The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:45 PM ET, 02/ 5/2010

Snowstorm blossoming, some sleet south

By Jason Samenow

Snowmageddon just getting going

* Blizzard Warning for D.C. and eastern suburbs (see map) *
* Winter Storm Warning through late Saturday evening (elsewhere) *
* Dangerous conditions, 12"+ expected overnight | Accumulations so far *
* Can you out-forecast us? Take the "Top the Pros" guessing poll *
* NOAA urges safety | Biggest ever? | Today's Q&A | Driving tips *
* What to eat during the storm? | CWG on Facebook & Twitter *
* Follow storm on twitter: #Snowpocalypse | E-mail update to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

sat-snowmageddon.jpg
Infrared image of storm from 6:30 p.m. Courtesy NASA.

The intensity of snow has continued to gradually increase this evening. Snowfall rates should at least persist at current levels if not increase. Rates of between 1-3" per hour are likely overnight. By morning (over the next twelve hours), most places in the metro region should pick up another 10-12 inches of snow, with locally higher amounts. Another 4-8" is possible during the day Saturday. We continue to expect total accumulations of 16-26". Temperatures are holding right around freezing which is making this a heavy, wet snow. Unfortunately, that may increase the risk of power outages as the night wears on (although temperatures should start dropping off some more after midnight), especially with winds increasing.

So far, most areas have picked up 3-6", with locally heavier amounts to the northwest and southwest of the immediate metro area. From Fredericksburg to Charlottesville, Va., there have been reports of sleet. Some sleet may advance northward and mix with snow in southern and eastern suburbs through around midnight, but the predominant precipitation type for the most of the metro region should be snow.

By Jason Samenow  | February 5, 2010; 7:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Snowmageddon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blizzard warning expanded west to D.C.
Next: Heavy snow and wind plastering metro region

Comments

That infrared image looks almost identical to the March 1993 storm.

Posted by: bdeco | February 5, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: samdman95 | February 5, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Some website/server issues due to traffic or is it my connection?

I'm waiting for the snow bands to come in from the south and east.... and a visible radar cyclone to form in the atlantic, any ideas when that will happen?

Posted by: markinva2 | February 5, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Been taking pictures from a tripod mounted camera - I got as much snow from 6:45 to 7:45 as I did the entire rest of the day. We've got about five inches here in the northern part of Howard County, MD (just west of Baltimore, just north of Columbia).

Posted by: Sanya2135 | February 5, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sanya2135 | February 5, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Woot! Take that Knickerbocker!

Posted by: OMGPonies | February 5, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

markinva2, I think it's the site getting a tad overwhelmed.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | February 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I believe there are some traffic problems with the website tonight, it was hard to get back on this page. Really snowing hard here in Alex. Went out for a walk and the roads are very slick.

Posted by: letitsnow | February 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

a) On NBC Nightly News, Tom Costello mentioned this snowstorm is being referred to as Snowpocalypse and also Snowmageddon.

b) for a quite a while it was very difficult to read comments, and given the problems with cross-postings, there may have been some tech issues.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Fredericksburg? It looks to me like the sleet line is darn close to Manassas! How will this affect totals in southern PW, Stafford, etc.?

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

How funny that the Wizards played the New York Knickerbockers on Wednesday, and lost. In light of that result, my storm prediction is 27 inches.

Posted by: bdeco | February 5, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Shoveled out my car and sidewalk. Snow is very wet underneath, not so wet on top.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, this is all very cute and funny until power lines start snapping, tree branches falling on power line posts, and people taking care of the elderly, sick and/or infants are stuck without heat and power for days.

Posted by: ElmoL1 | February 5, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I sent this to the old post, so I'll do it again here...

Did I read earlier in this blog about a low offshore? where is it? The 7:39PM EST surface map from TWC still shows a big "H" right off the Delmarva (the folks there could probably even see the bottom of the "H": it's really big and blue)

Posted by: MikeinDC2 | February 5, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh how I wish I was watching this storm out the window of a ski lodge rather than my apartment!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from a walk here in McLean. Still above freezing, and every time I stopped I could hear water dripping. Not so confident about record depth anymore. About 3 inches on the ground in Pimmit Hills.

Posted by: wiredog | February 5, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I had trouble accessing the comments section a while ago, too.

Very considerate of the impending blizzard conditions to stay on the other side of the river and not sneak over to Arlington... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 5, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

@Elmol1: Thanks for putting such a fun spin on the whole thing!

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

SO ITS SNOW SLEET AND NOW SNOW ARE THE TOTALS GOING TO BE LESS DOWN CVILE,MADISON?? LOOKS LIKE WE ARE ON THE LINE

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Instead of just reporting my snowfall depth at Oakton, which is 7" at 7:46pm, I thought I'd include a photo:

I shoveled an area in my backyard this morning and mounted a yardstick so I can chart the accumulation as the storm progresses.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cjespn | February 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing to beat the band here in the City of Manassas. Shoveling the side walk is a lost cause at this point.

Just heard 66 and 95 have been closed. Has anyone else heard that?

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Also, French Toast Alert is High

Posted by: wiredog | February 5, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

2.5 inches so far here in Manassas...about to go out for shovel the steps round one.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

CWG - what's our take on the temperatures? So far it's been holding at 31.3 here in Thomas Circle - but officially DC is showing 34. Will the temperatures drop once the coastal low takes over?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Metro:

BUS service to end at 9pm, completely shut down tomorrow.

ABOVE-GROUND rail service to end at 11pm, completely shut down tomorrow.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 5, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Here in Arlington's Fairlington we lost several evergreen tree branches due to weight and ice - heard strong cracks when we arrived home about 20 minutes ago. The layer of slush made driving slippery in my rear-wheel drive. That's it for driving for hopefully a long long time. Stay warm and safe. Let it snow!

Posted by: Surgadibumi | February 5, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

If it drops to 27 tonight won't this wet snow be frozen ice??

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

UNDERGROUND metro service to operate until 3am, with regular Saturday service.

BTW, I don't work for Metro -- they just announced it on Fox 5 DC.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 5, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

95 and 66 are not closed per VDOT http://511virginia.org/Conditions.aspx?r=1, but they do have lane closures and shoulder closures due to multiple accidents on both. More reason to STAY HOME.

Posted by: drmammal | February 5, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

@wiredog The French Toast Alert System is sweet, crispy awesome.

Posted by: mensan98th | February 5, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Screw the Knickerbocker - we're taking aim at the Washington-Jefferson blizzard of 1772, 36" at Mount Vernon.

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 5, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Band headed into DC now is rocking on radar.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Just got back walking to/from our new Green Turtle sports bar in Leebsurg - had a great dinner and the snow is flying. Rate of snowfall is much greater than when we walked over at about 5:00. Good wind gusts too. Maybe 5" on the ground. Gotta love it.

Posted by: TerpInTime | February 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

My apartment in Ballston overlooks 66, and there are still a few cars going by.

Posted by: ericaerica1 | February 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Wind picking up in Fairfaz and snow falling faster. I shoveled around 6:00, looks like at least one inch, maybe 1.5 since then.

Posted by: greyK | February 5, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

@DR,

Thanks.

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Snowing hard enough now that I just lost satellit signal...this is NOT a good thing....

*sigh*

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

ready for 90 degrees and humidity

Posted by: TGT11 | February 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

7 inches on our deck (9 if you include the two left over from Tuesday) in Gainesville.

Posted by: jaradel | February 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

is anyone else really worried about the temperatures? They haven't really dropped that much (or at all)

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cjespn | February 5, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Laurel, MD and we haven't gotten any snow in the past three hours. Looks like it might not be as bad as expected.

Posted by: gsteff | February 5, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

bring it!

Posted by: misschatter | February 5, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

6.5" in South Springfield

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 5, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@Brian-CapitalWeatherGang

I'm with you. At least I'm 18 stories up and facing the District. A little bit ago, I was able to look across the Potomac at Georgetown, but not now.

I hope my little snippets are acceptable.

Excerpts from Winter Night with apologies to Boris Pasternak

It snowed and snowed, the whole world over,
Snow swept the world from end to end.

All things vanished within
The snowy murk-white, hoary.

It snowed hard throughout the month
Of February, and almost constantly

PS – Thanks for the great job you and your CWG associates are doing.

Posted by: djm-01 | February 5, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

6" measured on south side of Rockville. Averaged just over 1"/hr since 7:00.

Posted by: DOG3521 | February 5, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Either someone is full of it, or this storm is very localized. I am in Silver Spring and haven't seen any snow since 7 PM. I shoveled at 5 PM and it is still pretty much clear.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

about 7.5 near oatlands s of leesburg

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

CWG (jason),
thanks so much for the "new post" heads up on the last post.

just shoveled a path from my front door to the street. this snow is AWESOME snowball snow. and it is so dense. the 3" or so i shoveled is easily as much as the 6" we got from the storm before last.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

About 6 inches in N. Potomac and we are on the verge of the intense band cjespn referred to. Winds are continuing to shift from SE to E.

