The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:30 PM ET, 02/ 6/2010

Snowmageddon departs after setting records

By Ian Livingston

Historic accumulations common across the area

* NWS storm reports - Map | Report snow to CWG (see reports) *
* Power outage maps for Dominion Electric | Pepco | BG&E *
* CWG on Facebook & Twitter | E-mail update to a friend *
* Outside now? Radar, temps & more: Weather Wall *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

Now that was a snowstorm. The final bands of Snowmageddon are shifting away and what looks to be a long cleanup can slowly get underway. Storm totals around 1.5 to 2 feet are common, with some places up to and past 30" or 36". A little clear sky before sunset heralds a cold night and tomorrow while we begin to watch the next possibility for late Tuesday into Wednesday.

Snow on the grounds of the Capitol Building this afternoon, where 20" was measured at 2:30 p.m. Photo by author.

Totals include a preliminary 17.8" at National (DCA). Snowmageddon will rank number 4 in recorded history for D.C. The storm also brings D.C. to number 3 in the top winter totals on record. As of the last DCA report, only 0.9" was needed to surpass the winter of 1995-1996 which currently holds the title for most snow ever recorded at that location. Numbers also suggest that Baltimore-Washington International has set a new all time record for a two-day event. Dulles appears to be the local airport winner, with 32.4" reported.

Tonight, tomorrow... next? Skies have already begun to clear. Combine that with fresh snow pack and you end up with cold overnight readings between 10 and the mid-teens -- some single-digit readings possible. Winds continue to subside and they will be lighter tomorrow as highs struggle to pass the upper 20s to around 30. The next wintry threat arrives by late Tuesday. While it will be much smaller, the potential for more snow (or a general mix) exists.

SchoolCast FedCast capitol-black.jpgcapitol-black.jpgcapitol-gray.jpgcapitol-gray.jpg (Valid Monday)

Tell us about your experiences and the early aftermath of Snowmageddon. Also, don't forget to report your snow total to CWG!

By Ian Livingston  | February 6, 2010; 6:30 PM ET
Categories:  Snowmageddon, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snowmageddon winding down
Next: Midweek storm has snowy potential

Comments

How boring, it's just cold now.

Posted by: prokaryote | February 6, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

first....final totals for Crystal City??...we had to have more than what they're measuring at DCA....

Posted by: DaLord | February 6, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I voted #4 in the poll for where this snowstorm would rank, even though I felt we would get more in Silver Spring. Looks like I was right, although there was about 24-26" where I live in Silver Spring. Looks like I was right. Took an hour to shovel the sidewalks, will dig out cars tomorrow.

Posted by: crazer | February 6, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Only three domes? D'oh!

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 6, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

CWG, 16 - 26 inch predicted accumulation spread for WASH DC area - bravo.
Toasts all around.

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Jim in NOVA here -

Ian - VERY NICE picture. I find photographing snow to be difficult. Sure, you get the point across, but all the white (white ground, cloudy skies) seems to cause a loss of depth that makes photos look unimpressive. I'm never able to get a photo that really shows what I feel like I'm seeing.

You've managed it with this shot though. I think the substantial foreground presence, with the taller tree further back, then the Capitol still further back really allows the photograph to convey depth despite flat light conditions.

Nice work! No more photo geekery now, back to weather :).

Posted by: jahutch | February 6, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Same crazer, on pretty much everything (#4, sidewalk, car tomorrow).

Anyway, final tally of 24" in Wesley Heights/AU. The last couple of hours of snow seemed to offset the compaction going on, as the snowpack stayed at the 24" mark on the stick.

Posted by: ah___ | February 6, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I measured 22 inches in Crofton, MD.

Posted by: cooper100 | February 6, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Well, that was one hell of a storm, even if I didn't personally experience it. I lived vicariously through all of you, thanks for your epic reporting everyone! And congrats to CWG for an awesome forecast up until the last snowflake! Enjoy your week off, kids and teachers :P

Okay my friends in Lake Ridge, what are your final totals?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

No surprise to any, except maybe Fenty, that metro won't be running above-ground tomorrow. I think metrobus status for Sunday goes without saying.

Posted by: Tess89 | February 6, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Greenbelt, MD: Was able to lean out the window and stick a yardstick into the snow on the porch roof, sunk in to the 20" point. That's got to be somewhat compacted, though.

Posted by: kevinwparker | February 6, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I had 28" in Crofton, but others reported 34"

...ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY...
1 NNE CROFTON 34.0 510 PM 2/06
2 NNE CROFTON 34.0 430 PM 2/06 SNOWFALL
1 N CROFTON 31.0 400 PM 2/06
1 WNW GREEN HAVEN 29.8 500 PM 2/06
GLEN BURNIE 29.5 1230 PM 2/06
PASADENA 29.0 508 PM 2/06
1 NW GAMBRILLS 27.5 450 PM 2/06
BALT-WASH INTL ARPT 26.5 1159 AM 2/06

Posted by: xxCxJxx | February 6, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Honestly only 17" at DCA? There is so much more around the city than that. They need to have a better place to measure this stuff.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | February 6, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Accuweather is calling for more snow next Saturday!

Posted by: dcnative22 | February 6, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

seriously, is there a chance the federal government will open on Monday? It would totally be nuts and I've used enough liberal leave for this winter.

Posted by: leee2003us | February 6, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

23-inches in Alexandria/Huntington area.

Posted by: banweiler | February 6, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Volta Park at 34th & Q Streets, NW: 26.0"

Posted by: fleeciewool | February 6, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Penguins are flying into Newark and being bused down from Newark tonight. Hm.m.m. if the bus runs down Wisconsin Ave. on Sunday, may go down there and see if I can snag a ticket to tomorrow's Caps-Penguins match.

The nearly 15" difference between DCA's 17.6" and IAD's 32" is unprecedented for a big snow.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

A couple of questions for the knowledgeable folks on CWG:

1. Where were the 1922 and 1899 snowfall measurements taken? DCA didn't exist back then, so it couldn't have been there. Any way to compare those measurements with this storm?

2. Do we know the liquid total for DCA? Projections of up to 3.0 inches of liquid were talked about...leading to the possibility of 30 inches of snow at a 10:1 ration. Did DCA seriously underperform on liquid?

(And kudos on the excellent CWG work on the lead-up to the storm. This is the best place on the web for this stuff.)

Posted by: ElJocko | February 6, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

CWG, I apologize if you've already dealt with this issue, but Sue Palka just said that the 17.6 at Reagan National was only measured for Saturday's snowfall. On Friday apparently, they measured an additional 8 inches which would total around 26 inches for the total storm. The knickerbocker storm of 28 inches was also over 2 days. Why is the measurement for Reagan not including the 8 inches from Friday? It was one continuous storm.

Posted by: rginsburg | February 6, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

DCA sucks for measurements....but at least they consistently suck

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 6, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

WeatherdudeVA:

I tried to walk though my backyard (untouched) and I couldn't take more than 1 step. Snow was up above my knee (and I'm 5'4")- I measured with a tape measure in 3 spots that I could reach - all were 22" or 23"

No idea if those spots had left over snow from Tuesday.

Here's a link to my pictures from the whole storm if you want to check them out:

Posted by: mamory1975 | February 6, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Well that sucked. Lost power last night around 9:30 - came back at 3:45 AM. Lasted until about 11:30 AM, went out and still out. Mt. Vernon/Alexandria area. Running on laptop battery, 61 degrees in the house and dropping. Waiting for the ground water to begin infiltrating the lower level of the house. Can't wait until I retire and move to somewhere where I can walk outside in my shorts every friggin day of the year.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 6, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

A project for a meteorology research paper:
What is is about the location of Reagan Airport that makes it the place where the least amount of snow falls during every storm?

Posted by: kls1 | February 6, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

CWG - Is this true 2 day DCA measurement for "Snowmageddon" total 26 inches not 17.6?
Would like to see this storm get proper credit!

Posted by: FIREDRAGON47 | February 6, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

rginsburg, it looks like LWX made an error in their daily climate summary (it's been a busy few days they may be tired) by reporting the 4p total as a daily. Their spotter reports are for the storm and indicate 17.6 as of 4p.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks mamory1975 -- those are really nice pictures, btw!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

@rginsburg, they've changed the numbers at the climate roundup page at http://www.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=lwx

They now say DCA had 9.1 today, and YTD snowfall is 45.1, which squares with what Bob Ryan said at 6:15 or thereabouts. That would mean this storm was 17.8" total for DCA; the seasonal total going into this storm at DCA was 27.3".

Ryan also said we only need another .5" inch of snow to tie the all-time DCA record, which could happen Tues-Wed.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Measured in my yard in Lake Ridge at 5PM tonight - 25.5 inches!

Posted by: LRVA | February 6, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

1.1" needed to tie the #2 snowiest winter on record (1995-1996), and there is snow in the forecast for Tuesday.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 6, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The 17-inch total reported for DC is on the low-end, based on what I saw walking around G'town and the Dupont area around sunset.

I got a lot of 17-inch measurements here and there, but I also got a lot of everything between 17 and 22 inches in various flat, drift-free spots. I figure if it's packed down and heavy snow, with hard slush at the bottom, we're looking at around 19-20 around here, near the old measuring spot at 24th and M.

So the Knickerbocker record seems safe, but just.

Posted by: dcpost1 | February 6, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1, thanks. Looks like the numbers have been updated -- I have corrected the post to indicate the additional .2" at DCA which appears to be "final".

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the clarification. I think that this blizzard proves that the Knickerbocker storm total of 28 inches will never be broken. It's clear that the knickerbocker storm would not have been measured as 28 inches if there had been reagan national airport at that time. It would have been much less. It's a shame that the NWS can't find some way to measure snowfall in a more representative place. I know that the knickerbocker storm was a tremendous one, but there's no way that it had 11 inches more than this storm. Clearly, people in DC are reporting around 2 feet of snow as well. It's a case of comparing apples to oranges.

Posted by: rginsburg | February 6, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

solid 28 inches in ashburn; lost power around 6 am, came back around 2 pm; got a little scary there.

Posted by: leee2003us | February 6, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else not able to see any storm totals on the reporting website?

Posted by: DrMeglet | February 6, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I see cnn.com's home page also calling the storm "Snowmageddon!"

I have been following this site for years, especially during snow storms, and can't say enough about good your coverage and community are. Thanks! I hope you guys have gotten a even bigger following from this historic event.

Posted by: mdskater | February 6, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

The number from IAD is pretty incredible.. and I believe it puts them near 75" on the season which would shatter the old record.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

at least 2.5ft here in falls church, snow didn't stop until almost 5pm!

Posted by: jrjumper | February 6, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

@Ian, you're welcome. Dulles is still confusing. http://www.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?date=&wfo=lwx&sid=IAD&pil=CLI&recent=yes&specdate=2010-02-06+22%3A55%3A44

They've now said 17.5" for today., 32.4" for the month and 74.5" for the season. The 17.5 for today might be valid. But I doubt they've reach such a high figure for the season.

BWI is also confusing. They'll sort it out later this evening. It's been a rough week.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

rginsburg, my gut says this probably fell just short of the Knickerbocker storm for DC itself but overall this is about as big of a storm as you can get in the area and fairly comparable. DCA, among the other issues, continues to have problems recording liquid so their numbers are wrong on that level. BWI reported over 2" liquid and radar indicates a large area north of DC and west of Baltimore recorded 2"-3".

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I had a final total of 25" in Manassas (Wellington area). Got one vehicle dug out late this afternoon. Will tackle vehicle #2 tomorrow.

Posted by: RWRose | February 6, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

mdskater, thanks so much for continuing to follow us. Glad we have you along, even through our last great two years on Washingtonpost.com :)

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Has sheepherder checked in to let us know how the ewes and lambs are doing? I've been AFK for a bit and didn't finish reading the comments on the previous post.

Posted by: mensan98th | February 6, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@rginsburg, you're right about the Knickbocker numbers; until they move the measuring from DCA's snow death valley, that 28" figure isn't likely to be surpassed (although Dulles may have done so with this storm).

Anyway, statistically we may may not see a winter like this for snow anytime soon, regardless of where they measure.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm not the only one to ask this but how can we verify the official snow totals from the late 1800's to early 1900's? I'm positive they did not possess accurate snow measurement tools as we have now.

Posted by: mstov | February 6, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

When(if ever) have we had 3 winter storm warnings in a week here?(saturday/sunday storm, tuesday/wednesday storm, Snowmageddon)

Posted by: samdman95 | February 6, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Someone on the weather boards earlier suggested going to Washington Circle to measure to see how it compared to Knickerbocker. I was tempted but tired and the metro was slow... given my readings in Cleveland Park (~24") and at the Capitol I would imagine it's somewhere around 22". I guess you'd need to factor in urbanization as well. It would be interesting if anyone has it to know.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

alright...wow that was a wonderful storm.

a few neighbors and i just helped get a FIRE TRUCK unstuck on our road - the truck even had chains. that's how bad the side roads are.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

For those who want to knock the Knickerbocker number, I'ld go along with a belief that they exaggerated it after the roof fell in and killed so many.

Posted by: blasmaic | February 6, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: heltzooor | February 6, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I measured a solid 24" in Ballston/Arlington.

Posted by: jaydreb1 | February 6, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks CWG for the great coverage, and to all the commenters out there for the great comments. I'm out of town for the weekend and hoping to head home tomorrow by car. So I'd appreciate any intel on the roads/plowing situation, as well as snow totals for the Tysons Corner area (I'm confused by all the DCA/IAD conflicting info). Thanks and hope everyone stays safe.

Posted by: JenDC | February 6, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

@JerryFloyd1 Sad to think next winter may go back to the usual DC winters with about 15-17" average snowfall for the entire winter.

Posted by: crazer | February 6, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I vaguely remember that during the December storm there was some information mentioned on the boards that the key for the CWG fedcast was incorrect. What does 3 of 4 actually mean for Monday?

Posted by: saiti34 | February 6, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

So is Sue Palka wrong, she again said that the 17.6 is for today only and that the total for the storm is more like 25. But Ian just said the 17.6 is for the storm.

Posted by: crazer | February 6, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Al Gore is doing the measuring at Reagan National. How can it be the only spot in the entire DC region with less than 20"? Alexandria had 24"!

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Only 12.5" in NW Spotsy, had several hrs of snow, sleet & rain last night, probably would have had another 5 or 6". Now up to 46" on the season. Good thing I have a good generator, out beteween 2am - Noon, then back off at 4:30 pm.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 6, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Good job CapWx. By the way, 23.5 inches in Bowie!

Posted by: JTF- | February 6, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, meant to say that the 23.5 inch reading beats the Blizzard of 96, the Storm of Jan 2000, the Presidents Day storm of 2003, and the storm in Dec 2009. The totals for all of those were around 18-20 inches.

Blizzard of 2010!

Posted by: JTF- | February 6, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

D.C. police four-wheel drive cruiser seriously stuck in the snow/ice right outside my bldg in Glover Park. They made it through once but the ice got them the second time.

Hope those animals in that collapsed bldg. in Montgomery County are OK. Cold is really intensifying.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone measure at 24th and M?

As for the DCA debacle, from my recollection having worked at NWS Sterling through the late 1990s, I remember a few distinct issues:
* Measurements were taken from a concrete roof
* The unique location of DCA, smack in a heat island and sitting in a low lying area (much of which was originally dredged from the Potomac, may have something to do with it
* Reports from the other side of the river (National Mall) were rarely more than 1 or 2 inches higher than DCA
* Reports from the National Arboretum could be higher by 3 to 5 inches
* No doubt the "rise" that begins in Georgetown from the coastal plain toward the Piedmont has an impact. Anecdotally, for events that began when the temperature was just above freezing, this had a greater effect.
* I don't believe core sampling is an issue, but I might be wrong. From my now-sketchy understanding, snow depth is still snow depth and should be measured using a snowboard in an exposed, representative area with a snow-stick :)

If anyone has more thoughts or definite answers for these days, I'm still curious!

Glad to see so many folks helping take accurate snow measurements! Even for non-cocorahs folks, the link below is great for learning how to measure everything snow

Posted by: wxdancer | February 6, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell me who conducts the measurements at Reagan National?

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

re: report viewing issue. It does seem there is one. We will work to resolve it, but the reports will hold whether or not the map currently works so please continue to send them in.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

So how much rain and/or snow on Tuesday? Good article here on why it's been so cold this winter.

Posted by: blablabla | February 6, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

WXDancer,

Thanks for your informative comments about DCA (I missed your post prior to posting my last one). Sounds like there may be a reasonable explanation for the absurdly low measurements there.

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria VA, Carlyle neighborhood:I shot this video earlier today around 12:30 pm. I posted this in the previous thread, but I've now appended the HD version of the video (it took a while for Youtube to process it). I just finished dinner and am heading out to take some DSLR shots. The few iPhone shots that I've taken already are in a Flickr slideshow at the bottom of the post. When I get back from my walk and upload my DSLR shots, they'll show up in that same slideshow. I'll take some measurements while I'm out too.

Posted by: joelhousman | February 6, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

"Good article here on why it's been so cold this winter."

I thought it was due to global warming - I'm sorry, I meant climate change.

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I hope the meteorological movers and shakers in this city, including CWG, lobby hard to move the official measurements away from DCA. This storm has again proven how inadequate those measurements are. There are plenty of other places in where better measurements could be taken.

The snowfall differences between DCA and IAD and BWI(and Philadelphia, for that matter) over the years are laughable. Philadelphia's airport sits nearly at sea level and they had 26.7 inches from this storm, about the same as BWI.

Something is way wrong with snow measuring at IAD, whether it's the location or how they do measure.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't get my snow report 2 go thru, tried several times, also don't c any amouts on snowfall totals map. I couldn't view them 4 the last storm, what am I doing wrong?

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 6, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, in previous post meant to say something is way wrong with the way snow is measured at DCA, not IAD.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I have to say it's kind of nice for it to not be snowing. If interested, I posted a couple of post-snow evening pics.

Posted by: spgass1 | February 6, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1:

Do you know who measures the snowfall at DCA?

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

jn1ckg,
are you serious? do you want to go there?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

its official... President Obama referred to this storm as #Snowmageddon. Guessing Obama has been to @capitalweather

Posted by: timeagle | February 6, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Liberal Walter in Liberal Falls Church,

Let's go there! Bring it on!

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey all, for those asking about the snow reporting, it's back up. A file was missing from the server.

Such is life.

Posted by: Jamie Jones | February 6, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@spgass1, Gollum measures the snow at DCA. He uses hobbit-size instruments.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, does anybody know who does the measuring of snow at DCA? Perhaps someone could humor me and put my paranoid suspicions to rest. I recognize there is probably a good explanation for the absurdly low snow totals at DCA, but if I knew it was some machine performing the measurements or was otherwise verifiable,I wouldn't be paranoid anymore.

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

There is NO way the feds can expect people to get to work. We are being told not to go out on the roads.

Liberal leave would be a copout.

Posted by: dc_attorney | February 6, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

one or two epic wonderful beautiful snowstorms in washington dc DO NOT disprove global warming theory.

besides which, washington's winter has been average or juuuust barely colder than average. the GLOBE (as in "global" warnming) has been WARMER THAN EVER this past decade.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

that last comment was for jn1ckg.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Groff | February 6, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I do believe the numbers at DCA for the most part -- last night they were above freezing for a good bit which probably held them back by a few inches at the start. It would be nice if there was another station in DC that could reported on the national news etc. We sound a little more wimpy when we're "crippled" by 17" rather than 24".

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Comparing "top" storms, that is.

Posted by: Groff | February 6, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

The IAD number was corrected from 32.4" to 28.4" .. updated in post. Also, the IAD number for the season I mentioned earlier appears wrong too. LWX is probably overworked right now.. numbers in all the wrong places tonight.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Groff, you said/asked
"Has anyone ever constructed a "normed" snowfall comparison -- that is, using some sort of average for the DC area?"

that's what i suggested earlier. it really seems crazy to use the data from one place to be representative of dc - especially given the inherent variability in snow storms and the "bands" and so forth that come through.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say global warming wasn't occurring just because of a couple snow storms. In fact, I think global warming is probably occurring - just not to the extent that you alarmists say it is, and I also don't think man has much to do with it. The fact is, carbon's been way, way, way up in the last decade and it's gotten colder. By the way, were you one of those people way back in the 70's convinced we were headed for another Ice Age?

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I think it's been posted before, but the National Park Service does the measuring at DCA.

;)

Posted by: ah___ | February 6, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

jn1ckg

I expect the Reagan measurement is accurate. After the storm ended I measured at a half dozen spots at Iwo Jima down to Rosslyn. All were between 17 and 20 with 18 being the most common. That said, I don't diagree that Reagan is not the most representative place to be the place of record.

Posted by: marathoner | February 6, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

My last comment was meant for Liberal Walter from Liberal Falls Church.

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

So Dulles has received 32.4 inches so far this month. How much snow did Dulles receive from this storm alone?

Posted by: dmorack | February 6, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Glad I wasnt going crazy with my 32 - Im about 8 miles SW of the IAD reporting station - we obviously were set up nicely in those bands overnight and this morning. Its unreal out here. I only had about 20 in Dec...Loudoun County, VA - SNOW CAPITAL OF THE USA!

Posted by: DullesARC | February 6, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

The snowfall measurements at both IAD and DCA are bogus, unless they've been corrected. IAD is claiming 32.1 but the depth is only ("only"!) 20.0. Now that seems on the low side but no way they got 32.1. And DCA is reporting 29.6 for February and 53.6 overall--less than an inch short of the all-time seasonal snow record. BS! The depth got only to 16 at DCA and there's no way they got 8.7 plus 17.6 = 26.3 from this storm! (I got about 21.5 at nearly feet MSL not far from the Navasl Observatory.)

Something is rotten in Denmark. I've sent an email to some of the metereologists at Sterling asking them if they can explain what's going on.

It was a lovely storm (I also voted for #4) and you guys did a very fine job.

DD

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 6, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

jn1ckg, you asserted,
"The fact is, carbon's been way, way, way up in the last decade and it's gotten colder."

data please?

(btw, i agree that "carbon's way way way up", but disagree with the "it's gotten colder".)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

In Minneapolis, I've heard them say say things like "there were 4 inches of snow but only 3 accumulated," in which case 4 inches is what accrues to the seasonal (and storm) tally. Maybe the downtown area should be credited for the extra inch or two that essentially melted on contact?

Posted by: eddiedog2 | February 6, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

So, I've been following everything with such envy. Here in NYC, we've received nearly nothing...basically a quarter of an inch...if that. I just heard about a potential large storm for mid-week here...biblical proportions I think what I heard. Do you guys know anything about this?

Posted by: KaloramaPark | February 6, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Dulles had 28.4 inches. I should have waited another minute or so for the update. You guys are great!

Posted by: dmorack | February 6, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I meant "nearly 300 feet MSL near the Naval Observatory" where I measured 21.5.

Clumsy fingers. Sorry.

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 6, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Marathoner,

Thank you for the serious response. But how could the measurement in Alexandria be 24", over 6" more than DCA! Also, I'm not positive, but I don't think your measurements gibe with the ones I've heard on TV. I don't know where the measurement is taken in Alexandria - perhaps, Roslyn is closer - but 6+" difference is hard to believe.

And to Ah_________,

Thank you also for letting me know the Nat. Park Service does the measurements. This does not surprise me. They are the same ones who said that about 200 people came to the Tea Party gathering in DC last year.

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Ian, Frodo believed Gollum, too. ; ))

But you're right there was some sleet last night. I was out at 2:30 a.m. and there was a mix of snow and sleet even up here in the Glover Park Sierras. You're also right that we need a more representative total for the D.C. area. College Park airport because it's further north but not very far above sea level or NIH (which is at a higher altitude than College Park) could work.

@jn1ckg, I didn't intend to dis your sincere question. I have no idea how measurements are done at DCA. But having lived here since 1966, and paid very close attention to snowfall data, DCA snowfall totals utterly suck as representating the entire D.C. metro area!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

jn1ckg, you said,
"I thought it was due to global warming - I'm sorry, I meant climate change."

then claimed,

"I didn't say global warming wasn't occurring just because of a couple snow storms."

well...you certainly implied it.... it's the typical denialist idiocy we hear every time it gets cold or snows...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Office of Personnel Management Director John Berry said he plans to convene a conference call with local, state and federal officials on Sunday around 3 p.m. and hopes to announce his decision about Monday's operating status before the Super Bowl's kickoff.

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 6, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

jn1ckg,
were you among the 200?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

How's the Arctic Grasshopper holding up? Guessing he too might need a little dig-out.

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 6, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

As of 1pm, we had about 18.5 inches in our front yard in Dumfries. Had to finally give in and sacrifice my psuedo 'reporting station' where I had the yard stick to put shoveled snow. Would estimate about 5 more inches on the front walk after that. So I'll say approx 23.5 here. I hurt like there's no tomorrow. With southbridgedad out of commission with a broken ankle, it makes life hard on mama...

And so it goes. Hope all are well, and warm. Please take care!

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 6, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Liberal Walter:

"it's the typical denialist idiocy we hear every time it gets cold or snows..."

Kind of like how you guys always claim that every time there's a big hurricane, it's due to global warming. Except I didn't imply what you say I did: I just wouldn't put it past global warming alarmists like you to doctor data, even if that data doesn't really mean all that much. Have you heard of Climategate?

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

@Doubting David, the National Observatory would be a great place to take official snowfall measurements. It's in the city, in a slightly different microclimate than AU or Tenley. Since I live only a few blocks from there, I know we get a good bit more snow than DCA but no as much as Bethesda or the far northern and western 'burbs. It's a perfect location!

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

ennepe68,
well...he's kind of disguised as a pile of snow now.... but, i believe he will be reincarnated soon. actually, looking at the long-term temp predictions, it may be wed/thur before he's "reborn"....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Liberal Walter,

It's been nice trouncing - sorry, I mean, debating - you, but I'm going to curl up with my Michelle Malkin book for the rest of the evening (she's very smart!).

Take care. Hope you didn't take things too seriously!

Posted by: jn1ckg | February 6, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Great Walter, looking forward to some more pics. Best I could do here is a poor representation of Devil's Tower. May be 1:20 scale by week's end, though.

Posted by: ennepe68 | February 6, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

NWS weather station in Manassas at the airport says its 5 degrees...think this is an error?

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

And also, on the fox news web site they quoted Obama as calling the storm Snowmaggedon also!
CWG is gonna' be famous!

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

jn1ckg, you said,
"I just wouldn't put it past global warming alarmists like you to doctor data..."

aaaahhhh....i see...the under-reporting of snow accumulations from national ariport is part of a vast left-wing CONSPIRACY....

good one. thanks for the insight. do you believe men landed on the moon?.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow we will build a snow fort.

People are shoveling out their cars and putting the snow into the street waiting for the plows to come. Huge piles!!!

OMG It seems like those piles will be there forever.

It seems like about 26 inches here in Olney. Last time we measured it was 23.75 and hadn't stopped snowing.

Posted by: celestun100 | February 6, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Walter,

Let it go. Feeding them only encourages them.

Posted by: Ken_Davis1 | February 6, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

CWG -- you've done it again. Outstanding reporting, analysis and honest opinions. Kudos and "props" (as my daughter would say). I was prepared with provisions for not only the family, but for emergencies too. Got an unexpected visitor this evening that may be with us a while. Thanks!! :)

Posted by: southbridgemom | February 6, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I figure I got 22 or 23 inches of snow at my place in Alexandria. Going by the size of the wheels on my car, the snow was to the top of those and about the under side of the wheel arch of my car fender.

Was out for about 2 hours digging my car out. Still a bunch to go but most of the snow is off and dug a moat 3/4 of the way around the car. Just waiting for the apartment complex plow contractor to screw me over somehow by piling snow in front of me or running one pass through the parking lot.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | February 6, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Floyd and the others: This just to tell you I got a really nice response from Chris Strong at NWS to my measurement question. He said they've got some figuring out to do and he will get back to me. Those guys are gems, even though they bust forecasts occasionally and make some weird measurements; they work hard, are smart, and are great public servants. Go NWS! And I'm glad to see IAD adjusted downward to 28.4, although I'd love to know the process by which that was done.

DD

Posted by: doubtingdavid | February 6, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Ken_Davis1, you siad,
"Let it go. Feeding them only encourages them."

thanks...you're right....breathe in....breathe out....

and i let so many of those stupid "this snowstorm disproves global warming" comments go during the storm... i guess now that it's over i'm a little testy....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Everyone: DCA has been on the low end of snow totals long before people starting talking about global warming.

The ONLY time I can recall DCA being on the high end was the 1987 Veterans Day storm. I was working downtown that day and the 11.5" DCA figure was accurate for the D.C. "heat island" because there was a microburst. IAD came in much lower that day.

As noted in this thread DCA's figures were similar to measurements taken near the Iwo Jima Memorial. Rosslyn had 18". Ballston, which is roughly two miles west of Rosslyn, had 28". Was it being near the river that caused the low DCA and Rosslyn totals?

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Washington (DCA) versus Dulles (IAD) snow totals:

DCA for all intents an purposes is at sea level; Dulles is 312 feet above sea level. With an easterly wind component, near surface airflow must rise with the contours of topography. This gives an extra lift ("kick") to the storm wide vertical motions responsible for generating the precipitation. All else being equal, this alone would account to some degree for the higher snow totals at Dulles. The same is true for all regions elevated with respect of DCA

Other factors also come into play, for example, the location of DCA measurements with respect to buildings, runways, machinery (IAD is a much more open area). There's also the influence of the Potomac with water temps cold, but at or above freezing.

I believe I've seen an NWS blurb on this, but can't recall when and where right now.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

now onto the Super Bowl

Posted by: Pnflkc3 | February 6, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

just want to echo my thanks to CWG...you all are the absolute best - you are not in the least bit cocky about your forcast, but instead embrace the fact that it is an imperfect science and lay it all out there for us.

you have been my first check for weather for the past few years, and you will continue to be (even despite the fact that you are part of the washington post).

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 6, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Channel 9 is explaining to people how to use a television.

If you lost your power. And your cable. But had a generator. And had a digital converter box. But didn't know how to operate it. And had rabbit ears. But didn't know what they were for.

AND -- somehow were able to watch Channel 9. To follow the directions. On how to watch Channel 9.

Well, I guess it could happen.

Posted by: Groff | February 6, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Agree with natsfan76. CWG is by far the singly most reliable, accurate and down-to-earth weather outlet I've ever known.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | February 6, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

For my fellow Howard County residents - found a cool tool on the HoCo gov't website called "Snow Plow Tracker". You can see which roads have been treated, and when the plows are out you can see where they are by GPS in the trucks. They have a message posted now that says they are not even starting on residential neighborhoods until Sun PM, and hope to have all roads clear by Tuesday.

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

All this news about the science behind DCA's frustratingly low snowfall totals (and other measurements) is great, but who has decided that National Airport is the place that DC's official snow totals must be tallied and why are they unwilling to change that location? Surely there are better areas with existing meteorological instruments that they could measure from elsewhere in the region. Unfortunately these readings at DCA represent all of us, whether we live inside or outside the Beltway.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

wow - PG county rep just on the phone w/ Fox 5 - basically telling county residents not to expect plows in the neighborhoods until tuesday.

Posted by: natsfan76 | February 6, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

CWG Appreciation Night. Love not only how well you forecast this storm, but the grace with which you dealt with instigators, critics, and skeptics of all kinds.

Posted by: AlexBike | February 6, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@Groff: I once watched Roby Chavez on Fox 5 explain and demonstrate what an ice scraper is for.

Posted by: ZF-MD | February 6, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

doubtingdavid, it sounds like the 32.4 was measured at the NWS office which is close to IAD and can be used for their numbers? I guess it's a good sign of how big a storm is when measuring what fell is such a difficult process.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't think one snow storm proves or disproves man caused global warming.

However, there is no covering up the fact of late there has been a lot of self inflicted damage done by those that believe man is the cause of global warming.

Posted by: irish031 | February 6, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I have to measure more, but my initial measurements in Reston, VA gave me between 23.5"-24". My neighbor however, measured a solid 31" in his driveway. I will be reporting on my final measurements soon.

Also, somewhere I heard that DCA recorded 29", is this true? Also, IAD recorded 30"+.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay so I have to repost because you guys are arguing and didn't hear my question. The Manassas airport is still reporting 5 degrees. Is this possible? The low for the night is supposed to be 9.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Are there no weather geeks in Prince Georges County? The CWG reports map has tons of reports from every jurisdiction except PG. It's like someone put up a wall.

Posted by: rocotten | February 6, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh and by the way, CWG, you rock.

Posted by: manassasmissy | February 6, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

^ MoCo statement says neighborhood plowing won't begin until Tuesday, and that they're going to have to remove the snow, taking way more time.

Seems highly unlikely MoCo schools will be open at all next week.

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 6, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

manassasmissy....NWS website has Manassas at 5 degrees, but the Weather Channel has it at 16....not sure which is correct?

Posted by: kathyb39 | February 6, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

manassasmissy, you said,
"Oh and by the way, CWG, you rock."

indeed!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

@ManassasMissy, I witnessed the same issue the other day with Dulles Airport. They recorded a low of 6 Deg. F., but my low (I am nearby, and higher in elevation in Reston) was only 12 Deg. F. Generally, IAD is warmer than my location. I think I figured out the answer: Their reporting station is so much lower to the ground than mine, that they are affected to a greater extent by radiative cooling. With the extra snow-pack on top of the ground, their temps. will run considerably lower even more so, and the same would also account for their higher recorded temps. in Summer, when the heat saturated ground causes their readings to spike above mine. Beyond instrumentation issues, this is the only explanation which I have.

BTW, the temperature in Reston, VA is currently 18 Deg. F.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

@manassasmissy, yes, GWG is a great group of forecasters, commentators, etc.

So let's give them at least 12 hours to catch their breath before we start noodging them about storm totals, timings, etc. for Tues-Wed. Or, next Saturday's possible snow.

(If someone could locate snowfall records for March 1960, I'm almost certain D.C. had snow on three successive Wednesdays that month.)

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

mamory1975 - I echo weatherdudeVA - great photos..

weatherdudeVA - Final measurements: 2 feet in Lake Ridge (average of several measurements).

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 6, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

P.S. manassmissy, its -5 celisus or 23 degrees F at Manassas Airport
see http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.833824233697726&lon=-77.50236511230469&site=lwx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

The same page did list plus 5 F in Manassas awhile ago but it's been changed. Weather folks are fatigued; we cut them some slack tonight.

Posted by: JerryFloyd1 | February 6, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: samdman95 | February 6, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

It's nice that the snow has stopped. Yay! Now, where's the snow plow?

Posted by: eabgarnet | February 6, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all of the nice words... we really appreciate them and are very grateful for the wonderful community of readers/participants here.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Measured 24.5 inches of snow at 1730 in Camp Springs. I find it difficult to comprehend that, just outside of Andrews AFB, we had some 7 more inches of snowfall than DCA. Regarding Tuesday night into Wednesday, the models appear to favor further north for a rather significant snowfall. Appears that this area would be on the southern fringe for a dusting to perhaps a couple of inches.

Posted by: johnnierat | February 6, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

So here I am at my condo complex in Oakton. The lights flickered time and again but power stayed on. I spent the day not only digging my car out but also getting snow off sagging trees. Thanks to the neighbors who helped!

Posted by: SPS1 | February 6, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, ZmanVA :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 6, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Lol @ eabgarnet, I'm actually sick of the plows. They completely buried my driveway in, and it took my entire family, as well as the entire family from across the street (Whose son is ROTC, and bound to become a Marine), to finally clear us out. Also, a tree collapsed at the top of my neighborhood and blocked the whole road. Another neighbor chainsawed that. We take care of ourselves here, forget the government ;-p

On an interesting note, I heard a transformer blowing ever since this morning (It kept making that electric arcing sound). Finally tonight I heard it while outside, and the entire sky lit up green and blue. I JUST missed catching it on my camera. Since we don't have pole-mounted transformers anywhere nearby, I'm assuming that it was coming from the sub-station about a half-mile away.

Also, I just have to say what a difference that snowshoes make lol. I was walking on the powdery sidewalk, and I packed it down. Then it was so easy to walk, that I felt like I was on pavement with regular shoes. So I figured, hey, let me take the snowshoes off, and as soon as I took my first step on the packed snow with a bare boot, my foot went in well past the ankle. On the 4 Ft. drifts too, I still sink somewhat, but the snowshoe lets me continue walking easier, and whereas the snow is up past my waist with a bare boot, it only goes up to my knee with the snowshoe. I did fall down backwards once though (Into the 3-4 Ft. drift), and I couldn't get back-up with the darn things on lol. Thanks God for my Husky, she pulled me out :-D

Posted by: TheAnalyst | February 6, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I took it about 7 pm about 20 feet away from any building but on the south side of a small hill. The neighbors' slightly pitched rooftops had significantly more snow on their southern sides late this afternoon as the north wind was presumably blowing some snow off the north facing sides.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 6, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane, you said,
"On N 26th St in Arlington - down the hill from Marymount - my "official" measurement was 23" using a yardstick on my driveway."

did it begin sticking immediately on your drive? i know a few good inches were wasted at the beginning of the storm on my driveway.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Great job, CWG. Thanks to you, I've been keeping an eye on this storm for the past week. Appreciate your thoughtful forecasts.

Posted by: jms8 | February 6, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Reps from MoCo and Fairfax have said when neighborhoods will get plowed. Have any DC officials commented?

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | February 6, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane, you said,

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch

*************************

No, but I wasn't trying to guesstimate anything but the snow accumulation. First flakes were falling at 1015 but there was no significant accumulation til late afternoon yesterday.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | February 6, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

It sounded like Fenty was on board for things to be running well by Monday based on WaPo link. Looking outside I have some doubts. In other news, the models are trending a bit more powerful with the coastal for tue/wed... this setup usually favors areas to the northeast but in this winter?

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 6, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Do you think anyone in our area will be able to order pizza for SuperBowl Sunday?

Posted by: nicegirlindc | February 6, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

0z GFS shows 10+" for the area Tuesday night

Posted by: Dylan0513 | February 6, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I love snow, but unlike December's event, I have to say this is not a "pretty snow storm." It looks like a snow bomb went off. Even the trees (that aren't limping or down) have clumps of "snow chum" - no frosting effect this time around. And it's like walking through shredded ice, no powder - just icy gurp. The one thing that makes it amazingly beautiful is how the ice crystals are reflecting the lights at night - ahh....diamond dust.

Not surprised by DCA's total versus Dulles - I don't know what the mix was - but there was a mix and temps stayed at or above freezing for a long time at the outset and through the night to the south and east.

Finally, on the global cliamte nondebate- the incredible amount of mositure in this storm out of the Pacific due to higher sea surface temps should make the skeptics realize how increased sea surface temps directly effect storm patterns and severity. Here it's attributed to el Nino, but the storm demonstrates the potential impacts of climate change. Duh.

Posted by: manatt | February 6, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Dylan0513,
re 10"+ on GFS: you're $%^*ing me!

Joel_M_Lane,
i had more accumulation on the grass.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 6, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Look at it this way--since moving the measurements to DCA, this is the second most snow ever. I'm sure the bloggers in '79 were moaning about how DCA was not representative either.

Posted by: ah___ | February 6, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Old Town Alexandria update:

I've now posted a ton of pictures I took with my Canon 40D DSLR. These were taken in the Carlyle neighborhood of Alexandria between Eisenhower Avenue & Duke Street. Our apartment is on Eisenhower and we walked up the hill by the USPTO and out to Duke. I snapped some shots of the George Washington Masonic Memorial/Temple and we headed back home. I also took a panoramic shot on my iPhone up near Duke St. See the pics here. Also, there is a youtube video that I shot from earlier today around 12:30 pm when it was still snowing pretty hard.

Posted by: joelhousman | February 6, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@heatherdc1980:
who/when commented about Fairfax plowing? thanks!

Posted by: TheBorg | February 6, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

The unofficial total in my yard was about 20" around noon. We live in southern Prince Georges between MD 210 and the river in Ft Washington, about 6 miles south of DCA. I'm sure we got another 4+ inches this afternoon, which puts us in the same range as the earlier post from Camp Springs, which is a few miles north east of us. Regarding DCA, I know in a lot of storms our totals tend to be lower due to the warming influence of the Potomac (or is it just because we are in the dreaded "south/east suburbs)so a lower total doesn't surprise me. What does, is HOW much lower they always seem to be. Count me in the camp of moving the official reporting station for DC metro to the Navel Observatory!

Posted by: ftwash | February 6, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Err, I meant the NAVAL Observatory...LOL!

Posted by: ftwash | February 6, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Final tally: 22" in Annandale/Merrifield. Most of my local friends seem to have in the 25" range, so perhaps I have a poor measuring regime. :-p

Posted by: TheBorg | February 7, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

@jrodfoo: do you have a reference for that statement re: John Berry? i haven't seen/heard that reported anywhere else. thanks!

Posted by: TheBorg | February 7, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Jason and team: Thank you for doing such a superb job of keeping us posted throughout the storm. Power went out for us here in Silver Spring about noon and just came back online.

Posted by: concernedcitizen40 | February 7, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

to my friends at capital weather: thank you. you guys crushed this one out of the park from the beginning.

bring on the next one. and then lets have a beautiful drought free spring and summer.

to the DCA haters... at least they are consistent. and when you're measuring to compare one year to another consistency is the most important thing.

Posted by: dotjeffdot | February 7, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jrodfoo | February 7, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks CWG for keeping us informed throughout the storm! Best Washington area blog for locals by far.

@Dylan0513
I really hope you're joking... I can take another few inches, but not ten.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | February 7, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

clearly the massive snowfall amounts are caused by man made global warming. just think how much snow there would have been without GW, 40 maybe 50 inches.

Posted by: skeptic11 | February 7, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm following this from afar (in the ATL). Kudos to the CWG for the updates and info. Just wondering if anyone can confirm snowfall totals for the Valley? My folks reported 24" outside Stephens City at 11am, but I see that subsequent totals for the Clarke/Warren/Winc region are higher. Any updates?

Posted by: rsconne | February 7, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

I just had 5 friends walk over for wine, lasagna and homemade bread tonight. We all agreed, after a major day of shoveling and more of that tomorrow, that the 32" reported for Dulles is our official total also in Centreville.

The snow is so compacted, and so high, it is well above 2 feet. We are exactly 10 miles south of Dulles on 28, and feel we are not cheating at all on that 32" figure. I barely got a pathway dug from my front door to the road for them to get to my house. We literally have walls of snow. There is no where to put the stuff. And my car is still buried.

Have a lot of work ahead of me tomorrow before kick-off time!!! Go Saints!!!

Cheers, all.

PS: The Trader Joe's Grand Reserve Russian River Pinot Noir, $12.99 - spectacular. Make sure you use the proper glass for this. I am a Cabernet drinker, usually, but this Pinot is just amazing.

Posted by: bobosnow | February 7, 2010 2:11 AM | Report abuse

JerryFloyd1 (and anyone else interested):

A good site to check weather records is at the Baltimore Sun Weather Forecast page, located at:

Enter a Zip Code in the search box, click 'Go', then scroll down to the boxes with month, date and year. On the results page, you'll get the daily totals, daily averages and high/low (as appropriate) records, monthly totals, and yearly/seasonal totals. Records are from the NWS (or predecessor(s)), and go back to 1949 for most locales.

BTW - I did a search of Zip Code 21202 (McLean) for March 31, 1960, and the monthly total for snow in that locale was zip. Doubtful that it was March 1960 that snow fell on three consecutive Wednesdays (or any other days) for the total to be zip for the month. McLean is close enough that if snow fell at DCA, it would have fallen in McLean, at least on one of those days.

Posted by: critter69 | February 7, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Those 32 inch totals around Rt 50 and 28 in Western FX and Eastern Loudoun seem to be verifying very well...I had areas where I was getting 40 (with a few inches still from the other day) and some where it was 28 or so...the 32 inches I reported here and to the NWS is the best avg I could get...my exact location is north of Braddock, South of 50 and about a mile west of 659 and two miles east of the Bull Run Mts. Also known as the Bullseye. I also had a great measuring spot that was a few degrees cooler because the sun is blocked from the pavement this time of year due to the location of the townhouse in front of my place...the ENE wind was also sheltered a bit in this area. All told, a perfect spot to measure.

Posted by: DullesARC | February 7, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Do you realize that none of the links in this story lead anywhere relevant. The statistical information you sight doesn't have anything for 2010, Jan or Feb, so when you say that this is the worst snow winter, there is nothing to back up your statement

Posted by: MayorEd | February 7, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse