The new Washington

Snowmageddon: Must-see photos and videos

By Jason Samenow

* Calm weekend: Full Forecast | Monday snow outlook *
* Politician sounds off on snow | Snow stats | Best of storm comments *
* News, traffic & storm coverage: Local home page | Get There *

snowmageddon-1.jpg
Night snow landscape in Ashburn, Va. Submitted by Will Ingersoll.

Despite all the disruption caused by Snowmageddon and the Snoverkill blizzard, several user-submitted photos and videos (sent to CWG via email, in comment links and through our Facebook page) artistically have documented the beautiful elements of the storm. Check them out. They are must-sees...

First see this inspired video shot and produced by Jordan Gantz and Nathan Golon in Columbia Heights:

Washington, DC Snow Storm from Es Video! on Vimeo.

Keep reading to view more great photos and video...

This vintage-style video was shot in Hyattsville, Md. by Cherie Siebert.

Here is a selection of a number of additional great pictures submitted to CWG and washingtonpost.com:

snowmageddon-10.jpg
People dig out the three snow plows stuck in Mt. Pleasant. Submitted by robyne13

snowmageddon-4.jpg
Digging out in Baltimore. Submitted by berthot.

snowmageddon-5.jpg
Submitted by todd5.

snowmageddon-8.jpg
snowmaggedon 2.0. Submitted by chazzcab.

snowmageddon11.jpg
Rock Creek Park or the Blue Ridge? Submitted by stevebeeson.

walter-shark.jpg
An incredible snow sculpture of a shark in Falls Church, by Walter Crain (walter-in-fallschurch) | More of Walter's sculptures.

snowmageddon12.jpg
Capitol Hill. Submitted by dagnyT.

snowmageddon-14.jpg
The National Mall. Submitted by pushkin709.

In addition to these photos and videos, there are ton of other great Snowmageddon and Snoverkill photos in the washingtonpost.com photo gallery and videos on YouTube and Vimeo. Post links to your favorites in the comment area below and/or if you shot your own, feel free to post the link(s)...

By Jason Samenow  | February 13, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Photography, Snowmageddon
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday snow: Light to moderate, unlikely big
Next: Forecast: More snow a day away

Comments

wow...that pic from todd5 is incredible! love the tonality. looks like a drawing.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I posted both of these during the two snow storms, but since you made a video/photos post, I'll repost them in case some people didn't see them before. These were taken in Alexandria.

The snowstorm of last Saturday: Lots of videos and photos that my fiance and I took.

The Tues/Wednesday storm. Again, more photos and videos that we took during the storm.

Posted by: joelhousman | February 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Have you considered starting a CWG Flickr group? There are tons of AMAZING photos of the storm on Flickr, many of them in DC groups, and I bet you'd get even more submissions that way!

Posted by: thecleve29 | February 13, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

a little fun in the snow...homemade bobsled/tubing track in Rosslyn

Posted by: asimo | February 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

....God forbid they should revise history, the old version was so ... mmmmmmmm one-sided? incomplete? racially biased?

CWG feel free to delete my comment along with the klansman's it refers to.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 13, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Walter, love the shark! An embarrassment of riches this time, huh?

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

A short video of the snow in Baltimore (S. Bouldin St. in Canton) as it happened:

Snowpocalypse in Baltimore (Timelapse)

(I had nothing to do with the making or production of this video - - I found it on the Baltimore Sun web site. Thanks should go to 3SonsProduction for the video.)

Several people 'appreciated' (as in 'got a chuckle') the shoveling of the sidewalks seen near the end of the clip.

Posted by: critter69 | February 13, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful photos! Love the black and white one!

Posted by: ThinkGreen | February 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I checked the readers' photogallery every day during Snowmageddon/Snoverkill - the selections above are great, and it is worth checking out the full gallery. Thanks for this community service!

Posted by: eyeofthebeholder | February 13, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I made it back to sunny CA, so thanks CWG for letting me know what I was getting into on my DC business trip last week! My pictures aren't as spectacular as some already posted, since the most interesting scenes happened at times when I couldn't stop to take a picture, but here are a few that I could take:

Posted by: demogreen | February 13, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Foot's forecast is calling for a solid six inches in the area and as high as 12 in northern parts of Maryland. How come the models are so far off from each other?

Posted by: thecavs1 | February 13, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Here's some photos from last weekend and during the week. From Friday night down to the mall during the start of the blizzard, to the snowball fight on Dupont Circle Saturday, to drifts at night after the second one, and then the day after the day after tomorrow! Join nearly 13000 fans on http://facebook.com/Snowpocalypse

These are all high-res. Please feel free to use for anything that's not for profit that you like. Credit and notification please. :)

Posted by: ChadwickWDC | February 13, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I love seeing everyone's photos, and I really enjoyed the videos posted here. Thanks for sharing. Here are my flickr links-

The day of the 2/6 storm

The day after

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 13, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

ChickenLady,
thanks! there's so much snow it feels like cheating...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 13, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@thecavs1

The models aren't that different. 6" in northern maryland is possible. our forecast indicates amounts will increase to the north.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 13, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

FYI, I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Walter's latest creation is on Channel 9. Love the shark Walter!!!!

Thanks for all the great pics everyone.

Kim in Manassas

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | February 13, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

So Walter, are you going to use up the rest of that snow for something else? :D

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 13, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

@ CWG, seriously, go ahead and delete my first comment on this thread, along with the return of the Knight..... (you had already deleted his/her/its first post by the time mine appeared)

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 13, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

@ ksrgatorfn1
@ walter-in-falls-church, we'll be able to say we "knew him when...." Back before you were famous! You are a very talented guy, seriously.

Posted by: ChickenLady | February 13, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

i'll never forget you guys (um...er...gals...)

;-)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 13, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The pictures of streets are unbelievable

Sad too as they are probably taken 2-3 days after the storm yet still untouched by any plows

Posted by: Bious | February 13, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I've got some photos up - mostly from after smowmageddon, but before snoverkill, at http://heney.net/blizzard2010 . The tree down at the end of our block made life interesting ...

Posted by: mheney | February 13, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Here is how my fiance and I spent snowmageddon in Glenmont, MD http://www.russellandkristina.com/blog/2010/we-survived-the-snowpocalypse-of-2010/

After the storm, I went out at 1:30am to take some long exposures of the wintry landscape http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingkool68/sets/72157623385345966/

Posted by: kingkool68 | February 13, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

A few shots taken most around Capitol Hill this week: http://www.flickr.com/photos/em_ali/

Posted by: em_ali | February 14, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Here's one of my friend karate kicking in the snow:

Posted by: monkeyonkeyboard | February 14, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Those pictures are AWESOME!

I can't take my eyes off of the one black and white. It is memorizing.

Mr. Q.