Posted by: SirBeeda | February 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

check out dominion's power outage map! power outages are starting to pop up! http://outagemap.dom.com/DomComFlexOutageViewer/index.html

Posted by: snowedin85 | February 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

6 inches in Olney at 8:15 pm

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@gsteff I am in Laurel, and it has been coming down for hours.

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 5, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Any reports from Fredericksburg of sleet?? Just heard from TWC that it was sleeting there..?..

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 5, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

At least 5.5" in Falls Church/McLean.

Posted by: elizestrada | February 5, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody worried about this turning into rain?

Posted by: cbvd | February 5, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

@cbvd No, unless you live in southern virginia

Posted by: samdman95 | February 5, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Mother Nature didn't stop me from cranking up the grille on the deck and cooking a New York strip here in Oakton. However, I did have to brush snow off the tongs and the aluminum foil covered platter (after all, a good steak should have the opportunity to rest).

I can't see my footprints to the grille anymore.

Posted by: MillPond2 | February 5, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Snowing big fat flakes like crazy near Eisenhower Avenue Metro. The apartment complex folks are trying to clear the sidewalks and just can't keep up with it. Guy across the street building a snowman with his dog. Can't believe this is going on all night and the best is yet to come!

Posted by: AlexandriaAnna | February 5, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Metro above-ground service to stop @ 11pm tonight and not resume until AT LEAST Sunday.

Posted by: nclee | February 5, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I know TWC is animated and so not the best source but their radar is so pretty and user friendly...but is it accurate?

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

About 3" here near the Bay Bridge, AA county side, in a sheltered location that had no snow left from the last storm.

Posted by: RandC | February 5, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

7.75" in eastern Warren Co. 25.9F. Storm coverage is intense with FOX5 and CBS9 going all out.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I THINK ARE POSTS ARE BEING IGNORGD DOWN HERE 6"1/2 SO FAR IN MADISON

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Latest from Dumfries: 5 inches and going strong. Just got in from shoveling the driveway, sidewalk, and front walk. I put the yardstick in the front yard to remind myself not to put snow there and to hopefully track progress.

Note to Mother Nature: Is that all you got honey?!? BRING IT ON!!

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 5, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax City/GMU: Just cleared 7.5" from my sidewalks and driveway. Also helped push some poor student with bald tires off my corner a couple hours ago (I hope he got home) and watched a heavy plow get stuck in front of my house (took another plow and 30 minutes to get him out). Based on where I started, I'm betting that we're getting 1-1.5 inches an hour right now.

Posted by: figgy_va | February 5, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

My girlfriend and I just walked our Lab in Ballston and I took the opportunity to take a few photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephdangelo/sets/72157623361060908/detail/

The snow is sticking and accumulating quite well on tree branches as you can see, and the streets here are getting good accumulation - I'd estimate at least two inches on Quincy Street (a side street) and an inch of slick slush on Wilson Blvd (a main thoroughfare).

Plows and trucks treating the roads are out and there is a noticable difference between treated and untreated roads; however, the snow is accumulating quickly and even treated roads do not look like they wil be in condition after this band passes through.

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | February 5, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm convinced that there are some folks wouldn't believe it is snowing if it was falling on their face.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

@samdman95 Please stop spamming with that facebook link.

Posted by: TheTim | February 5, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Here in Columbia, MD it's been snowing for awhile, but, all that falls is extremely wet. At the current rate, there is a chance we get a foot, but, much more seems unlikely. Our road coverage practically melts away when it is walked upon.

Posted by: nchres1 | February 5, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm enjoying the view from 15 floors up above Rockville Pike at Montrose Rd. Traffic is very light and going very very slowly... very wisely. I'm a huge snow lover, but the lights did flicker here for a moment, and that would just be no good at all!

Posted by: salf | February 5, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Heading out soon to do the first shovel in my neck of Centreville (north of 29, off of 28, on the Dulles side). It's been coming down pretty steadily since the 4pm hour. Will report back...Just had to rest from cleaning my living room carpet. Forgot how heavy that SteamVac is. Dang. I'd rather shovel, I think

Posted by: bobosnow | February 5, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Just north of Del Ray - *sigh* sometimes I wish I still lived out in Fairfax... I'd guestimate we have around 2-3 inches here w/moderate snow. Big fat flakes though. The road behind my building is covered, but not too bad. Still lots of people out driving, walking, even saw one guy riding a bicycle!

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 5, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Snowfall rate and wind just spiked up here in North Arlington.

Posted by: LouLewis | February 5, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

@ZmanVA: I live in F'Burg and it has been sleeting here for the last hour or so.

Posted by: tridentbulldog | February 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

7.25" on the Snow Collection Platform of Science in Dunn Loring (22027) as of 8:15, so about 1" / hour since 7:00. Gonna have to break out the yardstick soon!

Posted by: kedzie | February 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Everyone staying safe? Please watch out as this storm really ramps up for the next 12 hours (or more).

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Old Town - still steady, dense snowfall; bigger flakes now. Surely >1" per hour now with about 3" on the ground already. Getting windier, but nothing dramatic. Temp holding steady at about 35F in my yard.

Posted by: TonyWolfe | February 5, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Looking at intellicast radar it appears the rain/snow line has been advancing north quite rapidly. I think totals will be much below forecast for DC south.

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 5, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice photos, JoeThePhotographer. Thanks for sharing. Snow coming down fast & furious here in southwestern HoCo..looks like more shoveling is in order soon.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 5, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Pouring snow. Measured 2 inches accumulation in last 90 minutes. Temp right at 32 & steady. Some brief very gusty winds.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 5, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Close to the Vienna Metro: Just back from shoveling and it's getting nasty out there. This is heavy wet snow with slush at the bottom and the stuff the plows are churning up is going to be solid ice by morning. If you're taking one of the last trains out of the city, be careful getting home from the station.

Posted by: waltraud82 | February 5, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

snowing like an absolute FIEND s of leesburg

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

From my observations and the above posts, it looks like Prince George/Montgomery/Howard counties are getting FAR less snow than Northern Virginia.

Posted by: stuckman | February 5, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

The snow is blowing in cyclonic directions all over the place here in Reston. Get ready folks, I am prepared to finally venture forth, and stake my claim in Snowmageddon's wrath!

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 5, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Yup...7" in Oakton sounds about right. I just ventured down into the backyard (where the snow from the last storm had not yet melted) to brush off the satellite dish, and was nearly up to my knees in snow. Don't quite know how we're going to keep the satellite clean once the really heavy stuff hits!

Posted by: paige_va | February 5, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

An hour or so ago, a guy was walking in slow circles in the middle of the intersection by our house. Looked pretty drunk (had a bottle in his hand). Also looked pretty happy. He's not out there now (no, I didn't hear an ambulance), but WOW, are the big, fat flakes coming down.

Posted by: mensan98th | February 5, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Snowing heavily here too in downtown DC. Around 32. Snowfall rate approaching 2" an hour. Thanks for all your reports in Virginia, folks!

dvorak9, the radar computer algorithm is malfunctioning. Ignore its depiction of rain/snow/mix line. It is not advancing north of Fredericksburg.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Large tree branch just came down in McLean.

Posted by: allisondt | February 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Great pictures, JoeThe Photographer! Thanks for posting them.

Anyone else suffering from the drop in barometric pressure? My head has been killing me all day.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Just a comment...that satellite image: I used to be in charge of the generation of that image as a grad. student. Much love, CWG!

Posted by: captmrwill | February 5, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

One thing I absolutely love about snow, is the quiet...
walking around for 15 minutes in the woods is just so peaceful
at 8 inches

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

tridentbulldog - thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully this'll not creep any closer and that it'll transition back to snow where you're at.. Keep us updated..

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Snowlover :) My girlfriends been suffering a pretty bad headache all day from it too and the steel plate in my head has been throbbing (as it does with pressure drops). You're not alone...

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | February 5, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

300 sq feet:

Your 31.4 is probably because of evaporative cooling on your sensor. I'm in your 'hood and snow is now sloughing off long-parked vehicles. That means it's above freezing, and that is really eating into the District totals downtown.

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

about 5 in northern alex, 395 at king st... we have a 50 ft pine that is about to loose it's battle with the snow and wind and is going to snap. It's reallllllly leaning.

Posted by: AnneinSand | February 5, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow now in Herndon. Heaviest I've seen snow, I think. I shoveled the driveway an houra go and there seems to be a couple inches on there already.

LOL at those who thought this would only stick to grass and cars.

Posted by: markinva2 | February 5, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

mandarb77, i love the peaceful nature of snow too :)

captmrwill, thanks for a great image--you sound like partial-inventor of it ;)

Snowlover2, I've heard people suffer from ailments in these severe storms - definitely not out of the question. Since this storm is very strong. The pressure will continue to fall.

allisondt, yikes tree branches are down already?! not good. Early in the storm too. Ugh. And Charlottesville folks have lost power I just heard. Man oh man :(

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

By the way, the best comment ever on these boards came from one of the CWG. During December, one of you guys said "We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

My wife and I laughed about this for the next couple of weeks. Very appropriate! (and a wonderful Jaws reference.)

Posted by: guild370 | February 5, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JoeThePhotographer | February 5, 2010 8:23 PM

-------------------------------------------
Mojo's a handsome dude!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 5, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

31.8 with heavy snow in Sterling. Here's hoping that dry slot to the west does not reach our area.

Bombogenesis, anyone? (El Bombo?) OBX pressure reading at 29.70".

Posted by: Sterlingva | February 5, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Made another pass over the driveway in Falls Church. Still heavy, wet snow. 3" last time and about 4 this time. Way I figure that's 7 less to shovel tomorrow. Pedestrians walking around....plows are out too, not a good mix. Walter should be able to sculpt an entire amusement park with this snow.

Posted by: tbva | February 5, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

markinva2, I'm hearing lots of complaints about snowfall rate surpassing shovelling rates! While I know it seems futile, I am glad you are doing it in smaller increments versus waiting till the end of the storm when it will be very challenging and stressful to shovel.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

the wife, though a little late with submission, goes for

snowtopia

because why does the name have to have a negative connotation?

....Snowhalla... with a few valkeries

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

6.5 inches in Kensington, MD, most of that since 4:30 pm. 30F, wind starting to kick up.

Posted by: h0db | February 5, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

almost 5" out front here in Manassas. Just did my first shovel of the night...while listening to the neighbors argue out in front of their place with their son nad his girlfriend. (Do some folks assume that if there is a snow storm brewing outside it is OK to air your dirty laundry for the entire neighborhood to hear???) Anyhow, I digress. While the snow is "wet" it is still pretty easy to move around. I am hoping to be able to stay at least even with it enough so as not to end up breaking either my back or my shovel tomorrow.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Snowing at rates of 2 inches per hour now. We have 5-6 inches here in upper NW DC and the winds are 10-15 mph. I expect there to be 18 inches on ground by 6am.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 5, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

pmichales - The temperature on my thermometer just dropped, albeit slightly, to 31.0. Just took the dog out - no slow falling off cars, about 4 inches of fresh snow in Thomas Circle. . .

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@gsteff

I don't know where you are in Laurel... here at my apartment it has been snowing steadily since around noon!

Posted by: megamuphen | February 5, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

CWG- Do you expect the temperatures to drop, at least a little, once the coastal gets cranking??

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I think someone must have paid off the plows, because they've been through the neighborhood twice already in McLean and it generally takes them at least two days to reach my dead end street. In other news, we have about five inches at the moment and it has really picked up in the past twenty minutes.

Posted by: HokieTerp | February 5, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where current position of low pressure is and what MB?

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 5, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Keep your reports coming! love hearing local totals.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Moderate snow in Adams Morgan, 4-1/2" to 5" so far.

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. Either that was lightning I just saw in Kensington, or transformers are blowing up. (Yes, I know I would have heard a transformer blowing...)

Posted by: Fab5Mama | February 5, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Its been snowing in downtown Silver Spring for hours now. Started sticking 4 hours ago.

Posted by: Tess89 | February 5, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

While I was out shoveling the underlayer of heavy slush just now, I'm sure I heard some thunder. I also think I saw lightning a little earlier. Riverdale, MD.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 5, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

An interesting note to this entire storm, my trail camera has curiously been flashing away some lately. I noticed some deer and rabbit prints in the area after our last snowfall, and usually I see the raccoons most active when snow is on the ground. You know this is going to be a big snow when they're becoming more brazenly active to find and store food (I even found a squirrel buried underneath our December 19th snowfall, a month later after it melted. It froze to death). Maybe I'll get some nice photos of the wildlife in the snow here this time around.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 5, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

so is this thing on schedule?

Posted by: celestun100 | February 5, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I live about 4 miles west of Tysons...Just came in from my second driveway shoveling...the snow is so heavy, I think I sound like Monica Seles at Wimbledon out there...so much for a quiet snowfall...

Have a bit of an odd question ( my mind tends to ponder ludicrous concepts while shoveling)...

CWG:
Is there a way to determine pounds of snowfall, if given square footage and depth (assuming we can guestimate the snow "density" for lack of better meteorological understanding?

I'm just curious if I'm getting a good workout or a slipped disk=)Thanks!

Posted by: Annetastic | February 5, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

It is snowing here in Columbia, but I would not call it 'heavy'. It seems to consist of fine ice particulates and it seems to be melting.

Posted by: 1Reader | February 5, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

AJ, as of about and hour ago, the low is near the NC/SC border at around 998mb, new obs will be out in about 15 minutes though

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, we don't have that much accumulation yet - it looked like about 4 inches on most of my walkway and the sidewalk. But DANG, it's heavy, wet snow. Much, much more compact than the last big storm. I dug out the driveway, sidewalks, walk, porch: did myself proud. But it was a workout! I'm glad I didn't let the lower total snowcover fool me into complacency.

I cannot imagine we'll get more than 16 inches total, even if a foot falls tonight. And it is coming down at around an inch an hour: the half hour I shoveled saw roughly a half-inch of back fill on the walk. Definitely impressive rate of precip. But the air feels different than last time: kind of wet and laden instead of snapping cold.

I suppose I'll just have to be impressed when I wake up tomorrow! And make the spouse wield the shovel for the next pass. . .

Posted by: BadMommy1 | February 5, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just shoveled about 4 1/2" in Crystal City and it was wet and heavy and still coming down as fast as I could move it.

There is definitely going to be some power outages throughout the area tomorrow.

Posted by: singleseatbiggermeat | February 5, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

In Centreville, VA. Our driveway must be considerably warmer than our sidewalk. At 3:30 I shoveled about 1.5" off the sidewalk, but the driveway was still bare. Around 4:00 the snow started sticking on the driveway. At 8:00 I measured about 3.5" on our driveway and 5.5" on the sidewalk, so a total of 7" as of 8:00. And everything was covered with snow again within 5 minutes of clearing it.

Posted by: misskaren1 | February 5, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Just came down Route 1 (Outback's still open!) in Huntington and there are quite a few cars sliding and barely making it up the hill. We were in 4WD (driven by native Minnesotians) and even we slid every turn.

Be careful. It doesn't look that bad at first glance but all that slush from earlier plus the wet snow is making it really slippery.

Posted by: kallieh | February 5, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

No sleet in north Stafford..snowing very hard at least 5 or 6 inches. Temps holding steady at 32 which is a little concerning.

Posted by: tjack55 | February 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Awesome photos Joe! I've put up a few that I've taken. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vcheeseman/sets/72157623361199912/

Posted by: ana_b | February 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

About to post another video. Snow falling in Old Town Leesburg of about 1.5 - 2 inches per hour! Wind is starting to pick up. Very wet snow!!!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

wow, just had a plow come through and within 2 minutes the whole path of pavement that he'd cleared was totally white again.

Posted by: AnneinSand | February 5, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

May have spoken too soon for dry slot in Charlottesville. Starting to look for matches & flashlights.

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | February 5, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Between 5 to 6 inches in Lake Ridge.. Snowing hard.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 5, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

snowing hard enough to cause the outside light, funning on motion sensors, to turn on....

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 5, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

@Snowlover2 and JoethePhotographer -- Count me into the headache camp too. I put the advil bottle out on the kitchen counter.

Oh, and Joe -- wonderful photos!

Just took a little snow walk and it looks like 5-6 inches near Eisenhower Avenue Metro.

Posted by: AlexandriaAnna | February 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Now finally some heavy snow in Silver Spring. Still only 2 inches since 6 PM.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Have to have cleared half a foot in Alexandria near Eisenhower Metro. Coming down at a fairly solid pace.

@CWG: Should we expect the rate of snowfall the accelerate in the next several hours?

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Just came in from sledding with my son. Heard some large branches coming down off in the woods. We're pushing a 12"+ so far in Winchester. Looking forward to seeing what 2"-3"/hour looks like later tonight. Time to settle in and watch a movie.

Posted by: egad1 | February 5, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Really coming down hard in Bailey's Crossroads now. About 4 inches so far.

Posted by: jochpo | February 5, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Reston - Thunder/Snow about 30 mins ago

Posted by: 125WMARION | February 5, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Moderate snow in Adams Morgan has turned to heavy within the past 10 minutes or so.

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Crofton MD 8:55pm

4.5" of snow. Coming down pretty good now.

2" an hour for next 12 hours would be pretty nice.

All I want is my 30" and then I'll be happy ;-)

Posted by: Vingold | February 5, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

About 5.75 inches in Chevy Chase DC. A little tree in front of my house was bending almost to the ground with the weight of the wet snow. I gave it a nice shake, most of the snow fell off, and the tree sprung back to upright. I guess I'll be doing that a few more times!

Posted by: hrs123 | February 5, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

STATREP: I now have my gear on, including my snowshoes, goggles, mask, gloves, and everything else. My Husky keeps checking out the window, and running back to me with a huge smile on her face. The smaller ones are going to have to stay in until we can dig them an area to walk (My one JRT loves snow, but not if it's over her head. The other JRT Mix is from SC, and she doesn't have the undercoat to handle this weather very well, even though she puts up with it at times). It'll be VERY interesting if we manage 30" here, because that'll probably be eye-level with the Husky (Only her ears will manage to poke above the snow LOL). She hops through it like a Kangaroo though, so no worries (Without the snowshoes, I'm left falling over like a klutz while trying to keep up with her).

Also, where/how should I submit photos to CWG? Thanks.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 5, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Here in Minnesota we hate flexible sticks like bicycle flags on all of our fire hydrants so we can find them when it snows. I encourage all of you who live near a fire hydrant to go out and attach something to it so that it will stick out above the snow. When you go out to shovel start with the hydrant and be safe.

Posted by: babloom | February 5, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

In Springfield, at 7:15pm, 4.5 inches on the back deck. At 9pm, 6.75 inches. It's heavy, wet, perfect "snow fort" snow, and the wind seems to be picking up slightly while I was out shoveling.

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 5, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm calling this

Posted by: TheDubb | February 5, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Look at that band forming north of 64 near C'ville - wow!

Continued heavy snow, down to 31.4 degrees.

Posted by: Sterlingva | February 5, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Five inches at National so far. Temps there have finally dropped to 32. http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KDCA.html

Posted by: gjtbiz | February 5, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

At least 6 inches on the ground in Upper NW / Spring Valley and snowing extremely hard. Shoveled three times and its like I never shoveled at all. However, looking at the radar, I see a potential dry slot forming west of Fredericksburg that is worrying me a bit. Thoughts CWS guys?

Posted by: jdtdc | February 5, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Got a four-and-a-half-story pine tree (or evergreen? I dunno) that looks like it's about ready to come down, having been bent over to about three stories tall.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 5, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

7" in SE Loudoun (South Riding). Never saw much of a changeover to anything.

Posted by: 07mg09 | February 5, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

9pm update, 5.7" in NW Spotsy. 31.4.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 5, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

7.5" in South Springfield

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 5, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Camden; thanks for insight to radar anomalies, I'm hoping St Marys gets their share and it wasnt' looking too good. I'm watching from half way across the US but remember fondly the '79 storm and 30" in our yard monday morning!

Posted by: dvorak9 | February 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

0z NAM shows about an additional 25 inches of snow to come.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

@DrewinAlexandria

What we've seen in the last hour or two is a good indication of what we should get most of the night: steady snow with embedded bands of heavy snow coming through intermittently. There is a long steady stream of moisture to the south and southwest.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Fox 5 just said that THE THUNDERSNOW IS COMING!

Posted by: megamuphen | February 5, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Yay! DCA hits 32 and reports 5! Did I ever mention prospective double digit snows make me manic-depressive?

PJM

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

We're at 8" now in far NW Prince William County, but I know I've shoveled 6"+ this afternoon and there's 6"+ on the driveway right now. It's blowing like mad, though.

Posted by: northerncrown | February 5, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the lightning around 7:30? I think I heard thunder too. Is that possible?

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 5, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

fat clumps of snow
falling into drifts --
dancing limbs

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

No headache, but I think I can feel the pressure change in my ears at ~1850ft in the Blue Ridge Mtns. Maybe this year I'll add a barometer to my weather gear.

JoeThePhotographer, great pics again!

Posted by: spgass1 | February 5, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I noticed that the DC readings are also indicating a change in wind direction from east to northeast. I assume this accounts somewhat for the movement of the storm and the declining temps?

Posted by: novajeffc | February 5, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I saw lightning about 15 minutes ago too. Are folks serious when they say they don't see snow in Laurel/Silver Spring. Other posters (including myself in Silver Spring) have been seeing snow nonstop for a few hours now.

Posted by: crazer | February 5, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

HUGE SLEET HERE IN MADISON. THIS IS WEIRD SLEET, LIKE ICE CHIPS

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 5, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Very Heavy snow here in Herndon... no signs of T-snow yet... but wouldn't be surprised considering how hard it is coming down.

Radar shows a dry spot around I-81 with moderate to heavy snow east and west of that dry spot.... is that a radar anomaly or are they really missing out around Staunton-Winchester?

Posted by: markinva2 | February 5, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Just finished shoveling 5 1/2" here in Manassas (Wellington area). Round 2 first thing in the morning.

Posted by: RWRose | February 5, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

6" here.

tbva,
been drooling/fretting about what to do with all this. when i say "all this", i'm mostly referring to the yet-to-fall bounty we've been promised. intensity is picking up here.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 5, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Snow has changed to rain or a wintry mix in Crisfield. Was that really Katie Couric in a bathing suit shoveling my neighbor's driveway, or is this the onset of the proverbial cabin fever?

Posted by: douglaslbarber | February 5, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

It really didn't snow at all where I am (northeast Laurel) between 4:30-7:30, but has started now, though it's still barely dusting.

Posted by: gsteff | February 5, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Just measured over 6 inches in upper NW DC with visibilites near zero.

Posted by: ajmupitt | February 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

5.7" so far in Berwyn Heights, MD. Those bands to the south look impressive!!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Large wet flakes are falling in Adams Morgan, so accumulation seems to be up to about 1-1/2" an hour by my calculations. Six inches now.

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The radar to the south and southwest is really lighting up...within a few hours, we may see some unbelievable snowfall rates.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm listening to the snow from the adjacent building fall on my roof. It kind of sucks.

The trees are very low around here and I fear what will happen, but at least the power lines are under ground....for the most part.

Is this storm moving "on time"? Ie - moving faster/slower etc?

Posted by: hereandnow1 | February 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: letitsnow | February 5, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Out here on the Eastern Shore in Mardela, we have 5 inches and the snow is pelting down. The wood stove is churning out the heat at 900 F. So far, so good.

Posted by: keano | February 5, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

@crazer: I was serious at 8:15 -- we had about 2 hours with very little snow. But it has since definitely been snowing in Silver Spring.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 5, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

6.5" in Silver Spring

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 5, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

My daughter and I just returned from taking a stroll thru the elements. The scenery is so peaceful, calm and gorgeous. Meanwhile, heavy snow continues here in the Camp Springs area near Andrews AFB. Moderate wind blowing steadily from the NE, with occasional gusts. Temperature remaining steady around 30F. And, around 9:00pm or so, there was lightning streaking across the sky. Thundersnows!! Just taking it all in, and enjoying the moment.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the snow excitement will help distract those of us suffering from headaches :)

I am inspired by seeing other's photographs, so I thought I'd share mine. I am not as accomplished as the previous photogs, but here they are- thought it'd be fun to look back at the 12/19 storm as a frame of reference for tomorrow. These were taken in Old Town on the 19th and 20th of December '09.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Centreville VA Continued heavy snow accumulating just under 1.5 inches in last hour with gusty winds. Total snow so far between 7 - 8 inches. Temp will not budge from 32 degrees.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 5, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Just came in from shoveling the driveway. Here in zip code 22312, I had 5-6 inches on the driveway, but the first inch was slush. What was more interesting was that the spot where I started accumulated another inch by the time I finished (about 50 minutes or so).

I thought I heard a crack earlier, but didn't see any fallen limbs when I was out. The evergreens, both bush and tree, are carrying a lot of snow, though.

Posted by: magicdomino | February 5, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Our snow seems pretty wet and dense and our temperature is still above 30 in Shepherd Park. Will this decrease the total snow predictions for the area?

Posted by: lhaller | February 5, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Latest video update from the DAILY GREG here in the burg:

Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 5, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

When is the next update?!?!

Posted by: samdman95 | February 5, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Major worries about roofs, and especially tree limbs, here in our wooded community.

Sigh, wish this would move offshore . . .

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 5, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Latest radar not only shows the sleet line continuing to creep northward (and all across the eastern side of the Metro)... but also reveals a sleet area covering parts of the District. What gives?

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@samdman95

Next update will be in the 10:30-11 p.m. range. For now, not much to say except we're getting rocked by moderate to heavy snow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Jason--sure that isn't sleet? Kinda lights up the radar...

PJM

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

actually the mix line seems to be crashing south from west to east on all radars

Posted by: cjespn | February 5, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@SouthsideFFX

Same here. And lights are flickering. Not looking forward to freezing tonight.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 5, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

This storm has been very interesting. It was def mixing very fine snow and ice up until an hour ago in Rosslyn and then also when I went into Dupont Circle. I've seen about an inch or two on cars and an icy slush with a thin layer of snow on top of that on the roads. CWG is this due to the proximity of the potomac?

Posted by: steven221 | February 5, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Lights starting to flicker, heavy stacks of snow on top off all the cable and power lines. This doesn't bode well. I wish I could just go out and brush them off.

Go go gadget arm!

Posted by: kallieh | February 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Just swept the front doorstep and about 5 feet out from the door. By the time I turned back toward the door (maybe two, three minutes later?), that front step was already covered in snow.

Probably 5 or 6 inches on the ground right now in Fort Myer Heights in Arlington. The wires above the streets, though, have a good 3-4 inches. LOTS of snow on trees and bushes, so I wonder what the over/under is for the power going out in Arlington?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from shoveling the walk in Rockville. I measured a little over 5" on thepatio, but it's not a great measuring spot. Total on the grassy surfaces seems to be somewhat higher (maybe as much as 6").

Posted by: btamil | February 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Just went for a nice walk in the snow with my iPod blaring.

I live smack dab in the middle of montgomery county in gaithersburg, halfway up midcounty highway.

Temp is 30.9 degrees. Snowing like crazy. Grew up in NY and went to college in Vermont and this is as hard as I've ever seen it come down.

Have about 7" but that is going up quickly.

The snow is getting "dryer" -- definitely not as wet as it was earlier. And the wind has definitely picked up. Good thing I was wearing my ski goggles or else I would have to walk backwards when go into the wind.

Feels like Hoth!!! I love it.

Posted by: hskwak | February 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the record for comments is for one post... this is going to be epic and I love it!!

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Just finised a 4th round with the shovel. We have about 6"(measured on the suv) here in the City of Manassas. A very wet snow, coming down at a very good clip.

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

About 6-8" in the Shirlington area. Negligible wind, but snow is really coming down.

Posted by: Beobachter | February 5, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Just south of Old Town Alexandri - is that lightning I'm seeing?

Posted by: 3seasons | February 5, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Ran home from Pure Praa yoga studio to Huntington. Got home at 8:15 - 8:20. The sidewalks were easy enough to run on since I have trail runners. Even the huge puddle of slush at the end of the Wilson Bridge/Washington Street Deck is all since snow. I do not anticipate this to be the case much longer. By 11, if not earlier, it will be tough to get by on even the most packed-in sidewalks, even on foot.

Posted by: JefffromHuntington | February 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Just witnessed lightning here in upper NW DC - Thundersnow! Didn't hear thunder though - maybe the snow dampens the sound.

Posted by: jph11 | February 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Lights flickering in Potomac. It's ominous out there. Shoveling a bear. Keep that power on . . .

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | February 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that what is called 'Laurel' is a huge area that includes parts of AA, PG, and HW counties. Silver Spring also covers a big area.

Posted by: 1Reader | February 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

7+in in McLean. SN+. Wind 3-5k, but power cutting in and out. Could get ugly.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 5, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Pat-- There's probably some sleet in there-- I saw a report of very heavy snow with sleet in Stafford in the last 10 minutes on another site I monitor (EasternUSWx).

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

8.5" on the Snow Collection Platform of Science in Dunn Loring (22027). 1.25" in an hour, so things are starting to pick up! Starting to get windy, too, which means all that pretty snow will fall off the trees... which is probably better for our prospects of continued electrical service, I guess.

Posted by: kedzie | February 5, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

People may be seeing some flashes of light from stressed power lines and other electrical issues, which is not uncommon during prolonged severe weather events. Electrical flashes look a lot like lightning, only more bluish. I still haven't seen anything on the lightning tracker within about a thousand miles from DC.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@dc_attorney, I guess Silver Spring is too big. In zip 20903, close to exit 28 off the Beltway, I've been seeing it snow since 11 am this and it's been accumulating since 4pm.

Posted by: crazer | February 5, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

lights flickering in Oakton...

Posted by: SPS1 | February 5, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Checking in from Herndon 20170 - measured 8 inches at 9:10 pm, accum. since I brought the car back around 1:30 pm (onto a cleared driveway). It's snowing hard now, such that I can barely make out the shape of a (non-snowcovered) car 4 houses down, and starting to drift (as well as plaster the side of the house!).

If you haven't started shovelling yet, do it! 8 inches is tolerable, but I noticed it got MUCH harder to shovel the edges where there were just a couple more inches.

Posted by: fsd50 | February 5, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

nice banding has been setting up from DC north..once that moves out bring on those next bands from the S/SW!!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 5, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, huge wind gusts in NW DC the past few minutes. It's really nasty out there (I've also been hearing sirens constantly for the past five hours). How are wind speeds elsewhere? Careful of those tree limbs weighed down with heavy snow...

Also, thanks for posting power outage maps. You may want to start charging up your electronics and batteries just in case.

You can post your snow and ice photos here.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Point is that sleet lights up the radar. You should be looking at the raw feed from the Weather Service rather than the one that is "sleet processed" (with the pink sleet), which isn't real dependable. Embedded sleet on the raw tends to show as yellow sort of cell-like structures.

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Between 3 and 4 sloppy inches in Hanover, MD. Heard a rumble outside my window...the county sent a bulldozer to my neighborhood. Really. The bulldozer has been trying to clear my quarter mile street for half an hour now. Excellent use of funds, Anne Arundel! What will they send when we have two feet? A demolition team?

Posted by: EulerRules | February 5, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Seeing the strongest gusts of the night in Penrose, South Arlington.

Posted by: MosesCleaveland | February 5, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

6.5" now...an inch in 25 minutes!!

Posted by: BH99 | February 5, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

CWG guys - with the 0z NAM coming back so strong wouldn't you say that 30" totals are looking a lot more likely now?

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 5, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Slight wind here in Adams Morgan. So much snow, some of it wet, has been caught in the tree branches that I agree with Ann that you'll have to be careful of mini-avalanches once the wind picks up.

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Coming down heavy in Bethesda. Just spent the last 20 minutes shoveling the sidewalk and the driveway, and another inch of snow fell in that time span. Total depth is about six inches on grass and four inches on pavement.

A big problem for me was about an inch of ice in between the pavement and the snow. Going to be difficult for snowplows.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | February 5, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Reston - snow picking up. My light post outside is now leaning at 10 degrees. Still toward the car. As a bonus, so is the tree...

Posted by: EricCarr | February 5, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

6.5" now...that's in Berwyn Heights, MD

Posted by: BH99 | February 5, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@JamieYPotomac

Lights flickering on the Poolesville side of Potomac too, pretty ominous. PEPCO maps here:

Posted by: mkbf26 | February 5, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

My wife and I just came back from a leisurely walk from Rosslyn to Court House and back. Measured 4-1/2" in branches of pine tree and 6" on top of parked car. (Index finger, knuckle to knuckle is ~1", so I could be way off). Oh, about 1-1/2” on top of my hat :>)

Arlington County has a backhoe with front loader out clearing bus stops.

Van failed to make turn in front of Rhodeside Bar and Grill (corner of Wilson Blvd and N. Rhodes St.), bounced off a light pole and ended up 1 foot short of the front door. The driver must have really worked hard to do that, as the intersection is quite large with lots of room to stop, assuming the driver knew how to drive in the snow, which was likely not the case.

@krosseel - Nicely said.

PS - Lights just flickered three times. Better look for the flashlight.

Posted by: djm-01 | February 5, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

lights were flickering here in East Falls Church...

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 5, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

NE Montgomery County has almost no wind. My weather station says highest wind speed today is 3 MPH. Temp is 30 degrees dropping .25 degrees per hour, barometer is 29.72" and still dropping.

About 4-5" of snow. Watching the snow didn't give me a sense of anything extraordinary, but clearly if it this keeps up until morning we'll be looking at 15" or so.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 5, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Okay, after reading all this I regret all of my past snow-hating talk. I am totally jealous I'm not there now.

My mom is reporting "fairly heavy snow" in Lake Ridge. Anyone have a total from there?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 5, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Jason, that yellow band is either going to make or break this storm. If it's snow, we're big; if it's sleet, we should be thankful for the very heavy show so far...

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

On Capitol Hill the winds have been picking up in the last half hour. The trees are so heavy with snow, I think we're going to have a lot of downed branches by morning. Snow accumulation seems to be accelerating too.

Posted by: WeatherWick | February 5, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Blizzard Warning extended to Baltimore / Harford Cos.

Tech Note - CWG Blog still crashing.

Posted by: manatt | February 5, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

GD1975, I believe only lightning tracker tracks cloud-to-ground lightning

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

What the heck do you do if you lose power without a fireplace and with two kids under 5 years of age?! That is our biggest fear here in Rockville!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | February 5, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@Dylan0513

Looks like NAM paints 2.0" of liquid equivalent AFTER 10 p.m., so some 20"+ totals still in play, even if that's overdone (considering most places are in the 5-9 range now). If the precip remains all snow, temps drop a little and the snow:liquid ratios go up, the high end of our range will be in play...but that's a lot of IFs

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Well over 12" in Bethesda already. And still the idiots are driving.

Posted by: DrLRonHoover | February 5, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Power outage in Wheatland, VA; in between Purcellville and Lovettsville, VA. Parents reported being without power and I think they'll be out for at least 24 hours, if not longer.

Posted by: GovITguy | February 5, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

OK...I have started taking pics from the front door every couple of hours to track the accumulation:

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Laurel very close to the PG/AA/Howard line and there's quite a buildup in my neighbourhood. About five inches, I'd suspect. It's very wet though, so I'm wondering about the totals.

It's also quite heavy. Trees not looking too good. I'm glad I thought about candles.

Posted by: WorfsBabyMama | February 5, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

8" in Greenbelt at 9:30, but that feels high compared to everyone else's reports.

Snowfall rates have been going up steadily for me, from 1"/hr from 4:30 - 6:30, 1.5"/hr from 6:30 - 8:30, and 2"/hr for the 9:30 measurement.

Am worried about power and trees here, too. it's sticking to the power lines everywhere, but no flickering. This storm is very impressive, I must say.

Posted by: r3hsad | February 5, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

@authorofpoetry

Build a giant snowman?

We have about 4" here near the Bay Bridge (AA County side)

Posted by: RandC | February 5, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Sue Palka just spoke about the storm deepening quicker and more intensely than forecasted. She hinted that 30" may be very common.

BRING IT ON!

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Is this a nor'easter?

Posted by: midanae | February 5, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Rand - Ha! Maybe tomorrow my friend, but not the heck tonight!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | February 5, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting the wide differences in the storm in just a few miles. NE Montgomery County, no wind, 4-5" of snow. Bethesda 12" of snow? That's only 10 miles away.

I'm amazed at that difference.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 5, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD 9:50 6". That's an inch and a half in an hour.

And I just did what may be my last shovel session of the night and I can tell you its falling faster than you can shovel it.

I shoveled a stretch of about 50' in about 10 minutes and when I got to the end and turned around - it was all white again.

Posted by: Vingold | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

West Springfield: 9:45pm up to 8" now.

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

My friend just lost power in Springfield. For those wo have to be out...be safe.

Posted by: SPS1 | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

@Camden-CWG,
Thanks for that tip. So, you think we may actually be getting some thundersnow? That would be cool.

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

This is really sticking on the trees downtown in Dupont:

Posted by: PaulFrederiksen | February 5, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Sleet/freezing rain blowing hard against the patio doors at the Harry Nice Bridge.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | February 5, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Jason- isn't it closer to 2.5 considering the little red streak coming from the east that goes right up to if not includes DC?

(I'm looking here btw: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/images/nam_p48_048l.gif)

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 5, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Ombudsman1 - just sunk a 12" ruler outside my back door and it completely disappeared. This is insane. And I love every second of it.

Posted by: DrLRonHoover | February 5, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@midanae

I would say this is a NorEaster, but a little unconventional in that it's going to largely miss the Northeast (NYC and Boston).

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

2 inches in the last hour at DCA. 7 inches so far. http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KDCA.html

Posted by: todd27 | February 5, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

@authorofpoetry

I've turned up the heat a little in case power does go. Give a little wiggle room.

C'mon storm, you've worn out your welcome. Get outta here.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 5, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

This next wave of snow moving into DC in the next 45 minutes will be gnarly. Brace yourselves!!!

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Just north of Del Ray - went out for a walk about 25 minutes ago, it's beautiful out there. 4-5 inches and coming down pretty good now. Snow is sticking to everything:
and I mean EVERYTHING:

Posted by: esmith22015 | February 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

If folks are including only new snowfall amounts, then disparity is amazing. I know my yard already had 3-4" from previous storms. So new snow of about 5", total depth of 8-9".

Posted by: crazer | February 5, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA - Heavy, heavy snow in Lake Ridge. I'm measuring ~ 7 inches + so far.

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 5, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I swear I just heard thunder in NW DC about 5 minutes ago. Anyone else hearing thunder?

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Crazer, a lot of people on here get "snow fever" and report totals that are probably a little high. Although with the banding, there is possibility for wide disparity.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Decent and solid 8" of NEW SNOW in Thomas Circle, Mass Ave and 14th St

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Here's the total in Oakton, VA as of 9:47 pm, almost 10":

Here's the total 2 hours earlier:

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Experiencing frequent power outages in Fairfax County (Alexandria-South). Gone off, but back on, 12 times so far.

Posted by: bdeco | February 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

While I don't have any direct measurements, I'm in North Bethesda and can tell we have a ton of snow coming down. It's coming down fast and furiously. It's beginning to build up against the cars in the parking lot below - in a few hours, those cars look like they will be mere bumps.

Posted by: salf | February 5, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank you ZmanVA! Knew I could count on you :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 5, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

When is this suppose to stop again? I've filled the tub in case we loose power as I doubt we won't get back on for days at this rate.

Posted by: hereandnow1 | February 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

CWG, Do you guys think this will have more snow than the Dec. 19th storm? and if so, how much more?

Posted by: samdman95 | February 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Centreville, VA: 2 more inches of snow from 8:00 to 10:00, total so far 5.5" on the driveway and 9" on the sidewalk.

Posted by: misskaren1 | February 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Our power went off for a minute here in the Alex/Ft. Belvoir area, but then came back on. Am turning up the heat, cooking some food from the freezer and making extra coffee for tomorrow.

Posted by: letitsnow | February 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked at the number of thundersnow reports from this storm. With no CSI to work with it means that they're all due to forced ascent. This developing low must be deepening extremely fast!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Up to 7 inches now at National. http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KDCA.html

Posted by: gjtbiz | February 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Jason, I can't tell if I am hearing thunder or plows.

And when I was outside shoveling, I hear sirens the entire time.,

Wind is really picking up here, as is the snow.Maybe it will blow the snow off my dish so I can see the news....

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Southeastern Silver Spring: At 8:15 we went out to shovel. I measured 3 to 3.25 inches out front on the car and driveway. It had been snowing continuously for about 10 hours at that point but hadn't really accumulated until 2 or 3 pm or later. 90 minutes later, I estimate the first places we had shoveled had about 2 inches of fresh snow. The wind has gradually been picking up for the last 4 hours or so.

Posted by: Murre | February 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

What is CSI and Forced Ascent?

Posted by: samdman95 | February 5, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Bad news, now sleet & rain in NW Sposty. Based on past history, don't b surpised if this goes up the 95 corridor, so Stafford, most of PWC & Fairfax, as well as Arlington, FC, Alex. & DC could c this change over. Really doubt that we will c more than 12" in this area.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 5, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

9" in South Springfield, 31 degrees

Posted by: cmspsu13 | February 5, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

That's some low forming in NC...tornado watch up now for the eastern part of the state. Shows how much warm air is being dragged into the system down there. Some impresive T-Storms on radar.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | February 5, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Just recently saw tornado warnings posted for a large portion of the NC coastline.

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 5, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

The four-story pine came down in the courtyard of my apartment complex. Wow.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 5, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

We have about 7 inches in University Park, MD, and we did get thunder and lightning around 7:30pm.

Posted by: NML_dc | February 5, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Around 6"-7" in SE FfxCo/Belvoir area, snow pace and wind picking up, with lightning and a couple thundersnows witnessed around 9:45!

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | February 5, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

9 inches at 930pm in Fairfax City.

Posted by: dudster89 | February 5, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@VaTechBob, every storm you always say there will be less than everyone else. Talk to us tomorrow morning when there is 20 inches on the ground

Posted by: samdman95 | February 5, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

10 PM- 7 inches down here near Dumfries. Not a hint of rain/sleet that I've seen (and I've been out in it or watching it faithfully). 31 degrees with intermittent gusty winds.

Posted by: fall_line | February 5, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

With the tornado watches and storms along the coast, will this rob the storm of some energy up this way?

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 5, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

@hereandnow1

Why fill up the tub?

(not snarking, actually curious)

Posted by: megamuphen | February 5, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Jason, have been listening for thunder but none here in Adams Morgan. Keeping my ear to the ground, as it were....

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Wind is picking up here in Oakton, lots of swirling snow coming off the roof and trees. The wind has become audible, and it's hard to tell what's actually falling and what's drifting. Can't believe that we have the rest of the night still to come!

Posted by: paige_va | February 5, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Off to go shovel so I don;t have to do it all in the AM, before I have to go in to work, ugh

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else in NW DC / Georgetown want to walk outside and figure out what it's doing? On my trip I could tell (a) there's about 6" on the ground, (b) it's seriuosly blowing out of the Northeast,(c) a lot of something is coming down, and (d) it hurts. Everything on the ground looks like snow - and I don't want to introduce "doubt" about the all snow scenario... but when you're in it, it FEELS like snow, sleet and even freezing rain.

Posted by: manatt | February 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Inspired by others, here are my snow pictures from East Baltimore

Posted by: bachaney | February 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

FYI here in Georgetown, there's nothing dramatic going on.

3 to 4 inches of wet gloppy snow.

In my garden, the areas under the table and chairs haven't even been covered yet -- bricks still visible.

I'm sure it's going to get worse, but so far, this is no big deal.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | February 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Temp has also gone up 1 degree in the last hr here in NW Spotys. Hopefully there will b a change over back 2 snow. Definetly won't c more than 12" in this area.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 5, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious about the tornado warnings that are popping up in North Carolina. Can you have a tornado in a snowstorm? Is that even possible? Does the low pressure deepening more quickly than expected and the formation of possible tornadoes, does that mean our winds and snow totals will increase?

Posted by: tsqnova | February 5, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

SO WHAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, EXPERTS?

My lay sense tells me this storm is not producing nearly the accumulation in DC due to a sleet-ish snow.

Correct?

Posted by: kjm1971 | February 5, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

WINDS ARE PICKING UP HERE AND STILL THAT CRAZY SLEET. BUT I THINK ITS GOING TO BE ALOT LESS SNOW FOR US DOWN THIS WAY

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 5, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@megamuphen

Just a guess but maybe hereandnow gets their water from a well. ie if power goes, so does the pump.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 5, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@megamuphen: Well, we used to fill the tubs during storms in New England for hurricanes, can't remember if we filled them for major snowstorms... If the power went out over a widespread area, and the water pressure dropped (or if you couldn't be sure of it being clean) you had a limited amount that you could use for a bit. Our town had pumped water from public wells, so no power, no water.

Posted by: salf | February 5, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason for responding. Just cleaned off the car around 9:25. I was fighting a losing battle as snow built up as soon as I could brush it off. I missed the thunder, though, in New Carrollton.

Posted by: midanae | February 5, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Just shoveled my smallish driveway in North Arlington (Westover) and I'm pretty sure another half an inch fell in the 15-20 minutes I was out there. Guessing about 5-6 inches so far. Enough wind to make it sting when you face it.

Posted by: 27champs | February 5, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

7 inches near Eisenhower Metro. Eisenhower Avenue is almost completely covered in snow. Haven't checked Duke Street, but I may make the hike over later on.

Posted by: DrewinAlexandria | February 5, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

9" in Rockville at 10:00. 1.8" between 9 and 10:00. Lights keep flickering.

Posted by: DOG3521 | February 5, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

authorofpoetry - In Rockville with a little one myself and have been worried about this for days. The best advice I've found is to gather up all blankets and warm clothing, seal yourself in a warm part of the house, stuff towels under the doors and cover up the windows to preserve the heat. Make sure you and the kids keep eating high-calorie foods. If it comes to this and power can't be restored quickly, I'll also check in with the Red Cross or police to see if there are any local shelters we could get to.

Posted by: dc121 | February 5, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

You can start to see some rotation in thunderstorms developing over eastern NC. Not exactly sure if that is the coastal low forming, but maybe...

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Just under 10" of new snowfall in Dunn Loring (22027) at 10:15, so almost 1.5" hour right now. Almost time to abandon the ruler... where the heck did we put that yardstick??

Posted by: kedzie | February 5, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

North Centreville (28 at Braddock/Walney) update:

Made a valiant effort to clear my townhouse parking spots, and was defeated.

Observations:

1) Saw the sky light up a few times but heard no thunder.

2) Unlike other areas, the snow here is powdery and dense - packs well with very little moisture, probably excellent ski snow, the kind you can carve into perfect blocks. It's the squeaky kind of snow, if you know what I mean. It is really piling up fast. It is very dry outside.

3) Wind is also picking up a good deal.

4) I expected to find slush underneath this first batch - there is none.

5) So glad my neighbors and I got rid of those awful Bradford Pears last year in front of our townhouses.

Cannot imagine where we're going to put it all tomorrow, though. It's already a bit overwhelming out there.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 5, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Reston, VA 10" (might be more but I'm being conservative...several spots (cleared before the storm) showed 12" but I bet that's from wind/trees)...winds are gusting from time to time...took my dog for a walk and had a quick white-out moment...saw a tree branch on a car (not a good sign)...have a hard time believing 4"-5" in DC...are you measuring over a vent???

Posted by: parksndc | February 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Seven inches as of 10PM here in Eldersburg. Snowing heavily; two inches in the last hour. The wind is starting to pick up.

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Just finished clearing the driveway and sidewalk in Huntington. It was not snowing heavily when I came in 15 minutes ago. However, I DID see some flashes in the sky (lightning?). As for thunder, all I'm hearing is plows and emergency sirens - lots of 'em.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 5, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

About 8 or 9 inches in Ballston/Arlington and snowing like mad.

I just pray the power stays on.

Posted by: jaydreb1 | February 5, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Was a final hashtag decided? Anyway, two shovelings are done. Very heavy and squishy. ~6-7 new inches (on top of the old snow which may be compacting) in Olney. I have a stick in the front yard with 12, 18, 24, etc marks on it so this is my best guess from inside a currently toasty house. I cannot see some of the back porch furniture. I have been shoving open the back door hard every couple of hours to make sure we have an extra escape route if needed.

If you lose power you may want to leave the fridge/freezer closed for a while, but unlike hurricanes, you can use the outside/snow as your icebox! No reason for total spoilage, at least not for a few days. Just do not cool down the house too much sticking stuff outside and bringing it back in.

Posted by: johnslau | February 5, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Power outages still on the rise, especially in FFX County. Good suggestions dc121 as to prepping for possible loss of electricity.

Posted by: letitsnow | February 5, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Interesting about pressure and migraine.

I had a migraine "aura" -- funny zig-zagging backwards "C" in my field of vision for 10 minutes -- earlier this evening.

Haven't had one for years, and I was wondering why it happened.

Glad I don't get the headache.

Posted by: Groff | February 5, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I just hiked a 3 mile perimeter within the 21046 region (Columbia MD, immediately adjacent & east of Rt 29), and found 5"-7" of new snow consistently (let's call it 6").

Regardless of whether we break the inches record, I suspect the level of tree carnage could be historic. The snow is sticking to even the smallest diameter branches at depths & weights far out of proportion to their sizes, surprisingly clinging tight even when wind gusts shake the trees with enough force that I would've thought would dislodge the snow. Evergreens in particular are bowed low with already considerable weight. (Overhead wires too are accumulating quite an impressive coating.)

Just out of curiousity, I test-bumped some boughs and branches of various diameters and tree types, to see how much force would be required to dislodge the weight on them; even after successfully discovering that threshold (dumping the majority of the buildup), they still retained a sizeable coating, which felt icy or partly iced onto the trees.

I did hear one large tree/bough break; I would guess 6"-8" diameter branch.

I suspect tomorrow we could have as much or more issues with deadwood removal than from snow.

But it sure is pretty (& quiet) out there.

Posted by: tippicanoe | February 5, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

8" at 9:45 in Woodbridge, falling at about 2" an hour based on the recoverage on the sidewalk while we were out shoveling and building a giant snowman. There was none of the slushy underlayer reported by other posters. Snow was still pretty fluffy and easy to move. Temperature holding here at about 31.8. No sleet seen so far. Wind is starting to pick up.

Posted by: drmammal | February 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Eight inches of new snow accumulation in my part of Adams Morgan, snow intermittently heavy. No blizzard conditions yet.

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Judging from the snow on the roof of my car, about 8" in Germantown.

Posted by: ZF-MD | February 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@tsqnova, the temperatures in the Tornado Watch zone in North Carolina are in the 50s and 60s.

Posted by: Murre | February 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

@ AlexBike

I'm a couple of miles south of Huntington Station, but i'm hearing lots of sirens as well.

Posted by: bdeco | February 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Sky just lit up an incredible shade of green! Never seen anything like it! Also helped a neighbor get back to his house (why is he driving?)

Shoveling on the hour, and it's tough.

Posted by: JamieYPotomac | February 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Was right around 9" here in Cleveland Park at 10p.. incredible evening so far.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

A solid seven+ inches here in McLean. The wind is gusting and I've seen several electrical related light flashes that made the entire area around my house glow this crazy blue-green color. Power has also flickered off and on several times. Hopefully it stays on, I have several tropical birds that really shouldn't be kept in an area below 65 degrees.

Posted by: HokieTerp | February 5, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

@DrewinAlexandria
I don't think I'm too far from you in Alex. We have a pine tree - that lost a big branch in the Dec. storm - which I now have heard at least 4 cracks from falling branches so far this evening. Roommates and I looked out the window and determined that it's leaning closer to the building. Right outside the dining room window - at worst, it won't hit any of our bedrooms (sigh)

Posted by: MKoehl | February 5, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Snow is now swirling and generally blowing like crazy outside. Wish the pics I have been taking could truly capture what I am seeing outside right now...)

Just uploaded a few more...

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Estimating about 4-5 inches in SW DC. It's still falling as a wet mix of sleet and snow...

Posted by: SWester2010 | February 5, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Some good tips from Dominion regarding power outages.

Posted by: letitsnow | February 5, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

moderate sized tree limb just fell at the base of my bedroom window in silver spring. im worried about this tree making it through the night. i dont know what kind of tree it is, but it has still has its leaves on it, and there fat and thick and catching all the snow.

pretty gusty here in silvere spring with 7 to 8 inches. at one point the snow actually appeared to lift and blow upwards from the top of the trees, followed right after by lightening which made the sky look green for a couple seconds.

Question: why are the flakes are so small with this storm?

Posted by: dummypants | February 5, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

My neighbors with puny single stage 2-strokes are out there all night trying to keep the snow accumulations on the long access road under the 8" they can handle.

I have a monster tracked snow thrower that will clear it out in about 30 minutes. I just feel like enjoying the snow tonight.

If these kinds of winters are going to happen all the time, I will be getting a snow-thrower for the John Deere!

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | February 5, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

In Springfield... just measured our back deck.... looked to be about 9" @ 10:15p. Though it is soooo WINDY - so I fully expect that is not an accurate measurement.

Hubby & I shoveled our driveway, neighbor's driveway, front sidewalks and front decks... we are POOPED!

Posted by: CassieLucy | February 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Lost power at 10PM. Generator running but I don't have enough juice to run the furnace. I can at least run water. I hope it won't get too cold to freeze the pipes. I wonder how long it will take to get power again. We saw fuzes in several cans blow. Could be out a while till they physically come by.

Posted by: Narrows | February 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@dlo1975:

your wife wishes that there was seven inches in Eldersburg.

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 5, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

It's about 9" here in the north of the City of Fairfax, 16" in the backyard, including the old snow.

Posted by: darkchan | February 5, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the comments about the accumulations not being what was expected. I don't know where you are, but here in Logan Circle the snow rate is absolutely intense, and there is easily between 6-8" on the ground. Considering that it's 10:30, and the heaviest snow is to continue throughout the night for at least the next 6-8 hours, with consistently moderate snow throughout the day after that, the projections of 16"-26" are right on target. We're easily on pace to hit the 16" mark here in the middle of the city, and 20" would not be at all surprising.

Posted by: ultrapop101 | February 5, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what all this talk of sleet in the city is all about. Here on Mass. Ave and 14th NW we've been snow the ENTIRE TIME. 8.5 fresh snow in the circle right now - CANNOT see the traffic lights 2 blocks away.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 5, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Agree about sleet in DC, at least NW -- we haven't had any since the snow started in earnest late this afternoon.

Posted by: krosseel | February 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

coming down hard and blowing around like crazy here in Derwood. I have heard some loud branches snapping in a row of ever greens behind my house. I can't even imagine what the morning will be like if this keeps up all night.

Posted by: mo26 | February 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@ultrapop101,
I think big storms like this can skew some people's perception. It's snowing like mad and most of already have at least half a foot. We are still basically at the beginning of this storm. I guess some people were thinking that we would get 25 inches in like 3 hours???

Posted by: GD1975 | February 5, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

We lost power in Montgomery Village; went out around 7:00 (just at the start of the Caps game) and came back on at 10:17. I'm quite grateful to the Pepco workers who were out in this to get us back up so quickly. I hope they are working safely tonight!

Posted by: RightField | February 5, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Just got back inside after two hours of shoveling. The snow turned to a wind-driven sleet hitting me the face. What an incredibly nasty night. I am thinking spring...

Posted by: david_in_stafford | February 5, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

@murre

I should've been clearer. I know that the current temps are in the 50s/60s in North Carolina where the tornadoes are. Does the tornado possibility down there affect the probability of a more intense storm up here in DC?

My second question -- unrelated to NC's current temps -- are tornadoes even possible in snow? With thundersnow and tropical storm-force winds in a blizzard, is it possible for snow bands to start rotating?

Posted by: tsqnova | February 5, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

@notdlo1975:

6 3/4 is pretty close. You have 9" inches there in Northern VA? Of snow?

Posted by: DLO1975 | February 5, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

about 8 inches in bethesda, md at 10:30. lights keep flickering. power line on the street is half way down from the ground. i doubt we will make it through the storm without loosing power over here. eh. HYATT ON SPEED DIAL

DONT YOU JUST LOVE THE SNOW??!!!

Posted by: jjsoccer1125 | February 5, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Our internet connection a bit shoddy so sorry if I am repeating something already stated.

My folks are in Ft Hunt area (alex) and have been w/o power since 9:30 ish. We were outside (we are in Old Town) earlier, shoveling, built the bottom of a snowman...just rolled the snow into a ball...can't tell we were even out.

Going to go pack a bag for work...waiting for the call I am sure is coming by the sound of things...

Posted by: motherrunner | February 5, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

There was some definite lightning and thunder here in Crystal City at about 10:35pm. I've never heard nor seen either during a snowstorm in my life.

But oddly enough, the snow doesn't seem to be falling all that rapidly.

Posted by: danburd | February 5, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Capitol Hill, wind came around to the northeast about an hour ago and has been blowing moderately hard sinec. Lots of snow, almost horizontal, close to white out...very impressive storm right now. I hope it gets wilder in the next few hours. Two teenagers in the house, increasingly discouraged after two rounds of shoveling. Working their way down the block to help out the neighbors they turn around and can hardly tell they've done everything it's coming down so hard. About 1.5" per hour. I shoveled out the bus stop about 10 pm, a bus driver watched me finish, walked over, said, "Thanks, but we just shut down the buses." The only traffic on Pennsylvania Ave SE now are plows and salt trucks, occasional cop or fire truck, and wierdly, lots of taxicabs.

Posted by: Trulee | February 5, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

All you snowlovers happy now? Power outages, freezing houses, accidents... yeah, this is FANTASTIC. And it's not even midnight yet.

Gossamer beauty my butt.

Posted by: yetanotherpassword | February 5, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@ DLO1975 In some parts of NOVA, yes...we not only have 9" but around 10-11"...of BRAND NEW SNOW...we've been getting ONLY snow so far at this point...and it is only getting more intense...of course DCA will say 5" though...making it seem like nothing happened yet.

Posted by: parksndc | February 5, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Saw lightning in Chevy Chase, DC at ~10:45 while shoveling.

Posted by: tmbaptbfm | February 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

yetanotherpassword: Power outages, heating/AC outages and accidents happen even on the most beautiful of spring days, yet most people enjoy those (and even look forward to them) too. In April I hope if you ask the spring lovers if they're happy.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 5, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax County (Alexandria-South). I am seeing frequent cloud-to-cloud lightning.

Posted by: bdeco | February 5, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

9" in Oakton

Posted by: paige_va | February 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Crofton, MD 10:50 - 8"

That's 2" in the last hour.

Its coming down pretty strong now.

Posted by: Vingold | February 5, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Wrong weatherdude.

If you're referring to spring storms, they're isolated in nature. Even tornadoes are limited in what damage they inflict on an area level.

This is a winter hurricane. Widespread damage. Worst kind of storm possible.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | February 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

8 inches now outside here in Manassas...which means I am averaging about 2" an hour right now. At least I am now 8" ahead in the shoveling department compared to my neighbors...

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Just finished another round with the shovel and since my last post 9:34, we have picked up 2" here in the City of Manassas. Walked out to Wellington Road to see what kind of shape it was in, not bad, but the walk back was painful since it was into the wind and the snow.

Posted by: irish031 | February 5, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Spring and Password...why are you blaming snowlovers for this weather? It isn't like they had anything to do with it...they are just making the best out of the situation Mother Nature has dealt us.

If you want to complain, have a discussion with someone who actually makes the weather...not the folks who enjoy it.

Kim in manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 5, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Topper just said the storm really hasn't peaked yet. Is it slowing down/stalling over us?

Posted by: notdlo1975 | February 5, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

New Post.

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | February 5, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

We've seen solid snowfall and heavy winds at the east Falls Church/Arlington borderline for at least six hours now. I've never seen snow fall this fast and furious! I haven't ventured out to measure, but I'd guess about 6-10 inches so far with no signs of letting up anytime soon. No power scares, but we've been eying a snow-laden tree leaning very heavily towards our car and apartment!

Posted by: serenefallschurch | February 5, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

1/8 S+ here in downtown as the banding comes through. At least the first yellow band is OK, very heavy snow (that indeed does look like the 1983 storm at its height). See at least two others coming on the raw radar. No sleet, please! Only 6.5 inches by my best measure at 1030, certainly more now. Don't know how 300 sq ft has 8.5 just three blocks away.

300 sq ft--I'd like to see how we are getting such a difference. I'm sure it is sampling, and I'm happy to be wrong--the wind is really whipping things around and could be biasing me low...though I have rooftop sheltered area with a table that has the 6.5.

Posted by: pmichaels1 | February 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

New post is up.

Posted by: Murre | February 5, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

As of 11:16 pm in Shepherd Park, we have received 9 1/4" of snow so far, and it looks like the the fun is just beginning!

Posted by: lhaller | February 5, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Just got done with Shovel - the Sequel.

10" on top of my car in Silver Spring (Four Corners area). 9.5" in the street. Don't have a good place on my lawn where I had cleared down to bare grass to measure.

Posted by: mheney | February 5, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Near blizzard conditions here in Camp Springs, MD. Gusts of wind out of the NE is significantly reducing visibility. Over 10" has already fallen in this neck of the woods. No sign of letting up anytime soon. Already shoveled once, and the snow is heavy with liquid content. I think at least 20" is a given.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 5, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Tell me Bob Ryan didn't raise the maximum snow in the Shenandoah Valley to 40 inches!

Posted by: kaygeejay | February 6, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

how is that globel warming working out for d.c. they need to invite al gore down for a snow cone.

Posted by: badz34 | February 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse