1975 - the announcements in prior days haven't come out until 6:30-7. I don't think there is much question re: tomorrow, and I am CERTAIN they will not make any decision on friday until 24-34 hours from right now. the rest of the country is already complaining that the fed has been closed this week.

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 10, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Serves me right for calling bust on this one - part of my roof collapsed and I had to shovel snow out of the attic this afternoon. We got a good 15" of fresh powder on the ground at 34th & Q, NW. Let's just say I won't be calling bust again...

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 10, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Clare & Don's and Applebee's open in Falls Church. The bar is open at 4 P's, but not the restaurant.

Posted by: pchart | February 10, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

DLO- How much in your first storm? You've got to have close to 4 1/2 feet in snow pack, even with the melt on Sun/Mon. I think some of the reports from Northern Balt Co. and your area will be huge.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@not DLO1975

Look at the CWG main page. Right there is a picture of the buried cars in Cleveland Park. On HOLD with southwest for the third time in four days!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

band is starting to sag a bit south, though that might be just a figment due to it looking a bit disorganized. On another note, I got some really good, but really short, video of a nice snow-nado! I'll try and get it uploaded somewhere.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"I measured a 45 mph gust .."

Are you sure you weren't talking into the anemometer?

(sorry...couldn't resist... and it's still snowing in NWDC / Georgetown again.)

Posted by: manatt | February 10, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I've decided not to pursue this silly Civil War metaphor.

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I think it has started snowing in Logan Circle again--although it's hard to tell if it's falling or drifting (it seems to be falling, however). I don't believe I've ever seen a storm do this.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

@drc231

28 inches with the 1st storm. I am starting to think this one may beat that! Probably about 50 inches on the ground here; some of it compressed.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

low seems to be trying to retrograde...interesting

Posted by: danuva | February 10, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Under Siege

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@dlo - duh

I saw the pixs but never read the caption. Thank God I have a garage now!

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing pretty good still in Hagerstown - we have at least 20" so far. Looks like it will keep traning on us for some time to come. Never seen it come down from the NE like that.

Posted by: bendersx6 | February 10, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Snowing again in Annandale.

Posted by: jimfergusonj | February 10, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I still like "The Third Snowman of the Snowpocalypse". Whoever made that up, my apologies for not crediting you.

I gotta say, I am very impressed with CSX. They just keep on trucking (or training, as the case may be). I saw one go by a little while ago with a couple cars labelled "safety train" and "safety training car", in among a lot of normal cargo cars. Interesting. The locomotives have some kind of plow attachment mounted on their front. I got a picture of one 2 days ago from up close as it passed, I was out walking around and happened to be next to the tracks when it was coming. Cool.

The chickens are snug in their Eggloo, but their feeder got blown full of snow, poor girls. And Penny is STILL laying :)

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I still like the "Snowminator"; because the snow comes back Again and Again!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

@DCcola

Right now its showing a narrow band of about 5-7 inches. However, its still very early so there is a lot of uncertainty at this point. Not worth really worry about until the weekend.

Posted by: bdeco | February 10, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Light to moderate blowing snow here in NW DC off Wisconsin Avenue.

Posted by: cabaretic | February 10, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

We lost power from 10a-4pm, so glad it's back. That SUCKED.

Posted by: allisondt | February 10, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! It's coming back. Moderate snow again in NW DC. Unreal.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Here in Arlington we got another 6, maybe 8 inches of snow over the last 24 hours. And yeah, it is a bit windy. But, I don't see why the newscasters continue their hysterical behavior. The roads will be functional tomorrow. 3-4 inches of hard-packed snow on the pavement is not a major challenge for most cars today --at least not those with front-wheel drive and 4-season radials. Please stop this dramatic nonsense, and lets go back to work.

Posted by: RegisUrgel | February 10, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

this is in incredible. one thing i've noticed from these big storms is how even on the backside of the storm, the snow bands kept coming. i wonder if northeast maryland becomes the winner over some of the other big cities. this is maryland's winter, i tell ya!

Posted by: swishjobs | February 10, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

WBAL 11 is showing a clip of Deborah Weiner giving a police officer crap for not stopping people that are driving in the city when it's "phase 3"; all unauthorized vehicles off the road. Good stuff!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Light/Mod snow in Ballston.

Posted by: Holt1 | February 10, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaLord | February 10, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

After seeing the sun earlier (okay maybe I shouldn't have bragged about getting "lucky" after all), the wind is picking up.

I checked the "future" button and it seems the storm is moving South. The DC metro area is going to apparently get snow well into tomorrow. I thought it was supposed to stop and move out of the region by 7PM?

Posted by: typical_guy | February 10, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

OK, so my suspicions about the snow returning have been confirmed. Is this just a short-time thing? Is it common for a band of snow to move south like this?

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Global Warming Alarmists and Al Gore (But I Repeat Myself) are hardest hit.

Posted by: dhorton1 | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

based on DaLord's post, it has to be a matter of minutes before OPM makes its announcement. I can't remember a time when the gov't opened with metro not running full service.

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

After a 3 hour lull, it's snowing once again in Lake Ridge. Precip is now moving due south.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 10, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Just the lightest snow starting up again in Clifton. I didn't think this was really part of the plan. I'm assuming this will be quick with no real accumulation. Right???

Posted by: CliftonJohn | February 10, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. No, "global warming alarmists" are not the hardest hit, because isolated storms are indicators of nothing--otherwise all those 100 degree days in August would be a pretty significant indicator. Quit trying to pick arguments/fights where none exists.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Steve T - I'm totally with you about driving a snow plow :)

Posted by: ajb288 | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

snowing again here in Takoma DC

Posted by: owensm | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in Fairlington

Posted by: altuckywmn | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

STILL SNOWING in Laurel. Amazing. Is this band of snow ever going to leave? Not that I mind, but yeesh!

Posted by: megamuphen | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@typical_guy

What you're looking at is a computerized algorithm which just projects precipitation based on the direction it's moving. While we do have bands continuing to pivot southward, the entire storm system will eventually move off to the east...and the precip will shutoff within a few hours. It is remarkable, though, how long this has persisted. A very impressive storm.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Real short video of a snow-nado!

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

RE: CSX, Actually they have had quite a time in the last few days. Major freight derailment (115 cars of a 130 car coal train) on Sand Patch grade west of Cumberland, MD and the closure of the RF&P subdivision between Washington and Richmond due to fallen tree limbs and snowy conditions. Biggest problem that railroads have in heavy snow is the switches that control movement from one track to another, they freeze and have to be swept and cleaned out. Many have propane fueled switch heaters. All diesel locomotives have a plow attachment at both ends of the locomotive, but very deep snow requires a real snow plow or spreader.

Posted by: Log711 | February 10, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Alexandria DASH buses will not be running on Thursday. Bad sign for Metrobuses. At least if I had to use vacation days, I wish I were in someplace warmer...

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

CWG guys:

What's the deal with Sunday/Monday. Is the storm still going south, or is the hype that's starting to build legitimate?

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I just finished shoveling in Reston...and when the wind stopped I noticed....IT'S SNOWING AGAIN!!! This thing keeps on punching!

Posted by: parksndc | February 10, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Checking in from Gainesville...

The wind is really whipping around our house, and I think I hear a piece of siding vibrating, much to my dismay. My better half saw some snow devils in the front yard, and the snow on the deck was whirling and twisting earlier this afternoon. Amazingly (or not), the leaning cedar with all the snow on it still has not budged, nor has it lost its coating of snow. We've been watching it warily all afternoon. Here's to hoping it doesn't come down in the middle of the night. Temps out here are in the low 20s, but I don't know the current windchill.

Posted by: jaradel | February 10, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

It's NOT still snowing outside.

It's NOT still snowing outside.

It's NOT still sno-- dangit.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Here's my official mea culpa for calling a bust yesterday (3-5 except 5-10 Baltimore). However I must mention that I only got 3-4 inches (3.5 on the porch, but a bit more in open areas). I am in the middle of Warren County and even the NE corner of the county had more snow than I did.

Posted by: eric654 | February 10, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Jason-CapitalWeatherGang

I can tell you that it was dead silent around here for several hours and the winds are picking up like crazy again. It SOUNDS like the storm is coming back at the very least. If we don't get more snow then that's good to me because I won't have to shovel. What is the CWG prediction for the Manassas area tonight and tomorrow? Will there be snow and if so, how much?

Posted by: typical_guy | February 10, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Brian, for those of us who gave up on Facebook is there any other place we can find your snownado vid?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry all -

I am going up to Liberty on Friday. So Friday will be 90 degrees and all the snow will melt

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in SW DC right by the waterfront.

and thanks @bdeco

Posted by: DCcola | February 10, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

The people hardest hit are those straining their brains to find something funny and can come up with nothing better than the 15,234th mention of Al Gore since December.

Posted by: mhardy1 | February 10, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

ultrapop101 wrote, "... because isolated storms are indicators of nothing--otherwise all those 100 degree days in August would be a pretty significant indicator.

Hmmmm... Do you mean like this -
Australians Link Climate Change and Deadly Fires

Would you like to rephrase this portion of your comment? - "Quit trying to pick arguments/fights where none exists."

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 10, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Q - Buzz off.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Jerry, I'll try and you tube it

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Just read the Metro press release-no Metro above ground on Thursday nor Metrobuses. Another day off...sigh.

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

A friend of mine works at a law firm downtown and they have remained "open" all week, making employees use their leave if they cannot make it in. This seems ridiculous. Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Posted by: AlexBike | February 10, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Feds closed again tomorrow.

Posted by: thepostischeap | February 10, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

OPM= CLOSED

Posted by: owensm | February 10, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

OPM just announced Feds closed tomorrow. www.opm.gov

Posted by: altuckywmn | February 10, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Feds closed Thursday

Posted by: artteach | February 10, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

feds closed thurs

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 10, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

For you train aficionados out there - I just heard a train whistle in the distance, so the Virginia Creeper must still be running in some capacity.

Posted by: jaradel | February 10, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Fed government just announced that it will be closed tomorrow. But we all pretty much knew that already.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Federal Government closed tomorrow.

Posted by: dmorack | February 10, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the FED will also be closed on Friday since Monday is a Holiday and DC is very slow at clearing snow!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

wow just saw the 18z nam and it looks like that clipper is going to dive south and maybe turn right at us for a 3-6" event, but i guess it's too early to talk about that. would be hard to believe. that would be our 5th snow event since jan 30.

Posted by: swishjobs | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Gov't finally made a decision -- closed tomorrow.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

meant to say "gfs", not nam

Posted by: swishjobs | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Since with the wind picking up there is an increased chance of power outages, I thought I would pass along some of my emergency preparedness knowledge:
-Keep all doors and windows closed tonight, especially if your heat is powered electrically, as you are letting out precious heat you'll wish you had back if the power fails.
-Turn the thermostat up a little bit and then turn it off when it gets too uncomfortably hot. This way, you can pump as much heat into the house as possible while you can should the power fail.
-It's a good idea to fill your bathtub with water for possible cooking and drinking, especially if you live in an apartment above the ground floor. The pumps that supply your water will fail without electricity, and therefore so will your water. Living without a large source of water becomes very uncomfortable, very quickly.
-Find your candles, flashlights, batteries, and other items you will need now and place them physically near you.

If there are widespread power outages there will be no telling when the power will come back, especially if you are not in a populated area. The power companies have explicitly stated that they will target broken equipment that serves the greatest amount of people first, before repairing equipment that just serves a limited area or a few homes.

Posted by: genestad | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

MMMH. I feel comfortable at home. Feels good watching the pretty scenery outside. But I could easily go for a walk, to the mall, or to the metro. What is this dysfucntional metro maintenance system we have here? Have they ever heard of plows? The motivation for a (partly) underground metro is it keeps running when the other modes of transportation struggle. What a wimpy bunch...

Posted by: RegisUrgel | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Light snow again in Oakton, VA. Our snow shut off at about 2:30 this afternoon. Crazy.

Posted by: paige_va | February 10, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

AlexBike - my firm has done that for all of our area offices (Baltimore, Tysons, etc.) with the exception of DC, because the DC office is tied to the fed schedule. I guarantee you DC would have been open all week if our personnel policies weren't written the way they were. It's total cheapskate BS.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

In NW DC, at least a foot on the deck, and close to 2 ft. drifted around the car. The snow was fairly easy to shovel when it wasn't blowing back in my face. The toughest part was heaving it over the piles from the last storm.

Posted by: FriendshipHeightsChatter | February 10, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

@AlexBike- Fenty kept the DC government open Monday and yesterday, Monday with a one hour delay. Thankfully he closed today. So many DC government workers had to use leave because they simply could not get there.

Posted by: SubRosa2 | February 10, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Moderate snow again in woodbridge (22191) and the wind is a lot louder than an hour ago.

Posted by: drmammal | February 10, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

AlexBike-

My firm is the same way. We've been open yet 80% of our workforce has been able to show up!

Posted by: heatherfeather1 | February 10, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

The storm seems to have returned with a vengeance. Very strong winds and moderate snow here.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@AlexBike: Many federal contractors must use their leave when OPM shuts the doors if they do not have telework agreements. I could walk to my office in a 60 mph blizzard but it would do little good since my agency is closed. At least your friend's coworkers had a choice.

Posted by: hoos3014 | February 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Three feet of snow for Arlington in less than seven days. Unbe-friggin'-lievable.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm a small-firm lawyer so it doesn't really matter whether we are "open" or "closed." Either way, the checks aren't coming through the door.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 10, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

@ WestCountry2, TWC actually just issued a report today, stating that where I am near IAD, we have more snow this season than Buffalo, NY, Anchorage, AK, or Burlington, VT! (That list includes Fairbanks, AK as well).

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 10, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

It seems to have finally quit here in Riverdale Park MD in the last half hour or so, maybe an hour. For good?

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

ultrapop101 wrote, "Mr. Q - Buzz off."

I am disappointed. I had hoped for a slightly better retort. I guess when the facts are not on your side, the remaining options are all bad.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 10, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I live in Burke. Went outside about ten minutes ago. Light to moderate snow blowing all over the place. When you get a gust, the snow travels in crazy directions. It is very windy and bitterly cold right now.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | February 10, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all for the other law firm / DC govt / fed contractor positions. I still think it's a cheapskate move. :)

Noting with a little concern the new snow reports. I just cleared my driveway.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 10, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Here in Fairfax, the snow has returned along with very high winds. I thought it was just blowing snow, but the radar shows snow coming back from the north. What's happening?

Posted by: dadofmeg | February 10, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Brian, I would absolutely LOVE to see that video. I've been joking about seeing a Snownado for years now!

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 10, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

genestad: To the to-do list of preparedness items you mentioned, please add the following "don't do":

Don't use gasoline powered generators, gas grilles, or other outdoor equipment INDOORS. There was a report on Channel 4 that some people had been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes as a result of using such equipment because they experienced power outages.

I know that any thinking adult shouldn't even consider such madness, but people will do all sorts of ill-advised things in an emergency.

You should also add that, if you have a heat pump, make sure that the outdoor unit is clear of snow.

If you use candles, don't go to bed without extinguishing all of them. And definitely don't place them near combustibles such as curtains.

Let common sense rule.

Posted by: MillPond2 | February 10, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

It appears to be still snowing in Silver Spring.

Posted by: Murre | February 10, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Just got word that The World Bank is closed tomorrow. This makes five days in a row. Truly unprecedented!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

It does look like this storm is making a return run. Maybe just to be sure the record is broken.

Posted by: grobinette | February 10, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Q. Let's reconnect in the summer.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

@alexbike, my company is the same way, their policy is that they never close unless the power is out. If you can't make it in and you can't work from home you have to take a vacation day.

Posted by: ana_b | February 10, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It is VERY cold out there. Please be extremely careful if you have to go outdoors. If you haven't shoveled yet, you might want to wait until tomorrow.

Posted by: hoos3014 | February 10, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

how do you post a comment in bold/italics?

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Looks from the radar that several hours' worth of snow remains for DC and environs. I'm happy we made the record, but....

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Are there any laws in DC, MD, or VA regarding removing snow from tops of vehicles before operating?

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | February 10, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't see any sign of snow here in Centreville, and I've kept my front door open until, hopefully, the drip, drip, drip decides to take a break later tonight. But there are still the occasional wind gusts. Surprisingly, the temp has only gone down to 23 since nightfall.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 10, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Ashburn - about 8 inch on driveway. We definitely lucked out and got less than others. I'm done snow shovelling for the season!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | February 10, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Q - Ultrapop is on the edge, you just may push him over it. LOL!

Posted by: HolyMoley | February 10, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

No sympathy! Here in NH 2yrs ago we had 122 inches! and guess what... it doesn't melt here until April. Your snow will be gone before the end of Feb. You guys are WIMPS!

Posted by: WinterKing | February 10, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

@Pnflkc3- I thought Jim Graham got one through the DC Council last year.

Posted by: SubRosa2 | February 10, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

This is completely insane. It took all afternoon for the snow to FINALLY move out of western Fairfax County. The sun actually peeked out for awhile. Then.....you guessed it...the snow bands filled in AGAIN...with MORE coming down from the north.

Please.....SOMEBODY from CapitalWeather comment on why these snow bands simply refuse to quit. Is the low moving BACK, SW, towards us again?....There were some signs of that earlier in the afternoon.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | February 10, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I love how 35+ inches of snow on the ground will affect perspective; I was scoffing at Brian Williams and New Yorkers going crazy over a foot.

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | February 10, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

So windy, so cold! These snow showers won't last long.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

WinterKing - you are so right. A little snow and the DC bureaucrats melt (pun intended). In New Hampshire you strap on snowshoes and walk to the store. In DC you get into endless blog discussions on evidence of Global Warming, throw temper tantrums, and whine.

Posted by: HolyMoley | February 10, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

It's FINALLY clearing here in Eldersburg. Just some flurries now. This storm, which was originall supposed to be snow showers, then 3-6 inches, then 6-12, then 10-20, has left 25 inches of fresh snow in its wake here in Eldersburg. With 50+ inches now on the ground here, I can't help but wonder what mother nature has in store for us next!

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 10, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Here's another link, fiance sent it to the weather channel.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Bust!

Just kidding. All joking aside, how do you measure accumlations from this storm when the winds kicked in at 9:30 and won't let go?

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 10, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

@DLO1975 -- Thanks for keeping us up to datte with the saga that you have experienced over the last couple of days. Amazing!

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Just took the pooch out for an hour - The snow is still falling heavily in Thomas/Logan Circle.

This really is a once in a lifetime event.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

@Camden-CapitalWeatherGang

You said: "So windy, so cold! These snow showers won't last long."

Sorry, Camden. I don't have much faith in you. Earlier when people were saying it looked like the snow was moving south again you said at 4:29pm: "should slowly dissipate here in DC - only flurries. Moderate snow should not move back south, no."

This is more than flurries and the moderate to heavy bands ARE moving south again....and have been for hours.

Posted by: rwalker66 | February 10, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

@DLO1975, I have this eerie feeling that the Fourth Snowstorm of the Apocalypse is saddling its steed.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, snow in Logan Circle is coming down at a very steady pace--and this is after it had quit almost completely around 5 PM. Can't believe it returned.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Just checked my scale: thanks to herculean efforts, weight accumulation over Snowmageddon & Snoverkill down from 2.4 lbs on Monday to 0.4 lbs.

Now I can have a big dinner to celebrate.

Posted by: MikeinDC2 | February 10, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

@HolyMoley, Washington dc is the second snowiest city this year(at dulles) and will likely be the snowiest after this storm. We have more than buffalo, rochester, and places in colorado. (http://dcist.com/2010/02/dc_area_now_claims_second_highest_s.php). Stop saying we are whimpy. 45+ inches in 4 days is a huge amount of snow(largest chicago storm ever was 23 inches). Please stop. it is people like you who ruin the blog. and oh yeah, global warming exists, why are you saying it doesnt? do you really think anyone would think "holymoley thinks global warming is a hoax, he must be right, i believe him" NO! seriously get a life, your rants are falling on deaf ears.

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Okay, enough is enough. All you schoolteachers have got to stop dancing naked at midnight. Seriously!

Posted by: dadofmeg | February 10, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@HolyMoley is just bitter since his wife now knows what six inches really looks like

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@Brian, wow, the Snow-nado clip is impressive. Thanks for shooting and sharing.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@fleeciewool

I agree. Great for catching up on paperwork and such but lousy for revenue. My partner and I closed our business last Friday at 12N. Since we use a lot of independent contactors, who receive no benefits, I am more than a little concerned for their financial well being...

Posted by: djm-01 | February 10, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@ultra -

I'll say one thing, it seems like the circles, vermont, 13th and 14th were cleared much faster this time around wouldn't you say?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@DLO1975

post some pixs!

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 10, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

guys--the easiest way to shut up people like holeymoley and mr. q is just ignore them. if they stop getting reactions out of people they will get bored and go bother someone else. believe me, if you ignore them long enough, they will go away.

Posted by: drmammal | February 10, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

300 - I did see plows moving around the 'hood this afternoon, and was impressed. Some streets (like ours, lol) didn't seem to get as much plow-time, but it's definitely better than the weekend.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Bless bless the wind. take the snow off my roof...please!

Now, regarding those cars that ride around with 18 inches of snow on their roof...honestly, somebody really needs to tell those people to put their vehicle in their garage during the storm like I do!

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 10, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@notdlo1975 Nice one! you just owned holy moley!

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@300
plow?? what's a plow?? I believe they were added to the endangered species list at some point last weekend :))))) in all seriousness, we have not seen one in our neighborhood since the december storm.

Posted by: drmammal | February 10, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@MMCarhelp

The low just is moving very slowly. It's still deepening (and is very intense) and it's continuing to throw back feeder bands on the back side that are pivoting southeastward. I do not recall ever seeing a scenario like this and the models missed it. No forecasters predicted snow heading southward thru the metro region after 7 p.m. We've all missed this.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@drmammal: bingo!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 10, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

@ultra -

Agreed. P Street is busy tonight - all the places are open and packed too.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

@Jason

Hard to believe that CWG missed this band, but then, as you say, so did everyone else. I hope you get outta here on time for your trip.

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA 25 degrees (wind chill feels like absolute zero) & having a cute little snow flurry. Surprise! The sidewalk is glazed over yet again.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 10, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@Mr_Q: seems like your article doesn't really support your case. True, that summer was the hottest on record ("Five all-time hottest days") but the climate change link actually has merit due to the longer-term trend - e.g. "repeated, highly unusual heatwave activity in Australia in the last 10 years" and "The extreme dryness over the last 12 years...." Neither of these is conclusive evidence, and the article clearly says so. But a 10-12 year trend is stronger evidence than one year.

Now, if you can post videos of the arctic ice caps advancing instead of retreating for the next 10 years, then you'll be on to something....

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | February 10, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Jason, I think the models picked up on the snow bands pivoting southwest, just not for this long, which is what you meant in your comment. This neverending snow is getting ridiculous now, ya know?

I wonder if Steve T. remembers an event where this happened, it doesn't seem like it would be unprecedented in cases of rapidly deepening coastal lows, although it is pretty amazing.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

DLO - I figure we are about 5-7 inches behind in SE Frederick County. Not that it seems like much after plowing like forever. did you see the deer at your place after storm 1? The wild things have a long time until spring, now. That snow pack will be very hard for them.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Check out these cool aerial pix, posted by the US Park Service, that they took Sunday after Snowmageddon: http://uspppressroom.blogspot.com/

Posted by: lauraoev | February 10, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Re: redeveloping bands heading back southwest:
Snowverkill, Part Deux: Snooooow, Not again!

Posted by: paige_va | February 10, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Andrewrockville-
I hope you're joking. A lot of people don't have garages. You're right they should get the snow off. But it does take at least an hour or more just to do that and then you have to shovel. The whole thing is about a 3 hour job or more!

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

@Krosseel

Thanks, K. I'm rescheduling the trip, however.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

ultrapop101 wrote, "Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Q. Let's reconnect in the summer."

Much better! Downright witty. :)

But I fear you misunderstand the point I was trying to make. I didn't take issue with your assertion that "... because isolated storms are indicators of nothing ...". In fact, I agree fully with that statement. But I am not sure that Mr. Freedman does.

I took issue with this portion of your comment, "Quit trying to pick arguments/fights where none exists."

This very blog has been arguing the case for climate change by pointing to hot weather. This very blog. Where were you back then?

I find it amusing that so many people, who are standing neck deep in snow drifts, are quick to claim that one single storm or season either -
a. doesn't disprove the AGW hypothesis
or
b. proves the AGW hypothesis
or
c. rightly point out that individual weather events are not climate

Where were all of you when this very blog was pointing to high temperatures and screaming "GLOBAL WARMING"? Where were you then? Where were you people when this blog was used the horrible drought and fires in Australia, and all of the suffering of those people, to advance their climate change argument????

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 10, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
I can't believe I am saying this, but Doug Hill did! Go figure...

Posted by: Beachboy4ever | February 10, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

A few comments on other comments.
1. MD Transportion code 22-404 requires windshields to be clear. I don't see anything on point specifically about snow on a roof. However, 24-106 speaks generally that loads must be fastened and that the driver must clean up any debris they drop. I'd say that if you can prove the snow and ice are completely fastened, you could beat the ticket--but if anything flies off (or if the ice is melting) then you are in violation. And feel free to tell anyone whose snow falls onto the road to go back and clean it up.

2. Re: Albert Gore. I am pretty sure that the former vice president has never said that greenhouse gases would stop record snowfall from occurring. If anything, we would expect warmer temperatures to both cause greater record snowfalls because warmer atmosphere hold more water vapor, and decrease average snowfall as we see more winter rain. IPCC has long predicted increased snowfall over Antarctica, decreasing total sea level rise.
3. If you have gas hot water then if you lose power, the gas hot water heater remains a potential source of heat if you can devise a good way of capturing it. If you have 2-3 tubs, turning the hot water heater on high and filling the tubs (using the shower head) as frequently as you can without running out of hot water would be adviseable. Maybe fill the kitchen sink as well.
I am less enthusiastic about the idea of deliberately building up thermal inertia by overheating your house in anticipation of a possible power failure, especially given the roof-ice melt and ice damming that you risk.
Jim

Posted by: jimtitus1 | February 10, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

What has been the average asnow/water ratio we have seen in this storm, anyone? Its very light and fluffy at least...

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 10, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

@CWG -

Any idea where I can find a chart showing how the snow:liquid ratios change with the temperatures? Internet search didn't come up with anything useful.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know how low the barometric pressure got today? Also what is the lowest it can get or does get around these parts? Thanks in advance for any information. Great site everyone stay warm tonight.

Posted by: VAresident2 | February 10, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Andrew/Jason/CWG - Is the backforcing of the snow the result of the low hitting the gulf stream and just streaming out incredible bands of precip? Want to understand this, because it was amazing to watch on the radar and be outside in.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Hi JimTitus, nice to see you on here. How are you in your neck of the woods? And NJ?

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

@samdman95

We prefer for bold text to be used by members of the CWG

@Andrew-CWG

Of course it's common to have wrap around bands with intense cyclones and of course the models simulated them...but they didn't come close to getting the duration (or magnitude). And I can't recall as much wrap-around precip, for this long, and at this latitude, from other storms.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Just Looked at accuweather and they said the Saturday storm is going to the Outer Banks and we are 2 days out. So we are safe from that one.But Monday storm could be 4-8 inch storm.Guys whats up with that I have no room to put that snow!

Posted by: umpandref | February 10, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

when can we expect the next update?

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Milwaukee had snow for 30 hours before the storms came here. Was that the same sort of thing?

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@ lauraoev, cool pics! (She posted a link to US Park Police blog, http://uspppressroom.blogspot.com/). I wish they had put captions on the pics, there are places I know I should recognize, but they're so transformed by the snow I can't figure them out.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@jimtitus1

Good point. Thermal inertia is quickly wasted since the house follows an exponential decay. Of course the helps slow that process, but a house that is 82 just quickly speeds down in temperature fast approaching a house that is 70.
I have a bunch of wood, all cut myself, but have not burned a stick since the first storm started. If power goes at least we can keep warm with the woodstove. Or at least keep from freezing.

Posted by: AndrewRockville | February 10, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

hey this blog made Drudgereport

Posted by: panthersny | February 10, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

The barometer is 29.50 right now. You can find this out at the noaa.gov site. Type in your zip code and then below the map you will see the pressure. You can click on the 3 day history and a chart pops up that tells you the barometric pressure over a period of three days.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

You see what I mean Brian? You can NEVER presume to separate a discussion on GW from extraordinary weather events like this on a weather blog-to think otherwise is ridiculous!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

celestun100 much appreciated

Posted by: VAresident2 | February 10, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

RE: snow and cars: get a soft push broom, or if your cars are old like mine, a younger, more stiff one. It works like a charm and you are cleaned out, even on top, which is the most important for your fellow humans, in about 5 minutes per car or SUV. Works really well for tall vehicles. I'm 5'9 and have no problem just pushing it off.

The transportation code does allow ticketing, in fact, it a very painful ticket, under several sections. The police are a little too busy with accidents to deal with people who don't care about the rest of us.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

CWG-you all rock! This blog has made the weather so much more fun and interesting..especially while being trapped in the house with two kids under four!

Posted by: dcnative22 | February 10, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from driving around Oakton/Vienna and got pounded with heavy snow...was wondering where the heck it was all coming from?!

Posted by: voltron88x | February 10, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

@Mr_Q

WOW!!! We have never seen any AGW trolls here before! You are sure educating us poor dumb bastards!!

Oh yeah, one more thing...

climate ≠ weather

find a different blog-- this one has plenty of people willing to spar:

Posted by: h0db | February 10, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

What is AGW?

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Never mind, I figured it out. Also figured out that AndrewRockville was joking. Oops!

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I like a dust-mop to clean snow off the car. It's softer than a broom so no worries about scratching the paint job, although my car is now old enough that that's a moot point in my case. Still it's an efficient tool, long-handled, does the job in minutes.

Freezing rain, ice-encased car is another story, but thank God we didn't get that this time. I'll take snow and more snow any day, ice not so much.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm in college in central Vermont, and I'm almost certain that you've received more snow in DC than I have this year. It's too bad, since I've always been a snow fan and would have liked to experience this record-breaking winter. Of course, snow brings lots of problems with it, especially for those who were disadvantaged to begin with. We cannot forget such people.

I believe that global warming is occurring, but I don't see a problem with discussing GW within this comments section. This is not just one big snowfall; this is the highest seasonal snowfall ever on DC's official records. Haven't I heard somewhere that global warming can lead to more extreme weather events? Two 20+ inch snowfalls for much of the DC area in a single season is an extreme weather event, indeed.

I just hope we get some real snow here in Vermont. It's sad to walk to class amidst brown grass and gravel, lovely a campus as Middlebury is. Looks like we're just too far away from the predominant storm track.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | February 10, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable. It won't let go. Now I know how Jack Nicholson felt in "The Shining". I'm about to blow a gasket.

Snow coming from the north now????? My gawd, just go away.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 10, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

AGW is the acronym for anthropogenic global warming. It is the hypothesis of catastrophic, man made global warming.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | February 10, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

h0db: sorry for the double post, but your tone is not helping the discussion. And keep in mind that climate relates to long-term weather patterns, so weather certainly has a role in it.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | February 10, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Mr Q, et al, please we are here to discuss the currently posted topic or discussion, or what have you. IF someone makes a passing reference, or a joke about GW, pro or con, that isn't your cue to jump in with your opinions on the subject. No one here cares about my opinion on GW, and conversely, no one gives a rats about yours. There are plenty of topics (Andrew's) posted here and other places on the internet for you to engage in a vigorous debate.

Posted by: bendersx6 | February 10, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

even if there is a global cooling right now on a smaller scale, it doesn't mean global warming doesn't exist on a larger scale. think stock market variations and a gradual overall increase with minor ups and downs along the way. not saying any of the climate events i'm stating exist, though. i wouldn't be surprised if we're entering a small cool cycle even if the global warming does exist on the large scale.

Posted by: swishjobs | February 10, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Chicken Lady - great tip, thanks, I never thought of that. Gleaming paint isn't a problem now, especially in the new economy, so push away I go.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

It's still snowing and very windy in Aspen Hill at 8:20 pm

Posted by: B-rod | February 10, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Just stepped outside in Logan, and it's a steady snow albeit with small flakes. Wind is intense as well.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

is anyone aware of a more recent total at DCA?

Posted by: novajeffc | February 10, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Kburchfiel, most people blogging here are not as insightful or perceptive as you are!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

LOL - Sandman 95 - quit whining. And, stop using BOLD text, it's for the pros that are trying to educate you on weather matters.

You Global Warming hystericals make me laugh. Ha Ha Ha Ha

Posted by: HolyMoley | February 10, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it time to update the blog? This snow is NOT STOPPING. Is this band going away soon? Any word on accumulations since 4PM? Hard to tell with all this blowing...

Posted by: NewzJunkie | February 10, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Any comments from the cwg about the Monday storm. Accuweather said 4-8 inches.Also does anyone know what Fairfax schools are going to do about geting back to school what do you think Monday or when next week.
Anyone have any knowledge.

Posted by: umpandref | February 10, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

RE: Jeff Masters' blog. Lots of stuff there, that is not on point here. His hurricane forecasts are amazing, if you have any interest, check it out in July. It has kept me awake too late, many a night.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Jason: "I do not recall ever seeing a scenario like this and the models missed it. No forecasters predicted snow heading southward thru the metro region after 7 p.m. We've all missed this."

Speak for yourself. Using my "Civil War" weather-modeler, running under the Bad Analogy OS on a Terminal Cabin Fever platform, I was able to predict at 1627 EST that Washington would eventually clear from the north, not the west:

"Or maybe it's Robert E. Lee, camped on the very doorstep of the Union. If so, the sun needs to sneak on up the Shenandoah Valley and try attacking from the north."

Please, please, don't mind the radiance. Squint if necessary.

Posted by: Groff | February 10, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until all we have to talk about here is a garden-variety thunderstorm! Sick, sick, sick to death of snow...

Posted by: natsncats | February 10, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Holy moley and Mr. Q, you're right. its cold. global warming doesnt exist. Its a liberal lie to get us all to let the socialist muslim president take over the world while good people like sarah palin lose their jobs.

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing here in Olney, Md.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 10, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

There appears to be a pretty serious band of weather heading towards the area. Am I reading the map wrong?

Posted by: keithrjackson | February 10, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ Groff :D

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I stayed away from the comment sections that were supposed to be about today's storm today because I found it a pain to wade through the CW comments, many which were unpleasant.
Sorry to see they are still so prevalent.

I was wondering if UPS would be back at it tomorrow? How do services like that get through all this mess? Are their vehicles equipped? (I am very ignorant regarding all things automotive. I have no clue)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 10, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Groff:

We would like to arrange a surrender. You know how to get to Appomattox?

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | February 10, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually, benders, you're full of it and yourself-because a discussion on GW is absolutely relevant here, you just aren't bright enough to perceive that, particularly given that we are in the middle of the most extraordinary weather event or sequence ever seen in DC, most likely-so the topic is RIPE for discussion on THIS blog-pro OR con!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

snowlover2 - unfortunately, blog administrator is an intern, waiting to be hired. Soon, hopefully

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

OK, I know we won't know anything solid about Monday until the weekend, but now that the speculation has been raised, some detail of what we do know would be nice. Yesterday CWG was saying ten days without snow (after this storm). And now? What?

Posted by: motc | February 10, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Groff, I would like to sign up for your newsletter.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | February 10, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

looking at the radar, it seems as if the storm is just hovering over dc. CWG, do you have any idea when this will end?

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

My post about thermal inertia (preheating your abode) was mostly directed at those with well insulated modern apartments that do not experience the problems of ice damming, large holes in insulation or gaps under doorways. (small, well insulated spaces will tend to heat quickly and retain their heat better than a larger house) Of course, with a larger dwelling, certainly the increase in indoor temperature would be both energy intensive, inefficient, and probably not worth the ice damming risk. With that said, in times like theses even duct tape around window panes and towels under doors might be necessary and effective should the power go out.
Also, one more don't: do not use your oven, gas ranges, as heating devices!

Posted by: genestad | February 10, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I mentioned in today's chat that it is notoriously difficult to predict the details of rapidly intensifying storms ("bombs"). The bust on the recurrent wrap around bands is another example of that truism. Even today's most advanced state-of-the-art operational weather models cannot fully resolve the complexities of the relevant atmospheric processes. Yes, the models can "simulate" banding, but that's not the same as accurately predicting the where and when.

The single most impressive case of recurring bands and snow I've experienced was February 1969 in the Boston area. Unlike the present case, this continued for several days as the low remained virtually stationary off the coast. Each of several rounds of bands would normally be considered a significant snowstorm in and of themselves. I recall walking from my dorm to class in Cambridge between huge drifts well over my head.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Good one Samdaman, yuck, yuck, yuck. How you managed to pull Sarah Palin into the discussion. Perhaps she emasculates you? Certainly she handles a little snow better than you! Ha ha ha.

Posted by: HolyMoley | February 10, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@DRC231

Actually, when the hurricane season has ended, Jeff Masters talks about all weather phenomonon, including this storm and its possible relationship (or not) with GW. From today's blog:

/quote
Heavy snow events--a contradiction to global warming theory? As I discussed in my previous post, record-breaking snowstorms are not an indication that global warming is not occurring. In fact, we can expect there may be more heavy snowstorms in regions where it is cold enough to snow, due to the extra moisture global warming has added to the atmosphere--an extra 4% since 1970. Snow is not the same as cold, and we have to look at global temperatures, not snowfall, to evaluate whether global warming is occurring. [more]/endquote

Apologies for the tone of my earlier reply--I just get tired of the tone of many of the GW posts, pro and con. I should not have compounded it.

Posted by: h0db | February 10, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

arrabbiato - you seem to thrive on ad hominem attacks which, as any good debater knows, are the refuge of those who finally have nothing to say.
Reminds me of a saying my grandfather was fond of: "You can't argue with ignorance."

Posted by: bodypolitic1 | February 10, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I updated my season totals to 77.9375"

Winds sound fairly loud, especially to my south towards Chester Gap. 19.9F

Posted by: spgass1 | February 10, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Just went for a 10 minute walk outside in Burke. Brutally cold out there. Very windy and blowing light snow. I would have liked to have watched it some more but my face started freezing up. The plows are still working the street and there were 2 cars that went by. The only thing I could figure why they would be out is that they must have run out of beer, lol. It is just not the type of weather you want to be out and about in.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | February 10, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

From the looks of the radar, this latest band of snow isn't disappearing anytime soon. Interesting that Baltimore appears to be getting nothing, but DC is stuck in a rut of moderate snow. Any ideas how long this will continue, and how much "extra" accumulation we're talking?

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 10, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

@h0db

Thanks for the Masters quote, and for taking the high road. I'll check out that blog....

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Arrabbiato -

I would add that knowledge begins with the discovery of ignorance.

Posted by: HolyMoley | February 10, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: krosseel | February 10, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Jason - I can't think of an example with such a long duration or amount of precip being thrown this far back either, not in DC anyway, but I do recall a similar event or two in Boston involving major ocean storms. I will be interested to see what meteorology grad students do with this one...

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

H0db - Thanks - I kind of turn off around Nov. 15 from there, but I do a good bit of fishing on the outer banks and his forecasts are invaluable in the fall. I will check back in. The best thing about that blog is that people are decent to each other, which is why I really like this one. Let's hope the washington smart$@# mindset doesn't poison a really neat project. These guys have done great job here and I really respect the community.

Posted by: drc231 | February 10, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

bodypolitic-I guess you're not listening to yourself, then, because only nitwits pontificate about others, and then do the exact same things themselves-ha ha ha!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

@ bodypolitic1 you're right. you can not argue with ignorance

Posted by: samdman95 | February 10, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Still snowing heavily in Thomas Circle

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 10, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised at the bickering. To me it seems like arguing about "intelligent design", or whether the Nazis really killed 6 million Jews, or whether Barack Obama is actually a U.S. citizen or not. Or whether aliens caused this snowstorm so they could shut down the world's only super-power and take over the planet. Duh. Some arguments just aren't worth engaging in.

Don't feed the trolls, that's what I say.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 10, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, stick with chickens, lady, that seems to be your forte.

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

and sandman-you too are one bright bulb-I can't argue with YOUR ignorance, that's for sure!

Posted by: arrabbiato | February 10, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

arrabbiato -

The problem with discussions of AGW in weather threads is that it clogs up a thread with "LOL@ALGORE" remarks and rebuttals. For people, like me, who come here to read about the weather and it's effects on the area, this is a pain.

Posted by: mason08 | February 10, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd really prefer if these weather posts are not hijacked by global warming discussions. Thanks.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 10, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

CWG - Just FYI, when I typed in "NWS Washington" into GOOGLE, the CWG blog was first! Nice SEO guys :)

Posted by: genestad | February 10, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Here is a link to some amazing snow pictures, found on the Fox 5 DC website. Love or hate snow, these are some amazing shots!

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 10, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the Local Closings will be updated? Most of them still show Wednesday rather than Thursday. Is there any word on DC government closing with tomorrow's weather?

You guys have been a real life saver through this.

Posted by: Fabrisse | February 10, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

@cvilleSnowMan

I just saw your reply. The Australian drought was caused by the IOD. The Australian fire(s) was/were caused by arson. Go back and read Mr. Freedman's column again and look for the acronym IOD or the words Indian Ocean Dipole, or the word arson. Good luck.

But if you reject that CWG column, there's more. Try this one -
A Treasure Trove of U.S. Weather Records - Climate Warming Reveals Itself on Web Site

It is all about heat records during the 2008 year. It is tagged "climate change" and the title is "Climate Warming Reveals Itself on Web Site".

Not only were they trying to use one year to prove global warming, they were using only the U.S. temperature record!!

Where were you people back then???

Mr. Q.